PDA

View Full Version : Australia V Ireland, Saturday June 14

MunsterMan
09-06-08, 10:34 PM
Quinlan and Fitzgerald ruled out

Luke Fitzgerald is ruled out by an ankle injury
Alan Quinlan and Luke Fitzgerald have both been ruled out of the Ireland team for Saturday's Test against Australia in Melbourne.

Quinlan (thigh) and Fitzgerald (ankle) missed Saturday's defeat by the All Blacks because of injury and they will not recover in time for this weekend.

Ulster flanker Stephen Ferris has already been called into the squad as cover for Quinlan.

No replacement is being sought by the Ireland management for Fitzgerald.

Meanwhile, new Australia coach Robbie Deans believes the Wallabies will have to play a highly physical game if they are to beat Ireland.

Deans said he had been impressed by the Irish during their 21-11 defeat by the All Blacks in Wellington.

"The thing that was really impressive was Ireland's contact work, their collision work," Deans said.

"They were very physical, and we anticipate that it will be very similar this week."

Deans said Australia would gain vital knowledge about the Irish from assistant coach Jim Williams, who recently joined the Wallabies from newly crowned European Cup champions Munster, where he was forwards coach.

Seven of the eight members of the Irish pack that played against New Zealand were from Munster.

"Jim has got a really important role," Deans said.

"He's overseeing the coming together of the pack (and) I guess he's got an insight into Munster.

"There's probably a bit of banter flying already between him and his Munster boys.

"When you've got a close relationship like that it always adds a bit of spice so both parties will be wanting to prevail.

"Jim will draw on his knowledge just as they will draw on their knowledge of Jim."

Meanwhile, Ireland giant Tony Buckley claims his team are hungry to pounce on an Australia side still yet to play a game under Deans.

Buckley, who came on as a replacement for Marcus Horan in the 61st minute in Wellington, said he and his team-mates were "gutted" after throwing away a golden opportunity to beat New Zealand.

"We came within 10 points of a New Zealand team that we could have beaten," the 27-year-old said.

"We should have been much closer. I felt we were unlucky on the night.

"We will be looking at capitalising on those situations against Australia.

"Everybody will be looking to fix their mistakes... to build on what they did last weekend."

Buckley added that Ireland "really have to win" in Telstra Dome in Melbourne on Saturday.

The Irish have not beaten the Wallabies on their home soil since 1979.

"We were confident of pushing New Zealand. The ball was in our court, we could have - and should have - won it but we didn't. Hopefully against Australia now we can win it."

errlloyd
09-06-08, 11:03 PM
Shame about Fitzgerald, I am confident (even if some of you aren't) that Wallace is up to the job.

InsaneAsylum
09-06-08, 11:22 PM
i will be at the game this saturday.... I'm a little nervous after seeing ireland agianst the all blacks and it being the wallabies first game under robbie deans.

I do hope the wallabies fire and beat ireland but i think it will be a close game. one thing is guaranteed and that is a dry game... the roof will be closed no doubt

MunsterMan
10-06-08, 12:16 AM
Where is An Tarbh anyway? Making the match threads are usually his thing.

1.Horan
2.Flannery
3.Buckley
4.O'Callaghan
5.O'Connell
6.Leamy
7.Wallace
8.Heaslip
9.Stringer
10.O'Gara
11.Kearney
12.Wallace
13.O'Driscoll
14.Bowe
15.Murphy

16.Best
17.Hayes
18.O'Driscoll
19.Jennings
20.Reddan
21.Dempsey
22.Horgan

That's my team. Flannery did play badly on Saturday but in fairness to him it was his only bad performance of the season, and the line out didn't exactly improve when best came on. If we had a credible back up Loose head I'd play him but I'm sure Horan has learned his lesson and did play well the last day as well. I think Ireland need another line out option that players like Quinlan/Easterby offer but there isn't anybody. Reddan was shocking against NZ and hasn't impressed all season really. Horgan needs a kick up the whole as well.

sanzar
10-06-08, 03:01 AM
All Blacks were really pushed by Ireland in the harsh conditions last week, but then again it was their first game together and they didn't exactly have their best side on the field either, so I'm still not sure if we should be worried or not. This weeks game will be played in dry conditions and with a very much new look Australia under the guidance of Robbie Deans. Robbie is apparently only concerned with the 'performance' and says that winning is secondary at this stage, so it will be interesting to see what kind of game plan they pull out.

Fushitsusha
10-06-08, 04:37 AM
The Australian team will be named tomorrow, but if the media reports are correct it'll look something like this -

1. Robinson
2. Moore
3. Dunning
4. Horwill
5. Sharpe
6. Elsom
7. Smith
8. Palu

9. Burgess/Cordingley
10. Giteau
11. Tuqiri
12. Barnes
13. Mortlock
14. Ashley-Cooper
15. Shepherd

I don't want to speculate on the reserves, and I hope Deans pulls some surprises there. There was speculation last week that Phil Waugh might not be on the bench as Deans might prefer not to have two openside flankers in the squad. I honestly don't think that will happen though. Would also love to see Ben Alexander on the bench instead of Baxter.

The only thing I dislike about the team right now is that there really isn't that much change from the pack that has been regularly pushed around in recent years. However, I don't think the Wallabies forwards shouldn't be troubled too much. Australia has the upper hand in the scrum, and if George Smith is on his game he'll frustrate the Irish. I was surprised to see Ireland's lineout crumble last week considering it's been one of the strongest aspects of their game. If they can get it together they can give Australia some trouble with Vickerman out. As for the backlines, the Wallabies should have the upper hand.

