PDA

View Full Version : Llanelli v Munster - HEC Final

An Tarbh
25-03-07, 11:02 PM
<div align="center">http://www.therugbyforum.com/uploads/21.gifLlanelli Scarlets v Munsterhttp://www.therugbyforum.com/uploads/22.gif</div>

Llanelli resisted the urge to cash in on their quarter final appearance and decided to stay at Stradey for their quarter final, and rightly so. No point in giving up any possible advantage by giving Munster twice the amount of tickets.

Llanelli will have an anxious wait this week to see if Stephen Jones is fit to take his place following his broken wrist while Paul O&#39;Connell&#39;s broken thumb at Murrayfield sees him miss out as.

Both sides have enjoyed decent wins in the Magners League prior to this game despite Munster fielding a second string side at Ravenhill but there&#39;s the risk that the internationals will be cold coming back into the side for such a massive game. Given their experience you&#39;d expect that not to be the case.

The loss of O&#39;Connell is a massive blow for Munster&#39;s aspirations of defending their title and strengthens Llanelli&#39;s stance as favourites. If they repeat their form of the pool stages then Llanelli should overcome the champions and secure their semi final birth. The only possible concern is that their best performance all came away from Stradey Park. So how much of a factor will that be???

I cant think of a username
26-03-07, 12:06 PM
Damn it I&#39;m uneasy about this game. The Scarlets backline, Regan King in particular, could cause problems. Still, Munster do best with their backs to the wall!

damnbsod
26-03-07, 06:08 PM
The big thing is that Llanelli haven&#39;t been tested up front so far in the tournament, and with Toulose and Irish, they played teams that gave them acres of space by trying to play an open game. While Ulster were clearly a less talented team than Munster.

Regan King is a fantastic player however, and with Murphy&#39;s defensive frailties he could cause real problems if the game gets wide.

How he isn&#39;t in the NZ setup I have no idea, nothing I have seen has suggested to me that Conrad Smith is a better 13.

loratadine
26-03-07, 06:33 PM
nz have a policy where they dont select over seas players i believe

which is a shame because he is the most talented centre, to come from nz at this moment!

gjohn85
26-03-07, 07:22 PM
This is gonna be a great game. I really love to see the Scarlets win it, but Munster is never an easy game. Munster are the current champions, so they will be up for it greatly, but everyone tries that little bit harder to beat current winners of a tournament.

Cymrurugbyfan
26-03-07, 07:32 PM
Ironic how we are &#39;rewarded&#39; with a home quarter final draw against the current European champions.

An Tarbh
26-03-07, 07:41 PM
Deal with it, Leinster were no 1 seeds in 2005 and they got Leicester in the quarter finals, that&#39;s the way the cookie crumbles.

loratadine
26-03-07, 08:26 PM
thyll deal with it all right

bye bye munster!!

SaintsFan_Webby
26-03-07, 08:46 PM
I shall be supporting the Scarlets for this match. I admire the way they&#39;ve been playing in Europe, I&#39;m a big fan of Regan King, and if I&#39;m honest I&#39;d quite enjoy seeing the defending champions crash out.

Cymrurugbyfan
26-03-07, 09:52 PM
Deal with it, Leinster were no 1 seeds in 2005 and they got Leicester in the quarter finals, that&#39;s the way the cookie crumbles.
[/b]
I am dealing with it ;) And I&#39;m sure the scarlets will too.

shtove
27-03-07, 09:15 PM
Stephen Jones is playing, and Llanelli have all their other danger men in place: Popham, Peel and King. Their defence will be solid as well.

Munster haven&#39;t played their full team for months, so if Llanelli don&#39;t dominate the opening quarter it&#39;s goodnight to the hosts.

Plus Munster&#39;s backline attack may burst out of the blocks with ROG named as captain. But then their defence might fall to bits as well. Or will it be the slower, solid guys who line out at three-quarters? I&#39;m always looking for something a bit flash, but a lot of people will be calling for Munner ball into the corner to drive the maul, while the backs stand in tackle position with grumpy looks on their faces.

Looks like a great match.

