PDA

View Full Version : POWERGEN CUP FINAL

loratadine
06-04-06, 02:04 PM
dwayne peel and lee byrne will miss the game, but mark jones and alix popham are back in after picking up injuries

Scarlets Team:
15. Barry Davies; 14. Mark Jones; 13. Matthew J Watkins;
12. Regan King; 11. Dafydd James; 10. Mike Hercus;
9. Clive Stuart-Smith; 1. Phil John; 2. Matthew Rees;
3. John Davies; 4. Inoke Afeaki; 5. Adam Jones;
6. Simon Easterby ©; 7. Gavin Thomas;
8. Alix Popham
Replacements:
16. Martyn Madden; 17. Aled Gravelle; 18. Vernon Cooper;
19. Dafydd Jones; 20. Liam Davies; 21. Gareth Bowen;
22. Garan Evans

edinburgh_gunner
06-04-06, 02:15 PM
This game is live on the beeb isn't it?

Should be a good one, I'd expect Wasps to clinch it in the end but you never know with Llanelli.

loratadine
06-04-06, 02:32 PM
the scarlets will be an immense team next year, with stephen returning

edinburgh_gunner
06-04-06, 02:34 PM
Originally posted by loratadine@Apr 6 2006, 02:32 PM
I presume you mean Jones. Well they'll certainly be a good side next year, and that makes for a tasty Celtic League given that half the league would be capable of winning it! It'd be good for them to win the powergen cup, to show that the Celtic sides aren't useless.

loratadine
06-04-06, 03:07 PM
yeah and that would make the score 2-1 over wasps

SaintsFan_Webby
06-04-06, 03:46 PM
Wasps to grind out the result. I don't see it being a thrilling match for some reason, but I think they'll have too much up front.

Bullitt
06-04-06, 04:46 PM
I doubt Wasps will care about this one too much (it being a mikey mouse tournament, n'all), so I doubt they'll firld a full strenght team.

They'll still be far to much for the Welsh though.

loratadine
06-04-06, 05:03 PM
the side they fielded against the tigers didnt look second string.

ass bandet

Bullitt
06-04-06, 05:13 PM
Originally posted by loratadine@Apr 6 2006, 05:03 PM

ass bandet
1, There's no need for name calling like that, especially when your the queer one.

And,

2. There's a bit more pride between Wasps and Leicester, IE the top 2 clubs in the UK, over a mid table celtic league side.

loratadine
06-04-06, 07:10 PM
not mid table for long you f***ing ******

SaintsFan_Webby
06-04-06, 07:18 PM
Originally posted by loratadine@Apr 6 2006, 08:10 PM
not mid table for long you f***ing ******
What's got up your arse? No need for it really...

el_tk
06-04-06, 07:24 PM
Wasps will win, I don't think the Scarlets will be able to match them up front.

loratadine
06-04-06, 07:36 PM
i just think people are writing of the scarlets way too quickly and it ****** me of that this compo has had no repect from anyone.

SaintsFan_Webby
06-04-06, 07:38 PM
Originally posted by loratadine@Apr 6 2006, 08:36 PM
it ****** me of that this compo has had no repect from anyone.
It's the equivilant of taking away the FA Cup, and trying the sell a competition such as the League Cup in its place. What do you expect? English fans used to like seeing the smaller clubs go head-to-head with with the Premiership giants, and the clubs themselves prefer to focus on other competitions. It doesn't have anyones full respect at the moment.

Black-Monday
06-04-06, 07:49 PM
It is very much like the C and G trophy in cricket, they took away the 'open to all clubs' KO format.

For a money making group system, just like the 'gay' Champions league.

It takes away money and exposure for minor amateur clubs and gives it to new members such as the welsh regions.

Is your own cup and HEC not good enough?

BM

edinburgh_gunner
06-04-06, 08:43 PM
Originally posted by loratadine@Apr 6 2006, 05:03 PM

ass bandet
First of all, calm down.

Secondly, you can't even spell a basic word. It's bandit, not bandet.

To be honest, I'd be surprised if the Scarlets could scrape 4th in the CL this year...they've just been off the mark for too long. No one is saying their not a good side, they're just saying that the Wasps are better...which is true.

Seriouly, just learn to accept that Wales aren't an all powerful dominating rugby nation!! Calm down and accept other's opinions and people might stop having a problem with you.

harrison2468
06-04-06, 08:54 PM
I just think Wasps are too good at these big matches, and I expect them to win, but I can Scarlets pusing them at times in the backs.

