PDA

View Full Version : Border Reivers to be disbanded apparently

RoyalBlueStuey
27-03-07, 11:11 AM
Rugby New Report (http://www.therugbyforum.com/index.php?showtopic=18219&hl=)

Where will that leave Scottish rugby and the rest of the Magners League?

I thought that the Borders where Scottish rugby's heartland.

An Tarbh
27-03-07, 11:17 AM
I'd imagine the league will continue with the 10 teams, although this might bring rise again to the daft idea of London Welsh looking to get in on the Magners League.

Also should the HEC survive it'll only mean 1 Scottish team in the competition unless the other can secure the playoff spot and beat the Italian side, can't see this as being in the interests of Scottish rugby although if the financial situation is that dire then maybe they have no alternative.

Prestwick
27-03-07, 11:50 AM

I thought that the Borders where Scottish rugby's heartland.
[/b]

If it is, it must be in pretty abysmal health. They can barely get a couple of thousand spectators at Border Reiver's home ground.

They should just have a North Eastern team operating out of Pittodrie at Aberdeen.

martinyoung
27-03-07, 03:33 PM
<div class='quotemain'>

I thought that the Borders where Scottish rugby&#39;s heartland.
[/b]

If it is, it must be in pretty abysmal health. They can barely get a couple of thousand spectators at Border Reiver&#39;s home ground.

They should just have a North Eastern team operating out of Pittodrie at Aberdeen.
[/b][/quote]

Absolutely, with the support that turned up at Pittodrie and McDiarmid Park for the internationals there, either Aberdeen, Perth or even possibly Dundee would be a good place for a Magners League team. Maybe something for outside investors to look at?

An Tarbh
27-03-07, 04:04 PM
support for an international is one thing but it&#39;s hard to see the crowds going there for Magners league games, the stadiums wouldn&#39;t have been full for the Six Nations games had it not been for the travelling support which is worrying considering it&#39;s not the biggest venue in international rugby.

Prestwick
27-03-07, 04:54 PM
Aberdeen is one of the most popular cities in Scotland for tourism after Edinburgh and Glasgow, is well served by Air from the other major Magners League nations (Ireland and Wales) with cheap links courtesy of BMI Baby and Ryanair. Personally in the five or so years I have been in Aberdeen, I have loved the place. It&#39;d be perfect for Magners League team.

Also it has the biggest contingent of Irish students in the UK, that&#39;s why RGU and Aberdeen University do so well in Gaelic Games, not to mention Rugby. If there was a major Magners League team in Aberdeen and it was promoted well amongst the student population (subsidised tickets, etc), you would get a decent turnout I think.

An Tarbh
27-03-07, 05:08 PM
I know I&#39;m looking at this as an outsider but ticket prices and lack of marketing seem to be a major problem for rugby at the moment, rugby also seems to be declining because of a lack of terrestrial coverage and people just don&#39;t seem interested in going to the games.

DR749
28-03-07, 02:02 PM
The SRU says that disbanding the Border Reivers will "Strengthen" rugby in Scotland. This seems counterproductive. If countries like Wales and Ireland can field four teams each for the Magners league, why cant Scotland add a team to Aberdeen and keep the Borders? I know they are 23 million in arrears, but there are other ways to make up some dosh.

Having a Pro team in the Borders helps, due to the history of the area and, wont kids in the area get excited and involved in the sport if there is a Pro team and local heros to spur them on?? Wont these kids being involved in the sport early on only have a trickle down effect as they get older and remain behind their team either in management, playing or supporting??

I am at a loss. Even though I am not in Scotland, I still would follow the Reivers either on Radio Borders or the net after Radio Borders stopped broadcasting internationally on the net.

Very sad day for this one.....

Dr. Dave

An Tarbh
28-03-07, 02:17 PM
we took the right decision not to disband Connacht a few seasons back, 2 professional teams just isn&#39;t enough for any country to properly survive on, especially with the outflow of players to France, England and Ulster.

RoyalBlueStuey
28-03-07, 02:29 PM
I am at a loss. Even though I am not in Scotland, I still would follow the Reivers either on Radio Borders or the net after Radio Borders stopped broadcasting internationally on the net.

[/b]

They seem commited to forcing the issue in Glasgow come-what-may. Seems a shame to abandon an area with such good rugby tradition. I suppose a 2m a year loss is pretty unsustainable.

What are the relative attendances like for the three teams?

DR749
28-03-07, 02:38 PM
Netherdale would see around 1200 per match.

