PDA

View Full Version : Ireland vs. Barbarians 27 May 2008

O'Rothlain
28-05-08, 03:24 AM
Well, with B.O'D. having to withdraw from the team after the death of a close family friend, Ireland faced the Baa Baas today. I've yet to see the match but am hoping that it magically arrives on my pc. So, let's hear some discussion about the pro's and con's we can take away from this match.
Setanta Sport had this to say:
</span></span><blockquote>Caretaker coach Michael Bradley took charge of an experimental Irish side that impressed when playing free-flowing counter-attack rugby.
</blockquote>In Contrast the BBC penned these lovely words:
<blockquote>Ireland&#39;s understrength team were scarcely impressive but still claimed a facile victory over a disorganised Barbarians outfit at Kingsholm.
</blockquote>Differing reviews from two seperate media sources. I personally would prefer to believe Setanta over the imperialist run overlords of the BBC...ha ha. :D
http://www.irishrugby.ie/images/news/kearney_barbarians.jpg
http://www.irishrugby.ie/images/news/bowe_try_barbarians.jpg
Timeline from IrishRugby.ie (http://www.irishrugby.ie/283_12310.php):
TIME LINE: 5 minutes - Ireland try: Tommy Bowe - 5-0; conversion: Paddy Wallace - 7-0; 10 mins - Ireland penalty: Paddy Wallace - 10-0; 21 mins - Ireland try: Shane Horgan - 15-0; conversion: Paddy Wallace - 17-0; 25 mins - Ireland try: Shane Horgan - 22-0; conversion: Paddy Wallace - 24-0; 40+2 mins - Barbarians try: Craig Newby - 24-5; conversion: Peter Newby - 24-7;
Half-time - Ireland 24 Barbarians 7; 46 mins - Ireland sin-binning: Isaac Boss (deliberate offside); 54 mins - Ireland penalty: Paddy Wallace - 27-7; 58 mins - Ireland try: Jamie Heaslip - 32-7; conversion: Paddy Wallace - 34-7; 69 mins - Barbarians try: Pedrie Wannenburg - 34-12; conversion: Peter Hewat - 34-14; 80+1 mins - Ireland try: Jamie Heaslip - 39-14; conversion: missed by Paddy Wallace - 39-14;
Full-time - Ireland 39 Barbarians 14
http://img225.imageshack.us/img225/6590/666699fh1.jpg

MunsterMan
28-05-08, 08:19 AM
Which team were the Barbarians? Seriously Ireland played more "Barbarians Rugby" than they did.

dangandan
28-05-08, 11:57 AM
wooohoooo fitzgerald!!

shazbooger
28-05-08, 12:17 PM
Ahhh the BaBa&#39;s as a tradition is quickly dying. Gone are the days when the best in the world used to wear the shirt, now you havent a clue who half these guys are.

Aside from slotting over two penalties Ireland entered into the spirit of the game and ran the ball from pretty much everywhere. Good hands, good support but not much of a challenge really.

Still, a handy workout.

Steve-o
28-05-08, 02:03 PM
How did Ross Skeate do? I love that dude lol

Thingimubob
28-05-08, 02:06 PM
Any chance of highlights? I found a video of Bowe&#39;s try (and a good try at that!) on YouTube, but no ighlights.

Fushitsusha
28-05-08, 03:06 PM
Was Larkham the only &#39;legendary&#39; player in that team?

Jer1cho
28-05-08, 03:52 PM
Is that Barbarian player in the first pic Hellboy?

shtove
28-05-08, 05:06 PM
Which team were the Barbarians? Seriously Ireland played more "Barbarians Rugby" than they did. [/b]
Wait till the Munster lads get back in the team with Kidney in charge - nobody will see the ball again ... ever!

