PDA

View Full Version : Heineken Cup 2006/7

SmokeyMonkey
01-06-06, 02:52 PM
Anyway the Heineken Cup kinda starts tommorow with the Dragons!!!, Biarritz, Munster and Sale. Which is similar to what we had last year.

Anyway, if we don't win tomorrow I think I will just go and hang my self with my Dragons jersey!

THE ACTUAL DRAW

Pool One: Treviso, Perpignan, Wasps, Castres

Pool Two: Edinburgh, Agen, Gloucester, Leinster

Pool Three: Sale, Stade Francais, Calvisano, Ospreys

Pool Four: Cardiff, Bourgoin, Leicester, Munster

Pool Five: Ulster, Toulouse, London Irish, Llanelli

Pool Six: Biarritz, Northampton, Parma, Border Reivers

Heineken Cup schedule:

Round One: 20-22 October
Round Two: 27-29 October
Round Three: 8-10 December
Round Four: 15-17 December
Round Five: 12-14 January
Round Six: 19-21 January Quarter-finals: 30 March-1 April
Semi-finals: 21-22 April
Final: 19/20 May (Twickenham)

Bullitt
01-06-06, 03:03 PM
Originally posted by SmokeyMonkey@Jun 1 2006, 02:52 PM
*Anyway, if we don't win tomorrow I think I will just go and hang my self with my Dragons!!! jersey!
;)

harrison2468
01-06-06, 03:30 PM
Where is this Dragons match to? Italy or Wales?

SmokeyMonkey
01-06-06, 03:34 PM
It's in Wales, looks like they're going to rotate it every year.

edinburgh_gunner
01-06-06, 04:31 PM
Well you've been pumped twice in your last 2 games, so it won't be easy. Never seen this Italy team play, but it's a potential bannana skin.

Black-Monday
01-06-06, 05:01 PM
To be honest, I think the Dragons should walk it, they are up against a side with no Italian internationals, and we all know the great strength in depth the Top 10 has in Italy.

BM

An Tarbh
01-06-06, 06:21 PM
Is this not a 2 leg match?

loratadine
01-06-06, 08:09 PM
nope, one of winner takes all, i think the dragons will have too much, and win by 30 pts.

parmas star player went to my school. hes there canadian lock

An Tarbh
01-06-06, 10:01 PM
I think this play off thing is a joke anyway, Dragons don't deserve to be in the HEC. Their league position proves that yet they get some get out of jail free card and all they have to do is beat the 3rd placed Italian Super 10 team, I know Cardiff had the same last year but they shouldn't have had the opportunity either

loratadine
01-06-06, 11:32 PM
umm i disagree, who else should have there place?

An Tarbh
02-06-06, 12:08 AM
It should be a third Italian team, no one country should have all their teams in the one competition, at least 1 should have to play in the Challenge Cup so why should Wales be any different.

gjohn85
02-06-06, 12:14 AM
Originally posted by SmokeyMonkey@Jun 1 2006, 01:52 PM
Anyway the Heineken Cup kinda starts tommorow with the Dragons!!!,* Biarritz, Munster and Sale. Which is similar to what we had last year.*

Anyway, if we don't win tomorrow I think I will just go and hang my self with my Dragons jersey!
I swear he's a Scarlets fan.

Christ.... It only felt like a month ago when I was watching Cardiff Blues play a qualifying game against an Italian team (forgot who it was)

loratadine
02-06-06, 01:04 AM
because the dragons are more competitve than the italian sides and should therefore have more teams in than the italians, thats like saying, why should eng or spain have 4 entrants to the cl when wales only have one.

An Tarbh
02-06-06, 08:19 AM
Well then on that argument you could say that the English and French teams playing in the Challenge Cup this season should have been in the HEC at the expense of some of the Welsh or Scottish teams.

SaintsFan_Webby
02-06-06, 09:00 AM
Originally posted by An Tarbh@Jun 2 2006, 08:19 AM
Well then on that argument you could say that the English and French teams playing in the Challenge Cup this season should have been in the HEC at the expense of some of the Welsh or Scottish teams.
That's a good point.

