PDA

View Full Version : Sidhe's Rugby Challenge

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

TRF C A Iversen
14-11-10, 11:36 PM
Rugby Challenge - First Q & A

With the news that SIDHE are bringing us a new rugby game next year, we grabbed a few moments with SIDHE MD Mario Wynands to ask a few questions about the up and coming Rugby Challenge game.

1) Will this be restricted to internationals or is it going to contain
club teams as well?

MW: Rugby Challenge includes both international and club teams.

2) Could you possibly expand on some of the customisation options? For
example, create a player/nation/team?

MW: Our previous sports games have been known for their extensive
customisation options around players, teams, competitions, and the game
experience itself. We'll be providing more details in the future, but
gamers can expect to be able to customise the game significantly if they
choose.

3) Can you confirm which consoles the game is headed to? The three
next gen consoles? Will there be a Wii version? If so, will you look
to use RL3 as a base? Will you be bringing out PSP and DS versions?

MW: Specific platforms will be announced in the future. At this stage we
are only confirming the game is coming to "console and PC".

4) Will the franchise mode incorporate international tournaments and
representative matches?

MW: The gamer will be able to play both representative and international
matches as part of the franchise mode.

5) Do you have an estimated release date? Will this be worldwide or
region by region?

MW: Rugby Challenge will release in the third quarter of 2011. Specific
dates and regions will be announced in the future.

6) Do you have any plans to release the game in the USA?

MW: I am unsure at this stage of specific distribution plans. However, it
is much easier currently to make a title multi region capable, so even if
it turns out the game isn't explicitly distributed in North America people
there should be able to play it on their consoles if they can get hold of a copy from overseas.

A big thanks to Mario for taking the time to answer our questions.

Duckdee
15-11-10, 12:30 PM
MW: I am unsure at this stage of specific distribution plans. However, it
is much easier currently to make a title multi region capable, so even if
it turns out the game isn't explicitly distributed in North America people
there should be able to play it on their consoles if they can get hold of a copy from overseas.
1 billion points for Mario!

candybum
15-11-10, 12:42 PM
Yo not too sure if overseas people can view this, but saw this on Nightline (nz), thought it was very interesting.

Anyways
http://www.3news.co.nz/Game-developer-swaps-league-for-union/tabid/368/articleID/186432/Default.aspx

Looking good Mario.

beerholder
15-11-10, 03:38 PM
it's great that other studios are interested in making rugby union games! Maybe we should sign a petition to make the world cup happen more often, it seems the only thing that drives the studios to make games

Jansi_555
15-11-10, 05:43 PM
I think I am buying Mario's first. . .

Radman
15-11-10, 06:27 PM
And it's going to be on PS3...YES!!!!.:)

Dizzy
15-11-10, 07:10 PM
Man, wouldn't it had been great if HB teamed up with Sidhe... they put all their work together and made one completely superb rugby union game???... if they put all their elements together as one it would be the best game to hit ps3

TRF C A Iversen
15-11-10, 07:48 PM
Here's a crazy thought, but maybe they could both be top quality games for a change? I could live with that. :)

esoj
15-11-10, 09:15 PM
they will hopefully both be different games and I think competition is good for the consumer too. nice little interview a bit more information gathered to add to what has already been announced. more will come over the coming months and next year leading up to the release no doubt

donmcdazzle
15-11-10, 11:13 PM
Great stuff Mario! Seems to be pretty up front with the info he is giving out, I prefer this than the HB guy's giving it the 'possibly' treatment. Customisation is fantastic too, great news. With all the eager beavers out there I'm sure there will be many a classic team created for download.

teachmerookie
17-11-10, 05:29 PM
Found this while having a browse this morning. From a respectable online shopping site in NZ.

http://www.mightyape.co.nz/product/Xbox-360/Rugby-Challenge-2011/9196852/

"Home Entertainment Suppliers Pty Ltd (HES) and Gamewizz Digital Entertainment (GDE) announced today the development of Rugby Challenge for console and PC, by Wellington based games developer Sidhe. The rugby union based title seeks to capture the attention of a growing number of rugby fans around the world.

Rugby Challenge will include the All Blacks, ITM Cup, and Investec Super Rugby amongst other licensed teams and competitions, and will feature multiplayer online play, a multi-year franchise mode, extensive customisation options, and dynamic real-time commentary.

New Zealand Rugby Union Commercial Manager Paul Dalton said they were delighted to be able to put their support behind Rugby Challenge. “We are very excited to be able to now offer fans an authentic gaming experience that includes our key competitions” he said. "

dan the man
17-11-10, 05:55 PM
Ha! thats awesome, although it hasn't been announced whether it's even gonna be on 360 yet...

Dizzy
17-11-10, 07:15 PM
if its not on ps3 or ps2 im gonna be completely gutted

Woldog
18-11-10, 06:47 AM
Already a topic about this....

TRF C A Iversen
18-11-10, 08:27 AM
Already a topic about this....

It's called Another Rugby Game Being Made, and it's not all about which platform release will be on either. It's valid to discuss platform speculation in either thread.

Radman
18-11-10, 08:47 AM
I'm very confident that the game will be on my PS3 come whenever next year.:)

TVH11
18-11-10, 01:17 PM
yep can't wait for this.... as long as HES don't muck up the distribution on this like they have with RLL I'll be happy - Still to receive my copy from Play.com (not Hes's fault but kinda is with my "GAME" situation), ordered it 2 weeks ago, and still no copy :( :( i get the feeling its been lost. The way things are going i'll probs receive RLL when this game gets released..... so i'll be playing union then instead of league (which isn't a bad thing). anyways can't wait for more info/screen for both Rugby 2012 and Rugby Challenge :D

donmcdazzle
18-11-10, 05:27 PM
not releasing it on ps3 would be commercial suicide, you'd have to think they would be doing both x360 and ps3.

Dizzy
18-11-10, 05:29 PM
well 08 was released on ps2 not ps3... that wasn't commercial suicide.

TRF_Draggs
18-11-10, 07:39 PM
well 08 was released on ps2 not ps3... that wasn't commercial suicide.

Which was in 2007.
Most gamers have now switched to PS3 and 360 since then.

I can't see them wanting to release a rugby game on only one console, there is obviously a much bigger market combined.

The "multi-year franchise mode" has already sold me, now we just have to hope for NH licensing.

Hopefully this will pressure HB to look into more features than a core gameplay experience.

Dizzy
18-11-10, 08:14 PM
yeah the franchise mode has sold me as well.. im buffing out 120 for this as soon as it hits stores

Geoff_
18-11-10, 11:41 PM
Hope the gameplay is clean and not as robotic as their other Rugby Titles

eatz
20-11-10, 03:24 AM
any one seen this ? http://rugbychallengegame.com/

dan the man
20-11-10, 04:06 AM
Hmmm... can't see this thread staying open long...

Nate Dizzle
20-11-10, 05:08 AM
haha it actually sounds better than rugby 2012 in some aspects.

Rothrich
20-11-10, 08:14 AM
I've never played a game from Sidhe before. Is there a comparision to be made between Sidhe and HB and say, Fifa and Pro Evo?

On a different note, kudos to Sidhe for already answering questions on their forum. I think they have stolen a march on HB (let's face it, Rugby 2012 was announced way too early).

The big Kangaroo
20-11-10, 09:37 AM
I have been waiting for a rugby game for so long I probally will get both

dobduff11
20-11-10, 10:15 AM
I will pay out for both, but at the moment Rugby challenge has the edge because of their immediate responses on the forum.

Also they have the all blacks and i think the super 14 rights exclusively

Ninja
20-11-10, 08:09 PM
I will pay out for both, but at the moment Rugby challenge has the edge because of their immediate responses on the forum.

Also they have the all blacks and i think the super 14 rights exclusively

It would be a massive blow to HB Studio's if they were definitely exclusive for Sidhe...

sanzar
20-11-10, 08:45 PM
It would be a massive blow to HB Studio's if they were definitely exclusive for Sidhe...

It's not that big a deal really... I think the rugby gaming community is so starved that not having a few licenses will hardly damage its selling prospects. In fact I'd go so far as to say that most rugby fans will likely buy both anyway. I know I will.

Geoff_
20-11-10, 09:57 PM
At the moment Rugby challenge sounds very appealing.. but I would have thought they would have chosen a better name. It sounds like a cheap internet rugby game.

