PDA

View Full Version : Next Wallabies coach?

aussie1st
12-10-07, 08:24 PM
Looking at the list if we don't get Deans I would go for Nucifora. Already won a Super 14 title, had the Blues in awesome form early in the season. Doesn't have any fears in dropping star players.

Robbie Deans
Jake White
Scott Johnson
John Muggleton
Laurie Fisher
Ewen McKenzie
David Nucifora

Silver Arrow
13-10-07, 08:06 PM
You cannot have Robbie Deans, he'll be the next All Blacks coach I hope.

nam97
14-10-07, 12:01 PM
Good luck getting Deans now that his mouths watering over the prospect of finally getting the AB'S top job. Nucifora's a good choice I think, although he did **** about with the Blues last season towards the end.

Juggernaut
14-10-07, 10:26 PM
Money is Nucifora being offered the job. Rumours abound that O'Neill is a big fan of the guy and loves his style of coaching....plus the fact he wants a 'Yes' man on the job.

Nucifora would be ideal for the Wallabies, getting rid of all the dead-woods like Lote, etc..

Fushitsusha
15-10-07, 01:28 AM
Out of all the candidates left I think Nucifora is their ONLY option.

The NSW press is trying to build up McKenzie a little but the Tahs are one of the worst teams in the Super 14.

Fisher was a favourite at one stage but after Australia A's demise in the Pacific Nations (despite that mostly being the fault of the Australian selectors) I don't know if he's still got a chance.

I don't think Johnson or Muggleton have the qualifications.

melon
15-10-07, 04:31 AM
As I said in the other wallabies coach thread, I think It may be time to take a gamble and choose a foreigner - Robbie Deans or Jake White.

Fushitsusha
15-10-07, 06:11 AM
Deans is probably out of contention now that he's likely to become the new AB's coach.

I'm unsure about Jake White. I don't know if he's really done enough to qualify.

I do realise he's now coached a team to the world cup final. But so did Eddie Jones.

Brodizzle
15-10-07, 06:19 AM
I do realise he's now coached a team to the world cup final. But so did Eddie Jones.
[/b]
And Brian Ashton, maybe we should try to lure him away? :unsure:

sanzar
15-10-07, 06:51 AM
Hopefully we get Deans... Apparently the majority of kiwi's think Henry should stay on as ABs coach (and why shouldn't he?), so it's possible they may break with history and leave him in charge. If so we'll hopefully have Deans.

melon
15-10-07, 08:25 AM
Hopefully we get Deans... Apparently the majority of kiwi's think Henry should stay on as ABs coach (and why shouldn't he?), so it's possible they may break with history and leave him in charge. If so we'll hopefully have Deans. [/b]
Yeah, I hope so too. I don't understand why so many people are against him becoming coach. I suppose alot of people want to remain patriotic and have an Australian coach and all the rest but as I said earlier, we need to take a gamble.

Anyway, for the people who don't want a foreign coach (even though they may boast an impressive resume) please give reasons for your ideas. It will be interesting to see :)

Juggernaut
15-10-07, 09:38 PM
Please stop this blasphemy.

You should all get behind & support Nucifora's application. He's the right man for the job.

Forget Deans.

Justin P
16-10-07, 09:33 AM
he is right Nucifora is very good

percymontgomery
29-10-07, 06:05 AM
Jake White would be great. Plenty of charisma in my view

Fushitsusha
31-10-07, 06:00 AM
Deans has ruled himself out, so hopefully it will be Nucifora.

I don't mind as long as it's NOT any of the current support staff, Alan Jones or Ewen McKenzie.

Incredible Schalk
31-10-07, 12:46 PM
The Aussies have quite alot of good young players coming through so i think someone like Scott Johnson who is already in the camp would be a good move as he will be able to take the likes of Cooper and Barnes and take them to the next level in development.