Murrayfield was not packed by any means...not sure what they see in Glasgow.

An Tarbh
28-03-07, 03:08 PM
Average this season in Edinburgh is 2600 and in Glasgow it&#39;s around the 2000 mark so pretty dismal all round.

RoyalBlueStuey
28-03-07, 03:23 PM
Average this season in Edinburgh is 2600 and in Glasgow it&#39;s around the 2000 mark so pretty dismal all round.
[/b]

In that context 1,200 doesn&#39;t seem that terminal.

Prestwick
28-03-07, 03:53 PM
23 Million worth of debt is pretty substantial. The most pressing problem is sorting out that debt and before you can do anything else, you need to get that dealt with.

After that, then you can focus on consolidating the two teams. Personally, considering how big a student population both Glasgow and Edinburgh have, I think its a disgrace that nobody has thought of forging stronger links with the Student Unions and pushing hard to get attendances up.

One major problem is the stupid law banning booze at Scottish sports grounds. One excellent idea would be to have cheap booze at Murrayfield/wherever the hell Glasgow Warriors are with free mini buses to transport students to the game (like the big night clubs do up here in Scotland) followed by cheap drinks promos afterwards. Essentially treat the whole experience as a night out. Murrayfield at least is dead close to the city center anyway.

The emphasis should always be, push the product as hard as you can. Even if you have to give away tickets (like what Stade Francais are doing right now), you need to pack out the stadia, get the atmosphere going and push for customer retention.

Doing what the SRU are currently doing - which consists of just sitting around with their fingers up their arses and desperately trying to establish a team, any team other than London Scottish - will just lead to oblivion.

EDIT: Actually more on Stade Francais. It&#39;s President, Max Guazzini has done things that will make more traditional stuck in their ways clubs in the rest of Europe blink with shock and go red with anger for rocking the boat. When a big game with a big name team comes up, the guy exploits it. He goes to the Universities and the schools and the colleges and he hammers them with advertising, dirt cheap tickets and free soft drinks, etc. He organises outrageous entertainment (such as can-can dancers at half time) and basically does everything he can to pack out the Parc des Princes, Stade de France, whatever.

The result? A huge fanbase in Paris, the highest attendances of a league match in any sporting code in France and a huge financial return on fan loyalty to Stade Francais. And this was a club who people said would vanish twenty years ago in an area once said to be "awful for rugby" in the same time frame.

So you see, if you have someone who has the balls (and, admittedly deep pockets) to see the project through, it can be done! Edinburghs new owners need to be incredibly creative. They CAN get a full capacity crowd for an Edinburgh game, they just haven&#39;t been trying hard enough.

DR749
28-03-07, 04:52 PM
[/b]

With that being said, wouldn&#39;t the Reivers be the MOST sucessful club in regards to bringing in a percentage of spectators when compared to the surrounding popultion base?? Edinburgh only 2600?? Glasgow, the most populus city, drawing less than Edinburgh and only 800 on average more when compared to Galashiels draw??

edinburgh_gunner
28-03-07, 06:01 PM
The problem in the Borders is that no one is interested in the pro-team. They&#39;re only interested in their diddy clubs, like Hawick, Melrose etc etc who achieve nothing.

Attendences are so low in Glasgow is because that rugby isn&#39;t all that popular in the west, plus they tend not to win that much.

Edinburgh attendences have been hitting the 4-5000 mark this year, given the opposition and promotions that are on. But given the SRU&#39;s policy of draining our squad of internationals come 6 nations it&#39;s no wonder people lose interest mid-season. The fixtures don&#39;t help either. So many breaks and irregularities don&#39;t help to build a consistant fan base. For example, Embra have only 5 home games after Christmas. How will that get people consistantly interested?

Edinburgh are the most successful team, not matter what way you look at it. Highest attendences, best results, and a team that&#39;s capable of winning something. Plus, now that they&#39;re in private hands it&#39;s really unlikley Edinburgh will be scrapped or moved.

It&#39;s just the latest in a the farce from the SRU. Top players leaving, the Borders being disbanded. It&#39;s all going to end it tears. The Sru are going to give most of the excess funds to Glasgow, meaning Embra will basically get nought, yet the SRU will still expect a seat on the board and a big say aswell as a percentage of match day takings. McKie needs to wake up, realise that the SRU isn&#39;t capable of running pro teams and that they should be sold off to people who know what they&#39;re doing, like the Curruthers brothers. Edinburgh have become far more professional, with attempts to bring in sponsors, supporters and promotions etc. I can&#39;t see the SRU trying this.