MunsterMan
28-05-08, 05:34 PM
:lol:

Any chance of highlights? I found a video of Bowe&#39;s try (and a good try at that!) on YouTube, but no ighlights.
[/b]

One for the O&#39;s fans :(

O'Rothlain
28-05-08, 06:19 PM
Gentlemen,and Laetca,

I present to you the highlights:

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/31tlGCYbS78&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/31tlGCYbS78&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/wSrYfEGXlBk&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/wSrYfEGXlBk&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

danny
28-05-08, 06:41 PM
Sadly enough I went to the game last night and it was typical modern day Barbarians game. Credit to both sides for having a go but the Baa Baa`s defence was dreadfull to say the least. It was a bit of a let down that O`Driscoll had to pull out but the Irish side contained some of their better players apart from the Munster contingent. Horgan looked the most classy player on the park for Ireland with Newby (Leicesters new signing) the pick of a poor Baa Baas team. Just a quick word on Larkham. What a sad sight to see a former great so far off the pace it was embarrasing. The guy looked like an old man, not even remotely fit.Big shame that as he was the only really big name picked. Dont think the jap league can be up to much based on his performance and lack of conditioning.

Incredible Schalk
29-05-08, 09:24 AM
[/b]

"ROSS SKEATE STRETCHES THE LEGS!" :lol:

Im not sure, only saw the end of the first half, Ireland scored some very good tries. The baabaas now are filled with alot of journeymen, how about Sioseni Anesi though? cutting Tommy Bowe down (a fellow winger) from 15 metres behind in seconds.

Sadly enough I went to the game last night and it was typical modern day Barbarians game. Credit to both sides for having a go but the Baa Baa`s defence was dreadfull to say the least. It was a bit of a let down that O`Driscoll had to pull out but the Irish side contained some of their better players apart from the Munster contingent. Horgan looked the most classy player on the park for Ireland with Newby (Leicesters new signing) the pick of a poor Baa Baas team. Just a quick word on Larkham. What a sad sight to see a former great so far off the pace it was embarrasing. The guy looked like an old man, not even remotely fit.Big shame that as he was the only really big name picked. Dont think the jap league can be up to much based on his performance and lack of conditioning.
[/b]

Wasnt Jerry Collins on at all? to be honest though he has been off form for a while as well though.

MunsterMan
29-05-08, 02:22 PM
I thought Anesi had a shocker personally, very fast though.

danny
29-05-08, 05:55 PM
[/b]
Anesi was probably the worst defensive player on view that evening. The guy is a serious coward when it comes to tackling. On Skeate he got around the park pretty well but didnt do a lot. Looked very lightweight so lacked any real physical threat.

robbo1981
29-05-08, 06:12 PM
I thought Ireland were fantastic.

Incredible Schalk
29-05-08, 07:04 PM
<div class='quotemain'>
[/b]
Anesi was probably the worst defensive player on view that evening. The guy is a serious coward when it comes to tackling. On Skeate he got around the park pretty well but didnt do a lot. Looked very lightweight so lacked any real physical threat.
[/b][/quote]

Yea Skeate is quite lightweight, he normally starts on the bench for the Stormers. He was a basketball player so he is very skillful and his height is useful, i thought the Baa baas style of play would have suited him.

I never watched much of the game, Anesi doesnt usually start for the Chiefs so that obviously explains it, his chase on Bowe was very impressive though.

danny
29-05-08, 07:56 PM
<div class='quotemain'>
<div class='quotemain'>
[/b]
[/b][/quote]

Yea Skeate is quite lightweight, he normally starts on the bench for the Stormers. He was a basketball player so he is very skillful and his height is useful, i thought the Baa baas style of play would have suited him.

I never watched much of the game, Anesi doesnt usually start for the Chiefs so that obviously explains it, his chase on Bowe was very impressive though.
[/b][/quote]
The Baa Baa`s didnt have a style of play

shtove
30-05-08, 11:38 AM
I wouldn&#39;t take the game seriously - Malcolm O&#39;Kelly finding gaps in midfield says all you need to know about the opposition.

Incredible Schalk
30-05-08, 12:22 PM
<div class='quotemain'>
<div class='quotemain'>
<div class='quotemain'>
[/b]
[/b][/quote]

[/b][/quote]
The Baa Baa`s didnt have a style of play
[/b][/quote]

well the stereotypical stlye of Baabaas play is open free running rugby. Not in this case of course.

eoino
30-05-08, 05:49 PM
I think Ireland took a new approach to this game, a mostly 2nd string Irish side tore apart a very lowly geared Barbarian "Team" in a very impressive manner. Irelands defence was much adhorred by the baas and their open attacking play just brought a sence of flare, maybe showing us that this new generation of young Irish players (Fitzgereld etc) are not only talanted, but able to finish off any poor opposition in style.

