PDA

View Full Version : Round 10: Waratahs v Brumbies

Dumbo
10-04-06, 12:10 AM
Match of Round 10.
The Tah’s (ranked 2nd on the ladder) take on the Brumbies (ranked equal 3rd) in Sydney. Tah’s lost to the Canes last week and the Brumbies pumped the Cheetahs (who now have to go on and play the Crusaders). Finally the big showdown of who’s who in Australia. Personally I’m leaning towards the Tah’s (any chance of Rogers back in the line up?).

Wohooo… big game...

THE CHIROPRACTOR101
10-04-06, 04:49 AM
this is practically the australian trials now...always fun to watch these games between act and the tahs

The TRUTH
11-04-06, 03:09 PM
Originally posted by THE CHIROPRACTOR101@Apr 10 2006, 04:49 PM
this is practically the australian trials now...always fun to watch these games between act and the tahs
It wasn't much fun to watch last year

I cant wait for this game,very hard to pick,both have the best defence in the comp but hopefully we can see a high scoring game.

Rogers should be back but i'm kinda leaning towards the Brumbies atm,mainly because of the edge in the centres..

aussie1st
13-04-06, 07:48 AM
I hope the Tahs don't make it into a bore fest like last year. Can't wait for this one, game of the Super 14 thus far.

sanzar
13-04-06, 08:12 AM
Originally posted by aussie1st@Apr 13 2006, 06:48 PM
I hope the Tahs don't make it into a bore fest like last year. Can't wait for this one, game of the Super 14 thus far.
The Tah's had to make it a bore fest last year because they didn't have an attacking weapon (5 eighth) good enough to take the brumbies on out wide... This years game will depend on the fitness of Rogers I think. As if he's playing, I reckon the Tah's will back themselves in attack even against Larkham and co.

aussie1st
14-04-06, 02:07 AM
Well hes playing so I hope you're right. Larkham vs Rogers should be a ripper of a battle.

THE CHIROPRACTOR101
14-04-06, 02:41 AM
im liking the looseforward scrap and that back 3 battle..shud be interesting!

Mr. Laxative
14-04-06, 06:54 AM
This will be a great game. The result could very well be the difference between a home semi and an away semi for either side. With gregan at his best and the back three lethal brumbies will put up a strong fight and I think we'll win by 8 - just to **** you NSW'ers off! No bouns point for you.... 35-27!

aussie1st
14-04-06, 10:24 AM
Best result the losing team getting 2 bonus points :) Can't have those Kiwis dominating the top 4!

loratadine
14-04-06, 02:34 PM
my moneys on the waratahs. Theyve looked in good from this year, and at home i cant see them loosing to the brumbies. i expect to see an assured performance from the tahs backline with some big blitzing runs from the big men. The brumbies will be no push overs, as they tehmselves are starting to find form which is somewhere near their best. i just think that the tahs will be too strong away for themm... But itll be close, no more than 5 pts.

Dumbo
16-04-06, 03:53 AM
Head to Head:
Waratahs: 15 Peter Hewat, 14 Wendell Sailor, 13 Morgan Turinui, 12 Sam Norton-Knight, 11 Lote Tuqiri, 10 Mat Rogers, 9 Chris Whitaker, 8 David Lyons, 7 Phil Waugh (vice-captain), 6 Rocky Elsom, 5 Daniel Vickerman, 4 Alex Kanaar, 3 Al Baxter, 2 Adam Freier, 1 Benn Robinson.
Replacements: 16 Tatafu Polota-Nau, 17 Matt Dunning, 18 Will Caldwell, 19 Stephen Hoiles, 20 Brett Sheehan, 21 Daniel Halangahu, 22 Shaun Berne.

Brumbies: 15 Adam Ashley-Cooper, 14 Clyde Rathbone, 13 Stirling Mortlock (captain), 12 Matt Giteau, 11 Mark Gerrard, 10 Stephen Larkham, 9 George Gregan, 8 Adam Wallace-Harrison, 7 George Smith, 6 Daniel Heenan, 5 Mark Chisholm, 4 Alister Campbell, 3 Guy Shepherdson, 2 Jeremy Paul, 1 Bill Young.
Replacements: 16 James McCormack, 17 Nic Henderson, 18 Radike Samo, 19 Julian Salvi, 20 Patrick Phibbs, 21 Gene Fairbanks, 22 Joel Wilson
---------------------------------------
Both teams have a very even backline... think this one will come down to which forward pack can provide quality ball. Hewat vs Ashley-Cooper, Sailor vs Gerrard, Turinui vs Mortlock, Tuqiri vs Rathbone, Rogers vs Larkham, Whitaker vs Gregan... and thats just the backs! Great match ups right across the park.
I'm leaning towards the Tah's for this one.

