PDA

View Full Version : Sonny Bill Williams Rejects Toulon offer to chase All Black Dream

M24
05-06-10, 08:25 PM
Sonny Bill Williams has rejected a massive offer from his French rugby club to chase a spot in the All Blacks side for next year's World Cup.

Williams, who has been playing for Toulon since walking out on NRL club the Bulldogs in 2008, will announce an 18-month deal with the NZRU this week, Fairfax has reported.

The 24-year-old has not yet decided which NZ-based Super rugby side he will link with, the report said.

But Williams and his partner both have family in Auckland, the home city of the Blues.

Toulon reportedly tabled a three-year offer to Williams worth $6 million, while the NZRU could only come up with $550,000 per year.

Williams could be playing provincial rugby in NZ within weeks and is eyeing a place in the All Blacks' spring tour squad, which will play a Bledisloe Cup Test against Australia in Hong Kong on October 30.

TRF_Olyy
05-06-10, 08:28 PM
Hmm, bit arrogant of him to think he can just walk straight into the all blacks for the WC, but fair enough, turning down $2mil a year for 550,00 show's he's not in it for the money

TRF_Cymro
05-06-10, 08:31 PM
M24 please provide the source when you are copying and pasting an article!

M24
05-06-10, 08:38 PM
tvnz.co.nz.....nz source

snoopy snoopy dog dog
05-06-10, 08:51 PM
Good on him. That's a fair degree of ambition he's shown. He'll be 26 when his NZ deal runs out so he'll still be able to command a huge pay packet then. It must have been bloody hard to walk away from Toulon's riches though!

Teh Mite
05-06-10, 10:28 PM
He's never going to get picked in a big game ahead of Nonu, McAlistair or Smith, far to cocky and not nearly as good as the hype suggests.

Still, fair play for having a go.

TRF_Cymro
05-06-10, 10:32 PM
He's never going to get picked in a big game ahead of Nonu, McAlistair or Smith, far to cocky and not nearly as good as the hype suggests.

Still, fair play for having a go.

I dunno ... he has been pretty good for Toloun. He offers something different. In the end he will probably be capped but against the likes of Fiji and Samoa.

MunsterMan
05-06-10, 10:33 PM
I don't care about his attitude, he is a ridiculously talented player. Power and pace to go past any man with great hands and just a general unpredictable nature which makes me a fan of his. After a good S14 I can easily see him playing for the AB's in a world cup.

munstermuffin
06-06-10, 12:23 AM
I think he has a great chance of getting into the All Blacks team and well if we're honest Nonu is really battering ram, McAllister is playing poorly and well I think the 2 centre spots are up for grabs in the All Blacks team and if Williams produces what he did for Toulon then he'll earn that shirt.

Teh Mite
06-06-10, 12:29 AM
He'll get obliterated in test rugby unless he starts using his support and carrying the ball with 2 hands. I won't even start on the cocky 1 handed passing.

Or he'll last 15 minutes before his first red card if he doesn't learn how to tackle properly (when he actually makes one before the ball is gone).

Iron Mike
06-06-10, 12:44 AM
Hmm, bit arrogant of him to think he can just walk straight into the all blacks for the WC, but fair enough, turning down $2mil a year for 550,00 show's he's not in it for the money

You're kidding right? You know Richie Mccaw doesn't even make that? It proves he is all about money. That is massive for playing in New Zealand. The average gets about $90,000, this includes playing in the NPC. The better players in better unions get payed more. Being an All Black brings in an extra $50,000 or so, the average All Black earns close to $200,000.

Can't wait till he proves all you wrong, he is so overrated it isn't funny. I hope I am wrong about him because then we will win the World Cup as everyone is hyping him up to that standard (Lomu like). I doubt I am though, from what I've seen of him, he is really getting a shocking wake up call and so is New Zealand if you believe the hype.

TRF_Cymro
06-06-10, 12:58 AM
You're kidding right? You know Richie Mccaw doesn't even make that? It proves he is all about money. That is massive for playing in New Zealand. The average gets about $90,000, this includes playing in the NPC. The better players in better unions get payed more. Being an All Black brings in an extra $50,000 or so, the average All Black earns close to $200,000.

