PDA

View Full Version : Jonah Lomu Returns to Videogames in Rugby Challenge

Mario
05-12-10, 07:34 PM
Just announced this morning -

JONAH LOMU RETURNS TO VIDEOGAMES IN RUGBY CHALLENGE

All Blacks Rugby legend lends name, likeness, and expertise to videogame

SYDNEY, Australia – December 6, 2010 – Home Entertainment Suppliers Pty Ltd (HES) announced today that rugby legend Jonah Lomu will appear in the Rugby Challenge console and PC game. The appearance will mark the first time Lomu has appeared in a videogame in over a decade.

“HES is pulling out all the stops to make Rugby Challenge an exciting and memorable experience” said David Robles, Business Development Manager for HES. “Jonah is one of rugby’s greats, and will bring an extra something special to the game”.

In addition to including his name, likeness, and motion in the game, Lomu will also bring his experience and expertise into the development process by working directly with Sidhe, the Wellington based studio behind the game.

“I’m a big fan of videogames and being involved in making Rugby Challenge is a great experience,” said Jonah Lomu.

Rugby Challenge will release for consoles and PC in Q3 2011. More information and ongoing updates about the game can be found at the official website http://www.rugbychallengegame.com (http://www.rugbychallengegame.com/)

esoj
05-12-10, 08:13 PM
lomu in game! rugby challenge just keeps getting better and better.

TRF_Draggs
05-12-10, 08:18 PM
lomu in game! rugby challenge just keeps getting better and better.

Agreed. Sounds like this game will be the next JLR.
JLR '11, perhaps?

Muzzy
05-12-10, 09:05 PM
i hated all the other rugby challenge games so i hope this is better,

The appearance will mark the first time Lomu has appeared in a videogame in over a decade.

ay??? lomu was in EA Sports Rugby 2004

TRF_Ezequiel
05-12-10, 09:14 PM
Does this really mean that there are some classic players in the game? Rugby 08 had a lot of challenges but you played with the same players as the current squads. Would be awesome if they have classic matches to play with the players from that era like EA Sports did with the FIFA World Cup 1998 game (not the Road to the World Cup one, the tournament game itself)

Mario
05-12-10, 09:17 PM
i hated all the other rugby challenge games so i hope this is better

This isn't related to the other Rugby Challenge games.

Mario
05-12-10, 09:18 PM
Does this really mean that there are some classic players in the game? Rugby 08 had a lot of challenges but you played with the same players as the current squads. Would be awesome if they have classic matches to play with the players from that era like EA Sports did with the FIFA World Cup 1998 game (not the Road to the World Cup one, the tournament game itself)

No other announcements on classic teams or players at this stage. But information about the game will keep coming in over the weeks and months.

TRF_woosaah
05-12-10, 10:38 PM
Thanks for that info I just read this on stuff

http://www.stuff.co.nz/technology/blogs/game-junkie/4426764/Jonah-Lomu-makes-a-video-game-return

Great news for Lomu fans, not too excited about this news as I dont really want to play a game with Lomu, he doesnt play (top) rugby any more though he is a bit of a coup for sidhe to get :)

again thanks Mario for keeping us informed.

TRF_Olyy
05-12-10, 11:47 PM
Are the rest of the Marseille team being used? ;)

Teh Mite
06-12-10, 07:53 AM
I assume Tim Rodber and George Greegan will also be included just so it's possible to tackle him.

TRF_nickdnz
06-12-10, 08:46 AM
No other announcements on classic teams or players at this stage. But information about the game will keep coming in over the weeks and months.

Well, I won't jump ahead of myself, but this feature is something that is a huge draw for me. NOTHING I love more than having a squad with the best new and old players, but that's just me. In the previous rugby games, especially EA Rugby 08, my New Zealand team hasn't changed from last year from having Collins, Hayman, Mehrtens, Cullen, Lomu, Umaga, Randell, Thorne, Marshall, Kelleher, Masoe in it. Including these players on some level was great about rugby 08. I was actually getting a little bit gutted that I probably wouldn't play with these names anymore after the two new games were released, but if Lomu is in Rugby Challenge, It's a big draw for me.

Thanks for the information Mario. I know there are many people who love to have the most up to date squads, which I also enjoy, but classic players are equally important for me, if not slightly more so. Won't jump to any further conclusions on who else may be in the game, but I'm delighted to hear Lomu will feature on some level.