The trip down under will prove very little, as the Munster lads will want to be laying upon bench chairs soaking up the summer sun after a very intence Hcup, I dont see ireland beating the ABs, but it should be a very good contest!

MunsterMan
30-05-08, 08:10 PM
Unless Bradley completely f***s everything up, we should beat the All Blacks. We have a side full of confidence after winning the HEC and ML as well as beating the Barbarians in the fashion that we did against a second string NZ side. We Have to win.

shtove
30-05-08, 09:05 PM
maybe showing us that this new generation of young Irish players (Fitzgereld etc) are not only talanted, but able to finish off any poor opposition in style.[/b]
Yeah, that&#39;s a good point.

Beat the ABs? Would be just like the Irish - do it when it doesn&#39;t fuggin&#39; matter.

O'Rothlain
30-05-08, 09:08 PM
Unless Bradley completely f***s everything up, we should beat the All Blacks. We have a side full of confidence after winning the HEC and ML as well as beating the Barbarians in the fashion that we did against a second string NZ side. We Have to win. [/b]
I agree...it&#39;s sort of our match to lose.

Sir Speedy
30-05-08, 09:08 PM
Unless Bradley completely f***s everything up, we should beat the All Blacks. We have a side full of confidence after winning the HEC and ML as well as beating the Barbarians in the fashion that we did against a second string NZ side. We Have to win.
[/b]

danny
30-05-08, 09:33 PM
<div class='quotemain'>
[/b]
[/b][/quote]
I have to agree with Sir Speedys little chuckle. The Irish boys are becoming slightly deluded after a meaning less win over a pathetic Baa Baa`s team. I`d bet my house on the AB`s winning comfortably, its a forgone conclusion, isnt it? Anyone remember the debacle at HQ?

O'Rothlain
30-05-08, 11:02 PM
<div class='quotemain'>
<div class='quotemain'>
[/b]
[/b][/quote]
I have to agree with Sir Speedys little chuckle. The Irish boys are becoming slightly deluded after a meaning less win over a pathetic Baa Baa`s team. I`d bet my house on the AB`s winning comfortably, its a forgone conclusion, isnt it? Anyone remember the debacle at HQ? [/b][/quote]
It&#39;s more than a win over the Barbarians. The Barbarians match just proved that the future of Irish Rugby is promising and there are a lot of good players to build on. Also, we&#39;ve got the European Champions and the Magners League Champions forming the national team. On the other hand, we have an All Black side depleted of some of it&#39;s greats and struggling to find a new identity. Ireland, I would have to say are going into this match with the advantage.

isaac
31-05-08, 01:54 AM
i don&#39;t believe they will challenge the Ab&#39;s or Australia. Southern hemisphere rugby still has to much class.

shtove
31-05-08, 02:28 AM
i don&#39;t believe they will challenge the Ab&#39;s or Australia. Southern hemisphere rugby still has to much class. [/b]
Aus? Last time round they got hammered by Ireland.

And SA was a comfortable win for us.

The RWC was a giant dog turd, but we&#39;re hoping that was just one poop in a field of dreams. The ABs will be a doddle.

Sir Speedy
31-05-08, 02:51 AM
<div class='quotemain'> <div class='quotemain'>
<div class='quotemain'>
[/b]
[/b][/quote]
I have to agree with Sir Speedys little chuckle. The Irish boys are becoming slightly deluded after a meaning less win over a pathetic Baa Baa`s team. I`d bet my house on the AB`s winning comfortably, its a forgone conclusion, isnt it? Anyone remember the debacle at HQ? [/b][/quote]
It&#39;s more than a win over the Barbarians. The Barbarians match just proved that the future of Irish Rugby is promising and there are a lot of good players to build on. Also, we&#39;ve got the European Champions and the Magners League Champions forming the national team. On the other hand, we have an All Black side depleted of some of it&#39;s greats and struggling to find a new identity. Ireland, I would have to say are going into this match with the advantage.
[/b][/quote]
Really? Have Ireland actually ever beaten New Zealand? (I&#39;m not having a go, I&#39;m just not sure). Home advantage still says to me that NZ will win. I think they&#39;d win in Croke Park is well to be honest. Australia and New Zealand put two of their teams in the Super 14 final, so I guess that they should be firm favourites because of this fact alone? I myself cannot see Ireland come close to New Zealand, although they may give Australia a challenge if they show up like they did against the Baa Baa&#39;s. I think Kidney&#39;s targets should be to beat the French, and that alone right now.