Can't wait till he proves all you wrong, he is so overrated it isn't funny. I hope I am wrong about him because then we will win the World Cup as everyone is hyping him up to that standard (Lomu like). I doubt I am though, from what I've seen of him, he is really getting a shocking wake up call and so is New Zealand if you believe the hype.

How much of his rugby at Toloun this year have you watched?

Iron Mike
06-06-10, 01:00 AM
Probably, 10 games?

He carries the ball in one hand most of the time, which is pretty bad, he needs to work on that or he is going to get ****ed. He leaves his ribs open too much and I can just imagine someone like Benson Stanley smashing him and making him look stupid. It has disaster written all over it, European rugby is slow and less physical and he will get a huge wake up when he plays Super 14.

You guys seem to forget playing League is like playing NH rugby, it is all about contact, then contact again. SH rugby is about playing smart rugby, opening up gaps and using your skill set, which is something he doesn't have.

TRF_Cymro
06-06-10, 01:02 AM
Probably, 10 games?

He carries the ball in one hand most of the time, which is pretty bad, he needs to work on that or he is going to get ****ed. He leaves his ribs open too much and I can just imagine someone like Benson Stanley smashing him and making him look stupid. It has disaster written all over it, European rugby is slow and less physical and he will get a huge wake up when he plays Super 14.

He the one hand ball carry is a problem but I reckon that will be sorted. I think you are underestimating his strength and speed. Of what I have seen he can bounce tackles and can beat a man for pace. He has superb fitness to. Be interesting to see how he gets on down under. But I do think he will be a success at S15 level.

EDIT: Disagree with NH rugby being liked RL. I have seen many a S14 game where its contact, contact and more contact. the same is for NH rugby. I think the statement is a bit of a poor one to be fair. It also leads me to believe that you have watched little of SBW. I go back to the Amlin Final where he cut up the Blues defence at times because he had the skill / speed and strength to fool the defence.

TRF_nickdnz
06-06-10, 01:03 AM
Sonny Bill Williams has rejected a massive offer from his French rugby club to chase a spot in the All Blacks side for next year's World Cup.

Williams, who has been playing for Toulon since walking out on NRL club the Bulldogs in 2008, will announce an 18-month deal with the NZRU this week, Fairfax has reported.

The 24-year-old has not yet decided which NZ-based Super rugby side he will link with, the report said.

But Williams and his partner both have family in Auckland, the home city of the Blues.

Toulon reportedly tabled a three-year offer to Williams worth $6 million, while the NZRU could only come up with $550,000 per year.

Williams could be playing provincial rugby in NZ within weeks and is eyeing a place in the All Blacks' spring tour squad, which will play a Bledisloe Cup Test against Australia in Hong Kong on October 30.
http://nz.sports.yahoo.com/rugby/news/article/-/7352398/williams-chasing-blacks-dream

To keep the lawyers at rest.

Sonny Bill Williams will return to New Zealand rugby next month, giving up a record contract at French club Toulon in hope of making the All Blacks ahead of next year's World Cup.
The 24-year-old would take up an 18-month contract with the NZRU, but was yet to decide which provincial and Super 15 teams he would play for, the Sydney Morning Herald reported today.
An official announcement would be made this week.
NZRU acting chief executive Neil Sorensen told media two weeks ago an offer had been made to Williams to play rugby in New Zealand from July.
The offer was "appropriate" for his potential, Reuters reported.
"He's not being offered ridiculous money," Sorenson said.
In April, All Blacks coach Graham Henry advised Williams to return to New Zealand this year to stake his claim for a World Cup spot.
Henry said he'd spoken at length to the gifted former Kiwis league international earlier this year as he mulled over his options before his Toulon contract ended this month.
Williams would take a pay cut if he turned his back on offers from Britain and France, and possibly NRL clubs, to return home to chase a Super 14 contract.
He had walked out on a five-year contract with the Canterbury Bulldogs league side in 2008 to join Toulon.
The French club had recently offered him a world-record $6 million, three-year contract, the Sydney Morning Herald reported.
The NZRU was unable to attempt to match Toulon's offer but had given Williams the choice of which teams he would play for, and he was given the option of returning to Europe or the NRL after the World Cup.