Teh Mite
06-12-10, 08:58 AM
Thanks for the information Mario. I know there are many people who love to have the most up to date squads, which I also enjoy, but classic players are equally important for me, if not slightly more so. Won't jump to any further conclusions on who else may be in the game, but I'm delighted to hear Lomu will feature on some level.

If they extended it to classic club sides (e.g. Previous Super 12/14 and HEC winners) alongside the classic international teams, that would prove popular. Won't happen though.

Duckdee
06-12-10, 10:25 AM
*crosses fingers for Rory Underwood*

Teh Mite
06-12-10, 10:35 AM
Only if they also include his mum!

TRF_Ezequiel
06-12-10, 10:54 AM
If they extended it to classic club sides (e.g. Previous Super 12/14 and HEC winners) alongside the classic international teams, that would prove popular. Won't happen though.

It would be nice to play some popular and historical tournaments/finals

1987, 1995 and 1999 World Cup finals for instance. Or like you said, the first ever Super12 final.

TVH11
06-12-10, 12:32 PM
waw waw waw.... SIDHE are really making some huge announcements lately. It would be totally Ace if this goes in the same kinda direction as NBA 2K11 - ala Jordan classic matches. Looks like theres gonna be some serious competition this year with rugby games. I can't wait to see how HB "react" to this (not that they need to react - just mean in general what they have to offer). can't wait till some serious screenshots etc get posted, this is huge news (and I'm welsh :P)

dobduff11
06-12-10, 04:16 PM
TVH11 Thats exactly what I was thinking, NBA 2k11 played on the popularity of Jordan and it seems Sidhe have learnt from that.

I think this game has already announced a load of great features for a first game in a series.

Well done Mario and the guys at sidhe, you have got the right idea.

Can you also get Christian Cullen in the game aswell haha

Gavin
06-12-10, 06:01 PM
Only if they also include his mum!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=59xlLBFXCJk
She could tackle Lomu anyway.

Jabby
06-12-10, 07:03 PM
does anyone know why they havent announced what platforms it will be on yet? can the actually not know yet or is it building anticapation? i've been waiting for a rugby (union) game on the wii for years

Mario
06-12-10, 07:33 PM
does anyone know why they havent announced what platforms it will be on yet?

No, but there is a reason why. We hope to announce platforms in the first few months of next year.

In the mean time, there is some strong speculation and reporting that the game is coming to PS3, 360, and PC.

For now, the closest you have to a rugby union title on Wii is Rugby League 3 for Wii which we released earlier this year. If you pick that up, I'd recommend playing with a Gamecube controller.

TRF_Draggs
06-12-10, 08:19 PM
i hated all the other rugby challenge games so i hope this is better,

ay??? lomu was in EA Sports Rugby 2004

Any in '08 as J. Lamo for Cardiff.
He left in 2006, but '08's rosters are a different story...

markshaw
07-12-10, 12:17 AM
Finally..and he'll actually be good rather then J Lamo

Teh Mite
07-12-10, 07:03 AM
No, but there is a reason why. We hope to announce platforms in the first few months of next year.

In the mean time, there is some strong speculation and reporting that the game is coming to PS3, 360, and PC.

For now, the closest you have to a rugby union title on Wii is Rugby League 3 for Wii which we released earlier this year. If you pick that up, I'd recommend playing with a Gamecube controller.

But only if you completely ignore Rugby League Live on the 360 and PS3.

Radman
07-12-10, 07:27 AM
What game was your avatar in?, that was a class try!. :)

Teh Mite
07-12-10, 07:28 AM
What game was your avatar in?, that was a class try!. :)

England - Australia. Ashtons 2nd!

Radman
07-12-10, 07:41 AM
Well he better not pull any tricks like that outta the bag when/if my bandwagon team Wallaby meets your mob next year.;)

Teh Mite
07-12-10, 08:53 AM
I guess 3 tries in 2 tests against the Aussies ain't a bad record! :p

Mario
07-12-10, 09:57 AM
But only if you completely ignore Rugby League Live on the 360 and PS3.

He was wanting a rugby game on Wii, not PS3 or 360.

