PDA

View Full Version : Round 12 - Highlanders v Waratahs

Dumbo
24-04-06, 02:01 AM
Highlanders (ranked equal 8th) play the Tahs (ranked 2nd) in Dunedin.
Both teams return after having a week off, Id say the Highlanders will be easy picking for the Tahs and a win for them could put them solidly on top of the ladder.

aussie1st
24-04-06, 11:12 PM
The only thing going for the Highlanders is home ground advantage but that hasn't affected the Tahs. I think the Highlanders went 100 years without winning at home against the Tahs. But Tahs should be too good especially with Rogers back.

esoj
25-04-06, 04:13 AM
highlanders will have to play well to win this one. tahs should be too classy to win this one

The TRUTH
26-04-06, 09:23 AM
This is a good opportunity for the Tahs to close the gap between them and the Crusaders, they really have to go all out for the bonus point in all there remaining matches.

I say the Tahs will win by 20.

Mr. Laxative
26-04-06, 10:04 PM
I'm going to say the highlanders by 1 as part of my master plan. If this doesn't work I'll just have to revert to Plan B.

"What is Plan B?" you ask...

Well I'll tell you "We have to beat the Crusaders as well."

Serge
27-04-06, 12:19 AM
I'm thinking the Highlanders will win this one. They will play the spoilers gameplan where they just keep kicking to the Warratahs corner and try to force a mistake. Bascially they Highlanders will be doing a lot of tackling, but I think it will pay off, especially if it is wet. Highlanders by 4.

woosaah
27-04-06, 12:27 AM
Waratahs unable to get into Dunedin
27 April 2006*
By BEN KIMBER
Sydney Morning Herald

Wild weather forced an aborted landing in Dunedin and left the Waratahs stranded in Christchurch overnight, with Friday's fixture against the Highlanders in doubt if the adverse conditions continue.

The plane carrying the NSW side approached Dunedin Airport through a mass of cloud only to emerge 100 metres above the runway, before being buffeted by 60kmh winds that forced a rapid ascent and redirection to Christchurch.

"We couldn't land, the crosswinds in Dunedin were too much for the plane we were in and there's flooding around Dunedin so we can't get there by road, either," said NSW coach Ewen McKenzie. "So we'll stay here and try our luck (Thursday), but I don't think there's any certainty about (Thursday), either. Maybe we'll have to move the game up here if it's flooded down there. The Crusaders are out of town so we can play in Christchurch. Anything's possible at the moment."

The flooding in towns surrounding Dunedin is preventing road access, and no break in the weather is predicted prior to tomorrow night's scheduled clash.

Last night, the Waratahs were forced to find accommodation in the city they recently visited for their round-nine loss to the Crusaders. After naming an unchanged team from their win over the Brumbies, they trained under lights as they tried to keep their preparation on track.

McKenzie's preferred preparation timetable was already disrupted after flight schedules forced the team to fly out of Sydney yesterday rather than Tuesday, offering his players only two nights in Dunedin rather than the three they prefer prior to a match.

It was the fixture against the Highlanders last year in round 10 in which the Waratahs played some of their best rugby on the road, with NSW management deciding that the lead-up to that match - spending three days in Dunedin before their 41-20 victory - was ideal.

Prior to that game, the Waratahs had headed across the Tasman in round seven in 2005 to take on the Hurricanes with only two nights in Wellington before the match. They turned in a flat performance, losing 26-24, prompting a move to the three-day preparation as the standard.

This week, a three-day preparation was unattainable and now even the two-day preparation has been thrown off-kilter, but McKenzie is positive his team will handle the disruption.

"This is why we go on development tours," McKenzie said. "There's things you can't control so there's no point stressing about it. It's certainly not what we planned but we'll just roll with the punches and make the best of it.

"It was a little bit unnerving, by the time you came through the clouds there wasn't much distance left to the ground, but in the end I guess everyone's comfortable with safety first."

McKenzie's comments were endorsed by prop Matt Dunning, who was nominated by teammates as the player least comfortable in the air.

"I'm happy to go to Christchurch," said Dunning on firm ground at Christchurch Airport. "I'd rather be in Christchurch now than spread all over the tarmac in Dunedin.

