PDA

View Full Version : Melbourne Cup Challenge

C A Iversen
11-10-06, 04:52 AM
Righto guys, if this title turns out to be an awesome online experience, who's going to come online with me and doubtlessly AK47 to either punt on the nags, or race them down the home straight?

We could even have a TRF League, or something like that. If the facilities allow, we could race or bred and trained horses against each other and have a points table posted up, etc.

We could allow each TRF member to have two horses in their stable, and hold a season against each other, or something.

What will you name your two horseys, eh?

Lets have some names then....those interested and yer possible horse names.

C A Iversen - Rick Rude & Robbedofthetrophy - Xbox or PC
Woosaah - Carlosblowsgoats & ? - Platform ?
dobrien7 - ? & ? - Platform ?
AK47 - Hoof Hearted & ? - Platform N/A (Sadly)

You know it makes horse-sense....

woosaah
11-10-06, 05:03 AM
yeah ill be in, what platform is everyone getting it on though? if its live then i ll have to be out as i only have online on pc. and lets just say the my xbox is unable to do live.

but pc for me

as for horse names, ill get back to ya :)

though my fav would be carlosblowsgoats

dobrien7
11-10-06, 05:13 AM
Depending on platform chosen, I'm in...

ak47
11-10-06, 05:28 AM
I havent got the broadband at home guys, so I will be there in spirit

But my horse will be called "Hoof Hearted"

Cant wait to see what audio comes out of that name down the back stretch

Radman
11-10-06, 08:33 AM
Originally posted by Mario
We have something on the way prior to release that may keep you entertained. More details in the next couple of days...

Just quoting Mario from the MCC forums, could be a demo. Expectations are very low but thinking of the possibilities for the exposure of the game it would be a good idea.

C A Iversen
11-10-06, 09:52 AM
That it would. Sounds interesting!

woosaah
11-10-06, 10:54 AM
Originally posted by ak47
I havent got the broadband at home guys, so I will be there in spirit

But my horse will be called "Hoof Hearted"

Cant wait to see what audio comes out of that name down the back stretch

sounds good ak, you could be in our virtual league, someone could record it and upload it for you to watch O.o :)

Radman
12-10-06, 02:18 AM
I was right!, find it here (http://www.melbournecupchallenge.com/)

doovepop
12-10-06, 02:21 AM
I was right!, find it here (http://www.melbournecupchallenge.com/)
[/b]

R radman you beat me to it
:lol:

ak47
12-10-06, 02:42 AM
guys can you please post some feedback of this demo

i cant do anything with my work pc

woosaah
12-10-06, 03:49 AM
guess what i am downloading when i get home

no not that

oh maybe

but yes i will download this :)

Radman
12-10-06, 04:06 AM
guys can you please post some feedback of this demo

i cant do anything with my work pc
[/b]
I think it is great, I'm probably now leaning towards the PC version for online play, modding and so on. But it really is good, the camera footage and commentary when viewing races in betting mode is really good imo, just like real life.
The betting party is a blast, just had a go with the olds and it was really quite exciting watching our horses race like watching it on TV with all the various angles, fantastic!. This coming from a newbie to horse racing games, I can not wait for this game...so I'll keep playing the demo!.

woosaah
12-10-06, 10:49 PM
right, i was really looking forward to this game, but not so sure now.
ill still probably get it as i like supporting sidhe.

but anyway my thoughts...

I had 1 race (only had time for one race) came first. lead through the whole race til near the end. pulled back on the rains and then hoofed it and won by a big margin, i am pretty sure it was on easy, and i didnt have a clue what i was doing. it was a bit like the horse racing simulator/manager game that cianide put out a while ago.

did the betting thing, that was boing if you are playing by yourself, if you ahve more people i guess this could be funish, but i guess everyone would want to have some interest in horse racing. but if you did want to bet on the horses it would be better to do it in real life. first time i took the favourite, it finished near the back of the pack, the second time i took a trifector of 2 of the favs and number 4, i think i got one horse 4th and that was it. seams a bit random.

graphics, now i didnt turn them up full (was tempted to but my gf came over) the cut scene before the race looked pretty good, but the game itself, meh wasnt to impressed. they all seamed to ahve the same animation for running and if they are all in sinc then it just looks like they are dancing like cheerleaders or something.

the audio...

very average imo, the league was well done, where this is pretty average. if i get this game, the audio is the thing that will let it down for me the most. it had random horses in the races (i guess they are random) and it dint sound right as some horses had a different pitch for each name sounded like a prepubesent boy sometimes. and some of the other comentary was 2 repetitive

thats my view after 1 race and 2 bets :)

ak47
12-10-06, 11:33 PM
right, i was really looking forward to this game, but not so sure now.
ill still probably get it as i like supporting sidhe.

but anyway my thoughts...

