PDA

View Full Version : Georgians 'can prop up Wallabies'

Fushitsusha
11-07-08, 06:07 AM
Georgians 'can prop up Wallabies'

By Bret Harris

July 11, 2008

FORMER World Cup-winning assistant coach Tim Lane has urged the Australian Rugby Union to consider recruiting powerful young Georgian frontrowers to improve Australia's scrum.

Lane, who will coach Georgia for the next four years, was amazed by the depth of talent in the front row in Georgia.

"I go to a lot of the club games over there and there are under-16 and -18 props who are huge, enormous kids ... very, very strong," said Lane, who assisted coach Rod McQueen when Australia won the 1999 World Cup.

"Props are not a problem for us in Georgia. We could probably go down to our 10th or 12th prop and play them in our Six Nations tournament and they'd be very strong.

"I said to (former ARU high performance manager) Pat Howard, you should come over and look at these kids because it's a great opportunity for a kid to come to a country like Australia and add value to where we have struggled a little bit in certain areas.

'It has had such a proud tradition of scrummagers. The only players who played in France 10 to 15 years ago were front-rowers. They wouldn't look at backs or backrowers."

Georgia's tradition of wrestling and weightlifting was largely responsible for the country's front-row strength.

"'Their national sport, apart from soccer and rugby, is wrestling," Lane said. "They have won many world championships, Olympic medals.

"And weightlifting is a sport that they get into as well. They are a big nation. The 16- and 18-year-old props are huge. It's incredible."

Lane plans to take Georgia on a tour of Australia next June.

"We are going to play Western Force. Hopefully, the Reds and Australia A," Lane said.

"They (the ARU) were very happy to bring us out and promote Georgian rugby and hopefully give the Australian teams a bit of knowledge in scrum play."

sanzar
11-07-08, 06:36 AM
Well it worked in the 80s with the Argentinians, so f*** it we might as well. It's not like we're producing any world class props ourselves at the moment.

Fushitsusha
11-07-08, 06:50 AM
Well it worked in the 80s with the Argentinians, so f*** it we might as well. It's not like we're producing any world class props ourselves at the moment.
[/b]

Plus it's hard to look past Dunning and Baxter with Foley still around... :wall:

InsaneAsylum
11-07-08, 06:52 AM
the georgian's probably wont accept dunning or baxter as trades, not even if we offer the a 2 for 1 deal :)

BLR
11-07-08, 07:37 AM
the georgian's probably wont accept dunning or baxter as trades, not even if we offer the a 2 for 1 deal :)
[/b]
We've got plenty of backs who'll never really make it but will drill it in Georgia, swapsies would be ideal there.

But personally I reckon we should pull a smooth one and get a whole front row and give them Two Dads, we don't need him anyway. ;)

Steve-o
11-07-08, 08:58 AM
Just a quick question, kinda off topic. Are Australians big meat eaters?
I've noticed countries that enjoy their beef tend to have big front rows. Argentina, South Africa and Eastern European countries tend to have alot of meat, and specifically beef, in their diets. I mean, who in SA doesn't eat biltong or have braai's? Right, the pussy hockey players.
But it also applies to big fish eating countries like England and NZ.

Klarkash-ton
11-07-08, 09:32 AM
I've noticed countries that enjoy their beef tend to have big front rows. Argentina, South Africa and Eastern European countries tend to have alot of meat, and specifically beef, in their diets. I mean, who in SA doesn't eat biltong or have braai's? Right, the pussy hockey players.
[/b]

not sure what they eat in Oz, but my friend said Dunning and Baxter are pussies :o

sanzar
11-07-08, 10:12 AM
But it also applies to big fish eating countries like England and NZ. [/b]
I don't think there's much of a connection there... Aussies eat as much meat as anybody and we have a massive meat industry, so if it were just the amount of meat we were eating then we'd have a f***ing huge front row.

BLR
11-07-08, 10:14 AM
[/b]
The BBQ is a staple of Australian life, the problem is that they all aspire to be AFL players....

Steve-o
11-07-08, 10:55 AM
Ok fair enough, I still think there's a little connection though. None of you mentioned what meat you mainly eat, so I'm gonna go out on a limb and guess it's mainly mutton? The most protein rich meats are chicken, fish and beef. Very little people know that beef has creatine in it.
One of my mates a chef who works overseas so he deals with alot of imported meat and he says Argentina and South Africa produce some of the best quality beef, and Australia some of worst. He's not into rugby so there's no hidden agenda btw.
But it's most probably more to do with the popular sport codes like BLR said. Also because forward play isn't a traditional style of play in Oz it gets chopped out at grass root level.

I'm just trying to look at all the angles :D

Gavin
11-07-08, 11:07 AM
Surely the Georgian would have to have a relation who is from Australia.