"It was a bit terrorising, the landing there. I was saying to (prop) Al (Baxter) I thought we were about three feet off the ground before the pilot changed his mind."

Dunning's assessment of the plane's proximity to the ground after spearing out of the cloud bank was guesstimation at its best, as he conceded his eyes were firmly shut throughout the entire ordeal.

"I'm not a good flyer, but I've got a lot better than I used to be, it just got a bit rocky there," he said. "I thought we almost landed then he pulled up at the last minute. Al's the resident know-it-all and he was keeping me informed and keeping me under wraps and sedated. I didn't look out the window. I was holding on with both hands."

[/b]
http://stuff.co.nz/stuff/0,2106,3649944a1823,00.html

So.. this game could end up being played in christchurch, that would be funny :)

matt dunning is a pussy cat

Southern man
27-04-06, 12:44 AM
Roads are fine now and the Waratahs are now in Dunedin, and if it would be played in Chch how would the Highlanders get there!?

All this rain has done now is eliminate the Waratahs major advantage their backs, as not only will the ngiht be cold the pitch will be full of water. So I really doubt the Tahs can win by 20 in these conditions.

aussie1st
27-04-06, 12:55 AM
Well according to the article the Waratahs couldn't land in Dunedin but they managed to u-turn back to Christchurch ok. So I guess the Highlanders could have flown out.

But it's all sorted and we can get back to looking forward to the match.

Groen_en_Goud
27-04-06, 08:59 AM
The pitch is going to end up as a pig sty unless they can dry it out quickly. I don't think there will be a lot of involvement from the backs for some reason.

sanzar
27-04-06, 09:04 AM
This is shaping to be a thoroughly dissapointing game... But the Tah's know how to grind wins out in the forwards pretty well and have several solid goal kickers, so I still back our boys to do the business.

Rassie
27-04-06, 09:25 AM
Sanzar, in theory you`re favorites to win this one but (and i don`t know how to explain the feeling), i think Otago will emerge victorious from this game! I`m not saying that to annoy you , it`s just the way i predict this game! I`m counting on a surprise if i can say so !

sanzar
27-04-06, 10:43 AM
Originally posted by Rassie@Apr 27 2006, 08:25 PM
Sanzar, in theory you`re favorites to win this one but (and i don`t know how to explain the feeling), i think Otago will emerge victorious from this game! I`m not saying that to annoy you , it`s just the way i predict this game! I`m counting on a surprise if i can say so !
Well it'll be a rare win for the Highlanders if they can pull off the upset... Because they've only ever beaten the Tahs ONCE from 5 games at Carrisbrook since the S12/14 started!

Personally I think you're clutching at straws budddy ;) . You've tipped against the Tahs most weeks this year and we've only dropped 2 games, so I'm sorta relieved you tipped Otago :P .

Rassie
27-04-06, 10:57 AM
The truth is that since Nick Evans got injured, Otago can`t find themselves! I really can`t explain what happend with them since that accident, how come a only player loss meant so much !

Well, let me remind you that in theory you can still miss the semis :bleh!: :D not to mention the way you lost last season the leader position - in the final round when you failed to score the fourth try vs Blues

sanzar
27-04-06, 11:38 AM
Originally posted by Rassie@Apr 27 2006, 09:57 PM
The truth is that since Nick Evans got injured, Otago can`t find themselves! I really can`t explain what happend with them since that accident, how come a only player loss meant so much !

Well, let me remind you that in theory you can still miss the semis* :bleh!:* :D not to mention the way you lost last season the leader position - in the final round when you failed to score the fourth try vs Blues
That decision to go for the penelty in last years match was indicitive of the kind of thinking McKenzie has instilled in the Tahs though, they had 20 minutes left to play in the match and felt that the best option was to not get pannicky about a fourth try and secure a win first and formost... and though they didn't get that fourth try, there's no denying that such thinking has been responsible for the Tah's rise in power in Super rugby... years ago they may have pannicked in desperation for a fourth try and not even beat the Blues in that game!

But listen Rassie, I know that the real reason you tip against the Tahs every week is because their forwards have been so impressive and you just can't take an Aussie team have forwards that outperform saffa ones :P .