http://nz.sports.yahoo.com/rugby/news/article/-/7352324/sonny-return-nz-rugby-aiming-blacks

I agree that he's not going to be the revelation everyone is making him out to be. People put down Nonu, but countries would give anything to have an attacking player like Nonu in their team, and he should obviously start ahead of SBW. I'm please SBW is playing for no other reason than he turned down a great deal of money to be playing for the AB's. If he didn't play for the AB's, I'm sure he would play for France for the RWC 2015. Still, he's only played rugby at any level for 2 years, so we can presume he'll get better. I think he could win a spot on the bench depending how McAlister starts playing, or if Benson Standley doesn't perform this season. One thing that confuses me is how commentators keep saying he will be the first Rugby Union/Rugby League dual international player. What was Mark Ellis?

TRF_Cymro
06-06-10, 01:08 AM
http://nz.sports.yahoo.com/rugby/news/article/-/7352398/williams-chasing-blacks-dream

To keep the lawyers at rest.

http://nz.sports.yahoo.com/rugby/news/article/-/7352324/sonny-return-nz-rugby-aiming-blacks

I agree that he's not going to be the revelation everyone is making him out to be. People put down Nonu, but countries would give anything to have an attacking player like Nonu in their team, and he should obviously start ahead of SBW. I'm please SBW is playing for no other reason than he turned down a great deal of money to be playing for the AB's. If he didn't play for the AB's, I'm sure he would play for France for the RWC 2015. Still, he's only played rugby at any level for 2 years, so we can presume he'll get better. I think he could win a spot on the bench depending how McAlister starts playing, or if Benson Standley doesn't perform this season. One thing that confuses me is how commentators keep saying he will be the first Rugby Union/Rugby League dual international player. What was Mark Ellis?

Would Brad Thorn count? I know he played RL for Australia but surely that does not matter.

Iron Mike
06-06-10, 01:10 AM
He the one hand ball carry is a problem but I reckon that will be sorted. I think you are underestimating his strength and speed. Of what I have seen he can bounce tackles and can beat a man for pace. He has superb fitness to. Be interesting to see how he gets on down under. But I do think he will be a success at S15 level.

EDIT: Disagree with NH rugby being liked RL. I have seen many a S14 game where its contact, contact and more contact. the same is for NH rugby. I think the statement is a bit of a poor one to be fair.

I don't think you realise what a power-house like Nonu is. The fact is, we have the two best centres in the world, Nonu and Smith, no one could break that combo, no one. SBW is going to try and crack it? I see him being at max a bench warmer, but then he will get ****ed off with at how little game time he is getting and go cry back to his Top 14 money making. Nonu and Smith are amazing, they are the most underrated pair in rugby. SBW no matter how good he is will never break into that All Blacks team unless Nonu is injured.

TRF_Cymro
06-06-10, 01:13 AM
I don't think you realise what a power-house like Nonu is. The fact is, we have the two best centres in the world, Nonu and Smith, no one could break that combo, no one. SBW is going to try and crack it? I see him being at max a bench warmer, but then he will get ****ed off with at how little game time he is getting and go cry back to his Top 14 money making. Nonu and Smith are amazing, they are the most underrated pair in rugby. SBW no matter how good he is will never break into that All Blacks team unless Nonu is injured.

Think you may need to go back and read a few things I have said. I have never said he would replace Nonu / Smith because they are amazing, I have never questioned that either. What I have said is that if Nonu is playing poor or need another replacement for a different role then SBW would be a good option. I also think saying Nonu is underrated is like saying Gavin Henson is not orange! I don't see SBW being a problem as being a bench warmer. I sure he knows he will have to work hard to even get a look in to the All Blacks squad and work even harder to make it into a match day 22. He will likely get capped at some stage to show how good or not so good he is.

