PDA

View Full Version : Super 14 Trials

Wally
21-01-06, 01:18 AM
The first trial matches of the inaugral Super 14 get under way this weekend. Discuss it all in here.

rugged
21-01-06, 01:41 AM
Originally posted by Wally@Jan 21 2006, 01:18 PM
The first trial matches of the inaugral Super 14 get under way this weekend. Discuss it all in here.
Go Caleb Brown for the Reds.

He's still only 18 and he's on the run on side at wing.

nik
21-01-06, 02:24 AM
these are trial fixtures in the nz and oz

2006 Super 14 warm-up match schedule (kick off times local)

21 January
Highlanders v Crusaders at Queenstown Events Centre, 5.30pm
Blues v Reds at Ballymore, Brisbane, 7.30pm

26 January
Highlanders v Chiefs at Queenstown Events Centre, 6.00pm

27 January
Hurricanes v Brumbies at Memorial Park, Masterton, 5.30pm

28 January
Blues v Waratahs at Central Coast Stadium, Gosford, 7.30pm
Crusaders v Western Force, Olympic Park Stadium, Melbourne, 7.30pm

2 February
Chiefs v Hurricanes at International Stadium, Rotorua, 2.30pm
Blues v Western Force at Eden Park, Auckland, 6.00pm
Highlanders v Reds at Centennial Park, Oamaru, 6:00pm

4 February
Crusaders v Waratahs at Aussie Stadium, Sydney, 7.30pm

The TRUTH
21-01-06, 06:36 AM
Im going to the Western Force v Cheetas match tonight , looks like there's gonna be 20,000+ at the game.

I just found out last night that all of the rookies and bench warmers will be playin tonight and that more than likely all star players will be rested http://www.therugbyforum.com/forum/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/encoler2.gif

Wally
21-01-06, 07:45 AM
Caleb Brown runs the ball like a bloody pirate. I&#39;m more interested in seeing how the other 18 year old winger goes on the opposite side of Australia.

I&#39;m fairly sure Mitchell and Veratau / Tune will be our wingers this season. Brown still has those three plus that Hynes infront of him.

Wally
21-01-06, 12:06 PM
Just got back from Ballymore where the Reds had an entertaining and somewhat comfortable victory over Auckland. I think it was 29 - 14 in the end.

Anyone know how the other trial matches from tonight went?

THE CHIROPRACTOR101
21-01-06, 12:35 PM
all good...auckland had all there babies playing with the exception of tamoepeau and tipoki

i find it kinda strange we have an aussie coaching the auckland franchise(and a bloody good coach)...cant wait to the season actually starts

3weeks!!!! the new era of profootball in the south

umosay
21-01-06, 01:00 PM
Reds always win their pre-season games... always

Reds normally finish with 1 or 2 wins in S12 though http://www.therugbyforum.com/forum/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/tongue.gif

The TRUTH
21-01-06, 02:55 PM
I just got back from the Force game were they lost 19-29

The Force were the better team scoring 3 tries to 2 and chose to throw the ball around instead of taking penalty kicks unlike the cheetas who chose to take pk from anywere.

The force had 19 rookies in there team tonight and all of there wallabies and other starters were rested

The Cheetas used a near full strength squad with 4 or 5 springboks.

The TRUTH
21-01-06, 02:57 PM
Waratahs beat the Brumbies 22-5

Southern man
21-01-06, 10:49 PM
Highlanders beat the Crusaders 21-19 in Queenstown. They were down 19-14 with five to go before Evans made a couple of huge breaks and set up a try. Highlanders try scorers were Roy Kinikinilau, Seilala Mapusua and Toby Morland, while the Crusaders also scored three.

Wally
22-01-06, 01:50 AM
Originally posted by umosay@Jan 22 2006, 01:00 AM

Reds normally finish with 1 or 2 wins in S12 though http://www.therugbyforum.com/forum/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/tongue.gif
Never has that happened. Tenth (last year) was our worst placing, which is two better than the Chiefs&#39; worst I assume.

I don&#39;t have many expectations this season but there was something about the way we played in that first half that hinted that the Reds could be on the way up this year. The 30m punt from Berrick Barnes to Chapman in the corner was pretty insane. This guy is going to be a legend in rugby.

http://network.news.com.au/image/0,10114,5099709,00.jpg

Johansson

http://network.news.com.au/image/0,10114,5099714,00.jpg

Berrick

And this one is for Chiro..

http://network.news.com.au/image/0,10114,5099710,00.jpg

nik
22-01-06, 03:15 AM
hey Wally...do you know what the starting lineup of the blues was?

umosay
22-01-06, 03:55 AM
Originally posted by Wally+Jan 22 2006, 02:50 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Wally @ Jan 22 2006, 02:50 PM)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-umosay@Jan 22 2006, 01:00 AM

Never has that happened. Tenth (last year) was our worst placing, which is two better than the Chiefs&#39; worst I assume.