It might be a close match but I'll be shocked if the Wallabies lose.

InsaneAsylum
10-06-08, 05:14 AM
i'm just happy to see a live game of rugby in melbourne!

Fushitsusha
10-06-08, 06:02 AM
Well, Peter Stringer and Rory Best have been added to the starting lineup for Ireland.

I 100% agree with Stringer's promotion, but Rory Best? Surely that can only benefit Australia in the lineout?

sanzar
10-06-08, 08:49 AM
i'm just happy to see a live game of rugby in melbourne! [/b]
Reckon they'll fill the place up down there? I went to last years Bledisloe down there and was massively dissapointed that Australia's supposed "best sporting public" couldn't even pack out a Bledisloe match (there was about 70k of the 100k seats available and the kiwis outnumbered us!!!), especially after all the **** they give people in Sydney.

BLR
10-06-08, 08:55 AM
Reckon they'll fill the place up down there? I went to last years Bledisloe down there and was massively dissapointed that Australia's supposed "best sporting public" couldn't even pack out a Bledisloe match (there was about 70k of the 100k seats available and the kiwis outnumbered us!!!), especially after all the **** they give people in Sydney.[/b]
I came over for that from Perth, never actually met a Melbourne rugby fan when I was there though, I suppose the ones with the horrible new style Wallaby jersey gave them away?

"Best sporting public" if you're talking about AFL....

Maccaweeny
10-06-08, 08:55 AM
Ahahaha i remember that game, with the kiwi crowd in Australia. Made great television though, all those glum faces wearing black jerseys.

BLR
10-06-08, 09:06 AM
Ahahaha i remember that game, with the kiwi crowd in Australia. Made great television though, all those glum faces wearing black jerseys.[/b]
Alot of the relatives came over from Otago so I was a lone yellow jersey in a black crowd, funny seeing the day of the game all the kiwi supporters in pubs and chucking balls around the streets etc. and then the next day not a hint of black in sight. :P

sanzar
10-06-08, 10:04 AM
<div class='quotemain'>
Reckon they&#39;ll fill the place up down there? I went to last years Bledisloe down there and was massively dissapointed that Australia&#39;s supposed "best sporting public" couldn&#39;t even pack out a Bledisloe match (there was about 70k of the 100k seats available and the kiwis outnumbered us!!!), especially after all the **** they give people in Sydney.[/b]
I came over for that from Perth, never actually met a Melbourne rugby fan when I was there though, I suppose the ones with the horrible new style Wallaby jersey gave them away?

"Best sporting public" if you&#39;re talking about AFL.... [/b][/quote]
Yeah, that&#39;s the thing though. They claim that ANY sporting event will sell out in Melbourne, and that&#39;s why they&#39;re "the world&#39;s sporting capital" :rolleyes: .

BLR
10-06-08, 10:40 AM
Yeah, that&#39;s the thing though. They claim that ANY sporting event will sell out in Melbourne, and that&#39;s why they&#39;re "the world&#39;s sporting capital" :rolleyes: .[/b]
I went to an AFL game at the MCG, Essendon v Carlton which had a bigger crowd then the Bledisloe I think....but I would understand the AFL fans not being about to get much out of other sports, with the amount of scoring of no particular value overall they would be shaped to be like goldfish.....soccer is the exception because of the large ethnic population, but I digress, the fact is the label is largely unfounded...we have a smaller population and at the time not many rugby fans but we managed to sell out South Africa v Australia about four years ago, and will do the same again this year I suspect...

InsaneAsylum
10-06-08, 10:53 AM
yeah, it&#39;s always been all about AFL. however with the storm in good form, a lot of people have been jumping on board, and also the melbourne victory in the soccer. the melbourne victory have been pulling around 60k for their crowds which is crazy, however melbourne is populated with a lot of europeans.

the bledisloe cup crowd was ****ful last year.... the match back in 1997 pulled an 100k crowd. back at the 2003 world cup, i went to a few games at telstra dome and the crowds were good, but there were a lot of visitors in the crowd.

i have a feeling, the crowd will be around 30-35k and i hope to see more gold than green.

errlloyd
10-06-08, 12:00 PM
On Topic : I have to say I am a big fan of Reddan, while our backline is performing well I think it&#39;s ok to play Stringer, but if they are weak attacking then we need more penetration, stringer is useless.

Hamster
10-06-08, 12:04 PM
A good crowd better turn up! How much are tickets Insane?

Melbourne boasts impressive AFL crowds, plus an average of 26,000 for victory games, might of been more than 30,000 two seasons ago when they won it, but Storms been disapointing to say the least considering the amount of sucess the Storm have had.. When&#39;s the new rectangle stadium coming in Insane and what will its capacity be?

InsaneAsylum
10-06-08, 12:18 PM
A good crowd better turn up! How much are tickets Insane?

Melbourne boasts impressive AFL crowds, plus an average of 26,000 for victory games, might of been more than 30,000 two seasons ago when they won it, but Storms been disapointing to say the least considering the amount of sucess the Storm have had.. When&#39;s the new rectangle stadium coming in Insane and what will its capacity be? [/b]

i&#39;m in the cheapseats at $39, but they range up to around $80.

not sure when the new stadium will be built. it will be next door to olympic park, and to be honest i think the storm crowd suffer because olympic park is really sub standard compared to the other stadiums we have down here.

