PDA

View Full Version : EDF ENERGY ANGLO-WELSH CUP

loratadine
24-09-06, 05:28 PM
well its back, and it was interesting to here kingsley jones on scrum v saying that the english sides will be taking it alot more seriously this year because of the amount of money involved in it, kingsley actually said that sale will field a full strength side for the home games against newcastle falcons and the llanelli scarlets.

three matches on this weekend

friday there ospreys vs gloucester.

now the ospreys need to start performing, the squad theyve got should be able to match anyones in the world, just poor management at the moment. Gavin Henson was one of the rare players to stand out against ulster, and made a few decent breaks. its a tough one to call with gloucester flying high but i expect a close win for the ospreys, 24-19

wasps vs blues

this one being at the arms park, i can see the blues winning this one, wasps are commited to retaining there title, but against a strong blues side infront of a fierce home support i think the blues will win.

blues 28
wasps 17

scarlets vs nec harlequins

the way the scarlets are playing is very daunting for any world class side let alone a side as poor as nec harlequins, if dwayne peel is fit then id expect a cricket score, ummm im going to say

scarlets 42
harlequins 14

SmokeyMonkey
24-09-06, 06:27 PM
And I guess the Dragons don't count?????

By the way we'll be lucky if just the Scarlets win next weekend, the Ospreys and Blues will seriously have to play better to even stand a chance of winning. As for the Dragons, I'll just be happy if we lose by less than 30 points!

loratadine
24-09-06, 06:59 PM
i was covering the games which are going to be showed on t.v

SmokeyMonkey
24-09-06, 07:05 PM
I guess you don't have S4C then?

Bullitt
24-09-06, 09:43 PM
Yet still not one Englishman gives 2 ****s about this mickey mouse of a tournament.

loratadine
24-09-06, 11:34 PM
thats cos your above the welsh. :/

SaintsFan_Webby
25-09-06, 07:58 AM
its a tough one to call with gloucester flying high but i expect a close win for the ospreys, 24-19
[/b]

If the Ospreys play like they did against Ulster (and assuming Dean Ryan actually takes the match seriously) then Gloucester will rip them a new hole.

I wouldn't be at all suprised to see a weakened Quins team get thrashed at Stradey Park though, because as Teh Mite said, no one who is English really cares about the competition.

loratadine
25-09-06, 08:58 AM
no, maybe the fans dont which is a shame, because wales and england is the oldest and the best rivalry in england, im in no doubt that if the english put there passion and energy behind it then this tournament could be a massive thing, but until they start respecting the welsh as opposition that aint going to happen.

SaintsFan_Webby
25-09-06, 09:34 AM
no, maybe the fans dont which is a shame, because wales and england is the oldest and the best rivalry in england, im in no doubt that if the english put there passion and energy behind it then this tournament could be a massive thing, but until they start respecting the welsh as opposition that aint going to happen.
[/b]

It's not about any lack of respect for the Welsh as opposition. The fact is that compared to the Guinness Premiership and European Cup competitions, this holds no romance or tangable reward for clubs. The season is long enough as it is, and for those teams battling it out on two fronts already it is simply seen as an annoyance and opportunity to rest key men.

Plus the majority of English rugby fans (myself included) are unhappy that the opportunity for lower league clubs to meet the big guns has been removed.

It's the equivilent of the FA Cup being thrown out in football and replaced by a knockout competition with only the Premiership teams, plus Celtic, Rangers and Total Network Solutions thrown in.

Quite frankly there is no point, as the majority of clubs meet often enough as it is anyway, and it totally removes the highlight of playing teams from across the border in the Heineken Cup.

MightyQuin
25-09-06, 10:40 AM
I also agree that there is a lack of interest from the English regarding this competition.

I suspect Quins will get hammered by the Scarlets, but I also suspect neither they nor the Quins fans will really care, as long as no-one picks up any injuries. Premiership survival is worth far more to Quins than winning a diluted Euro cup.

