PDA

View Full Version : Matt Dawson to retire

robbinho
07-04-06, 10:01 AM
...ning scrum-half - BBC (http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_union/4886212.stm)

Great waste of a 6 nations where a genuine World Cup contender could have been given some valuable experience, rather than this gobby, Sue Barker-knobbing, walking-talking piece of self-agrandisement.

harrison2468
07-04-06, 10:06 AM
What a cock-up on the England management's part and also his, he obviously knew beforehand.

Not all bad, as it will open the door for Richards and Perry to tour.

EDIT: Found this about Perry;http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_unio...ish/4854026.stm (http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_union/english/4854026.stm)

loratadine
07-04-06, 10:13 AM
great news, one less big mouthed **** in our game.

Flamingo
07-04-06, 10:21 AM
About bloody time

SaintsFan_Webby
07-04-06, 11:35 AM
One of the best scrum halves of the modern era, and at his peak, arguably one of the best 9's the game has ever produced.

Here he is owning Dwayne Peel as an old man...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/wales/scrumv/images/wales/6n_2005/wales_england/scrumhalves.jpg

In action for Saints in their European Cup winning year...

http://www.scrum.com/images/dawsrep.jpg http://news.bbc.co.uk/olmedia/735000/images/_737407_dawson150.jpg

Who can forget Dawson's audacious try for the series winning Lions in '97?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/olmedia/1060000/images/_1060220_dawson150.jpg

He could kick a bit as well...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/olmedia/1060000/images/_1063340_dawson150.jpg

Firing out that pass to Wilkinsin in the World Cup final...

http://www.sportsphotography.net/rugbyunion/rugby2003/19/england/images/rwc1905.jpg

Not everyone may like him, but you'd have to be an idiot not to recognise his undisputable talent.

loratadine
07-04-06, 11:40 AM
yes but hes not as good as edwards, sid or gregan

stormmaster1
07-04-06, 12:04 PM
I never really liked him, but in his peak he was a very competitive player with a lot of nerve. For the Lions i will remember him for the '97 try, and for holding his nerve to convert Healey's try v ACt when the side whould never have been close. For England his sniping run and pass before the drop goal in the world cup final, and he will always be remembered by tigers fans as the gobby scrum half from northampton who liked to flap his arms alot.

harrison2468
07-04-06, 01:03 PM
I feel sorry for Dawson, as he was a good player in his time, but the last few years have put a stain on his career, and people will remember this more strongly as it is fresh in the mind.

One incident I will never forget though is his arguement with Budge Poutney in the Powergen Final a few years back.

SaintsFan_Webby
07-04-06, 01:37 PM
Originally posted by harrison2468@Apr 7 2006, 01:03 PM
One incident I will never forget though is his arguement with Budge Poutney in the Powergen Final a few years back.
It wasn't an argument, it was a misunderstanding hyped up by TV commentators. Read his autobiography and it turns out it was a nothing event.

Bullitt
07-04-06, 02:13 PM
Originally posted by loratadine@Apr 7 2006, 10:40 AM
Shut the f*** up, he's still twice the player Greegan ever was.

cavan
07-04-06, 04:14 PM
Great player....face facts when you play rugby you want your scrumhalf to be an annoying little c***, and Dawson was the best. A great Lion on the field in 1997 that all NH fans should appreciate and a great servant to English rugby.

edinburgh_gunner
07-04-06, 04:52 PM
Good player but a gobby ****e. Can't say I'm sad to see him go.

SaintsFan_Webby
07-04-06, 05:37 PM
Interesting that everyone fails to differentiate between his on-field persona (gobby and annoying), and his off-field one, where he is a nice, intelligent and articulate bloke.

harrison2468
07-04-06, 05:52 PM
Originally posted by SaintsFan_Webby+Apr 7 2006, 12:37 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-harrison2468@Apr 7 2006, 01:03 PM
It wasn&#39;t an argument, it was a misunderstanding hyped up by TV commentators. Read his autobiography and it turns out it was a nothing event. [/b]
I actually have his auto-biography, which I decided to get because it would be an interesting read based on his personality.

I&#39;ll have a look over it tonight. It was an arguement though, obviously both were frustrated by the way things panned out that day.

SaintsFan_Webby
07-04-06, 07:09 PM
Originally posted by harrison2468+Apr 7 2006, 05:52 PM-->

Originally posted by SaintsFan_Webby@Apr 7 2006, 12:37 PM
It wasn&#39;t an argument, it was a misunderstanding hyped up by TV commentators. Read his autobiography and it turns out it was a nothing event.
I actually have his auto-biography, which I decided to get because it would be an interesting read based on his personality.

