PDA

View Full Version : Henson to Toulon?

david0404
02-02-11, 03:27 PM
Just seen this article on the BBC. Toulon to possibly sign Gavin Henson as a back-up and maybe later a team-mate for Johnny Wilkinson. What do we think of this?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_union/my_club/saracens/9385402.stm

TRF_Draggs
02-02-11, 03:34 PM
Who do Toulon play in midfield?
Henson doesn't play his best rugby at 10, and I don't see him forcing Wilkinson off.
If he goes, I'd like to see a 2/3 year contract, just so he can stay put and play some rugby.

Toulon have a lot of money to throw about, but wouldn't go after someone unless they saw something.

(BTW, who should I support now: Hook/USAP, Byrne-King/ASM, Henson/Toulon?)

Logorrhea
02-02-11, 04:07 PM
who should I support now: Hook/USAP, Byrne-King/ASM, Henson/Toulon?
The Dragons ye numpty! :)

Gavin
02-02-11, 04:09 PM
Toulon have a couple of good midfielders. Seems like a weird move to me.

TRF_Draggs
02-02-11, 04:20 PM
The Dragons ye numpty! :)

Hah, you're right there!
I try to support whatever teams have Welsh players (except the Sarries).
Why did Hook, Byrne, and Henson have to go to different teams?! Now I will have to spend a fortune on kits.

TVH11
02-02-11, 04:26 PM
WHAT THE FUDGIN HELL IS HE DOING!!!! After only 6 weeks and what 4/5 games he already wants to move??? I'm a huge Henson fan, but my lord what does he think he's playing at. Saracens took a huge huge huge gamble by signing him in the first place (i doubt he's cheap to pay either).
There we go i guess, you got the cash to flash, do it. Put bums on seats as they say. But in all seriousness, if he does go before end of season then there is clearly something wrong in his head - no commitment issues at all. As i said, I'm a huge fan of his, but if he were to go in next few weeks, then no-one will take him serious at all. Good luck to him but I hope for his sake he shows some commitment to the Sarries, at least till the end of the season.

TRF_Olyy
02-02-11, 04:45 PM
Henson only signed for Sarries until the end of the season anyway, and he's already surplus to requirement
Didn't expect him to move to France but it's to be expected as none of the Aviva teams want him, he walked out on Ospreys and Toulon would probably offer him more than any others

munstermuffin
02-02-11, 06:24 PM
Sarries aren't exactly worried. I'm sure they'll survive without him and while I know people will question his commitment I'm sure this is a deal that suits all parties

gingergenius
02-02-11, 06:38 PM
As a Sarries fan, even I'm meh. He's never been anything other than a 12, whatever people say. And he's not better than Barritt. So we don't really need him.

david0404
02-02-11, 07:49 PM
Well that's that. Gav's requested to be released from his Sarries contract and they accepted it. Probably be confirmed as a Toulon player in the next day or two.

TRF_Draggs
02-02-11, 09:32 PM
Well that's that. Gav's requested to be released from his Sarries contract and they accepted it. Probably be confirmed as a Toulon player in the next day or two.

His agent must be getting good at contract release negotiations.
At least I don't have to feel any sort of support to the Sarries.

MichaelBoard
02-02-11, 09:43 PM
WHAT THE FUDGIN HELL IS HE DOING!!!! After only 6 weeks and what 4/5 games he already wants to move??? I'm a huge Henson fan, but my lord what does he think he's playing at. Saracens took a huge huge huge gamble by signing him in the first place (i doubt he's cheap to pay either).
There we go i guess, you got the cash to flash, do it. Put bums on seats as they say. But in all seriousness, if he does go before end of season then there is clearly something wrong in his head - no commitment issues at all. As i said, I'm a huge fan of his, but if he were to go in next few weeks, then no-one will take him serious at all. Good luck to him but I hope for his sake he shows some commitment to the Sarries, at least till the end of the season.

