PDA

View Full Version : Saints Unbeaten in 2006

saintgoodie
14-01-06, 08:03 PM
Something i dont think anybody would have belived in December but after wins against Bristol Worcester and Bristol again Northampton Saints have turned it round in 2006 and could stay unbeaten in the big relegation battle with leeds next week.

http://www.therugbyforum.com/forum/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/tongue.gif

Btw Hey
http://www.therugbyforum.com/forum/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/tongue.gif

SaintsFan_Webby
14-01-06, 08:07 PM
Nice thought. Doubt it&#39;ll happen, but if they perform in same way in which they destroyed Bristol today, Leeds are in for a torrid time.

Few more Prem wins and relegation worries could be eased slightly.

harrison2468
14-01-06, 08:52 PM
It will be an interesting match when you come down here in the Prem later on in the season. It should be a great match, and as it is near the end of the season, could have significant value, though hopefully not. http://www.therugbyforum.com/forum/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/wink.gif

The Worcester win away was impressive, considering their decent home form.

St Helens RLFC
14-01-06, 09:04 PM
How many times do you guys play each other? http://www.therugbyforum.com/forum/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/blink.gif

harrison2468
14-01-06, 09:06 PM
Originally posted by St Helens RLFC@Jan 14 2006, 09:04 PM
How many times do you guys play each other? http://www.therugbyforum.com/forum/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/blink.gif
Four this season; we were drawn together in the Euro Cup, which involves home and away group games, and we also play each other twice in the GP. It currently stands 2-1 Saints. http://www.therugbyforum.com/forum/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/ph34r.gif

An Tarbh
14-01-06, 09:08 PM
Good thing you weren&#39;t drawn in the Powergen or else you&#39;d really be sick of each other.

BTW welcome saintgoodie http://www.therugbyforum.com/forum/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/biggrin.gif

SaintsFan_Webby
14-01-06, 09:57 PM
Originally posted by An Tarbh@Jan 14 2006, 10:08 PM
Good thing you weren&#39;t drawn in the Powergen or else you&#39;d really be sick of each other.
What makes you think we&#39;re not? http://www.therugbyforum.com/forum/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/wink.gif

Obviously it was a weak Bristol team today, but we still stuck you guys away in style.

First play of the match Hayes gives a short ball to Conteponi, trying to smash straight through Myring, out young 10 playing 12 due to injuries. Myring picks him up and smashes him, we turn the ball over and score. http://www.therugbyforum.com/forum/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/tongue.gif

If only all sides were as generous. Although I suppose Lemi did throw Clarke that interception in the league match. http://www.therugbyforum.com/forum/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/rolleyes.gif

harrison2468
14-01-06, 10:07 PM
http://www.therugbyforum.com/forum/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile.gif You sound like you outplayed us all over the park, so I can have no complaints.

A question though, how did Hayes go? His try vs Sale last week was quality (watch it on Sportal) and this was one of his first starts.

In Contepomi&#39;s defence, he was rusty, not having played for weeks! http://www.therugbyforum.com/forum/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/wink.gif

Saint N Sinner
14-01-06, 10:12 PM
I agree totally SG but, Leeds is in a fortnight. We are down in Italy next week.

But I thorougly enjoyed the game today, and my new saints shirt is STILL lucky http://www.therugbyforum.com/forum/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/tongue.gif

SaintsFan_Webby
15-01-06, 10:52 AM
Originally posted by harrison2468@Jan 14 2006, 11:07 PM
A question though, how did Hayes go? His try vs Sale last week was quality (watch it on Sportal) and this was one of his first starts.
Hayes was totally outclassed by Spencer to be honest. His kicking out of hand was awful, place kicking wasn&#39;t much better, and he called some very predictable moves.