Mr. Laxative
16-04-06, 05:32 AM
I'm saying brumbies, because they are my team, i feel however that whoever wins will win by no more than 5.

The TRUTH
16-04-06, 05:56 AM
Mckenzie finally picks his best team :bravo:

Looks very even across the board, Brumbies have the slightest edge in the backs,Tahs have the edge in the forwards.

Home ground should be enough to get the Tahs over the line but for some strange reason i have a feeling the Brumbies might just pip them....... i dont know why.

sanzar
16-04-06, 09:18 AM
I'm picking the Tah's in a tight one! This is gonna be such a good match up, and if one side doesn't choke I'd say it'll go down as the match of the season, like the 2004 match.

The TRUTH
16-04-06, 10:29 AM
Half Time 14-14.........best half of rugby all year :bravo:

Brumbies have been in control for most of the half but with Larkham injured and Norton Knight scoring the try of the year .....its game on.

Dumbo
16-04-06, 10:35 AM
Norton Knight was close to blowing that, someone shout that boy some acting lessons... god damn you to hell Brumbies...

This games 50-50. Bernie is out and as kiwi I JUST LOVE WATCHING AUSSIES HURTING EACH OTHER...

Dumbo
16-04-06, 11:21 AM
37-14 to the Tahs, all over red rover

loratadine
16-04-06, 11:24 AM
brilliant game.The brumbies completely f***ed it up in the second half, they seemed intimidated by the physical defence of the tahs and spilled possession to easily. This match have only gone to clarify how much talent australlian rugby has got, and this year will definitely be a good year for them. Hewat looks a very exciting prospect.

The hightlight of the match for me though was seeing stirling pick up wendeel like a bitch and slam him to the ground.

The TRUTH
16-04-06, 11:25 AM
Waratahs were awesome in the second half

Brumbies just had no direction without there most influential player Larkham

The TRUTH
16-04-06, 11:29 AM
Originally posted by loratadine@Apr 16 2006, 07:24 PM
The hightlight of the match for me though was seeing stirling pick up wendeel like a bitch and slam him to the ground.
To be fair to Dell, Mortlock does that to everyone........IMO he's still the best outside centre in the world by a mile.

Waratahs forwards showed again why they are the best pack in the Super14....... amazing

loratadine
16-04-06, 11:53 AM
ummm, i think a certain irish centre may have something to say come the summer, but in terms of physicality and explosiveness he is the best outside centre in the world.

The TRUTH
16-04-06, 12:00 PM
Originally posted by loratadine@Apr 16 2006, 07:53 PM
ummm, i think a certain irish centre may have something to say come the summer, but in terms of physicality and explosiveness he is the best outside centre in the world.
He didn't have the best night in terms of attack(that had alot to do with Larkham getting injured) but all year he's been cutting teams apart.

BOD is also great, i hope we get to see them go head to head later in the year...... that will be a great contest.

loratadine
16-04-06, 12:10 PM
it sure will, and i for one will be hoping mortock mutilates him.

sanzar
16-04-06, 08:53 PM
Originally posted by loratadine@Apr 16 2006, 10:24 PM

Wendell did get smashed in that tackle, but not too long after it he ran around Mortlock making him look like a punk! Gotta ask though, how bloody late was this game on for you in Wales? You must have stayed up, or got up at an ungodly hour to watch it!

Great game though, I thought the Brumbies looked like they might be too good in defence at half time, but the Tah's forwards really took it to the Brumbies and I thought Whitaker comprehensively outplayed a pretty quite Gregan as well.
The moment for me was definately the Try before half time, which incedently involved Sailor offloading a ball around an unsuspecting Mortlock standing idly in defence, and was then showed up by Norton Knight in the chase created by Lote :D . It was Brilliant stuff!

loratadine
16-04-06, 09:09 PM
it was on half ten in the morning - it wasnt too bad

some of the matches are on really early, like 7 or 8. but i dont mind. its good ****

sanzar
16-04-06, 09:48 PM
Originally posted by The TRUTH!!@Apr 16 2006, 11:00 PM

BOD is also great, i hope we get to see them go head to head later in the year...... that will be a great contest.
Won't it be great if Gasnier comes over to union and makes the wallabies? Imagine that match up! It'd be unbelievable, as no centre in Australian Union has the ability to stand up and beat players in the way Gasnier does, so him v BOD would be absolutely scintillating!