Incredible Schalk
10-06-08, 12:25 PM
Good luck Ireland, i think they have a great chance as last year a depleted Wales also nearly won in Australia. Will be tough but they have a better chance this week than last as they will be able to match the Aussie pack.

BLR
10-06-08, 12:47 PM
Good luck Ireland, i think they have a great chance as last year a depleted Wales also nearly won in Australia. Will be tough but they have a better chance this week than last as they will be able to match the Aussie pack.
[/b]
Aussie Robbie, end of story.

Prestwick
10-06-08, 04:17 PM
Why is Stringer there? I mean seriously Ireland let go already! Stringer was past his best back in 2004/5. You need to move on, seriously, you can&#39;t keep hanging around with Stringer and Best forever.

I mean, I gaurantee you, theres some secret Irish Government project to replace Stringer&#39;s existing body with that of a cyborg configured to be as small, weak and bald as the real deal, just so the IRFU can keep selecting Stringer until 2150...

Steve-o
10-06-08, 04:52 PM
Definitely gonna watch this one, and TRY be a neutral and not support a side lol. I always end up supporting one or the other though.

Ireland are my favourite European side and their tight 5 is looking really good, but I always enjoy watching the Aussies play, and with Deans there now I very interested to see what the end product will be. He has always had a strong scrummimg unit with the Crusaders, something the Aussies don&#39;t have. Aussies backline is better overall, Tuqiri and Giteau were playing some excellent rugby in the S14.
Ireland need to prepare for the S14 loose forwards, no doubt they are very strong at the breakdown.
Not sure how Oz is match up to Irelands set pieces. Ireland should dominate the scrums and line outs.

Two very different teams, should be a cracker but I reckon the Wallabies should nick it.

Incredible Schalk
10-06-08, 06:17 PM
<div class='quotemain'>
[/b]
Aussie Robbie, end of story.
[/b][/quote]

The players more importantly wont be vastly different.

Sir Speedy
10-06-08, 06:22 PM
Why is Stringer there? I mean seriously Ireland let go already! Stringer was past his best back in 2004/5. You need to move on, seriously, you can&#39;t keep hanging around with Stringer and Best forever.

I mean, I gaurantee you, theres some secret Irish Government project to replace Stringer&#39;s existing body with that of a cyborg configured to be as small, weak and bald as the real deal, just so the IRFU can keep selecting Stringer until 2150...
[/b]
Doesn&#39;t matter. Both Stringer and Reddan are kack at the moment so you lose either way. At least with Stringer they have the dim hope of blinding the Aussies a la the floodlights + Stringer&#39;s noggin.

bacon
10-06-08, 06:34 PM
i&#39;m supprised horan kept his place, for me that stupid penalty-totally unnessary-was a real turning point last week. i doubt ireland would&#39;ve won but it just put it the final nail in.
reddan gave terrible and slow service so paid for it with his place-fair enough. pity the only other options a bald agro who cain&#39;t make his place at provintial level :wall: but a least its not boss.

Prestwick
10-06-08, 08:07 PM
<div class='quotemain'>

[/b]
Doesn&#39;t matter. Both Stringer and Reddan are kack at the moment so you lose either way. At least with Stringer they have the dim hope of blinding the Aussies a la the floodlights + Stringer&#39;s noggin. [/b][/quote]

It makes me weep bitter tears of frustration whenever I see Stringer&#39;s name anywhere near the Ireland teamsheet. Honestly, I&#39;m going to put a tenner on Stringer going to the world cup in 2011, thats how conservative Ireland&#39;s selection policy appears to be from the view of a neutral.

errlloyd
10-06-08, 08:34 PM
I am a big fan of Reddan, he was playing against the All blacks, hard to judge him. In fairness he is awesome for wasps.

MunsterMan
10-06-08, 08:39 PM
I wouldn&#39;t agree with that. If Kidney doesn&#39;t pick Strings for Munster, why would he pick him for Ireland? This is probably Stringers last test in the 9 shirt Prestwick. Don&#39;t worry, the O&#39;Leary/Reddan days are nearly here ;)

Fushitsusha
11-06-08, 01:14 AM
Australian team named to play Ireland...

Cameron Shepherd (Western Force); Peter Hynes (Queensland), Stirling Mortlock (Brumbies, captain), Berrick Barnes (Queensland), Lote Tuqiri (New South Wales); Matt Giteau (Western Force), Luke Burgess (New South Wales); Wycliff Palu (New South Wales), George Smith (Brumbies), Rocky Elsom (New South Wales); Nathan Sharpe (Western Force), James Horwill (Queensland); Matt Dunning (New South Wales), Stephen Moore (Queensland), Benn Robinson (New South Wales

Replacements: Adam Freier (New South Wales), Al Baxter (New South Wales), Dean Mumm (New South Wales), Phil Waugh (New South Wales), Sam Cordingley (Queensland), Ryan Cross (Western Force), Adam Ashley-Cooper (Brumbies)

I can&#39;t believe it&#39;s 2008 and Al Baxter is still in the squad?!

Steve-o
11-06-08, 09:31 AM
That backrow of Smith, Palu and Elsom is gonna be hard to counter. All are big men, Palu probably the strongest. He ran over a few Saffas and Kiwis this year, most notably 4 Sharks players to a try back in April.

Hamster
11-06-08, 09:48 AM
Australian team named to play Ireland...