Bit OTT isn't it? As someone mentioned surely this would be a deal that suits all parties? Sarries don't really need him so will be glad to get him off the wage packet and Gavs just been restricted to cameo appearances mainly in a position he doesn't play so its not really benefiting him either. A move to Toulon would suit him as there is no doubt that playing in France improves a player's game (Gareth Thomas and Stephen Jones playing for Toulouse and Clermonte Auvergne respectively) and I understand he would be playing at 10 in the absence of Jonny Wilkinson (on England duty) and Felipe Contepomi (currently out injured) which is the position that he desires to play and believes to be his best position. Who knows if he plays well at 10 and silences the critics who doubt his ability at 10 then maybe he could be the one to take over from Stephen Jones when he finally decides to hang up his boots. Though I understand this is a long way off and he would have fierce competition from the likes of Hook, Tovey, Priestland etc.

Teh Mite
02-02-11, 09:53 PM
Pfft. Henson can't even do a half-arsed job in a position he was even once considered a decent international. He'll be a worse fly-half then Andy Farrell.

MichaelBoard
02-02-11, 09:57 PM
Pfft. Henson can't even do a half-arsed job in a position he was even once considered a decent international. He'll be a worse fly-half then Andy Farrell.

To be worse at flyhalf than Farrell, thats not an easy feat to achieve! I'd confidently predict that that won't be the case.

snoopy snoopy dog dog
02-02-11, 10:19 PM
At least he can work on his tan in Toulon.

Henson's a waster. He has all the talent in the world but lacks application and the desire to realise his potential.

MichaelBoard
02-02-11, 10:50 PM
At least he can work on his tan in Toulon.

Henson's a waster. He has all the talent in the world but lacks application and the desire to realise his potential.

You talking a load of nonsense. How can you question his desire when he has returned to rugby due to his burning desire to represent his country again? :S He definitely hasn't come back for the money as he could quite easily of hung up his boots for good and forged a decent career in television. Very silly thing to say then really, next foolish and totally inaccurate point?

gingergenius
02-02-11, 11:04 PM
He definitely hasn't come back for the money

So he's not come back for the money, but has decided very suddenly to be released from a contract with a club in a city where he wanted to be for family reasons, and ups sticks for the richest club in the world.

Add that to the fact that he said himself he was coming back because he'd been on unpaid leave for 18 months and needed some cash. No way has he got the brains or charisma to have a decent career in TV. His career prospects beyond rugby will involve whoring himself to the Z-list tabloid culture by selling pictures of his wedding, giving exclusive interviews to OK and being photographed leaving boring 'glam' nightclubs in the West End with Princess Beatrice and Joe Bloggs off Xfactor where the clientele are just as up their own arses as he is.

Pull your head out of the sand.

snoopy snoopy dog dog
02-02-11, 11:16 PM
If Henson wants to play for Wales, how about he doesn't take nearly 2 years out of the game and puts in a bit of effort? How about he doesn't jump ship from a club that gave him a chance after only a month? Henson's a waster.

TRF_Hulkster
02-02-11, 11:24 PM
If Henson wants to play for Wales, how about he doesn't take nearly 2 years out of the game and puts in a bit of effort? How about he doesn't jump ship from a club that gave him a chance after only a month? Henson's a waster.

Im with this guy!

TRF_nickdnz
02-02-11, 11:24 PM
Just pointing this out -

10. Wilkinson
11. Paul Sackey
12. Gavid Henson
13. Mathieu Bastareaud
14. Rudi Wulf
15. Rory Lamont

That looks like a ludacrisly good backline. If Henson wanted to make an impact of the Wales team, he's not going about it the right way.

You talking a load of nonsense. How can you question his desire when he has returned to rugby due to his burning desire to represent his country again? :S He definitely hasn't come back for the money as he could quite easily of hung up his boots for good and forged a decent career in television. Very silly thing to say then really, next foolish and totally inaccurate point?

Why when I read that, do I picture you on the verge of tears?

TRF_Hulkster
02-02-11, 11:26 PM
Has Bastareaud gone there yet?

TVH11
02-02-11, 11:54 PM
Bit OTT isn't it? As someone mentioned surely this would be a deal that suits all parties? Sarries don't really need him so will be glad to get him off the wage packet and Gavs just been restricted to cameo appearances mainly in a position he doesn't play so its not really benefiting him either. A move to Toulon would suit him as there is no doubt that playing in France improves a player's game (Gareth Thomas and Stephen Jones playing for Toulouse and Clermonte Auvergne respectively) and I understand he would be playing at 10 in the absence of Jonny Wilkinson (on England duty) and Felipe Contepomi (currently out injured) which is the position that he desires to play and believes to be his best position. Who knows if he plays well at 10 and silences the critics who doubt his ability at 10 then maybe he could be the one to take over from Stephen Jones when he finally decides to hang up his boots. Though I understand this is a long way off and he would have fierce competition from the likes of Hook, Tovey, Priestland etc.