Boy
06-04-06, 10:08 PM
Changing the competition robbed the fans of the lower clubs, and only served to ring-fence the top clubs. The tragedy is that there won't be any repeats of Pertemps Bees beating Wasps away, or when Waterloo beat Bath in the early '90s. Quins probably would have pushed the GP teams if it had stayed in its original format.

The only reason Sunday's final will be interesting will be to see if Wasps can actually win a tournament by being the best team in it and trying to win every game, unlike the past three years' Premierships.

loratadine
06-04-06, 10:40 PM
the reason the scarlets have been mid table for so long is that they has likt foru games in hand on everyone, the scarlets should finnish above the gunners.

edinburgh_gunner
07-04-06, 06:30 AM
Originally posted by loratadine@Apr 6 2006, 10:40 PM
the reason the scarlets have been mid table for so long is that they has likt foru games in hand on everyone, the scarlets should finnish above the gunners.
You keep harping on about these games in hand, but they need to win them don't they? Also, it's only 3 in hand. And who are those games against? Munster will beat them, Leinster should beat them and Ok, they should take 4, maybe 5 against the Ospreys. So at best they'll probably only get 5 points from a possible 15. Then they also would need to beat us at Murrayfield, which only the two best sides in the league have managed thus far. Then of course, we'd need to loose almost every game from here on in.

Your predictions are cack anyway, so I take whatever you say with a pinch of salt.

stormmaster1
07-04-06, 08:09 AM
Wasps are overall the better side than the scarlets and have developed the knack of winning big matches in knockout competitions over the past few years. It will be a tough ask for the scarlets to win, but i don't think they are that far behind to not get a shot. They are a passionate side and i have no doubt that as many welsh rugby fans as possible will be there to cheer them on. They are the underdogs and i'm expecting either a heroic defeat or a memorable victory against a well organised and clinical Wasps side. If they win it will be through matching them upfront and getting it wide effectively to get round the blitz defence.

loratadine
07-04-06, 09:34 AM
the scarlets are more than capable of beating munster at home.

stormmaster1
07-04-06, 10:05 AM
The scarlets are capable of all 3 wins, but could conceiveably suffer 3 losses. I think that they will get 1 win maybe two, and probably a bonus point somewhere. That seems likely, but it's not like anyone ever upsets the odds in rugby is it?

loratadine
07-04-06, 10:10 AM
i think the scarlets are in quite a good position to make a late serge, i think they can get into the top 4, but it would be hard to over haul ulster.
but i hope they do as the cl has never left wales.

edinburgh_gunner
07-04-06, 11:21 AM
Originally posted by loratadine@Apr 7 2006, 10:10 AM
i think the scarlets are in quite a good position to make a late serge, i think they can get into the top 4, but it would be hard to over haul ulster.
but i hope they do as the cl has never left wales.
Yeah they will help to make an interesting end to the season, and who knows they may cause some upsets (and help our title push if we can get it back on track tonight) but I doubt they could win it.

I take it you mean the CL has never metaphorically left Wales, given that Leinster and Munster have won it.

DonBilly
07-04-06, 11:30 AM
Originally posted by loratadine@Apr 6 2006, 03:32 PM
Let's wait and see.

Bullitt
07-04-06, 01:17 PM
How the f*** did this thread desend into the Celtic League?

loratadine
07-04-06, 01:48 PM
i mean with the new format, not the two leagues of six with the top 2 going into the playoffs

i mean since its become one big league

loratadine
07-04-06, 01:50 PM
heres the second string wasps team

i got to be honest and say how shocked i am that theyve picked a side with so little sexperience, its pretty much their school boy side, and to me shows that they arent taking the threat of the scarlets at all seriously.

Wasps: Van Gisbergen; Sackey, Lewsey, Abbott, Voyce; Staunton, Reddan; McKenzie, Ibanez, Payne; Shaw, Birkett; Worsley, O¿Connor, Dallaglio (capt).
Replacements: Ward, Bracken, Leo, Haskell, Dawson, King, Erinle.

edinburgh_gunner
07-04-06, 02:20 PM
Originally posted by loratadine@Apr 7 2006, 01:50 PM
heres the second string wasps team

i got to be honest and say how shocked i am that theyve picked a side with so little sexperience, its pretty much their school boy side, and to me shows that they arent taking the threat of the scarlets at all seriously.