Iron Mike
06-06-10, 01:23 AM
Think you may need to go back and read a few things I have said. I have never said he would replace Nonu / Smith because they are amazing, I have never questioned that either. What I have said is that if Nonu is playing poor or need another replacement for a different role then SBW would be a good option. I also think saying Nonu is underrated is like saying Gavin Henson is not orange! I don't see SBW being a problem as being a bench warmer. I sure he knows he will have to work hard to even get a look in to the All Blacks squad and work even harder to make it into a match day 22. He will likely get capped at some stage to show how good or not so good he is.

I don't read everything as I'm doing other things, but sorry, I stand corrected. SBW wants to play for the All Blacks, he is coming to New Zealand to do that, and he will leave soon realising he is not good enough because if you really think about it, the All Blacks squad is top notch. Of course he would be a good back up to Nonu with a lot of work, but I doubt he has the patience to do that because he wants to play in the 2011 world cup, I reckon if he looks at it with a realistic attitude, 2015. I wouldn't change a thing about the first XV, the only thing they need is a decent halfback, but Jimmy Cowan is solid and he works. We have backup in every position, it is just we have an injury crisis and that is why we are going with Benson Stanley.

I really honestly just don't see him getting any game time in a fully fit All Blacks team, this is Nonus first injury in a long time for the international season and they have brilliant backup in every position he could potentially play, loosies, wings, fullback and centres.

ranger
06-06-10, 02:28 AM
I have bookmarked this thread so a couple of posters will look foolish once he starts tearing it up in NZ. This guy is an A-Grade athlete, his raw skillset would be among the best in world rugby.I also don't think you guys realise that he played alot of rugby as growing up, he isn't learning from scratch, just remembering. He even captained his auckland rollermills team if i remember correctly.

"SH rugby is about playing smart rugby, opening up gaps and using your skill set, which is something he doesn't have. "
This is the biggest facepalm comment in the thread. Just. Facepalm.

TRF_nickdnz
06-06-10, 04:36 AM
So long as Hosea Gear and Joe Rokocoko are in the RWC, I don't care who the NZRU sign. However if Hosea isn't in the RWC, I will unleash wrath on the NZRU in the shape of a long and strongy worded letter.

TyphoonsRugby
06-06-10, 05:48 AM
Yeah I cant wait for SBW to prove everyone wrong aswell, all these people saying he's overrated and **** is just unfounded. I thought he played excellently for Toulon this year and if he goes to Crusaders he will form a very good combination with DC just like he has already with Wilko. We'll have some very good players in the 12 jersey for the RWC :D

TRF_nickdnz
06-06-10, 06:15 AM
I'd imagine he'll go to Aukland where he has family apparently. As well as the Umaga factor.

I think the Crusaders would be a better long term choice however, as they seem to breed consistancy, something which would be handy in a 2nd 5 with that amount of talent.

TyphoonsRugby
06-06-10, 07:13 AM
Apparently he's interested in Crusaders, mostly because of DC and wanting to play outside him.

TRF_Olyy
06-06-10, 09:27 AM

Competely missing the point,
I didn't say he'll be earning less than anyone else, but merely mentioned he's taking $1.5mil paycut

Also, i think he'll do well. I loved him when he played for the Bulldogs, i don't think he's hit that level in union yet, but he's gettin there.
Also, you said league is just contact contact contact, if anything it's ingrained into you that you don't get tackled ;) You only get 6 tackles before turnover, so taking into contact every time is something you want to avoid

Iron Mike
06-06-10, 11:44 AM
The first few phases of League you have to make quick contact, hit it up, recycle quickly to get the defenders offside. I know my comment before was quite stupid, but I believe to same aspect it is true, it is a generalisation but true of most teams. There is not much creativity because they all follow a game plan and set pieces. Super 14 is different, it does have a game plan but if it doesn't work the players change it a bit, unlike in the North where if the game plan doesn't work they continue to use it because there is no creativity. I'm not trying to start a NH vs SH debate, I like both, but I think SBW is more suited to the North style of play. Lets hope he proves me wrong, because I'd love to win the world cup, I really would. Also, Conrad Smith has said he would like to play outside him, rugbyheaven.co.nz exaggerated the title a bit but here is the article.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/news/3782713/Conrad-Smith-excited-about-Sonny-Bill-pairing

It will be interesting to see what happens, I hope I am wrong, but I'm usually not about these sort've things. You only need to look at Chris Jack and Luke Mcalister to realise what the North does to players.

veux
06-06-10, 12:32 PM
Since when is Nonu one of the best centres in the world. I've never thought he's more than average at what he does.