Ninja
20-11-10, 10:36 PM
It's not that big a deal really... I think the rugby gaming community is so starved that not having a few licenses will hardly damage its selling prospects. In fact I'd go so far as to say that most rugby fans will likely buy both anyway. I know I will.

I'm also going to buy both, but I'm thinking in the larger scale... The general consumer who isn't a "big" Rugby fan who would consider buying only 1 of the 2 games around the World Cup moment would more likely choose a game with the All Blacks licensed than not... Since the AB's are the biggest name in Rugby Union... But I guess this would apply more to the SH rather than the NH...

HB Studio's would want to capitalize on the Rugby World Cup moment (which is being held in the All Blacks home of NZ) for sales of Rugby 2012. So without the All Blacks license, it is a big blow for them...

ckell
21-11-10, 01:05 PM
I may give both a play and buy the one which I think is the best.

dobduff11
21-11-10, 04:55 PM
Rugby Challenge has captured the Wallaby licence, "Rugby Challenge will include the All Blacks, Wallabies, ITM Cup, and Super Rugby"
http://rugbychallengegame.com/about/

"extensive customisation options" - This also sounds good and hopefully means we can edit the players and teams to our liking

Dizzy
21-11-10, 05:51 PM
yeah at the moment that sounds really good... im buying both

dan the man
21-11-10, 06:18 PM
Sweet! they've got the Wallabies secure to! All they need now is the Springboks... and maybe the Currie cup and then the Tri-Nations will be complete! this is great news.

I must say that Sidhe is doing a great jib regarding letting us know plenty of information. Really looking forward to this title! (and i actually like the name 'Rugby Challenge')

TVH11
21-11-10, 06:52 PM
Really can't wait for in game screens of both to compare :D :D Only thing with the name is a little confusion with google search results - mixed up with Rugby Challenge 2006 (Ubisoft title) :D can't wait tho :D :D

markshaw
21-11-10, 07:23 PM
Is there such thing as a World Cup licence? If Sidhe have secured the All Blacks could it mean they have that World Cup Licence?

Duckdee
21-11-10, 08:04 PM
There's the RWC logo and the Webb Ellis trophy. Stadia might fall into it, too.

ak47
22-11-10, 04:05 AM
good news, i'm getting both
i think the high rate of info from sidhe is to intercept the attention that HB has been receiving of late.
let them both use every bit of fuel they have to deliver an inferno of a release
oh how i have missed a competitive market
Fifa is only as good as it is because PES is there
NBA games are also unreal becaue 2K and EA push for market share
NFL games - gone to the dogs, with Maddens liscencing monopoliztion
Golf games - gone to the dogs, Tiger games all the same since 2007
make no mistake, competition and choice is the consumers best friend

Kage
22-11-10, 09:43 AM
Yeah I can't not get both of these games.

I wonder which will be the more popular online............................

Dizzy
22-11-10, 07:54 PM
apparently rugby challenge has exclusive licenses of the super rugby, itm cup and the all blacks... that can only mean bad things for rugby 2012

sanzar
23-11-10, 02:12 AM
all it really means is that they'll have to have killer gameplay, and if they do then who cares about the licenses? A modder will come along and fix that within 6 months anyway (as long as HB aren't sill enough to make the game uneditable).

gmoe
23-11-10, 02:13 AM
At the moment Rugby challenge sounds very appealing.. but I would have thought they would have chosen a better name. It sounds like a cheap internet rugby game.

Like Jonah Lomu Rugby 2010?? :D

gmoe
23-11-10, 02:17 AM
good news, i'm getting both
i think the high rate of info from sidhe is to intercept the attention that HB has been receiving of late.
let them both use every bit of fuel they have to deliver an inferno of a release
oh how i have missed a competitive market
Fifa is only as good as it is because PES is there
NBA games are also unreal becaue 2K and EA push for market share
NFL games - gone to the dogs, with Maddens liscencing monopoliztion
Golf games - gone to the dogs, Tiger games all the same since 2007
make no mistake, competition and choice is the consumers best friend

2K has dominated the NBA market, and I think has the clear advantage moving forward.. 2K11 is a piece of beauty and an apt dedication to the G.O.A.T Michael Jordan. Subsequently I think EA have scrapped the "Live" series.

I would like to see 2K take on Madden as Madden and EA are starting to put out COD type installments, where they tweak 1 thing and continue to charge you top dollar for it.

FIFA is one of the greatest comebacks I have seen in next-gen gaming as it looked certain that Pro Evo would take over until FIFA08 came out. Now FIFA sit on top of the pyramid IMO.

Duckdee
23-11-10, 10:44 AM
2K has dominated the NBA market, and I think has the clear advantage moving forward.. 2K11 is a piece of beauty and an apt dedication to the G.O.A.T Michael Jordan. Subsequently I think EA have scrapped the "Live" series.
Live has been re-branded Elite, but EA have cancelled this year's title.

brusselsbarbarian
26-11-10, 01:36 PM
yep can't wait for this.... as long as HES don't muck up the distribution on this like they have with RLL I'll be happy - Still to receive my copy from Play.com (not Hes's fault but kinda is with my "GAME" situation), ordered it 2 weeks ago, and still no copy :( :( i get the feeling its been lost. The way things are going i'll probs receive RLL when this game gets released..... so i'll be playing union then instead of league (which isn't a bad thing). anyways can't wait for more info/screen for both Rugby 2012 and Rugby Challenge :D

I think there's a system within your play.com account where you can tell them if a package hasn't arrived after 2 weeks, same happened to me and i ended up with 2 copies of the same game (although one was a month late.

EDIT: They send the replacement a lot quicker.

mgstommy
26-11-10, 08:40 PM

im with u there im gona get both anyway

ckell
26-11-10, 08:48 PM

I would like to see 2K take on Madden as Madden and EA are starting to put out COD type installments, where they tweak 1 thing and continue to charge you top dollar for it.

FIFA is one of the greatest comebacks I have seen in next-gen gaming as it looked certain that Pro Evo would take over until FIFA08 came out. Now FIFA sit on top of the pyramid IMO.

Unfortunately, EA bought out the exclusive NFL license so 2k can't make NFL games anymore.

alex
26-11-10, 09:35 PM
when does that license run out? i suppose the will renew it, anyway.

TRF C A Iversen
27-11-10, 02:42 PM

I hope one day in the future the NFL, NBA and most of the worlds major sporting associations realise that they can sell the same rights twice for the same price and just not make it exclusive. They can do it. You can sell a tv program to 2 tv networks and it's basically the same thing.

As hard as it is to believe most sporting associations don't set it up this way and this whole exclusivity thing is giving them less than they can get. Why not take two licensing fees?

ckell
27-11-10, 05:20 PM

2013 but EA has the money to renew it.

gmoe
29-11-10, 01:56 AM
Dammit.. Although interesting moves in Congress this year has seen Reebok stripped of its monopoly over the NFL uniforms. Maybe 2K might benefit from challenging EA's monopoly over the NFL Franchises. No doubt the NFL would be keen on seeing two titles on the shelf.

Radman
29-11-10, 03:47 AM
2K if they got the rights to do another NFL game would wipe the floor with EA and yet another EA sports franchise would end up in the toilet.

ak47
29-11-10, 04:34 AM
NFL 2K5 still plays better than Madden 2011
2K nail EA in nearly every sports game there is

lewis1234
07-12-10, 02:05 PM
i'm going to get rugby challenge first without question, based solely on franchise mode
then maybe if rugby 2012 gets a good review ill get it few months later
thanks mario for updating info so quickly (hint HB)

splatgunnz
09-12-10, 06:26 AM
I'm going to get Rugby Challenge first out of the pure fact that you'd be able to play as Jonah Lomu!

sanzar
10-12-10, 03:27 AM
This is good stuff. I'm sure HB will make a great game and I'll definitely buy both, but in terms of the marketing so far Sidhe are just doing a much better job. Gameplay will be key, but the features announced so far make the game very attractive.

Radman
10-12-10, 07:38 AM
Sidhe has made their game very attractive so far with the way they've handled the info release. Will be good to see what HB have up their sleeves to counteract them.

Mario
14-12-10, 10:37 AM
To end some conjecture elsewhere, HES has licensed the All Blacks, ITM Cup, and associated NZ Super Rugby teams from the NZRU exclusively. The NZRU can't license to a third party without permission from HES.