PeeJay
27-03-07, 10:52 PM
Barry Davies; Dafydd James, Regan King, Gavin Evans, Mark Jones; Stephen Jones, Dwayne Peel; Iestyn Thomas, Matthew Rees, Deacon Manu, Vernon Cooper, Scott Macleod, Simon Easterby , Gavin Thomas, Alix Popham
Replacements: Ken Owens, John Davies, Inoke Afeaki, Dafydd Jones, Liam Davies, Ceiron Thomas, Matthew Watkins

IMO, apart from having Inoke on the bench instead of at #4, that&#39;s probably our strongest line-up. Could be a cracking game, or it could equally be a bit of a damp squib. Either way, I&#39;m gonna tip the Scarlets for a narrow win.

candybum
28-03-07, 01:14 AM
shot deacon MANU!!

PeeJay
28-03-07, 01:56 AM
shot deacon MANU!!
[/b]
What&#39;s wrong with Deacon?

An Tarbh
28-03-07, 04:24 PM
Just have a sneaky feeling that Munster will shade this one, they just have the knack for the big occasion and it&#39;s always when it&#39;s least expected of them that they strike and that&#39;s certainly the case with this match.

Cymrurugbyfan
28-03-07, 04:32 PM
<div class='quotemain'>
shot deacon MANU!!
[/b]
What&#39;s wrong with Deacon?
[/b][/quote]
Indeed, what is wrong with him? He&#39;s brilliant. (I suppose) :)

An Tarbh
29-03-07, 06:25 PM
Llanelli are at full strength for tomorrow&#39;s game after wing Mark Jones passed a fitness test yesterday. For the defending champions Mick O&#39;Driscoll replaces Paul O&#39;Connell in the second row after overcoming his rib injury picked up in Rome.

Llanelli Scarlets: Barry Davies; Dafydd James, Regan King, Gavin Evans, Mark Jones; Stephen Jones, Dwayne Peel; Iestyn Thomas, Matthew Rees, Deacon Manu; Vernon Cooper, Scott MacLeod;6 Simon Easterby (capt), Gavin Thomas, Alix Popham.Replacements: Ken Owens, John Davies, Inoke Afeaki, Dafydd Jones, Liam Davies, Ceiron Thomas, Matthew Watkins

Munster: Christian Cullen; John Kelly, Lifeimi Mafi, Trevor Halstead, Ian Dowling; Ronan O&#39;Gara (capt), Peter Stringer; Marcus Horan, Jerry Flannery, John Hayes; Donncha O&#39;Callaghan, Mick O&#39;Driscoll; Alan Quinlan, David Wallace, Denis Leamy. Replacements: Frank Sheahan, Federico Pucciariello, Donncha Ryan, Anthony Foley/John O&#39;Sullivan, Tomas O&#39;Leary, Jeremy Manning, Barry Murphy

shtove
29-03-07, 07:36 PM
Kelly is the right man to defend the wing for Munster, but I was looking forward to having Carney on the bench. As it stands, I guess Mafi will move to wing, Murphy on at centre, if tries are needed late on.

Munster pack looks good. John O&#39;Sullivan was crucial in two Munster tries against Ulster, so a bit surprised he&#39;s 50/50 with the walking wounded Foley.

Mark Jones was 14 for Wales, wasn&#39;t he? Some tackler.

loratadine
29-03-07, 11:31 PM
some finnisher too!!

but he dnt need me to talk for him, he&#39;ll do his talking on the pitch tommorrow!!

shtove
30-03-07, 01:03 AM
Yeah, the Scarlets will be talking a lot: "Ah ref, it&#39;s Munner rugby - we can&#39;t beat that!"

Tough.

dullonien
30-03-07, 09:44 AM
It&#39;s going to be a close game, but I think Regan King will be the difference. He is just pure class, mayb not as good an all round player as the likes of O&#39;Driscoll, but imo he is the best attacking 13 in the game at present.

Even though Mark Jones didn&#39;t get his chances in attack during the 6 nations, the Scarlets at the moment are that much better at creating space out wide for the speedsters (it&#39;s no coinsidence Darren Daniel is the leading try scorer in the Magners, and thats their second choice wing).

Wouldn&#39;t bet against Dafydd James adding to his record try scoring tally in the Heineken tonight.