Iron Mike
06-06-10, 12:59 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eDC1VTpG-qs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R2FR4ntL3FY

TRF_nickdnz
06-06-10, 01:16 PM
Since when is Nonu one of the best centres in the world. I've never thought he's more than average at what he does.

Does anyone break lines better? He's devistating.

Charles
06-06-10, 02:14 PM
Super 14 is different, it does have a game plan but if it doesn't work the players change it a bit, unlike in the North where if the game plan doesn't work they continue to use it because there is no creativity. I'm not trying to start a NH vs SH debate, I like both, but I think SBW is more suited to the North style of play. Lets hope he proves me wrong, because I'd love to win the world cup, I really would. Also, Conrad Smith has said he would like to play outside him, rugbyheaven.co.nz exaggerated the title a bit but here is the article.

It will be interesting to see what happens, I hope I am wrong, but I'm usually not about these sort've things. You only need to look at Chris Jack and Luke Mcalister to realise what the North does to players.

http://www.dembot.net/images/facepalm/homer_facepalm.jpg

Iron Mike
06-06-10, 02:21 PM
You can insult me all you want, but you just have to look at international teams to prove I'm right, where are Ireland, England, France and Scotland sitting in the rankings huh? There is no creativity, the thing with the Boks, Wallabies and the All Blacks is they change it, they get creative and explore all options to win a game, that is what makes them fantastic teams to watch.

TRF_Cymro
06-06-10, 02:28 PM
You can insult me all you want, but you just have to look at international teams to prove I'm right, where are Ireland, England, France and Scotland sitting in the rankings huh? There is no creativity, the thing with the Boks, Wallabies and the All Blacks is they change it, they get creative and explore all options to win a game, that is what makes them fantastic teams to watch.

Yet England seemed to have won a WC in the professional era ... and NZ? ....

Lets not get silly here.

Charles
06-06-10, 02:37 PM

Wrong. SA and NZ . SA relies on forward pack dominance, good defense and a good kicker. If you can negate their foward pack like France did last Autumn then they are ****ed.

Aas for NZ, it is all too apparent as France has shown twice already in the WC (esp in 2007) that when things don't go their way they are incapable of adapting and changing their gameplan.

Try again.

Oh and btw a facepalm is insulting you? I'd thought that someone who posts such comments would be a bit more thick-skinned. Don't dish it out if you can't take it.

iWin
06-06-10, 04:38 PM

Similarly, look at Nick Evans, Brock James, Scott Hamilton and Bruce Reihana, all of whom have thrived and developed in the NH.
Don't generalise, or in 12 months time we'll moan about how SH took away Gareth Delve's ability to tackle.

On topic: I'm sort of glad that SBW is going to New Zealand because he has huge natural talent, even if he's not using it all at the moment.
I doubt he'll start quickly, as Nonu, McAllister, Smith and probably Kahui and some others are ahead of him, but aiming to get in the world cup squad is something that might really make him develop his game.

Teh Mite
06-06-10, 06:45 PM
Why is there always at least 1 idiot who has to turn it into a north v south cock-swinging contest?

Iron Mike
06-06-10, 10:22 PM
Why is there always at least 1 idiot who has to turn it into a north v south cock-swinging contest?

Because theres always an idiot who makes irrelevant comments.

TRF_SelimNiai
06-06-10, 10:32 PM
Don't know much about him, just that he looked good in the Amlin final. Other than that he has a name that should mean he will star in a Dukes of Hazzard film.

TRF_Cymro
06-06-10, 10:50 PM
Because theres always an idiot who makes irrelevant comments.

And stop being a WUM!

Sneaki
07-06-10, 02:15 AM
Would be a huge signing for the AB's. I really hope he doesn't choose to play for Counties though, it's not exactly the best place to develop into a world class rugby player in my opinion.. He'd be better off at Canterbury alongside DC, or even Auckland if he wants to move back here.

