PDA

View Full Version : Auckland Squad

..::ERIC::..
14-07-05, 01:40 AM
Forwards:
Chris Heard, Daniel Muller, Nick White, Saimone Taumoepeau, Semisi Telefoni, Lance Poching, Bryce Williams, Brad Mika, Kurtis Haiu, Angus MacDonald, Jerome Kaino, Justin Collins Captain, Daniel Braid.

Backs:
Steve Devine, Taniela Moa, Tasesa Lavea, Isaia Toe'ava, Sam Tuitupou, Ben Atiga, Gavin Williams, Jamie Helleur, James Somersett, Tony Koonwaiyou, Doug Howlett, Brent Ward, Isa Nacewa.

All Blacks unavailable.

Big mistake IMO. Collins as captain means he will take either 6 or 7 always. I don't believe that he is one of the best 3 looseforwards in Auckland. Assuming Braid takes 7, Kaino and MacDonald will be left fighting for 8. Unless MacDonald moves to lock which would make sence. Oh and haha, only one 10 in the squad. Prepare to get killed. Where the hell is David Gibson? Injured?

Ripper
14-07-05, 01:49 AM
1. Mr T
2. Dont Know - Dont Care - The Sooner the Oliver gets fit the Better
3. See Above
4. McDonald
5. Mika
6. Kaino
7. Braid
8. Collins

9. Devine

10. Lavea
11. Nacewa
12. Wife Basher
13. Atiga
14. Howlett
15. Ward (K)

Backline isnt that bad, apart from Lavea.

Foward pack is utter **** apart from Kaino and Mr T.

All in all, let the Public Lynching of Pat Lam begin (*Applause*)

esoj
14-07-05, 02:33 AM
yeah i'm pretty sure gibson is injured and the abs will be considered after the tri nations is finished. I am amusing one of those guys in the backs can play 10 as only having lavea would be crazy. Collins will be 6 with braid at 7 with kaino at 8 and macDonald at lock maybe.

sambãd5
14-07-05, 04:46 AM
oreni ai'i?

is must be in the 7's then wouldnt he? how long will that hold him back from the npc? hes one of my favs, and he can play anywhere in the back line. weve seen him play fb,ct,2nd5/8, 1st 5/8 from my [poor] memory. if you can play ct and fb, it means you can play wing aswell, but i think he would be good at the 5/8 position anyway...

Southern man
14-07-05, 05:02 AM
Orene has gone to japan I think.

sambãd5
14-07-05, 05:23 AM
aye! uncool orene, verry uncool! http://www.therugbyforum.com/forum/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/mad.gif

Ripper
14-07-05, 05:24 AM
Orene Ai&#39;i > Tasea Lavea anyday of the week.

14-07-05, 06:21 AM
Lol, I remember when Ripper wanted Ai&#39;i at 10 for the Blues over McAlister a few years ago.

Ripper
14-07-05, 06:57 AM
Wasnt that the Same time you were saying that Lavea should start ahead of both McAlister and Ai&#39;i when Spencer broke his jaw in that Chiefs game?

14-07-05, 06:58 AM
No, it was two years ago when Spencer was out for the trip to SA, Lavea was still in League and I was saying that McAlister should be flown straight into the 10 jersey (which he was) ahead of Ai&#39;i, to which you replied somthing along the lines of:

"No way, Ai&#39;i > McAlister. McAlister wont even make the bench."

Ripper
14-07-05, 07:02 AM
Cant have been 2 years ago for 2 reasons...

A ) It was 2003 and Spencer was carving up the S12 like a knife through melted butter and he only missed the first game against the Tahs (From Memory)

B ) This forum didnt open up till July 2003

When Spencer got injured last year I remember you and me having some arguement on MSN about Ai&#39;i v Lavea.

14-07-05, 07:14 AM
Meh, maybe it was last year. But, anyhow, the point is still that you though McAlister would never even make the Blues bench, and now you want him starting at 12 for the All Blacks. It just seems like a dramatic change of tune.