I don&#39;t have many expectations this season but there was something about the way we played in that first half that hinted that the Reds could be on the way up this year. The 30m punt from Berrick Barnes to Chapman in the corner was pretty insane. This guy is going to be a legend in rugby.
[/b]
Yeah well the last few seasons anyway, i can remember you posting up reds pre-season scores a few times.

Chiefs have finished 4th and 5th the last 2 years so they&#39;re not absolutely pathetic.

Wally
22-01-06, 07:05 AM
Originally posted by nik@Jan 22 2006, 03:15 PM
1. Taumoepeau
2. Dustow
3. Noble
4. Boric
5. Rawlinson
6. Haiu
7. Tamahere
8. Williams
9. Senio
10. Lavea
11. Waqaseduadua
12. Tipoki
13. Atiga
14. Nacewa
15. Ward

Ripper
22-01-06, 07:20 AM
Originally posted by Wally+Jan 22 2006, 08:05 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Wally @ Jan 22 2006, 08:05 PM)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-nik@Jan 22 2006, 03:15 PM
1. Taumoepeau
2. Dustow
3. Noble
4. Boric
5. Rawlinson
6. Haiu
7. Tamahere
8. Williams
9. Senio
10. Lavea
11. Waqaseduadua
12. Tipoki
13. Atiga
14. Nacewa
15. Ward [/b]
That was one **** team.

esoj
22-01-06, 07:57 AM
not the top blues line up by a long way. blues alwyas seem to be average in pre season so nothing to worry about. they are normlly in the top 4 or not far not which cannot be said about the reds. its really hard to say who is in good form because most teams don&#39;t put our their best line up and change from game to game. not long to go though. roll on the super 14

nik
22-01-06, 07:58 AM
Originally posted by Ripper+Jan 22 2006, 07:20 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Ripper @ Jan 22 2006, 07:20 PM)</div>

Originally posted by Wally@Jan 22 2006, 08:05 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-nik@Jan 22 2006, 03:15 PM
1. Taumoepeau
2. Dustow
3. Noble
4. Boric
5. Rawlinson
6. Haiu
7. Tamahere
8. Williams
9. Senio
10. Lavea
11. Waqaseduadua
12. Tipoki
13. Atiga
14. Nacewa
15. Ward
That was one **** team. [/b]
tight 5 is crap...the backline is alrite i guess
was it a full strength reds team or were they also experimenting??

Wally
22-01-06, 08:08 AM
It was just an experimental side. The second half team was pretty crap, and that&#39;s when the Blues put on their points.

THE CHIROPRACTOR101
22-01-06, 10:07 AM
Reds overcome Blues 29-14

22.01.06 1.00pm

BRISBANE - Prize recruit Berrick Barnes made an instant impression as the Queensland Reds held off an inexperienced Blues outfit 29-14 in a scrappy Super 14 trial at Ballymore last night.

First five-eighths Barnes showed signs his high-profile code-switch from the Brisbane Broncos was a win for the Reds with a snappy first-half display which helped the home side to a 22-0 advantage.

It was highlighted by a pin-perfect cross-field kick which found tall No.8 Mitchell Chapman in the in-goal for a slick try in the seventh minute.

But his defence in the backline was far from solid as Ben Atiga ran through him on the way to the Blues&#39; first try midway through the second half.

It sparked a revival by the Auckland-based visitors who could have stolen the year&#39;s opening warm-up if not for three bombed tries out wide.

Queensland closed out the mistake-riddled encounter when reserve back-rower Ole Avei crossed in the dying minutes.

Barnes, 20, is far from guaranteed a Super 14 start at first five-eighths against NSW on February 11 as he competes with Elton Flatley and Julian Huxley for the playmaking role.

Flatley, in his first match in six months, played the last 20 minutes without problem, mixing time at first five-eighths and inside centre.

Huxley seemingly made breaks at will in a short stint in the position before a head gash forced him off.

Coach Jeff Miller&#39;s experiment of playing Huxley at outside centre showed some encouraging signs early in the match when the Reds were at their slickest.

Hugh McMeniman&#39;s move to blind-side flanker also promised better things to come as the young Wallabies lock enjoyed the extra freedom of roaming wider.

Chapman&#39;s two-try display at No.8 was a highlight for the Reds.

Poised to be Mark Connors&#39; second-row partner, Chapman crossed for his second in the 32nd minute when centre Lloyd Johansson delivered a neat off-load close to the line.

Test fullback Chris Latham saved one certain try with a desperate tackle on No.8 Nick Williams on the line and set up one for Queensland with a quick-thinking grubber through for winger Tim Atkinson.

Halfback Sam Cordingley mixed good with bad in his return to the Reds scrum base as passes consistently failed to find the mark.

Queensland&#39;s already-depleted stocks of outside backs took a further hit when winger Peter Hynes limped off with a knee injury.

- AAP

that was a third string side...our npc team would thrash this team,cmon reds shudve blown this squad to bits

doesnt matter its only the trials...