Also, as a supporter of a weaker English team, I don't feel there is anything for Quins in the tournament, as let's face it, they would need to win 4 matches against premiership standard teams to win the cup - which ain't gonna happen!
Bring back the old style cup, as not only did you give lower division English clubs the chance to cause an upset (e.g. the Bees stinging Wasps - sorry!), you also gave weaker premiership teams the chance to have a good couple of draws and end up at Twickenham (e.g. Leeds, Quins, Irish and Newcastle in the last few years) - whereas the current format favours the stronger clubs.

loratadine
25-09-06, 06:20 PM
i do see what you mean, it would be nice if they could have put more thought into it, maybe a knockout comp ala the old english cup, just with the regions thrown in would have been alot better.

what do you think??

SaintsFan_Webby
25-09-06, 07:23 PM
i do see what you mean, it would be nice if they could have put more thought into it, maybe a knockout comp ala the old english cup, just with the regions thrown in would have been alot better.

what do you think??
[/b]

Only if the regions were placed in at the first round stage and faced away trips to Mosely and West Hartlepool... ;)

loratadine
25-09-06, 07:26 PM
but of course.

i think it would be well good, seeing gavin henson lace up at some dump in lancashire.

getofmeland
26-09-06, 07:11 PM
I feel this cup needs an FA Cup Style..... Where you have the National League 1 sides competing, so that there is likely to be the chance of an upset... and maybe also include the equivilant teams from wales... (sorry dont know whats under the Celtic League)...

Do we want a forum for this topic???

SmokeyMonkey
26-09-06, 09:35 PM
The isn't anything 'under' the Celtic League, it's like the NFL or Super 14, some players play for them as well as the premiership teams like Newport, Aberavon, Cardiff, Llanelli, Neath, Bridgend and Swansea etc.

Cymro
28-09-06, 09:43 PM
Llandovery, Ebbw Vale, Cross Keys, Pontypridd, Pontypool, Masteg, Bedwas and Glamorgan Wanderers

DonBilly
29-09-06, 08:53 AM
It's strange that the the Anglo-Welsh Rugby Union cup is called in such a way...

RoyalBlueStuey
29-09-06, 11:30 AM
I don't trust competitions with group stages where you play certain teams at home and others away. It's just not a truly fair way of doing it.

The UEFA Cup is a shambles why copy it?

PS Cymro...isn't it milking it a bit to claim Wales did the Grand Slam, Triple Crown and were Six Nations champions. Wouldn't Grand Slam on it's own cover it?

loratadine
29-09-06, 05:19 PM
who cares, stop going on about it

i mean why bring it up

your 31, does it really bother you tht much, like the english have never milked something 1966 anyone?

grow up mate

loratadine
29-09-06, 08:12 PM
ospreys 49
glouscester 19

gavin henson played really well, scored a nice try and wrapped up 24 pts.

Bullitt
29-09-06, 09:35 PM
Looking at Gloucesters starting lineup, they obviously showed the tournament the contempt it deserves.

loratadine
29-09-06, 09:39 PM
and the ospreys showed glouscester the contempt they deserve.

loratadine
30-09-06, 03:31 PM
the blues beat wasps 36-20

gethin jenkins played immense, and shanks and martyn williams also played well.

SaintsFan_Webby
30-09-06, 10:43 PM
gethin jenkins played immense, and shanks and martyn williams also played well.
[/b]

Is Tom Shanklin back to full fitness now?

loratadine
30-09-06, 10:51 PM
pretty much yeah, just a case of game time now.

RoyalBlueStuey
10-10-06, 01:14 PM
who cares, stop going on about it

i mean why bring it up

your 31, does it really bother you tht much, like the english have never milked something 1966 anyone?

grow up mate
[/b]

Ooooooooooooh

http://members.westnet.com.au/flippy/otheritems/images/handbag01-front.jpg

bit touchy aren't we!

Rugby_Cymru
30-10-06, 07:31 PM
So do the English REALLY have no interest in this competition?
I mean, it's a real shame coz i really love the idea of going heaed to head with the English.
We very rarely get a chance to do that at club level any more (twice a year at HC are certain fixtures, that's it).
Why is there such utter disregard for the competition.
The winning club is given a very nice lump sum at the end of the competition.
I heard a rumour that the winner of the EDF gets more than the winner of the HC.
I find that hard to believe, but i know there's a fair amount at the end.