I had 1 race (only had time for one race) came first. lead through the whole race til near the end. pulled back on the rains and then hoofed it and won by a big margin, i am pretty sure it was on easy, and i didnt have a clue what i was doing. it was a bit like the horse racing simulator/manager game that cianide put out a while ago.

did the betting thing, that was boing if you are playing by yourself, if you ahve more people i guess this could be funish, but i guess everyone would want to have some interest in horse racing. but if you did want to bet on the horses it would be better to do it in real life. first time i took the favourite, it finished near the back of the pack, the second time i took a trifector of 2 of the favs and number 4, i think i got one horse 4th and that was it. seams a bit random.

graphics, now i didnt turn them up full (was tempted to but my gf came over) the cut scene before the race looked pretty good, but the game itself, meh wasnt to impressed. they all seamed to ahve the same animation for running and if they are all in sinc then it just looks like they are dancing like cheerleaders or something.

the audio...

very average imo, the league was well done, where this is pretty average. if i get this game, the audio is the thing that will let it down for me the most. it had random horses in the races (i guess they are random) and it dint sound right as some horses had a different pitch for each name sounded like a prepubesent boy sometimes. and some of the other comentary was 2 repetitive

thats my view after 1 race and 2 bets :)
[/b]

:o

Wow woosaah, thats is in stark contrast to views from everyone else

u have handed down the first "not so sure about this" feedback :)

hey the audio is a 1st for this genre - no other game has commentary, so its better than nothing even if its a little scewiff

keep playing man, coz i value ur opinion moreso than most on the sidhe forums.....actually it wont matter i am buying this game purely so i can race at my local tracks....whether it be good or not, it wont matter.............its like too local for me to surpass.....and i love the racing!!!

:bravo: :D

woosaah
13-10-06, 03:23 AM
the comentary reminds me of the early richie benaue(sp) in the cricket. very stop start and didnt really flow, but yes it is the first game with its own comentary.

i might have another quick race or 2, ill see if i can record a race and upload it for ya if you like :)

woosaah
13-10-06, 07:14 AM
screw that, it came out to about 700mb with fraps O.o

and i cant be bothered compressing it :)

esoj
13-10-06, 08:52 AM
omg this is seriously badass guys.

had 3 races on the demo so far.

1st race went too fast and had nothing left for the home straight and finished 13th

second race lasted a bit longer but still went a bit early and got run down with 250m too go amd finished 12th

third race started off fast early then slowed down and waited in behind the leaders then with about 400 to go went around the leaders and had enough to win fairly easily.

I am not into horse racing games at all but this defintely has everything I like in a game. you have to think about where you are in the race etc and your horse even has prefered postioning on where it wants to be. you have to decide when to make your run otherwise you get mowed down by going to early. will defintely consider buying this game now

ak47
14-10-06, 01:09 AM
truly brilliant esoj

woosaah
14-10-06, 02:11 AM
i had a race where i was leading from the start, then right near the end kicked in the whip and won by alot, yet to lose a race.

esoj
14-10-06, 04:08 AM
I think it is mainly because it is on easy you can win fairly easily.

I think on higher difficuilties the positioning and timing of your run will be more important than it is in the demo.

dobrien7
14-10-06, 08:34 AM
omg this is seriously badass guys.

had 3 races on the demo so far.

1st race went too fast and had nothing left for the home straight and finished 13th

second race lasted a bit longer but still went a bit early and got run down with 250m too go amd finished 12th

third race started off fast early then slowed down and waited in behind the leaders then with about 400 to go went around the leaders and had enough to win fairly easily.

I am not into horse racing games at all but this defintely has everything I like in a game. you have to think about where you are in the race etc and your horse even has prefered postioning on where it wants to be. you have to decide when to make your run otherwise you get mowed down by going to early. will defintely consider buying this game now
[/b]
Similar story to tell, went too hard early, got a miserable 15th, then timed it better to fade to 3rd. Enjoying it so far, realise the real deal will be better, it is only a demo after all. Keen to get the betting going...

dobrien7
15-10-06, 02:43 AM
Todays form: Blew my $100,000 with silly bets, none of which came even close :P

Racing - got 5th, last, then 6th.