The TRUTH
22-01-06, 10:44 AM
Im glad I got my tickets to the Force fist match against the Brumbies coz that match is sold out and its gonna be HUGE.

Last night i would estimate I saw 10-15,000 western force jerseys, which really impressed me cosidering they cost around $150, and the crowd was more knowledgeable than I expected.

I cant wait till the opening match......the Force is here to stay http://www.therugbyforum.com/forum/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/ok.gif

Wally
22-01-06, 11:14 AM
Originally posted by THE CHIROPRACTOR101@Jan 22 2006, 10:07 PM
Reds overcome Blues 29-14

22.01.06 1.00pm

BRISBANE - Prize recruit Berrick Barnes made an instant impression as the Queensland Reds held off an inexperienced Blues outfit 29-14 in a scrappy Super 14 trial at Ballymore last night.

First five-eighths Barnes showed signs his high-profile code-switch from the Brisbane Broncos was a win for the Reds with a snappy first-half display which helped the home side to a 22-0 advantage.

It was highlighted by a pin-perfect cross-field kick which found tall No.8 Mitchell Chapman in the in-goal for a slick try in the seventh minute.

But his defence in the backline was far from solid as Ben Atiga ran through him on the way to the Blues&#39; first try midway through the second half.

It sparked a revival by the Auckland-based visitors who could have stolen the year&#39;s opening warm-up if not for three bombed tries out wide.

Queensland closed out the mistake-riddled encounter when reserve back-rower Ole Avei crossed in the dying minutes.

Barnes, 20, is far from guaranteed a Super 14 start at first five-eighths against NSW on February 11 as he competes with Elton Flatley and Julian Huxley for the playmaking role.

Flatley, in his first match in six months, played the last 20 minutes without problem, mixing time at first five-eighths and inside centre.

Huxley seemingly made breaks at will in a short stint in the position before a head gash forced him off.

Coach Jeff Miller&#39;s experiment of playing Huxley at outside centre showed some encouraging signs early in the match when the Reds were at their slickest.

Hugh McMeniman&#39;s move to blind-side flanker also promised better things to come as the young Wallabies lock enjoyed the extra freedom of roaming wider.

Chapman&#39;s two-try display at No.8 was a highlight for the Reds.

Poised to be Mark Connors&#39; second-row partner, Chapman crossed for his second in the 32nd minute when centre Lloyd Johansson delivered a neat off-load close to the line.

Test fullback Chris Latham saved one certain try with a desperate tackle on No.8 Nick Williams on the line and set up one for Queensland with a quick-thinking grubber through for winger Tim Atkinson.

Halfback Sam Cordingley mixed good with bad in his return to the Reds scrum base as passes consistently failed to find the mark.

Queensland&#39;s already-depleted stocks of outside backs took a further hit when winger Peter Hynes limped off with a knee injury.

- AAP

that was a third string side...our npc team would thrash this team,cmon reds shudve blown this squad to bits

doesnt matter its only the trials...
If that was third string where were all the second stringers? Clearly it wasn&#39;t your best side, but it wasn&#39;t your third best either. Ours was mixed but we only had our first string players on in the first half when we were carving. The second half saw entirely second stringers, bar Flatley. I like string.

NZL Fan
22-01-06, 07:26 PM
Originally posted by Wally@Jan 22 2006, 11:14 PM
Clearly it wasn&#39;t your best side, but it wasn&#39;t your third best either. Ours was mixed but we only had our first string players on in the first half when we were carving. The second half saw entirely second stringers, bar Flatley. I like string.
Well if you wish to be technical it was a mixture of second and third stringers with the majority being made up of players in the "train on" squad (ie. outside the 28 strong squad).

Hence the majority were third stringers............

Here is the 15 that took the field against the Reds, in bold is the probable first stringer for that position.

1. Saimonie Taumoepeau (Second stringer) Woodcock
2. Roger Dustow (second/third stringer) Mealamu
3. Mike Noble (third stringer) Afoa
4. Anthony Boric (third stringer) Flavell
5. Greg Rawlinson (first/second stringer) Ali Williams
6. Kurtis Haiu (second/third stringer) Angus McDonald
7. Regan Tamahere (third stringer) Daniel Braid
8. Nick Williams (first/second stringer) Nick Williams
9. John Senio (third stringer) Devine
10. Daniel Bowden (third stringer) Lavea
11. Viliame Waqaseduadua (third stringer) Rocketman
12. Rua Tipoki © (second stringer) McAllister
13. Jamie Helleur (third stringer) Atiga/Tuitavake
14. James Somerset (third stringer) Howlett
15. George Pisi (third stringer) Ward

Wally
22-01-06, 11:30 PM
Your wrong and the Reds will win the premiership.