Southern man
27-04-06, 12:34 PM
Originally posted by sanzar+Apr 27 2006, 10:43 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-Rassie@Apr 27 2006, 08:25 PM
Well it&#39;ll be a rare win for the Highlanders if they can pull off the upset... Because they&#39;ve only ever beaten the Tahs ONCE from 5 games at Carrisbrook since the S12/14 started!

Personally I think you&#39;re clutching at straws budddy ;) . You&#39;ve tipped against the Tahs most weeks this year and we&#39;ve only dropped 2 games, so I&#39;m sorta relieved you tipped Otago :P . [/b]
Thing is it isn&#39;t only one player, But Evans influence on the team was huge. We are also without Hoani macdonald, James Ryan, Andrew Blowers, Paul Willams and Matt Saunders to injury. Any team with that many players injured would struggle.

To note, its raining again.

The TRUTH
27-04-06, 02:39 PM
Waratahs Team...

1.Benn Robinson
2.Adam Freier
3.Al Baxter
4.Alex Kanaar
5.Daniel Vickerman
6.Rocky Elsom
7.Phil Waugh [v-c]
8.David Lyons
9.Chris Whitaker [c]
10.Mat Rogers
11.Lote Tuqiri
12.Sam Norton-Knight
13.Morgan Turinui
14.Wendell Sailor
15.Peter Hewat

16.Tatafu Polota-Nau
17.Matt Dunning
18.Will Caldwell
19.Stephen Hoiles
20.Brett Sheehan
21.Daniel Halangahu
22.Shaun Berne
23.Leroy Houston
24.Ben Jacobs

Unchanged from the Brumbies match.

Highlanders....

1.Clarke Dermody
2. Anton Oliver
3. Carl Hayman
4. Tom Donnelly
5. Filipo Levi
6. Hale T-Pole
7. Josh Blackie
8. Craig Newby
9. Jimmy Cowan
10. Callum Bruce
11. Richard Kahui
12. Seilala Mapusua
13. Neil Brew
14. Ben Smith
15. Ben Blair

Reserves

16. Jason Macdonald
17. Chris King
18. Kane Thompson
19. Tim Boys
20. Chris Smylie
21. Ryan Bambry
22. Roy Kinikinilau

loratadine
27-04-06, 05:31 PM
waratahs by 15

Mr. Laxative
27-04-06, 10:48 PM
Originally posted by woosaah@Apr 27 2006, 11:27 AM
matt dunning is a pussy cat
A really, really fat pussy cat!

dobrien7
27-04-06, 11:33 PM
Even though I&#39;m a loyal Stags/Highlanders fan, I unfortunately have to bow my head and admit Waratahs will be too good, but will take a morale victory here if Dunning gets injured haha baby faced assasin my arse, the only thing he&#39;s killing is his career...

Dumbo
27-04-06, 11:38 PM
If Evans was still in I&#39;d be backing the Highlanders... damn shame, bummer.

dobrien7
27-04-06, 11:57 PM
Would have to rate as the biggest loss to any team in S14 this season I reckon, although Latham for Reds is up there, but he&#39;s back now, unlike Evans, sob, sniff...

Dumbo
28-04-06, 01:26 AM
Agree... he really is turning into a call act.

woosaah
28-04-06, 03:01 AM
into a what?

dobrien7
28-04-06, 03:03 AM
Phew, thought I was the only one who didn&#39;t understand that :P

Dumbo
28-04-06, 04:08 AM
F&*king spelling "class"

dobrien7
28-04-06, 04:25 AM
hehe no worries Dumbo, took it for being class, just had me going for a wee bit...

kaftka
28-04-06, 06:06 AM
Highlanders will win 97-3

You heard it here first.

dobrien7
28-04-06, 06:26 AM
Haha nice, would pay to see that!

kaftka
28-04-06, 06:39 AM
Is that your dog taking a **** on your lap....top?

The TRUTH
28-04-06, 06:42 AM
Anyone know what the weather is like for this one??

dobrien7
28-04-06, 06:59 AM
Nah *******...

Well it&#39;s fine here and we&#39;re only 2 hours from Dunedin...

dobrien7
28-04-06, 07:10 AM
... but there&#39;s steady light rain, big John Drake (Sky commentator) has said conditions are ideal for an upset, and I picked Waratahs 13+ bugger...