All Munster fans know what Easterby can do, and popham has been a beast all season. The forewards have got to give the backs the platform, if that happens I can&#39;t see the Scarlets losing on home soil.

Welsh rugby needs this, we need a Welsh team to win the Heineken, c&#39;mon boys don&#39;t let us down.

Edit. Ok, first we need them through to the Semi&#39;s, getting a bit ahead of myself.

An Tarbh
30-03-07, 10:15 AM
Good thing for that edit, certainly thought you were getting ahead of yourself. :P

loratadine
30-03-07, 02:18 PM
i cant wait, its going to be a good atmosphere at stradey!!

getofmeland
30-03-07, 07:35 PM
Well this game has just started, after Munster Complained that they didnt like the tickertape on the pitch...

Bullitt
30-03-07, 07:40 PM
Fantastic try for Daffid James in the corner.

5-0 5:14

Easily converted by Jones.

7-0

SmokeyMonkey
30-03-07, 08:20 PM
17-0 HT to Scarlets! Come on!!!

loratadine
30-03-07, 08:23 PM
COME ON YOU BEAUTIES!!

woooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

SaintsFan_Webby
30-03-07, 08:25 PM
If they hold out for the win, I wonder if I&#39;ll get an apology from the Munster fan who shouted me down for backing the Scarlets as favourites months ago...

SmokeyMonkey
30-03-07, 08:28 PM
FFS Sky Sports are having a go at Stephen Jones for freeing the ball for his team!

shtove
30-03-07, 08:31 PM
Munster in trouble at half time - we&#39;ve seen it before, and they&#39;ve come up roses. But the Llanelli energy is making us look like a bunch of sloggers. The breakdown is pretty even, but Munster have enormous problems in midfield - attack and defence.

Only a loss of nerve can keept the Scarlets out of the semis. Can&#39;t see that happening.

Murphy to come on in the centre at 13. Maybe Mafi to wing.

One of those Peel chip aheads could lead to a try - but for which side?

An Tarbh
30-03-07, 08:33 PM
Not a great game to be honest, Llanelli have taken their chances, fortunate not to be pinged for Jones&#39; stamping to free the ball, that certainly was rucking imo but good finish nonetheless. Cullen is having a mare, shouldn&#39;t have started.

No chance of Munster getting back into this one, guess my sneaky feeling was off the mark.

Bullitt
30-03-07, 08:35 PM
^^^^
Ou contraire, watching the Scarlets play like this is a thing of beauty. Thjey look like a Super 14 side or, dare I say it, the Wales side of the 2005 Grand Slam?

getofmeland
30-03-07, 08:43 PM
I am really enjoying watching this game some good flowing Rugby by the Scarlets...

Munster just havent fired.. and they dont like they are going to...

Prestwick
30-03-07, 08:54 PM
Scarlets are on a blinder!

SmokeyMonkey
30-03-07, 09:03 PM
Prooven blatant 5m forward pass! f*** off Munster, Mark Jones&#39;s forward ball was miles less than than that! Touch Jugde must&#39;ve been watching the O&#39;Spreadbury&#39;s in the crowd! Can&#39;t score fairly can they?

Bullitt
30-03-07, 09:05 PM
O&#39;Gara once again buckles under pressure and misses the crucial conversion.

I still can&#39;t see Munster getting back into this properly.

Prestwick
30-03-07, 09:08 PM
Speaking of O&#39;Gara, have Scarlets been chasing him all over the park?

If you put serious pressure on him, he is easy to wind up usually as a result.

SmokeyMonkey
30-03-07, 09:11 PM
What a try! Take that O&#39;Gara!

Bullitt
Wow. Just Wow.

Best try I&#39;ve seen all season for Davies. Greats <strike>15</strike> 14 man rugby.

getofmeland
What A Fantastic Try...

Should be all over for Munster now!!!

Prestwick
30-03-07, 09:12 PM
What an end for Munster.

In the last competetive HEC for ages, could Scarlets go all the way?!

Bullitt
30-03-07, 09:21 PM
Playing like that, I wouldn&#39;t write them off. Great performance which sets up the rest of the weekend beautifully.