Woosaah - what tactics are you doing, as I always get mowed down with about 200m to go?

woosaah
15-10-06, 06:50 AM
tactics? what tactics. mainly i sit behind the top 3 or 4 try stay in touch with the leader and with 500m to go run wide pump up the speen and near the end get out the whip

dobrien7
15-10-06, 06:57 AM
tactics? what tactics. mainly i sit behind the top 3 or 4 try stay in touch with the leader and with 500m to go run wide pump up the speen and near the end get out the whip
[/b]
So you leave whipping till the end? I whack away as soon as the icon pops up, maybe I'm thrashing my poor old nag and using up energy too quick...

Generally enjoying it though :cheers:

esoj
15-10-06, 07:20 AM
it's quite easy with a horse that likes to be out in the front. just take the lead or be near it and your horse should like it which builds up your potenial. just wait a bit on the back straight and from about the 500-400m use the rest of your stamina up then just use the whip and you should win easily as your potential will have built up nicely during the race. just remember to keep an eye on both stamina and potenial before going otherwise you will use both before reaching the 100m and will proabbly lose

winning with horses that like to hang back is a bit trickier. you have to leave your run a bit later because your horse will prefer sitting back and you won't be able to just blast through like you can with a front running horse.

I am loving this game and tried the betting out was quite cool seeing my horse get up for a place .

dobrien7
15-10-06, 07:34 AM
I got 6th with a horse that likes to hang right back... was leading but got run down, but then that's racing isn't it :)

I tried a $1,000 quinfecta = a $99,960 bet! Got 5, 7, 9, 11, 12 lol

dobrien7
15-10-06, 08:10 AM
http://img223.imageshack.us/img223/3444/mccae4.jpg

Woohoo! My best finish yet, thanks to Woosaah and Esoj's advice, cheers guys :D

esoj
15-10-06, 10:01 AM
no problem dude you will get the hang of it of when to run and when to hang back.

C A Iversen
15-10-06, 11:34 AM
Gotta say, I've got back from my weekend with Any & Kimberley and I downloaded it quick and had a go on Betting Party. It's def not random, as it's about adding up all the factors and making an educated guess. I think this feature will have more value in groups, hence the name betting "party".

I picked a horse for a place and it got third, and in my second race I bagged a Quinella. I think this game will have a lot of promise when the actual release comes out.

I agree with Woosaah about the animation, (It's all fairly similar) which doesn't worry me to be honest, as horses are not as easy to animate as cars etc.

I don't agree about the commentary. It's pretty good as the games doing a lot of positional changes at once whilst trying to seemlessly integrate theose changes into a smooth commentary. In my opinion it's a helluva first effort for that kind of vocal performance.

ak47
15-10-06, 09:54 PM
i am druling over these posts

this is special

esoj
15-10-06, 10:37 PM
oh hell yes it is special.

and this is just the demo we are talking about here. the full release will be even better.

woosaah
15-10-06, 11:22 PM
am i allowed to still be scheptical? i will still by the game though

got to support fellow new zealanders doing stuff i love

C A Iversen
15-10-06, 11:38 PM
No worries, Woosaah, course you can be sceptical. It's not perfect by any stretch and we don't want to rave about a release before it's even out there. Thats been done before, and has been a mistake in the past.

Was just showing where my view contrasted with yours. I agreed about the animations though as they don't show a lot of variation. Might be just to keep the demo down to a managable download.

Those of us who are already praising it, may end up picking a few holes in it later, for now though, it's a whole new development in NZ gaming.

ak47
16-10-06, 12:50 AM
boys i have heard the demo's quality is subject to ur PC specs

ie different pc's get different audio and gameplay quality

read the sidhe forums - alot of mixed reports from alot of people, which has come down to ones pc performance or something

perhaps this is why woosaah's and ivo's opinion on sound differ

at the end of the day i have extreme confidence to like this game

whether it be not as good as G1 or Gallop in games overall quality

the fact its a local release with local races and tracks just make me drule

there will be no doubt dispite the 10 year limited career lifespan, i shall still be playing this game next year 2007 in my 40th career, simply because there is still that chance i can breed a better horse

C A Iversen
16-10-06, 01:01 AM
That would explain things if my sound cards better than Woosaahs or whatever. I'm sure that Wooz is a great judge of a game, as has been in the past. I think he'll make an awesome jockey when the final game comes out.

I'm sort of predisposed to liking this kind of game though, as horse-racing is a life-long interest of my old man and I had to pickup a little of that. Just a little though.

All in all it's good to have something to finally comment on about this game.