Ripper
23-01-06, 12:29 AM
LMFAO - This isnt AFL you retard.

and I hadn&#39;t even heard of 5 of those players in the Blues starting line up.

esoj
23-01-06, 12:59 AM
well ripper not unexecpted as 10 of them was there first taste of super 14 rugby ever. that defintely was not the best or maybe even second best lineup possible

from nucifora
There were 10 blokes playing for the Blues for the first time.

THE CHIROPRACTOR101
23-01-06, 01:04 AM
Originally posted by Ripper@Jan 23 2006, 12:29 PM

and I hadn&#39;t even heard of 5 of those players in the Blues starting line up.
yeh me neither..and i play for the blues

Wally
23-01-06, 06:34 AM
Originally posted by Ripper@Jan 23 2006, 12:29 PM
It isn&#39;t? Oh God I&#39;ve been wasting my life.

TheDell
24-01-06, 01:26 AM
I was at the Reds vs Blue match too, and I&#39;ts obvious that the reds are wanting to play a different style this season- definitely more willing to kick it about. Also, I saw Ricky Lee there- man she has a fat ass.

random thoughts...

I think Barnes needs more game time. I hope Miller introduces a rotation policy.

Going on current form, I predict Latham to be the S14 player of the year. Man what a tackle!

Where is Steve Kefu and "can&#39;t pass for sh*t* Valentine? Is Tune injury free at the moment?

I saw Nick Stiles in Tokyo recently where he was training. I reckon he should join up with Eddie Jones next season.

Oh and Wally, how bad was the announcer on saturday night. I think I&#39;ll write to the QRU.

All_Blacks_Hurricanes_Lions_Fan
24-01-06, 03:54 AM
I cant wait for the Canes to play the Brumbies on Friday.

rugged
24-01-06, 06:25 AM
Originally posted by Wally@Jan 21 2006, 07:45 PM
Caleb Brown runs the ball like a bloody pirate. I&#39;m more interested in seeing how the other 18 year old winger goes on the opposite side of Australia.

I&#39;m fairly sure Mitchell and Veratau / Tune will be our wingers this season. Brown still has those three plus that Hynes infront of him.
Um, for my edification, how does a pirate run the ball? Obviously he says "aaarrrgh" but what else does it entail?

I don&#39;t know about the Reds having any depth at wing. Tune might not be fit for the start of the season. Hynes won&#39;t. It might be Caleb Brown versus Lote or Wendell. Don&#39;t think it&#39;ll matter too much in attack as the wings won&#39;t see too much ball. Will matter a lot in defence though.

-JJ-
24-01-06, 07:24 AM
Originally posted by rugged+Jan 24 2006, 07:25 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (rugged @ Jan 24 2006, 07:25 PM)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-Wally@Jan 21 2006, 07:45 PM
Um, for my edification, how does a pirate run the ball? Obviously he says "aaarrrgh" but what else does it entail? [/b]
Maybe the pirate he is referring to has a wooden leg, which I&#39;d say might give him some difficulty in running.

Wally
24-01-06, 10:25 AM
Originally posted by TheDell@Jan 24 2006, 01:26 PM
Oh and Wally, how bad was the announcer on saturday night. I think I&#39;ll write to the QRU.
He&#39;ll get the sack for sure. That bloke sounded like he was still fighting off puberty.. and I think he made Waqaseduadua cry.

Wally
24-01-06, 10:27 AM
Originally posted by rugged+Jan 24 2006, 06:25 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (rugged @ Jan 24 2006, 06:25 PM)</div>

Um, for my edification, how does a pirate run the ball? Obviously he says "aaarrrgh" but what else does it entail?

I don&#39;t know about the Reds having any depth at wing. Tune might not be fit for the start of the season. Hynes won&#39;t. It might be Caleb Brown versus Lote or Wendell. Don&#39;t think it&#39;ll matter too much in attack as the wings won&#39;t see too much ball. Will matter a lot in defence though. [/b]
Maybe I&#39;m wrong but he just doesn&#39;t seem to have any pace. Everytime he got the ball he seemed to just come back inside and hit it up.

kaftka
24-01-06, 12:01 PM
Originally posted by JJ-+Jan 24 2006, 07:24 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (-JJ- @ Jan 24 2006, 07:24 PM)</div>

Originally posted by rugged@Jan 24 2006, 07:25 PM
Maybe the pirate he is referring to has a wooden leg, which I&#39;d say might give him some difficulty in running. [/b]
Not to mention the patch over his left eye causing obvious problems. His sword would get in the way as well... Pirates suck.

rugged
25-01-06, 09:29 AM
Originally posted by Wally+Jan 24 2006, 10:27 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Wally @ Jan 24 2006, 10:27 PM)</div>

Originally posted by rugged@Jan 24 2006, 06:25 PM

I don&#39;t know about the Reds having any depth at wing. Tune might not be fit for the start of the season. Hynes won&#39;t. It might be Caleb Brown versus Lote or Wendell. Don&#39;t think it&#39;ll matter too much in attack as the wings won&#39;t see too much ball. Will matter a lot in defence though.
Maybe I&#39;m wrong but he just doesn&#39;t seem to have any pace. Everytime he got the ball he seemed to just come back inside and hit it up. [/b]
Sounds like he&#39;s been watching Wendell too much.