Ripper
14-07-05, 07:15 AM
Players come from nowhere and Players go from somewhere to nowhere.

Last year Ali Williams looked like his AB days were put on Hold due to the return of Simon Maling, Keith Robinson and on the end of year tour, Maxwell.

Now look it him, he&#39;s cemented his place as Chris Jacks locking partner and unless he loses confindence again, he&#39;ll play many more fine games in the Black Jersey.

18 months ago would you have predicted that Rico Gear or Ma&#39;a Nonu wouldve kept Joe Rocokoko out of the Lions Series?

umosay
14-07-05, 08:11 AM
Hopefully for Aucklands sake Telefoni is not the hooker, they would have to call up someone who can throw surely.

No pun intended, honest.

esoj
14-07-05, 08:51 AM
I believe orene has gone to japan. Telefoni didn&#39;t have a good game against the Lions but hopefully that was a once off

THE CHIROPRACTOR101
15-07-05, 08:21 AM
orene has buggered off to japan..

f***in dumb pat lam puts him at halfback?
what goods he doing passing the ball all the time when hes better in openspace and running?...

anyways if i see pat lam anytime soon ill make sure no one will find em!

lets go counties manukau!!!!

esoj
15-07-05, 08:29 AM
orene actually wanted to play halfback so that he could get into the abs. after hearing about canterbury trying to get kevin senio I am hoping canterbury get whipped by bop

THE CHIROPRACTOR101
15-07-05, 08:34 AM
shame on canturbury

what happened to this depth?
i reckon kevin shud be in the abs as 3rd string back up hb...but kelleher has made it hard for him

Los Lover
16-07-05, 06:53 AM
Originally posted by Ripper@Jul 14 2005, 08:15 PM
Players come from nowhere and Players go from somewhere to nowhere.

Last year Ali Williams looked like his AB days were put on Hold due to the return of Simon Maling, Keith Robinson and on the end of year tour, Maxwell.

Now look it him, he&#39;s cemented his place as Chris Jacks locking partner and unless he loses confindence again, he&#39;ll play many more fine games in the Black Jersey.

18 months ago would you have predicted that Rico Gear or Ma&#39;a Nonu wouldve kept Joe Rocokoko out of the Lions Series?
Rubbish.....I was following this discussion and nuetrally judging it, but no way dude.

McAllister was always a good player with unbelievable potential.....it&#39;s not that he came "from nowhere" - it is that you either don&#39;t know what you are talking about OR you are the last person I&#39;d want scouting for my team that&#39;s gor damn sure.

Ai&#39;i!?

http://www.therugbyforum.com/forum/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/rolleyes.gif

I&#39;ll tell you what I remember:

I remember everyone telling me that Spencer sucked and that the Blues needed Lavea and he "was better" etc..... http://www.therugbyforum.com/forum/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/laugh.gif http://www.therugbyforum.com/forum/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/laugh.gif http://www.therugbyforum.com/forum/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/laugh.gif

http://www.therugbyforum.com/forum/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/cool.gif

good one.

THE CHIROPRACTOR101
16-07-05, 07:05 AM
Originally posted by Los Lover@Jul 16 2005, 06:53 PM
I&#39;ll tell you what I remember:

I remember everyone telling me that Spencer sucked and that the Blues needed Lavea and he "was better" etc..... http://www.therugbyforum.com/forum/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/laugh.gif http://www.therugbyforum.com/forum/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/laugh.gif http://www.therugbyforum.com/forum/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/laugh.gif

http://www.therugbyforum.com/forum/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/cool.gif

good one.
yeah dam those people!!!

**** not spencers fault this season he didnt perform..how **** were our dumb forwards!!!!...and they only played well like 2 or 3 times this super12 and thats when lavea showed the best of his abilities(which quite frankly falls along way from spencer)....and we have got better depth then this sorry crowd of players

lavea shud go to the warriors

Ripper
16-07-05, 07:32 AM
Originally posted by Los Lover@Jul 16 2005, 06:53 PM
I remember everyone telling me that Spencer sucked and that the Blues needed Lavea and he "was better" etc..... http://www.therugbyforum.com/forum/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/laugh.gif* http://www.therugbyforum.com/forum/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/laugh.gif* http://www.therugbyforum.com/forum/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/laugh.gif
The only one who was riding Lavea&#39;s arse was Eric...