I&#39;ll have a look over it tonight. It was an arguement though, obviously both were frustrated by the way things panned out that day. [/b]
From what I gathered, Dawson was just ****** off, wanted to speak to the ref, Budge tried to stop him, and Daws snapped at him.

Made out to be more than it was.

Black-Monday
07-04-06, 10:35 PM
I feel this is a loss for the English game, as Robinson now has an excuse to keep playing Harry Ellis, as he may see no real alternative(even if there is).

I personally think it will be a sad day when Austin Healey, he is a person after my own heart and is not one to keep his opinion in his feet, great man.

BM

Bullitt
07-04-06, 10:43 PM
Originally posted by SaintsFan_Webby@Apr 7 2006, 04:37 PM
Interesting that everyone fails to differentiate between his on-field persona (gobby and annoying), and his off-field one, where he is a nice, intelligent and articulate bloke.
Plesent enough off the firld, although I&#39;ll admit he does only find himself an interesting subject.

Cymro
07-04-06, 11:22 PM
Glad to see him go, one less aragant player playing. I think Dwayne Peel will always bea better scrum half than he will ever be.

However he did have some good moments look at the lion 97

SaintsFan_Webby
08-04-06, 09:26 AM
Originally posted by Cymro@Apr 7 2006, 11:22 PM
I think Dwayne Peel will always bea better scrum half than he will ever be.
Dwayne Peel is a great 9, but I don&#39;t think you can possibly say he will be better than Dawson at his peak.

Those people who saw Daws play week-in week-out will vouch for what a superb talent he was at the height of his game.

Bullitt
08-04-06, 09:34 AM
Originally posted by SaintsFan_Webby+Apr 8 2006, 08:26 AM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-Cymro@Apr 7 2006, 11:22 PM
I think Dwayne Peel will always bea better scrum half than he will ever be.
Dwayne Peel is a great 9, but I don&#39;t think you can possibly say he will be better than Dawson at his peak.

Those people who saw Daws play week-in week-out will vouch for what a superb talent he was at the height of his game. [/b]
Ah, but your forgetting he&#39;s a Pom/not Welsh, so he&#39;s not allowed to be regarded as a great Scrum Half.

:wall:

harrison2468
08-04-06, 11:07 AM
On the topic of the next England Sh, what do people think of Hodgson of London Irish? He has looked good whenever I have seen him play this year.

PeeJay
08-04-06, 12:59 PM
Would be cool to see Hodgson and Hodgson at 9 and 10 for England :D

harrison2468
08-04-06, 04:37 PM
:lol: It would be a commentator&#39;s nightmare, especially considering how often they would pass to each other.

sanzar
08-04-06, 11:37 PM
Originally posted by Teh Mite+Apr 8 2006, 12:13 AM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-loratadine@Apr 7 2006, 10:40 AM
Shut the f*** up, he&#39;s still twice the player Greegan ever was. [/b]
Bwahahahahahahahhahahahahaha are you serious??? Gregan may suck now, but in his prime he was 10 times the player Dawson ever was! Seriously, the guy was the most over-rated player in the NH!

Muse_Cubed
08-04-06, 11:51 PM
Dawson was one of the best scrum halves in the world in his time although he really did fade after the world cup. I&#39;ll never forget that Powergen Cup match in March &#39;03 where we pasted Irish by 30 points...Dawson back from injury and making breaks left, right and centre.

sanzar
09-04-06, 12:23 AM
Originally posted by Muse_Cubed@Apr 9 2006, 09:51 AM
Dawson was one of the best scrum halves in the world in his time although he really did fade after the world cup. I&#39;ll never forget that Powergen Cup match in March &#39;03 where we pasted Irish by 30 points...Dawson back from injury and making breaks left, right and centre.
He was still a fair bit behind Marshall and Gregan though when they were in thier prime. It&#39;s great to put a big score on Ireland, but apart from the tiny laps of England success in the years around the RWC, he never put the All Blacks in doubt in the way Gregan used to... Gregan was the bane of All Blacks sides for the best part of a decade before fading, and if you can be that damaging to the All Blacks, then you&#39;ve got some braging rights.

Ashton
09-04-06, 01:10 AM
Nice to see the Welsh being their usual bitter selves. Dawson has been a great servant to both English and British Lions rugby, people should appreciate that.

