PDA

View Full Version : Which team has the best crowds in the S14?

sanzar
26-04-06, 01:25 PM
Well who do you guys think have had the best crowds this year? Personally, while a lot of the Tahs games have been solid (esp the full house against the brumbies), the Force have been the most consistent and loudest, and I'm just incredibly impressed that Perth have taken them on so well! The kiwi teams generally (and surprisingly) seem to have a lot of trouble filling the grounds most weeks it seems with the exeption of big Crusaders games etc, and SA teams seem to be a bit on and off, but I'm not really sure...

The TRUTH
26-04-06, 02:59 PM
I voted for the Force due to the fact they are yet to get a win and still get awesome crowds all decked out in there jerseys and aruably the best atmosphere in the Super14.

The Bulls also have great crowds so it's hard to pick between them two, the Bulls crowd is usually the biggest in the comp but when the Force start winning you'd expect them to get over 40,000 every week.

(Waiting for Groen to come and groan about how much Australia sux and how good SA is :P )

Mr. Laxative
26-04-06, 09:54 PM
I've got to go with the Force as well, simply becasue Subiaco has been consistently (almost) filled, despite some unfortunate results. Also I have been impressed by the noise the Brumbies crwd has been generating. If you heard them against the Chiefs or the Hurricanes you would have thought there were at least 25,000 people there...

Serge
27-04-06, 12:21 AM
I really don't think there is a debate on the matter. Force has been consistantly losing yet consistantly getting big crowds. Says a lot about how much Western Australia has been wanting top grade rugby. Unless its just a novelty thing?

sanzar
27-04-06, 07:21 AM
Originally posted by Serge@Apr 27 2006, 11:21 AM
I really don't think there is a debate on the matter. Force has been consistantly losing yet consistantly getting big crowds. Says a lot about how much Western Australia has been wanting top grade rugby. Unless its just a novelty thing?
No, they generally just have a much stronger sports paticipation culture over there I think. Even the Rugby League Western Reds averaged around 30,000 over there.
But it really justify's the choice of the ARU to give an extra team to them over Melbourne as well. Because there is no way the Melbourne fans would have embraced a rugby team as whole heartedly as the West Australians! They'd have had crowds of 6-8 thousand on average just like the Storm I reckon.

esoj
27-04-06, 08:43 AM
not entirely true there sanzar. league is the only sport that really struggles in melbourne. the a-league team was consistiently getting 10 thousand there and I believe around 11 thousand showed up for the crusaders pre-season game in melbourne.

there is no contest in this at all. the force despite not wining a game always have a decent crowd and I don't think they have had less than 30.000 there yet.

Wally
27-04-06, 08:58 AM
The Melbourne Victory (A-League side) averaged 15,000 over the season, so I think a Melbourne based Super 14 team would have topped that. Even so, the way the game has been embraced in Perth is uncomparable. The Bulls probably get the best crowds though.

sanzar
27-04-06, 08:59 AM
Originally posted by esoj@Apr 27 2006, 07:43 PM
not entirely true there sanzar. league is the only sport that really struggles in melbourne. the a-league team was consistiently getting 10 thousand there and I believe around 11 thousand showed up for the crusaders pre-season game in melbourne.

The A League isn't in competition with the AFL though, and melbourn fans are parochial enough to go close to boycotting a sport that it thinks might take away from their AFL games... and considering that the A-League games ONLY averaged 15,000 (nothing compared to AFL averages) when not in competition with AFL illustrates a contemputuous attitude to anything non AFL in my opinion.

sanzar
27-04-06, 09:00 AM
Originally posted by Wally@Apr 27 2006, 07:58 PM
The Bulls probably get the best crowds though.
big call considering the Force haven't even won a single game this year but still get 30k+ to every game.

Wally
27-04-06, 09:05 AM
Your question was who has the best crowds was it not. The Bulls supporters are both greater in number and in voice.

sanzar
27-04-06, 09:08 AM
Originally posted by Wally@Apr 27 2006, 08:05 PM
Your question was who has the best crowds was it not. The Bulls supporters are both greater in number and in voice.
What's their average this year just out of curiosity?