O'Rothlain
31-05-08, 01:45 PM
No...Ireland have never beat New Zealand. Still, there is a first time for everything, and I think that NOW is that time.

After today&#39;s GP final with Wasps surely Eoin Reddin will be the #1 Ireland Scrumhalf, right? Does anyone know?

Sir Speedy
31-05-08, 01:49 PM
No...Ireland have never beat New Zealand. Still, there is a first time for everything, and I think that NOW is that time.

After today&#39;s GP final with Wasps surely Eoin Reddin will be the #1 Ireland Scrumhalf, right? Does anyone know?
[/b]
Isn&#39;t he your no. 1 scrum-half anyway? :/ He&#39;s light-years ahead of Stringer and Boss, so I&#39;d be very surprised if he&#39;s benched for the Summer games.

nam97
31-05-08, 02:02 PM
<div class='quotemain'> i don&#39;t believe they will challenge the Ab&#39;s or Australia. Southern hemisphere rugby still has to much class. [/b]

The RWC was a giant dog turd, but we&#39;re hoping that was just one poop in a field of dreams. The ABs will be a doddle.
[/b][/quote]

England will challenge us as they come to NZ as overwhelming favourites ( :mellow: ) but we&#39;ll roll Ireland by 35+ I guarantee that.

Steve-o
31-05-08, 02:04 PM
Ireland beating NZ? I think the last WC has disillusioned a few people.

shtove
31-05-08, 08:20 PM
Ireland beating NZ? I think the last WC has disillusioned a few people. [/b]
Yeah, they threw themselves off bridges all over Auckland. The fools - NZ will probably reach the 1/4 finals again.

danny
31-05-08, 08:40 PM
<div class='quotemain'> Ireland beating NZ? I think the last WC has disillusioned a few people. [/b]
Yeah, they threw themselves off bridges all over Auckland. The fools - NZ will probably reach the 1/4 finals again.
[/b][/quote]
HELLO, this is New Zealand you are playing and you are Ireland. Remember you were not very good in the 6 nations, awfull in the world cup and beat the poorest Barbarians team in history by only 20 points. TheAll Blacks away will be impossible to win, can you please get that into your heads!!

MunsterMan
31-05-08, 09:13 PM
To be honest Munster have a better chance of beating the AB&#39;s in the Autumn than Ireland do but Ireland have never had a better chance of beating the AB&#39;s. Eddie and his conservatism is gone and All of our players seem to be hitting good form at the moment, If BOD is in the right state of mind and POC is the captain we have the best chance we have ever had of beating the All Blacks.

danny
31-05-08, 09:33 PM
To be honest Munster have a better chance of beating the AB&#39;s in the Autumn than Ireland do but Ireland have never had a better chance of beating the AB&#39;s. Eddie and his conservatism is gone and All of our players seem to be hitting good form at the moment, If BOD is in the right state of mind and POC is the captain we have the best chance we have ever had of beating the All Blacks.
[/b]
I`d love to see it and Im not trying to antagonise any Irish members but it has to be a comfortable victory for the All Blacks.In NZ even the Provincial teams are too dynamic in the loose for our NH teams at the moment. I really think you are underestimating the strength of this new NZ team.

shtove
31-05-08, 10:25 PM
<div class='quotemain'>
<div class='quotemain'> Ireland beating NZ? I think the last WC has disillusioned a few people. [/b]
[/b][/quote]
HELLO, this is New Zealand you are playing and you are Ireland. Remember you were not very good in the 6 nations, awfull in the world cup and beat the poorest Barbarians team in history by only 20 points. TheAll Blacks away will be impossible to win, can you please get that into your heads!! [/b][/quote]
What we have in our heads is the fact that we almost beat the greatest AB team EVER on their home patch two years ago (actually it was a team selected from their best squad EVER).

This time round they have to rebuild, and we&#39;re hoping we already have rebuilt.