I&#39;ve got be honest though, I don&#39;t really care about the borders. They were a nothing team with hardly any decent players playing in area where it&#39;s the old fart brigade, more interested in the old guard of clubs who are achieving hee haw in the leagues and cups.

It&#39;s a sad state of affairs all the same, and the only way it&#39;ll be resolved will be if the SRU allow the Curruthers complete control of Embra, and to sell of Glasgow like they did with Edinburgh.

An Tarbh
28-03-07, 06:45 PM
I think your comments pretty much sum up the sad state of Scottish rugby, if rugby people like yourself don&#39;t give a **** about the likes of Borders then that&#39;s hardly going to attract new fans to the game.

It&#39;s also an indictment that a club like Edinburgh are hemorhaging players left, right and centre, only have an average attendance of 2600 in the league and not even 4000 for the Heineken Cup games, and that&#39;s the biggest club in Scotland. They have a huge amount of work to put in to be competitive next season and the SRU really needs to get its house in order.

edinburgh_gunner
28-03-07, 08:11 PM
Of course I don&#39;t care about the Borders, I was born and raised in Edinburgh!

My point is, why should I care if the people who live there don&#39;t?

I am willing to bet you that if the Curruthers were in complete control of Edinburgh we would not be losing so many players, and the attendences would be up as well.

An Tarbh
28-03-07, 08:12 PM
I would have thought that you&#39;d care out of interest for the game at a national level or is your club side more important to you?

getofmeland
03-04-07, 05:42 PM
Protest call over Reivers closure

Rugby fans and Borders Council are urging protests over the Scottish Rugby Union&#39;s decision to scrap Border Reivers at the end of the season.

The Border Reivers Action Group and the council carried a newspaper advert on Tuesday, criticising the move.

They described it as "one of the most misguided and unpopular decisions in the history of the game".

The SRU has defended its move to cut the number of professional teams in Scotland from three to two.

Glasgow Warriors and Edinburgh will be the two pro clubs in Scotland next season, following the SRU&#39;s review of professional rugby.

But the move has angered fans, who are also upset over news that Edinburgh owner Bob Carruthers had a bid for Borders rejected by the SRU last year.

A full-page advert in the Scotsman newspaper criticised the decision and urging a protest at Murrayfield.

A rescue plan will be presented to the SRU on Thursday and has received backing from Borders Council.

The following evening, supporters are being urged to protest during the Magners League match between Edinburgh and Newport Gwent Dragons at Murrayfield.

In its statement, the Borders Council said: "This council deplores the decision taken by the Scottish Rugby Union to close down the Border Reivers professional rugby team at the end of the current season.

"This council regrets that the SRU has failed to engage with the institutions of civic life and other stakeholders to build a consensus around action required to promote and develop the game in the 21st century.

"We have no confidence in the ability of the SRU to protect and nurture the game of rugby in Scotland."

The SRU said it was unrealistic to continue running three professional teams in Scotland.

The governing body said Glasgow Warriors would receive extra funding as a result of the Reivers&#39; closure.

Several Borders players will be transferred to the Warriors for next season but a number have been told to find new clubs as part of the cost-cutting process.

From BBC Sport
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_unio...ish/6522149.stm (http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_union/scottish/6522149.stm)

Prestwick
03-04-07, 07:26 PM
Sell the damn franchise off and be done with it.

This is what happens when these communist style systems where the Union commands everything from the center hit one major problem: Money.

To set in their ways to go the whole hog and go fully professional and privatise the clubs and abandon this curious mix of amateurism and professionalism....amateurism with a human face if you will.

If any of Scotland&#39;s three &#39;professional&#39; clubs (only in the way that the Union pays the players, nothing else) can hope to survive is by being privatised.

D DAN
03-04-07, 09:11 PM
I would have thought that you&#39;d care out of interest for the game at a national level or is your club side more important to you?
[/b]

You are dead right An Tarbh Gunner should care about the Borders as should all Scottish rugby fans. Gunner you are also correct in as much as most Borderers dont support the team but the SRU where warned about this right at the start and any potential buyer for the franchise(should the SRU change their minds) would be well warned that the Reivers came a cropper of the fact that the Borders is not a city its a district so by playing all their games in one town it was never going to work. They should have rotated the games around all of the Border towns as the old South of Scotland and the initial Reivers team did but Telfer wanted the team in one place and that was it. As for Gunners coments about Hawick,Melrose,Gala etc being diddy teams they won more titles between those three than the rest of the Scottish rugby clubs put together and didnt have to pay people to play for them, also look at the crowds at the Scottish cup final when a team or teams from the Borders is not involved. The answer for the Reivers was simple rotate the places where the team played, involve local players and kids as much as possible.