THE CHIROPRACTOR101
16-04-06, 11:47 PM
woooo...lovely opening 20 minutes in this match

so many big hits i was gonna cry in joy!

sambĂŁd5
16-04-06, 11:51 PM
Originally posted by sanzar+Apr 17 2006, 09:48 AM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-The TRUTH!!@Apr 16 2006, 11:00 PM

Won&#39;t it be great if Gasnier comes over to union and makes the wallabies? Imagine that match up! It&#39;d be unbelievable, as no centre in Australian Union has the ability to stand up and beat players in the way Gasnier does, so him v BOD would be absolutely scintillating! [/b]
tana & mealamu > bod & gasnier

sanzar
16-04-06, 11:59 PM
Originally posted by sambăd5+Apr 17 2006, 10:51 AM-->

Originally posted by sanzar@Apr 17 2006, 09:48 AM
<!--QuoteBegin-The TRUTH!!@Apr 16 2006, 11:00 PM

Won&#39;t it be great if Gasnier comes over to union and makes the wallabies? Imagine that match up! It&#39;d be unbelievable, as no centre in Australian Union has the ability to stand up and beat players in the way Gasnier does, so him v BOD would be absolutely scintillating!
tana & mealamu > bod & gasnier [/b]
Maybe BOD, but I&#39;d say Gasnier would be too big for those boys :D , and anyway, Umaga has chickened out of the international scene so who cares :P .

aussie1st
17-04-06, 12:21 AM
It&#39;s a shame Larkham went off with only 10 minutes up. That was the turning point really. Brumbies totally lost direction, Fairbanks is as bad as the Force 5/8s. Brumbies were looking really good early on.

But full credit to the Tahs they played good footy in the 2nd half, Norton Knight was awesome at 2nd five. Rogers was fairly quiet. Hewat&#39;s kicking game just keeps getting better and better.

Dumbo
17-04-06, 01:11 AM
Without Bernie Brumbies didn&#39;t have any composure... still they had some good defense (I think Mortlock really played out of his skin... great defense), Fairbanks... back to the drawing board mate.

As for mentioning BOD, who cares mate... Mortlock would pumble him.
Never know about Tana... there might be a surprise on the horizon come world come time if NZ has no quality center.

Looks the final of the super 14 may look a lot like last year.

THE CHIROPRACTOR101
17-04-06, 01:37 AM
tana chickened out after maiming every class centre in the world after the 03 world cup where he was too injured to do so...

hahaha...i jus remember the trinations where he fended lote tuquri away like he was a paper bag..bwhahaha

tana a chicken hahaha...the day i see tana back down from a challenge in rugby is the day i see armeggeddon..and Jesus hops on the rugby field and battles everyone

Dumbo
17-04-06, 01:45 AM
And if Jesus showed up I reckon he&#39;d be dressed in Black

aussie1st
17-04-06, 04:54 AM
Mortlock is playing the best footy of his career and kicking goals from everywhere. I&#39;ve never seen him looks so powerful and now hes showing his defending skills. I would say hes better than BOD right now.

loratadine
17-04-06, 09:45 AM
i would agree, hes definitely and intimidating prospect, and i can see him ******* all over england backline.

toothpick
17-04-06, 10:01 AM
I sincerely hope Gasnier doesn&#39;t come to union. I don&#39;t think he will do a whole lot, not like Tuqiri. He will find it difficult in defence and I can&#39;t see him troubling players like Nonu, Mortlock etc. Sure its ok when he plays people like Berrigan who are twice as small as him but with bigger men running at him I think he will struggle. The bad thing is that it looks almost certain that he will switch. I hope it doesn&#39;t and if it does, I hope he plays trash and never sees a Wallaby jumper.

THE CHIROPRACTOR101
17-04-06, 10:26 AM
id like 2 see him come..as he is one of leagues better players,i want to see what effect he cud have playing union

sambĂŁd5
17-04-06, 10:51 AM
i dont know how safe it would be having a 11)sailor 12)gasiner 13)tuquiri backline. sure it would be good, but too many leaguies?

sanzar
17-04-06, 11:02 AM
Originally posted by toothpick@Apr 17 2006, 09:01 PM
I sincerely hope Gasnier doesn&#39;t come to union. I don&#39;t think he will do a whole lot, not like Tuqiri. He will find it difficult in defence and I can&#39;t see him troubling players like Nonu, Mortlock etc. Sure its ok when he plays people like Berrigan who are twice as small as him but with bigger men running at him I think he will struggle. The bad thing is that it looks almost certain that he will switch. I hope it doesn&#39;t and if it does, I hope he plays trash and never sees a Wallaby jumper.
Ok against smaller men? You don&#39;t watch much league I&#39;m guessing... Mate Gasnier will be dynamite in Union just like he is in League! It&#39;ll probably take him a little bit to get used to, but his running game is 10 times better than motlocks and is also big enough to take care of himself in defence (seriously, league players are generally better in defence because they have to do so much more of it!). If Gas comes to union, then Mortlock can say goodbye to his hold on his wallabies jersey ;) .