Groen_en_Goud
27-04-06, 09:09 AM
Apparently Loftus has just about sold out for the Sharks game. Mind you though, the Sharks have huge support where ever they go, so expect a large contingent of Black, Grey and White as well.

The TRUTH
27-04-06, 09:10 AM
The Bulls get the biggest crowds no doubt, Force has the loudest crowd.

I'm not sure why so many ppl have said that the Force has undoubtedly the best crowds...... Bulls and Force are very close, it just depends what your looking at......crowd numbers or atmosphere.

sanzar
27-04-06, 09:14 AM
Originally posted by The TRUTH!!@Apr 27 2006, 08:10 PM

I'm not sure why so many ppl have said that the Force has undoubtedly the best crowds...... Bulls and Force are very close, it just depends what your looking at......crowd numbers or atmosphere.
That's why I phrased it "best" and not biggest ;) . Personally I love the fact that the Force fans not only turn up in numbers, but are very local and are all decked out in Force jerseys!

Rassie
27-04-06, 09:21 AM
Cheetahs and Bulls from SA (no doubt about it)

Western Force and Reds - Aus (debatable)

Chiefs and Blues - NZ (debatable)

esoj
27-04-06, 09:40 AM
Originally posted by sanzar+Apr 27 2006, 09:59 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-esoj@Apr 27 2006, 07:43 PM

The A League isn&#39;t in competition with the AFL though, and melbourn fans are parochial enough to go close to boycotting a sport that it thinks might take away from their AFL games... and considering that the A-League games ONLY averaged 15,000 (nothing compared to AFL averages) when not in competition with AFL illustrates a contemputuous attitude to anything non AFL in my opinion. [/b]
how far does the afl cross over into the league season. I know they basically run side by side but from memory one finishes before the other.

and true fair enough comment about the a-league it does not have competition with the afl when it is being played.

you do have to wonder though what league marketing is doing down there if both a soccer and union can get bigger crowds than what they can. afl competition aside the storm only getting 8 thousand or so a game is disgraceful. epsecially when union got 11 thousand for a pre-season game that didn&#39;t even have a melbourne team in it.

the force would lose out on numbers for sure to the bullls but I think the atmosphere and how the crowd behaves comes into best crowed as well. which is why i think the force win this easily. the team is winless yet they stll get big crowds and from what i have seen on tv everyone is getting into it and is very well behaved.

sanzar
27-04-06, 11:45 AM
Originally posted by esoj+Apr 27 2006, 08:40 PM-->

Originally posted by sanzar@Apr 27 2006, 09:59 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-esoj@Apr 27 2006, 07:43 PM

The A League isn&#39;t in competition with the AFL though, and melbourn fans are parochial enough to go close to boycotting a sport that it thinks might take away from their AFL games... and considering that the A-League games ONLY averaged 15,000 (nothing compared to AFL averages) when not in competition with AFL illustrates a contemputuous attitude to anything non AFL in my opinion.
how far does the afl cross over into the league season. I know they basically run side by side but from memory one finishes before the other.
[/b]
AFL GF is one week before the NRL one, they run virtually side by side.

and true fair enough comment about the a-league it does not have competition with the afl when it is being played.

you do have to wonder though what league marketing is doing down there if both a soccer and union can get bigger crowds than what they can. afl competition aside the storm only getting 8 thousand or so a game is disgraceful. epsecially when union got 11 thousand for a pre-season game that didn&#39;t even have a melbourne team in it.
[/b]
Yeah, but they&#39;ve also had 90,000 to a State of Origin before... They don&#39;t mind a sport if they don&#39;t think it&#39;s their to stay and thus pose the possibility of taking attention away from Victoria&#39;s 10 AFL teams. Trust me, if they see rugby as trying to take any attention away from AFL, then you&#39;ll have another Storm... though probably with slightly better figures because of the lack of home games, the short season and the number of kiwi expats. But it still won&#39;t send them far past a 10,000 average, and they&#39;ll never come close to getting the same support the Force have... and knowing the AFL they&#39;ll probably organise it so that they only ground they can play at will be one of Collingwoods junior development parks.

sanzar
27-04-06, 11:46 AM
Originally posted by Rassie@Apr 27 2006, 08:21 PM

Reds? Mate, the Tah&#39;s and Brumbies both have more consistent support than them... though it&#39;s hard to blame the reds fans at this point.