Virtually everybody else still wanted Spencer.

Ai&#39;i > Lavea anyday of the Week, I still reckon we should try Ben Atiga at Fly Half - we sure as hell cant do anyworse.

And you still havent answered Erics and NZL_Fans inquiry when you going on about how such a great predictor you were and what not - when they proved you posted your "predicted" Lions team an Hour after it had been named...

sambãd5
16-07-05, 10:26 AM
yeah good point with atinga. in r2005, i used him there for a while, and yes i know theres a diffrence between the game and reality (one being ea cant screw real rugby up) but stats wise, it did work. and i mean, he can play 2nd/5 and fb, which means he must be able to play 5/8.

or at least better than lavea

ALLBLACKS
16-07-05, 10:54 AM
i dont think auckland has a better center...the switch might give auckland a few more star ratings at 5/8 but there are more cons then pros i think...the loss at center will effect them more even if they gain more at 5/8

THE CHIROPRACTOR101
16-07-05, 03:40 PM
hes a **** centre...he aint the best defender around he has incredible attacking ability but occasionally drops the ball or throws the 50/50 offload that turns into a knock on...we have better talent than this in auckland especially in the backline...

sambãd5
17-07-05, 12:56 AM
i think its time we went back to the good ol&#39; days when we stole players. i think a neigbour will be good. (im looking at you luke!)

Ripper
17-07-05, 01:00 AM
People who should be high on the Hit List

- Luke McAlister
- Maybe Nick Williams - although after McDonalds performance for the Maori that wont be much of an issue.

and thats it, the only thing were lacking in ATM is a decent Fly Half, I mean a backline of.

9. Devine
10. McAlister
11. Rocokoko
12. Sam
13. Atiga
14. Howlett
15. Milsy

Is gonna be hard to beat. As well as that Nacewa and Brent Ward have shown that they can match it up with the Big Boys...

17-07-05, 01:10 AM
Canterbury can beat that backline easily if they get Senio.

9: Senio
10: Carter
11: Ralph / Delasau
12: Mauger
13: Laulala
14: Hamilton
15: MacDonald

With the likes of McIntyre and Blair on the bench and the large possibility of Rico Gear shifting there.

THE CHIROPRACTOR101
17-07-05, 03:35 AM
nah we shud get lauaki or tuialii back...rush will be gone after this season...
and drop mcdonald to northland hes hideous

id hav mika at blindside and collins at lock
and have kaino at no.8 and braid at 7

braid has been **** of late.....so might bench him at put kaino at 7..jus 4 a couple games and use him as a impact player

backline id try ward at 1st five..solid in everything but ballhandlings a problem but he prolly wont throw knee high passes and hospital passes like lavea..id try lavea at 12 and gavin williams at 13.

gavin williams is an awesome player like his dad very solid everywhere on the field...i hope he plays for auckland blues next season and we cud move muliaina in the midfield..and gavin at the back that wud be awesome....necewa and koonwaiyou on the wings and howlett at fullback

9.devine
10.ward
11.koonwaiyou
12.lavea
13.gavin williams(when he played for otago he reminded me of conrad smith...conrad smith is the most deceptive player in the abs and auckland can use a guy similar)
14.necewa or baby howlett
15.howlett-has slowed down heaps much more of a worker and wud be great at centre if need be but hes safe at the back..counter attacking still good..average kicking game but his scrambling defense is quite outstanding **** im sounding like graham henry haha

Ripper
17-07-05, 05:33 AM
Originally posted by ..::ERIC::..@Jul 17 2005, 01:10 PM
Canterbury can beat that backline easily if they get Senio.

9: Senio
10: Carter
11: Ralph / Delasau
12: Mauger
13: Laulala
14: Hamilton
15: MacDonald

With the likes of McIntyre and Blair on the bench and the large possibility of Rico Gear shifting there.
Lol...