Teh Mite
14-12-10, 10:40 AM
So that's 5 of the S15 teams, but not the rest?

Kage
14-12-10, 01:27 PM
Well thats ends my theory.

Score one for Sidhe!!!

dan the man
14-12-10, 05:13 PM
To end some conjecture elsewhere, HES has licensed the All Blacks, ITM Cup, and associated NZ Super Rugby teams from the NZRU exclusively. The NZRU can't license to a third party without permission from HES.

I read somewhere that the Wallabies were included also... does this mean that they have the Wallaby license, but not exclusive? or did someone just get carried away a bit? :D

Mario
15-12-10, 02:31 AM

My comments were only in relation to the NZRU agreement, so I'm only referencing NZ specific teams.

Mario
15-12-10, 02:32 AM
I read somewhere that the Wallabies were included also... does this mean that they have the Wallaby license, but not exclusive? or did someone just get carried away a bit? :D

Yes, the Wallabies license is also listed in the official FAQ and on the website. The deal done with the ARU is also explicitly exclusive to HES.

Mario
15-12-10, 04:42 AM
I'll also add that the All Blacks, Wallabies, and other international team licenses are not automatically granted with the World Cup license.

ANTHEAD
15-12-10, 05:43 AM
If this game aint released on Amiga 500, I'll be gutted. Lol. Cant wait for rugby challenge, its shaping up to be a great game. All the best Sidhe.

definately getting both rugby games. To me these two games will be as epic as call of duty.

Teh Mite
15-12-10, 07:56 AM
My comments were only in relation to the NZRU agreement, so I'm only referencing NZ specific teams.
Risking sounding rude here: Is that a yes or a no?

Mario
15-12-10, 10:50 AM
Risking sounding rude here: Is that a yes or a no?

The NZRU license grants all NZ related teams exclusively including all NZ based Super Rugby teams. Other competition teams fall under other licensing bodies.

My comments were discussing what the NZRU license specifically grants Rugby Challenge. Other licenses, teams, competitions etc will be announced over time.

Mario
17-12-10, 12:42 AM
A video piece on the studio just went up here http://tvnz.co.nz/media7/s5-e29-video-3973962 (starts after the Wikileaks stuff)

Not much on Rugby Challenge overall, but there is a small snippet of some player likeness and animation motion capture stuff in amongst it.

TVH11
17-12-10, 10:12 AM
Thanks Mario for keep us all up to date. We all greatly appreciate it :D :D Making my xmas and uni work flow in a much happier way :P haha. Can't wait to see the actual players perform those animations... looks great so far :D

Duncher2
17-12-10, 10:22 AM
A video piece on the studio just went up here http://tvnz.co.nz/media7/s5-e29-video-3973962 (starts after the Wikileaks stuff)

Not much on Rugby Challenge overall, but there is a small snippet of some player likeness and animation motion capture stuff in amongst it.

Nice one Mario!!!! good plug for the business. Looks like you guys are doing some nice work there, super excited to see the finished product in another 6-8 months. Keep up the great work and the frequent updates.

dan the man
17-12-10, 06:32 PM
Mean, some of that motion capture stuff looks pretty flash! can't wait to se the player likeness and the motion capture all at the same time :D

theoh80
21-12-10, 09:31 PM

Im pritty sure they have the australian teams aswell, not sure if they are exclusive or not. I know for sure they have the wallibies anyway.

TVH11
21-12-10, 11:48 PM
Now i was extremely bored so started searching the internet and came accross this article announcing the game...
http://www.brainhood.net/2010/11/15/sidhe-rugby-challenge-for-xbox-360-ps3-pc-in-2011/

now I presume theres a huge error with the attached pic, but i hope to god that the pic aint the finished or actually the graphics?? Probs just a huge mistake by the website... it is a blog at the end of the day...

TRF_Olyy
21-12-10, 11:53 PM
Probably Rugby Challenge '06

TVH11
21-12-10, 11:57 PM
Probably Rugby Challenge '06

even rugby challenge had better visuals than that.... i quite liked RC 2006, was really "bright" :P anyways its defo gotta be a mistake, cause they look like early ps2 graphics, even ps1 :O :O hahaha or very very very very very very early stages...

Woldog
21-12-10, 11:59 PM
To be honest If it played well I would play that haha.

CeeJay
22-12-10, 05:24 AM
Well, those graphics certainly are better than ps1/2 but definatley not up to ps3/360 standards. That actually
looks like a screen shot from Rugby Manager 2006 (or whatever year the last one was) I remember it having
nice looking stadiums and poor grass textures like in this shot.

EDIT: Its pro rugby manager 2.

Duckdee
22-12-10, 10:15 AM
Yep, CeeJay's right. The scoreboard gave it away for me.

TVH11, there's no need to be panicking about graphics yet. :)

TVH11
22-12-10, 10:40 AM
hahahaha yer thanks for the replies... i knew that it wouldn't be, cause even the League games were more advanced than that... I'm a proper graphics geek, playing fifa (with all thier likenesses) has really made me a snob!!! ah well i just cant wait for some real juicy news and stuff.... will probs be around 6 nations time i guess. I know HB, how about a 6 nations gift for us, just a Wales vs england Screen capture??? like possibly Henson lining up a kick or somin?? (cause he's of course gonna be back by then :P :P)

CeeJay
03-01-11, 04:00 AM
Where are the screen shots of the game that people are talking about?

Tersia
04-01-11, 11:37 AM
Sounds AWESOME !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mario
04-01-11, 09:23 PM

No screenshots of Rugby Challenge have been released. People were mistaken.

Dizzy
05-01-11, 12:22 AM
some website did an article on rugby challenge and had a screenshot from pro rugby manager

dan the man
05-01-11, 09:44 PM

No screen shots yet... but some pics of the guys at Sidhe working on the game, there are some player models and stadium models but they're not complete

lance2010
22-01-11, 11:01 AM
Rugby Challenge 2011 realease date August 5th approx...http://www.mightyape.co.nz/

Mario
25-01-11, 04:09 AM
Rugby Challenge 2011 realease date August 5th approx...http://www.mightyape.co.nz/

Before this spreads any further, there is no specific official release date set nor has any been communicated to retailers. Any release date you see put forward by retailer before it appears in an offical announcement or on the official website is a pure guess on their part.

lance2010
26-01-11, 07:40 AM
Before this spreads any further, there is no specific official release date set nor has any been communicated to retailers. Any release date you see put forward by retailer before it appears in an offical announcement or on the official website is a pure guess on their part.

Thanks for clearing that up Mario but it can't be too far from that date as the World Cup starts in September...

Mario
26-01-11, 07:58 AM
Thanks for clearing that up Mario but it can't be too far from that date as the World Cup starts in September...

There is no date yet, so who knows how far it will end up being from correct.

feckinglegend
28-01-11, 12:33 AM
Just a thought (no it didn't hurt), if this game doesn't reach projected sales to justify making it annually, could both RL and Rugby Challenge be amalgamated into one big rugby game giving a larger budget, a better base to start off (the up and coming Rugby Challenge) as the physics system should work for both, the player motion capture models would work for both, would it be as simple as programming in a separate rule set??? i think it would increase sales, form a guaranteed franchise and blow HB out of the water with their every 4 years shinanigans. if this is totally ridiculous please don't be rude, if you think it is a good idea... i'd like a job in marketing please, salary negotiable :-)

Teh Mite
28-01-11, 06:55 AM
I thinks that's a retarded idea. It'd be like making low budget versions of Formula 1 and Moto GP then packaging them both in the same box.

feckinglegend
28-01-11, 12:24 PM
I thinks that's a retarded idea. It'd be like making low budget versions of Formula 1 and Moto GP then packaging them both in the same box.
How would you come to that assumption? They would have a larger budget, pay one team for one project, not two separate teams, they form a good platform to work on, every year they make it they would just have to tweak it with a larger combined budget as they would receive greater revenue from sales as both league and union fans would buy it, otherwise all we'd be able to look forward to would be a game every 4 years, take for example FIFA 96 on ps1 up FIFA 01 on ps1, massive improvement, imagine if we got one rugby game every 4 years potentially we'd have to wait 12 or more years before we get a game with a level of gameplay that could be called a proper simulation

TRF_Olyy
28-01-11, 12:26 PM
League and Union are two seperate games, why would you package them together?
Makes no sense in a business sense either, as fans of both will buy both

Teh Mite
28-01-11, 12:34 PM
How would you come to that assumption? They would have a larger budget, pay one team for one project, not two separate teams, they form a good platform to work on, every year they make it they would just have to tweak it with a larger combined budget as they would receive greater revenue from sales as both league and union fans would buy it, otherwise all we'd be able to look forward to would be a game every 4 years, take for example FIFA 96 on ps1 up FIFA 01 on ps1, massive improvement, imagine if we got one rugby game every 4 years potentially we'd have to wait 12 or more years before we get a game with a level of gameplay that could be called a proper simulation

Because the only similar characteristic between Rugby League and Rugby Union is the word "Rugby". Completely different entities played in completely different ways. Don't let a select few successful code-switching players let you believe otherwise.