It&#39;s lucky Shaun Perry is staying fit as well, because your reserve 9, Rauluni (sp?) was absolutely shocking. Dreadful service, and generally got bossed by Robinson.

saintgoodie
15-01-06, 11:18 AM
Spencers kicking for us isint great but without him we would be no where

harrison2468
15-01-06, 01:37 PM
Originally posted by SaintsFan_Webby@Jan 15 2006, 10:52 AM
It&#39;s lucky Shaun Perry is staying fit as well, because your reserve 9, Rauluni (sp?) was absolutely shocking. Dreadful service, and generally got bossed by Robinson.
He may get called into the England squad for the 6N though. http://www.therugbyforum.com/forum/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/sad.gif

I&#39;d be happy for him if he did though, as long as he wasn&#39;t on the bench. http://www.therugbyforum.com/forum/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/wink.gif

Thanks for the info about those players, they will have to perform better next week as we we probably be naming the same side for Narbonne at home, and we need 5 points.

Canadian_Rugby_Guy
15-01-06, 01:46 PM
What&#39;s happened to Reihana then if Spencer&#39;s kicking? And if only one team gets relegated from premiership, then Saints i think are pretty safe.

SaintsFan_Webby
15-01-06, 02:47 PM
Originally posted by Canadian_Rugby_Guy@Jan 15 2006, 02:46 PM
What&#39;s happened to Reihana then if Spencer&#39;s kicking?
Reihana still has the kicking duties, and did fine yesterday. During the season however, much as I love him, his goal-kicking hasn&#39;t been up to scratch.

Spencer took a couple in the previous match, slotting one from the touchline, and looked in decent nick. A lot of Saints fans have been calling for him to become first choice kicker, but for some reason they seem reluctant to give them to him.

We now have other options as well though in Kydd and Pritchard.

Saint N Sinner
15-01-06, 10:01 PM
To be fair to Bruce, he only got them kicks because they where in front the bloody posts.

But he has alot of pressure due to captaincy and so on, so bless him, he is trying.

philhirons
10-02-06, 05:37 PM
trying ent bloody good enough , u dont stay in the league by trying

Saint N Sinner
10-02-06, 10:23 PM
trying ent bloody good enough , u dont stay in the league by trying[/b]

Would YOU like to be put under the pressure of kicking for such a good team? With pressure&#39;s over relegation and progress?

philhirons
11-02-06, 10:39 PM
shouldnt be a professional if he cant cope with the pressure

if you cant stand the heat , get out the kitchen

Saint N Sinner
11-02-06, 10:41 PM
shouldnt be a professional if he cant cope with the pressure

if you cant stand the heat , get out the kitchen[/b]

He is proffesional...not all proffesional&#39;s are perfect at everything...look at "king" Carlos...he has a brilliant game then, has a fairly average game...

...It happens...if you can&#39;t deal with it, get out of the nuclear reactor...

philhirons
11-02-06, 10:43 PM
am i asking to much, wanting our first choice kicker to have a better success ratio than 52%

Saint N Sinner
11-02-06, 10:46 PM
am i asking to much, wanting our first choice kicker to have a better success ratio than 52%[/b]

I&#39;m not saying that&#39;s wrong or anything but, I would rather Bruce did his on the pitch duties more proffesionally than his on the T duties...especially as Carlos will be soon kicking at this rate anyway...

philhirons
11-02-06, 10:49 PM
every time he misses a kick we lose 3 points , weve lost nearly all the games weve lost by6 or less and hes always missed at least pens.... his kicking is a liability.

Saint N Sinner
11-02-06, 10:52 PM
every time he misses a kick we lose 3 points , weve lost nearly all the games weve lost by6 or less and hes always missed at least pens.... his kicking is a liability.[/b]

I won&#39;t say your talking bo**ocks there or anything but, maybe he needs more confidence from fans to be able to kick his Saints back into the top 5...

...remember our game plan has been more important than anything...we can&#39;t rely on kicking measly points here and there...

philhirons
11-02-06, 10:53 PM
you mean we can&#39;t rely on bruce kicking measly points here and there ??

hehehe

Saint N Sinner
11-02-06, 10:58 PM
you mean we can&#39;t rely on bruce kicking measly points here and there ??[/b]

I mean we need to think about what the TEAM is doing, not what one player is doing right or wrong...

...His kicking hasn&#39;t been highly helpful up to recent but since we have been going for the try&#39;s we have played really entertaining rugby and we look alot more confident in our game...

philhirons
11-02-06, 11:06 PM
Yes i agree its entertaining getting trys , but were not there to be entertaining...... but hey you never no the odd conversion or pen might be just as entertaining

Saint N Sinner
11-02-06, 11:08 PM
Yes i agree its entertaining getting trys , but were not there to be entertaining...... but hey you never no the odd conversion or pen might be just as entertaining[/b]

You watch rugby to be entertained...to some extnet anywho...