BLR
11-07-08, 12:39 PM
Mutton is more of a kiwi thing, we have alot of lamb, heaps of fish, heaps of chicken, alot of the good stuff.

I remember when my folks went to South Africa and commented on how the props in South Africa were treated like gods eg. Os Du Randt was something of a hero. Now that mentality isn't as prevalent here, our backs have always been the ones getting all the attention, even if they are all show and no real substance. Now I grew up as a prop and from what I've been told before I got too tall/skinny to play prop I was pretty decent but I remember playing and thinking that I was the ****test player around because I wasn't scoring tries like all the rest of the team, and I was never told that success was rated by anything different. There is rarely a pat on a back to the front rows in Australia at all, which sucks as it's a destructive cycle, and these kind of stories **** me off as all it takes is to tell the prop he's doing a good job and tell him that him putting a good push in every scrum wins the game, despite the lack of tries scored.

Anyway, it's an Australian thing, not a diet thing. The Union media is too focused on the glitz and glamour of the backs so kids don't aspire to be props plus the huge drain of the tough blokes into League and AFL that would otherwise go into Union in other countries greatly takes out of the game.

sanzar
11-07-08, 01:19 PM
Ok fair enough, I still think there's a little connection though. None of you mentioned what meat you mainly eat, so I'm gonna go out on a limb and guess it's mainly mutton? The most protein rich meats are chicken, fish and beef. Very little people know that beef has creatine in it.
One of my mates a chef who works overseas so he deals with alot of imported meat and he says Argentina and South Africa produce some of the best quality beef, and Australia some of worst. [/b]
What country does he work as a chef in? Because Australia has a rather sizable meat industry that is known to be one of the best regulated and safest in the world. So our meat is in fairly solid demand... but because of that the good quality stuff only goes to certain places. I'm pretty sure for example that we basically send just crappy hamburger mince to the US.

Prestwick
11-07-08, 01:22 PM
<div class='quotemain'>
I&#39;ve noticed countries that enjoy their beef tend to have big front rows. Argentina, South Africa and Eastern European countries tend to have alot of meat, and specifically beef, in their diets. I mean, who in SA doesn&#39;t eat biltong or have braai&#39;s? Right, the pussy hockey players.
[/b]
The BBQ is a staple of Australian life, the problem is that they all aspire to be AFL players.... [/b][/quote]

I dunno, what about all that "shrimp" that goes on those barbies...cobbler? :lol:

sanzar
11-07-08, 01:23 PM
Anyway, it&#39;s an Australian thing, not a diet thing. The Union media is too focused on the glitz and glamour of the backs so kids don&#39;t aspire to be props plus the huge drain of the tough blokes into League and AFL that would otherwise go into Union in other countries greatly takes out of the game.

[/b]
Yeah, spot on. If you had blokes like Webke growing up playing Union we wouldn&#39;t have the problems we have in the front row. In fact if we had all the massive freaks spread throughout League and AFL in generall playing Union the whole time, then that big rivalry between the All Blacks and SA that has lasted 100 years would have been more like "the big rivalry between SA and NZ" to try make 2nd place behind Australia :D :P .

Steve-o
11-07-08, 02:31 PM
I remember when my folks went to South Africa and commented on how the props in South Africa were treated like gods eg. Os Du Randt was something of a hero.
[/b]

Yeah I never really thought about it but we do treat our best props and, our best forwards in general, like superstars. Just like a star winger like Habana. Guys like Os, Matfield and Burger whether never left out of the hype of the Bok team of 2007. Everybody loves Os, I even read that Roger Federer was a bit disappointed he didn&#39;t get to meet Os when the Boks received the Laureus World Team of the Year award earlier this year :D . Os has done a few TV adverts this year as well lol.

Now you know why I&#39;m so ****** off we didn&#39;t pick our best prop for the Tri-Nations!

What country does he work as a chef in? Because Australia has a rather sizable meat industry that is known to be one of the best regulated and safest in the world. So our meat is in fairly solid demand... but because of that the good quality stuff only goes to certain places. I&#39;m pretty sure for example that we basically send just crappy hamburger mince to the US.

[/b]

Mauritius, in a 4 star hotel. I&#39;m talking about beef more specifically, as good quality beef will have good quality creatine. I&#39;m pretty sure constant small amounts of creatine has affect, it must. Again I&#39;m not saying it&#39;s the reason, it probably only contrubutes like 5% (5 grams of creatine in about 1kg beef) just looking at the possiblities, and small things like this interest me. For example the Spanish couldn&#39;t settle in some parts of the Andes mountains because the lack of air completely killed off their sperm count, while the natives were ok because they had adapted to the conditions.