Only at 9 and 10... possibly 13 although Atiga definatly has more natural athlectism

You telling me f***ing Caleb Ralph and Scott Hamilton are a better Wing Combo then Joe Rocokoko and Doug Howlett? You need to lay off that Floor Cleaner and go for something weaker like Low Grade Rat Poison.

ALLBLACKS
12-08-05, 11:20 AM
Yes howletts cover on defence is awesome...Has he really slowed down alot though thats a shame if so.

sambãd5
12-08-05, 10:44 PM
hes still better than ralph, and hamilton.

by a country mile.

ALLBLACKS
12-08-05, 11:44 PM
FFRRRRRRRIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIICK that dude should be an ALL BLACK its a sahme class players drop of a bit,i really thought him and rokocoko would be the pair untill 1 of them retired.

THE CHIROPRACTOR101
13-08-05, 03:54 AM
he hasnt dropped his form its other guys just steppin up..roko,gear and sivi...

he is still a topclass player....he has lost a little bit of speed but his work from the wing has improved greatly....he has been molded into a fullback i think..

Ripper
13-08-05, 07:06 AM
So Far, so good, 20 points to 3, Brent Ward has really stepped up his goal kicking, why that Loser Lam doesnt mind letting an Unproven Kaino start, but when he becomes an All Black, he relegates him to the bench is beyond me.

ALLBLACKS
13-08-05, 07:39 AM
Please post a ful game review if you coul of your version on players who are stepping up or deserve an ALL BLACK spot.

THE CHIROPRACTOR101
13-08-05, 08:21 AM
howlett is still class!

lavea however doesnt have a solid kicking game or passing game how he is the best 1st five auckland has is a mystery

nacewa is awesome anywhere u put him...fullback wing or centre..hell put him in as prop and he wud give it 100%..lol

auckland victorius in a game they shouldve thrashed the north harbour team lol and lomu makes a pretty scary waterboy...

auckland has unearthed two new young guns in halfback moa and the other lock with the freakin long hair..both tongan mongrels...brad mika is playin well and i like to see sammy the muss return...

ALLBLACKS
13-08-05, 09:38 AM
Yea Nacewa was spose to play for Fiji this yr but im not sure what happened...I remember watching him last yr i think it was during the npc and i thought it was Doug Howlett.

esoj
13-08-05, 11:35 PM
I think nacewas plane got delayed or something like that. Nacewa isn&#39;t too bad at all and can play anywhere it seems.defintely looks like some good young guys coming through in haiu and mola. I think tui might be injured not totally sure. Howlett looked good some nice runs and nice chip kicks.

sambãd5
03-09-05, 02:04 AM
bloody pat lam! look:

heres pat lams fowards minus the frount row:

4:mika
5:haiu
6:collins
7:braid
8:macdonald

no kaino!!!

heres what it should look like:

4:macdonald
5:mika/haiu
6:collins
7:braid
8:kaino

kaino will be in the end of year touring team, and he doesnt even get on the auckland 15!!! if collins wasnt captain, then he would be on the bench instead of kaino. and macdonald is in exceptianal form, one of the standouts of the year.

Ripper
03-09-05, 07:15 AM
Wasnt Kaino called up to the All Black Squad?

esoj
03-09-05, 10:42 AM
yes he was but I think he got released when he wasn&#39;t needed.

THE CHIROPRACTOR101
04-09-05, 04:36 AM
koonwaiyou is steppin up a notch!!!

see his try?..mean sidestep an speed..supposely up there with anesi as the fastest in nz rugby..hahahaha...

no one told rupeni that in that crusaders match lol...but yeh tony koonwaiyou is on the steady improve and wit mills goin to waikato we shud keep him in auckland blues with ward and brian williams son!!!

our super14 problems will be solved...

but to find a way to dispose of lavea....another challenge!

i say murder!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!1111111!111111

THE CHIROPRACTOR101
11-09-05, 02:01 AM
Brilliant Auckland silence doubters

By Gregor Paul

Auckland did just about enough last night to crawl back into the circle of trust. By beating Waikato 40-30 they showed that the gun they used to draw so casually last season to shoot off their own foot has been misplaced.