edinburgh_gunner
03-04-07, 09:56 PM
You are dead right An Tarbh Gunner should care about the Borders as should all Scottish rugby fans. Gunner you are also correct in as much as most Borderers dont support the team but the SRU where warned about this right at the start and any potential buyer for the franchise(should the SRU change their minds) would be well warned that the Reivers came a cropper of the fact that the Borders is not a city its a district so by playing all their games in one town it was never going to work. They should have rotated the games around all of the Border towns as the old South of Scotland and the initial Reivers team did but Telfer wanted the team in one place and that was it. As for Gunners coments about Hawick,Melrose,Gala etc being diddy teams they won more titles between those three than the rest of the Scottish rugby clubs put together and didnt have to pay people to play for them, also look at the crowds at the Scottish cup final when a team or teams from the Borders is not involved. The answer for the Reivers was simple rotate the places where the team played, involve local players and kids as much as possible.
[/b]

The Border teams have achieved nothing in recent years, rather it has been teams like Currie, Hawks and Watsons who have been achieving the most things, so I am quite right to say that the Borders sides (most of which play outside Premier 1 and those who do are struggling to stay in it) are small teams doing nothing. All they have are decent youth sides (who have also fallen away this year) which seem to dissapear by the time they get to senior rugby.

Anyway, pro rugby will not work in the Borders! The fans down there are simply not interested in it, look at the numbers of people going to the games. I am bothered by the fact that there will only be 2 pro sides next year, but pro rugby was never going to work down there. I&#39;ve said before that there is plenty oppurtunity for a team up north. A team playing at Pittodrie or the Caledonian Stadium would be good for the SRU as I think that rugby is growing up there (as shown by sell out crowds when Scotland have played up at Pittodrie or McDirmid Park), so there would probably be high attendances and I think that there would be a few investors interested in it up there as well.
I think the majority of you cannot see my point. I honestly don&#39;t care about the Border Reivers being closed, but I do care that it is a Scottish pro team being closed. I think that moving them up North would have been a better choice, allowing for the 3 pro teams to remain, get more people interested in game and ultimatley keep more players under SRU controll instead of sending them down south.

Prestwick
03-04-07, 10:12 PM
Rugby CAN work in Aberdeen. You just have to make sure that its a private and dynamic concern instead of a state run co-opertive monstrosity like Glasgow Warriors and how Edinburgh used to be run.

edinburgh_gunner
03-04-07, 10:15 PM
Pro-rugby will only work up here if all the teams are privatised. Edinburgh have shown the way forward, attendances are up, their trying to sign world class players. Even small things like the website, online marketing etc etc. It&#39;s just far more professional and organised and it get&#39;s people interested.

An Tarbh
04-04-07, 05:46 AM
The website may look more impressive but attendances in the league are down on last year and there was only a minimal increase in the Heineken Cup which was more down to the fact that Leinster brought so many supporters to that game. It&#39;s obviously not working that well.

edinburgh_gunner
04-04-07, 08:05 AM
Attendences have fallen away because of the autumn test and 6 nations periods, and the fixture list is less than ideal. 3 home games after Christmas, of course it&#39;s hard to get people to come and watch.

While there were alot of Leinster fans at that Heineken Cup game I think your over estimating the size of that support. I was at the game, as I have been at every game this year, and there was definatley a larger number of Edinburgh fans.
If we can get some continuity on the park, the numbers will increase. That continuity comes from having a team that doesn&#39;t loose so many key players during the internationals (I mean our entire backline was missing in the autumn!) and Howells is trying to sign foreign players so keep us going through this period. The fact that players like Luke McAllister and Mauger have considered Edinburgh seriously is also an indication that privatisation has worked.

So, to say that it hasn&#39;t worked that well is balls really, given that the reason for poor attendences (players leaving for international games leaving a scratch/youth side with club rugby players) is actually because the SRU still have a significant control in Edinburgh through holding the players&#39; contracts.

D DAN
04-04-07, 09:33 AM
Attendences have fallen away because of the autumn test and 6 nations periods, and the fixture list is less than ideal. 3 home games after Christmas, of course it&#39;s hard to get people to come and watch.

