PDA

View Full Version : Bye bye Leeds

Boy
16-04-06, 04:42 PM
Falcons beating Sale today means that Leeds are relegated from the Guiness Premiership. Can't say I'm particularly sad to see them go; horrible ground, an uninspiring style of play and above all, Iain Balshaw.

Bar Justin Marshall, the squad doesn't really have that many players that clubs will be looking to lure away. Bell is apparently going to Worcester, Snyman's going back to SA. Biggs, Hooper and Palmer will probably attract some attention, as may Gordon Ross. Danny Care from the England U19s looks a very good prospect, but he may want to get some experience in Division 1 before moving away.

Thoughts...

SaintsFan_Webby
16-04-06, 05:42 PM
Originally posted by Boy@Apr 16 2006, 04:42 PM
Thoughts...
Never mind eh... :D

Not at all sad to see them go, I doubt many people will be.

Apparently Saints are in the mix for Biggs and Care, although these are only rumours.

Personally I'd like to see if we could take Tom Palmer off their hands, been one of their more impressive figures.

Hopefully they won't make it back up to the top flight any time soon.

getofmeland
16-04-06, 05:44 PM
Ahh its good to finally be able to breath, knowing we are safe, I went to the Bath's last game of last season, when we played Leeds with my mate whos a northampton fan, and well if you could of seen his nerves on the last day, to be honest tho, there was some excitement for the last game of the season...
I wont be sad to see Leeds go down tho, as Bath never really did that well against them....

Wonder whether Quins will be pushing to shut the league off, next season..... should be interesting to see whether they do....

Cymro
16-04-06, 09:33 PM
I think Gavin Kerr will probably leave and return to a club in Scotland, I see Gordon Bulloch and Dunbar also moving. Maybe Richard Parks and Nathaen Thomas will return to Wales?

harrison2468
16-04-06, 09:52 PM
Isn't it strange that exactly this time a year ago, Leeds had secured a place in Europe by winning the Powergen Cup.

I know they don't have many fans on here, but you gotta feel sorry for the diehard fans, who will be feeling very downhearted right now.

Titan
16-04-06, 11:32 PM
It's not all doom and gloom - lots of local derbies in ND1 to look forward to next season!

Black-Monday
17-04-06, 12:38 AM
This ain't too bad as it ain't that hard a team to dismantle, the stars can move on and the youngsters will stay. Not many hard decisions to make as the other Gb players will move to home clubs.

BM

Saint N Sinner
17-04-06, 01:19 AM
Glad to see them go down, worst club in the premiership.

I think Quins are a better team by far. Bye bye Marshall.

Black-Monday
17-04-06, 01:51 AM
Wasn't suprised to see them down, but I have to say they had the game at Edgeley Park, Marshall played well, but we ran in two injury time tries.

Marshall wouldn't be bad at Sale, we need a WC SH.

'Quins should be good next year, with Mehrt's and others. They just need G'wood and G'old Staunton.

BM

Ripper
17-04-06, 07:02 AM
Wasn't there some rumour going around that there was a clause in Marshalls contract that said if Quins got promoted Marshall would sign with them?

Or is that just a product of my mind?

kaftka
17-04-06, 08:43 AM
Sounds like **** Ripper... But a Marshall/Mehrtens combination would never work. Not in a million years...

Ripper
17-04-06, 08:53 AM
My mind spouts alot of ****.

Andrew Johns will be starting for the Warriors next year.

You heard it here first.

sambãd5
17-04-06, 11:55 AM
Originally posted by kaftka@Apr 17 2006, 07:43 PM
Sounds like **** Ripper... But a Marshall/Mehrtens combination would never work. Not in a million years...
:lol:
yeah i herd that rumor too. but i doubt they would release him from their contract.

el_tk
17-04-06, 03:05 PM
Marshall is in the papers today saying he wants to be released from his contract.

harrison2468
17-04-06, 03:11 PM
Originally posted by el_tk@Apr 17 2006, 02:05 PM
Marshall is in the papers today saying he wants to be released from his contract.
Doesn't 2 weeks make a hell of a difference -

Early this month - from BBC Sport (http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_union/english/4876712.stm)

Today from BBC Sport (http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_union/english/4915318.stm)

SaintsFan_Webby
17-04-06, 03:12 PM
Originally posted by harrison2468+Apr 17 2006, 03:11 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-el_tk@Apr 17 2006, 02:05 PM
Doesn&#39;t 2 weeks make a hell of a difference -

Early this month - from BBC Sport (http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_union/english/4876712.stm)

Today from BBC Sport (http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_union/english/4915318.stm) [/b]
:lol:

I bet it was Alistair Campbell who told him what to say during the first interview...