Cameron Shepherd (Western Force); Peter Hynes (Queensland), Stirling Mortlock (Brumbies, captain), Berrick Barnes (Queensland), Lote Tuqiri (New South Wales); Matt Giteau (Western Force), Luke Burgess (New South Wales); Wycliff Palu (New South Wales), George Smith (Brumbies), Rocky Elsom (New South Wales); Nathan Sharpe (Western Force), James Horwill (Queensland); Matt Dunning (New South Wales), Stephen Moore (Queensland), Benn Robinson (New South Wales

Replacements: Adam Freier (New South Wales), Al Baxter (New South Wales), Dean Mumm (New South Wales), Phil Waugh (New South Wales), Sam Cordingley (Queensland), Ryan Cross (Western Force), Adam Ashley-Cooper (Brumbies)

I can&#39;t believe it&#39;s 2008 and Al Baxter is still in the squad?! [/b]

Its a good team but f***, why is Dunning starting and Baxter reserving? How hard is it to clear these guys out of the Wallabies!!

Pretty excited that Hynes will be making his debut and Barnes and Horwill are starting. Barnes is a gun especially in defense this year, busted his arse for the Reds in defense. First test of the year, some new faces and some quality Queenslanders in there. Cant wait.

Maccaweeny
11-06-08, 11:35 AM
Palu has been immense, yet sometimes he seems to disappear against a solid defence which targets his running off the scrum and around the fringes of the break down.

Then again, that was exactly what the crusader&#39;s did in the final. Some really awesome defence aimed at the guy, yet about twenty minutes in he just kept at it and started breaking tackles.

Can&#39;t wait for this game, pity it&#39;s in the middle of my exams...

rsea
11-06-08, 02:11 PM
Yeah for sure Barnes has been great in defence. Not just covering his own men but plenty of others as well

Fushitsusha
11-06-08, 02:16 PM
I kinda wish Deans had taken the big risk and put Alexander on the bench.

What is there to lose?

You either go for the kid with potential, or the &#39;experienced&#39;, but useless **** that can&#39;t scrummage anyways...

peppers07
11-06-08, 03:53 PM
Horan should be droped after giving away that penelty against the All Black. Australia is the perfect team to start Buckley against (with their crap scrum) . Stringer will finally be gone once Declan Kidney takes the Job not long to wait now. I think Oleary should be called up hes way better than Stringer. I think Horgan shoud be droped for Dowling he was **** against New Zealand and Dowliing would be better until Trimble comes back then they can put Fitzgerald on the wing

MunsterMan
11-06-08, 05:28 PM
What&#39;s wrong with Buckley&#39;s scrummaging? I have only ever seen him do badly in the scrum when he is played out of position. Replace Horan? With who? Cian Healy? Brian Young? :lol:

Incredible Schalk
11-06-08, 09:18 PM
<div class='quotemain'>

[/b]
Doesn&#39;t matter. Both Stringer and Reddan are kack at the moment so you lose either way. At least with Stringer they have the dim hope of blinding the Aussies a la the floodlights + Stringer&#39;s noggin.
[/b][/quote]

So thats doesnt mean they can play well this weekend? Reddan has had a great season and although he didnt play that well against the AB&#39;s last week i would back him to play well this week.

errlloyd
11-06-08, 11:47 PM
<div class='quotemain'>
<div class='quotemain'>

[/b]
[/b][/quote]

So thats doesnt mean they can play well this weekend? Reddan has had a great season and although he didnt play that well against the AB&#39;s last week i would back him to play well this week.
[/b][/quote]

No harm in make Reddan Feel threatened for his place, a little pressure never hurt everyone (except Ronan O Gara between the years of 337 bc - 2005 ad) some would argue its that guaranteed start that is ruining some Irish players.

Sir Speedy
12-06-08, 09:06 AM
<div class='quotemain'>
<div class='quotemain'>

[/b]
[/b][/quote]

[/b][/quote]
Quote me where I said that. :huh: Although Reddan is a great player on form, he&#39;s been non-existant in Ireland&#39;s last 3 games.

errlloyd
12-06-08, 10:12 AM
Quote me where I said that. :huh: Although Reddan is a great player on form, he&#39;s been non-existant in Ireland&#39;s last 3 games.
[/b]

2nd post on this page.....

Reddan was shocking keeping in mind your playing him against England, Wales and the all Blacks. Stringer was shocking against Namibia, Georgia, Italy and Scotland.

eoino
12-06-08, 07:09 PM
Stringers being played as a token last game. Enough said on the chap, he deserves one last game before Kidney gets in!

Australia will be a good battle for ireland, Ireland didnt play great against New Zealand (probably the weather) and should be well fired up for the Ozzies.

Should be a good game. What Irish channels are showing this game, and what time?

shtove
12-06-08, 09:13 PM
Reddan isn&#39;t a tough guy, not a lot of strength - that was obvious last week and against France in the 6N (remember he made a break but couldn&#39;t get a try scoring pass away off his right hand?).

Stringer could still be in there for the RWC because of his strength and the speed of his passing, although he does scuff out plenty of daisy cutters. He flaps a lot at the ruck and doesn&#39;t have much of a break, but I&#39;m thinking we&#39;ll have to look to O&#39;Leary long term for his replacement. Anyone notice the look on String&#39;s face at the final whistle in the HEC? Looked like a condemned man.

I have no idea of the form of the Aus players, so I&#39;ll say Ireland by 20 points. G&#39;day.

errlloyd
12-06-08, 11:33 PM
Reddan is amazing, end of.

Maccaweeny
13-06-08, 05:38 AM
When was the last time Ireland won in Australia?