While there were alot of Leinster fans at that Heineken Cup game I think your over estimating the size of that support. I was at the game, as I have been at every game this year, and there was definatley a larger number of Edinburgh fans.
If we can get some continuity on the park, the numbers will increase. That continuity comes from having a team that doesn&#39;t loose so many key players during the internationals (I mean our entire backline was missing in the autumn!) and Howells is trying to sign foreign players so keep us going through this period. The fact that players like Luke McAllister and Mauger have considered Edinburgh seriously is also an indication that privatisation has worked.

So, to say that it hasn&#39;t worked that well is balls really, given that the reason for poor attendences (players leaving for international games leaving a scratch/youth side with club rugby players) is actually because the SRU still have a significant control in Edinburgh through holding the players&#39; contracts.
[/b]

Gunner your posts make you look more and more foolish, the Edinburgh club sides are only doing well at club level because of the talent they buy in at lot of which come from Borders teams. As soon as the pro teams take their players they are almost religated. Rugby is still the main sport in the Borders but as i explained in my last post we are not a bunch of sheep who will blindly go along with whatever the SRU decide is best for us. You seem to have ignored my coments on the Scottish cup final crowds not involving Border teams which have been abismal - so much for Glasgow and Edinburgh loving their rugby they are still a long long long way behind football in these areas. Grow up and see the big picture!

edinburgh_gunner
04-04-07, 01:23 PM
Yes, football is still bigger in Glasgow and Edinburgh but the fact that there was such low attendences for the Border Reivers show that the Borderers don&#39;t exactly care much for the modern game anyway.

You alligations that the Edinburgh clubs only do well cause they buy up Border players is complete nonsense. I&#39;m at Currie, and the Premier 1 Champions are from the central belt, Ireland or the Southern hemisphere. Yes, alot of players do go to the city teams, because they don&#39;t stay in the Borders (for whatever reasons, perhaps mostly because there are no Unis down there) but it&#39;s not at all like the championship winning sides are based on a core of former Borderers. As for attendences at cup finals, I couldn&#39;t really comment as I was only at last years one - though we did bring a very large number of supporters - but yeah, your probably right there. Football is bigger in the city, but rugby is rising in popularity given the success of Edinburgh clubs in recent years. Again, using Currie as an example, there are over 1000 kids playing at the club. I don&#39;t think any Borders side has that figure do you? I&#39;m not saying that the Boderers are not contributing to the national game, they are. But not as much as city teams have been in recent years, and whether or not you want to admit it the Border clubs are no longer a massive force in Scottish rugby, it&#39;s the newer less traditional clubs like Currie and Ayr who are becomming the teams to beat.

RoyalBlueStuey
04-04-07, 01:39 PM
Yes, football is still bigger in Glasgow and Edinburgh but the fact that there was such low attendences for the Border Reivers show that the Borderers don&#39;t exactly care much for the modern game anyway.

[/b]

Could that just be that the people there stuck with their own clubs instead of embracing the professional franchise?

Prestwick
04-04-07, 03:36 PM
Yes but why did they stick with their own clubs rather than hit the franchise? I think what Gunner meant by "not interested in Borders" was exactly that they preferred to stay within their own little world which straddles betwixt Northumberland and somewhere south of Edinburgh.

Maybe our fellow friends in the Communist (Rugby) Internationale over in Wales, Ireland and the Southern Hemisphere would be able to give us an insight into how well fans of traditional clubs have taken up the new franchises in the Magners League and the Super 14?

I mean, are their alleigances like traditional club first, major Super 14 Franchise second? Was there initial hostility to new franchises being foisted on them by some Rugby Union board hundreds of miles away?

RoyalBlueStuey
04-04-07, 03:42 PM
Well in the case of NZ the Super 14 teams aren&#39;t in direct competition with their traditional NPC teams &#39;cause they play at different times.

Prestwick
04-04-07, 03:51 PM
Well, still though, there should still be a preference. One must surely prefer either one or the other, whether they play at the same time or at different times.

An Tarbh
04-04-07, 05:07 PM

[/b]

Well there were 2000 fans from Leinster at that game out of 5500, so quite significant.

I don&#39;t think it is balls, for a professional team in a rugby country in a capital city to be getting less than 4000 average for their Heineken Cup games in a venue of 67500, when only injuries affect the lineup, is truly pathetic. International games have only affected most team twice regarding home games. The Ospreys, Leinster and Ulster have proven that they can perform with scratch teams, Edinburgh have notched up plenty of big wins in the league with the scratch side, not so much this season but definitely in the last few years.