Is it not enjoyable for the English fans?

I mean, the Welsh clubs are actually putting a good fight this year, now that they've got their injured players back and on form.
Ospreys "2nd" team getting a cracking win against Bath.
Dragons putting a good result over Northampton.
Cardiff putting Saracens to rest by the end.
Only Scarlets forgot to turn up for their game against a poor Newcastle.

I'm going to continue enjoying this competition.
It's of great value to the Welsh, even if the English do regard it as a mere annoyance.

loratadine
28-11-06, 11:11 PM
the english should be thanking there lucky stars that they get to see some attractive winning rugby

anyways comp back in action this week

the big games are

blues vs irish - blues need a point and has anemd a strong side, with gethin jenkins,martyn williams and mike phillips all starting

scarlets vs sale - could be a close one, interesting to see what sides are picked, if the scarlets go all out they could cause sale problems what with all there injury woes

and the big one for me ospreys vs bristol

id like to see this side

1-duncan jones
2-barry williams
3-andrew millward
4-brent cockbain
5-lyndon bateman
6-andy lloyd
7-steve tandy
8-filo tiatia

9-justin marshall
10-shaun connor
11-nikki walker
12-gavin henson
13-sonny parker
14-stefan terblanche
15-lee byrne

resting hook,adam jones, ian evan alun wyn jones and ryan jones and of course shane.

think thats a strong side, connors been going well at 10, and i think henson needs game time.

but who knows with lyn i wouldnt be suprised if none of the welsh boys play, and in the sam vain i wouldnt be surprised if they all play.

SaintsFan_Webby
29-11-06, 12:30 AM
Why is there such utter disregard for the competition.
[/b]

Because it isn't as good as the old one.

Because we play the same teams as in the league.

Because it adds more fixtures to our already crowded season.

Because the structure is so poor that the groups never change.

Basically, it means nothing to the fans.

Imagine getting rid of the FA Cup from football - that's bascially what they've done.

Rugby_Cymru
29-11-06, 12:49 PM
and the big one for me ospreys vs bristol

id like to see this side

1-duncan jones
2-barry williams
3-andrew millward
4-brent cockbain
5-lyndon bateman
6-andy lloyd
7-steve tandy
8-filo tiatia

9-justin marshall
10-shaun connor
11-nikki walker
12-gavin henson
13-sonny parker
14-stefan terblanche
15-lee byrne

resting hook,adam jones, ian evan alun wyn jones and ryan jones and of course shane.

think thats a strong side, connors been going well at 10, and i think henson needs game time.

but who knows with lyn i wouldnt be suprised if none of the welsh boys play, and in the sam vain i wouldnt be surprised if they all play.
[/b]

Resting Hook in my opinion would be a bad move.
The kid hasn't exactly been overworked during the autumn internationals.
He needs to be brought back down to earth after having the highs of the internationals - having not experienced playing at home before this autumn - and the best way would be for him to start at 10.
Lyn needs to get his act right.
Hook HAS TO start and he HAS TO start at 10. Full Stop.
Gav at twelve, quality ball from Marshall at 9.
This is the way the backs should be and Lyn jones better be proving himself right, because if Ospreys don't get anything again this year then Lyn will have no excuse.
The man will HAVE TO leave.

loratadine
29-11-06, 03:46 PM
yeah thats a good point regarding hook, i think your right.

loratadine
30-11-06, 05:33 PM
Ospreys: L Byrne; N Walker T Selley, J Hook, J Vaughton/R Mustoe; S Connor, J Spice; D Jones (capt), H Bennett, C Griffiths, AW Jones, L Bateman, F Tiatia, S Tandy, R Jones.
Replacements: B Williams, A Millward, B Cockbain, AN Other, M Roberts, G Henson, A Bishop.

thts the line up, interesting, id like to see hook 10 henson 12 for calvisano

Rugby_Cymru
30-11-06, 09:54 PM
It's the bloody 'B' team again.
With Hook so wrongly placed in there.

loratadine
30-11-06, 10:44 PM
10 hook
12 henson

capiche!!!