sambĂŁd5
17-04-06, 11:07 AM
Originally posted by sanzar+Apr 17 2006, 11:02 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-toothpick@Apr 17 2006, 09:01 PM
Ok against smaller men? You don&#39;t watch much league I&#39;m guessing... Mate Gasnier will be dynamite in Union just like he is in League! It&#39;ll probably take him a little bit to get used to, but his running game is 10 times better than motlocks and is also big enough to take care of himself in defence (seriously, league players are generally better in defence because they have to do so much more of it!). If Gas comes to union, then Mortlock can say goodbye to his hold on his wallabies jersey ;) . [/b]
has he even signed a contract yet? how far is the deal down the track? any confirmation? how soon? he will play 13 right?

hang on, is SOO coming up?

sanzar
17-04-06, 11:22 AM
Originally posted by sambăd5+Apr 17 2006, 10:07 PM-->

Originally posted by sanzar@Apr 17 2006, 11:02 PM
Ok against smaller men? You don&#39;t watch much league I&#39;m guessing... Mate Gasnier will be dynamite in Union just like he is in League! It&#39;ll probably take him a little bit to get used to, but his running game is 10 times better than motlocks and is also big enough to take care of himself in defence (seriously, league players are generally better in defence because they have to do so much more of it!). If Gas comes to union, then Mortlock can say goodbye to his hold on his wallabies jersey ;) .
has he even signed a contract yet? how far is the deal down the track? any confirmation? how soon? he will play 13 right?

hang on, is SOO coming up? [/b]
Yeah, not too far now.
But no, Gas hasn&#39;t signed the contract, but inside sources say it&#39;s all but a done deal... And yeah, he&#39;ll play 13, so Turinui is gonna cop a demotion and the Tah&#39;s will become an even better attacking unite :D . Seriously, anyone who has seen what Gas can create with just the tiniest bit of space would be excited about him coming to union.

toothpick
17-04-06, 11:41 AM
Originally posted by sanzar+Apr 17 2006, 11:02 PM-->
Ok against smaller men? You don&#39;t watch much league I&#39;m guessing... Mate Gasnier will be dynamite in Union just like he is in League! It&#39;ll probably take him a little bit to get used to, but his running game is 10 times better than motlocks and is also big enough to take care of himself in defence (seriously, league players are generally better in defence because they have to do so much more of it!). If Gas comes to union, then Mortlock can say goodbye to his hold on his wallabies jersey ;) . [/b]
He plays against the likes of Berrigan, Matai and Carmont! They are small aren&#39;t they? His running games consists of catching the ball, standing still to put the defence in two minds then offloading. His running game has nothing on RU centres. Do you watch rugby? Have you seen the likes of O&#39;Driscoll, Nonu and Mortlock. They are all powerhouse runners. They don&#39;t have time to stand still and shimmy. They put the head down and run at 100mph.

Again, league defense isn&#39;t a whole lot better than union. The only reason why there aren&#39;t as many fallen off tackles is because of gang-tackling. In every tackle there are at least 2 men in there. usually, one man holds them by the jumper and clings on while the other comes over the top and completes the tackle. RU consists of much more one on one. Next week watch some league games and see how many times there is a clean oneon one tackle without a second player. See what happens to a solitary defender before a second man comes in.

Gasnier will be like Sailor, good in some facets but ordinary in most. He won&#39;t make an impact and will now have the same value as Tuqiri. He will be eaten alive.

sanzar
17-04-06, 11:39 PM
Originally posted by toothpick+Apr 17 2006, 10:41 PM-->

He plays against the likes of Berrigan, Matai and Carmont! They are small aren&#39;t they? His running games consists of catching the ball, standing still to put the defence in two minds then offloading. His running game has nothing on RU centres. Do you watch rugby? Have you seen the likes of O&#39;Driscoll, Nonu and Mortlock. They are all powerhouse runners. They don&#39;t have time to stand still and shimmy. They put the head down and run at 100mph.
[/b]
I seriously don&#39;t think you watch rugby league aye, not judging by this comment.
In league your forwards aren&#39;t tied up in the rucks half the game, so he&#39;s not only taking on his opposite numbers all the time, he takes on the big men too.

Originally posted by toothpick@Apr 17 2006, 10:41 PM

RU consists of much more one on one.
I know, which is why I think he&#39;ll be so effective! In attack in a one on one situation in space, he&#39;ll make breaks every time! Just like Sailor ran around mortlock on Sunday! Only Gas is a lot better than Sailor at it.

<!--QuoteBegin-toothpick@Apr 17 2006, 10:41 PM

Gasnier will be like Sailor, good in some facets but ordinary in most. He won&#39;t make an impact and will now have the same value as Tuqiri. He will be eaten alive.
I guess we&#39;ll just have to wait and see... but I remember hearing this sort of crap when Rogers originally came over, it all depends on Gas, if he can adapt he&#39;ll be dynamite, if he can&#39;t he&#39;ll be another Sailor (who, incedently has been having one heck of a season so far!).