Canadian_Rugby_Guy
17-04-06, 03:55 PM
Why doesn&#39;t anyone really like Leeds? I mean, I&#39;m happy it&#39;s them and not the Saints or the LIR (not that they were in any danger anyways), but I&#39;ve felt this general animosity towards them from other people.

PeeJay
17-04-06, 06:14 PM
Leeds isn&#39;t exactly a traditional Rugby Union city, is it?

Boy
17-04-06, 06:22 PM
Originally posted by Canadian_Rugby_Guy@Apr 18 2006, 02:55 AM
Why doesn&#39;t anyone really like Leeds? I mean, I&#39;m happy it&#39;s them and not the Saints or the LIR (not that they were in any danger anyways), but I&#39;ve felt this general animosity towards them from other people.
Reasons to hate Leeds Tykes:

Leeds got saved by the RFU four seasons ago, staying in the Premiership when they should have been relegated. So there&#39;s one reason.

They&#39;ve got a horrible ground which, until recently, hadn&#39;t been touched since it was built in the 1930s. It may well be the arsehole of the world. Plus it&#39;s not signposted from within the city, so you get lost on a Friday night and miss the first twenty minutes (maybe that&#39;s just me and Rob).

They only average attendances of a few thousand, which in itself isn&#39;t a bad thing, but it&#39;s never a friendly, traditional Rugby Union crowd.

They&#39;ve only be kept alive this long because of the Rhinos. Left to their own devices and without Headingley, they would never have even seen the Premiership.

Oh, and Iain Balshaw.

Muse_Cubed
17-04-06, 06:25 PM
Definitely agree with your last point. I&#39;m not a big fan of Leeds and always liked Quins. I wouldn&#39;t mind seeing Newcastle go down, that&#39;d shut Rob Andrew up almost permanently. Apart from the whinging about relegation mind.

harrison2468
17-04-06, 07:53 PM
Originally posted by Muse_Cubed@Apr 17 2006, 05:25 PM
Definitely agree with your last point. I&#39;m not a big fan of Leeds and always liked Quins. I wouldn&#39;t mind seeing Newcastle go down, that&#39;d shut Rob Andrew up almost permanently. Apart from the whinging about relegation mind.
Andrews isn&#39;t the most loved of men in Newcastle at the moment though. The Falcons fans aren&#39;t best pleased with him and his excuses, and many want him out.

Titan
17-04-06, 08:28 PM
Originally posted by PeeJay@Apr 18 2006, 05:14 AM
Leeds isn&#39;t exactly a traditional Rugby Union city, is it?
Maybe, but Yorkshire IS a rugby union county.

We need a new team to take on the mantle - step forward the Rotherham Earth Titans!

PeeJay
17-04-06, 09:34 PM
Yorkshire&#39;s not a Union county. What with all those League teams, how can you possibly say it&#39;s a Union county?

stormmaster1
18-04-06, 09:58 AM
If Leeds had played just a bit better in the past few weeks or had started the season in that sort of way they could still be up. In the past few games they were leading Sale at Sale untill the final few minutes. The then were beating Leicester at welford road untill a try seconds before the end. they also managed to score 4 tries and not be a million miles from beating London Irish away with 14 men for most of the match. I can&#39;t see many of their better players staying around now. I just hope Balshaw stays with them in D1.

harrison2468
18-04-06, 11:18 AM
Balshaw should show some loyalty really, as Leeds stuck with him for so long, while he has been injured, for him to up and leave would be a ****-take really.

MightyQuin
18-04-06, 02:52 PM
Bet Marshall is regretting that story from a few weeks ago when he pledged his loyalty to Leeds even if they got relegated!

Hasn&#39;t put him in a very good light - especially considering Mehrtens didn&#39;t make any fuss at all about still joining Quins even though they were relegated to ND1 before he officially joined.

Not sure many teams would want Marshall - especially given it will cost a few quid to buy him out of his contract, assuming Leeds wont just give him handshake and a "good luck in your new job" leaving card!!!