Gloucester and London Irish would have put in a good showing judging by this season, and Northampton stuffed the Dragons in whatever the **** domestic cup is called now (Mark Soden > Micheal Owen).

I think three quarters of a nations teams getting into the competition is more than enough, I wouldn't see the harm in allowing the Italians another place. There is no way their club sides will become more competitive otherwise.

SmokeyMonkey
02-06-06, 10:10 PM
...this would be a lot easier if my Dragons jersey wasn't short sleeved...

harrison2468
02-06-06, 10:11 PM
Holy crap!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_unio...lsh/4770225.stm (http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_union/welsh/4770225.stm)

Great news for Italian rugby.

loratadine
03-06-06, 01:37 AM
i didnt see the match but maybe its a blessing in disguise as there squad cannot compete on two major fronts.

harrison2468
03-06-06, 08:56 AM
But there are bound to be financial implications now. The Dragons by the looks of it need to recruit wisely, especially as two of their best players in Forster and Luscombe have left now.

An Tarbh
03-06-06, 09:15 AM
Turner has been saying that there's 5 or 6 signings in the offing, be interesting to see how many of them actually sign now they won't be in the HEC

SmokeyMonkey
05-06-06, 04:55 PM
Anyone know when the draw for the tournaments are? I thought that the Dragons would&#39;ve had a good chance in the Challenge Cup even if they lost but after Friday&#39;s performance I&#39;m not so sure... :( Hopefully it was a bleesing in disguise! <_<

Black-Monday
05-06-06, 06:43 PM
The ECC can be a blessing in disguise, ok it ain&#39;t a pot o&#39; money but Sale won it a year or two back, and look where we are now.

Silverware can improve the morale of any teams, and it&#39;ll be nice to see someone bar the GP competing for the ECC title.

BM

harrison2468
06-06-06, 01:05 PM
Looking at what London Irish did to Parma though, and they didn&#39;t even win the ECC, I sense the Dragons will need to improve a lot before having a good chance in it.

Canadian_Rugby_Guy
07-06-06, 12:36 AM
I&#39;d like to point out there were two Cdn internationals in the Italian team :D

SmokeyMonkey
07-06-06, 02:15 PM
And a few American as well... :rolleyes:

SmokeyMonkey
19-06-06, 10:18 PM
Anyway, a sneak preview of what I&#39;ve &#39;heard&#39; is the groups.

Blues, Agen, London Irish, Munster

Ulster, Stade Francais, Gloucester, Calvisano

Biarittz, Wasps, Leinster, Overmach

Edinburgh, Bourgoin, Saints, Ospreys

Treviso, Perpignan, Leicester, Borders

Sale, Toulouse, Scarlets, Castres

edinburgh_gunner
19-06-06, 10:31 PM
I though that the group draw was made publically? Still, I&#39;ll take that group. Saints, Ospreys and Bourgoin all beatable at home, and a possible couple of results away from home.

Bullitt
19-06-06, 10:32 PM
Well, that&#39;s an easy route to the 1/4s than! :D

An Tarbh
19-06-06, 11:03 PM
Heard another one for Leinster with Sale, Stade Toulousain and Parma.

SmokeyMonkey
20-06-06, 07:35 AM
Heard another one for Leinster with Sale, Stade Toulousain and Parma.[/b] Yeah I heard that. But look.

Originally posted by myself
Blues, Agen, London Irish, Munster

Ulster, Stade Francais, Gloucester, Calvisano

Biarittz, Wasps, Leinster, Overmach

Edinburgh, Bourgoin, Saints, Ospreys

Treviso, Perpignan, Leicester, Borders

Sale, Toulouse, Scarlets, Castres

It&#39;s similar...

Teh Mite, you&#39;ll be looking forward to watching Henson play then eh? :lol:

edinburgh_gunner
20-06-06, 07:47 AM
Originally posted by Teh Mite@Jun 19 2006, 09:32 PM
Pfff....that&#39;s probably another &#39;group of death&#39;. Any of the 4 teams could win it. No easy games for anyone.

SaintsFan_Webby
20-06-06, 07:58 AM
Originally posted by edinburgh_gunner+Jun 20 2006, 07:47 AM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-Teh Mite@Jun 19 2006, 09:32 PM
Pfff....that&#39;s probably another &#39;group of death&#39;. Any of the 4 teams could win it. No easy games for anyone. [/b]
Anyone could.