Wasps: Van Gisbergen; Sackey, Lewsey, Abbott, Voyce; Staunton, Reddan; McKenzie, Ibanez, Payne; Shaw, Birkett; Worsley, O¿Connor, Dallaglio (capt).
Replacements: Ward, Bracken, Leo, Haskell, Dawson, King, Erinle.
Sarcasism is the lowest form of wit....

loratadine
07-04-06, 02:30 PM
and arrogance is the lowest form of a human trait...

cavan
07-04-06, 03:21 PM
and arrogance is the lowest form of a human trait... [/b]

Ah yes that ancient saying!

Where do you get this stuff from Lora?! It's gold! :D

loratadine
07-04-06, 04:05 PM
my head

harrison2468
07-04-06, 04:58 PM
Is Tom Rees still injured or something?

harrison2468
09-04-06, 12:30 PM
I'm think the players I'll be watching closely today will be Popham and King for Scarlets, and McKenzie and Voyce (to see how right or wrong I was about him).

A big game for McKenzie could help him earn a call up for the Summer, considering how stretched our prop resources will be.

edinburgh_gunner
09-04-06, 01:15 PM
The game isn't live in Scotland...instead we have athletics and tennis....big wow. Thankfully, I can watch it live on the internet from ScrumV I think.

harrison2468
09-04-06, 01:24 PM
I hope you can because I anticipate a good match today.

gjohn85
09-04-06, 01:33 PM
Originally posted by edinburgh_gunner@Apr 9 2006, 01:15 PM
The game isn't live in Scotland...instead we have athletics and tennis....big wow. Thankfully, I can watch it live on the internet from ScrumV I think.
Have you got Sky TV? Cos If you have, you can get BBC Wales on the t.v list somewhere (I think its 800-900 region)

I remember last autumn internationals where I wanted to watch Scotland v Argentina, but it wasn't on BBC wales, So I found BBC Scotland & watched the match.

Black-Monday
09-04-06, 01:40 PM
I do that frequently, watch different channels for rugby. BBC wales is great for showing rugby, a game pretty much every friday. Also S4C is good, it offers HEC highlights and some live CL games, but one slight problem, its all in welsh.

When is the coverage gonna start, I am sat watching the boring masters!

BM

edinburgh_gunner
09-04-06, 01:42 PM
Originally posted by gjohn85+Apr 9 2006, 01:33 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-edinburgh_gunner@Apr 9 2006, 01:15 PM
The game isn&#39;t live in Scotland...instead we have athletics and tennis....big wow.* Thankfully, I can watch it live on the internet from ScrumV I think.
Have you got Sky TV? Cos If you have, you can get BBC Wales on the t.v list somewhere (I think its 800-900 region)

I remember last autumn internationals where I wanted to watch Scotland v Argentina, but it wasn&#39;t on BBC wales, So I found BBC Scotland & watched the match. [/b]
Yeah I do but me maw never lets anyone else use it cause she always wants to watch some crap about something pointless. Is it a 3.00pm Kick off?

edinburgh_gunner
09-04-06, 02:01 PM
Got it streaming, but there&#39;s no sound which is a bugger. So I&#39;ll be watching this and writing an essay on social security, the NHS and education at the same time! Fun all the way!

PeeJay
09-04-06, 02:08 PM
Bad luck on Jonny O&#39;Connor. Just got hit with a stinger by Alix Popham. Out cold :(

Good to see that Alix isn&#39;t holding back with his challenges though :D

PeeJay
09-04-06, 02:28 PM
Barry Davies = Legend

Just skipped past the challenge of Staunton, beat van Gisbergen for pace and then Tom Voyce missed an ankle tap for Davies to score the try. Hercus converted.

7-0

Wasps penalised for holding on, then the penalty is moved forward 10 yards for dissent. Hercus misses from 40 yards.

7-0

edinburgh_gunner
09-04-06, 02:46 PM
10-3 now, a penalty from either side.

O&#39; Connor put into next week. Looks like it&#39;s gonna be a physical game.

edinburgh_gunner
09-04-06, 02:54 PM
Voyce has just scored from an interception.

10-8 with a simple conversion to come.

PeeJay
09-04-06, 03:12 PM
And now the ref&#39;s injured!