I'll certainly be set for a start in the cup. I hope they have that trumpet tune that you always hear at a racetrack.

woosaah
16-10-06, 01:03 AM
i have my pc pushed right up to max settings the course looks sweet its just the animations of the horses.

nothing wrong with my pc specs, its quick enough and i get an average fps of 60+

as for the sound, its bearable, and it definatly is needed but i am pretty picky when it comes to games now days. with all the games out there some things need to be done pretty well for me. thats why i bagged the rl2, it was rubbish

C A Iversen
16-10-06, 01:09 AM
Thats good horse-sense Woosaah. We've got to be sure on these things, and judge them on the home turn to finish, not what it's like going down the back straight.

Sure it's just cantering now, but can it raise the strong gallop required?

ak47
16-10-06, 01:42 AM
http://img223.imageshack.us/img223/3444/mccae4.jpg

Woohoo! My best finish yet, thanks to Woosaah and Esoj's advice, cheers guys :D
[/b]

Doobee you great general

any chance u can youtube a race for us to see?? :D

u came good on the game trailor, thanks man

come on son!!! :cheers:

esoj
16-10-06, 01:45 AM
well one small thing i noticed a few times while being near the front next to the rails is that it seems to freeze now and then. it looks very strange and is proabbly a faulty animation or something but it can be a bit off putting and defintely doesn't look right.

woosaah
16-10-06, 01:48 AM
havnt had mine freeze yet.

i did capture a race and a bet for upload to youtube. i need to compress it though.

i can do that as i found some new software ill try and do it tonight when i am not busy (doubt that) also i have to watch the cricket tonight, even though shane isnt playing so i have plenty of time to caputre that and stuff for the torny :)

a good 8 hours anyway :)

esoj
16-10-06, 01:53 AM
ah yes the cricket should be good hopefully.

the freezing doens't happen all the time and only ever seems to happen when you are up against the rails and near the front. so I think it is just some kind of animation that glitches in that situation for some reason.

C A Iversen
16-10-06, 02:17 AM
So, esoj. Would you consider some online gaming on either PC or Xbox live if this proves to be worthy?

esoj
16-10-06, 03:21 AM
I will defintely consider pc it's all I have.

dobrien7
16-10-06, 04:57 AM
I will defintely consider pc it's all I have.
[/b]
Ditto as too much of a hassle to Xbox Live for me...

AK, looks like Woosaahs going to whip some footage up for us there mate :)

esoj
16-10-06, 05:58 AM
I am sure a few of the guys here will play it on both maybe. and yeah seems like woosaah has got the movie footage covered.

woosaah
16-10-06, 07:01 AM
uploading now, hopefully

dobrien7
16-10-06, 09:03 AM
http://img237.imageshack.us/img237/7719/mccwinua6.jpg

Yuss! First win!!!

esoj
16-10-06, 09:07 AM
good stuff.

dobrien7
16-10-06, 09:46 AM
good stuff.
[/b]
Cheers mate :cheers:

Whipped up a race I managed to record thanks to Woosaahs help :bravo:

Hope the link works...

My First Recorded Win At MCC (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U5_DDMIOqGQ)

esoj
16-10-06, 10:24 AM
excellent stuff there dobrien. that is how you do it folks get your horse in a nice position build up that potenial and then pick your moment around 500m odd mark and then go for it.

woosaah
16-10-06, 10:12 PM
sweet dude, my connection kept timing out, now i dont have to do it :)

ak47
16-10-06, 10:41 PM
<div class='quotemain'>
good stuff.
[/b]

Hope the link works...

[/b][/quote]

brilliant work Doobees

now that i know a few things i can vent some issues/concerns

1st. - Camera Angle - surely there is another higher one, and hopefully you can swivel the camera to pan around during the race
2nd - the replay - surely there is a manual selection screen, and where i can view the full replay and not the auto replay kick in and watch the final 200m
3rd - Commentary - FLAWLESS - utterly class, pure bliss u cant beat what i just heard

ok i gotto watch it again :bleh!:

ak47
16-10-06, 10:52 PM
its absolutely sensational

i see how the positioning works

u want the green arrow up moreso than yellow and red, in which keeps ur horse condition (top left horse head) in the green...if u move up to the lead it goes yellow chewing more stamina and gaining less potential, if u move to the back it goes red, and ur horse is hard ridden, not happy...even worse than the yellow positions

i cant fault the track either!!!!

woosaah
16-10-06, 11:30 PM
well i think ak will be onto a winner here.

hope you enjoy the game :) i am getting used to the audio, its just a bit repettitive and sometimes not that acurate. if you listen in the video near the end it says that his horse (not sure what its name was now) was on the rails. but in fact he was about 5 or 6 horses out off the rails (though in the lead or close to it at that point) but still i am warming up to the commentary.

esoj
16-10-06, 11:35 PM
<div class='quotemain'>
<div class='quotemain'>
good stuff.
[/b]

Hope the link works...

