• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

The Biking thread

"What we need is what the government promised 10 years ago; an in-depth review of road traffic laws and penalties. Better road traffic laws will help to ensure our roads are safer for all communities. It's time the government answered our consistent call for a full review."

Last edited:
"What we need is what the government promised 10 years ago; an in-depth review of road traffic laws and penalties. Better road traffic laws will help to ensure our roads are safer for all communities. It's time the government answered our consistent call for a full review."
The proposal looks like a solution looking for a problem - there is a problem with dangerous cycling, but I'm far from convinced that it's "deaths by". Currently, it's just a button to press on the culture war panel.

I absolutely agree with the quote above though (and not just for road safety, but probably the whole of the law book, and tax codes, and...); our road safety laws (like everything else) have been developed piecemeal; starting from a time when the only way to go faster than a run, was on horseback. Mostly, of course, it dates back to the 60s when cars were... different beasts.
It's evolved piecemeal, and really wants a cohesive overhaul (which will probably be needed again in 50 years time).

The proposal looks like a solution looking for a problem - there is a problem with dangerous cycling, but I'm far from convinced that it's "deaths by". Currently, it's just a button to press on the culture war panel.

I absolutely agree with the quote above though (and not just for road safety, but probably the whole of the law book, and tax codes, and...); our road safety laws (like everything else) have been developed piecemeal; starting from a time when the only way to go faster than a run, was on horseback. Mostly, of course, it dates back to the 60s when cars were... different beasts.
It's evolved piecemeal, and really wants a cohesive overhaul (which will probably be needed again in 50 years time).
Definitely the wanton/furious driving (cycling) laws are pre-1900.

The road traffic act is vast and can't keep pace on technology. It would be interesting to know exactly what laws or parts people think needs changing.

I know people argue about stopping distances etc in modern vehicles but some research has shown stopping distances have decreased with technology whilst thinking distances have actually increased due to distractions in cars.

41m registered vehicles and counting (not including the illegal ones). Not enough police or cameras to catch negligent/distracted drivers. This Government doesn't want to deal with it, including what to do with e-scooters (just push it back to trials). So much easier to pick on one aspect that will stir the culture wars v cyclists.

Last edited:
I wish they would bring in legislation to do with E-bikes and E-scooter batteries. Mainly because of my current job but the increase is fires and fatal fires is shocking, and is likely to get worse.

I wish they would bring in legislation to do with E-bikes and E-scooter batteries. Mainly because of my current job but the increase is fires and fatal fires is shocking, and is likely to get worse.
Not helped by Govt. Consultation asking about increasing power of motors to 500ws. That's just asking for trouble. Apparently Most bike associations have replied no to it, as did I . And the throttle to 15.5mph.

Key to batteries for e-bikes is a BMS to reduce risk hence why I went with a Bosch one, but peeps buy cheap as or start putting as powerful ones on their e-bikes (deliveroo/ Uber eat riders).

E-scooters and this applies to those Surron e-bikes - why do they allow to sell them? Just asking for trouble - like peeps who buy them are going to just ride them on private land.

Unregistered electric motorbikes running around city streets. People pack 100lbs of crap on a bike and expect to stop it with road disc brakes. Madness.

See, this would be useful in a town or city. Be able to carry it up stairs if you lived in a flat, ride it to a train/tube station and take it on anytime, put it in the boot of your car. Just need to know how much it costs, their kickstand accessory and mudguards.

Latest posts