InsaneAsylum
13-06-08, 06:08 AM
When was the last time Ireland won in Australia? [/b]

1979... it&#39;s a question in the wallabies matchday program on page 60

http://activemagazine.smedia.com.au/ActiveMagazine/ARU/

29 years ago!

BLR
13-06-08, 06:30 AM
Judging from last time I was in Melbourne (people were shocked when they heard an English accent) there won&#39;t be a sea of Green like with the AB&#39;s last year...so the home ground advantage should get us over unless something terrible happens.

sanzar
13-06-08, 07:30 AM
And it&#39;s also being played at Telstra Dome instead of the MCG, so they&#39;ll surely pack it out...
Seriously though, they need to build a world class rectangular stadium down there now that they have a popular RL team, a soccer team and are vying for a S14 team. You can&#39;t keep putting rugby on at these AFL stadiums. You&#39;re just too far from the action!

As for the match. It will be close up front, but apart from O&#39;Driscoll (who hasn&#39;t really impressed in the last couple seasons) there just isn&#39;t enough class in the backs for Ireland. Aus by 14-20

InsaneAsylum
13-06-08, 07:49 AM
And it&#39;s also being played at Telstra Dome instead of the MCG, so they&#39;ll surely pack it out...
Seriously though, they need to build a world class rectangular stadium down there now that they have a popular RL team, a soccer team and are vying for a S14 team. You can&#39;t keep putting rugby on at these AFL stadiums. You&#39;re just too far from the action!

As for the match. It will be close up front, but apart from O&#39;Driscoll (who hasn&#39;t really impressed in the last couple seasons) there just isn&#39;t enough class in the backs for Ireland. Aus by 14-20 [/b]

yeah a rectangular pitch inside an oval makes it difficult to get close to the action... the new rectangular stadium is being build next door to olympic park where the storm currently play. it will be used for rugby and soccer.

telstra dome is fantastic though, because it&#39;s close to the city and public transport. if your at the mcg/olympic park/tennis centre you have to get a tram back to the city first, then train home.

you&#39;d be stupid to drive the car

sanzar
13-06-08, 08:01 AM
How many seats will the new rectangular stadium have?

We actually could use one in Syndey really... maybe they should look at upgrading/rebuilding the SFS so it can hold double the capacity? Would be awesome to have something like Millennium stadium.

BLR
13-06-08, 08:29 AM
How many seats will the new rectangular stadium have?

We actually could use one in Syndey really... maybe they should look at upgrading/rebuilding the SFS so it can hold double the capacity? Would be awesome to have something like Millennium stadium.[/b]
They only come close to filling it is the SOO, Wallabies or maybe Socceroos are playing, it&#39;s better having a full small stadium then a huge cavenous half full stadium...

sanzar
13-06-08, 09:19 AM
You&#39;ve got it mixed up... They never hold Wallabies or SOO games at the SFS, they hold them at the 80k capacity Homebush stadium (currently ANZ stadium). The SFS (Sydney Football Stadium - can&#39;t remember which sponsor is attached to it right now) is the one near the city that holds around 40k and is a much better ground to watch the footy at than the Homebush colossus that sits in the middle of nowhere. Personally, I think they should tear down the homebush stadium... it&#39;s a pain in the arse to get to, it has no atmosphere and way too expensive. The SFS has always been a much better place to watch the footy, even though it has half the capacity. Going to the Waratahs v Reds game last year when it was packed the atmosphere was just electric! People prefer going there, it&#39;s as simple as that!

Fushitsusha
14-06-08, 07:37 AM
Well, David Wallace being ruled out of the match with injury.

That&#39;s a HUGE blow for Ireland.

SimonTaylor
14-06-08, 11:19 AM
Tuqiri just monstered Stringer!!

Maccaweeny
14-06-08, 12:52 PM
Scrappy performance from the wallabies, they need to improve up-front and stop conceding the ball.

Who was the dick-head gay patting Burgess on the head? Seriously a niggle is always good to put someone off their game, yet stroking someone&#39;s hair? Whoever he is I hope he&#39;s enjoying his fourth loss in a row and 30 years of not winning in Australia :D

Sir Speedy
14-06-08, 12:56 PM
Scrappy performance from the wallabies, they need to improve up-front and stop conceding the ball.

Who was the dick-head gay patting Burgess on the head? Seriously a niggle is always good to put someone off their game, yet stroking someone&#39;s hair? Whoever he is I hope he&#39;s enjoying his fourth loss in a row and 30 years of not winning in Australia :D
[/b]
That&#39;d be Denis Leamy. :bana:

Maccaweeny
14-06-08, 12:58 PM
Save the arrogant faggotry for when you&#39;re winning.

rsea
14-06-08, 01:00 PM
Flashes of brilliance in the 1st half from Wallabies followed by a flat performance in the 2nd half. Enjoyed watching them come together to hold out Ireland at the end. Great test match rugby even if it was played on an ice rink!

Edit: I want to see some replays of the monster hit by tuqiri in the last minute!

Sir Speedy
14-06-08, 01:00 PM
Save the arrogant faggotry for when you&#39;re winning.
[/b]
Agreed. I think he was hoping that Burges would punch him and concede a penalty + yellow card. Lol @ him.

DC
14-06-08, 01:05 PM
hahah burgess getting his head pat that was classic

Fushitsusha
14-06-08, 01:05 PM
Australia were absolutely woeful in that second half...

The forward pack as a whole were average at best... I don&#39;t know why the Wallaby forwards have this tactic that only one person needs to secure the breakdown and the rest of them can go hang out in the backline? I wanted to slap Nathan Sharpe after one of his pathetic attempts at the ruck...