Rassie
27-04-06, 01:41 PM
Sanzar, is it true that NRL averages less than 15 k per season? I`ve read an article last year about NRL officials being very happy that the average increase from aprox 13,5 K to aprox 15 K (if i`m not mistaken, you post the article in this forum, got to check it anyway). The NRL officals also complained about the fact that in past years there was a decrease of the average, last season being the first when figures begun to raise again after many years!

Which brings me to the second intelligent thing Wally just said in a post before (the first intelligent thing was that remark about the `innovative fags from Sydney" :D , sorry to strss you with that but it`s a miracle Wally can say sometnig that make sence :D ), regarding the possible high average that a Melbourne Union (S14 team) could have had! So true !

Reds supporters are to be appreciated for the passion and their devotment to the team! In my book, they are ok !

sanzar
27-04-06, 09:50 PM
Originally posted by Rassie@Apr 28 2006, 12:41 AM
Sanzar, is it true that NRL averages less than 15 k per season? I`ve read an article last year about NRL officials being very happy that the average increase from aprox 13,5 K to aprox 15 K (if i`m not mistaken, you post the article in this forum, got to check it anyway). The NRL officals also complained about the fact that in past years there was a decrease of the average, last season being the first when figures begun to raise again after many years!

The last few years it&#39;s been steadily rising... But the thing you have to understand about the NRL is that it was heavily damaged in the late ninties by a division within the code known as the Super League war, something that dissenchanted many fans and drastically affected crowd numbers. Ontop of that the numbers are also affected by the fact that Sydney has 9 teams alone, which dilutes the support base a brings down averages across the board... but places like Newcastle and Nth Queensalnd, where there is only one team per city, constantly fill their grounds (Brisbane are in the same bracket, but they have a 50K stadium and only really fill it for the big games).

Which brings me to the second intelligent thing Wally just said in a post before (the first intelligent thing was that remark about the innovative lords from Sydney who are vastly superior to their South African and Kiwi counterparts) regarding the possible high average that a Melbourne Union (S14 team) could have had! So true !
[/b]

Melbourne won&#39;t get good crowds to the Super 14, not with the AFL running at the same time... nothing that&#39;ll be in the same league as the Waratahs, Force or Brumbies in any case. You just don&#39;t understand the dynamic down there, it wouldn&#39;t work. As I said earlier, Perth is a perfect example of success in that ALL codes do well there! Even the Rugby League team the "western Reds" were averaging close to 30k when they were in the comp!

esoj
27-04-06, 10:28 PM
a fair point there sanzar. I knew the overlap between league and afl was close but did not know it was that close. thanks for the info mate.

Mr. Laxative
27-04-06, 10:34 PM
Originally posted by sanzar+Apr 27 2006, 10:46 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-Rassie@Apr 27 2006, 08:21 PM

Reds? Mate, the Tah&#39;s and Brumbies both have more consistent support than them... though it&#39;s hard to blame the reds fans at this point. [/b]
Yeah, I&#39;d probably just go with Brumbies there. We&#39;re down about 4,000 from other years and the crowds are louder than ever - it&#39;s amazing!

All_Blacks_Hurricanes_Lions_Fan
27-04-06, 11:13 PM
Originally posted by Rassie@Apr 27 2006, 10:21 PM
Cheetahs and Bulls from SA (no doubt about it)

Chiefs and Blues - NZ (debatable)
From NZ its the Hurricanes by miles we average 30k+ a game easily.

Groen_en_Goud
28-04-06, 01:39 AM
Originally posted by The TRUTH!!@Apr 26 2006, 10:59 PM
I voted for the Force due to the fact they are yet to get a win and still get awesome crowds all decked out in there jerseys and aruably the best atmosphere in the Super14.