Just because Wales havent got any players with a bit of character (call it arrogance if you will), I mean look at Henson the bloke has as much charisma as a stick of celerly

Bullitt
09-04-06, 10:03 AM
Originally posted by sanzar+Apr 8 2006, 10:37 PM-->

Originally posted by Teh Mite@Apr 8 2006, 12:13 AM
Shut the f*** up, he&#39;s still twice the player Greegan ever was.
Bwahahahahahahahhahahahahaha are you serious??? Gregan may suck now, but in his prime he was 10 times the player Dawson ever was! Seriously, the guy was the most over-rated player in the NH! [/b]
Who owned who when both were in their prime, lets say, oooh, 3-5 years ago?

Yeah, STFU.

Canadian_Rugger
10-04-06, 05:31 PM
this is why I love being from a tier two nation as I can put my stupid nationalistic tendencies behind me when looking at who is the best scrum half in the world.

This msg is directed to all the dumb welsh retards on this site who are constantly trying to convince me how superior they are to the rest of the world in rugby prowess. :toss:

PeeJay
10-04-06, 06:12 PM
I love sweeping generalisations, don&#39;t you?

SaintsFan_Webby
10-04-06, 06:13 PM
Originally posted by PeeJay@Apr 10 2006, 06:12 PM
Blame certain members of the board.

I&#39;m sure you can guess who. :rolleyes:

;)

Cymro
10-04-06, 08:06 PM
Dont think we are trying to make ourself look big. But im sorry Matt Dawson was great but I still feel that Dwayne Peel will always be better.

To be honest I think Perry will be better than him.

SaintsFan_Webby
10-04-06, 08:14 PM
Originally posted by Cymro@Apr 10 2006, 08:06 PM
Dont think we are trying to make ourself look big.* But im sorry Matt Dawson was great but I still feel that Dwayne Peel will always be better.
Peel is not yet as good as Dawson was at his peak. He definately has the potential to get there, but speaking honestly, as someone who saw him performing every week at club as well as international level, Daws was a world class player, and would have graced any side.

harrison2468
10-04-06, 08:23 PM
Originally posted by Cymro@Apr 10 2006, 07:06 PM
Dont think we are trying to make ourself look big. But im sorry Matt Dawson was great but I still feel that Dwayne Peel will always be better.

To be honest I think Perry will be better than him.
Perry is a great scrum-half, and should be the next England scrum half, but he still has a way to go before he gets to becoming as good as Dawson was and achieving what he has.

The sad thing about Perry is he is already 27, and this is his first season as a professional! If age was on his side,

Flamingo
10-04-06, 09:24 PM
i used to like dawson... but he lost his pace during the last couple of years.... i dont like scrum halves without pace..... i liked his try for the lions in &#39;97

Canadian_Rugger
11-04-06, 12:27 AM
Originally posted by PeeJay@Apr 11 2006, 05:12 AM
the reason I make this generalization is because almost all the welsh are guilty of this on this board. Patriotism is one thing but putting it ahead of rationality is another thing. I think you all need to take a philosophy class in Wales or something so they can teach about logic and rationality before the idiots on this board who represent Welsh rugby open their mouth.

Canadian_Rugger
11-04-06, 12:31 AM
I mean commong your comparing Dwayne Peel a man who has only stepped onto the International scene in the past 2 years or so too a man who has had an illustrious career. Until Peel becomes a World Cup winning, multiple 6 nations, lions, club superstar and a man truely in a league of his own like names like Dawson, Gregan, Marshall you can take a step back and shut your f***ing pie holes because he does not come even close to comparing.

DC
11-04-06, 01:29 AM
Originally posted by harrison2468+Apr 8 2006, 04:52 AM-->

Originally posted by SaintsFan_Webby@Apr 7 2006, 12:37 PM
It wasn&#39;t an argument, it was a misunderstanding hyped up by TV commentators. Read his autobiography and it turns out it was a nothing event.

I&#39;ll have a look over it tonight. It was an arguement though, obviously both were frustrated by the way things panned out that day. [/b]
i have it as well, im about 200 pages through excellent read!

well goodbye to one of my all time favourite scrum halves, he&#39;s the one ive tried to model my game after..

sanzar
11-04-06, 01:47 AM
Originally posted by Teh Mite+Apr 9 2006, 08:03 PM-->

Originally posted by sanzar@Apr 8 2006, 10:37 PM

Bwahahahahahahahhahahahahaha are you serious??? Gregan may suck now, but in his prime he was 10 times the player Dawson ever was! Seriously, the guy was the most over-rated player in the NH!

Yeah, STFU. [/b]
Gregan was at his best between 99-01 buddy ;) Remember what happened in those years? Oh yeah, we won the World Cup and sent the Lions packing :bleh!: .