Anyway, what would happen for an amalgamated project is the overall budget would (at very best) maybe increase by 50% (ish), when the developers have the unenviable task of developing 2 completely different AI mechanics, modified game engines, sets of licenses and marketing methods. It's be the electronic equivalent of a utility back - Jack of all trades, master of none. Think Ian Dowling. Only worse.

lynam1104
28-01-11, 12:39 PM
How is Ian Dowling jack of all trades he only plays wing. TBH Ian Dowling would be worse due to the ugliness factor.

TRF_Olyy
28-01-11, 12:41 PM
How is Ian Dowling jack of all trades he only plays wing.
He plays both codes, but isn't great at either

Teh Mite
28-01-11, 01:00 PM
Was more to point out how it would do something badly. And nobody would want it. Because of the terrible job it'd do.

Just like Ian Dowling.

feckinglegend
28-01-11, 06:41 PM
Imagine rugby 08 without the rucks, perfect rugby league game, I don't imagine it is as complicated as you make out, regarding the budget, only one would need to be marketed meaning more money for licensing, if i game is made every year they would get a long term licensing contract which would free up funds for future development,it would be the only viable way the make it annually, your Ian Dowling reference would be more like a italia 90 FIFA 11 amalgamation

lance2010
28-01-11, 08:03 PM
Imagine rugby 08 without the rucks, perfect rugby league game, I don't imagine it is as complicated as you make out, regarding the budget, only one would need to be marketed meaning more money for licensing, if i game is made every year they would get a long term licensing contract which would free up funds for future development,it would be the only viable way the make it annually, your Ian Dowling reference would be more like a italia 90 FIFA 11 amalgamation

Its a silly idea honestly.Developers would be just wasting their time and ours if they did a game like this...

Feicarsinn
28-01-11, 09:05 PM
I like the way this thread is going. Ian Dowling is bloody useless.

Lbidude7
31-01-11, 12:56 AM
Please be availiable in the USA Please!!!

Radman
31-01-11, 01:35 AM
Please be availiable in the USA Please!!!
If it's on PS3 it will be region free so you might be in luck.

matjam
01-02-11, 12:58 AM
I reckon where going to end up with a rugby game like pro evolution soccer ( good graphics and game play but s**t licensing) and one like FIFA (heaps of licensing, alright game play and graphics). I prefer FIFA. To make this happen the IRB should create something like FIFApro so that the games can get all the major teams and players.

feckinglegend
01-02-11, 01:12 AM
I reckon where going to end up with a rugby game like pro evolution soccer ( good graphics and game play but s**t licensing) and one like FIFA (heaps of licensing, alright game play and graphics). I prefer FIFA. To make this happen the IRB should create something like FIFApro so that the games can get all the major teams and players.

When's the last time you played either?

Fifa kicks ass since '09. I just hope the testers raise issues about the "feel" of the game before it goes into production I rate gameplay over graphics any day

matjam
01-02-11, 01:15 AM
When's the last time you played either?

Fifa kicks ass since '09. I just hope the testers raise issues about the "feel" of the game before it goes into production I rate gameplay over graphics any day

I have FIFA 10 and Pro Evo 10 and I play FIFA 10 because of the licensing and certain gameplay elements are better but I thing Pro Evo had better Graphics and more authentic soccer experience with its gameplay and manager mode is better.

feckinglegend
01-02-11, 01:34 AM
time to upgrade, fifa 2012 is the dogs bo**ox

matjam
01-02-11, 01:41 AM
time to upgrade, fifa 2012 is the dogs bo**ox
Okay?... if you think FIFA 12 exists than you are a fool and you know nothing about FIFA at all now if I have miss understood your post I apologize but maybe you should learn to use a proper sentence. I have chosen not to upgrade as my life doesn't revolve around the Playstation and I cannot be bothered.

feckinglegend
01-02-11, 01:49 AM
Okay?... if you think FIFA 12 exists than you are a fool and you know nothing about FIFA at all now if I have miss understood your post I apologize but maybe you should learn to use a proper sentence. I have chosen not to upgrade as my life doesn't revolve around the Playstation and I cannot be bothered. sorry, typo.. fat fingers, just saying it is better than 2010

matjam
01-02-11, 01:51 AM
Yea usually with each new year the game gets better but it hasn't really had that much of an improvement just some minor tweaks

feckinglegend
01-02-11, 01:53 AM
Yea usually with each new year the game gets better but it hasn't really had that much of an improvement just some minor tweaks
lets hope we get a rugby game every year so they can tweak it

matjam
01-02-11, 01:55 AM
Or redesign it to the fans liking originally

feckinglegend
01-02-11, 01:57 AM
i dont think they would redesign annually as it would cost too much, fingers crossed they they get it close to perfect so all they require is a tweak here and there

Radman
03-02-11, 07:10 AM
Jonah Lomu Mo-cap session pictures.

http://rugbychallengegame.com/2011/02/motion-capture-session-photos/

Mario
03-02-11, 07:36 AM
Some updates -

We have put some photos of the Jonah Lomu motion capture session up on the official website here http://rugbychallengegame.com/2011/02/motion-capture-session-photos/

We also have listed some of the forum member surnames that made it into the commentary list here http://forums.sidheinteractive.com/showthread.php?t=41880 (note: there are tonnes more surnames included, so anything not in this list may still actually be included)

Edit: beaten by Radman. That will teach me to draft a post and then go away from my computer for an hour

Mr Fish
03-02-11, 08:03 AM
Some updates -

We have put some photos of the Jonah Lomu motion capture session up on the official website here http://rugbychallengegame.com/2011/02/motion-capture-session-photos/

We also have listed some of the forum member surnames that made it into the commentary list here http://forums.sidheinteractive.com/showthread.php?t=41880 (note: there are tonnes more surnames included, so anything not in this list may still actually be included)

Edit: beaten by Radman. That will teach me to draft a post and then go away from my computer for an hour

Any chance of getting another last minute name in their Mario...? I though I posted in the thread but it looks like I haven't even signed up :S

Mario
03-02-11, 08:37 AM
Any chance of getting another last minute name in their Mario...?

No chance to add more sorry.

TVH11
03-02-11, 09:25 AM
Some updates -

Hey Mario, you've made my weekend with that post. My surname's there :D :D So now i wait anxiously to hear its pronunciation :P hahaha
Those Lomu mo caps looks good too, tried to squint to see the screen in the background, but its too blurry (crafty work there). I guess our posts haven't been done in vain :D :D Thanks for the updates, keep em coming :D

Rothrich
03-02-11, 01:33 PM
Kudos to Mario for constantly keeping us in the loop. For that reason alone, I really hope your game is better than the one being made by that other lot!

jack6161
05-02-11, 10:16 PM
Can't wait for this game as well as Rugby 2012!

CeeJay
06-02-11, 05:19 AM
Has insant replay been confirmed in this game? By instant replay I mean a proper one that you can pause and watch at your leisure, not an automatic one that most of the time only shows you touching the ball down. This should go withoutsaying in a sports game but none of the league verisons had it, even Rugby League Live didnt (I know, not made by Sidhe) for some strange reason.

On of my favourite sports games of all time, Joe Montanas2 sportstalk football on mega drive had instant replay and commentator that was better than Vossy! They also had a half time show.....better than Maddens!

Mr Fish
06-02-11, 07:01 AM
Dunno if you've thought about this Mario, but one of my most disliked things in RL is that the season stats aren't modified to reflect game lengths, for instance I'd gain far less metres than my opposition teams overall, because I only played for 5 minutes, whereas their stats are calculated based on 80 minute games.

