PDA

View Full Version : Powergen Cup Semi Finals

Boy
27-02-06, 06:01 PM
Looks like all four teams will be able to pick from practically full strength squads for Saturday's double-header at the Millenium Stadium, although Scarlets may be without Peel. (http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_union/welsh/4756440.stm)

getofmeland
27-02-06, 07:19 PM
For anyone still interested, there are still Tickets available... May make the last minute decision to go...

Flamingo
27-02-06, 07:38 PM
I might go, seems a good day out, any english going?

Boy
27-02-06, 11:49 PM
I would go if it weren't in Cardiff, and therefore damn near impossible to get to for anyone without a car. I live in Liverpool, which you wouldn't think would be that difficult to get back to (there must be a Cardiff-Manchester train, surely). But the Bath game kicks off at 17:15, meaning it'll finish around seven at the earliest, which means if I'm lucky I might be able to get back to Liverpool by midnight. If I miss that train, though, it would be 11am the next morning!

All a bit much for a tin-pot competition* that's being shown on the BBC anyway....

*'tin-pot competition' unless we get to the final and end up winning it, of course. Then it's a worthwhile and extremely productive route into Europe.

An Tarbh
28-02-06, 10:10 AM
Scott Johnson has said he doesn't want Dwayne Peel to play in the semi final this weekend, with Cooper out he doesn't want to take the risk. Fair call I suppose, but Llanelli have a decent chance in this game more so with Peel starting. Llanelli say they might pick him anyway since there's no actual agreement between the WRU and the Clubs, merely a gentleman's agreement. But they say they don't want to put Peel in that position. So it looks like Llanelli are willing to compromise as long as Peel gets to play.

Symclaw
28-02-06, 08:19 PM
Ive been to manchester from cardiff before. With both games though im guessing the atmosphere will be rubbish.

loratadine
02-03-06, 07:16 PM
not so - ive been to a double header match before and it was a great day out.

ok here my predictions

wasps 26
tigers 18

bath 21
scarlets 27

even without peel i expect the scarlets backline to have to much for bath.

thomashenry
02-03-06, 11:53 PM
Originally posted by Boy@Feb 28 2006, 11:49 AM
I would go if it weren't in Cardiff, and therefore damn near impossible to get to for anyone without a car.
Surely that is no more or less true than it would be for just about any city in the UK?

Boy
03-03-06, 01:20 AM
Cardiff is notoriously difficult to get to, especially from the North West of England, mainly because they just don't put on any more trains. The matter isn't helped by the double-header starting at 3pm. If the first was say 1pm and the second 3:30pm it would make it a lot easier.

And Lora, you're not exactly having that much success with your predictions as of late, have you? Ashton's got Bath's backs attacking and defending at a much, much higher level in the past month or so, but it'll still be a while before people stop labelling us as a 'forwards' team.

getofmeland
03-03-06, 09:27 AM
Bath have improved dramatically since Ashton has arrived to the club, the game against Gloucester was proof of that, first time in ages I have had a chance to watch Bath and I was impressed the backs were great, offloading from the tackle, and the defence was also good, and the great thing about it is that they still had the forwards playing their game and driving forward.... I honestly reckon Leicester will beat Wasps, and Bath will beat the Scarlets.... I am not going to say the scores, but it will be 2 great games...

An Tarbh
03-03-06, 09:49 AM
Looking at the Scarlets team it does seem surprising that James, Jones and Watkins have been allowed to play, Wales don't exactly have major cover for them guys either yet Peel gets to sit it out.

loratadine
03-03-06, 10:54 AM
comparing the scarlets backline with baths - there is only one winner

but bath do have a great pack and if they get ball im sure they can be dangerous.

but i think the scarlets will win.

robbinho
03-03-06, 11:30 AM
Bath:
15 Matt Perry
14 Andy Higgins
13 Alex Crockett
12 Joe Maddock
11 Salesi Finau
10 Chris Malone
9 Nick Walshe
1 Matt Stevens
2 Lee Mears
3 Duncan Bell
4 Steve Borthwick (captain)
5 Danny Grewcock
6 Andy Beattie
7 Michael Lipman
8 Zak Feaunati

16 Pieter Dixon
17 David Flatman
18 Gareth Delve
19 Peter Short
20 Andy Williams
21 Andy Dunne
22 Nick Abendanon

Scarlets:
15 B Davies;
14 M Jones;
13 M Watkins,
12 R King,
11 D James;
10 M Hercus,
9 C Stuart-Smith;
1 C Dunlea,
2 M Rees,
3 J Davies,
4 I Afeaki,
5 A Jones,
6 S Easterby (capt),
7 G Thomas,
8 A Popham.