Rugby_Cymru
01-12-06, 05:44 PM
Spot on, my man!
Spot on!
:lol2tn:

Bullitt
02-12-06, 01:27 AM
One match tomorrow sums up what most of us think of the tournament; Northampton Wanderers vs. Leicester Cubs.

******** tournament, anyone?

loratadine
02-12-06, 03:41 AM
it will be with tht attitude.

edinburgh_gunner
02-12-06, 07:27 AM
Just a question for the Ospreys fans...

How's Niki Walker been doing in Wales? Just curious as to whether or not he might be able to force is way back into the full 22. He's not got anything on Lamont, Paterson or Webster, but is he potential bench warming material?

Bullitt
02-12-06, 09:16 AM
it will be with tht attitude.[/b]

Well, on the plus side the reserves get a large attendence.

SaintsFan_Webby
02-12-06, 09:46 AM
it will be with tht attitude.
[/b]

Have you seen the teams?

SmokeyMonkey
02-12-06, 10:04 AM
If Northampton beat the Dragons then maybe this match wouldn't be such a dead rubber with reserves playing! You can't make a point now after you're already out!

SaintsFan_Webby
02-12-06, 10:11 AM
If Northampton beat the Dragons then maybe this match wouldn't be such a dead rubber with reserves playing! You can't make a point now after you're already out!
[/b]

But what's the point in having a cup competition like this with dead rubbers?

The old format > The existing rubbish

loratadine
02-12-06, 10:19 AM
i dont give a f***, im looking forward to both angloe welsh games today, i cant see the scarlets winning against sale.

sale have names an impressive side.

Bullitt
02-12-06, 10:46 AM
The way they're currently playing combined with the injuries, the Scarlets shold **** all over them IMO.

getofmeland
02-12-06, 11:07 AM
I have said once and I will say it again... Pointless competion, stick in the National League 1 sides with the welsh and english elite sides then see the excitement and sport grow...

Bath face Gloucester today, at Gloucester, I am expecting Gloucester to win this quite easily but considering that not many people care about it Gloucester could announce a weakened team which could actually give Bath a chance but like i said I dont see it happening...

SmokeyMonkey
02-12-06, 06:18 PM
SF lineup: Leicester, Blues, Sale and the Ospreys

loratadine
02-12-06, 08:13 PM
james hooks try was awesome.

Rugby_Cymru
02-12-06, 10:09 PM
So considering i finish work at 5.30pm and get home by 6pm(ish) i fully expected to miss the first half of the Ospreys game.
Only problem is, when i got home i found out, to my horror, that we had...NO ELECTRICITY!

I know the Welsh are behind times, but come on...is a constant supply of electricity so hard to ask for?
Especially come Osprey match time!

Sounds like i missed a cracking Hook try.
:ranting:

loratadine
02-12-06, 11:10 PM
how sexy is my new sig.

Rugby_Cymru
02-12-06, 11:38 PM
Not quite as sexy as me, but DAMN it's close. :)

I've not seen one English person on this board who DOESN'T think that competition is a waste of time.

That's a real shame - i think the Wales/England rivalry is a great one, but clearly the English don't feel it anymore at club level.

SaintsFan_Webby
02-12-06, 11:49 PM
That's a real shame - i think the Wales/England rivalry is a great one, but clearly the English don't feel it anymore at club level.
[/b]

We already get to play Welsh clubs in the Heineken Cup, and value those contests.

However, English fans also used to love seeing the smaller clubs earning the chance to go head-to-head with the big guns. The analogy I will constantly refer to is that of the FA Cup. Imagine taking this away from football fans - this is what it feels like they have done to English rugby.

And all that is before you even get started on how crap the setup of the competition itself is.