They kicked the ball waaaaay too much...

I felt the referee was constantly favouring the attacking team at the breakdown... it seemed that George smith was unfairly penalised a couple of times at the breakdown, and Ireland probably deserved a penalty try when Shepherd was isolated in front of the line... but generally the team with the ball was given lenience...

Cordingley and Ashley-Cooper should&#39;ve been brought on to make an impact earlier in the second half...

The only Australian players I&#39;d give credit to after that would be Berrick Barnes and Peter Hynes... otherwise, poor effort... A LOT of improvement required if we&#39;re going to have any success in the Tri-Nations...

Oh, and the scrum is still crap... Baxter shouldn&#39;t be playing professional rugby etc. etc.

BLR
14-06-08, 01:08 PM
Who was the dick-head gay patting Burgess on the head? Seriously a niggle is always good to put someone off their game, yet stroking someone&#39;s hair? Whoever he is I hope he&#39;s enjoying his fourth loss in a row and 30 years of not winning in Australia :D[/b]
Harden up, that was hillarious, rugby is for fun remember.

Hynes was brilliant, Tuqiri is too slow and doesn&#39;t know the meaning of &#39;position&#39;, often playing in the centres. Shepherd was dissappointing, I don&#39;t know if he didn&#39;t get into it or just didn&#39;t get passed the ball but he didn&#39;t stuff up but wasn&#39;t fantastic, not the performance to show selectors he should be the permanent 15.

Sharpey is past it, looked like he was dead on the pitch from the first 5 minutes and finally the scrum is rubbish, needs a real overhaul....

Pity Cross wasn&#39;t given a run, ah well, it was never in doubt.

and Ireland probably deserved a penalty try when Shepherd was isolated in front of the line... but generally the team with the ball was given lenience...

Oh, and the scrum is still crap... Baxter shouldn&#39;t be playing professional rugby etc. etc.
[/b]
1. The Irish player went to pick up the ball but he didn&#39;t get a good grip and it slipped out of his hands, he stuffed it up himself.

2. The scrum was crap before Baxter came on....

Maccaweeny
14-06-08, 01:10 PM
Pfft harden up because I think stroking someone&#39;s hair is gay? Seriously if Tuqiri doesn&#39;t know the meaning of &#39;position&#39; you don&#39;t know the meaning of &#39;irony&#39;

BLR
14-06-08, 01:14 PM
Pfft harden up because I think stroking someone&#39;s hair is gay? Seriously if Tuqiri doesn&#39;t know the meaning of &#39;position&#39; you don&#39;t know the meaning of &#39;irony&#39;
[/b]
He was patting the bloke on the head to be annoying and to put him off, if that is classified as stroking then I am a monkeys uncle.

Fushitsusha
14-06-08, 01:14 PM
1. The Irish player went to pick up the ball but he didn&#39;t get a good grip and it slipped out of his hands, he stuffed it up himself.

2. The scrum was crap before Baxter came on....
[/b]

1. Because Shepherd was holding on... anyways, it should&#39;ve been an Irish penalty at the least...

2. It was crap before, but Baxter shouldn&#39;t even be on the bench... in the squad... in Australia A etc. etc. rant rant rant...

BLR
14-06-08, 01:18 PM
1. Because Shepherd was holding on... anyways, it should&#39;ve been an Irish penalty at the least...
[/b]
Perhaps, but the Irish player had his hands on the ball, both hands, and as he was about to dive over to the line it slipped out of his hands, he bottled it...

Fushitsusha
14-06-08, 01:19 PM
<div class='quotemain'>
[/b]
Perhaps, but the Irish player had his hands on the ball, both hands, and as he was about to dive over to the line it slipped out of his hands, he bottled it...
[/b][/quote]

If Shepherd had&#39;ve released it would&#39;ve been a certain try... therefore = penalty...

Anyways, back to the Wallabies... I&#39;d keep the same XV for the next test, but we&#39;re seeing a repeat of recent years where certain players just don&#39;t stand up at an international level...

Maccaweeny
14-06-08, 01:22 PM
<div class='quotemain'>
[/b]
He was patting the bloke on the head to be annoying and to put him off, if that is classified as stroking then I am a monkeys uncle. [/b][/quote]

Oh so stroking someone on the head (i.e applying light amount of force) is gay while patting (like you do your Chihuahua) is manly and an accepted tactic in rugby? I know it was to put Burgess off, next time I want the blatantly obvious i&#39;ll ask you.

I guess i&#39;ve learnt something today, next match of rugby i play i&#39;ll start &#39;patting&#39; people on the head because it&#39;s serious business and totally not gay. If anyone doesn&#39;t like me patting them on the head, then they just need to harden the f- up, rugby obviously wasn&#39;t for them.

BLR
14-06-08, 01:25 PM
If Shepherd had&#39;ve released it would&#39;ve been a certain try... therefore = penalty...[/b]
So you expect Shepherd to get his hands, put it in the air and say, go for it, Shepherd did what any player would do who wanted to give more time for his defence. He kept the ball close to him with a hand on it yet didn&#39;t hold onto it, if he did so when the Irish player went to pick it up he would have had to struggle with Shepherd on the ground and a penalty try would have been awarded, there was no struggle from Shepherd on the ground when the Irish player went to play the ball, the Irish players simply stuffed it up....that&#39;s why the penalty was not awarded.