The TRUTH
28-04-06, 07:18 AM
Originally posted by dobrien7@Apr 28 2006, 03:10 PM
... but there&#39;s steady light rain, big John Drake (Sky commentator) has said conditions are ideal for an upset, and I picked Waratahs 13+ bugger...
Dont worry ,thats a very safe bet.........Tahs will murder them,you heard it here first.

kaftka
28-04-06, 07:21 AM
Originally posted by The TRUTH!!+Apr 28 2006, 07:18 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-dobrien7@Apr 28 2006, 03:10 PM
Dont worry ,thats a very safe bet.........Tahs will murder them,you heard it hear first. [/b]
HA!! Who are you going to believe.... The leader of the TRF tipping comp, or some supporter of the worst team in the Super 14 who somehow manages to misuse the word &#39;hear&#39; in the same sentence as the word &#39;heard&#39;.

The TRUTH
28-04-06, 07:25 AM
I changed it before you posted that...... well, i was in the process...

woosaah
28-04-06, 07:50 AM
this ref if as gay as dumbos sig and we have only had 15 minutes

The TRUTH
28-04-06, 08:19 AM
Half Time 13-3 Tahs

This one is shaping up as the worst game of the year...... terrible conditions

kaftka
28-04-06, 08:24 AM
I&#39;m enjoying the fact that the Waratahs haven&#39;t been running all over us. When I say &#39;us&#39;, I mean the inbred hicks from down south.

Promising stuff from the Highlanders. Mainly coming from the backs though which is suprising. Just bad hands letting both sides down really...Or bad conditions.

I thought it would wind up being 0-0 at half time, so it&#39;s good to see some points on the board at least.

Rassie
28-04-06, 09:05 AM
Tahs, much too powerful for the hapless Otago , it`s a fact damn it and the fgame isn`t over yet

The TRUTH
28-04-06, 09:23 AM
Tahs win 20-3 in a ugly game

Tahs defence was far too good but they would be dissapointed that they stuffed up those two try chances to get a needed bonus point.

Gay-Guy
28-04-06, 09:28 AM
This is turning out to be a season from hell for the Highlanders.........how many games have they lost at home now?????

kaftka
28-04-06, 09:30 AM
Well that was ****.

Both teams were **** in the first half, but I felt the Highlanders had some decent momentum. They had all the field position.

The second half was one of the worst 40minutes of rugby I&#39;ve seen. It was crapfest. Mainly from the Highlanders.

The TRUTH
28-04-06, 09:36 AM
On the bright side for the Highlanders, tonight was the first time this season that the Tahs scrum has been beaten, although the weather may have had something to do with that.

aussie1st
28-04-06, 09:39 AM
Lol the weather had nothing to do with the Tahs bad scrum. They just haven&#39;t been exposed to the best scrum in the comp until today.

Dumbo
28-04-06, 10:17 AM
I blame Jesus and all religious fanatics... god took away Nick Evans and Ginga Ryan... shame on you Jesus, shame on you

dobrien7
28-04-06, 10:34 AM
Originally posted by Dumbo@Apr 28 2006, 10:17 PM
I blame Jesus and all religious fanatics... god took away Nick Evans and Ginga Ryan... shame on you Jesus, shame on you
He&#39;s got a lot to answer for that guy...

From an inbred hick from down south.

Mr. Laxative
28-04-06, 10:43 AM
Did you know Jesus was a Jew????

Dumbo
28-04-06, 10:45 AM
And when was the last time anyone saw a Jew playing rugby... conspiracy, I tell you conspiracy...

dobrien7
28-04-06, 10:48 AM
That game rates top of the table in a lot of "Worst" categories...

Worst -
Entertainment spectacle
Conditions
Periods of refereeing
attack (Highlanders)
etc.

Mr. Laxative
28-04-06, 10:23 PM
Um last time a Jew was playing rugby? Hmm, the other day I played against one....

And isn&#39;t it time to change your sig Dumbo or are you finally prepared to express your emotions?

sanzar
29-04-06, 12:18 AM
Originally posted by The TRUTH!!@Apr 28 2006, 08:36 PM
On the bright side for the Highlanders, tonight was the first time this season that the Tahs scrum has been beaten, although the weather may have had something to do with that.
Yeah, terrible performance by the Tahs at the scrum... something they&#39;re definately going to have to work on before next week.