Brodizzle
31-10-07, 12:56 PM
The Aussies have quite alot of good young players coming through so i think someone like Scott Johnson who is already in the camp would be a good move as he will be able to take the likes of Cooper and Barnes and take them to the next level in development.
[/b]
You just want a ****ty coach in so we can't tap that young talent...I know your game :D

Incredible Schalk
31-10-07, 01:21 PM
<div class='quotemain'>
[/b]
You just want a ****ty coach in so we can&#39;t tap that young talent...I know your game :D
[/b][/quote]

:bleh!:

danny
31-10-07, 03:02 PM
<div class='quotemain'>
<div class='quotemain'>
[/b]
You just want a ****ty coach in so we can&#39;t tap that young talent...I know your game :D
[/b][/quote]

:bleh!:
[/b][/quote]

Ive heard that The aussies want Vickery and Sheridan as their new coaching team. They may even get a game if they are short.

aussie1st
02-11-07, 07:46 PM
Nucifora it is then.

Incredible Schalk
03-11-07, 09:49 AM
How about Gregan :lol:

Haj
05-11-07, 05:50 PM
http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659,2...2-23217,00.html (http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659,22707202-23217,00.html)

Bloody Ewen mckenzie......if he gets given the job i might take up waching tennis instead of test rugby for a few years.

Coaching Highlights!!!

Quoted saying to his tahs team that if he was the wallabies coach every single one of his players would be selected.

Coaches a team that that starts dunning and baxter.

Selected morgan turinui to play on the wing opposite bryan habana!

Too much to mention

melon
06-11-07, 07:59 AM
We need Jake White or Alan Jones! Preferably Jake White...

Fushitsusha
06-11-07, 11:14 PM
Alan Jones is an idiot.

He coached a good team over 20 years ago?

Big deal. He inherited that team from Bob Dwyer. Another man I wouldn&#39;t want coaching the Wallabies now either.

Jake White isn&#39;t applying.

melon
07-11-07, 11:11 AM
In that case, the only option is David Nucifora.

It would be interesting to see what would happen if Jones was coach though...

Maccaweeny
07-11-07, 11:12 AM
Like I said before, Jones has a criminal record for revealing the name of an underaged litigant over the radio (something which is bloody irresponsible) and even now may be held in contempt of court and get handed a gaol sentence. And i&#39;m not even going to touch the controversy over the Cronulla riots.

He won&#39;t get the job, and if he does i&#39;ll...***** I don&#39;t know. From a personal perspective though (no offence anyone) I think taking a big steamy dump on the wallabies jersey would be better fitting to enhance the prestige of the team than giving Jones the job.

Fushitsusha
07-11-07, 11:40 PM
Like I said before, Jones has a criminal record for revealing the name of an underaged litigant over the radio (something which is bloody irresponsible) and even now may be held in contempt of court and get handed a gaol sentence. And i&#39;m not even going to touch the controversy over the Cronulla riots.

He won&#39;t get the job, and if he does i&#39;ll...***** I don&#39;t know. From a personal perspective though (no offence anyone) I think taking a big steamy dump on the wallabies jersey would be better fitting to enhance the prestige of the team than giving Jones the job.
[/b]

Right on.

Jones is just talking a lot of **** at the moment.

The fact is he&#39;ll play his favourites just like he did in the 80&#39;s and ignore any real talent.

If we want another four years of Al Baxter and co. then Alan Jones is the man.

I think Nucifora would be great because he&#39;s not afraid to dump high profile players if they&#39;re not performing.

Maccaweeny
08-11-07, 04:56 AM
I don&#39;t understand Al Baxter, he&#39;s a bloody big guy and seems to fire up a lot during matches, but never, ever, delivers.

I agree, we need someone who is willing to take risks with player selections. At the moment our front-row have the physicality and consistency of a sexually abused 5 yo meth addict.

Also, as far as I&#39;m aware, NZ teams have a certain scorn for the scrum machine, while the wallabies pack uses it around 70% of the time, maybe a coach who has had experience with training packs through live scrums will bring something new.