Duckdee
06-02-11, 10:22 AM
On of my favourite sports games of all time, Joe Montanas2 sportstalk football on mega drive had instant replay and commentator that was better than Vossy! They also had a half time show.....better than Maddens!
There was a second? :o I preferred the first to the Madden of the time.

CeeJay
06-02-11, 10:48 AM
Are you sure your not mixing them up!? The first was pretty bad, it had the same field view as madden. Joe Montanas 2 was side view and zoomed in when you ran or threw
the ball revealing some amazing graphics and animationfor its time, infact NFL licenced versions came out in 93 and 94 and went backward respectively, ditching the graphics and animation that made it so good!

Heres the game Im talking about http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yXVz_V3vvho&feature=related

I still have a mega drive hooked up to my Tv and I still play this. I have it on my pc too.

EDIT: I have the original madden too, it or any other version on mega drive had nothing on Joe Montana2.

Milla
06-02-11, 08:56 PM
Hey Mario, you've made my weekend with that post. My surname's there :D :D So now i wait anxiously to hear its pronunciation :P hahaha
Those Lomu mo caps looks good too, tried to squint to see the screen in the background, but its too blurry (crafty work there). I guess our posts haven't been done in vain :D :D Thanks for the updates, keep em coming :D

Those photos should come up in a larger format when you click the thumbnails now :)

Duckdee
07-02-11, 10:15 AM
Are you sure your not mixing them up!? The first was pretty bad, it had the same field view as madden.
I was only about 8 at the time. :)

Mario
11-02-11, 07:34 AM
A little hard to see, but some of the Rugby Challenge player models were debuted at the Super Rugby launch in NZ, and they can be seen towards the end of the below video link. Still some improvements to go, but a glimpse at the progress at least.

http://www.allblacks.com//index.cfm?vars=9370

Mr Fish
11-02-11, 07:45 AM
Nice, looking good

Teh Mite
11-02-11, 09:24 AM
Certainly looks the part so far (from what you can judge with the VHS-quality recording at least!) Will be good to see what they look like in motion.

TRF_Olyy
11-02-11, 09:32 AM
As above, looks good so far

TVH11
11-02-11, 10:13 AM
Agree with everyone really. Can't really see much detail, but they look human which is the main thing. Hope the animations are slicker than RLL (i know its not SIDHE but its the only next gen rugby so far). No point having good graphics if the animations are awful. Saying that the mo cap thats been shown (in a tvnz vid) look quite good. Can't wait to see more.

lance2010
11-02-11, 07:31 PM
Wow Mario those look awesome,im hoping gameplay is even better,thanks for sharing the info with us.I be pre booking this game for sure.

jack6161
11-02-11, 07:46 PM
This looks awesome! This with Rugby 2012 should be a good year, nice to see that the games will be able to compete with each other like PES and Fifa!

lance2010
11-02-11, 07:51 PM
Hey mario the guy said it be here in july on the video is this true?

HarryPeters
15-02-11, 04:21 AM
Was just about to post that, and wondered why noone had picked that up yet.

Milla
15-02-11, 04:32 AM
No release date has been announced yet.

matjam
15-02-11, 04:44 AM
Just saw on Rugby challenge site that the NZ sevens crowd was used for crowd noise. See link below:
http://rugbychallengegame.com/2011/02/sevens-crowd-lends-their-voice/
By the way Milla in the video the guy did say it was to be released in July. So either he's misinformed or you are hiding the estimated release date

Mario
15-02-11, 05:11 AM
By the way Milla in the video the guy did say it was to be released in July. So either he's misinformed or you are hiding the estimated release date

Mighty Ape says August...

matjam
15-02-11, 05:37 AM
awesome. so when can we get some screens and trailers?

Mario
15-02-11, 08:07 AM
so when can we get some screens and trailers?

Unlikely to show anything ingame before April.

TRF C A Iversen
22-02-11, 11:43 AM
All sounding good so far. I'd like to ask Mario this question. With development of this game to date, would you say that your:

A ) Unhappy - Maybe behind schedule or feel that a lot needs to be done.
B )Tentative - Think things are going along okay, not as good as you'd of hoped, but certainly not bad.
C ) Fairly Pleased - Things are meeting your expectations of the development in nearly every way.
D ) Excited - Things have exceeded your expectations of development to this point and unless something goes wrong, your sure you have a great title.

I just want to get a feel how your feeling about it, as you know what you want out of the title and it may help temper peoples expectations to a more fair or realistic level to know a little about what's going on in your head, regarding the title.

Mario
22-02-11, 07:13 PM
Hmmm somewhere along the C to D scale I think. We still have some big and important things to square away, but development is going according to schedule and we are rapidly approaching a point where we can focus on polish. However, we don't want to get ahead of ourselves by trying to crowbar in the kitchen sink, and are making sure right now that everything that needs to be in the game is in there and solid.

We are continuing with our usability testing and exposing the game to consumers and the results have been positive and trending in the right direction, so there is some external validation on my stated position also which is useful for us to have.

matjam
26-02-11, 04:14 AM
Just a question, will sidhe be releasing a demo of rugby challenge and will we be able to look through the game at the different comps and modes? Just so we can decide if we want to buy it or not.

Mario
27-02-11, 04:58 AM
Just a question, will sidhe be releasing a demo of rugby challenge and will we be able to look through the game at the different comps and modes? Just so we can decide if we want to buy it or not.

There is no demo planned at this stage (has there ever been one for a league/union game?).

However, all included licenses will have been disclosed before release.

matjam
27-02-11, 07:16 AM
No there hasn't, but i just thought there may be considering there is now things like playstation store etc where demos are easy to download. Another thing will there be free updates to the team rosters when they become outdated?

candybum
27-02-11, 09:08 AM
There was rugby 2001 and 2004 demo's :)

Giteau
27-02-11, 01:46 PM
Hey Mario, thanx for keeping us so up to date with this game. I'll be sure to throw my cash at you guys for rugby challenge. You guys seem like you know what you're doing, so I'll just add the smallest of suggestions, please do better stat tracking than in previous EA games. Seeing top points/try scorers would add alot of depth to the game.

Mario
27-02-11, 05:15 PM
No there hasn't, but i just thought there may be considering there is now things like playstation store etc where demos are easy to download. Another thing will there be free updates to the team rosters when they become outdated?

That isn't in the plan, but we are doing what we can to make the customisation both extensive and easy.

esoj
27-02-11, 10:29 PM
there was an early pc demo for the first rugby league game sidhe made.

http://www.gpdownloads.co.nz/dl.dyn/Files/3152.html

it is not the norm though, as mentioned there have been a couple for some of the earlier union games but nothing recently.

CeeJay
27-02-11, 11:46 PM
Yeah, Mario proably wants to forget about that demo!

I remember playing that. The player models were just place holders. there heads were just cylinders with generic textures wrapped around them. All the players had weird seams at the wrist knees and elbows.

It was the warriors vs someone.

It was a bizarre demo and left me with very little hope for the game. In the end the game was easliy the best in
the series IMO and a pleasant surprise. I think they just let the cat out of the bag a bit early with that demo. It was there first game though I think. so its understandable.

Mario
28-02-11, 12:36 AM
Yeah, Mario proably wants to forget about that demo!

I remember playing that. The player models were just place holders. there heads were just cylinders with generic textures wrapped around them. All the players had weird seams at the wrist knees and elbows.

It was the warriors vs someone.

It was a bizarre demo and left me with very little hope for the game. In the end the game was easliy the best in
the series IMO and a pleasant surprise. I think they just let the cat out of the bag a bit early with that demo. It was there first game though I think. so its understandable.

Ah yes. I did forget about that.

The situation there was the game had been announced for an end of 2002 release, but the other developer had dropped the ball and the project got pulled from them. We came on board in around September 2002 and in order to appease the NRL and fans HES asked us to create that demo from scratch in 5 weeks. The result was pretty bare bones, but given we only had 5 weeks to do it we were pretty happy with the result.

lance2010
28-02-11, 04:03 AM
Hmmm somewhere along the C to D scale I think. We still have some big and important things to square away, but development is going according to schedule and we are rapidly approaching a point where we can focus on polish. However, we don't want to get ahead of ourselves by trying to crowbar in the kitchen sink, and are making sure right now that everything that needs to be in the game is in there and solid.