The Bulls also have great crowds so it&#39;s hard to pick between them two, the Bulls crowd is usually the biggest in the comp but when the Force start winning you&#39;d expect them to get over 40,000 every week.

(Waiting for Groen to come and groan about how much Australia sux and how good SA is :P )
You took the words right out of my mouth Truth, so I won&#39;t say anything. :P

Actually, I haved been quite impressed (but not surprised) by the support of the Force Faithful. I doubt this is going to be another passing faze like the Perth Glory was, I think Rugby is here to stay in WA, and the crowds will stay. The public have demanded it, and they have shown in numbers that the ARU made the correct decision in bringing Super Rugby to WA and not Victoria.

Can&#39;t wait for the Sharks to come over next year, Assuming they keep with the practice of Away game one year, Home game the next.

woosaah
28-04-06, 03:04 AM
for new zealand i would say the crusaders over the hurricanes, the fans there are more fanatical

and i have been to both

but then again i am bias

Ripper
28-04-06, 04:40 AM
Originally posted by woosaah@Apr 28 2006, 03:04 PM
for new zealand i would say the crusaders over the hurricanes, the fans there are more fanatical

and i have been to both

but then again i am bias
I highly doubt the Crusaders would sell out all their home games when they are coming 9th like the Canes used to do.

woosaah
28-04-06, 05:28 AM
something wrong with that logic
crusaders coming 9th? not since the first couple of seasons have they been that far :D

Ripper
28-04-06, 05:30 AM
Originally posted by woosaah@Apr 28 2006, 05:28 PM
something wrong with that logic
crusaders coming 9th? not since the first couple of seasons have they been that far :D
They came close in 2001, not sure where they came, but the Cheifs were the highest NZ team at 6th.

woosaah
28-04-06, 05:47 AM
yep your right i blocked that season out

Team GP W D L PF PA BP Pts
Brumbies (Aus) 11 8 0 3 348 204 8 40
Sharks (SA) 11 8 0 3 322 246 6 38
Cats (SA) 11 7 0 4 285 244 6 34
Reds (Aus) 11 6 0 5 300 277 8 32
Highlanders (NZ) 11 6 0 5 284 295 5 29
Chiefs (NZ) 11 6 0 5 301 330 4 28
Stormers (SA) 11 5 0 6 282 281 6 26
Waratahs (Aus) 11 5 0 6 306 302 5 25
Hurricanes (NZ) 11 5 0 6 291 316 5 25
Crusaders (NZ) 11 4 0 7 307 331 7 23
Blues (NZ) 11 4 0 7 243 298 5 22
Bulls (SA) 11 2 0 9 241 378 3 11

10th for the crusaders. i dont know why i forgot that season. i had season tickets and it was the worse season either

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/rugby/new...er12_standings/ (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/rugby/news/2001/03/04/super12_standings/)

kaftka
28-04-06, 06:02 AM
Best crowds, the Bulls.

Best SUPPORTERs, the Force.

Hell, they are the best crowds as well. Watching the Crusaders - Force game last week, they just would not be quiet. And those Force jerseys must be freaking cheap. Every man and his dog had one.
I can see that in a couple of years when the force start to do okay, the will be tough to beat at home.

The TRUTH
28-04-06, 06:40 AM
Originally posted by kaftka@Apr 28 2006, 02:02 PM
And those Force jerseys must be freaking cheap. Every man and his dog had one.

I got mine for $100, but most people have been paying $120 ...... bloody rip off, but they look great.

woosaah
28-04-06, 06:52 AM
i still dont like the force jerseys hate the colour

Rassie
28-04-06, 06:57 AM
Off topic: Thanks for the info Sanzar, anyway, your effort it`s not in vain, i really understand things about rugby crowds and their mentality ! :D

The TRUTH
28-04-06, 06:58 AM
I love em........and not just coz i support them

IMO they got the best kit in all rugby.

Jacaranda blue is the shiz

kaftka
28-04-06, 07:07 AM
I like the colour... I think the design however could be fixed up a bit. The front is fine, the back looks crap. The away kit is the worst kit in the Super 14... Apart from the Reds kit.