Yer i know its OTT, and i wish him the best of luck. but no-one will take him seriously if he does things like this (and there are a huge amount that have already lost faith). I have no problems with him moving to france - worked wonders for us welshies in the past, i just find it a bit of a joke that hes already decided to leave; just seems disrespectful to sarries and their fans really.
On the plus side, no more fake tan with that French weather eii :P :P

TRF_Hulkster
03-02-11, 12:15 AM
Just thought something, if Mike Phillips is indeed leaving the Ospreys, and Byron Kelleher is leaving Toulouse ... reckon we could see Phillips at Toulouse?

dullonien
03-02-11, 12:25 AM
Just thought something, if Mike Phillips is indeed leaving the Ospreys, and Byron Kelleher is leaving Toulouse ... reckon we could see Phillips at Toulouse?

Would it also mean that we would see Nutbrown as first choice Ospreys scrum half :eek:.

TRF_Hulkster
03-02-11, 12:31 AM
Would it also mean that we would see Nutbrown as first choice Ospreys scrum half :eek:.

Well .....

Rhys Webb has looked half decent in recent games, there are scrum halves in the region that are decent prospects also. First choice Neath scrum half should be looked at.

cyRil
03-02-11, 12:39 AM
Rhys Webb can **** off. Along with Dan Biggar.
Kelleher can be our scrum half next season :p

Charles
03-02-11, 02:14 AM

That is actually a possibility...Interesting. I think he'd do well at Toulouse.

TRF_nickdnz
03-02-11, 03:14 AM
Has Bastareaud gone there yet?

I'm fairly sure he's signed for next season.

Charles
03-02-11, 03:42 AM
I'm fairly sure he's signed for next season.

You sure?

I haven't seen anything official yet...

TRF_nickdnz
03-02-11, 03:44 AM
You sure?

I haven't seen anything official yet...

I could be wrong.

TRF_Olyy
03-02-11, 07:05 AM
Only thing I found on Basta/Toulon is an article saying that the Big Cheese at Toulon won't sign him because he still has two years left on his contract and he won't sign anyone unless they're out of contract (learnt his lesson with SBW?)

Teh Mite
03-02-11, 07:17 AM
Toulon are becoming the Real Madrid of rugby - a collection of superstars (and token eyebrow raisers), but you do wonder where if there is a team spirit in the camp.

Charles
03-02-11, 07:49 AM
Only thing I found on Basta/Toulon is an article saying that the Big Cheese at Toulon won't sign him because he still has two years left on his contract and he won't sign anyone unless they're out of contract (learnt his lesson with SBW?)

No, he just tried to lure Gorgodze from Montpellier, got stood up, cried a river and is preparing to go to court for breach of agreement, so he can't really be seen to steal Basta fom Paris at the same time.

Toulon are becoming the Real Madrid of rugby - a collection of superstars (and token eyebrow raisers), but you do wonder where if there is a team spirit in the camp.

There is definitly a team spirit in the camp. Maybe not all the players, but guys like Wilko, Van Niekerk, Kubri, Mignoni etc are really in it for the team. You don't perform as well as they do just for money.

Teh Mite
03-02-11, 08:22 AM
We heard that about Venters Saracens too, but it turns pout they were more like a university fraternity - Forced team spirit and completely forgotten once the novelty wore off.

munstermuffin
03-02-11, 08:39 AM
Toulon can sign who ever they want but they still have to produce a trophy.
Henson isn't the answer to their problems but only way I see it is they will keep signing big names and eventually it'll come back to haunt them if they abandon their academy

TRF_nickdnz
03-02-11, 08:59 AM
Toulon can sign who ever they want but they still have to produce a trophy.
Henson isn't the answer to their problems but only way I see it is they will keep signing big names and eventually it'll come back to haunt them if they abandon their academy

In fairness, they hardly got to where they are today, off the back of a good academy. Prior to being promoted to the T14, they were still signing players like Umaga, Oliver, Gregan, Mehtrens and Matfield. Their progress is fairly good considering three years ago they wern't in the T14, but I suppose comparitively average considering the money they've spent.