TRF_nickdnz
07-06-10, 02:57 AM
I think he'd do well developing at Counties alongside Tana Umaga. Aukland seems to breed inconsistancy in the backs, where as the Crusaders would be very good for him. In my ideal world, he'd play for Counties and sign with the Crusaders. Doubt that'd happen though. I don't know any reference to suggest he wants to play outside Carter though, he seems to want to live in Aukland with family.

Sneaki
07-06-10, 03:51 AM
I think he'd do well developing at Counties alongside Tana Umaga. Aukland seems to breed inconsistancy in the backs, where as the Crusaders would be very good for him. In my ideal world, he'd play for Counties and sign with the Crusaders. Doubt that'd happen though. I don't know any reference to suggest he wants to play outside Carter though, he seems to want to live in Aukland with family.

Oh yeah I had forgotten about Tana coming back, that could be a good option. And even if he doesn't improve greatly with Counties, Henry and Co. will probably pick him for the end of year tour anyway :p. He hasn't said that he wants to play outside DC I don't think, it would just make sense playing outside someone he'd be likely to play outside for the AB's.

Teh Mite
07-06-10, 09:06 AM
That'd be stephen Donald then... He'll never get past the midweek team either.

TRF_nickdnz
07-06-10, 10:37 AM
Speaking of Umaga returning, am I the only one who'd still put him in the AB's, just for giggles? Put him up against Japan and Tonga, add to his already impressive try tally? Like seriously...Even he said it's not totally out of the question...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RHp98ZbkdiA

Iron Mike
07-06-10, 02:59 PM
Man, I love that try in your avatar of CC.

Its not too late for Tana Umaga, Brad Thorn at the age of 35 in the latest AB's fitness test is the fittest and fastest forward. It is never too late, if Tana Umaga has the fitness and the same skillset I could see him being a backup 12 to Nonu for the RWC and probably mentoring other centres like Benson Stanley.

MunsterMan
07-06-10, 04:20 PM
How do they measure the fitness of forwards out of interest?

TRF_Cymro
07-06-10, 04:56 PM
How do they measure the fitness of forwards out of interest?

Most likely a bleep test.

deeboxx1
07-06-10, 06:11 PM
Lets see how he goes he may only get capped against lesser nations but a bet he wont do too bad, he does need to work at stuff tho as does every rugby player, NONU IS IMMENSE to whoever said he was poor, the top 14 is ah pretty decent level n SBW does well in that he'll be ah good aqiusition whoever he goes to, to the person who said RL is contact contact contact th NZ warriors play some immense rugby when they throw the ball about. As for AUS SA NZ being better than SH countries i can only speak for Scotland here but rugby in our country is not the number one sport and teams are constanly finishing due to lack of numbers fundingfrom the SRU at all levels is poor and there isnt enough money in our game for facilities coaches and the oppertunity to develop players, ah few years back when Matt Williams was coach to sack him before they did would bankrupt the SRU, finally the amount of foreigners in our club scene is frightning it is restricting the develpoment of young scottish players. ano that was totally of topic but it answered ah few questions PLUS DIDNT WE BEAT AUSTRALIA IN THE AUTUM 2009!!!

SONNY BILL WILL ROCK SUPER 15, AT INTERNATIONAL LEVEL HE'LL DO OKAY!!

MunsterMan
07-06-10, 08:57 PM
Most likely a bleep test.

Which only measures how long you can run for, not how fit you are. I expect the All Blacks will have some better method.

Teh Mite
07-06-10, 10:44 PM
Errrr... You are aware what a bleep test is?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multi-stage_fitness_test

MunsterMan
07-06-10, 10:53 PM
Yes I am, I have done plenty, and in my experience it is always a 10 stone weed who is last to finish even though there will be huge men who tirelessly tackle and hit rucks for 80 minutes who struggle. An accurate measure of some athletes fitness, not all (such as forwards in Rugby Union) IMO.