[/b][/quote]

brilliant work Doobees

now that i know a few things i can vent some issues/concerns

1st. - Camera Angle - surely there is another higher one, and hopefully you can swivel the camera to pan around during the race
2nd - the replay - surely there is a manual selection screen, and where i can view the full replay and not the auto replay kick in and watch the final 200m
3rd - Commentary - FLAWLESS - utterly class, pure bliss u cant beat what i just heard

ok i gotto watch it again :bleh!:
[/b][/quote]

1. quite possibly there is because you can change camera view and you can also look left and right

2. not sure if there will be or not the auto replay isn&#39;t too bad as on the demo it starts from the 2200m mark.

3. commentary is quite good and it adds to the experince a lot.

ak47
17-10-06, 01:15 AM
well i think ak will be onto a winner here.

hope you enjoy the game :) i am getting used to the audio, its just a bit repettitive and sometimes not that acurate. if you listen in the video near the end it says that his horse (not sure what its name was now) was on the rails. but in fact he was about 5 or 6 horses out off the rails (though in the lead or close to it at that point) but still i am warming up to the commentary.
[/b]

yes i agree with some aspects with the audio accuracy - i put this down to timing........

he will begin to go thru each horse from 1st to last

i think as soon as he begins from 1st...whereever u are positioned at that point in time, is what he will call........Doobees was close to the rail when the commentary started from the top, and by the time the announcer got to Dobriens horse, he had shifted out wide by then, but commentary maintained he was on the rails..also this is when Doobees makes a run in which his speed is notched up by a good 10-20km/h, which would cause even greater discrepancy with regards to accuracy.

it will be even worse for backrunners coz that would be a good 15seconds timing diff from the top to last, where u could shift up spots, or even out wide, etc

but the smoothness of the commentary i like very much, i think its perfect.

i have been playing horse titles since Gallop Racer 2001, and i was in awe at how good the commentary is......nobody has ever done it, and it adds to this title in soo many ways.

Yes it hink there are many camera angles coz i have seen a screenshot where i can see the horses tail, and this is the one i like the most.

Hopefully the full replay can be looked at after each race, from Skycam!!!

Arnold Rimmer
18-10-06, 09:51 AM
I&#39;m not too sure about this game. Man on horse action and all that....

MonoTurd
18-10-06, 09:08 PM
when this game is released, will most of you people buy it on PC for the online gaming? or xbox/PS2 because your computer isnt up to it in the graphics department?

i personally will buy it on PC so i can play you pricks online

woosaah
18-10-06, 10:34 PM
ill buy it on pc, mainly cause i dont use my xbox that much, actually havnt used it since the rugby 06 tornament.

ak47
19-10-06, 02:59 AM
some dude played it yesterday at caulfield guineas day and highly rated the xbox version, which will look worse than pc version

C A Iversen
19-10-06, 11:10 PM
"With two hundred to go this game has it&#39;s nose in front and looks to have grabbed the lead!"

(All said really quick in a nasal voice)

dobrien7
23-10-06, 06:47 AM
when this game is released, will most of you people buy it on PC for the online gaming? or xbox/PS2 because your computer isnt up to it in the graphics department?

i personally will buy it on PC so i can play you pricks online[/b]
Me too, just hope my PC is up to it, runs demo ok so fingers crossed :)

dobrien7
23-10-06, 07:25 AM
Righto guys, if this title turns out to be an awesome online experience, who&#39;s going to come online with me and doubtlessly AK47 to either punt on the nags, or race them down the home straight?

We could even have a TRF League, or something like that. If the facilities allow, we could race or bred and trained horses against each other and have a points table posted up, etc.
[/b]

Right, been flicking through the MCC forum, and got some interesting info, seeing as we are just days away from it&#39;s release...

MARIO - <blockquote>The game runs on a peer to peer system. The only "HES" hosted servers are matchmaking servers. For best results, and minimum lag, games should be hosted by players who have significant upload bandwidth, and players should only compete against others who are based in a similar geographical region.</blockquote>

So one player&#39;s computer/console will be the host (server) and players will connect to it on the internet via their computers/consoles as Guests. The Host player can then set up all of the competitions and the players compete live in them. The Matchmaking system is excellent too. The Host player just needs to name his game and then let all of the Guest players know what the name is so they can find it and enter. Way to go guys!

MARIO - <blockquote>Its probably worth saying the matchmaking and hosting capabilities are very basic. Don&#39;t expect a lot of functionality. To my knowledge you can&#39;t bypass the matchmaking service. Yes, the Xbox version has the &#39;standard&#39; Xbox Live support.</blockquote>

Can you set up a standard Lan game or do you have to always go via the Internet?
Interested to know as there are a few of us at work that are keen to set up a few races on the work computers one weekend.

