PDA

View Full Version : Round 14- Waratahs v Hurricanes

Dumbo
08-05-06, 10:23 AM
The Tah’s (ranked 2nd) take on the Canes (ranked 3rd), both teams are guaranteed to make the semi’s… both teams have quality players (but will the coaches be looking to take things easy in the build up to the semi’s)… can’t pick this one… should be close

Rassie
08-05-06, 10:25 AM
Who wins will have a home semifinal. Tahs can still get no 1 but i don`t think Crusaders will lose vs Brumbies!

The TRUTH
09-05-06, 09:54 AM
The 2 big fixtures this week look like they'll be semi final previews

I dont think any of these teams will wanna give too much away this week but the winners will gain alot of confidence going into the finals.

I predict a Tahs win by 15.

Dumbo
09-05-06, 09:55 AM
15?

Canes by 5 (no bets... pick on someone else)

kaftka
09-05-06, 10:08 AM
Canes to win 27-19

No bull.

aussie1st
09-05-06, 10:27 AM
Tahs will win they won't want to let Whits leave without a home semi.

esoj
10-05-06, 12:36 AM
yeah this game is about who gets the home semi. I am sure both teams will leave something for the semis and will most likely bench key players once the result is known. the canes seems to be a bit flat at the moment and I think the tahs can get the win and a home semi.

Candyman
10-05-06, 04:57 AM
Lets put it this way both teams better put on a better proformance thiss week

Canes by 8

woosaah
11-05-06, 01:47 AM
Hurricanes-Waratahs clash a sell out
11 May 2006*

Morgan Turinui will play his 50th match for the Waratahs against the Hurricanes on Saturday at a sold-out Aussie Stadium.

The final-round Super 14 rugby match that will decide who meet who in the semifinals will be witnessed by more than 40,000 at the stadium.

"Morgan has been a valuable contributor to the team since 2003 and it's fitting he play his 50th game in front of a full house," Waratahs coach Ewen McKenzie said of the midfield back.

The only change to the side that lost 33-37 to the Chiefs last week will see Stephen Hoiles start at No. 8, with David Lyons shifting to the bench.

The winners of Saturday's match will claim the right to host a Super 14 semifinal next weekend.

Waratahs: Peter Hewat, Wendell Sailor, Morgan Turinui, Sam Norton-Knight, Lote Tuqiri, Mat Rogers, Chris Whitaker (captain), Stephen Hoiles, Phil Waugh, Rocky Elsom, Daniel Vickerman, Alex Kanaar, Al Baxter, Adam Freier, Benn Robinson
Reserves: Tatafu Polota-Nau, Matt Dunning, Will Caldwell, David Lyons, Brett Sheehan, Daniel Halangahu, Shaun Berne
[/b]

http://www.stuff.co.nz/stuff/0,2106,3664814a1823,00.html

Go the tahs, hmmm go the cains. hmmm dont know who to go for really. and dont even know if i will watch the game. should be a good atmosphere there though.

good luck to both teams, and i am sure the better team on the day will win (or at least the team with the most points)

esoj
11-05-06, 07:31 AM
it's all about the home semi this week. i would like to see the canes win as they haven't had one yet and it might give them confidence they need to win the semi. although so long as they win next week it won't matter where they play.

QKXV
11-05-06, 07:46 AM
Originally posted by esoj@May 11 2006, 07:31 AM
it's all about the home semi this week. i would like to see the canes win as they haven't had one yet and it might give them confidence they need to win the semi. although so long as they win next week it won't matter where they play.
I agree completely with Esoj here in this and the earlier post. My head tells me that the Tahs will win this one but I hope I am pleasantly suprised by a hurricane victory. 27-24 to the Tahs

Hurricanes:
1 John Schwalger, 2 Andrew Hore, 3 Neemia Tialata, 4Luke Andrews, 5Jason Eaton, 6Jerry Collins, 7Chris Masoe, 8Rodney So’oialo (Captain), 9Piri Weepu 10Jimmy Gopperth, 11Shannon Paku, 12 Tana Umaga, 13Ma’a Nonu, 14Lome Fa’atau, 15Isaia Toeava
The reserves:16Luke Mahoney17Joe McDonnell18Ross Kennedy19Thomas Waldrom20Brendan Haami21 Lifeimi Mafi;22Tamati Ellison

