PDA

View Full Version : RFU Championship Final Part 2 - Bristol Rugby v Exeter Chiefs

Teh Mite
26-05-10, 06:47 PM
Here we go!

In the first minute, Bristol have an easy(ish) penalty but drive it into the corner instead. Don't think this is going to be a dull one.

Also, hell of a noise from the Bristol fans. 12,000 packed in.

Teh Mite
26-05-10, 06:49 PM
Arscott ****s up and hands Exe a lineout 10m out.

Teh Mite
26-05-10, 06:51 PM
5 mins 0-3 to Exe (6-12 agg)

TRF_Olyy
26-05-10, 06:55 PM
Exeter are all over this

Teh Mite
26-05-10, 07:00 PM
Superb from them,forwards are pretty much all they've ever had, but they're well drilled.

Should be 0-6 now wiith another penalty.

Teh Mite
26-05-10, 07:02 PM
Luke Arscott goes in near the posts.

Should be 7-6 (13-15)

TRF_Cymro
26-05-10, 07:05 PM
Keep the updates coming lads ... with Waterloo Road on and Junior Apprentice its taking a back seat at the mo.

TRF_Olyy
26-05-10, 07:07 PM
Just started absolutely bucketing it down,

Exeter taking a penalty now.....

7 - 9
(13 - 18)

Teh Mite
26-05-10, 07:07 PM
Exe retake the lead with another penalty, 7-9 (13-18).

This is going to be a nail-biter finish.

Teh Mite
26-05-10, 07:09 PM
Stephenson bangs one from over halfway to put Exe further ahead: 7-12 (13-21)

Ominous for the league winners.

TRF_Cymro
26-05-10, 07:09 PM
this would be a massive upset if Bristol don't get promoted.

TRF_Olyy
26-05-10, 07:13 PM
It's looking that way at the moment,
Exeter forwards are dominating the game, and Bristol are just handing them penalties on a plate

Teh Mite
26-05-10, 07:16 PM
What a pummelling so far, exe 3 more off a DG 7-15 (13-24)

TRF_Olyy
26-05-10, 07:26 PM
There's some fine mullets on display in the Exeter squad

Teh Mite
26-05-10, 07:30 PM
Haha! Noticed that meself.... They could be a rugby league squad there's that many of them!

Also, is that Exeter red-indian chant just the best thing ever?

TRF_Olyy
26-05-10, 07:32 PM
Also, is that Exeter red-indian chant just the best thing ever?
Can't imagine BristolIain is enjoying it too much ;)

Teh Mite
26-05-10, 07:47 PM
Long penalty to Bris on 43 mins, but Jarvis can't convert.

I'll go out on a whim here and say if Briss can't score in the next 10 minutes, Exeter are going up.

Which begs the question... Is that actually fair on the team which finished top?

Teh Mite
26-05-10, 07:49 PM
Exeter just denied a score illegally after Briss kill the ball when chiefs are on the break.

Going for the Jugular as Exeter put it in corner.

Teh Mite
26-05-10, 07:50 PM
Briss survive that time but are hanging on by their fingernails.

TRF_Olyy
26-05-10, 07:52 PM
Which begs the question... Is that actually fair on the team which finished top? Not really, but it's the same in the Magners/Guinness, the team that comes top doesn't neccesarily get the trophy.
Think they should have had a 1st vs 2nd final (single game) in a neutral venue to sort it rather than the playoffs and double legged final.

Looking at the table though, Bristol were 4 points up at the end, and all of those were bonuses, having both won 19 lost 3 games. So you could say is it fair that the top team goes up when they're only top on bonuses?

Bristol get a penalty:

10 - 15
(16-24)
Still more than a converted try out

Teh Mite
26-05-10, 07:57 PM
Once upon a time though that'd be judged on tries scored then points difference for the top spot. I still think the League should be a league and any end of season playoffs should be for a separate cup competition.

Although to be fair, this is a lot more tasty due to the playoffs. Next year with Wuss and Bristol it won't need artificial atmosphere from them though.

OT: Jarvis pulls 3 back to make it 10-15 (16-24)

Still a lot of work to do for the home side.

Teh Mite
26-05-10, 08:00 PM
Exe fall short on a 50m penalty, Arscott returns the punt and puts the lineiout on halfway.

snoopy snoopy dog dog
26-05-10, 08:02 PM
Two decent packs but the skills levels are woeful. Exeter's 10 has a decent boot on him but he sits too deep in the pocket thus stifling their attack.

Teh Mite
26-05-10, 08:04 PM
Jarvis hits the post on an easy penalty!

TRF_Olyy
26-05-10, 08:04 PM
Oof! Bristol penalty bounces off of the upright!

Teh Mite
26-05-10, 08:06 PM
Immediate return, Stephenson gets a penalty from 45m out for a late challenge; Nailed it!

10-18 (16-27) with 19 minutes to go.

Teh Mite
26-05-10, 08:15 PM
Stephenson runs from his own 5m line up to the Bristol 22 and wins a penalty... In front of the Posts, surely this will win it?

10-21 (16-30) with 11 minutes to go... No way Bristol look like scoring 2 converted tries in that time.

TRF_Olyy
26-05-10, 08:16 PM
3 more points for Exeter
Puts them 14 ahead on aggregate, with 11minutes on the clock,
Bristol are going to need a miracle

Teh Mite
26-05-10, 08:19 PM
Exeter would beat both Wuss and Leeds (and maybe Sale and Newcastle) playing like this. Can't see Bristol getting back into this, their heads are dropping and the panicking mistakes are creeping in.

Teh Mite
26-05-10, 08:21 PM
Exe DG makes it 10-24 (16-33).