We will though. ;)

Looking forward to seeing Reihana take a dump on Henson if those are the groups.

Bullitt
20-06-06, 08:08 AM
Or JC. Or Quinlan. Or Cohen. Or Lamont. Or Davies. OR Robinson. Or Los. Or Budgen.

Hell, I&#39;ll even play and out fox the Pencoed ****.

edinburgh_gunner
20-06-06, 05:42 PM
Originally posted by SaintsFan_Webby+Jun 20 2006, 06:58 AM-->

Originally posted by edinburgh_gunner@Jun 20 2006, 07:47 AM
Pfff....that&#39;s probably another &#39;group of death&#39;. Any of the 4 teams could win it. No easy games for anyone.
Anyone could.

We will though. ;)

Looking forward to seeing Reihana take a dump on Henson if those are the groups. [/b]
Dont&#39; be so cocky. We and the Ospreys have beaten better sides than the Saints, and come a hell of a close to beating others.

SaintsFan_Webby
20-06-06, 06:48 PM
Originally posted by edinburgh_gunner+Jun 20 2006, 05:42 PM-->

Originally posted by SaintsFan_Webby@Jun 20 2006, 06:58 AM

Originally posted by edinburgh_gunner@Jun 20 2006, 07:47 AM
Anyone could.

We will though. ;)

Looking forward to seeing Reihana take a dump on Henson if those are the groups.
Dont&#39; be so cocky. We and the Ospreys have beaten better sides than the Saints, and come a hell of a close to beating others. [/b]
It&#39;s King Carlos mania in this part of the country, hard not to be cocky. ;)

Being fair though, we beat Toulouse season before last and nearly got relegated. Heineken Cup brings out the best in us. Most of the time.

edinburgh_gunner
20-06-06, 07:31 PM
Aye, but he&#39;s just one player. I&#39;d still like to see him poop all over Henson, and playing him could make Godman into a fantastic 10.

loratadine
20-06-06, 10:22 PM
those aint the pools, the draw is made tmos, but as an ospreys fan id love to get the saints.

next season well be a diff beast, and northampton will find it very hard to beat the ospreys.

An Tarbh
20-06-06, 10:23 PM
even 2 years ago when they won the CL they still did **** all in Europe and they weren&#39;t beseiged by injuries either.

loratadine
20-06-06, 10:25 PM
yes but they were still a fairly new region, and the sqaud was still going through a building phase.

next season we have strengthend our side, and have signed some top players. i belive we have enough quality to win the cl, and get to the qf of the hec.

harrison2468
21-06-06, 12:57 PM
Pool One: Treviso, Perpignan, Wasps, Castres

Pool Two: Edinburgh, Agen, Gloucester, Leinster

Pool Three: Sale, Stade Francais, Calvisano, Ospreys

Pool Four: Cardiff, Bourgoin, Leicester, Munster

Pool Five: Ulster, Toulouse, London Irish, Llanelli

MightyQuin
21-06-06, 01:00 PM
Anyword on the Challenge Cup - is that being drawn today as well?

Also, thats one hell of group Munster have found themselves in there ... that&#39;ll teach them to win it!!!!!

el_tk
21-06-06, 01:21 PM
Interesting groups- I think the best second placed teams will come from pools Six and Three.

I reckon Leinster will qualify but they have no easy games there although it depends if Agen take an interest in the HEC.

Anybody fancy Leicester&#39;s chances against Munster in Thomond?

Boy
21-06-06, 03:01 PM
You&#39;d probably pick Perpignan, Leinster, Stade Francais, Munster, Toulouse and Biarritz to go through as group winners. Northampton have got a decent chance of getting one of the runners up spots, as you&#39;d expect Borders and Parma to ship more than their share of points.

SaintsFan_Webby
21-06-06, 03:42 PM
Cracking group for us, couldn&#39;t have hoped for much better looking at the rest.

We have to be looking to pick up at least 5 wins really, seeing as Biarritz are French and therefore vulnerable away from home.