We are continuing with our usability testing and exposing the game to consumers and the results have been positive and trending in the right direction, so there is some external validation on my stated position also which is useful for us to have.

Are we not consumers? Do we get a look at some visual images of the game?

Mario
28-02-11, 05:20 AM
Are we not consumers?

Yes.

Do we get a look at some visual images of the game?

Yes, if you sign up for our usability testing program.

Shimon
28-02-11, 05:22 AM
Are we not consumers? Do we get a look at some visual images of the game?
Slightly offtopic; but interesting to see your answer...
If you had to choose the option of having your Rugby game as terrible but make alot of money, or great but make minimal profit which would you choose.

P.S I remember watching a video, I think it was a news segment, regarding sidhe and at the very end he mentioned something about a launch party? As in game launch?

lance2010
28-02-11, 06:43 AM
Yes.

Yes, if you sign up for our usability testing program.

Sorry i misunderstood your statement.

lance2010
28-02-11, 06:48 AM
Slightly offtopic; but interesting to see your answer...
If you had to choose the option of having your Rugby game as terrible but make alot of money, or great but make minimal profit which would you choose.

P.S I remember watching a video, I think it was a news segment, regarding sidhe and at the very end he mentioned something about a launch party? As in game launch?

I wouldn't choose any of them.I would not release a game that i personally thought was terrible why put your name to something that is that bad.

Kage
01-03-11, 08:15 AM
Mario, have you guys ever thought of creating a "making-of" video for one of your Rugby games? I personaaly would love a behind the scenes look at the processes involved in creating a game of my favourites sport(s).

Mario
01-03-11, 03:43 PM
Mario, have you guys ever thought of creating a "making-of" video for one of your Rugby games? I personaaly would love a behind the scenes look at the processes involved in creating a game of my favourites sport(s).

We have multiple making of videos in progress right now.

TVH11
01-03-11, 05:21 PM
woop woop thats good do here. Little bit of Jonah trampling over the poor bugger that has to motion capture the defender; thats what we wanna see :D :D
(I'm sorry i can't remember the guys name you said that "helped" with the jonah motion capture - as in the one that was sent to the ground many a time :P.... I apologise :( :( He's a very brave man anyways, and very lucky to have the honour of being trampled on by the legend :D :D)
Can't wit to see whats in store :D

Mario
02-03-11, 12:55 AM
woop woop thats good do here. Little bit of Jonah trampling over the poor bugger that has to motion capture the defender; thats what we wanna see :D :D
(I'm sorry i can't remember the guys name you said that "helped" with the jonah motion capture - as in the one that was sent to the ground many a time :P.... I apologise :( :( He's a very brave man anyways, and very lucky to have the honour of being trampled on by the legend :D :D)

That was Tyrone, my business partner.

TVH11
02-03-11, 11:26 AM
Lucky Tyrone I'd say :D :D Can't wait to see things develop :D

matjam
04-03-11, 10:24 PM
I know this sounds stupid and it should be a given but is the RWC going to be in the game and who has got the licence for it... will either rugby challenge or Rugby 2012 be the official game for the tournament? And also who will have the rights to the stadium names rather than them being called Auckland, Christchurch etc will there be Eden Park and AMI Stadium?

Mario
05-03-11, 04:16 PM
I know this sounds stupid and it should be a given but is the RWC going to be in the game and who has got the licence for it... will either rugby challenge or Rugby 2012 be the official game for the tournament? And also who will have the rights to the stadium names rather than them being called Auckland, Christchurch etc will there be Eden Park and AMI Stadium?

We will be announcing the full set of licenses included in Rugby Challenge before release, but the NZRU license already announced not only exclusively covers the All Blacks and ITM Cup, but also all NZ stadia exclusively. So yes, Rugby Challenge will include all proper NZ stadium names and every NZ stadium to be used in the RWC.

matjam
05-03-11, 08:58 PM
Thats awesome... I was always annoyed in the old rugby games that the stadiums did not have the official names.

CeeJay
07-03-11, 12:17 AM
It really sucks that HES(if they sought exclusivity) and NZRFU(if they offered it) have ruined
any chance of the All blacks or any NZ stadiums being in Rugby 2012.........and thats probably just
the tip of the iceberg.

You could blame HB studios for not being on the ball quick enough, but then the situation would just be reversed. Its exclusive licenses that are the problem.

matjam
07-03-11, 02:47 AM
It really sucks that HES(if they sought exclusivity) and NZRFU(if they offered it) have ruined
any chance of the All blacks or any NZ stadiums being in Rugby 2012.........and thats probably just
the tip of the iceberg.

You could blame HB studios for not being on the ball quick enough, but then the situation would just be reversed. Its exclusive licenses that are the problem.

Well to be honest the whole reason games aim to get exclusive rights is because they then have a selling point and are one up on the competition, the all blacks will still be in 2012 just called New Zealand or something, who knows it could be that HB has the rights to the RWC or to the Northern hemisphere competition as they did not have too spend money to get exclusive SANZAR licensing.

CeeJay
07-03-11, 05:46 AM
Why dosent the NZRFU and other unions just say no the exclusive licenses, then they get money from everyone and everyone gets a license.
I doubt that HES has thrown any EA sports like figure at them to persuade them. Multiple licenses could potentially be more money for them
more licensed teams for us.

Either way, its not the end of the world. license or not I will be buying 2012 on release day, and RWC will be a rental and a purchase if it
is playble on higher difficulty levels.

Mario
07-03-11, 06:21 AM
Why dosent the NZRFU and other unions just say no the exclusive licenses, then they get money from everyone and everyone gets a license.

Because there is a limited number of people in the market for these licenses and they can get more for an exclusive license.

Lbidude7
09-03-11, 10:27 PM
can we have more info??

Mario
10-03-11, 01:17 AM
can we have more info??

Yes.

TVH11
11-03-11, 03:59 PM
I like that answer ^^^^
Its direct and exactly what we want :D :D All I can say is the less time the game dev's spend on the forums, more time their spending on the game :D :D
Keep up the good work.
In the meantime i'm going to enjoy this weekend's 6 nations matches :D C'mon Wales :D :D

Lbidude7
13-03-11, 05:12 AM
:D can we have more info in the next week?? :DD? any ideas on american anything? stadiums? even though of only one or two that have ever held rugby events? the redbull arena in newark, nj was awesome for the churchill cup!

Mario
13-03-11, 09:20 AM
:D can we have more info in the next week?? :DD? any ideas on american anything? stadiums? even though of only one or two that have ever held rugby events? the redbull arena in newark, nj was awesome for the churchill cup!

We are in the process of pulling together videos and press releases at the moment. No idea on the timing of when they will drop, but it is coming.

Lbidude7
14-03-11, 02:45 AM
yesssss Videos!!! thank youu!!!

Mario
14-03-11, 04:11 AM
yesssss Videos!!! thank youu!!!

I should clarify these are mostly live action "Making Of" videos rather than focusing on ingame content, though we are a lot closer to screenshots and ingame video capture now too.

peks89
21-03-11, 02:26 AM
was jus thinkin about this while i was playing rugby league live..in the next rugby challenge game you guys should include the animation of jonah lomu running over that english winger in the Hong Kong 7s.

Mario
21-03-11, 04:14 AM
was jus thinkin about this while i was playing rugby league live..in the next rugby challenge game you guys should include the animation of jonah lomu running over that english winger in the Hong Kong 7s.

You might be in for a pleasant surprise given some of the stuff we did at the Jonah mocap session.

http://a4.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/167247_10150148477352457_115850937456_8403742_5714 630_n.jpg

gmoe
23-03-11, 12:31 PM
I think this needs to be renamed "Jonah Lomu Rugby 2"

Duckdee
23-03-11, 07:45 PM
If people want to contribute to these threads, without having to sign up at Sidhe, send me a PM of your post, and I'll copy it over:

http://forums.sidheinteractive.com/showthread.php?t=42155
http://forums.sidheinteractive.com/showthread.php?t=42161
http://forums.sidheinteractive.com/showthread.php?t=42150

Shimon
26-03-11, 03:12 PM
I posted this on the HB forum but it would be good to see what the other dev's take on this is:

"What's your take on Player skill vs athlete skill?