Replacements: M Madden, A Gravelle, D Jones, G Quinnell, D Williams, L Davies, L Byrne.

getofmeland
03-03-06, 06:44 PM
Originally posted by loratadine@Mar 3 2006, 11:54 AM
comparing the scarlets backline with baths - there is only one winner

but bath do have a great pack and if they get ball im sure they can be dangerous.

but i think the scarlets will win.
Have you watched Bath recently, their backs have been fantastic, and they will keep getting better under Ashton.... I think that Bath have turned the corner, we have been successful in the Heiny Cup and Powergen Cup, and now are putting it into our league form, which should stop us from going down... We are now in a stronger position in the GP....
The Scarlets will give us a tough game but Bath can edge them, with a solid performance, but one thing for sure I reckon it will be a fantastic game, surely the reason why they have put it on the later kick off.....

STILL NOT TOO LATE TO GET TICKETS!!!!!!!

so tempted to go but cant find anyone to go with....

loratadine
03-03-06, 06:49 PM
ill go

getofmeland
03-03-06, 06:51 PM
TICKETS AVAILABLE

98 St Mary Street Cardiff
(until Kick Off)

Gate 4 Millennium Stadium
(Saturday only)

loratadine
03-03-06, 07:56 PM
how much are tickets?

el_tk
03-03-06, 08:15 PM
Originally posted by getofmeland@Mar 3 2006, 07:44 PM
Have you watched Bath recently, their backs have been fantastic, and they will keep getting better under Ashton.... I think that Bath have turned the corner, we have been successful in the Heiny Cup and Powergen Cup,

Your backs looked crap in both matches against Leinster, I don't fancy your chances in the knock-outs against more experienced European teams.

Boy
03-03-06, 08:39 PM
Originally posted by el_tk+Mar 4 2006, 08:15 AM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-getofmeland@Mar 3 2006, 07:44 PM
Have you watched Bath recently, their backs have been fantastic, and they will keep getting better under Ashton....* I think that Bath have turned the corner, we have been successful in the Heiny Cup and Powergen Cup,

Your backs looked crap in both matches against Leinster, I don&#39;t fancy your chances in the knock-outs against more experienced European teams. [/b]
Hence the word &#39;recently.&#39;

el_tk
03-03-06, 08:47 PM
Originally posted by Boy+Mar 3 2006, 09:39 PM-->

Originally posted by el_tk@Mar 4 2006, 08:15 AM
Have you watched Bath recently, their backs have been fantastic, and they will keep getting better under Ashton....* I think that Bath have turned the corner, we have been successful in the Heiny Cup and Powergen Cup,

Your backs looked crap in both matches against Leinster, I don&#39;t fancy your chances in the knock-outs against more experienced European teams.
Hence the word &#39;recently.&#39; [/b]
It still implied backline success in the HEC.

An Tarbh
03-03-06, 09:00 PM
I&#39;ve been more impressed with Bath in recent games, particularly with the backline, they looked to be in decent nick in the gloucester game, think they&#39;ll have too much for the Scarlets tomorow. Think the shockwaves of the ineptitude of the WRU will have spread further than the national team as well.

loratadine
03-03-06, 09:03 PM
cant see past a scarlets win

and good news - the scarlets are going to bring back that old tradition of hanging a bear from the posts wearing an english shirt.

cant wait - should be a great day of rugby - really great underdard with the wasps vs tigers game.

Bullitt
03-03-06, 11:03 PM
Wasps v Leicester teams

Wasps:

Wasps have opted to go with Josh Lewsey on the wing for their Powergen Cup semi-final against Leicester.

The two sides head to Cardiff&#39;s Millennium Stadium on Saturday as both semi-finals will be held in the Welsh capital.

Lewsey will make his first start of the season on the wing, with Mark van Gisbergen starting at full back for the clash.

Stuart Abbott and Fraser Waters will combine in the midfield, while Irish scrum half Eoin Reddan takes the number nine shirt ahead of Matt Dawson, who starts on the bench.

Lawrence Dallaglio returns to the number eight shirt to skipper the side, joining Joe Worsley and Jonny O&#39;Connor in a powerful back row line-up.

French hooker Raphael Ibanez returns to the starting XV, as does lock Simon Shaw, but Alex King is still missing due to a fractured thumb meaning Jeremy Staunton continues at fly-half.