Yeah, that&#39;s right, Stuff You Buddy :bana: .

Ripper
11-04-06, 08:22 AM
I would hardly call beating the Lions 2-1 in the series, in which you only one because of a Jonny Wilkinson intercept and one bad line out "sending them packing".

Cymro
11-04-06, 11:47 AM
Originally posted by Canadian_Rugger@Apr 11 2006, 12:31 AM
I mean commong your comparing Dwayne Peel a man who has only stepped onto the International scene in the past 2 years or so too a man who has had an illustrious career. Until Peel becomes a World Cup winning, multiple 6 nations, lions, club superstar and a man truely in a league of his own like names like Dawson, Gregan, Marshall you can take a step back and shut your f***ing pie holes because he does not come even close to comparing.
Well Peel can allready vouch in his small international career a Lions Tour in which he started, club superstar and a Grand Slam Victory.

Dawson did not even start in the Lions Tour last year!

i think it wont be to long before he joins the elitle club.

Im not being bigheaded im just stating the fact that Peel WILL be better than Dawson.

harrison2468
11-04-06, 12:21 PM
Originally posted by Cymro+Apr 11 2006, 10:47 AM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-Canadian_Rugger@Apr 11 2006, 12:31 AM
I mean commong your comparing Dwayne Peel a man who has only stepped onto the International scene in the past 2 years or so too a man who has had an illustrious career.* Until Peel becomes a World Cup winning, multiple 6 nations, lions, club superstar and a man truely in a league of his own like names like Dawson, Gregan, Marshall you can take a step back and shut your f***ing pie holes because he does not come even close to comparing.
Well Peel can allready vouch in his small international career a Lions Tour in which he started, club superstar and a Grand Slam Victory.

Im not being bigheaded im just stating the fact that Peel WILL be better than Dawson. [/b]
But Dawson has been involved in a successful Lions Tour, and played a key role in it.

Peel maybe better than Dawson, but it is hardly fact.

Canadian_Rugby_Guy
11-04-06, 03:28 PM
Dawson&#39;s really really really good, but I concur with Canuck partner Peel is still young, and the welsh on this forum are really exaggerating his abilities. He is not a Jedi yet. You know who is though? Canadian scrum half Morgan Williams. http://www.rugbyheaven.smh.com.au/ffxImage/urlpicture_id_1063625215204_2003/09/19/2009-canada.jpg

Canadian_Rugby_Guy
11-04-06, 03:32 PM
Ok so I&#39;m a little prejudiced. What do you expect?

Cymro
11-04-06, 06:56 PM
Originally posted by harrison2468+Apr 11 2006, 12:21 PM-->

Originally posted by Cymro@Apr 11 2006, 10:47 AM
I mean commong your comparing Dwayne Peel a man who has only stepped onto the International scene in the past 2 years or so too a man who has had an illustrious career.* Until Peel becomes a World Cup winning, multiple 6 nations, lions, club superstar and a man truely in a league of his own like names like Dawson, Gregan, Marshall you can take a step back and shut your f***ing pie holes because he does not come even close to comparing.

Im not being bigheaded im just stating the fact that Peel WILL be better than Dawson.
But Dawson has been involved in a successful Lions Tour, and played a key role in it.

Peel maybe better than Dawson, but it is hardly fact. [/b]
A tour in which Sir Clive Woodward did 3 wrong things.

1)Picked the wrong squad
2)Did not pick the infrom players
3)Opened his mouth on how he was going to have a better tour than Hendry did last time.

At the time he only picked a few real inform player and one was Peel who had a good tour.

Bullitt
11-04-06, 07:11 PM
Originally posted by sanzar+Apr 11 2006, 12:47 AM-->

Originally posted by Teh Mite@Apr 9 2006, 08:03 PM

Originally posted by sanzar@Apr 8 2006, 10:37 PM

Yeah, STFU.
Gregan was at his best between 99-01 buddy ;) Remember what happened in those years? Oh yeah, we won the World Cup and sent the Lions packing :bleh!: .

Yeah, that&#39;s right, Stuff You Buddy :bana: . [/b]
Right... K...

So when exactly did the bald headed whinging bitch own the old aged whinging bitch?

harrison2468
11-04-06, 07:16 PM
Originally posted by Cymro+Apr 11 2006, 05:56 PM-->

Originally posted by harrison2468@Apr 11 2006, 12:21 PM

Originally posted by Cymro@Apr 11 2006, 10:47 AM

Peel maybe better than Dawson, but it is hardly fact.
A tour in which Sir Clive Woodward did 3 wrong things.