Waratahs: Peter Hewat, Wendell Sailor, Morgan Turinui, Sam Norton-Knight, Lote Tuqiri, Mat Rogers, Chris Whitaker (captain), Stephen Hoiles, Phil Waugh, Rocky Elsom, Daniel Vickerman, Alex Kanaar, Al Baxter, Adam Freier, Benn Robinson
Reserves: Tatafu Polota-Nau, Matt Dunning, Will Caldwell, David Lyons, Brett Sheehan, Daniel Halangahu, Shaun Berne

Candyman
12-05-06, 12:34 AM
Tough tough game i don't know who to pick in this game so i am going for a DRAW

aussie1st
12-05-06, 10:25 PM
I hope Rogers shows his class at 5/8. Hes been a bit off colour since his return. Defence will need to pick up as well.

Gay-Guy
12-05-06, 10:30 PM
Yep....I can't pick a winner here either.....

...actually...my head tells me the Tahs by a fair bit....comfortable win.....

...my heart wants the Canes....but they never step up enough....

sanzar
13-05-06, 01:20 AM
Originally posted by Gay-Guy@May 13 2006, 09:30 AM
Yep....I can't pick a winner here either.....

...actually...my head tells me the Tahs by a fair bit....comfortable win.....

...my heart wants the Canes....but they never step up enough....
After last weeks lax performance you'd think they'd been shaken from their complacency and step up a fair bit... The Tah's do have the ability to win this comp, and tonight will show if they have the will.

esoj
13-05-06, 06:59 AM
well just heard on the radio sailor is out. not sure of the reason yet.

edit: sailor breached the aru code of conduct and is suspended indefintely for now. that is all the tahs can say legally

The TRUTH
13-05-06, 07:10 AM
Tahs sack Wendell Sailor
May 13, 2006
NSW Waratahs Wendell Sailor has been stood down for tonight's crucial Super 14 match against the Hurricanes at Aussie Stadium for an alleged serious breach of the ARU Code of Conduct.
NSWRU says it is legally bound by confidentiality requirements and is unable to elaborate on the alleged breach at this time.

Sailor has been stood down indefinitely pending a full investigation.

The winner of the pivotal last-round encounter between the second-placed Waratahs and the third-placed Hurricanes will secure the home-ground advantage for next Saturday night's sudden-death semi-final between the two teams.

The Crusaders will play either the Sharks or the Bulls in the first semi-final in Christchurch on Friday night after clinching the minor premiership last night with a 33-3 victory over the Brumbies.

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story...34-1702,00.html (http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,20867,19123934-1702,00.html)

esoj
13-05-06, 08:29 AM
rumour coming through on the radio is that it could be to do with a prohibited drug

kaftka
13-05-06, 10:31 AM
Gopperth you lucky *******... I was sharpening my blade during that first half. I gonna have your head... Good try... Lucky lucky *******.

19-7 Halftime.

3 tries to 1.

0 penalties.

Good game.

Kimmy_The_Kiwi
13-05-06, 11:20 AM
C'mon the canes..HOLD ON!!

Man that hit tana did was f***ing gold!! <3

kaftka
13-05-06, 11:30 AM
Originally posted by Kimmy_The_Kiwi@May 13 2006, 11:20 PM
C&#39;mon the canes..HOLD ON!!

Man that hit tana did was f***ing gold!! <3
What a foul mouth...

f*** YEAH!!!!!!!!!!

Home semi bitches!!!!

aussie1st
13-05-06, 11:38 AM
Shocking display from the Tahs. They have fallen apart over the past 2 weeks. Rogers has had 2 shockers at 5/8 and Brene well don&#39;t know why they started him, should have just found some other back to play wing as Norton Knight has been awesome at 12.