As in, say you have a really good video game player, but is controlling a pretty mediocre rugby player. Naturally, the rugby player should do better, I mean is it possible in your game that someone could nail all the kicks with a prop if they nailed down the timing etc, or run the ball with an unatheletic player. Or say it's Russia vs NZ, NZ should win comfortably but previous EA Sports Rugby games made it possible for the exact opposite to happen.

What's the balance you have made so that a player controlling a bad team won't feel too disadvantaged and the same goes for the player versing him with a strong team? "

Asdar
26-03-11, 08:25 PM
I think this needs to be renamed "Jonah Lomu Rugby 2"
totally agree lol

Mario
27-03-11, 07:47 AM
I posted this on the HB forum but it would be good to see what the other dev's take on this is:

"What's your take on Player skill vs athlete skill?

As in, say you have a really good video game player, but is controlling a pretty mediocre rugby player. Naturally, the rugby player should do better, I mean is it possible in your game that someone could nail all the kicks with a prop if they nailed down the timing etc, or run the ball with an unatheletic player. Or say it's Russia vs NZ, NZ should win comfortably but previous EA Sports Rugby games made it possible for the exact opposite to happen.

What's the balance you have made so that a player controlling a bad team won't feel too disadvantaged and the same goes for the player versing him with a strong team? "

Difficult question to answer in forum post. Fundamentally, the player controlling a poorly rated team is going to be disadvantaged against a high rated team in Rugby Challenge. That is the nature of the team ratings. How easily the player of the poorly rated team might overcome their opponent will depend on their relative skill level and the relative team ratings. A poorly rated team in the hands of a skilled player is still going to have the chance to win.

Shimon
28-03-11, 09:09 AM
Do you have a "catchup" feature implemented; where if it's a blow out game, the leading teams begins to miss a few tackles, knock on etc?

stan_stan
29-03-11, 06:32 AM
Do you have a "catchup" feature implemented; where if it's a blow out game, the leading teams begins to miss a few tackles, knock on etc?
Stupid idea. You shouldn't be punished because you're winning.

Shimon
29-03-11, 07:56 AM
Stupid idea. You shouldn't be punished because you're winning.

That's the argument; but if you're terrible at the game controlling the All Blacks versing 50th ranked country and the All blacks are losing 50-0?
Should that be possible given the skill differences in an All Blacks and an semi-professional player?

This is a video game after all, no reason making a game that isn't enjoyable.

stan_stan
29-03-11, 10:18 AM
I pretty much didn't understand anything you just wrote.

Enjoyable to me is being able to use real life strategies and tactics to win. I don't enjoy dropping a ball or missing a tackle because I'm winning. I prefer those mistakes be due to ratings or weather conditions, etc.

Shimon
29-03-11, 12:23 PM
I pretty much didn't understand anything you just wrote.

Enjoyable to me is being able to use real life strategies and tactics to win. I don't enjoy dropping a ball or missing a tackle because I'm winning. I prefer those mistakes be due to ratings or weather conditions, etc.

You really don't have to worry if you're not a sim player.

stan_stan
30-03-11, 12:07 AM
That doesn't make sense either. You're calling me an arcade player because I'd prefer things occurring due to ratings while you want a gimmicky feature that allows losing teams to catch up?

matjam
30-03-11, 04:59 AM
Why don't you guys stop this argument by just saying there should be an OPTION in the game where you can choose to have a catch up feature, where maybe say for example your are the All Blacks and you are destroying South Africa 50 or 60 to 0 your team will fatigue quicker and you will have more handling errors and there will be more turnovers.

Shimon
30-03-11, 07:22 AM
That doesn't make sense either. You're calling me an arcade player because I'd prefer things occurring due to ratings while you want a gimmicky feature that allows losing teams to catch up?

First things first, I never said I wanted this feature, take the time to read my posts and pay the respect I show for you.
I was putting my input on the topic for both sides (sim/arcade).
As suggested by matjam, having the option of making it either an arcade or sim wouldn't work in my opinion; with such a small amount of time and limited budget, surely the devs couldn't make it "truly" arcade or sim?

So my main question you could say is the game leaning towards arcade or sim?

markshaw
30-03-11, 06:05 PM
Its sim matey

Shimon
31-03-11, 02:49 AM
Its sim matey

Thanks, I all needed to hear. It didn't actually mention if it was sim or not on the website as far as I know.

Lbidude7
07-04-11, 11:08 PM
Hey Sidhe, on the rugby challenge website, what stadium is that on the top banner? Kinda looks like the AVIVA in Ireland?

Mario
07-04-11, 11:26 PM
Hey Sidhe, on the rugby challenge website, what stadium is that on the top banner? Kinda looks like the AVIVA in Ireland?

I'm not actually sure. More likely an Australian stadium given what was announced at the time the site went up.

umosay
08-04-11, 11:58 AM
It's ANZ Stadium in Sydney.

Mario
22-04-11, 09:44 AM
Sidhe went on a field trip to test and tune the visuals of Rugby Challenge

http://rugbychallengegame.com/2011/04/testing-and-tuning-the-visuals/

Getofmeland
22-04-11, 11:25 AM
But surely these wouldn't of each had their own input, they would be split over several TV's therefore deterioration of the quality would of been seen?

Did you test it over PS3 or Xbox 360 or both?

Mario
22-04-11, 12:56 PM
But surely these wouldn't of each had their own input, they would be split over several TV's therefore deterioration of the quality would of been seen?

Did you test it over PS3 or Xbox 360 or both?

We used both the splitter and direct feeds over the course of several hours.

We tested across multiple consoles (whatever those may be).

TVH11
22-04-11, 01:09 PM
Well even from far away it already looks better than rll (and i actually like that game). Keep up the good work. Cant wait till we get to the point when we can start really comparing both RC and Rwc11 (respectively). Woop woop

Also still keeling cards close to ur chest eii mario ;D

Sent from my R800i using Tapatalk

nztrip2011
24-04-11, 07:26 PM
I just heard about Rugby Challenge a couple of days ago. I think the cards are held close to the chest because of the competition out there from HB Studios. From a gamer viewpoint, we are truly lucky to have 2 games being created and competing for supremacy. Who will end up on top? I like the comment from the NZ Sidhe development team suggesting that they may not be allowed in the country if the botch this game up. I suggest that that be taken to parliament and a bill be written to those effects. Up the game! :) HB Studios has the luxury of being located in Canada, don't think parliament is going to interfere here unless it was hockey related! Cheers to the Sidhe team for providing the sneak peaks into the game development. What little you provide is still miles more than what we have seen from the competition. Do it right and make us proud ruggers!

monkeypigeon
24-04-11, 07:47 PM
Did anyone see this. Officially licensed European teams, http://twitter.com/#!/sidhenz/status/59931119331721216 .

TRF_Olyy
24-04-11, 07:53 PM
I look forward to playing as Greece and Bosnia & Herzegovina

monkeypigeon
24-04-11, 08:02 PM
I look forward to playing as Greece and Bosnia & Herzegovina

They also mention on their twitter page that there's other league's that they haven't announced yet. So I suspect there may be teams other than just Greece and various Former Yugoslavia teams.

TRF_Olyy
24-04-11, 08:13 PM
Sounds interesting, can't wait to see what they've got

Lbidude7
25-04-11, 10:57 PM
Hey Sidhe a little as to what day this week that press conference is?

Milla
25-04-11, 11:17 PM
Hey Sidhe a little as to what day this week that press conference is?

The announcement will be released once all the appropriate approvals have been received. We can't give a precise date, but rest assured that it will go out as soon as we are able to release it it :)

Mario
25-04-11, 11:34 PM
Also, it is a press release, not a press conference.

Lbidude7
26-04-11, 01:24 AM
The announcement will be released once all the appropriate approvals have been received. We can't give a precise date, but rest assured that it will go out as soon as we are able to release it it :)

Duude the suspense is killing me and probably all of us!

TRF C A Iversen
26-04-11, 01:31 AM
Did anyone see this. Officially licensed European teams, http://twitter.com/#!/sidhenz/status/59931119331721216 .

I would expect that these would be teams of reasonable renown. So in that case, this is only good for their title. Should ensure some interesting developments when competitions and their team licensing is announced.

Milla
26-04-11, 05:27 AM
Duude the suspense is killing me and probably all of us!

I don't know if it's any consolation to you, but I experience the same suspense leading up to our information releases. I love the discussions they bring about. We get a lot from the questions that are raised, criticisms that are tabled, and the levels of excitement generated.