Rugby_Cymru
03-12-06, 07:40 PM
<div class='quotemain'>
That&#39;s a real shame - i think the Wales/England rivalry is a great one, but clearly the English don&#39;t feel it anymore at club level.
[/b]

We already get to play Welsh clubs in the Heineken Cup, and value those contests.

However, English fans also used to love seeing the smaller clubs earning the chance to go head-to-head with the big guns. The analogy I will constantly refer to is that of the FA Cup. Imagine taking this away from football fans - this is what it feels like they have done to English rugby.

And all that is before you even get started on how crap the setup of the competition itself is.
[/b][/quote]

Fair enoug. I&#39;m not trying to sway you in your feelings towards the competition; i just wanted a good competitive competition that can be enjoyed by us on both sides of the border (which doens&#39;t include any other nation).

Rugby_Cymru
05-12-06, 08:34 PM
Anyway, Cardiff v Ospreys, Leicester v Sale semi-finals in cardiff!
Wooh!

Who&#39;s going?
Any chance of a TRF meetup, or could the English folk amongst us not give a flying f***?

Black-Monday
05-12-06, 10:23 PM
Nah, we don&#39;t. Why should I go all the way to cardiff. To watch us beat Leicester like usual. Then have to go home because watching the next game would strand us their overnight.

BM

loratadine
05-12-06, 10:43 PM
nah they wudnt wnt to go to the ms, the welsh may be a bit too rowdy for them, cos the welsh no how to let go of there inhibitions an create an atmosphere unlike twickers which is like a funeral.

Rugby_Cymru
06-12-06, 12:00 AM
...To watch us beat Leicester like usual...
[/b]

How did Sale win anything last seaeson when ANY of their fans think like this?
How about, watching the game for the sake of rugby.
Support your team, yes. But also enjoy the atmosphere, partake in some friendly banter with the drunken valley idiots besides you and forget your worries, because you&#39;re in Cardiff the city that never* sleeps.

*NB. "Never" meaning, "only after 3am"

SaintsFan_Webby
06-12-06, 04:44 AM
nah they wudnt wnt to go to the ms, the welsh may be a bit too rowdy for them, cos the welsh no how to let go of there inhibitions an create an atmosphere unlike twickers which is like a funeral.
[/b]

Ever been to Twickenham? Particularly for a domestic cup final?

Bullitt
06-12-06, 07:06 AM
<div class='quotemain'>
[/b]

Ever been to Twickenham? Particularly for a domestic cup final? [/b][/quote]

Don&#39;t bite, he&#39;s stirring **** to start another fight.

loratadine
06-12-06, 10:11 AM
i have actually been to twickenham a few times if you must know, ive seen wales against england and i went to see the hec final in 2004, wasps vs tolouse, where tht idiot poitrenaud made a tit of himself

but ive never seena domestic game, maybe there more passionate about there grassroots rugby cos twickenham is renowned for being dead, i mean i saw wales get beaten by england, at twickers a few years back, and anyone would have thought england were loosing!!

Prestwick
06-12-06, 11:50 AM
<div class='quotemain'> <div class='quotemain'>
[/b]

Ever been to Twickenham? Particularly for a domestic cup final? [/b][/quote]

Don&#39;t bite, he&#39;s stirring **** to start another fight.
[/b][/quote]

I don&#39;t know, in all his frantic stirring, he forgot his spelling and punctuation. This results in nobody actually understanding what he actually types.

I think it might be all of those compulsory Welsh lessons y&#39;see, turns the mind into mush. :bleh!:

Bullitt
06-12-06, 11:54 AM
i have actually been to twickenham a few times if you must know, ive seen wales against england and i went to see the hec final in 2004, wasps vs tolouse, where tht idiot poitrenaud made a tit of himself

but ive never seena domestic game, maybe there more passionate about there grassroots rugby cos twickenham is renowned for being dead, i mean i saw wales get beaten by england, at twickers a few years back, and anyone would have thought england were loosing!! [/b]

That&#39;s because England fans don&#39;t get to watch them; The RFU give all the tickets to the Prawn Sandwiches, if you take my meaning.

loratadine
06-12-06, 04:02 PM
ahh ok fair enough then my mistake.