Given it was their fifth straight win, coach Pat Lam may feel his side had already done enough in earlier rounds to convince the doubters that the lobotomised football of last season was all just an aberration.

But Auckland needed to perform and beat a side of Waikato&#39;s standing to really convince the doubters that they will no longer implode when they are put under constant pressure. They got their result and, for the most part, delivered the performance. That&#39;s not to say they were clinical and ruthless.

In the last 10 minutes of the first half they managed to get in behind Waikato&#39;s defence four times. Yet they only managed to finish once - and even then they made hard work of it when Tasesa Lavea strangely chose to chip ahead after making a sumptuous break up the middle.

A lucky bounce enabled Derren Witcombe to jink past Liam Messam.

It wouldn&#39;t be right, though, to dwell on negatives. Not only was it a pulsating game, Auckland delivered some gold-plated highlights.

Ben Atiga&#39;s try early in the second half was 40 seconds of instinctive rugby that few sides in the world could emulate.

The skill level was breathtaking in the way both forwards and backs offloaded out of the tackle.

The speed and athleticism of the support running was a feature, too.

The old school can harp on about tight forwards having no business running out in the open but seeing Brad Mika, Jerome Kaino and Kurtis Huia in full flight, as they so often were last night, remains one of the best spectacles in the game.

Lam would certainly see it that way as this was always his vision for Auckland.

It was his intention last season to get his side to use the natural flair that flows so freely through the veins of every player.

Where Auckland went wrong last season, however, was that they had no stable platform up front.

It wasn&#39;t so much in the set piece that they were flaky, it was their ball retention. Too often last season they would try and throw the impossible pass and force the game in the wrong areas of the field.

Now they arrive at the breakdown in numbers and protect the ball.

They get some momentum and some go-forward and then they look to go wide once they have created some space.

That&#39;s why they were so effective last night.

Lavea, who is slowly adding real polish to his game, had time to assess his options and usually it was pretty obvious what he should do.

More often than not the best ploy was to go wide where Auckland had runners to spare.

And when you give runners like Brent Ward, Ben Atiga and Isa Nacewa a few yards to work on, they will carve you up.

But it wasn&#39;t just the glory boys who were doing the damage.

Mika and Kaino both made a couple of memorable charges to show off their incredible speed and athleticism.

The consequence of that, however, was that they perhaps handed the set-piece edge to Waikato, whose front row probably just shaded the scrum battle, or at least they did in the first 55 minutes when they had the gargantuan Philemon Toleafoa at loosehead.

The youngster has come back from France with a huge reputation to uphold. He went some way towards justifying all the fuss last night. He&#39;s probably still a few games short of full fitness but he did manage to give John Afoa a torrid time - and also almost snap Brent Ward in half with an almighty tackle.

If he can manage a few more performances of last night&#39;s calibre don&#39;t be surprised if he is taken on the All Blacks&#39; end-of-season tour.

It wouldn&#39;t be a surprise either to see Mika join him on the plane. The All Black selectors have three locking options and will be hoping a fourth emerges strongly in the final rounds of the NPC.

Mika is never going to dominate at the lineout but, given the all-action style being fashioned by the All Blacks, he would be right at home.

Auckland now must be strong favourites to go all the way and recapture the trophy that they won in 2004.

But they should leave all that crystal-ball gazing to others as getting too far ahead of themselves has seen them come unstuck in the past.

Auckland (T. Koonwaiyou, D. Witcombe 2, B. Atiga, S. Tuitupou tries; B. Ward 3 cons, 3 pens).

Waikato (S. Bates, L. Messam; S. Donald tries; S. Donald 3 cons, 3 pens).

- HERALD ON SUNDAY

Author

-----------------
WHAT A MEEANNNNNNN GAME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ARE WE BACK OR WHUT?