I guess i&#39;ve learnt something today, next match of rugby i play i&#39;ll start &#39;patting&#39; people on the head because it&#39;s serious business and totally not gay. If anyone doesn&#39;t like me patting them on the head, then they just need to harden the f- up, rugby obviously wasn&#39;t for them.[/b]
As long as you are doing it to put someone off and not to feel thier smooth male hair against your hand, that&#39;s where it gets a bit gay....getting patted on the head is one of the most degrading and annoying things you can do to a person and a great way to rile someone up so they can make mistakes....

rsea
14-06-08, 01:28 PM
Shep did release. Irish player did collect it then got stripped by Tuqiri end of story.

Bit hard to take positives from the scrum

Thought Hynes was solid as was Barnes.
Giteaus flick to Horwill was magic

Fushitsusha
14-06-08, 01:29 PM
<div class='quotemain'>
If Shepherd had&#39;ve released it would&#39;ve been a certain try... therefore = penalty...[/b]
So you expect Shepherd to get his hands, put it in the air and say, go for it, Shepherd did what any player would do who wanted to give more time for his defence. He kept the ball close to him with a hand on it yet didn&#39;t hold onto it, if he did so when the Irish player went to pick it up he would have had to struggle with Shepherd on the ground and a penalty try would have been awarded, there was no struggle from Shepherd on the ground when the Irish player went to play the ball, the Irish players simply stuffed it up....that&#39;s why the penalty was not awarded.
[/b][/quote]

Ummm.... what? You&#39;ve basically helped prove my point...

Once Shepherd was tackled on the ground he must release the ball immediately... it&#39;s as simple as that...

I agree with everything he did from a Wallaby standpoint... but it still should&#39;ve been a penatly (or possible yellow card), but the referee was playing favourites with the attacking team all game...

It wasn&#39;t as if the Irish fumbled the ball in their immediate attempt to snatch it... they TRIED to take the ball and fumbled it in the process due to the tackled player infringing...

rsea
14-06-08, 01:34 PM
It wasn&#39;t as if the Irish fumbled the ball in their immediate attempt to snatch it... they TRIED to take the ball and fumbled it in the process due to the tackled player infringing...
[/b]

It was a clean strip by Tuqiri man. Theirs no way your ever going to get a perfectly clean ball in that situation but from what I saw Shep didn&#39;t impede to badly, he placed it in a manner that made collect more difficult which is completely legal. Tuqiri did a great job

ozzy
14-06-08, 01:35 PM
So what do the Aussies here think of Dingo Deans after that performance? I know it has only been one game, but that was enough for the Kiwis to crucify Henry. Don&#39;t hold back now. :)

Fushitsusha
14-06-08, 01:37 PM
<div class='quotemain'>
[/b]

It was a clean strip by Tuqiri man. Theirs no way your ever going to get a perfectly clean ball in that situation but from what I saw Shep didn&#39;t impede to badly. Tuqiri did a great job
[/b][/quote]

Que?

Tuqiri got his hands on the ball well after TWO Irish players attempted to pinch the ball off the tackled player... Tuqir getting his hands on the ball is completely irrelevant...

Australia was EXTREMELY lucky... maybe we&#39;ll start hearing less about Robbie Deans and Luke Burgess being the second comings of Jesus and Mohammad? Probably not...

So what do the Aussies here think of Dingo Deans after that performance? I know it has only been one game, but that was enough for the Kiwis to crucify Henry. Don&#39;t hold back now. :)
[/b]

Nah... NZ are still the best in the world... no doubt...

The Australian forwards still don&#39;t know how to work as a pack and if they&#39;d have played England again they would&#39;ve been rolled...

Maccaweeny
14-06-08, 01:43 PM
Deans has had two weeks with the team, a team that he did not have total control over selecting.

Graham Henry has been around for years, we don&#39;t know what to expect from Deans. I&#39;ll be reserving my judgements for a few months time.

Edit: anyone else think Mortlock was ordinary? Cross should have had a run

rsea
14-06-08, 01:49 PM
Yeh he was absent and after 3 weeks off I&#39;m not surprised but if I were Deans I would&#39;ve been looking for a risk free environment to pull of my Captain and that didn&#39;t happen. I thought Mumm might&#39;ve had more of an impact replacing Elsom. I was impressed with how he played blindside while Elsom was out for the Tahs

shazbooger
14-06-08, 02:00 PM
Australia scored two fantastic tries from two opportunites created for Australia. Outside of that though they didnt really offer anything going forward. Defensively they were immense but you gotta think they will struggle if they dont improve dramatically.

Ireland lacked anything resembling creativity. Trying too much on 2nd and 3rd phase ball and seemed to panic with the ball in broken play.

The referee&#39;s interpretation of the scrum was comical. Austrailia were let off the hook twice on their own line with two mystifying decisions. Constantly looking to Chris white on the touchline for advice even though he was standing right in front of the problem.

MunsterMan
14-06-08, 02:04 PM
Agreed. The penalty he gave against Hayes was laughable. He had a bad all round game IMO. Absolutely shocking, and I thought Chris White was bad last week. :rolleyes:

It&#39;s a shame BOD&#39;s pass didn&#39;t reach Wallace (who was excellent) and Stringer shouldn&#39;t have taken that quick tap :wall:

Wallabys deserving winners though.

shazbooger
14-06-08, 03:56 PM
Save the arrogant faggotry for when you&#39;re winning. [/b]

Who was the dick-head gay patting Burgess on the head? [/b]
http://toppun.com/Rainbow-Store/Gay-Pride-Pictures/Got-Homophobia-Got-Milk-parody.gif
http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/ni/homophobia.jpg

Maccaweeny
14-06-08, 05:18 PM
<div class='quotemain'> Save the arrogant faggotry for when you&#39;re winning. [/b]

http://toppun.com/Rainbow-Store/Gay-Pride-Pictures/Got-Homophobia-Got-Milk-parody.gif
http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/ni/homophobia.jpg
[/b][/quote]

Are we really still harping on about this?