Wasps team:

............................15 M Van Gisbergen

14 J Lewsey......13 F Waters.......12 S Abbott...............11 T Voyce

...............................10 J Staunton

..........................................9 E Reddan

.................................................. ..8 L Dallaglio (capt)

..............7 J O&#39;Connor.......................................... .........6 J Worsley

.....................................5 R Birkett...............4 S Shaw

.................3 T Payne............... 2 R Ibanez...................1 A McKenzie

Replacements: J Barrett, J Dawson, G Skivington, J Haskell, M Dawson, J Brooks, A Erinle.

Leicester:

The Tigers will be out for revenge after defeat in last year&#39;s Premiership Grand Final at the hands of Wasps, who claimed a third straight league title.

Leicester coach Pat Howard will look to the experienced members of his squad for the big game, with Austin Healy set to start at scrum-half in place of England&#39;s Harry Ellis.

Howard welcomes back six internationals to his starting XV following the Six Nations, with England skipper Martin Corry back for what is a mouth-watering clash with opposition number eight Dallaglio.

Geordan Murphy, Lewis Moody, Julian White Andy Goode and George Chuter all return, while Dan Hipkiss is back after four games out with injury.

Ollie Smith will have to miss the game with a neck injury, while Will Johnson, Ian Humphreys and Luke Abraham miss out on the 22 after playing in the Guinness Premiership at Newcastle last week.

Leicester (from):

...........................................15 S Vesty

14 G Murphy.........13 D Hipkiss...........12 L Lloyd.........11 T Varndell

...............................10 A Goode

.....................................9 A Healey; (Wiggy! Speaking of being too old!!! :lol:)

...............................................8 M Corry (capt)

.....................7 L Moody......................................6 S Jennings

.................................5 B Kay.....................4 L Deacon

..............3 J White.................2 G Chuter.................1 G Rowntree

Replacements: J Buckland, M Holford, L Collen, H Tuilagi, H Ellis, M Cornwell, A Tuilagi.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

I&#39;ll go out on a whim and say Wasps will win the cup overall. Leicester are on poor form and it&#39;s a strong Buckingham side that&#39;s been put out.

Boy
03-03-06, 11:18 PM
Originally posted by loratadine@Mar 4 2006, 09:03 AM
and good news - the scarlets are going to bring back that old tradition of hanging a bear from the posts wearing an english shirt.

Yes, it&#39;s an old tradition, but only between Llanelli and Bath, and it&#39;s actually a rag doll. It won&#39;t be wearing an England kit, but a Scarlets kit, as they won the last encounter between the two teams a few years ago in the Heineken Cup.

History Of The Rag Doll (http://www.bathrugby.com/23_4867.php)

Boy
03-03-06, 11:24 PM
Originally posted by el_tk+Mar 4 2006, 08:47 AM-->

Originally posted by Boy@Mar 3 2006, 09:39 PM

Originally posted by el_tk@Mar 4 2006, 08:15 AM

Your backs looked crap in both matches against Leinster, I don&#39;t fancy your chances in the knock-outs against more experienced European teams.
Hence the word &#39;recently.&#39;
It still implied backline success in the HEC. [/b]
We have been successful in the two cups, which is what he said, winning 8 out of 9. We&#39;ve scored six tries in the three PC pool games, and scored 18 tries in 6 HC matches.

loratadine
03-03-06, 11:32 PM
ahhhh thanks for clearing that up

An Tarbh
04-03-06, 02:16 PM
Cockerill stirring the **** even more with this whole Corry/Dallaglio debate saying that of course he would have kept him on and that he&#39;s a better player and a better bloke, didn&#39;t mince his words anyway. This could be quite a tasty game.

loratadine
04-03-06, 04:33 PM
well wasps are in final after beating the tigers 22-17

harrison2468
04-03-06, 05:14 PM
Terrible match, highlighting the problems in English rugby at the moment. Wasps should of won by more to be honest. Varndell still needs time while Abbott should play for England next week.

loratadine
04-03-06, 06:05 PM
16-7 to bath at half time

loratadine
04-03-06, 07:14 PM
scalerts 27

bath 26

so we get an anglo welsh final - the telling factor was the scarlets backs were too good.

harrison2468
04-03-06, 08:31 PM
Much better match, and a deserved win by the Scarlets. Grewcock being a bit silly again. Discipline lets him down sometimes. Easterby had a really good match IMO, unlucky not to get MOTM.

loratadine
04-03-06, 09:00 PM
popham was out of this world - really good ball carrier something the welsh side needs.

Boy
04-03-06, 09:16 PM
I don&#39;t know what&#39;s happened to Grewcock in the last couple of weeks. He&#39;s forgotten how he&#39;s been playing this season and gone back to his old ways.