...Rugby is something you enjoy watching, and if its really boring and don&#39;t score enough try&#39;s then we are not going to get anywhere are we?

philhirons
11-02-06, 11:16 PM
his a thought why not scrap conversions and run penalties to save time and bruces dignity

Saint N Sinner
11-02-06, 11:20 PM
his a thought why not scrap conversions and run penalties to save time and bruces dignity[/b]

Then we might aswell change the club name to Northampton&#39;s Barbarians...

Ripper
12-02-06, 12:24 AM
Originally posted by philhirons@Feb 12 2006, 12:16 PM
his a thought why not scrap conversions and run penalties to save time and bruces dignity
Your an idiot.

Unless he&#39;s taught himself to kick since he went to the old folks home, there is no way in hell I would want Spencer doing the Goal Kicking, and thats coming from a person who worships the water he walks on.

Saint N Sinner
12-02-06, 10:15 AM
Unless he&#39;s taught himself to kick since he went to the old folks home, there is no way in hell I would want Spencer doing the Goal Kicking, and thats coming from a person who worships the water he walks on.[/b]

And why&#39;s that?

kaftka
12-02-06, 10:23 AM
Originally posted by Air Ben@Feb 12 2006, 11:15 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE

Unless he&#39;s taught himself to kick since he went to the old folks home, there is no way in hell I would want Spencer doing the Goal Kicking, and thats coming from a person who worships the water he walks on.

And why&#39;s that? [/b][/quote]
Because Spencer is one of the most inconsistent goalkickers to ever leave the shores of New Zealand.

Saint N Sinner
12-02-06, 10:24 AM
Because Spencer is one of the most inconsistent goalkickers to ever leave the shores of New Zealand[/b]

Just because he left NZ.... B)

kaftka
12-02-06, 10:30 AM
Originally posted by Air Ben@Feb 12 2006, 11:24 PM
Because Spencer is one of the most inconsistent goalkickers to ever leave the shores of New Zealand

Just because he left NZ.... B) [/b][/quote]
No, he was inconsistent when he was in New Zealand as well ;)

Bullitt
12-02-06, 10:33 AM
Originally posted by .:kaftka:.+Feb 12 2006, 10:23 AM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-Air Ben@Feb 12 2006, 11:15 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE<div class='quotemain'>

Because Spencer is one of the most inconsistent goalkickers to ever leave the shores of New Zealand. [/b][/quote]
To be honest, he can&#39;t be any more inconsistant than Reihana.

Saint N Sinner
12-02-06, 10:38 AM
Carlos has kicked a few for us, mainly long ranged kicks and more or less slots them everytime...

kaftka
12-02-06, 10:53 AM
Ah... It&#39;s the ones that are right out in front that he bungs. :P

Saint N Sinner
12-02-06, 11:07 AM
Ah... It&#39;s the ones that are right out in front that he bungs[/b]

We have only used him a few times for long distance, which is his speciality by the looks of things...

Bit worried about Bruce and his kicking but would prefer the gameplan to work and not the kicking..

Bullitt
12-02-06, 11:25 AM
Originally posted by Air Ben@Feb 12 2006, 10:38 AM
Carlos has kicked a few for us
Read: 2

loratadine
12-02-06, 02:02 PM
carlos spencer is not the best kicker.

SaintsFan_Webby
12-02-06, 02:08 PM
Originally posted by loratadine@Feb 12 2006, 03:02 PM
carlos spencer is not the best kicker.
Very insightful. <_<

The worst thing is that it has taken us until halfway through the season to realise that Spencer is a better option than Bruce from long distance, due to sheer power.

Could be less of a problem now, with new guys Kydd and Pritchard who can also have a shot at the kicking duties if necessary.

Ripper
12-02-06, 06:23 PM
Originally posted by Air Ben@Feb 12 2006, 11:15 PM

Just watch the England vs NZ test in 2003... come to think of it, any Test from the 2003 AB&#39;s campaign where Spencer did the kicking (Except for the South African test) or any Auckland/Blues games of the 2002 NPC/2003 S12.

