PDA

View Full Version : Since when have you been watching Rugby?

Harlequins4Evr
20-10-07, 04:41 PM
I want to find out who has been watching rugby for the longest time running and I will get the ball rolling-

I have been watchin it for 3 MONTHS (lol)

Anyone got any advances on that!?

An Tarbh
20-10-07, 05:20 PM
well I'm sure plenty will beat this but my earliest recollection of watching rugby was during the 91 world cup, can't recall watching any rugby prior to that, so 16 years then, sure plenty will beat that, you always see plenty of much younger kids at matches.

Princess Obolensky
20-10-07, 05:29 PM
1991 World Cup. I was 11 and I was enchanted by the tournament.

Brodizzle
20-10-07, 08:55 PM
Pretty much forever, watching my dad play club games pretty much since forever, first memory is watching my dad come off the field with blood streaming donw his face...first memory watching some France v Australia game late at night in the late 80's...

Tin
20-10-07, 10:00 PM
watched a bit in 2002-2003 then really started watching when i started taking it seriously in school which was 2 years or so ago :P
although i still dont get to see much on sky as they dont like bristol apparently (or atleast wont show them :P)

nam97
21-10-07, 04:01 AM
1994 France tour to NZ, when Lomu was only 19 and carving up. I was 7 at the time which is the first time I remember watching Rugby. So for me, it's 13 years.

M Two One
21-10-07, 06:13 AM
Watching professional rugby, only since the 2003-2004 Top 14 season when I seen Biarritz play. However, watching rugby in general I seen a local amatuer match from the Chicago Lions as a little kid back in 1989. I got into playing the sport from that day forward and looked for local outfits to play on/against. However, it wasn't my favorite sport until I seen that BO match in early 2004, that really put rugby at the top for me. What a day.

ikvat
21-10-07, 05:35 PM
It's so old that i can't remember!
At this time, my heroes had for name Phil Bennett, JPR Williams and Gareth Edwards!

http://content.answers.com/main/content/wp/en/1/1c/Jpr.JPG

Klarkash-ton
21-10-07, 05:52 PM
'77 Lions tour, couple of memories, but not much else!

I've been playing longer than that...

feicarsinn
21-10-07, 07:46 PM
99 ireland getting knocked out by argentina ahh well **** happens

ecks tartan army
21-10-07, 08:02 PM
been watching it since about 2000 ish', however first actuall memory was Scotland victory over the springboks in 03(?)

started attending matches 11 months ago - and was introduced to the pro-team game 5 months ago.

tooniesbruxelles
21-10-07, 09:49 PM
Since 1972 and im 42 now

melon
21-10-07, 09:53 PM
I've been watching Rugby League with Mum and Dad for as long as I can remember.

I became interested and started watching and playing Rugby Union when I was 10.

Caledfwlch
22-10-07, 01:55 AM
since i was 6. which makes thatb 12 years in bout a months time.

dullonien
22-10-07, 10:22 AM
I'm Welsh, what do you expect!

As long as I can remember. Dad used to sit me down in front of every game shown on tv from the moment I was born lol.

Haven't missed a Wales game since I worked in Summerfield during school, um.......... 6 years ago.

RoyalBlueStuey
22-10-07, 10:24 AM
Since the days of Carling, Guscott & the Underwoods. I've only been following it properly since I went to NZ in 2003 though.

danny
22-10-07, 10:36 AM
Since the days of Carling, Guscott & the Underwoods. I've only been following it properly since I went to NZ in 2003 though.
[/b]

I went to my first club match in 1978. It was Glos vs Bristol and i still have the program. Went to Twickenham in 1980 for England vs wales . Both terrible games but they both must have had an effect on me cause ive been a Rugby nut ever since.
cheers danny

RC
27-10-07, 04:49 PM
Earliest RWC i can remember is the '95 one.
I was interested in football before that.

fcukernaut
28-10-07, 09:09 PM
The only part of the 1999 WC that I remember was Byron Kelleher running the ball against England. Then a year after that I moved to NZ and it was all over. The fist game I saw in person would have been Crusaders vs Highlanders, sitting in the embankment talking **** to some drunk otago fans. Good times.