Mr Fish
26-04-11, 06:07 AM
Milla, could you give us any indication of what will be in the press release?

Like will we learn of any new competitions, teams, sponsors etc etc?

Mario
26-04-11, 06:24 AM
Like will we learn of any new competitions, teams, sponsors etc etc?

No.

monkeypigeon
26-04-11, 07:47 AM
No.

NO. So something to do with New Orleans?

Lbidude7
02-05-11, 12:59 AM
so no press release at the end of april?

Milla
02-05-11, 01:11 AM
Indeed. We will get it out as soon as we possibly can, though :)

Lbidude7
02-05-11, 02:30 AM
any chance this week?

Milla
02-05-11, 03:26 AM
Yes, it could be this week. That said, it might not be. We're in suspense too :)

Woldog
02-05-11, 07:20 AM
Milla will I be included in the game?
If so I should no doubt be the best player in the game ;)

Milla
02-05-11, 07:29 AM
Quite possibly.

Woldog
02-05-11, 07:36 AM
Quite possibly.

<3
Can't wait for the game though, thank god someone is putting a game out for PC.

Duckdee
02-05-11, 10:29 AM
I'm in it. :p (Well, my surname was picked to be included. :D)

lucky number 7
02-05-11, 10:36 AM
Where can we find out if we are in it?

Woldog
02-05-11, 10:40 AM
I'm in it. :p (Well, my surname was picked to be included. :D)
I should have submitted mine, they needed some more Russian surnames haha.

Duckdee
02-05-11, 10:45 AM
Where can we find out if we are in it?

These are the names that were taken from forum submissions:

Namu
Ritchie
Reynolds
Ah Chong
Arthur
Fretton
Kulchar
Summerville
Iversen
Graham
Compton
Katsis
Klaasen
Gouder
Negus
Hayne
Owen
Hines
Finlay
Glossop
Widdowson
Hardy
Mulligan
Hamer
Deep
Howze
Cavanough
Fraser
Stathakis
Attard
Fry
Collier
Amohanga
Lameko
Balentine
Bailey
Nuri
Robb

lucky number 7
02-05-11, 10:59 AM
I suppose I will go through another 4 years of playing as Breedt then :(

TVH11
02-05-11, 01:08 PM
These are the names that were taken from forum submissions:

Namu
Ritchie
Reynolds
Ah Chong
Arthur
Fretton
Kulchar
Summerville
Iversen
Graham
Compton
Katsis
Klaasen
Gouder
Negus
Hayne
Owen
Hines
Finlay
Glossop
Widdowson
Hardy
Mulligan
Hamer
Deep
Howze
Cavanough
Fraser
Stathakis
Attard
Fry
Collier
Amohanga
Lameko
Balentine
Bailey
Nuri
Robb

Woop woop thats me in :D :D Now I wait in anticipation to hear its pronunciation :P :P

DuncTheDoodle
02-05-11, 06:46 PM
Oooh, my name's there too. I like having a common-ish name.

I wonder if you can add a sound effect for a first name, too? That would be good, espechially as there's a member of the All Blacks squad with my name. (It's Sonny Bill. No, just kidding, it's Hosea.)

Mario
02-05-11, 09:27 PM

We have over 3,000 names recorded including comon surnames from the key territories.

TVH11
02-05-11, 09:29 PM
Mine aint common, so i'm special ;) ;) Just hope i can give my player a crazy haircut :P

Milla
02-05-11, 09:32 PM
This (http://forums.sidheinteractive.com/showthread.php?t=41605) was the thread where Mario asked for games, and this (http://forums.sidheinteractive.com/showthread.php?t=41880) is the one where definite names were announced. As mentioned, many, many names that aren't in that list will be present in the game :)

lucky number 7
02-05-11, 09:41 PM
Any Breen?

TRF_Draggs
02-05-11, 09:43 PM

I wonder if you can add a sound effect for a first name, too? That would be good, espechially as there's a member of the All Blacks squad with my name. (It's Sonny Bill. No, just kidding, it's Hosea.)

Too many requests, Ma'a.

Mario
03-05-11, 11:47 PM
A behind the scenes look at the development of Rugby Challenge, focusing on researching the visual presentation.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A2Ji-kLB4bo

If you watch right to the very end, you'll learn some "important" new information.

CeeJay
04-05-11, 12:22 AM
Its coming to pc. Nice one.

Milla
04-05-11, 01:06 AM
Yes, that was in the original announcement.

Woldog
04-05-11, 01:27 AM
Might pop down to Wellington from Queensland and see how the games going ;)

CeeJay
04-05-11, 05:57 AM
Whats the important new info then!?

Hopefully the focus on capturing a broadcast will mean that this game has a decent instant replay too.

Sneaki
04-05-11, 06:08 AM
Whats the important new info then!?

Basically that the game is coming to the 360, along with PS3 and PC which we were already aware of.

lynam1104
04-05-11, 09:49 AM
and not the Wii aa many thought.

Mario
10-05-11, 08:03 PM
New news, hot off the presses

SYDNEY, Australia – May 11, 2011 – Home Entertainment Suppliers Pty Ltd (HES) revealed today that seasoned rugby commentators Grant Nisbett and Justin Marshall would join forces to voice upcoming video game Rugby Challenge, in development for the PlayStation®3, Microsoft Xbox 360® and PC, by Wellington-based games developer Sidhe.

“In developing Rugby Challenge, we have reached out to many experts who have lent their experience and talents to the game” said David Robles, Business Development Manager for HES. “Having dynamic commentary voiced by well known professionals like Grant and Justin ensures an authentic and engaging gaming experience”.

“The attention to detail in the commentary has been amazing, and any possible scenario that can happen in the game of rugby has been covered here” said Grant Nisbett, a veteran commentator with over 200 Test Matches under his belt, “The process has been a lot of fun”.

“Being involved in the development of a videogame has been a great, new experience” said seasoned commentator and former All Black, Justin Marshall. “I’m looking forward to the game coming out as from what I have seen, the detail is incredible!”

Rugby Challenge will include the Qantas Wallabies, the All Blacks, ITM Cup, Super Rugby teams, amongst other licensed teams and competitions, and will feature multiplayer online play, a multi-year franchise mode, extensive customisation options, tutorials for the novice player, and dynamic real-time commentary.

Rugby Challenge will release for PS3, 360 and PC in Quarter 3 2011. More information and ongoing updates about the game can be found at the official website http://www.rugbychallengegame.com (http://www.rugbychallengegame.com/)

There is also an associated Making Of video here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=az8d9Md1fTA

dangandan
10-05-11, 08:11 PM
thanks Mario that's great news! keep up the good work, can't wait!

Mario
10-05-11, 08:15 PM
Thanks for the support

lucky number 7
10-05-11, 08:17 PM

There is also an associated Making Of video here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=az8d9Md1fTA

Wow CA Iverson I believe picked up on something Nesbitt said at one game ...ten points to him :p

And Sidhe as well ;)
The Franchise mode seems really appealing to me ..no doubt I will be buying both your game and the HB variant ...

markshaw
10-05-11, 11:08 PM
Mean Nisbo is so much better then any commentators on the the previous games

TRF C A Iversen
11-05-11, 12:38 AM

I'm glad to be correct about something! :D This is very good news for the game, well done Mario and team! Excellent team to have in the game!

Wow CA Iverson I believe picked up on something Nesbitt said at one game ...ten points to him :p

Thanks lucky 7. Nice someone remembered that! :D

markshaw
11-05-11, 01:54 AM
I'm glad to be correct about something! :D This is very good news for the game, well done Mario and team! Excellent team to have in the game!

Thanks lucky 7. Nice someone remembered that! :D

hey bro cant get into youtube, whats in the vid??

Woldog
11-05-11, 02:15 AM
Grant Nisbet and Justin Marshall talking into microphones.

Mario
11-05-11, 02:51 AM

We have it on our Facebook page as well -> www.facebook.com/sidhenz

david0404
11-05-11, 03:55 PM
is it safe to say Tonga are in this game then? i believe i heard Grant commenting on how they needed to win their next game :P

TVH11
11-05-11, 06:56 PM
nice little vid there :D :D :D I think we got what we all wanted, which was more screen time for mario ;) ;)
very much looking forward now :D