No coming back now. Heart bleeds for Bristol, but Exeter have been as much the better side as the scoreline suggests.

snoopy snoopy dog dog
26-05-10, 08:26 PM
I'm delighted for Exeter; it's always good to see a new team come up to the top tier. That said, it's extremely tough on Bristol who were the best team in the division.

The system is flawed - it was possible for a team to coast through the season and finish 8th yet they could still go up.

TRF_Olyy
26-05-10, 08:26 PM
Yup, absolutely gutting for Bristol fans, but Exeter outplayed them completely tonight.
Next years promotion battle will be a good one with Bristol/Worcester fighting it out

Teh Mite
26-05-10, 08:27 PM
Exe finish with a Flourish

Teh Mite
26-05-10, 08:29 PM
10-29* Final score

*If it really matters... That's 16-38.

TRF_Cymro
26-05-10, 08:32 PM
Bit of a shock that ... Bristol thought they had it all done and dusted and started preparing for life in the GP ... unfortunately they are going to be in dire problems this season.

TRF_Olyy
26-05-10, 08:34 PM
Looking into it, Exeter had more tries throughout the season, and a bigger points difference than Bristol, so technically, the better team went up :p

Teh Mite
26-05-10, 08:36 PM
At least I get a trip to Sandy park next year, missed it during the Demolition Tour.

Equally delighted for Exeter and heartbroken for Bristol though.

Teh Mite
26-05-10, 08:36 PM
Looking into it, Exeter had more tries throughout the season, and a bigger points difference than Bristol, so technically, the better team went up :p

Ah, sod it... I didn't realise that so G'wan Exeter! :D

iWin
26-05-10, 08:41 PM
Really sorry to see Bristol stay down, but Exeter were great. They need to sort out their defence for the Premiership though.

Also, any premiership teams need a winger, because that Robinson guy looked great.

Getofmeland
26-05-10, 08:41 PM
Can't wait! Exeter is only an Hour and half down the road... so looks like I will be hopping along to a couple of games if I can!

abovetheundercroft
27-05-10, 01:03 PM
Anyone who says the system is flawed everyone knew the rules. Of the 4 matches between Exeter and Bristol this season Exe have won 3. Two of them at the Mem! The major difference between the teams in the league being bonus points.

As a Chiefs supporter I cant get the smile off my face today, its been 10 long years of waiting and well worth it, it shows that ring fencing is rubbish (and I will stick to that line even if we go down again) because it shows with careful planning and determination you can break into the big time which can only make English rugby stronger, watch out for teams like the Pirates, they are Cornish, but they will look at this and they have started planning themselves already.

That said I have worries for the future, the RFU see us as upstart troublemakers, I dont see that changing so we cant expect any help from that direction. We dont have anything near the buying power of the big teams, and I doubt big name sponsors will be too keen on a team that they expect to lose every match and go down. Most of the good players have already been snapped up, our squad are great guys but it needs massive strengthening to reach prem standards.

Things to watch out for next year:
Steenson- youve seen what his boot can do, needs to work on marshalling and decision making with ball in hand. Danny Gray is better at that but cant kick for toffee
Our forwards are great but can get carried away and make silly handling errors
Chiefs dont do the cold. Any sub-tropical temperatures and we struggle. Our losing streak in Dec/Jan is emblamatic of that and cost us the top of the league.
'the tribe' supporters- you'll hear us coming...

All in all tho I cant wait 'Come on Exe!'

snoopy snoopy dog dog
27-05-10, 01:33 PM
Most of the good players have already been snapped up, our squad are great guys but it needs massive strengthening to reach prem standards.'
Who have Exeter signed? I've read that they've picked up Ryan Davis from Bath but is anyone else lined up?

TRF_SelimNiai
27-05-10, 04:24 PM
Last night was the worst I have felt in my may years of supporting my team, fact of the matter was we bottled it. Exeter obviousy wanted it more and, deservedly, won the game and good luck to them next year.

As for us we were naff, we tried to play too fancily. I was constantly shouting at us to play simple rugby, thats what Exeter were doing and it worked, we played as if it was a normal league game and it bit us hard on the keister. Heads will roll after this.

abovetheundercroft
28-05-10, 08:36 AM
Signings for the Chiefs: Andrew Higgins from Bath is all I've seen confirmed.

nickurat
29-05-10, 05:02 AM
I got soaked in that rain but it was worth it. The entertainment value (that's what it's about after all) wasn't a fluke, I saw the Chiefs at Welford Road playing Notts earlier in the season and that was also a good spectacle. I do worry that Exe were naive in the first leg and that will be severly punished by the more street wise GP teams next season, they pushed the offside at the ruck to the limit in the second leg but I see that all the time in the current game.

Apart from a few grumpy old men who seemed to think that they only had to turn up to be promoted the Bris crowd were a great bunch and I hope they go back up next season to make it four top flight Westcountry teams in the GP.

Has anyone got a recording of the game? I am desperate to watch it back.

Faatau82
30-05-10, 01:43 PM
I'm really glad to see a south west team in the GP. Exeter have been there or thereabouts for about as long as i can remember when it concerned promotion, and i really glad to see a new face in GP. It will be damn tough, but Leeds have shown it can be done, so i'll be giving the Chiefs my support next season.

Teh Mite
31-05-10, 09:56 AM
Compared to the job Exeter now have to do next season, Leeds survival last year was a cake walk. Whereas last year Worcester never once looked like a team interested in remaining in the top flight, I cannot think of anyone who's going to be a pushover this season (unless Sale and Newcastle both spectacularly implode, of course).

Exe have battles for many years now to achieve what they have, but now is when they'll discover just how difficult a job it is. The hard work hasn't even begun yet.