TRF_Olyy
07-06-10, 10:53 PM
Yeah, a bleep test and possibly a crossfit types test as well (basically timed circuits in a gym)

Iron Mike
08-06-10, 12:03 AM
Yes I am, I have done plenty, and in my experience it is always a 10 stone weed who is last to finish even though there will be huge men who tirelessly tackle and hit rucks for 80 minutes who struggle. An accurate measure of some athletes fitness, not all (such as forwards in Rugby Union) IMO.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7l7ViExz1S0

That is standard for most international teams and pro clubs. It is what we use at our club.

The agility test, which the forwards don't go through as many poles as the backs.

The 50kg shoulder bag, which you run with, most use a beep test, which the All Blacks use shown in the video.

Then the sprinting.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xPxPd_AiCuw

That is a video of Ulster, using the same techniques in the All Blacks video, but is on a beach and is a pre-season training video.

No gym work is used to test fitness Olyy, treadmills are inaccurate and weights don't test fitness. The 50kg bag during a beep test is the most common.

TRF_nickdnz
08-06-10, 02:48 AM
Well, I know the AB's use beep tests - http://www.allblacks.com/ There's a video of it called "All Blacks Speed Testing".

Haysie
08-06-10, 05:07 AM
The yo-yo test is becoming more favoured than the beep test (which purely measures an athlete's Vo2 Max) amongst High Performance programs though

Iron Mike
08-06-10, 05:59 PM
Haysie is right, they do do the yoyo test aswell now, this is a recent addition.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YEJfe2R-J_g&feature=channel

Conrad Smith was the last one getting into the 19+ with Cruden in second. Pretty cool.

TRF_Olyy
08-06-10, 06:38 PM
I'd never heard of a yo-yo test before now, just googled it, am i right in thinking it's pretty much the same as a bleep test, but at the end of the 40m (20 there/back) of running, you walk/jog for 10m (5 there/back)?

Iron Mike
08-06-10, 09:42 PM
Yeah, so it is non stop running.

TRF_SelimNiai
08-06-10, 09:58 PM
Yeah, so it is non stop running.

I'll pass.

Iron Mike
08-06-10, 10:51 PM
It ain't that bad, it is easier than the normal beep test for me, you get an extra 1-2 seconds if you jog it at a moderate pace, plus all the stopping and starting uses more energy. Go for a three mile run then stop for 10 seconds and see if you want to continue, it ain't easy.

Haysie
09-06-10, 06:05 AM
Yeah I prefer it to the Beep test actually, as it's concentrated effort over a short distance and you can block everything out and just go for it.
Whereas with the beep test you start it thinking "**** this sucks". haha.

TRF_nickdnz
10-06-10, 04:09 PM
Sonny Bill commits to NZ Rugby Union

AAP - June 11, 2010, 1:32 am

http://l.yimg.com/fv/xp/aap/20100610/15/2406387293.jpg?x=250&sig=WgkAfnD.aWiQ2KIfnmDxjg--AAP (http://nz.sports.yahoo.com/rugby/photos/zoom/-/7378632)

Controversial former Canterbury Bulldogs and New Zealand rugby league star Sonny Bill Williams has announced he will commit to the New Zealand Rugby Union in a bid to achieve his dream of representing the All Blacks.

Williams, who has played for French rugby club Toulon in the last two northern hemisphere winters, announced his decision on the Nine Network Footy Show.

The 24-year-old powerhouse, who walked out on his contract with the Bulldogs in mid-2008, said he hadn't yet decided which New Zealand provincial rugby team he would play for.

"I'm going to take up the opportunity to realise a dream and go back to New Zealand and try and aspire to play for the All Blacks," Williams said.

"It's a lot less money than what Europe offers but I just feel that for my immediate playing future this is the best decision for me."

Although he has two seasons of rugby under his belt, Williams didn't declare himself ready to represent the All Blacks.

"I wouldn't say I'm ready to, I'd love to, it would be a dream come true," Williams said.

"But I feel that me putting myself in this position is the first steps towards realising a dream.

"I know there's fierce competition over there to play for the All Blacks and I've definitely got to go back and prove myself first and foremost, that's what first of all I'm looking to do."

Williams was unsure about which province he would represent and said his manager Khoder Nasser was sifting through the options.

"Hopefully I'll have a concrete answer in the next couple of weeks what provincial team I'll be going to.