RoyalBlueStuey
30-03-07, 09:22 PM
In the last competetive HEC for ages
[/b]

God that makes sad reading.

Great performance from the Scarlets.

shtove
30-03-07, 09:28 PM
Munster put the pressure on - they always do - but Llanelli opened wide their legs and showed their class. The ability to score when it matters makes them serious contenders.

Big games for Jones, Popham, King and the back three. Actually, big games for everyone - except for the sub #18: &#39;But ref, I&#39;ve only just come on&#39; &#39;Yeah, well you&#39;re going straight back off.&#39;

Munster need to stop mucking about with solid guys out wide and go for speed merchants and all round lunatics. Very disappointed with Cullen - although his pass for our first try was out of this world. :unsure: Disappointed that ROG seemed to lose the rag half way through the second half.

Atmosphere in the stadium looked great - and we even shut them up for twenty minutes.

I am a Scarlets supporter for the next few weeks.

SmokeyMonkey
30-03-07, 09:37 PM
Instead of having draws for the semi&#39;s, the highest seeded team should be at home! (like the NFL right)

O&#39;Gara looks suicidal!

Bullitt
30-03-07, 09:43 PM
Such a pity. About time the jumped up gob****e was brought down a peg or two.

shtove
30-03-07, 09:56 PM
Still sore over his home truths about the Guinness premiership?

You need a licence from the IRFU to use the word &#39;gob****e&#39;.

loratadine
30-03-07, 09:58 PM
lol plus rep!!

RoyalBlueStuey
30-03-07, 10:01 PM

You need a licence from the IRFU to use the word &#39;gob****e&#39;.
[/b]

Actually Everton supporters can grant them too and yer man Chris has one, issued by me after his run-in with some rednoses a while back.

Bullitt
30-03-07, 10:16 PM

You need a licence from the IRFU to use the word &#39;gob****e&#39;. [/b]

Not at all, I also believe a lot of English players are over rated. However, when it comes to over rated chumps in World Rugby O&#39;Gara is in a healthy 2nd place behind Harry Ellis.

shtove
30-03-07, 10:23 PM
I can&#39;t believe you got everything wrong. Ellis isn&#39;t overrated - he&#39;s just not international standard and everybody knows it.

Bullitt
30-03-07, 10:24 PM
He&#39;s not professional standard either. I even rate Johnny Howard above the useless little ****.

getofmeland
30-03-07, 10:26 PM
Lets just all agree Ellis is Crap!!!

Bullitt
30-03-07, 10:31 PM
No arguement there. And so is O&#39;Gara.

eoino
30-03-07, 11:20 PM
No arguement there. And so is O&#39;Gara.
[/b]

Yeah sure mate, :cheers:
You know a lot about kickers? Can you tell us how O&#39;gara is crap? Could you kick under huge amounts of pressure, his kick score rate is one of the best in the world, now thats whats called the opposite of crap.

Bullitt
30-03-07, 11:23 PM
And he got a lot of those kciks today which made all the difference in open play, didn&#39;t he??? :bravo:

SmokeyMonkey
30-03-07, 11:24 PM
This thread will be on its 5th page by the time O&#39;Gara completes his pass...

shtove
31-03-07, 12:09 AM
Why are midgets so bitter?

Jones had a big game tonight, but two weeks ago all the little people were writing him off.

If I were ROG I&#39;d be hesitating before throwing it out to a misfiring midfield.

Cymrurugbyfan
31-03-07, 10:13 AM
Barry Davies&#39; kick summed up the whole game for me. And nice sig teh_mite ;)

Rugby_Cymru
05-04-07, 08:39 PM
O&#39;Gara is a good player i grant that, but i refuse to accept it when the commentators claim that he is probably the 2nd best fly half in the world.
There are 2 MAJOR things that i see wrong wtih such a statement. O&#39;Gara isn&#39;t a strong man. And O&#39;Gara seems to crumble under pressue far too often for a world class, international fly half.

Regan King is one of the best centres in the world at the moment.

shtove
05-04-07, 10:53 PM
ROG has gotten a lot stronger, and his big game temperament was coming along - but ... jury&#39;s still out IMO.

Will King get a look-in for the ABs this summer? Their midfield is the weakest part of the team, and he could be just the man.