I didn&#39;t go to the game but was interested to see how he went. Sounds like he has a ways to go.

Did you read in the paper this morning that they are bringing Ben Lucas into the squad (fresh out of school) for the trials to cover five eighth while the five eighths cover the outside backs.

Wally
26-01-06, 12:10 AM
Yeah I heard that. I doubt he&#39;ll get any game time this season but it&#39;ll be good experience for him. I think he&#39;ll defiantely be up there in a couple of years.

nik
27-01-06, 02:51 AM
The Chiefs scored five tries to three to beat the Highlanders 38-21 in a pre-season Rebel Sport Super 14 trial in Queenstown last night.

The Chiefs had been expected to be rusty in their first pre-season hitout against a Highlanders side who had beaten the Crusaders at the same venue five days ago.

But it was the Highlanders who lacked continuity and struggled to put passes together.

The Chiefs trailed with 15 minutes remaining when Vilimoni Delasau scored a classic winger&#39;s try down the right-hand touchline for the Highlanders.

But No 8 Steven Bates scored a try for the visitors, then Liam Messam conjured a wonderful try from a turnover on his own 22m line.

The former sevens star galloped 70m before finding support, eventually leading to reserve halfback Brendan Leonard scoring.

Murray Williams, essentially the Chief&#39;s fourth-string first five-eighth, then completed the rout with his side&#39;s fifth try in the final minute.

It was all a bit deflating for the Highlanders, who probably created enough opportunities but were punished for their inaccuracies.

Their passing was wayward and their combinations, particularly in a backline missing centre Neil Brew, virtually non-existent.

Despite this, openside flanker Tim Boys made a big impression for the Highlanders.

Chiefs Ian Foster was naturally pleased with the result.

"We took the opportunities that came our way tonight".

"But we didn&#39;t exactly do a lot in terms of constructing play, and that&#39;s something that we need to work on."

Foster was delighted with the contributions of two of his new players, Counties-Manukau winger Lelia Masaga and new Bay of Plenty halfback Jamie Nutbrown.

"Lelia&#39;s just a kid from the second division and he was feeling pretty nervous, but he looked really sharp.

"And I&#39;m really happy with Jamie. He&#39;s growing in confidence all the time."

http://allblacks.com/index.cfm?layout=disp...ewsArticle=3151 (http://allblacks.com/index.cfm?layout=displayNews&newsArticle=3151)

Groen_en_Goud
27-01-06, 04:28 AM
http://www.therugbyforum.com/forum/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/rofl2zz.gif

I can&#39;t wait for the Force to run out in front of the Melbourne crowd!!!! I hope they kiss the emblem and hand out free Western Force tee shirts.

-JJ-
27-01-06, 05:06 AM
Sounds good for the Chiefs. Will be interesting to see how they go in the early part of the season, with the first 2 in South Africa and the third in Perth..

The TRUTH
27-01-06, 06:04 AM
Originally posted by Groen_en_Goud@Jan 27 2006, 04:28 PM

I can&#39;t wait for the Force to run out in front of the Melbourne crowd!!!! I hope they kiss the emblem and hand out free Western Force tee shirts.

http://www.big-football-forum.co.uk/forum/images/smiles/puzzled.gifhttp://www.big-football-forum.co.uk/forum/images/smiles/screwy.gif

robotic69
27-01-06, 08:30 AM
Does anybody know the starting line up for the crusaders vs the cheethas game in Melboure. R the big guns for the crusaders playing?

robotic69
27-01-06, 08:32 AM
sorry all, the western force vs crusaders

Serge
27-01-06, 08:59 AM
Originally posted by robotic69@Jan 27 2006, 09:30 PM
Does anybody know the starting line up for the crusaders vs the cheethas game in Melboure. R the big guns for the crusaders playing?
It was in the press today, can&#39;t remember it though, I do recall:
9 Keven Senio
10 Dan Carter
11 Stephen Yates
12 Aaron Mauger
13 ?
14 ?
15 Scott Hamilton

8 Brad Mika
7 McCaw

Looks like most if not all the big guns are there. Interesting to see Mika at 8. I would not of thought he had enough gas to be at the back.