Maybe Wasps - don&#39;t they need an over the hill, ex-international, complaining scrum-half??

robbinho
18-04-06, 03:29 PM
Originally posted by Boy@Apr 17 2006, 03:42 AM
Thoughts...
(UNT OFF LEEDS

Cymro
18-04-06, 03:54 PM
Marshall they say is not 100% commited to Leeds so its gonna be interesting.

Maybe a buy for the Quins

Norhtern Lad
18-04-06, 04:12 PM
I look forward to seeing over the hill internationals come down from the GP each season. So I hope he sticks with them so I can see one of our monstrous pack knock his legs from under him.

St Helens RLFC
18-04-06, 05:46 PM
Originally posted by Canadian_Rugby_Guy@Apr 17 2006, 03:55 PM
We all hate Leeds (scum).

It&#39;s just an English thing.

Norhtern Lad
18-04-06, 07:46 PM
I was born in Hull so I have a healthy rivalry with those westerners.

Titan
18-04-06, 08:35 PM
Originally posted by PeeJay@Apr 18 2006, 08:34 AM
Yorkshire&#39;s not a Union county. What with all those League teams, how can you possibly say it&#39;s a Union county?
Yorkshire has 88 active league clubs, far more than any other county. In addition, there are 10 &#39;senior&#39; clubs in the National Leagues ľ again, more than anyone else.

PeeJay
18-04-06, 09:52 PM
Probably cos it&#39;s the largest county :rolleyes:

gjohn85
18-04-06, 10:59 PM
Originally posted by St Helens RLFC+Apr 18 2006, 04:46 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-Canadian_Rugby_Guy@Apr 17 2006, 03:55 PM

It&#39;s just an English thing. [/b]
Are there any Leeds fans on here? or are they too scared to join?

woosaah
18-04-06, 11:06 PM
add just to add to the marshall thing

Marshall reportedly gains release from Leeds
19 April 2006*

Justin Marshall has severed his career with English rugby Leeds after one season despite having a year remaining on his contract.

Radio Sport reported today that the former All Blacks halfback has managed to gain an early release after Leeds were relegated from the premiership over the weekend.

Radio Sport said the club was expected to make an announcement tomorrow.

This week Marshall, 32, publicly stated he did not want to play in the National League One, and said he had played his "heart and guts out this season" and it would be an act of good faith if the club released him.

The report follows Leeds chief executive Gary Hetherington confirming yesterday that Marshall had no escape clause in his deal after he joined them last year.

"Justin will be playing for Leeds in National League One next season," Hetherington said.

French side Bourgouin has reportedly made overtures towards Marshall, while the 81-test All Black has also been linked with English side Harlequins.

Robbie Deans, Marshall&#39;s former coach at the Crusaders, said if the combative No 9 wanted to return to New Zealand, he should be warmly welcomed by the New Zealand Rugby Union.

"He&#39;s a class act isn&#39;t he? I would think New Zealand rugby would be delighted to have him back on the roster," Deans told The Press.

Deans said the Crusaders "would look at that at the time," when asked if they would be willing to have Marshall back.
[/b]

http://www.stuff.co.nz/stuff/0,2106,3641674a1823,00.html

we dont need him back here really :)

Titan
19-04-06, 05:48 AM
Originally posted by PeeJay@Apr 19 2006, 08:52 AM
Probably cos it&#39;s the largest county :rolleyes:
Still proves my point though. :P

Saint N Sinner
19-04-06, 10:40 AM
Well, whether Marshall sticks in the GP or not is going to be interesting..

Flamingo
19-04-06, 11:00 AM
Originally posted by gjohn85+Apr 19 2006, 09:59 AM-->

Originally posted by St Helens RLFC@Apr 18 2006, 04:46 PM

Are there any Leeds fans on here? or are they too scared to join? [/b]
Im a leeds fotball fan but that doen&#39;t count
does it?

MightyQuin
19-04-06, 11:14 AM
I&#39;m from Leeds - but please don&#39;t hold that against me

Bullitt
19-04-06, 12:14 PM
Originally posted by gjohn85+Apr 18 2006, 09:59 PM-->

Originally posted by St Helens RLFC@Apr 18 2006, 04:46 PM

Are there any Leeds fans on here? or are they too scared to join? [/b]
There aren&#39;t any Leeds fans, let alone any fans who&#39;d join a internet forum.

They can&#39;t use a keyboard with those webbed hands, y&#39;see.