Scarlets did deserve to win. Bath hardly had a sniff in the second half aside from Maddock&#39;s try. Higgins&#39; sin bin was totally unneccessary, and again highlights his poor temperament (although a knock-on could, and maybe should, have been given earlier). But even then, it was nothing that Easterby wasn&#39;t going at pretty much every breakdown in the first half.

I&#39;d just like to point out that in 17 years of watching rugby at The Rec, I have never once heard Bath fans boo whilst the opposition is preparing to kick. I&#39;d like to think that the boos today came from the remaining Wasps/Tigers fans and those who don&#39;t normally attend.

PeeJay
04-03-06, 09:18 PM
That was one of the most exciting games I&#39;ve seen in a long time, and made all the better by the fact that it was a Scarlets win :D

Black-Monday
04-03-06, 09:24 PM
I do hope Danny Grewcock will be cited for those countless amounts of off ball incidents, then hopefully a ban which stops him playing for England. I am even english and i hope then that will stop him doing it when it&#39;s important, for england. Putting us down to 14 as he has done on so many occasions.

BM

Boy
04-03-06, 09:32 PM
Originally posted by Black-Monday@Mar 5 2006, 09:24 AM
I do hope Danny Grewcock will be cited for those countless amounts of off ball incidents, then hopefully a ban which stops him playing for England. I am even english and i hope then that will stop him doing it when it&#39;s important, for england. Putting us down to 14 as he has done on so many occasions.

BM
By &#39;countless,&#39; you must mean two. There was the slap at a ruck in the first half and the stamping in the 2nd.

He&#39;s been sent off once for England, in the Dunedin test Vs NZ on the Tour Of Hell in &#39;97, and aside from his sin binning against Scotland last week, I can&#39;t think of another time in the last few years when he&#39;s been sent off for England. Saying he&#39;s done it on &#39;so many occassions&#39; is harsh, but as always, his reputation goes before him.

harrison2468
04-03-06, 09:34 PM
Wales last year for tryting to take Peel&#39;s face off?

Boy
04-03-06, 09:39 PM
Oh, yeah. Touche.

Still, his disciplinary record is no worse than Back, Johnson or Moody. His stamping today was totally unneccessary and action should be taken, but if anyone else had thrown that slap it wouldn&#39;t be talked about.

harrison2468
04-03-06, 09:45 PM
There is nothing wrong about playing on the edge, but Grewcock can just be careless sometimes. Moody was a penalty machine again today as well.

Meers played well again. Why the hell did AR drop him for Chuter last week - he looked very plain today in the Wasps match.

Boy
04-03-06, 10:38 PM
There was some talk that Mears got dropped because of Robinson&#39;s &#39;rotation&#39; policy. It must be a thorough policy; you rotate your replacement hooker who you&#39;ve given 15 mins total playing time in two games, and leave the least effective centre partnership in recent English memory.

gjohn85
05-03-06, 12:30 AM
What happened to Bell at the end? He was on the floor after full time?

What on earth has happened to Madden? Jesus hes gone HUGE!

loratadine
05-03-06, 03:28 AM
aparently gareth jenkins unlocked the fridge during the six nations.

Boy
05-03-06, 12:30 PM
Originally posted by gjohn85@Mar 5 2006, 12:30 PM
What happened to Bell at the end? He was on the floor after full time?
Apparently he&#39;s been struggling with an illness all week, and collapsed with a combo of dehydration and exhaustion. With Stevens and Barnes both out yesterday, and I think Filise inelligable, the only senior props we had were Bell, Flats (who isn&#39;t back to full fitness after 18 months out) and Christian Loader.

All credit to Belly for sticking at it. Just shows what type of match it was.

Bullitt
05-03-06, 04:14 PM
Didn&#39;t see the BAth/Lli game, but it was a bizzare feeling cheering on Wasps. The game wasn&#39;t a patch on their meeting at the lost cause, but a few things stood out for me;

- Dayglo demolished Corry.
- Lewsey is getting worse with each match.
- Abbott is the future of the England Centres.
- Without Lloyd or Varndell, Leicester wouldn&#39;t have even looked slightly dangerous.
- Chuter will be getting cited and banned in the near future for the stamp on Ibanez.
- Austin Healey should retire.
- Dawson is twice the scrum half Ellis will ever be. Hell, I&#39;m twice the scrum half Ellis will ever be.
- Jonny O&#39;Connor is getting better with every game.
- Shaw&#39;s chip and chase was one of this years rugby moments!

harrison2468
05-03-06, 05:17 PM
Originally posted by Teh Mite@Mar 5 2006, 04:14 PM
:lol: That was amazing. He should start next week just because of that.