THE CHIROPRACTOR101
27-01-06, 09:42 AM
gas?....do you mean as endurance throughout a game becoz he scored a 50 metre try last year and showed great speed in other trys and runs

he is in a funny position..i was hoping he stayed in auckland..hes too small for a lock on the international scene but dam hes very versitile..great if not the best ball handling forward in new zealand and has great step..also makes crunching tackles and rarely misses a any..hes missing something tho

Zambaman
27-01-06, 11:16 AM
Originally posted by Serge+Jan 27 2006, 08:59 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Serge @ Jan 27 2006, 08:59 PM)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-robotic69@Jan 27 2006, 09:30 PM
It was in the press today, can&#39;t remember it though, I do recall:
9 Keven Senio
10 Dan Carter
11 Stephen Yates
12 Aaron Mauger
13 ?
14 ?
15 Scott Hamilton

8 Brad Mika
7 McCaw

Looks like most if not all the big guns are there. Interesting to see Mika at 8. I would not of thought he had enough gas to be at the back. [/b]
Just checking the Sport section for today, and it looks like:
1 Somerville
2 Kopelani
3 Johnstone
4 Filipo
5 Jack
6 Thorne
7 McCaw ©
8 Mika
9 Senio
10 Carter
11 Yates
12 McIntyre
13 Ralph
14 Gear
15 Hamilton.

Reserves: Paulo, Crockett, O&#39;Neil, Tanerua Latimer, Ellis, Mauger, Steven Brett, Ben Franks, Mulipola, Craig Clarke, Tim Taylor.

Taylor and Mulipola play for Nelson Bays don&#39;t they?

THE CHIROPRACTOR101
27-01-06, 12:45 PM
yeh..i guess rico brang some friends..by that i mean the cantab scouts

nik
28-01-06, 12:44 AM
The Hurricanes have kicked off their pre-season Super 14 campaign in style by beating the Brumbies 40-7 in Masterton, scoring six tries to one.

Jason Eaton, Lome Fa&#39;atau, Jimmy Gopperth, Conrad Smith and Hosea Gear crossed the line for the Hurricanes. Gear scored twice.

Coach Colin Cooper says while it is pleasing to have his players involved in a game situation, there are several things they need to work on. He says protection of the ball is one area, as they turned it over too often.

The Hurricanes led 14-nil at halftime.

http://xtramsn.co.nz/rugby/0,,12416-5317305,00.html

..::ERIC::..
28-01-06, 01:05 AM
It was a pretty scrappy game really. The Hurricanes seemed to defend, defend, defend and then score brilliant 70m tries from handling errors by the Brumbies.

rugged
28-01-06, 06:48 AM
So what are the Reds doing this weekend and who is going?

I think Miller will give Barnes first priority at five eighth this year. Didn&#39;t he play five eighth in all the games in South America?

nik
28-01-06, 07:59 AM
western force team to take on crusaders

Western Force squad

J.Hilgendorf, C.Shepherd, S.Staniforth,T.Mailata, G.DeBartolo, D.Ioane, H.Sare, S.Daruda, B.James, L.MacKay, C.O&#39;Young, M.Henjak, T.Davidson, S.Fava, M. Hodgson, R.Brown, L.Doherty, M.Windle, D.Pusey, N.Sharpe, J.Welborn, P.O&#39;Connor, D.Te Moana, D.Fitter, T.McIsaac ©, L.Holmes, B.Cannon, G.Hardy, A.Scott

http://www.globalsuper14.com/news/show_art...sp?id=405&cat=4 (http://www.globalsuper14.com/news/show_article.asp?id=405&cat=4)

EDIT...not sure if this is the actual line up...but these are the players that will be playin in the game

The TRUTH
28-01-06, 02:38 PM
Emirates Western Force go down to Crusaders in Melbourne
Saturday, 28 January 2006
RugbyWA

The Emirates Western Force have gone down to Super 12 champions, the Crusaders, at trial game at Olympic Park in Melbourne before a crowd of 11,557.
On a wet track and in muggy conditions, with both sides dropping their fair share of ball, the New Zealanders - boasting All Blacks Richie McCaw, Dan Carter, Reuben Thorne, Greg Somerville, Aaron Mauger, Chris Jack and Rico Gear - defeated the Perth team 36 to 19.
The Emirates Western Force were the first to score in a mistake-ridden first half. Awarded a penalty, the forwards drove to within inches of the try line, from the resulting lineout, then threw the ball wide to Scott Staniforth who&#39;d joined the backline from his blindside wing. The try was converted by Brock James. Score 7-0.
In the 8th minute, a kick-through from Crusader flyhalf Dan Carter was lost by the Emirates Western Force and the ball was swung first to the right, and then to the left, with Steven Yates going over for the try. The score was not converted. Score 7-5.
The Crusaders next score came from a kick-through and chase in the 20th minute, with the slippery ball evading the grasp of two Emirates Western Force defenders, allowing Yates to post his second. Try converted by Dan Carter. Score 7-12.
The New Zealanders were quickly back on the attack, and from a lineout in the 26th minute, they drove forward with captain Richie McCaw peeling from the maul and scoring in the corner. The try was not converted. Score: 7-17.
In the 34th minute, Emirates Western Force number eight Tim Davidson grubbered the ball through for flyer Scott Staniforth, who beat his Kiwi defender in the chase to post his second five-pointer. The try was not converted by Brock James. Score 12-17.
Half time: 12-17.
After half time, Nathan Sharpe, Scott Fava, Brennan Cannon, David Fitter, Digby Ioane, Lachlan MacKay and Cameron Shepherd joined Matt Henjak and Scott Staniforth (who both started the game) in making their debut for the Emirates Western Force but couldn&#39;t stop the Crusaders, who seemed far more comfortable with the slippery ball as the game wore on.
In the 44th minute, Crusader Aaron Mauger charged down a clearance kick from Lachlan MacKay to score the New Zealanders&#39; fourth try. It was converted by Dan Carter. Score 12-24. Another chargedown by the Crusaders almost led to another try in the 48th minute.
When referee Brett Browden missed a Scott Yates knock-on in the 53rd minute, and the visitors momentarily paused for the whistle, Crusaders fullback Scott Hamilton crossed the line after a series of passes. The try was converted by Stephen Brett. Score 12-31.
In the 69th minute, Emirates Western Force prop Angus Scott scored a pushover try from a lineout taken by lock Pat O&#39;Connor. The try was converted by Lachlan MacKay. Score 19-31.
In the 73rd minute, Crusaders Tim Taylor broke through for the Crusaders sixth try. The try was not converted. Score 19-36.
FINAL SCORE: Emirates Western Force 19 - Crusaders 36 at Olympic Park, Melbourne.
Emirates Western Force: Tries - Staniforth 2, Scott 1. Conversions - James 1, MacKay 1.
Crusaders: Tries - Yates 2, McCaw, Mauger, Hamilton, Taylor. Conversions - Carter 2, Brett 1.
Crowd: 11,557