ALAN - <blockquote>It requires access to the internet, in order to register games with the matchmaking service. However once a game is registered, you should be able to connect to it and then all traffic will be across your local network (this is how a lot of the early testing was done in house, with no problems).</blockquote>[/b]

C A Iversen
23-10-06, 10:13 AM
Good news in some ways really, but unless the host has significant bandwidth, it could mean local (same country) only unfortuantely.

dobrien7
24-10-06, 09:36 AM
More info for those who are interested, apologies if it&#39;s old...

PC System Requirements

Minimum System requirements
PIII 500MHz
128MB RAM
32MB 3D DirectX 8.1a compatible accelerated video card
16 Bit DirectX 8.1a compatible Sound Card
1.8Gb of Hard Drive Space
Windows 98SE, 2000*, XP*
CDROM drive
*With latest service pack
Recommended System requirements
P4 1.3GHz
256MB RAM
64MB 3D DirectX 8.1a compatible Texture
& Lighting video card
Windows 98SE, 2000*, XP*
24x CDROM drive

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

FAQs & Support

Frequently Asked Questions

Why does the game have two titles?
This game is sold under two different names.
In Australasia it is sold as "Melbourne Cup Challenge"
In Europe it is sold as "Frankie Dettori Racing"

When you first run the game, it will check your system clock settings.
If you are detected as living in Australasia the game will default to "Melbourne Cup Challenge". If you are detected as living in Europe the game will default to "Frankie Dettori Racing"

You can change the "region" of the game when creating a new profile.

What&#39;s the difference between Melbourne Cup Challenge and Frankie Dettori Racing.
Apart from the name of the game, the difference are:
- The default currency in Frankie Dettori Racing is GBP
- The default currency in Melbourne Cup Challenge is AUD
- European seasons start on 1st January
- Australasian seasons start on 1st August
- The initially unlocked tracks are different.

Should I upgrade my video or sound drivers?
Some performance problems may be associated with the video or sound card driver being out of date or incompatible. Up to date drivers are available from the card manufacturers&#39; Web sites.

The Web site address for driver updates should have been provided with your card or PC documentation.

Do you have any DirectX information?
For help with DirectX go to http://www.microsoft.com/DirectX

Should I close down all programs running in the background?Programs that run in the background can cause problems when starting or running the game. If you are having problems, try closing all other applications before starting the game.

How do I adjust the game options in the game?
Some PCs may benefit from altering the graphic options in the game.

To improve the performance of the game, try the following adjustments:
Reduce the screen resolution to 640X480 in the Graphic Setting
menu
Reduce the Detail to Low.
Changing the bit depth to 16 bit.
Ensure motion blur is off.

If the game is still running slowly check that the resolution in the game is suitable for your video card

Why is online play stuttering / lagging?
The game requires a broadband internet connection for optimal performance, with a MINIMUM of 128Kbps downstream and upstream to join an online game. To host a game you must have a minimum of 128Kbps downstream and a minimum of 64Kbps PER PLAYER. For example, to host an 8 player game you will need 512Kbps upstream.

Ideally your connection will have a round-trip (ping) time of 150ms or less and not suffer from any packet loss.

The game will not operate correctly online over dial-up, ISDN, wireless or satellite-based internet connections.

Why can&#39;t I host online games? It says I have a firewall?
The game needs to have free communication on UDP port 21512 in order to host or join a multiplayer session online. If you have any firewall software installed (such as Windows XP firewall, Tiny Personal Firewall, Norton Internet Security, etc) or if your computer is not directly connected to the internet, you may need to perform additional steps (such as "pinholing" or "port forwarding") before you can host online multiplayer games.

Why can&#39;t I play online games at the same time as someone else on my network?
The game needs to talk exclusively on UDP port 21512 in order to play a multiplayer session online. If someone else on your network is already playing an online session, you will be unable to do so until their session is finished.

Why can&#39;t I play online? It can&#39;t connect to the server?
The game needs to talk to the matchmaking server on port 80 (TCP) - the same port used by your web browser to surf the internet (HTTP). If it is unable to do this, it will report an error.

Is it possible to play a LAN game, NOT over the internet?
No. All online games of "Frankie Dettori Racing / Melbourne Cup Challenge" need to contact the "Frankie Dettori Racing / Melbourne Cup Challenge" matchmaking server, which is hosted on the internet. This means that your PC must be connected to the internet in order to host or join online games.