"I'm definitely excited about first and foremost going to New Zealand and I'm just thankful to the New Zealand Rugby Union and (coach) Graham Henry and (assistant coach) Wayne Smith."

Asked if it was a lifestyle decision, Williams said if that had been the case he would have stayed in France.

"The All Blacks are the biggest sporting brand in the world and the chance to play for them in a competition that's watched by more than four billion people, is something I couldn't let slip through my hands," Williams said.

Williams, who has been tried in both the forwards and backs by Toulon, suggested inside centre would be his preferred position.

"It helped playing alongside (England five-eighth) Jonny Wilkinson, he really gave me a lot of confidence in my game," Williams said.

"It just showed in the last couple of months the way I was playing, how happy I was."

Asked if he would do things differently if he was going to walk out on the Bulldogs now, Williams said "yes".

"I just want to say to all the fans out there that have stuck by me and even before I left, I guess at the time I done what I done.

"My intentions weren't to hurt anyone. Probably the people that I've hurt, I just want you to know that it wasn't intentional."

Williams was looking forward to his second professional boxing bout, against an opponent to be determined, on the undercard of his friend Anthony Mundine's next contest in Brisbane on June 30.

Well, wether everyone likes it or not, SBW has officially announced tonight that he is returning to NZ...
http://nz.sports.yahoo.com/rugby/news/article/-/7378353/sonny-commits-nz-rugby-union

The one thing that will annoy me, is he will be releaced from his contract if he isn't in the RWC squad. If he plays in the RWC, and then leaves back to Toloun, I'll be ******.

Conal
10-06-10, 04:15 PM
watched by 4billion?? so according to him 2 out of every three people in the world watch the all balcks play??

Thingimubob
11-06-10, 06:25 PM
he said 'competition thats watched by 4 billion' so he's on about the World Cup not just the All Blacks. Is that number right for the RWC though? Doubt it.

Feicarsinn
11-06-10, 06:28 PM
I think that's the cumulative figure as well, meaning that if you watch two matches you are counted twice.

Conal
11-06-10, 08:13 PM
must be cuz i doubt 2 out of every three people on the planet sit down to watch rugby

Wally
12-06-10, 02:31 AM
Mate you have proved you are nothing more than a clueless All Black fanboy. The world's two best centres are Nonu and Smith? Are you joking? They weren't even the best players in their position in this year's Super 14. Forget about O'Driscoll, Giteau and Jaque Fourie. If you took off your poo stained glasses once in a while you would realise Sonny Bill Williams is a good player, and has huge potential to be a great one. Nonu is very one dimensional. After watching Williams for the number of years I have I can honestly say, and more importantly unbiasedly say, that for all Nonu brings to the field, Williams has every chance to do it better.

Dizzy
13-07-10, 01:21 AM
Mate you have proved you are nothing more than a clueless All Black fanboy. The world's two best centres are Nonu and Smith? Are you joking? They weren't even the best players in their position in this year's Super 14. Forget about O'Driscoll, Giteau and Jaque Fourie. If you took off your poo stained glasses once in a while you would realise Sonny Bill Williams is a good player, and has huge potential to be a great one. Nonu is very one dimensional. After watching Williams for the number of years I have I can honestly say, and more importantly unbiasedly say, that for all Nonu brings to the field, Williams has every chance to do it better.

I agree with you that Sonny Bill Williams is a great player and has potential to become even greater... but i dont agree with you saying Nonu is one dimensional... When Nonu first burst on to the scene he was one dimensional, all he did was run and bust tackles.. But now, Nonu has developed his game alot and has become a better player all round. He used to be a lazy defender but he has picked up and does give chase for cover defense, He has developed his passing game, from being a greedy "up-the-guts" player to, passing it out to create space. As well as keeping his ability to break tackles and draw in two or three defenders crashing down leaving an overlap if the all blacks retain quick ball.
And he has started to bring a kicking game into his arsenal as well, he has attempted grubber kicks and finished off with tries and has at times had to kick for territory with more than pleasing results..

Amobokoboko
13-07-10, 05:49 AM
Would be great to see SBW in an AB jersey, guy got skills. On the Nonu topic, he has developed his game thru out the years and became a "more complete player"