Wally
28-04-06, 08:45 AM
Originally posted by kaftka@Apr 28 2006, 07:07 PM
I like the colour... I think the design however could be fixed up a bit. The front is fine, the back looks crap. The away kit is the worst kit in the Super 14... Apart from the Reds kit.
There&#39;s nothing wrong with the Reds kit you chromer. Infact, it&#39;s one of the best. And the Force alternative kit is pretty much the same as the Hurricanes one.

_/

Let it be known that AFL crowds are just phsyco. They got 90,000 to the ANZAC Day game on Monday. It averages the third highest crowds in the world behind the NFL and the EPL.

Ripper
28-04-06, 09:15 AM
Originally posted by Wally+Apr 28 2006, 08:45 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-kaftka@Apr 28 2006, 07:07 PM
There&#39;s nothing wrong with the Reds kit you chromer. Infact, it&#39;s one of the best. And the Force alternative kit is pretty much the same as the Hurricanes one.

_/

Let it be known that AFL crowds are just phsyco. They got 90,000 to the ANZAC Day game on Monday. It averages the third highest crowds in the world behind the NFL and the EPL. [/b]
Yeah... in Melbourne.

kaftka
28-04-06, 09:32 AM
The Reds kit is Fugly.

Bring back the good ol&#39; plain maroon I say.

The Force away kit just looks horrible.

The TRUTH
28-04-06, 09:33 AM
Perth has the highest city attendance average for Aussie Rules, both the Eagles and Freo get 40,000+ a game.

Adelaide Crows would average around 35-40,000

Sydney 30-35,000

Brisbane around 30,000

So not just Melbourne

-JJ-
30-04-06, 10:06 PM
I haven&#39;t really been able to watch much rugby other than the Chiefs this year, but I&#39;d have to say it seems like the Force crowd is pretty good. And not sure about this year, but in previous years the Hurricanes have always had a pretty good crowd.

Wally
30-04-06, 11:35 PM
Just on the topic of crowds, the Waratahs are still in the hunt to host the grand final at Telstra Stadium now that the Crusaders have drawn and lost a game in consecutive weeks. Wouldn&#39;t a turn out of 80,000 really get up the leaguies in the middle of their domestic competition and around the time of the first State of Origin.

woosaah
30-04-06, 11:44 PM
pft, dont think they will get a sell out even if it was a final. especially around SOO time

Wally
01-05-06, 12:18 AM
They&#39;ll come close mate. There&#39;s a lot of support for rugby in Sydney, and the old boys would come out in their droves to see their beloved Waratahs in a final for the first time.

sanzar
01-05-06, 03:47 AM
Originally posted by woosaah@May 1 2006, 10:44 AM
pft, dont think they will get a sell out even if it was a final. especially around SOO time
They&#39;ll do 80 thousand standing on their head if they get into the GF... Seriously, no one more than a Waratahs fan knows how hard it is to get a home GF, and people will be turning out in their droves if they can do it! I&#39;ll be there if I can get a ticket!

Zambaman
01-05-06, 05:36 AM
It&#39;d be hilarous if the Warratahs were all set for a home final, with their fans beaming with anticipation of finally getting it, and then lost in the semis. :lol:

The TRUTH
01-05-06, 05:52 AM
Originally posted by Zambaman@May 1 2006, 01:36 PM
It&#39;d be hilarous if the Warratahs were all set for a home final, with their fans beaming with anticipation of finally getting it, and then lost in the semis.* :lol:
Lose in the semis to who..... the Hurricanes? Bwahahaha.......as if.

sanzar
01-05-06, 05:53 AM
Originally posted by Zambaman@May 1 2006, 04:36 PM
It&#39;d be hilarous if the Warratahs were all set for a home final, with their fans beaming with anticipation of finally getting it, and then lost in the semis. :lol:
Wouldn&#39;t happen, because the tickets and venue change would only happen after the semi.

sanzar
01-05-06, 05:59 AM
If you think about the current situation though, if all goes according to plan and the Tahs extract Maximum points from their last 2 encounters (which will be a very tough assignment...) and the Brumbies win their last 2 games, then we will be in a position to have an All Aussie FINAL! I doubt it&#39;ll happen because of the nature of the comp, but here&#39;s hoping!