Hamster
10-11-07, 10:18 AM
Nucifora it has to be. Very good coach and hopefully he can dump players like Baxter (how hes got the record for most test caps for a prop I&#39;ll never know) and Dunning (Starting for the Wallabies but on the bench for the Waratahs??) and all the other useless players.. Won the Brumbies the super 14 title, which I doubt another Aussie team will do for a while yet.

Alan Jones sounds like a bit of a joke to me..

Also as mentioned in this thread I dont know why they should sack Henry.. hes a very good coach and some dodgy reffing shouldn&#39;t cost him his job.. keep him and they will win the next world cup.

redunderthebed
10-11-07, 10:45 AM
Nucifora for the wallabies job good guy good coach

Alan Jones should never ever ever f***ing ever coach the wallabies for all the reasons aformentioned.

Ewan Mckenzie......FFS. :wall: he has coached a team that has the potential to go places nowhere.

Muggleton NO NO NO! we need a new start and he has being infected with connolly crapness so no.

skarnage
10-12-07, 12:41 AM
I want nucifora to get the job but i think deans is gonna get it

honef
10-12-07, 02:22 AM
Deans will get it, SHAME ON YOU NZ

mj44
11-12-07, 11:15 AM
Selected morgan turinui to play on the wing opposite bryan habana!

I think we all knew what was going to happen once we knew of this matchup. Not only did he make the mistake in the first place, he didn&#39;t take the opportunities to correct it in game.

Alan Jones is not a professional coach so don&#39;t see any chance of him even being considered.

Nucifora

Doubt it, at this point I think I&#39;d be surprised if Deans didn&#39;t get it and why shouldn&#39;t he? NZ&#39;s loss will be Australia&#39;s gain; finally we&#39;ll have a competent coach.

redunderthebed
11-12-07, 02:36 PM
Brian Deans should be a good coach WTF was the All-Blacks thinking?!. :huh:

redunderthebed
11-12-07, 03:00 PM
I mean Robbie Deans couldnt edit it in time. :(

Ripper
11-12-07, 08:28 PM
PLEEEEEEAAAASSSSSEEEEEEE Take Nucifora from the Blues Hands, every single fan of Auckland Rugby is begging you....

scuubasteve
11-12-07, 08:36 PM
Lucky for Wales and Aussie that NZ has amazing coaches coming out of its ears!!

Deans has it nailed. He has the board and player backing, along with the best track record and ability when comparison to the other candidates.

The ARU has an easy choice to make.

The NZRU on the other hand had the choice of two Coaches with amazing records, and picked the one with the most experience and media/corperate conducive personality.

ak47
14-12-07, 12:39 AM
DEANS HAS BEEN CHOSEN AS THE 1ST FOREIGNER TO COACH THE WOBBALLIES

ITS TIME TO RUN N HIDE

WE ARE BACK!!!!

nam97
14-12-07, 12:43 AM

ITS TIME TO RUN N HIDE

WE ARE BACK!!!!
[/b]

Does this mean we (Crusaders fans) have to cut our losses and look for a new coach this season?

Fushitsusha
14-12-07, 01:03 AM
<div class='quotemain'>

ITS TIME TO RUN N HIDE

WE ARE BACK!!!!
[/b]

Does this mean we (Crusaders fans) have to cut our losses and look for a new coach this season?
[/b][/quote]

Looks like it - the NZRU didn&#39;t want Deans or Nucifora to continue coaching NZ Super 14 teams if they were picked for Wallabies coach.

It&#39;s official as of about 2 minutes ago - Robbie Deans is the new coach of the Wallabies.

Maccaweeny
14-12-07, 05:26 AM
Can&#39;t say I&#39;m too pleased, one of the things I enjoy about Rugby is how it&#39;s a primarily national rather than transnational sport.

I&#39;m also not too proud of how the ARU has treated the other candidates. They were undergoing testing since September, and Deans just walks in and gets the job, making a complete mockery over what was not a selection process but O&#39;Neill&#39;s head hunt. The added money package is also something reminiscent of big soccer leagues; indeed even the Herald is making the connection by saying Deans is the Wallabies&#39; "Guus Hiddink&#39;. What a promising association, Hiddink got us to the Quarters too!