Obviously can&#39;t afford to underestimate Parma or the Borders, but we should be looking at qualification from the group.

DonBilly
21-06-06, 03:42 PM
Stade Franšais will have to face Sale Sharks and this won&#39;t be an esay draw.

edinburgh_gunner
21-06-06, 04:20 PM
That group gives the Gunners a really good chance of qualification, either as winners or as best runners up.

MightyQuin
21-06-06, 05:15 PM
Last season 22 points was the mark to qualify as best runner up - sorry but I can&#39;t see the runner up in Edinburgh&#39;s pool getting over 20 points to be honest.

Best chance of points is pools 3 and 6, where Parma and Calvisano would look to be the weakest teams. Saying that though, Treviso actually conceded the most points last season, and Castres shipped in quite a few, so Perpignan and Wasps could both come out of pool 1 with over 22 points.

IMO, Pools 2, 4 and 5 look too balanced to produce a high scoring 2nd place qualifier - but hey, what do I know, thats why we watch the games!!

Bullitt
21-06-06, 05:47 PM
Champions Munster face Leicester

http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/41793000/jpg/_41793376_munstcelfinal203.jpg

Heineken Cup champions Munster will face old rivals and former champions Leicester in the 2006/07 group stages.

Cardiff Blues and French side Bourgoin make up one of the toughest pools.

English champions Sale have Parisians Stade Francais in their group, which also includes Ospreys and Calvisano, while Wasps face Perpignan and Castres.

Top Irish seed Ulster have a fiendishly hard group with Toulouse, Scarlets and London Irish, while Leinster face Edinburgh, Gloucester and Agen.

Northampton, who finished sixth in the English Premiership, have the least demanding of the groups despite the presence of 2006 finalists Biarritz, with the Italians Overmach Parma and Scottish side the Borders making up the pool.

Leicester pipped Munster in the 2002 Heineken final, but the Irish province won at Welford Road in the quarter-finals the following year.

Munster hooker Frankie Sheehan said: "It will be tough. Leicester have been the most consistent team in Europe for the last four or five years and Cardiff finished last season very well, but hopefully we can get through it."

Leicester managing director David Clayton added: "This is a great draw for the club and its supporters and we are all looking forward to the challenge, particularly the two matches against Munster."

The first-seeded sides from each of the six nations - Biarritz (France), Treviso (Italy), Sale (England), Ulster (Ireland), Cardiff Blues (Wales) and Edinburgh (Scotland) - were drawn in separate pools.

The first round of the tournament will be played on the weekend of October 20-22, with the final at Twickenham on the weekend of 19/20 May 2007.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Pool One: Treviso, Perpignan, London Wasps, Castres

Pool Two: Edinburgh Gunners, Agen, Gloucester, Leinster

Pool Three: Sale Sharks, Stade Francais, Calvisano, Ospreys

Pool Four: Cardiff Blues, Bourgoin, Leicester, Munster

Pool Five: Ulster, Toulouse, London Irish, Llanelli Scarlets

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Heineken Cup schedule:

Round One: 20-22 October
Round Two: 27-29 October
Round Three: 8-10 December
Round Four: 15-17 December
Round Five: 12-14 January
Round Six: 19-21 January Quarter-finals: 30 March-1 April
Semi-finals: 21-22 April
Final: 19/20 May (Twickenham)

An Tarbh
21-06-06, 08:19 PM
Reasonably good draw for Munster and Leinster, both should qualify, a lot tougher for Ulster though you certainly wouldn&#39;t think they were the seeded Irish team now. Leicester playing in Thomond Park should be quite an occasion to savour, one of the few teams who haven&#39;t played there.

Black-Monday
21-06-06, 10:11 PM
Yes, the Ospreys will be Whipping boys next year. I just hope Henson comes to Edgeley park along with Marshall. I loved barracking him!

BM

propandlovingit
22-06-06, 10:24 PM
problem with that is were proabably end up 2nd, and that means a match against, leiceter, toulouse, stade francais who knows!!

Bullitt
22-06-06, 10:27 PM
To be fair, Northampton are a much stronger side than 2 years ago, so they&#39;d at minimum be able to give the top sides a good game instead of a pummeling this time round.