To the brave and faithful ...

eoino
01-06-08, 12:11 AM
<div class='quotemain'>
<div class='quotemain'> i don&#39;t believe they will challenge the Ab&#39;s or Australia. Southern hemisphere rugby still has to much class. [/b]

[/b][/quote]

England will challenge us as they come to NZ as overwhelming favourites ( :mellow: ) but we&#39;ll roll Ireland by 35+ I guarantee that. [/b][/quote]

What a joke. I love listening to NZ commentry, for such a small nation, you sure do love to boast! Ireland will challange both teams, and could very easily beat either on the day. This statistic of ireland never beating NZ is a laughable gulf of air that means absolutly NOTHING when it comes to professional rugby.

It is an era of pro rugby, and believe you me, Rugby in Ireland is growing rapidly along with the development of youth players. NZ isnt that good of a team, my advice, dont reply when you stop choking :bravo:

O'Rothlain
01-06-08, 01:23 AM
HELLO, this is New Zealand you are playing and you are Ireland. Remember you were not very good in the 6 nations, awfull in the world cup and beat the poorest Barbarians team in history by only 20 points. TheAll Blacks away will be impossible to win, can you please get that into your heads!! [/b]
HELLO, we&#39;re feckin&#39; Irish...can you please get that into your head!!

eoino
01-06-08, 01:26 PM
Typical NZ fans. When do they learn?

Incredible Schalk
01-06-08, 05:13 PM

[/b][/quote]

Well i&#39;ll give you the Aussie one but the South African team was useless, almost every player played out of position and it was mainly a second string squad. They had Habana at centre, wtf :blink: It certainly wasnt the best the Boks had offer, or even close to it..

eoino
01-06-08, 08:13 PM
Thats not a good excuse. They still got beaten, in quite some style i might say. Anyway, Irish rugby only has one way to go at the moment. Right.

dangandan
02-06-08, 12:49 PM
after seein the AB squad announced i find it laughable that some members think that the ABs will win by 30 points or more :P the idea that leinster won the magners league and munster won the european championship is a fair good sign for irish rugby. graham henry did not choose many of the crusaders players so saying that a new zealand team won the super 14 final doesn&#39;t mean much in my opinion. the irish did beat a below average baa baas outfit but it was the style in which they did this. they played with enough skill to take on an adventurous approach. yes ireland havent beaten the ABs EVER but that counts for nothing as we&#39;re in the pro era where ireland have made great strides since the days of players goin to the pub right before a test match. but let me make it clear, i do not underestimate the ABs and it will be bloody tough for ireland to win this. however, to say ireland do not have a chance is quite silly. i do think that england have gotten themselves into a rough patch with quite a few injuries and after seeing the baa baas game i dont think they should bother heading down under. i dont want to see or hear about another game like the french C team that went down last year yikes!

O'Rothlain
02-06-08, 06:12 PM
the idea that leinster won the magners league and munster won the european championship is a fair good sign for irish rugby...however, to say ireland do not have a chance is quite silly.[/b]
Sorry to paraphrase you, but I think those statements are the sentiment some of us have been trying to express. It&#39;s not that I&#39;m so convinced that Ireland are going down South to slaughter the AB&#39;s as much as I think that logically now is very good timing for us to get a win.

Incredible Schalk
02-06-08, 07:59 PM
Thats not a good excuse. They still got beaten, in quite some style i might say. Anyway, Irish rugby only has one way to go at the moment. Right.
[/b]

:blink: what is a good excuse then? playing 9 of the 15 players out of position, many of who wouldnt normally start anyway.

peppers07
03-06-08, 02:39 PM
This is Ireland best chance ever to beat the All Black and they will not get slaughtered if it was a home match ide back Ireland but seeing as its away i think New Zealend will win by around 7 points. The people predicting New Zealend to win by 30 points are deluded the All Blacks team is rebuilding and the Ireland team are full of confidence and good players. In the barbarians match Ireland showed how tallented their new players are (obviously it was against a **** team but they still played fairly well).

shazbooger
03-06-08, 02:47 PM
The official match thread for the NZ match is over here http://www.therugbyforum.com/index.php?showtopic=41407

THIS THREAD IS ABOUT THE BAA BAA&#39;S!

J-Brad
03-06-08, 02:56 PM
[/b]
:bana: go pedrie!!!