Indeed, he&#39;s a good coach, and I expect a lot of fans to start asserting that Australia will once again be a force to be reckoned with (something which we&#39;ll have to wait to see). Though, in my opinion, it just illustrates how desperate Australian Rugby is becoming.

I suspect i&#39;ll be one of the very few who are ****** with this, so i&#39;ll just hack it and hope for the best. On the bright side, I don&#39;t think the state of Australian rugby can get much worse.

Ripper
14-12-07, 05:26 AM
Robbie Deans will need an assistant... someone who know&#39;s the Australian Landscape through previous coaching experience... may I suggest David Nucifora?

nam97
14-12-07, 06:20 AM
<div class='quotemain'>
<div class='quotemain'>

ITS TIME TO RUN N HIDE

WE ARE BACK!!!!
[/b]

[/b][/quote]

Looks like it - the NZRU didn&#39;t want Deans or Nucifora to continue coaching NZ Super 14 teams if they were picked for Wallabies coach.

It&#39;s official as of about 2 minutes ago - Robbie Deans is the new coach of the Wallabies.
[/b][/quote]

Nah nah, just saw the news, Deans will coach out the &#39;08 super 14 season, which means he&#39;ll only have a 2 week window to work with before the Wallabies first home test (against Ireland?).

redunderthebed
14-12-07, 11:31 AM
. The added money package is also something reminiscent of big soccer leagues; indeed even the Herald is making the connection by saying Deans is the Wallabies&#39; "Guus Hiddink&#39;. What a promising association, Hiddink got us to the Quarters too!

[/b]

Dude the rugby union world cup compaired to the football world cup is a joke.

Australia had 8 goes at qualifying for the world cup before getting to it.Whereas the wallabies have automatically qualified for.every.single.world cup.

The IRB has 96 member unions which are eligible to qualify FIFA has more nations in it than the olympics AND United Nations and every single one of those nations is eligible to qualify.

Its a helluva more harder to get to the quarters of a football world cup than it is to get into the RWC quarters.

Now you might not be a fan of football but your comparision is way way off the mark.

sanzar
16-12-07, 08:16 AM
Can&#39;t say I&#39;m too pleased, one of the things I enjoy about Rugby is how it&#39;s a primarily national rather than transnational sport.
[/b]

Really? If you look at Europe this is not exactly unprecedented globally... Just look at Wales - both Aussie and Kiwi coaches in the last decade. Then of course you had John Mitchell on Clive Woodward&#39;s coaching staff and Eddie Jones heading to South Africa for the RWC.

I&#39;m also not too proud of how the ARU has treated the other candidates. They were undergoing testing since September, and Deans just walks in and gets the job, making a complete mockery over what was not a selection process but O&#39;Neill&#39;s head hunt.
[/b]

Yes but everyone was perfectly aware of the ARU&#39;s intention to secure Deans, but it was far from a done deal with Deans still in contention for the All Blacks coaching position, so the ARU had to have a backup plan in case Henry was ousted. O&#39;Neil likes to run rugby like it were a business remember, so he was suring up all his bets and making sure he didn&#39;t get caught out in the cold if his first choice became a non-option. He played it smart for mine. In any case, none of the other contenders were anything close to being as qualified as Deans... I mean FFS, for Alan Jones, a man who is little more than a biggot and hasn&#39;t coached in 20 years anyway, to have been in serious contention is evidence enough that we&#39;re running low on class coaches at the moment.

Maccaweeny
16-12-07, 10:55 AM
<div class='quotemain'>. The added money package is also something reminiscent of big soccer leagues; indeed even the Herald is making the connection by saying Deans is the Wallabies&#39; "Guus Hiddink&#39;. What a promising association, Hiddink got us to the Quarters too!

[/b]

Dude the rugby union world cup compaired to the football world cup is a joke.

Australia had 8 goes at qualifying for the world cup before getting to it.Whereas the wallabies have automatically qualified for.every.single.world cup.