1)Picked the wrong squad
2)Did not pick the infrom players
3)Opened his mouth on how he was going to have a better tour than Hendry did last time.

At the time he only picked a few real inform player and one was Peel who had a good tour. [/b]
I&#39;m not arguing the fact the Lions tour was a shambles or that Peel is good/performed well-ish, but the point I&#39;m making is Dawson has a successful Lions tour (which was against the WC at the time), along with other achievements, including Heinenken and World Cups, along with a few GS.

Canadian_Rugger
11-04-06, 09:15 PM
your comparing apples and oranges cymro Dawson is a man at the end of career while Peel is only starting to come into his own only time will tell if he will lvie up to the likes of Dawson, Gregan, Marshall etc

Honestly its like anything that happened before the Grand Slam is completely irrelevant to you Welsh not too mention everything that has happened after the Grand Slam such as your incredibly poor form.

Cymro
11-04-06, 10:42 PM
I think you need to read inbetween the lines Canadian_Rugger!

Once again without sounding bigheaded and moany

Wales lost 9 players during the 6 Nations. We did well to field some sort of side. Even Eddie O&#39;Sullivan said that if Ireland had many injuries as Wales did then they woould not have been able to field a side

We lost a VERY good coach. In which I know the true reasons. Its down to Gareth Thomas that we are in this position!

gjohn85
11-04-06, 10:51 PM
Originally posted by Cymro@Apr 11 2006, 09:42 PM
I think you need to read inbetween the lines Canadian_Rugger!

Once again without sounding bigheaded and moany

Wales lost 9 players during the 6 Nations. We did well to field some sort of side. Even Eddie O&#39;Sullivan said that if Ireland had many injuries as Wales did then they woould not have been able to field a side

We lost a VERY good coach. In which I know the true reasons. Its down to Gareth Thomas that we are in this position!
I wouldn&#39;t say Alfie, more like Scott Johnson or the WRU.

Cymro
11-04-06, 10:55 PM
NO No no, Alife was one of the main reasons why this incident happened. If you watched that Scrum V episode after all this happned then it was even clearer that he had something to hide!

Bullitt
11-04-06, 10:56 PM
Well, there&#39;s another thread that&#39;s gone 1000 miles off topic and turned into another debate about Wales....

*sigh*

Canadian_Rugby_Guy
12-04-06, 03:11 AM
That&#39;s fine. The welsh do have a lot of injuries. BUt what lines do you want him to read between seeing as I don&#39;t think I came accross any mention of these injuries previously in any other debate where the Welsh fans were like ya we won a grand slam recently we rule. Bravo to you guys for not totally getting mashed after losing nine players and a coach, but listening to you guys talk, you&#39;d think the Welsh team beat the All Blacks by 30 points with "the best scrum half in the world" Peel and "look at me, I&#39;m a tit" Henson. Don&#39;t get me wrong Bravo Dwayne Peel and the boys, but you appear very often to give yourselves really serious illusions about your team, and you&#39;ll forgive the rest of us for being a little irked.

harrison2468
12-04-06, 11:26 AM
Originally posted by Teh Mite@Apr 11 2006, 09:56 PM
Well, there&#39;s another thread that&#39;s gone 1000 miles off topic and turned into another debate about Wales....

*sigh*
Shall we go and talk about the World Cup win and the injuries that followed in this thread;

http://www.therugbyforum.com/index.php?showtopic=5766

Cymro
12-04-06, 05:27 PM
My last rant....

Ive never bigged Henson up, the ones who have ar utter fools for doing so.
All I said that Dawson was / is a good scrum half but I fell that Dwyane Peel is currently better and will continue to improve. Howver he is playng in a very poor Scarletts side this season.

cavan
12-04-06, 08:43 PM
of course Peel is currently better, he&#39;s younger, fitter and stronger. If you compare both players in their prime and look at what they achieved I believe Dawson to be superior.

The one argument you could make is that Peel has yet to reach his prime and from what I have seen so far there is much more to come from him. Perhaps when they are both finished with the game it would be fair to compare them.

Black-Monday
12-04-06, 09:39 PM
It is quite funny how every thread degrades to a &#39;welsh bashing/defending&#39; topic.

Welsh people seem to feel like they have to defend everything welsh, much in the essence of those crappy welsh channel&#39;s on sky.

Even when you could be talking about french, a comparison would be made and a welsh person, namely lora would start spouting anti - everything propaganda.

Thing is there language hasn&#39;t made a new word since the 12th century, may aswell embrace the english language, like the cornish.

BM