Boy
05-03-06, 05:20 PM
I&#39;ve seen him drop a goal before, too. Think it was 2000/01 season Vs Bath at Loftus Road.

An Tarbh
05-03-06, 07:08 PM
Yeah was class alright, he seems to be in better form than Grewcock but with Andy Robinson form just doesn&#39;t seem to be a factor.

loratadine
05-03-06, 07:31 PM
no neither does discipline

Boy
05-03-06, 08:55 PM
Simple fact is that Shaw has never been able to convert his club form into international performances. Not sure how at 6&#39;10" and near 20st, but he just goes missing.

el_tk
05-03-06, 08:56 PM
Originally posted by Teh Mite@Mar 5 2006, 05:14 PM

He set up Leicester&#39;s first two tries and kept them in the game in the first half!

harrison2468
05-03-06, 09:02 PM
If he was a few years younger, then he would have the England 9 shirt wrapped up by now. However, he has no chance as he is going part-time next year.

When he chucked the ball at Dallalgio&#39;s face - that made me laugh! The interview at the beginning between him and Dawson was lame though.

An Tarbh
05-03-06, 09:43 PM
Healy was right about one thing though, Dawson is embarassingly bad on Question of Sport.

loratadine
05-03-06, 10:03 PM
there both *****

An Tarbh
05-03-06, 10:06 PM
If they wanted to **** Dawson off big time they could replace him with Healy, would certainly make better viewing anyway.

Bullitt
05-03-06, 10:13 PM
It could be worse though... There could be 2 Ally McCoist&#39;s! :o

loratadine
05-03-06, 10:31 PM
no - really nothing or nobody is worse than matt dawson

Boy
06-03-06, 09:25 AM
Originally posted by loratadine@Mar 6 2006, 10:03 AM
there both *****
First thing you&#39;ve said I agree with.

stormmaster1
06-03-06, 11:54 AM
Originally posted by Teh Mite@Mar 6 2006, 04:14 AM
Didn&#39;t see the BAth/Lli game, but it was a bizzare feeling cheering on Wasps. The game wasn&#39;t a patch on their meeting at the lost cause, but a few things stood out for me;

- Dayglo demolished Corry.
- Lewsey is getting worse with each match.
- Abbott is the future of the England Centres.
- Without Lloyd or Varndell, Leicester wouldn&#39;t have even looked slightly dangerous.
- Chuter will be getting cited and banned in the near future for the stamp on Ibanez.
- Dawson is twice the scrum half Ellis will ever be. Hell, I&#39;m twice the scrum half Ellis will ever be.
- Jonny O&#39;Connor is getting better with every game.
Dayglo demolished corry? When. I must have missed that bit. Both were ok in the lineout. Both made about as much yards running as any other forward on a day when defence was top. the only thing dayglo did that corry didn&#39;t was perform well when his scrum went back. But that&#39;s only because corry didn&#39;t have to. neither did brilliantly, neither did bad, but neither really got on top in a personal battle.

Agree with you about abbot. outside centre isn&#39;t such a problem for England as the inside role.

i also agree about Leicester generally not looking too dangerous, but i&#39;d say Vesty was probably most dangerous as well as Healey, who kept Leicester in the game. The reason tigers offence was so poor was that Goode had been ill all week and clearly wasn&#39;t performing well in any part of the game. That and the fact that Leicester don&#39;t have a quality replacement for gibson meant our backline didn&#39;t do a thing except for a few individual counters by murphy and vesty. That was the real difference between the sides. Wasps backline wasn&#39;t on form but at least they ran hard, straight and made some yardage.

Boy
06-03-06, 04:06 PM
Chuter&#39;s been cited for stamping on Ibanez. Grewcock got a caution, but no further action will be taken.

An Tarbh
06-03-06, 07:37 PM
Luckily enough for Grewcock that this was the Powergen Cup and not the HEC otherwise he really could have been in trouble. Always seems convenient when internationals get away with these things on the eve of a big match.

Boy
06-03-06, 07:46 PM
Well, Chuter won&#39;t be available this weekend in Paris, but it&#39;s not like he would get any game time anyway. Basically his citing just means that Mears will be called back up (which he deserves anyway).

Black-Monday
06-03-06, 08:38 PM
what did chuter do (any pics??) i missed that, on the banning thing. I think the rugby bodies are clever, they won&#39;t lose any money from having players not playing on international games. As there product never is banned.

BM