View Full Version : Bristol vs Plymouth

10-11-09, 12:29 PM
Apologies for the late posting, my laptop is bust.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>
Bristol take control with convincing win at Plymouth
Bristol continued their recent improvement with a five try blitz on West Country rivals Plymouth Albion at Brickfields. Final score 8-33.
After an improved performance at home to Coventry last week, Bristol continued on the front foot with an impressive display against Plymouth Albion.

A controlled Bristol ran in 5 tries, with two from James Phillps who effortlessly slipped back into his favoured position in the back row.

David Blaney crossed the line in a move credited to the Bristol pack, while Jason Spice and former Plymouth fullback Luke Arscott also scored for the visitors.

Plymouth&#39;s Kieron Hallett failed to find his angle in the opening half, missing 3 kicks despite holding the title of top points scorer for his side.

Bristol, meanwhile, got on the board early thanks to the strength of the forwards who sent James Phillips over in the 12th minute from the set piece. Jarvis missed the conversion to leave Bristol ahead by 5.

Now fully in their stride, Bristol dominated upfront and as a result, Plymouth persistently collapsed the scrum meters from a likely Bristol score. Despite their advantage, Bristol heard the referees whistle when they were penalised at the scrum and Plymouth escaped unscathed, clearing to touch.

Fly-half Hallet missed his chances to get Plymouth on the score sheet, slicing two penalties when Bristol played off their feet. Third time lucky, he secured the three points after James Phillips was shown a yellow card for indiscipline just before the break.

With fourteen men on the pitch, Bristol dug deep to score a second try before half time, this time from a backs move, with Junior Fatialofa breaking through the defense. Offloading to Luke Arscott, the fullback shot down the wing and was taken to ground inside the 22. In support, Adrian Jarvis stepped in at scrum half before Jason Spice slipped through, stepping inside to cross the line. Jarvis added the 2 points to leave Bristol ahead by 9 at the break. 3-12.

The second half started slowly for both sides, with the first score coming after 14 minutes when Plymouth&#39;s Alex Davies capitalised on a period of forward pressure from his side, opting for quick ball to winger Ben Mercer who crossed the line. Fullback Hallett missed the conversion to leave his side behind by 4. 8-12.

Bristol, undeterred by Plymouth&#39;s score, got the ball moving through the backs with Junior Fatialofa, Dan Norton and Jack Adams all pressuring into the 22.

After the ball was knocked out of Spice&#39;s hand at the breakdown, Bristol&#39;s Dan Montagu received at the line out before a powerful driving maul crashed David Blaney over the line. In increasingly bad conditions, Adrian Jarvis sailed the ball between the posts. 8-19

With only 5 minutes past since their last score, Bristol kept up the momentum with a further try, this time from Luke Arscott. After a period of forward pressure from the home side ended with a knock on, fullback Arscott gathered the lose ball and sprinted 40 yards to secure the bonus try against his former club. Jarvis made the conversion to take Bristol out of reach, 8-26.

Off the back of another solid performance, James Phillips scrambled over for a final try when David Blaney carried forward into the 22 after Fatialofa&#39;s break in the centre. Jarvis converted to hand Bristol a convincing 8-33 win.[/b]