THE CHIROPRACTOR101
29-04-06, 12:23 AM
hayman is the best no.3 prop in the world

sanzar
29-04-06, 12:30 AM
Seriously though, last night was one of the worst games of rugby from a spectator standpoint and the Tahs forwards showed some seriously worrying signs... on the upside they spent almost the whole game in their half in defence and still managed to score 2 tries to one.

THE CHIROPRACTOR101
29-04-06, 12:37 AM
i was "serious though"..carl hayman is the best no.3 in the world...you know that sheridan punk?...he left the field becoz of carl hayman

sanzar
29-04-06, 12:40 AM
Originally posted by THE CHIROPRACTOR101@Apr 29 2006, 11:37 AM
i was "serious though"..carl hayman is the best no.3 in the world...you know that sheridan punk?...he left the field becoz of carl hayman
hahaha, yeah I wasn&#39;t commenting on your post to be honest... just a saying really. I agree, Carl Hayman is pretty dam good.

dobrien7
29-04-06, 12:58 AM
Here&#39;s my one time marginal claim to know someone famous, and in NZ that&#39;s an All Black...

Back when we were 15/16, we had an inter school sports exchange where Kings High from Dunedin came down and played us, and the next year we (James Hargest High) went up and played them at cricket. Our family had the pleasure of Carl being billeted with us. Even back then he was a big prick, nice guy, excellent prop, easily #1 in his position.

The Tahs scrum going backwards would be due to Highlanders front row, which includes our Southland capatain Clarke Dermody, another promising prop.

THE CHIROPRACTOR101
29-04-06, 03:13 AM
^indeed...but even tho the tahs went backwards..they still won,promising signs for there campaign...but they will fall when they meet the blues in the semis

shut up....all of you

sanzar
29-04-06, 03:53 AM
Originally posted by THE CHIROPRACTOR101@Apr 29 2006, 02:13 PM
^indeed...but even tho the tahs went backwards..they still won,promising signs for there campaign...but they will fall when they meet the blues in the semis

:lol2tn: :roflrol: :lol2tn: :roflrol:

I think my sides just split.

aussie1st
29-04-06, 03:54 AM
:lol: No chance in hell!

dobrien7
29-04-06, 04:45 AM
Originally posted by aussie1st@Apr 29 2006, 03:54 PM
:lol: No chance in hell!
Of what? Blues actually impersonating Houdini and getting into the semi&#39;s, or the Tahs winning a semi???

GoTheTahs
04-05-06, 04:23 AM
a good team can win ugly, and this game most certainly wasn&#39;t pretty...

that the scrum failed so spectacularly and we still managed to keep the ball is a credit to Whits... going to miss that boy :wah:

dobrien7
04-05-06, 04:27 AM
Originally posted by GoTheTahs@May 4 2006, 04:23 PM
a good team can win ugly, and this game most certainly wasn&#39;t pretty...

that the scrum failed so spectacularly and we still managed to keep the ball is a credit to Whits... going to miss that boy :wah:
A good example of a bridesmaid (to Gregan) who deserved more time at the altar...

Candyman
05-05-06, 10:32 PM
Originally posted by dobrien7@Apr 29 2006, 12:58 PM
Here&#39;s my one time marginal claim to know someone famous, and in NZ that&#39;s an All Black...

Back when we were 15/16, we had an inter school sports exchange where Kings High from Dunedin came down and played us, and the next year we (James Hargest High) went up and played them at cricket. Our family had the pleasure of Carl being billeted with us. Even back then he was a big prick, nice guy, excellent prop, easily #1 in his position.

The Tahs scrum going backwards would be due to Highlanders front row, which includes our Southland capatain Clarke Dermody, another promising prop.
I have one of those stories as well.

When i was at Southland Boys&#39; High i played rugby for a season there in the Under 16&#39;s in my team there was Corey Flynn, Clarke Dermody, David Hall and old Mils Plus some local southland plyers now Jeff Wright and Jamie Macintosh.

dobrien7
05-05-06, 11:20 PM
Corey Flynn almost broke my nose fending me in a game the prick... played a lot of cricket with against David Hall too.

Candyman
05-05-06, 11:24 PM
Yeah david hall did play a bit of cricket i don&#39;t know if he was any good at though what do you reckon