PeeJay
09-04-06, 03:24 PM
Dammit! Another Voyce try!

harrison2468
09-04-06, 03:45 PM
This game has been a let down to be honest. Error count too high for both sides, and it is just becoming a bore to watch.

McKenzie was poor as well, very greedy. I just hope O&#39;Connor and Easterby are alright.

Boy
09-04-06, 03:59 PM
As accidental as the injuries to O&#39;Connor and Easterby were, both were completely avoidable. Each was caused by the tackler being too upright going into contact. The first thing you&#39;re taught when you&#39;re learning to tackle is to go low and put your shoulder on the ball-carriers&#39; hip, but you hardly ever see this in professional rugby. If Popham had been lower, O&#39;Connor&#39;s head wouldn&#39;t have been trapped, and if Easterby was lower he wouldn&#39;t have smashed his head into MVG&#39;s shoulder.

They were two unfortunate incidents, but are symptomatic of modern professional rugby and people searching for big hits instead of being technically sound.

edinburgh_gunner
09-04-06, 04:02 PM
Easterby was seen to be moving around and watching the game from the touchline, so he&#39;ll be OK.

Yeah it wasn&#39;t a great match and Llanelli weren&#39;t really in it from the end of the first half. Llanelli just seemed to rush it too much and they made basic errors, though I&#39;ll give them that the weather didn&#39;t help. Wasps had too much for them in the end.

Black-Monday
09-04-06, 04:18 PM
That game was such a bore I fell asleep :zzz: , missed the last few kicks at the end, I woke up to find Mark Madden! :blink:

I thought the ball was going to be thrown around like Bath&#39;s semi, but in the end it was like watching a boring football game.

Also I am really starting to dislike Alix Popham, he just looks like a right smarmy git with his girly blond hair. He tries to impose himself on the game too much with &#39;hits&#39; but not good tackling. Does he ever actually tackle?

This game wasn&#39;t a good one for the Irish, O&#39;Connor,Easterby and Lewis got injured, and Staunton was utter ****.

Oh well roll on next year.

BM

SaintsFan_Webby
09-04-06, 04:21 PM
Originally posted by Black-Monday@Apr 9 2006, 05:18 PM
and Staunton was utter ****.
Staunton is utter ****. No idea why they signed him, he was **** at Quins and they got relegated, suprised they didn&#39;t learn from that.

Dull game, as I predicted (Los Lover eat your heart out :rolleyes: ).

Wasps forwards just had too much power, and Llanelli&#39;s backs were pedestrian. Hercus was ****, seen him turn in far better performances.

Black-Monday
09-04-06, 04:35 PM
Wales had better hope that Jenkins will be more imaginative if he got the job, nothing was tried against the blitz. Surely they could be a bit more imaginative, but that was down to poor half backs.

Dallaglio also looked pedestrian, Easterby had him until he went off and that turned the game.

MVG also looked rather average, if you could find me any more full backs who think they can kick I&#39;ll explode. He offers the defensive and offensive capalities of a dead fish, useless.

Did Mark Jones even get the ball, as it seemed the scarlet midfield thought, &#39;ah some blitz, lets knock on.&#39;

I&#39;ll think of some more points on which I am angry about, actually thought of one. Shoot Brian Moore, useless old school *******. He can&#39;t commentate on a game of tiddly winks before complaining.

Bm

SaintsFan_Webby
09-04-06, 04:44 PM
Originally posted by Black-Monday@Apr 9 2006, 05:35 PM
Shoot Brian Moore, useless old school *******. He can&#39;t commentate on a game of tiddly winks before complaining.
Brian Moore is the best commentator the Beeb have had since McLaren. By a mile.

I think his comments are hilarious, he tells it exactly how it is.

Butler - "Davies can kick the ball even further than Gavin Henson"

Moore - "How interesting"

:lol:

He also knows a heck of a lot (more than me anyway) about forward play, so his analysis is good to listen to.

el_tk
09-04-06, 05:02 PM
Staunton is a joke of a player.

Hercus&#39; interception was so funny when he saw the open space in front of him and the Wasps players chasing back and just panicked and ended up throwing that bull**** pass inside to Jones.

Boy
09-04-06, 05:12 PM
Brian Moore gives an insight into front row play that no other commentator matches (including those on Sky).