The IRB has 96 member unions which are eligible to qualify FIFA has more nations in it than the olympics AND United Nations and every single one of those nations is eligible to qualify.

Its a helluva more harder to get to the quarters of a football world cup than it is to get into the RWC quarters.

Now you might not be a fan of football but your comparision is way way off the mark.
[/b][/quote]

It was a comment made with my tongue firmly in cheek. I rarely try to construct a valid analogy (which just so happens to be bursting with hyperbole) in the space of three lines. I was making an abasing reference to the state of Australian rugby at the moment. I respect the progress that the Socceroos have made, but they are by no means a world power. Incidentally, the wallabies weren&#39;t either at the world cup, hence my comment. For the record though bro, I don&#39;t dislike soccer and i wasn&#39;t drying to defame it.

<div class='quotemain'> Can&#39;t say I&#39;m too pleased, one of the things I enjoy about Rugby is how it&#39;s a primarily national rather than transnational sport.
[/b]

Really? If you look at Europe this is not exactly unprecedented globally... Just look at Wales - both Aussie and Kiwi coaches in the last decade. Then of course you had John Mitchell on Clive Woodward&#39;s coaching staff and Eddie Jones heading to South Africa for the RWC.

I&#39;m also not too proud of how the ARU has treated the other candidates. They were undergoing testing since September, and Deans just walks in and gets the job, making a complete mockery over what was not a selection process but O&#39;Neill&#39;s head hunt.
[/b]

Yes but everyone was perfectly aware of the ARU&#39;s intention to secure Deans, but it was far from a done deal with Deans still in contention for the All Blacks coaching position, so the ARU had to have a backup plan in case Henry was ousted. O&#39;Neil likes to run rugby like it were a business remember, so he was suring up all his bets and making sure he didn&#39;t get caught out in the cold if his first choice became a non-option. He played it smart for mine. In any case, none of the other contenders were anything close to being as qualified as Deans... I mean FFS, for Alan Jones, a man who is little more than a biggot and hasn&#39;t coached in 20 years anyway, to have been in serious contention is evidence enough that we&#39;re running low on class coaches at the moment.
[/b][/quote]

Yes as rugby has begun to professionalise there has been a trend to pick candidates upon merit (or adversely hype) regardless of nationality. That does not negate the fact that Australia is not Wales and this is the first foreign coach we&#39;ve had in nearly 110 years.

As for O&#39;Neill, I agree with you that he does run the ARU like a business, in fact I think that despite how he&#39;s a far shot above flowers, that&#39;s a major problem in Australian rugby. All profits/losses are being assessed on an extremely short term basis (probably his tenure), accounting for our current predicament where millions will be thrown at players like Tuqiri while grass-roots rugby is forced to function off a charity fund. There is barely any funding or significant initiative by the ARU to cultivate grass-roots rugby. To the extent that privately owned schools are starting to possess the lions share of players, stratifying the sport and creating a situation where those in more rural areas will head to league. Australia has an abundance of talent to choose from (especially throughout rural Australia), but unfortunately such talent will never reach fruition so long as the ARU wastes money on high-profile converts and special money packages for international coaches.

I remember playing for Shoalhaven (pop. around 25000) which had a grand total of one RU club. No Aboriginal players (despite a massive indigenous population) and every player was like me, white guy from a priveliged background, and nothing is being done to change the situation.

It&#39;s easy for the ARU to focus solely on hyping the team to put arses on seats, and to state that rugby is declining because all of the sudden parents see it as far too dangerous for their kiddies (A socio-economic trend being bastardised if i&#39;ve ever seen it done), but it doesn&#39;t add up.

As for coaching depth, I agree, it&#39;s not too impressive, and if the ARU continues to neglect lower-tier rugby and domestic development, then it will only get worse. Hiring a foreign coach with an individual money-package isn&#39;t going to alleviate the problem, nor is it going to engender loyalty amongst the few decent coaches Australia does have; considering they&#39;ve been subjected to what is quite simply an unfair selection process.

sanzar
16-12-07, 12:49 PM
Yes as rugby has begun to professionalise there has been a trend to pick candidates upon merit (or adversely hype) regardless of nationality. That does not negate the fact that Australia is not Wales and this is the first foreign coach we&#39;ve had in nearly 110 years.