TRF_Hulkster
03-02-11, 09:24 AM
An expensive dream at that for Mourad Boudjellal, much like Roman Abramovich at Chelsea

munstermuffin
03-02-11, 09:45 AM
Yes that's my point nick that their money will bring them a certain distance but you need structure, club spirit and heart (things money can't buy) to go that last mile.

TRF_Hulkster
03-02-11, 10:10 AM
Gaaaavvvvlllaaaaarrrrrr

Has gone to Toulon as we know, 2 and half years (http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_union/my_club/saracens/9385402.stm)

Teh Mite
03-02-11, 10:12 AM
At least 606 members have something to do other then abuse each other about tomorrow night... Abuse each other about Gavin Henson.

Otherwise that has to be the most unremarkable story of the week.

MichaelBoard
03-02-11, 11:54 AM
Gaaaavvvvlllaaaaarrrrrr

Has gone to Toulon as we know, 2 and half years (http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_union/my_club/saracens/9385402.stm)

The BBC want to get their facts straight. In their first article about when they first got wind that Henson was in talks with Toulon they said he was 28 then a paragraph or 2 later the article says he is 29. Which one is it? 28 or 29? Then today there was an article confirming that Gav had signed for Toulon for an initial 5 months with his contract being renewed at the end of the French season then another article soon after said that he'd signed for Toulon on a 2 and a half year deal.

Sort it out BBC

TRF_Hulkster
03-02-11, 11:56 AM
Welcome to the joys of the BBC :)

TVH11
03-02-11, 12:47 PM
well good luck to him, bring on the sledging :P (he deserves it i guess).
Hopefully the french weather will knock some sense into him, and he seriously gets back to some consistent form (and more mins on the pitch of course). Saying that, can't see him breaking into that Toulon side (the way things are atm anyways). I hope to be proven wrong in the coming months :D

TRF_Olyy
03-02-11, 12:51 PM
How much longer is he out injured?
Or is he already healed up?

TRF_Hulkster
03-02-11, 12:57 PM
Probably healed up and raring to go!

Teh Mite
03-02-11, 12:59 PM
Until he realises he's too much of a wimp to take it now and gets another "injury".

So much for "2 games and I'll be ready for a return to playing for Wales" :lol:

munstermuffin
03-02-11, 01:08 PM
Only good thing I'll say about Henson in Toulon is if he finds form he could be a star their as he could possibly be the most creative 12 they have on the roster at the moment

TRF_Hulkster
03-02-11, 01:09 PM
Hopefully the British media hype of him will die down.

snoopy snoopy dog dog
03-02-11, 01:15 PM
How much longer is he out injured?
He should be fit and raring to go in time for the next series of I'm A Celebrity, Get Me Out Of Here

munstermuffin
03-02-11, 01:54 PM
Ha :D Snoop brilliant

TRF_Olyy
03-02-11, 01:56 PM
He should be fit and raring to go in time for the next series of I'm A Celebrity, Get Me Out Of Here

*insert joke about Henson eating a penis here*

Teh Mite
03-02-11, 02:02 PM
Cyril!

cyRil
03-02-11, 02:57 PM
You know ;)

Logorrhea
03-02-11, 03:07 PM
he could possibly be the most
Every conversation about Henson tends to include statements like that. Most of them are true e.g. most underperforming or most overrated. Its the ones that talk about this mythical potential and talent that annoy me. Total press hype ****e.

TRF_Hulkster
03-02-11, 04:15 PM
Every conversation about Henson tends to include statements like that. Most of them are true e.g. most underperforming or most overrated. Its the ones that talk about this mythical potential and talent that annoy me. Total press hype ****e.

Well to be honest he 'has' the talent but never had the brain or the right people around him to show him it.

TrueSlawter
03-02-11, 05:10 PM
So he's not come back for the money, but has decided very suddenly to be released from a contract with a club in a city where he wanted to be for family reasons, and ups sticks for the richest club in the world.

Add that to the fact that he said himself he was coming back because he'd been on unpaid leave for 18 months and needed some cash. No way has he got the brains or charisma to have a decent career in TV. His career prospects beyond rugby will involve whoring himself to the Z-list tabloid culture by selling pictures of his wedding, giving exclusive interviews to OK and being photographed leaving boring 'glam' nightclubs in the West End with Princess Beatrice and Joe Bloggs off Xfactor where the clientele are just as up their own arses as he is.