Groen_en_Goud
28-01-06, 03:13 PM
At Sun City

1st Match
SHARKS defeated BULLS 13 - 10

2nd Match about to start...

nik
28-01-06, 11:28 PM
Talent-rich NSW gave Waratahs coach Ewen McKenzie some selection problems as his Super 14 team defeated a star-studded Blues combination 28-21 in a trial match at Central Coast Stadium.

The Waratahs scored three tries to two and actually expanded their 13-7 lead in the second half when the Blues fielded their stronger line-up.

The visitors fielded ten All Blacks in the second half, but made few in roads against an NSW combination which included just five Wallabies.

Prize NSW recruit Wendell Sailor had few opportunities on the wing during the first half, but displayed neat footwork on the occasions he got the ball and also came infield looking for work.

It was the Waratahs&#39; second straight trial win following their 21-5 conquest of the Brumbies last week, while the Blues, coached by former Brumbies mentor David Nucifora slipped to another defeat following a loss to Queensland last week.

Fullback Peter Hewat gave NSW a 3-0 lead with an early penalty, but the Blues hit back with a converted try to halfback John Senio.

NSW retaliated through a try to centre Morgan Turinui off a pass from five-eighth Sam Norton-Knight.

Hewat added the only points of the second quarter with a 47 metre penalty after the siren.

The Waratahs&#39; second half line-up started in perky fashion, with Rocky Elsom, who had been switched from flanker to lock, crossing off a pass from young fullback Daniel Halangahu.

All Blacks speedster Joe Rokocoko squeezed over in the left hand corner to help cut the deficit to six points.

However a Tim Donnelly penalty and a try to Stephen Hoiles gave the Waratahs an imposing 28-14 lead.

The only score of the final quarter was a try after the fulltime siren to inside centre Luke McAllister who converted his own five-pointer.

While NSW looked lively in the third quarter it spent much of the fourth under pressure, with its lineout not functioning smoothly.

After the game McKenzie was reluctant to nominate impressive youngsters, but lock Will Caldwell and Halangahu were among the less experienced members of the squad to turn in decent performances.

"We did better on the scoreboard in the second half, but we probably fell down technically speaking, particularly in the forwards with the lineouts and the kick-offs," McKenzie said.

"I think we started the second half well and looked good but we fizzled a little bit towards the end and they started getting repeated possession."

Asked about Sailor&#39;s impact on debut, McKenzie said: "It was difficult, he didn&#39;t have much ball, so when he did get it he was getting it with the opposition at the same time."

Former Queenslander Sailor said the Blues were probably the quickest team the Waratahs would play against and added he would probably continue to move into inside centre occasionally.

But wasn&#39;t getting carried away with the Waratah&#39;s pre-season success.

"I&#39;ve won a lot of trials before with Queensland and it didn&#39;t really work (in the season proper)," Sailor said.

Nucifora said he thought his team had the better of the second and fourth quarters, whilst giving the Waratahs the upper hand in the first and third.

"They exposed us a couple of times in a few areas, which is good, that&#39;s what you want, you want to be exposed at this time of the year, all in all it was a very worthwhile performance from both teams," Nucifora said.

He added he wasn&#39;t disappointed with where the Blues were at as he had been pushing his players hard at training.

sanzar
29-01-06, 01:01 AM
It&#39;s only the trials, so we shouldn&#39;t read too much into it, but it&#39;s a good sign that a Tah&#39;s outfit like that could beat a Blues line up with 10 All Blacks.

