PDA

View Full Version : Dragons v Warriors

An Tarbh
09-10-08, 11:29 AM
<div align='center'>http://www.therugbyforum.com/forum/uploads/Dragons.png http://www.therugbyforum.com/forum/uploads/Glasgow.png
Dragons v Glasgow
Venue: Rodney Parade
Date: 11 October 2008
Kickoff - 14:30</div>

Dragons coach Paul Turner recalls his senior players in a 28-man squad for Saturday&#39;s Heineken Cup opener with Glasgow at Rodney Parade.

Captain Tom Willis returns after a slight neck injury, while veteran back-row Colin Charvis is likely to figure.

Prop Adam Black and back-row Joe Bearman are named in the squad but are both injury doubts.

The Dragons face a testing time in Pool Five, where they are up against Bath and Toulouse as well as the Warriors.

Dragons coach Turner opted to rest the majority of his front-line players for last week&#39;s EDF Cup win over Newcastle.

But the senior stars return for a match that Turner has targeted as a must-win.

"We know we have to start with a win with those other two to come," said Turner.

"We&#39;ll be up against the in-form club of the Guinness Premiership and the Real Madrid of rugby.

"But we&#39;ve won three on the trot, there&#39;s a good feeling about the place and a few players to come back from slight bumps, the squad&#39;s in good shape."

The Dragons will be on a revenge mission following their 6-12 defeat to the Warriors in the opening Magners League game of the season at Rodney Parade.

"Glasgow are a good side, we&#39;ve got something to settle after that last defeat," said Turner.

"We have to keep (fly-half) Dan Parks quiet and play the right kind of game against them.

"There was a dreadful monsoon the night we lost to them and we tried to play too much while they didn&#39;t play anything. We&#39;ve learnt a lot from that."

Glasgow lock Al Kellock said the familiarity of taking on a side from the Magners League could prove positive as his side aim to go one stage further than the quarter-final stage they reached last year.

"The fact that we went down there at the beginning of the season and got a win will give us a bit of confidence," said Kellock.

"There&#39;s no unknown factor - for them either - so we can look at the team from earlier on in the season, but I think it&#39;s probably a good thing that we&#39;re up against a team first.

"I&#39;ve been involved a couple of times in the Heineken cup with Edinburgh, but for us last year it was a sickener at the end of the season.

"We put ourselves in a position where we could have gone on and qualified, and we&#39;ve got to be going in to the last couple of games with an opportunity.

"The guys will be even hungrier after last year."

BBC Sport (http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/rugby_union/welsh/7653578.stm)

Vambo
09-10-08, 02:41 PM
Home win for me. Might not have the biggest names in Welsh rugby but I like the team spirit at the Dragons something which seems to be missing at times fom the other Welsh regions.

An Tarbh
09-10-08, 03:23 PM
I&#39;d go with Glasgow for this one to be honest, they&#39;ve already got the win there this season so it&#39;s not like their usual away day in the Heineken Cup, so I&#39;d back them to improve their dismal away record.

Sir Speedy
11-10-08, 09:32 PM
32 - 22 to the Dragons. Good for them; it&#39;s the only win they&#39;ll get in the tournamant, though...