Gay-Guy
13-05-06, 11:42 AM
Man the Hurricanes really surprised me......

....next week will be the real deal though....Tahs might turn up with their A game.......

aussie1st
13-05-06, 12:05 PM
The A game is long gone it seems. The choking seems to have started. It&#39;s definitely not good to go into the semis with 2 losses and going from the verge of a home final to no hosting.

sanzar
13-05-06, 12:54 PM
The bloody Sailor saga really f***ed their preparation... and they just played like they were supposed to be doing something else! oh well, they still might pull their **** togeather before next week and win... they certainly have the ability to, they just need to be a little less conservative at times.
But I was worried as soon as I saw the sheds before the match to be honest... The Canes had come pumped and with their game faces on, while the Tahs had taken the "Business as Usual" approach, and that doesn&#39;t win you the big games all that often...

Wally
13-05-06, 02:08 PM
I didn&#39;t see the game but the Waratahs must have played something chronic to lose to the Hurricanes. Especially at home. And especially to the Hurricanes. Weren&#39;t Wellington even down a couple of players?

Mehrtsisagod
13-05-06, 09:32 PM
New Zealand&#39;s Hurricanes defeated Australia&#39;s New South Wales Waratahs 19-14 on Saturday to finish the Super 14 competition in second place and secure home advantage for next week&#39;s semifinals.

Holy crap I can&#39;t believe the Waratahs have lost twice in a row.

Positive drugs test for Sailor

Sailor in trouble again
Hurricanes win home semi

May 14, 2006

Wallabies and Waratahs winger Wendell Sailor&#39;s rugby career is in jeopardy after being banned from playing indefinitely after returning a positive drugs test.

Sailor was stood down from Saturday night&#39;s Waratahs match after being notified last week by the Australian Sports Anti-Doping Authority that part A of a sample he provided recently had returned positive.

He could face a two-year ban if a B sample confirms the banned substance.

It is not known yet if it is a recreational or performance-enhancing drug.

Courtesy of tvnz.co.nz

aussie1st
13-05-06, 10:11 PM
Originally posted by Wally@May 14 2006, 02:08 AM
I didn&#39;t see the game but the Waratahs must have played something chronic to lose to the Hurricanes. Especially at home. And especially to the Hurricanes. Weren&#39;t Wellington even down a couple of players?
It was the same gameplan the Brumbies used against the Crusaders. Kick the ball away.
So you didn&#39;t miss much.

THE CHIROPRACTOR101
13-05-06, 11:37 PM
hahahahah finally!

i saw turinui get owned by big tana schmana hahaha..shame

tana > gasnier

kaftka
13-05-06, 11:56 PM
Great suff by Collins and Umaga in that game... Masoe as well...

...And if Ma&#39;a&#39;s o&#39;f&#39;f&#39;l&#39;o&#39;a&#39;d&#39;s stuck more often I would be his number one f&#39;a&#39;n.

aussie1st
14-05-06, 12:15 AM
Turini ain&#39;t that great. Hes a great thinker but he doesn&#39;t have the power or footwork that a Nonu or Mortlock has.

kaftka
14-05-06, 12:22 AM
He&#39;s fat and useless... Very overrated

Gay-Guy
14-05-06, 02:45 AM
I never saw the game but I heard that Mortlock got bumped badly by Carter......

I also heard that even Scott Hamilton fended off Mortlock.

woosaah
14-05-06, 03:37 AM
thats because the greatest american hero is well the greatest

ps i really do hate scott hamilton :)

Candyman
14-05-06, 06:45 AM
ALRIGHT THE HURRICANES WON!!!! All semis in new zealand.

thats because the greatest american hero is well the greatest[/b]

believe it or not i&#39;m walking on air

Gay-Guy
14-05-06, 06:54 AM
Originally posted by Candyman@May 14 2006, 06:45 PM
ALRIGHT THE HURRICANES WON!!!! All semis in new zealand.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE
thats because the greatest american hero is well the greatest

believe it or not i&#39;m walking on air [/b][/quote]
I nver thought I could feel so free-ee-ee