Can I play against PS2 or Xbox Frankie Dettori Racing / Melbourne Cup Challenge Players?
No - PC users play against other PC users only.[/b]

And just read Australians have their copies already the pricks :P

ak47
25-10-06, 09:15 AM
More info for those who are interested, apologies if it&#39;s old...

PC System Requirements

Minimum System requirements
PIII 500MHz
128MB RAM
32MB 3D DirectX 8.1a compatible accelerated video card
Windows 98SE, 2000*, XP*
CDROM drive
Recommended System requirements
P4 1.3GHz
256MB RAM
64MB 3D DirectX 8.1a compatible Texture
& Lighting video card
Windows 98SE, 2000*, XP*
24x CDROM drive

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

FAQs & Support

Frequently Asked Questions

Why does the game have two titles?
This game is sold under two different names.
In Australasia it is sold as "Melbourne Cup Challenge"
In Europe it is sold as "Frankie Dettori Racing"

When you first run the game, it will check your system clock settings.
If you are detected as living in Australasia the game will default to "Melbourne Cup Challenge". If you are detected as living in Europe the game will default to "Frankie Dettori Racing"

You can change the "region" of the game when creating a new profile.

What&#39;s the difference between Melbourne Cup Challenge and Frankie Dettori Racing.
Apart from the name of the game, the difference are:
- The default currency in Frankie Dettori Racing is GBP
- The default currency in Melbourne Cup Challenge is AUD
- European seasons start on 1st January
- Australasian seasons start on 1st August
- The initially unlocked tracks are different.

Should I upgrade my video or sound drivers?
Some performance problems may be associated with the video or sound card driver being out of date or incompatible. Up to date drivers are available from the card manufacturers&#39; Web sites.

The Web site address for driver updates should have been provided with your card or PC documentation.

Do you have any DirectX information?
For help with DirectX go to http://www.microsoft.com/DirectX

Should I close down all programs running in the background?Programs that run in the background can cause problems when starting or running the game. If you are having problems, try closing all other applications before starting the game.

How do I adjust the game options in the game?
Some PCs may benefit from altering the graphic options in the game.

To improve the performance of the game, try the following adjustments:
Reduce the screen resolution to 640X480 in the Graphic Setting
menu
Reduce the Detail to Low.
Changing the bit depth to 16 bit.
Ensure motion blur is off.

If the game is still running slowly check that the resolution in the game is suitable for your video card

Why is online play stuttering / lagging?
The game requires a broadband internet connection for optimal performance, with a MINIMUM of 128Kbps downstream and upstream to join an online game. To host a game you must have a minimum of 128Kbps downstream and a minimum of 64Kbps PER PLAYER. For example, to host an 8 player game you will need 512Kbps upstream.

Ideally your connection will have a round-trip (ping) time of 150ms or less and not suffer from any packet loss.

The game will not operate correctly online over dial-up, ISDN, wireless or satellite-based internet connections.

Why can&#39;t I host online games? It says I have a firewall?
The game needs to have free communication on UDP port 21512 in order to host or join a multiplayer session online. If you have any firewall software installed (such as Windows XP firewall, Tiny Personal Firewall, Norton Internet Security, etc) or if your computer is not directly connected to the internet, you may need to perform additional steps (such as "pinholing" or "port forwarding") before you can host online multiplayer games.

Why can&#39;t I play online games at the same time as someone else on my network?
The game needs to talk exclusively on UDP port 21512 in order to play a multiplayer session online. If someone else on your network is already playing an online session, you will be unable to do so until their session is finished.

Why can&#39;t I play online? It can&#39;t connect to the server?
The game needs to talk to the matchmaking server on port 80 (TCP) - the same port used by your web browser to surf the internet (HTTP). If it is unable to do this, it will report an error.

Is it possible to play a LAN game, NOT over the internet?
No. All online games of "Frankie Dettori Racing / Melbourne Cup Challenge" need to contact the "Frankie Dettori Racing / Melbourne Cup Challenge" matchmaking server, which is hosted on the internet. This means that your PC must be connected to the internet in order to host or join online games.

Can I play against PS2 or Xbox Frankie Dettori Racing / Melbourne Cup Challenge Players?
No - PC users play against other PC users only.[/b]

And just read Australians have their copies already the pricks :P
[/b]

:wall: :wall:

not this aussie

i am stuck in newcastle with no ps2 and no game

sometimes my eb store should be blown up......i still havent received a call,not that it matters,but i am glad i am up here and not sydney, whilst my eb shove remotes up their anals all night long

C A Iversen
25-10-06, 11:29 AM
Never thought I&#39;d say this, but I can&#39;t wait to be alone with my horse when this comes out!