OK I&#39;ve hi-jacked this thread and taken it way off topic now! Carry on about Georgians.

sanzar
11-07-08, 03:04 PM
Yeah, look if it&#39;s to do with beef, then we&#39;re not short on that at all... My old man started out as a meat worker and most guys eat at least a few solid steaks each week. As we said, it&#39;s the competition for other sports here. You need to watch a bit of the AFL and Rugby League to see what I&#39;m talking about I think.

Steve-o
11-07-08, 03:19 PM
Yeah, look if it&#39;s to do with beef, then we&#39;re not short on that at all... My old man started out as a meat worker and most guys eat at least a few solid steaks each week. As we said, it&#39;s the competition for other sports here. You need to watch a bit of the AFL and Rugby League to see what I&#39;m talking about I think.
[/b]
Yes I acknowledged that, and that Oz doesn&#39;t have a traditionally forward based style of play.
I&#39;ve watched AFL (possibly the funniest sport in the world) and League before.

sanzar
11-07-08, 03:56 PM
<div class='quotemain'>
[/b]
Yes I acknowledged that, and that Oz doesn&#39;t have a traditionally forward based style of play.
I&#39;ve watched AFL (possibly the funniest sport in the world) and League before. [/b][/quote]
Yeah, not much of a fan of AFL myself, but there&#39;s some great athletes amongst their ranks... Australia would have bloody good locks with the tall timber in there. And league, though you may think of it as not being forward focussed has some bloody big guys there. You just need to check out the likes of Willie Mason (though he&#39;d be bloody useless in Union I&#39;d bet).

Ripper
12-07-08, 04:53 AM
Surely the Georgian would have to have a relation who is from Australia. [/b]

If you make one up, no one will notice!

Signed,
Shane Howarth.

Haj
12-07-08, 11:56 AM
I dunno, what about all that "shrimp" that goes on those barbies...cobbler? :lol:

[/b]

"cobbler" :lol2tn:

Prestwick
12-07-08, 03:17 PM
Or as they say in Japan..."cowbwler"? :lol:

BLR
12-07-08, 03:51 PM
It&#39;s cobber for future reference....although I have never heard it said.

InsaneAsylum
12-07-08, 11:55 PM
It&#39;s cobber for future reference....although I have never heard it said. [/b]

i&#39;ve been called Cobber many time by people from tasmania. It must be a tassie thing "g&#39;day cobber"

well all this talk about food has made me hungry, i think i will go and forage in the bush for a while, i might be able to spear a kangaroo and feed the family

Thingimubob
13-07-08, 12:22 AM
<div class='quotemain'>
[/b]
I&#39;ve watched AFL (possibly the funniest sport in the world) and League before. [/b][/quote]

heh, you think AFL&#39;s funny on it&#39;s own? What&#39;s even funnier is watching it in a Bar in Greece, with the locals around you staring intently at it with slightly puzzled looks on their faces :D Now that&#39;s hilarious... Nobody did quite explain why a bar in a slightly rural part of Kefalonia, mostly full of locals (or at least without a single Aussie in sight) had AFL on...

But don&#39;t really agree with Aussie recruiting Georgians, I mean people complain that a lot of Islanders play for the All Blacks (though the majority of them come from immigrant families, and dream of playing for the All Blacks when they were growing up), including a fair few Aussies, so imagine the backlash from around the world if some Georgian prop called something like Dimitri Jimzalvili ends up playing for the Wallabies in a few years.

scotland
13-07-08, 10:05 PM
<div class='quotemain'>
[/b]
But don&#39;t really agree with Aussie recruiting Georgians, I mean people complain that a lot of Islanders play for the All Blacks (though the majority of them come from immigrant families, and dream of playing for the All Blacks when they were growing up), including a fair few Aussies, so imagine the backlash from around the world if some Georgian prop called something like Dimitri Jimzalvili ends up playing for the Wallabies in a few years.
[/b][/quote]

It sounds like a great idea for our benefit. But being a watcher of football in this country and being continually frustrated at watching the likes of Seric, Simunic, Didulicia among others who were born and bred in this country roll out for Croatia or other nations, it would probably be somewhat hypocritical to support an idea like this though.

Haj
14-07-08, 02:52 AM
r u talkin about soccer?

BLR
14-07-08, 03:20 AM
r u talkin about soccer?[/b]
What is this &#39;soccer&#39; you speak of?

InsaneAsylum
14-07-08, 04:15 AM
you know soccer....

http://www.yesterland.com/images-fantasyland/planecrazy.jpg

scotland
14-07-08, 04:20 AM
r u talkin about soccer?
[/b]

Yeah Football...the game where are our national team is the "socceroos" but our national body is the Football Federation Australia.