TVH11
07-12-10, 01:23 PM
well i'm stoked for this. 1 good thing from this is the fact SIDHE are motion capturing his trademarks etc meaning that there will at least be a hand-off/fend when attacking :D :D best news ever for me. maybe there will be some motion capture on signature "Steps" :D :D (fingers crossed anyways). As long as theres a classic match to trample all over england then i'll be happy :D :D

Jabby
07-12-10, 05:23 PM
...I am not reassured re the Wii :(

Faatau82
07-12-10, 05:33 PM
This is a great signing for Sidhe. As mentioned, 2K got the catch of the year with Michael Jordan, and the game has flown into orbit around another solar system.

If they made a RL game, they could do worse than add Martin Offiah, and iconic players like that. Imagine a scenario mode where you are player locked as players like Rupeni Caucau, Christian Cullen, Jonah Lomu and Matt Dunning. Dunning mode would be funny. It'd be like.. see how many yards you can waddle before the urge to consume a pie distracts you.

TVH11
07-12-10, 06:25 PM
Dunning mode would be funny. It'd be like.. see how many yards you can waddle before the urge to consume a pie distracts you.

Harsh but funny as hell :D :D Hell of a shout tho, i can see this being very much like the 2K NBA (haven't played but reviewers bum it). As i previously said... LOMU trampling over ENGLAND is a must :D :D and probably any other side in world, but Trampling over Mike Catt is a must :D :D

dan the man
07-12-10, 07:03 PM
I'm glad to see Lomu's going to be in the game,
I really hope that he's not available from the start of the game (that he needs to be unlocked somehow) would be great to have a few other Legends of the game...

What would Lomu's stats look like???

STATS-------------------------------ATTRIBUTES
Speed - 94------------------------------Scoring
Acceleration - 91--------------------Tackle Breaker
Agility - 89------------------------------Tackling
Handling - 84
Passing - 86
Kicking - 38
Kicking Power - 81
Goal Kicking - 22
Tackling - 92
Strength - 99
Rucking - 48
Scrummaging - 32
Hooking - 29
Line-outs - 37
Aggression - 98

But his "Tackle Breaking" would have to be unique.
Since this game has all that fancy Physics stuff, having a guy this size with that much strength/speed would be pretty amazing to see...

TRF_Draggs
07-12-10, 08:45 PM
Dunning mode would be funny. It'd be like.. see how many yards you can waddle before the urge to consume a pie distracts you.

Only way to score is with a drop goal...

sjg1983
11-12-10, 07:27 PM
ooohhh that'll be good!!!

CeeJay
13-12-10, 12:00 AM
Im a little late to the party on this, but am glad the we will have two rugby games to
play with come the 2011 world cup.

However, the more money that HES spends on licences, graphics, legends etc the less money they
have for gameplay and in particular the AI which has been the only major shortcoming of ALL of
sidhes current RL titles and no amount of licensed teams and players will keep me playing any of
those.

I look forward to hearing some announcments about gameplay and AI but also know that despite having a larger
budget for this than RL, there is not an endless supply of cash and we can see where the lions share of it is going already.

Mario
13-12-10, 02:50 AM
However, the more money that HES spends on licences, graphics, legends etc the less money they
have for gameplay and in particular the AI which has been the only major shortcoming of ALL of
sidhes current RL titles and no amount of licensed teams and players will keep me playing any of
those.

The budget for licensing is seperate to the budget allocated to us for development. And the budget we have for development is higher than for any RL title we have done previously (and higher than RLL's budget).

CeeJay
13-12-10, 05:41 AM
That is some really good news. I really hope you guys can put something together for hard/legendary that is a tough
challenge and yet stays true to the fundamentals of rubgy.

I look forward to hearing more about the gameplay/AI.

lance2010
13-12-10, 06:52 AM
The budget for licensing is seperate to the budget allocated to us for development. And the budget we have for development is higher than for any RL title we have done previously (and higher than RLL's budget).

I hope the top14 and mangers league are on rugby challenge and the gameplay is more better then that of the rugby league titles that were made,and the button lay out is silimar to that of rugby 08 that H.B studios because 08 button config are so good.Thanks Mario for all the info so far looking forward to more news in the near future.

dan the man
30-12-10, 07:18 PM
That is some really good news. I really hope you guys can put something together for hard/legendary that is a tough
challenge and yet stays true to the fundamentals of rubgy.