Wally
29-01-06, 04:49 AM
I&#39;m going to throw doritos at Sailor when he comes up here to play.

Ripper
29-01-06, 04:57 AM
What a waste of Doritos...

They still sell those 3D ones?

rugged
29-01-06, 08:55 AM
How bout Dell getting all upset at the Reds for doing a campaign to boo Wendell.

Geez, as if the QLDers wouldn&#39;t boo him anyway.

Maybe he&#39;s feeling a bit traiterous.

samb√£d5
29-01-06, 09:21 AM
Originally posted by rugged@Jan 29 2006, 09:55 PM
How bout Dell getting all upset at the Reds for doing a campaign to boo Wendell.

Geez, as if the QLDers wouldn&#39;t boo him anyway.

Maybe he&#39;s feeling a bit traiterous.
how much stick did he get once he turned to the greater code?

Wally
29-01-06, 10:57 AM
As much as I like Dell, he still turned his back on Queensland. I hope he dislocates his thumb. Twice.

sanzar
29-01-06, 12:45 PM
I&#39;ve never been much of a big Dell fan, but I&#39;ve been laughing ever since he ditched the Qld and have decided to support him http://www.therugbyforum.com/forum/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/biggrin.gif http://www.therugbyforum.com/forum/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/banana.gif .

Groen_en_Goud
29-01-06, 02:56 PM
Well the Southern Spares got another smashing. 73 - 5 loss against the Stormers.

The way things are going, SA Rugby would be very stupid to include them in the Super 14 next year. In fact I doubt the party running the Super 14 would allow them to compete.

nik
02-02-06, 08:34 PM
Western Force coach John Mitchell must find a way to lift his troops before next week&#39;s Super 14 debut after the new-boys were thrashed 43-5 by the Blues in Auckland on Thursday.

The inclusion of seven All Blacks in the Blues side proved decisive in the pre-season clash as both teams completed preparations for the revamped competition.

Blues coach David Nucifora wasn&#39;t reading too much into Thursday&#39;s one-sided contest.

"Unless you know how each team is preparing for the season, it&#39;s very difficult to make assumptions," he said.

"I&#39;m sure they weren&#39;t satisfied with their effort and they have a challenge next week.

"But it&#39;s pretty hard to read too much into anyone&#39;s performance at the moment."

The Force will kick-start Super 14 rugby with a home match against the Brumbies next Friday, but the squad will have to pick itself up off the canvas after today&#39;s 38-point hammering capped a win-less pre-season.

The fledgling franchise had shown some encouragement in practice match losses to the Cheetahs and Crusaders over the past fortnight, in Perth and Melbourne respectively.

But Thursday&#39;s disappointing result at Eden Park highlighted the task confronting the first-year club and its New Zealand-born head coach Mitchell.

"I certainly know a lot more about the players individually and certain aspects of the team collectively, having gone through the trial process," Mitchell said.

"Against any New Zealand side, if you cough up turnover ball, they shift it to the other end."

Mitchell included outside centre Junior Pelesasa in the starting XV, but the former Queensland Red lasted only 27 minutes, by which time Auckland led 24-0.

Mitchell replaced Pelesasa with Scott Daruda and also removed starting halfback Vitori Buatava, throwing Wallaby Matt Henjak into the fray.

They had little impact, however, as the Blues entered the break with a commanding 29-0 advantage.

The WA side got on the board with a try to Luke Doherty straight after the re-start, but it was only a temporary stay as Auckland ran out winners seven tries to one.

The Force struggled defensively and failed to capitalise on a glut of first-half possession.

A fine solo run from Isa Nacewa opened the scoring for the Blues in the third minute, Brent Ward converting the try for an early 7-0 lead.

But the next 15 minutes proved costly for the Force, who couldn&#39;t convert six straight penalties into any points.

Auckland staved off the barrage of Force possession before breaking the shackles, racing in three tries in the next 10 minutes.

It was more of the same in the second half as a side boasting

All Black regulars Keven Mealamu, Joe Rokocoko and Doug Howlett proved too powerful for the Force.

The tackle bags are set for a serious work-out at Force training this week, judging by Mitchell&#39;s post-match assessment.

"I guess the area that disappointed me the most was individual tackle accuracy," Mitchell said.

"It was probably our worst aspect of play."

Blues 43: Tries: Isa Nacewa, John Senio, Brent Ward, Joe Rokocoko, Justin Collins, Villie Waqaseduadua, Rua Tipoki, Cons: Ward 4
Force 5: Tries: Luke Doherty

nik
03-02-06, 07:06 AM
saw on the news that Isa Nacewa played at 1st-5 and he carved up force defence...both lavea and mccalister had niggling injuries...

shows the depth of the blues squad...and nacewa can now play almost all positions in the backline...

Wally
03-02-06, 07:25 AM
I feel sorry for the Blues.