BLR
14-07-08, 04:43 AM
you know soccer....

[/b]
Is that the cast from &#39;Tailspin&#39;?

InsaneAsylum
14-07-08, 06:42 AM
<div class='quotemain'>
you know soccer....

[/b]
Is that the cast from &#39;Tailspin&#39;? [/b][/quote]

NO!!! it&#39;s a soccer match :ranting:

:P

Haj
14-07-08, 06:45 AM
Oh you mean soccer!!! Its such a cute game innit!

http://img403.imageshack.us/img403/935/soccerbuttballhf3.jpg

http://bigfoamfinger.files.wordpress.com/2007/07/funny_soccer_2.jpg

http://www.frenchfriends.info/files/funny_soccer.jpg

http://bp2.blogger.com/_OkuhepoopDc/RhUV8O-_nrI/AAAAAAAAAAo/8OcGkYWfvG0/s320/soccer2.jpg

http://tmunot.com/old/funny/sport/060702-soccer-fear.jpg

BLR
14-07-08, 06:51 AM
Do I have to post links to Eduardos ankle snap?

Look at Martin Skrtel and the new Left back Dossenna for Liverpool and football won&#39;t seem so womanly then. These blokes would rip you a new one if you looked at them wrong.

Haj
14-07-08, 07:00 AM
Thtop it!

alexrugby
30-07-08, 05:36 PM
Hello guys I have just encountered this thread
Well Tim Lane made great name here in Georgia as he successfully tries to put some play unique to Southern Hemi&#39;s here in our team and as he says (and does it not for the polite aims) he is quite satisfied with the results
after his head coaching took start Georgia does really gain in play and results got high too we have won FIRA AER European Nations Cup second time with big dominance and also Georgia took Silver medals from IRB nations Cup buchrest 2008, being second after Emerging RSA
Actually people here in Georgia think Tim Lane&#39;s visit in Georgia was too timely "adding benzene on fire" and progressing team in the time of great positive changes.
Well Tim is called Guru now here in Georgia
Cheers

shtove
30-07-08, 06:00 PM
Hello guys I have just encountered this thread[/b]
You can tell us - do all Georgians grow up with wrestling as a sport? Might explain their front row power.

alexrugby
30-07-08, 06:50 PM
I don&#39;t actually understand your question could you be more detailed please?!If you&#39;re interested whether Georgian wrestlers move to rugby play I will tell you that YES we have numerous famous rugby players who syopped with basketball Wrestling and other spotrs (like boxers) and move to Rugby and soon they gain access to nat.team
But despite Georgian are famous of their strong bodybuilding as Magraqvelidze, Zirakashvili, Gorgodze, levan Tsabadze (past captain of Nat team) and they all play in France despite their "nonrugby deep roots"
others may be called "pure rugby players"
when playing in Krasnoyarsk in Russia against these guys their sports commentator was complying of Russians weak physical capabilities and Georgia was cited as the "strong machine" and such words, I repeat that is the strong side of Georgians
AM I complete with your question?

alexrugby
30-07-08, 07:05 PM
And also not only every Georgian has contact with wrestling here despite the wrestling&#39;s popularity. Mostly people from the peripheries are involved in wrestling
we have Olympic champions and silver medalists
but could have more if not f***in&#39; USSR B)

http://www.ucv.ve/judo/Atenas%202004/Fotos/_90win.jpg
zurab zviadauri gold medalist in Judo Athens

shtove
30-07-08, 08:56 PM
Thanks. But next time you play Ireland you&#39;re dead.

**** Russia!

alexrugby
31-07-08, 12:34 PM
See that brother :cheers: :cheers:
f*** Russia? are already f***ed :bana: :bana:
Thanks for interest :cheers:

Cheers friend

http://www.acc.umu.se/~hannes/blosxom/data/beer/kilkenny.jpg

alexrugby
01-08-08, 04:51 PM
Well I&#39;ve got some little FLV video on Youtube.com about how the Georgian scrum or maul machine works and if interested you can follow this link and and watch that
This video is taken in Portugal and we played against local "lobos" (wolves), we won that match with huge advantage :D :D

My Webpage (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mN8lE93XX7s)

and maul also against Russia we also won that match
My Webpage (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AOd4e-ts-tk)

I think quite impressive
Best regards

alexrugby
01-08-08, 05:59 PM
Lets see :D
that was amazing match, it was a sparkle in Georgia&#39;s rugby
what about Russia, Georgians play though against them and results are amazing with 15 years of absolute Georgian dominance
Yeah its 15years Russia dreams to win Georgia but they can&#39;t
There are 10 wins 1 loss and 1 match "for nobody" :D
so........