Saint N Sinner
12-02-06, 09:24 PM
Phil, Bruce&#39;s kicking got us a valuable draw against Waspies today, now what do YOU have to say about that then :lol:

kaftka
13-02-06, 12:35 AM
Everyone has their days.

Muse_Cubed
13-02-06, 10:27 AM
Apparently Kydd&#39;s meant to be a half decent goal kicker...I hope he is because Reihana&#39;s percentage is only around 60...not great.

Saint N Sinner
13-02-06, 03:04 PM
John clarke is a good kicker also I believe...

Muse_Cubed
13-02-06, 04:03 PM
Really? Never knew that...all I know is that Kydd did used to kick for Sarries before Glen Jackson. I&#39;d like to see some experimentation; Drahm was inconsistent enough but pretty good....it&#39;s unacceptable at the mo. Especially considering how Grayse slotted almost everything in his day...

andy.nico
19-02-06, 03:28 PM
Saints unbeaten?

As are the Mighty Quins!!!! :bravo: :bravo: :bravo: :bravo: :bravo:

B)

Bullitt
19-02-06, 06:19 PM
Well, I don&#39;t know about anyone else, but I think that&#39;s really added to the conversation...

Anyhew;

Originally posted by Muse_Cubed@Feb 13 2006, 04:03 PM
Really?* Never knew that...all I know is that Kydd did used to kick for Sarries before Glen Jackson.* I&#39;d like to see some experimentation; Drahm was inconsistent enough but pretty good....it&#39;s unacceptable at the mo.* Especially considering how Grayse slotted almost everything in his day...
There isn&#39;t going to be another Larry for a long time, considering he was easily the best kicker in the world for nigh-on all of his career. When you get used to that for so long, it puts a hell of a lot of pressure on Reihana to live up to his example, especially as he was never the worlds greatest kicker.

As for JC being a kicker? Who the hell told you that load of codswallop Ben? He&#39;s a fantastic up-and-coming player, but that doesn&#39;t mean he can do everything.

Saint N Sinner
19-02-06, 08:21 PM
Well for a start he played briefly for the wandies (as I remember)...

He can be great a kicking in play, but probably wouldn&#39;t suit the kicking duties...

Ripper
20-02-06, 03:15 AM
Originally posted by Air Ben@Feb 20 2006, 09:21 AM
Well for a start he played briefly for the wandies (as I remember)...

He can be great a kicking in play, but probably wouldn&#39;t suit the kicking duties...
:wall:
Just because he can kick in General Play doesn&#39;t mean he would make a good goal kicker... or even a half decent goal Kicker... or even deserve to be labeled a goal kicker.

SaintsFan_Webby
20-02-06, 08:43 AM
Originally posted by Ripper@Feb 20 2006, 04:15 AM
:wall:

Me too...

Saint N Sinner
20-02-06, 08:59 AM
I meant he played FH/did the kicking duties for the Wandies a few times some time ago.

:huh:

Black-Monday
28-02-06, 10:11 PM
I have to say on the kicking duties of Saints, i would really look for an alternative to bruce. While he looks like a real &#39;tryer&#39;, he never converts those kicks from penalties you need. If any saints were at the boxing day game against sale, sale were very poor and gave away many penalties. Although reihana missed many and this led for the team morale to drop.

However i have to say saints look a very good unit when they have their full complement of players. Lamont, Cohen and Spencer etc..... but these days they are on international duties. So when it comes to the &#39;B&#39; teams clashes, you really need to nail the penalties. Sale have been competent with this, hercus last year and larrachea,courrent and wiggy sharing it this year when hodgy is away. So Sale are towards the top, but saints are not because of the kicking.

I can&#39;t really see spencer to be that bad an experiment, he&#39;s a fly half. Surely he has some kicking skills to talk about.

BM

Bullitt
28-02-06, 11:27 PM
Any Blues fan/Kiwi will tell you that Spencer on his day coul proberbly hit a penalty from under his own posts. However, when it&#39;s his not his day ~(more often than not), he can&#39;t kick a penalty for ****e.

richllew
01-03-06, 09:33 AM
spencers a better kicker than bruce easily