I look forward to hearing more about the gameplay/AI.

Couldn't agree more! the difficulty on Rugby 06 was pathetic! Elite was more like a medium... Perhaps having sliders that can enhance CPU defensive awareness and CPU offensive awareness would add to the challenge. that way if the hardest setting isn't enough you can take it up another notch...

dan the man
30-12-10, 07:20 PM
I hope the top14 and mangers league are on rugby challenge and the gameplay is more better then that of the rugby league titles that were made,and the button lay out is silimar to that of rugby 08 that H.B studios because 08 button config are so good.Thanks Mario for all the info so far looking forward to more news in the near future.

Yeah, Rugby has such a different feel to league so i do hope that the gameplay is nothing like League games (not cause it's bad, but it just really wouldn't suit Union)
I also hope that the "side-on-view" is really good to.

peks89
02-01-11, 12:09 AM
tell jonah to make it like his old one from 95.... Jonah lomu rugby!

lance2010
03-01-11, 02:18 AM
I'm glad to see Lomu's going to be in the game,
I really hope that he's not available from the start of the game (that he needs to be unlocked somehow) would be great to have a few other Legends of the game...

What would Lomu's stats look like???

STATS-------------------------------ATTRIBUTES
Speed - 94------------------------------Scoring
Acceleration - 91--------------------Tackle Breaker
Agility - 89------------------------------Tackling
Handling - 84
Passing - 86
Kicking - 38
Kicking Power - 81
Goal Kicking - 22
Tackling - 92
Strength - 99
Rucking - 48
Scrummaging - 32
Hooking - 29
Line-outs - 37
Aggression - 98

But his "Tackle Breaking" would have to be unique.
Since this game has all that fancy Physics stuff, having a guy this size with that much strength/speed would be pretty amazing to see...

92 tackling??? Lomu could do awesome stuff but tackling was not one of them.

TRF_nickdnz
03-01-11, 05:08 AM
92 tackling??? Lomu could do awesome stuff but tackling was not one of them.

Well, I think he means in terms of hits, which he could do some monsters, but I agree he's hardly the guy I would have wanted as the last line of defence.

lance2010
03-01-11, 09:02 AM
Well, I think he means in terms of hits, which he could do some monsters, but I agree he's hardly the guy I would have wanted as the last line of defence.

True that might be what he ment,maybe a special ability like Big-Hit for people like Jonah,Alex Tuilagi who were not great tacklers but could pull off a Mean Smash Them Bro if someone ran into them head on or a wide pass and then they smash the guy over trying to catch the ball.

peks89
04-01-11, 03:10 AM
maybe the 92 tackling is when he runs the ball...he tackles players on the way to the try line?

gmoe
09-06-11, 10:44 AM
Hey Mario,

Will other legends of Rugby be available in this game or just Lomu?

I would personally love if you could put Lomu, Cullen, Eales, Gregan, Fitzpatrick (for example) into a current season similar to how 2K11 allows you to place Jordan and other greats into a season.

Could you comment on this?

amo
24-07-11, 03:56 AM
ahhhh im so happy in this forum..... not so much negativity it feels great.

amo
24-07-11, 04:07 AM
will Jonah Lomu have his fit stats or will he be how he is now?

TRF_nickdnz
24-07-11, 04:10 AM
will Jonah Lomu have his fit stats or will he be how he is now?

It doesn't matter, you can edit stats of players.

Groundhog
24-07-11, 12:41 PM
im just curious as to how he will appear in the game and in what context

MichaelBoard
24-07-11, 05:50 PM
I agree, I'm definitely intrigued as to what his (Lomu) involvement in the game will be.

nato
24-07-11, 06:54 PM
He is going to be a player in the game, also there is a team in a game called sidhe, which are all the members of sidhe making the game put on a rugby team lol.

Wally
24-07-11, 11:32 PM
He is going to be a player in the game, also there is a team in a game called sidhe, which are all the members of sidhe making the game put on a rugby team lol.

Will defiantly make up for them not scoring the South African license.

amo
25-07-11, 06:30 AM
and you can change lomus hair and his weight? to maybe when he was younger... well thanks for answering me.. even though i am a new user. ohhhh and will the sidhe have their female staff on the team too? if not.... thats just sexist...he he he