So let me get this straight, I describe (on the internet) a player&#39;s actions insofar as lightly touching another player&#39;s hair during a rugby match as &#39;gay&#39;, and therefore, by implication, I&#39;m a homophobe; no doubt possessing a deep-seated insecurity towards my own sexual orientation?

See, the problem is, this doesn&#39;t really add up. Both the terms that you have taken offence to (faggotry, gay pat/tap) have been used on this forum before, sometimes repetitively. It strikes me as somewhat odd, that it is in this circumstance that you have decided to express your feelings of indignation. See, I think there is a significant possibility that it&#39;s not my use of the words &#39;gay&#39; or &#39;******[ry]&#39; that&#39;s got your knickers in a knot, but the fact that I denigrated an Irish player with such words, and then continued to criticise Ireland&#39;s record. Just maybe.

Then again, this could all be mere speculation. Who knows, maybe you feel yourself obliged to improve the maturity of expression used over the inter-webz, perhaps you have always been a dedicated gay-rights advocate, to the extent that internet-memes fill you with righteous fury. I guess I&#39;ll never know.

I cant think of a username
14-06-08, 10:30 PM
Dissappointing from Ireland again today, like last week if we&#39;d have won, it wouldn&#39;t have been deserved. The pack were alright, Leamy was excellent, O&#39;Connell could have been better and Heaslip was good.. for a Leinster player..

In the backs Stringer was poor, O&#39;Gara tried to get things going, Paddy proved once again why he shouldn&#39;t be playing professional rugby, O&#39;Driscoll is a shadow of what he was, Bowe was ok and Kearney got run over for a try and just patted Horwill on the back for the second, but of course because he&#39;s a leinster muppet he&#39;ll get an 8 or 9 in the paper tomorrow. Oh and Horgan could have been alot better.

Matt Giteau, is arguably the best back in the world. An Aussie resurgence is on the cards I think

InsaneAsylum
15-06-08, 07:14 AM
f***...big night. slightly hung over

didn&#39;t see the breakdown because of the back of the stupid electronic signs, but watched the replay this morning. can&#39;t say much about the game, it was alright. i&#39;m a bit horse from yelling "c&#39;mon peter" every time peter hynes got the ball. i figured he needed a bit of moral support. i had front row seats and i stuck around after the game and hounded adam freier until he gave me a qantas wallabies stress ball, and then out of the blue george smith approached me! i couldn&#39;t believe it! had a quick chat and got a few photos.

i&#39;ve never been this close to the players before so i was pretty excited to say the least. definetly got my money&#39;s worth.

and the crowd ended up being 41,000 which is pretty awesome for rugby in melbourne. good to see heaps or irish fans out too.. lots on munster shirts in the crowd.

http://img501.imageshack.us/img501/9916/p6140008lf5.jpg
http://img90.imageshack.us/img90/1627/p6140024wv5.jpg

BLR
15-06-08, 08:19 AM
You should have got elevation Insane, even if you were on an angle, although, as I know well, ovals are bitches to watch the game at.....glad you had fun and managed to get into some pubs, of which was almost impossible last year. :P

nelson
15-06-08, 09:25 AM
i thought this was a good game to watch ... as im not much of a union fan i though it was good ... good win by the aussies though

Dmx#1
15-06-08, 01:23 PM
Interesting game in the begining I could see the Crusaders when the aussies had the ball in hand. However they didnt defend like the crusaders but Robbie has 4 years to fix this and Australia could be a International version of the crusaders. Now it&#39;s time to bash the aussie props Robinson was god awful and was worse than Dunning in the scrums. I could count with two hands how many times he collapsed the scrum. I dont know if Dunning has improved or whether Robinson collapsed the scrum before Dunning had a chance to. Baxter was bad in the scrums and in general play. Robbie needs to sort out that scrum fast. Oh yeah good game.

shtove
15-06-08, 09:23 PM
<div class='quotemain'> Save the arrogant faggotry for when you&#39;re winning. [/b]

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/ni/homophobia.jpg [/b][/quote]
Seriously, that erase the hate slogan is just creepy indoctrination.

It presents itself as something that should be taught to kids - ugggh! - plus it pretends dictionary authority for what is a vague term invented to deride people who have a distaste for homosexual practices.

Yes, it&#39;s all a bit "gay" - whatever that means.

monkeypigeon
15-06-08, 11:41 PM
Bowe was ok and Kearney got run over for a try and just patted Horwill on the back for the second, but of course because he&#39;s a leinster muppet he&#39;ll get an 8 or 9 in the paper tomorrow.
[/b]

Bit hard on Kearney I say. He tackled excellently, Countered well. Catching perfectly....kicked nicely. Did everything really cept being...run over. Gotta improve is not getting run over skills

Can run like Murphy, catch like Dempsy and kicks bigger than Hickie did. He&#39;ll be there for a while.

dangandan
22-06-08, 06:03 AM
ye i agree. kearney was great. and to the guy who thinks the incident where burgess was gettin pat on the head was gay. it was simply tactics to get into the oppositions psyche. rugby isnt ALL about brutal confrontation.