Butler&#39;s an arse though. I&#39;m surprised the BBC or Sky hasn&#39;t gone after John Taylor who only seems to commentate on the RWC every four years with ITV. God knows what he does in between tournaments.

harrison2468
09-04-06, 06:04 PM
Originally posted by Black-Monday@Apr 9 2006, 04:35 PM
MVG also looked rather average, if you could find me any more full backs who think they can kick I&#39;ll explode. He offers the defensive and offensive capalities of a dead fish, useless.

He may of had a bad game today, but that is very harsh.

Black-Monday
09-04-06, 07:08 PM
I have one more negative comment and then I&#39;ll apologise, but some are true. I have a dislike for Brian Moore, but you may like him.

Also, I have seen MVG alot and he nothing better than what is around at the moment. Without the kicking he wouldn&#39;t make the wasps starting lineup.

Anyway Llanelli really need Stephen Jones, why do think Sale Sharks shipped out Hercus?

BM

PeeJay
09-04-06, 07:15 PM
When we get Stephen back, we will be pretty immense. Great half-backs, great centres, great back three, great second row and a great back row. Even our front row ain&#39;t half bad.

harrison2468
09-04-06, 07:42 PM
BM, who would you suggest is better though for fullback for England?

I&#39;m suprised no one has commented on Lewsey yet. His contact skills today were really bad for him.

Black-Monday
09-04-06, 07:55 PM
I couldn&#39;t say anyone was out and out better, but he is not of International quality. Other countries all have better players, but England lack quality openside&#39;s and Full Back&#39;s.

Here are &#39;English&#39; Full backs I prefer to MVG

Robinson
Lewsey
Balshaw
Perry
Armitage

Problem is not of them are in a state to play for England, Either being retired, Confidence Shattered, Permanently Crocked, out of picture and overlooked.

BM

loratadine
09-04-06, 09:04 PM
poor game, really was alet down. the rain f***ed it up, plus watkins played like a tit, and hercus is ****. hes nearly as bad as shaun connor

Ripper
10-04-06, 05:35 AM
I worship the Staunton for some strange reason... probably because he is a beast on Rugby 05/06.

I&#39;m sure the Blues would give up some decent players in exchange... maybe... Tasea Lave? No? Yes?

MightyQuin
10-04-06, 01:58 PM
Can&#39;t say I was that impressed with Staunton to be honest - he was average with Quins last season, and doesn&#39;t seem to be shining at Wasps either.

Abbot on the other hand looked very strong, his line for the try in the 2nd half was excellent - looking forward to him joining Quins next season.

To be honest, I thought the Quins/Bedford and Wasps/Llanelli matches were both pretty poor - although the terrible weather was partly to blame for the latter, and a referee who seemed to think we all wanted to watch him reset endless scrums and listen to his whistle ruined the first.

gjohn85
10-04-06, 10:09 PM
Originally posted by Ripper@Apr 10 2006, 05:35 AM
I worship the Staunton for some strange reason... probably because he is a beast on Rugby 05/06.

I&#39;m sure the Blues would give up some decent players in exchange... maybe... Tasea Lave? No? Yes?
Yeah, I agree. I have never seen Staunton play. He is an awesome player on rugby 05 & 06, I let down by who poor he did play.

Cymro
10-04-06, 10:50 PM
Must say that Gareth Jenkins is utter crap as a coach. If he becomes in charge of Wales their will be a Scartletts XV for Wales each game.

PeeJay
10-04-06, 10:57 PM
Doubt it. GJ knows that there are much better forwards out there than the sacks of poo we&#39;ve got at Stradey

loratadine
10-04-06, 11:08 PM
gareth jenkins is a good coach. i like jenkins as he seems to wear his heart on his sleeve. i have no doubt the phil davies could do a good job with wales, but at the moment i think jenkins is the man for the job.

Job
12-04-06, 12:45 PM
I do tbelieve that jenkins would be good for the job. He show s the rignt welsh flair needed to help Wales get back on track. I disagree with cyrmo, the scarlets XV are too weak to play at an international level. He would be critised for not using such talent form the other club teams. I cant see any coach leaving out S. Williams and M.Willaims from the welsh squad. I think you should not just think about your club and think about wales. You know that there are great welsh players in The blues side and that missing them out would be stupid. And think you also know that a blues side on thier own could not compete on the international level. You should step back and help encourage the new coach of wales, who ever it might be.