C A Iversen
28-10-06, 10:23 PM
It&#39;s awesome! I&#39;m thinking about posting a review on the main thread as soon as I&#39;ve played it some more.

dobrien7
28-10-06, 10:39 PM
Have you raced online or just single player? Am buying golf clubs today so will have to get my copy of MCC during the week...

C A Iversen
29-10-06, 01:53 AM
Which clubs? St Andrews, Pebble Beach, Queens Park or Oreti Sands?

dobrien7
29-10-06, 06:59 AM
Lol just a cheap social set of golf clubs (in a bag) :P

How&#39;s that review coming along?

C A Iversen
01-11-06, 06:31 PM
It&#39;s a game that it would be easy to give the wrong viewpoint or score on without playing it for some more time yet. So far, as a non-horseracing fan, I&#39;m really enjoying it. Now it&#39;s all done to whether I get bored with it or not.

Anyhow, finally ordered my own copy from gameplanet, due Friday. (On Xbox). No more renting!

dobrien7
03-11-06, 07:56 AM
Right, have created myself an online PC version account named dobrien7, and my MSN is davidobrien7@hotmail.com if anyone&#39;s racing out there...

woosaah
05-11-06, 04:16 PM
ill be buying my copy on wednesday after i get vouchers after i go somewhere for something. you may find out in time, but it will be a long itme away :D i will say something if they will let me say something.

i am feeling criptic for 615am :)

C A Iversen
05-11-06, 07:58 PM
I&#39;m really enjoying MCC. The one thing that I hate is when I time a run fairly well, only to get run down in the home straight. Leaves me feeling like a Jackass!

I&#39;m getting PC version to complement my Xbox version in a week or so.

esoj
06-11-06, 05:48 AM
ill be buying my copy on wednesday after i get vouchers after i go somewhere for something. you may find out in time, but it will be a long itme away :D i will say something if they will let me say something.

i am feeling criptic for 615am :)
[/b]

I reckon it might be *****a ***** game maybe *******.

woosaah
06-11-06, 05:50 AM
close not that one though i doubt, but shhhh

esoj
06-11-06, 06:09 AM
lol I knew it XD.

anyway I might have to get this as it seems to be living up to the hype and promise shown in the demo

The TRUTH
06-11-06, 11:17 AM
Any of you jokers got any dosh on the real cup tomorrow??

If so who are you tipping?

dobrien7
07-11-06, 08:40 AM
Well, Mono and I just had a few races online - very enjoyable indeed :D

I had 2 wins where Mono was 2nd - by 0.05 and 0.04 seconds winning margins...

dobrien7
12-11-06, 10:17 AM
For those interested, I had some online races/bet meetings over the weekend with some Oz punters, so online play between NZ and Oz runs well... so possibly NH countries can all play against each other too?

C A Iversen
12-11-06, 09:14 PM
Wait till I get my PC copy. I go alright, but some days I tend to have one foot in the grave and one on the till.

woosaah
12-11-06, 09:45 PM
give me some more info on the game, i hope to go out and buy it today. thats if i can get away from my "desk", i use the term desk loosly, i am not even in wellington :)

dobrien7
13-11-06, 04:28 AM
Well, what do you wanna know Woosaah?

woosaah
13-11-06, 10:45 AM
whats single player like? whats the longevity like?

woosaah
15-11-06, 08:58 PM
ok i have the game now :)

played a couple of races online last night and got owned. i really dont have a clue and dave was right that i probably would :)

also started a franchise thingee, not sure of what was going on there as i havnt been able to do that very well either. i am going to have a bit of fun with this game as it seams quite challenging, but i fear if i get the hang of it that it might come to easy and boring.

we will see though, i am looking forward to giving it a thrash tonight :)

The Flash
20-11-06, 11:21 PM
Howz everyone enjoying the game now? I&#39;m lovin it!

woosaah
20-11-06, 11:29 PM
yeah i havnt played it that much, gave dave and monoturd a race the other day, got my butt handed to me but came right by the time the other two had to go to be kind of competitive.

its all about horse selection for me :)

MonoTurd
21-11-06, 07:53 AM
Howz everyone enjoying the game now? I&#39;m lovin it!
[/b]
I played it hardout when i first got the game, which was a few weeks ago, and finished my first season with 10mil and an "Expert 3" ranking but i havent played it much at all (except online) since then

The Flash
21-11-06, 08:00 AM
I&#39;m still a learner, but I usually give this a go every couple of nights!

MonoTurd
21-11-06, 08:36 AM
just played a few races and now have a "Champion 1" ranking