As for O&#39;Neill, I agree with you that he does run the ARU like a business, in fact I think that despite how he&#39;s a far shot above flowers, that&#39;s a major problem in Australian rugby. All profits/losses are being assessed on an extremely short term basis (probably his tenure), accounting for our current predicament where millions will be thrown at players like Tuqiri while grass-roots rugby is forced to function off a charity fund. There is barely any funding or significant initiative by the ARU to cultivate grass-roots rugby. To the extent that privately owned schools are starting to possess the lions share of players, stratifying the sport and creating a situation where those in more rural areas will head to league. Australia has an abundance of talent to choose from (especially throughout rural Australia), but unfortunately such talent will never reach fruition so long as the ARU wastes money on high-profile converts and special money packages for international coaches.
As for coaching depth, I agree, it&#39;s not too impressive, and if the ARU continues to neglect lower-tier rugby and domestic development, then it will only get worse. Hiring a foreign coach with an individual money-package isn&#39;t going to alleviate the problem, nor is it going to engender loyalty amongst the few decent coaches Australia does have; considering they&#39;ve been subjected to what is quite simply an unfair selection process.
[/b]

I see what you&#39;re saying about nurturing the grass roots, but at the same time I think it&#39;s important to recognise that Rugby does run a fair bit behind AFL and League in this country simply due to the fact that it has sold itself sort of as "the international game for men" (the other international game, soccer, being for whiny little girls who can&#39;t take a stubbing of the toe without crying for 15 minutes and demanding some sort of card brandishing justice) and so the success of the wallabies in both keeping people&#39;s interest and gaining new fans becomes pivotal. I&#39;d say that&#39;s where O&#39;Neil is coming from... he believes that success at the highest level of the game will have a trickle down effect for the game&#39;s economy in this country. Consistent wins = higher interest = more money and therefore more money to spend in all areas of the game. That&#39;s not to say they should ignore the grassroots, and I don&#39;t think they are, but they are trying to get the public interest back to where it was in the Rod McQueen era. Either way it&#39;s a gamble with a market as competative as ours I think... pumping all your money into development is good in theory, but if the top withers and people lose interest and end up turning to other sports anyway and therefore the grassroots could wither too.

Maccaweeny
16-12-07, 01:07 PM
Either way the ARU wouldn&#39;t be in such a situation if the federal and state governments started to offer greater incentives to sporting clubs so as to lower membership fees etc. Sport is too bloody expensive at the moment, and when we&#39;ve got a massive childhood obesity problem I wonder why nothing is being done to halt it.

I&#39;m starting to see the benefits of having mandatory weekend sport (within reason of disabilities and family money/time limits) throughout the public school system. Will never happen though.

ak47
16-12-07, 11:44 PM
rugby union is evolving rapidly...the last 20 years it has evolved more than its previous 90

if this entails appointing the best coaches so be it

foreign or not..its part of sports profressional era

cricket is a good example....50% of the coahes today, are from another country, and half of rugby is already the same

i think its shows a black mark in our local ranks of coaches

we have 2 world cup wining teams, from the 90&#39;s - no-one apart from mckenzie is a coach

NFJ - is a whatever
Campo runs his store and rants in media
Lynagh is where
Little - where?
Horan - where?

seems like our amatuer heroes are no-where in the scope of coaching....then they (farr jones anyhow) turn around and slam the ARU for hiring a kiwi...sorry, but the ARU made the most professional choice, based on whats available

although i do question his ability of the 2 week prep for ireland to be sufficient....2 week prep is no good - ther eis plenty of conflict of interest too....he slams our local S14 teams for underperforming, and wants to communicate with them to get a good feed into the national ranks.......yet he is coaching the opposition in the lcoal comp.....i fail to comprehend how this can be achieved, without its conflict