The TRUTH
01-05-06, 06:05 AM
I wanna see the Brumbies play the Crusaders in the semis, they&#39;ve beaten the Crusaders the last three times they have played them and the way the Crusaders are playing now i&#39;d put my money on the Brumbies(larkham will be back).

Hurricanes suck, Tahs will have no problems with them.

All Aussie final infront of 80,000+........ bring it on :bleh!:

Zambaman
01-05-06, 06:16 AM
Originally posted by sanzar@May 1 2006, 05:59 PM
If you think about the current situation though, if all goes according to plan and the Tahs extract Maximum points from their last 2 encounters (which will be a very tough assignment...) and the Brumbies win their last 2 games, then we will be in a position to have an All Aussie FINAL! I doubt it&#39;ll happen because of the nature of the comp, but here&#39;s hoping!
Nah, you guys are talking crap. Deans and the Crusaders are foxing. You wait &#39;til the final, when the Crusaders come out and pull out a 50+ point ball game, in front of the Sydney crowd! :ph34r: :lol:

sanzar
01-05-06, 06:16 AM
Originally posted by The TRUTH!!@May 1 2006, 05:05 PM
I wanna see the Brumbies play the Crusaders in the semis, they&#39;ve beaten the Crusaders the last three times they have played them and the way the Crusaders are playing now i&#39;d put my money on the Brumbies(larkham will be back).

Hurricanes suck, Tahs will have no problems with them.

All Aussie final infront of 80,000+........ bring it on :bleh!:
Man, that would be just brilliant! It&#39;d easily be the best atmosphere at a S12/14 final to date if it were to happen. So much better than all these GF&#39;s at dinky little NZ stadiums or the miniscule Camberra stadium.

sanzar
01-05-06, 06:18 AM
Originally posted by Zambaman+May 1 2006, 05:16 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-sanzar@May 1 2006, 05:59 PM
Nah, you guys are talking crap. Deans and the Crusaders are foxing. You wait &#39;til the final, when the Crusaders come out and pull out a 50+ point ball game, in front of the Sydney crowd! :ph34r: :lol: [/b]
I guess we&#39;ll have to wait and see ;) , in any case though, a 50+ ballgame is less likely than seeing Johny Wilkinson play more than 10 minutes without being injured again... unless of course the 50+ is from the Tahs :P .

The TRUTH
01-05-06, 06:20 AM
Originally posted by Zambaman+May 1 2006, 02:16 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-sanzar@May 1 2006, 05:59 PM
Nah, you guys are talking crap. Deans and the Crusaders are foxing. You wait &#39;til the final, when the Crusaders come out and pull out a 50+ point ball game, in front of the Sydney crowd! :ph34r: :lol: [/b]
50+? ..... that would be more than the Tahs have conceded all season, i dont see that happening....... Crusaders are far too predictable.

Zambaman
02-05-06, 10:07 AM
Nobody would have thought we&#39;d put 96 on them! :lol: ;) :P

C A Iversen
02-05-06, 10:29 AM
Originally posted by woosaah@Apr 28 2006, 03:04 PM

and i have been to both

but then again i am bias

I merely say, the drunker the crowd the better. More female streakers, the better, and other such inappropriate behaviour.

sanzar
02-05-06, 10:29 AM
Originally posted by Zambaman@May 2 2006, 09:07 PM
Nobody would have thought we&#39;d put 96 on them! :lol: ;) :P
Tahs weren&#39;t holding the best defensive record in the history of the comp at that point though ;) .

woosaah
04-05-06, 03:17 AM
tru, but didnt they come second that year?

Candyman
04-05-06, 09:03 AM
Well i have to say that the highlanders had a bloody good crowd when they played the cats at Rugby park in invercargill. It was a bigger and better crowd than what they get at carisbrok dunedin.