Yes but why did they stick with their own clubs rather than hit the franchise? I think what Gunner meant by "not interested in Borders" was exactly that they preferred to stay within their own little world which straddles betwixt Northumberland and somewhere south of Edinburgh.

Maybe our fellow friends in the Communist (Rugby) Internationale over in Wales, Ireland and the Southern Hemisphere would be able to give us an insight into how well fans of traditional clubs have taken up the new franchises in the Magners League and the Super 14?

I mean, are their alleigances like traditional club first, major Super 14 Franchise second? Was there initial hostility to new franchises being foisted on them by some Rugby Union board hundreds of miles away?
[/b]

Well we&#39;ve had our provincial sides since the 19th century and for us to have competitive sides professionally it was the obvious route to take instead of going with the AIL teams.

D DAN
05-04-07, 09:32 AM

You alligations that the Edinburgh clubs only do well cause they buy up Border players is complete nonsense. I&#39;m at Currie, and the Premier 1 Champions are from the central belt, Ireland or the Southern hemisphere. Yes, alot of players do go to the city teams, because they don&#39;t stay in the Borders (for whatever reasons, perhaps mostly because there are no Unis down there) but it&#39;s not at all like the championship winning sides are based on a core of former Borderers. As for attendences at cup finals, I couldn&#39;t really comment as I was only at last years one - though we did bring a very large number of supporters - but yeah, your probably right there. Football is bigger in the city, but rugby is rising in popularity given the success of Edinburgh clubs in recent years. Again, using Currie as an example, there are over 1000 kids playing at the club. I don&#39;t think any Borders side has that figure do you? I&#39;m not saying that the Boderers are not contributing to the national game, they are. But not as much as city teams have been in recent years, and whether or not you want to admit it the Border clubs are no longer a massive force in Scottish rugby, it&#39;s the newer less traditional clubs like Currie and Ayr who are becomming the teams to beat.
[/b]

You simply dont read the posts do you? I never said that the Edinburgh teams do well because of Borders players all i pointed out is that there are a lot of them playing there and usually for financial reasons. As for your boast about the amount of kids playing at Curry if you have 1000 which i dont believe for a second where do they all go to watch their rugby because they certainly are not going to see the gunners or yourselves! I have been at your ground watching games right through the age groups and your support is small to say the least (maybee that was different this year because you actually won something) Before you ask why i was not at any of my teams games at your ground this year its quite simple i have found that along with one or two other teams your support is not adverse to fowl language and i wont subject my childern to that just to watch my team play. Please read my 1st post again and start again.

edinburgh_gunner
05-04-07, 12:41 PM
Well according to the figures in the local press there are 1000+ kids involved in the youth setup. The problem is, their interested in rugby but their parents aren&#39;t cause Currie (that&#39;s how you spell it) isn&#39;t based in a really rugby area, the majority of people would rather go watch Hearts than watch their clubs, but this has increased since the cup final last year and the successful league campaign this year. In addition, the cost of going to the game can be pretty hefty if your not a member, the kids get in free but it&#39;s about 8 for an adult, which is alot for club rugby. The fact that you&#39;ve admitted that you&#39;ve not been to Malleny Park this year takes away any abillity you have to comment on the attendences. Apart from when it&#39;s been chucking it down Malleny has been mostly full this year

As for the foul language, well that&#39;s common. It happens at every sports ground.

Edinburgh club sides are only doing well at club level because of the talent they buy in at lot of which come from Borders teams[/b]

I never said that the Edinburgh teams do well because of Borders players all i pointed out is that there are a lot of them playing there and usually for financial reasons[/b]

Now either you&#39;ve not expressed your point clear enough, or your contradicting yourself.

Look, I&#39;m not interested in arguing about which sides have been more successfull in recent years. I think I&#39;m right, you think you&#39;re right. Call it there.

Yes, your right that the Borders was never going to work playing at Netherdale. But that&#39;s cause it&#39;s too big an area with a scattered population so one pro outfit for the entire region would never work. The Borders should never have been given a pro-side though, as I&#39;ve argued already it should have been based in Aberdeen given that Aberdeen has more people living in a small area and that would probably get many folk turning up.

I see though the protest at the Embra game is off, and that McKie has opened the door to saving the Reivers if there is a suitbale finance in place. Question that comes to me though, is where was all this support when they weren&#39;t under threat?

SmokeyMonkey
06-04-07, 06:43 PM
It seems like they&#39;ve disbanded already, 26-6 (and bonus point) to the Scarlets after 30 mins!