Pull your head out of the sand.

He hasnt gone to toulon for money mainly imo.. ofc it would be a factor however what would you rather? the odd game now and then at 13 which isnt his position or off to france with guarenteed 10 for a while and possibly a #12 slot depending on how he does? basically if your local team played you out of position and another team offered if you play for them to play in your prefered place what would you do?

note - sorry for late reply / quote im normally pretty slow with these things :/

Teh Mite
03-02-11, 05:13 PM
He hasnt gone to toulon for money mainly imo.. ofc it would be a factor however what would you rather? the odd game now and then at 13 which isnt his position or off to france with guarenteed 10 for a while and possibly a #12 slot depending on how he does? basically if your local team played you out of position and another team offered if you play for them to play in your prefered place what would you do?

Those are really crap excuses.

TrueSlawter
03-02-11, 05:19 PM
What are crap? wanting to play in a position your used to and played at international level in or play a position new to you? with guarenteed 10 spot till wilkinson is back and then a #12 shirt for after he'd be stupid not to accept seeming at sarries he didn't play much and was mainly put at #13.

I agree with leaving sarries now is pretty bad after them taking a risk with him however he's doing the best to achive what he wants, to get back into the wales team which he cant do without playing games

Teh Mite
03-02-11, 05:32 PM
He left Ospreys because he wanted to be closer to London and his kids. He signed a contract with Saracens and was played ahead of better team-mates, only to get crocked after 3 games. He's now walked out on the contract (and Sarries are screaming "thank god" on saving the invariable fortune he was already costing) to chase the money Toulon are offering.

It's got **** all to do with being a fly-half (which was ******** from the off). 6 weeks and he'll never play at 10 for them again. I give it about 40 minutes and PSA will decide that he'll never play 10 for them again.

He's the same selfish ****ehawk he always was. If he found it tough in the Premiership and HEC, he's got a hell of a shock coming once the 1st Top 14 match rolls around.

TRF_Olyy
03-02-11, 05:37 PM
The cynic in me thinks that the whole "sticking in London to be close to his kids" thing was actually more of a "sticking in London so he can do SCD and train with his new team" thing, as he obviously doesn't mind moving 800 odd miles away from them now...

TRF_Draggs
03-02-11, 07:32 PM

Dwayne Peel is off his contract at Sale at the end of this season...

TRF_Hulkster
03-02-11, 08:36 PM
Dwayne Peel is off his contract at Sale at the end of this season...

Only happen if Kingsley Jones was to move there I think!

TRF_RC
08-02-11, 11:37 PM
I think Henson has gone primarily because of the money, but there's also the added incentive that he's guaranteed a 10 spot.
I'd take it if i was Henson, but my only thought is, "This guy is gonna keep on getting injured over and over again."
Good luck to him, but he's more trouble than he's worth.

TRF_Hulkster
08-02-11, 11:40 PM
Only guaranteed when Jonny is not there mind!

TRF_Olyy
08-02-11, 11:53 PM
And Contepomi
(and to a lesser extent Barthelemy)

TRF_RC
09-02-11, 12:57 AM
Edit: Guaranteed*

*Only for the next 6 weeks when Johnny's not there...and maybe Contepomi (who can actually play fly half...even if he is looking a little tubby these days).

Teh Mite
09-02-11, 06:56 AM
That never stopped Andy Goode being a better 10 rugby player then Henson!

TRF_RC
09-02-11, 11:50 AM
Que?

Teh Mite
09-02-11, 01:12 PM
Looking a "little tubby"! ;)

cyRil
09-02-11, 01:15 PM
You've always got a lot to say for yourself, haven't you?
I'm dubbing you the Warren Gatland of TRF - all mouth and full of ****!!!

Teh Mite
09-02-11, 01:17 PM
Giz a kiss cyRil! :p

cyRil
09-02-11, 01:23 PM
Mwah! :D

TRF_Hulkster
09-02-11, 08:43 PM
You've always got a lot to say for yourself, haven't you?
I'm dubbing you the Warren Gatland of TRF - all mouth and full of ****!!!

Hahaha quote of the year!