Caledfwlch
29-10-07, 02:19 AM
Earliest RWC i can remember is the '95 one.
[/b]

I have never heard of a welsh football fan. Or at least known of one. Thats blasphemy

Brodizzle
29-10-07, 02:51 AM
<div class='quotemain'> Earliest RWC i can remember is the &#39;95 one.
[/b]

I have never heard of a welsh football fan. Or at least known of one. Thats blasphemy
[/b][/quote]
I have a mate whos mum is Kiwi and dad is welsh and he can&#39;t stand rugby...work that one out...

Caledfwlch
29-10-07, 02:42 PM
BLASPHEMY!!!!!!

SaintsFan_Webby
29-10-07, 02:54 PM
Earliest rugby memories are of going to watch my Dad play on a Saturday afternoon, and taking passing interest in the highlights they showed on TV on a Sunday afternoon. Scarily enough, when I was too young to know better I liked Wasps because of their shirts. Scary. Always remember watching the likes of Orrell, Richmond and West Hartlepool playing top flight rugby, but didn&#39;t really know much about the sport. So we&#39;re talking early 1990s.

My first love was football because it was what all my friends liked, but I went and watched my first professional match (Northampton vs Leicester) at about the same time I was getting disillusioned with football. No 10 year old kid likes to lose every week, and I had to captain a bunch of f*** ups! I got so ****** off that my Dad suggested I go down to his old club and give rugby a go, and the rest as they say is history.

DonBilly
30-10-07, 04:32 PM
I don&#39;t remember exactly but I think it was in the mid-70&#39;s when I was between -25 ans -27.

jonnyherb
30-10-07, 05:36 PM
watching Lomu, van der westhuyzen, rob andrew, guscott, will carling, rory underwood, ieuan evans, gregor townsend, gareth edwards- can&#39;t even remeber some of them that well, just remember hearing their names!

if anyone has any specific memories involving any of them i&#39;d be pleased to know!

thanks

Incredible Schalk
30-10-07, 09:12 PM
I started watching in 99, when Scotland won the 5 nations. I have watched many international games since but its only really been this year that i have really got into rugby, having been to see South Africa, Ireland, Scotland etc..

vinhqwerty
30-10-07, 09:16 PM
2002 when england beat all the southern hemisphere sides in the test matches

Steve-o
31-10-07, 08:34 AM
I remember celebrating the 1995 WC win when I was 5 and didn&#39;t really know what I was celebrating lol. I only really started watching rugby in 1997 when I won some cash for predicting the closes score of a Natal Sharks match in 1997 with my bro and dad. Only in 1998 though, I started watching the Boks when we won the Tri nation and came to admire the great Henry Honiball and Andre Joubert of the Sharks

feicarsinn
31-10-07, 09:47 AM
2002 when england beat all the southern hemisphere sides in the test matches
[/b]
ah theres nothing like hopping on the bandwagon is there?

shame its impossible to do that with irish rugby

cos we&#39;re ****

TeddyKGB
31-10-07, 11:00 AM
I have been watchin rugby since the beggining of the world championship 2007

Brodizzle
31-10-07, 11:05 AM
I have been watchin rugby since the beggining of the world championship 2007
[/b]
Welcome to the community :)

Martin1813
31-10-07, 11:40 AM
Since 95. I wait every year the crunch of 6 Nations&#39; France-Angleterre as a climax of the year.

Vambo
13-01-08, 11:34 AM
Strated watching Rugby League around 1988 when Granada used to show a live match on Saturday afternoons. I couldn&#39;t believe the intensity of the game compared to football. The first game I attended was a Wigan v Stains semi final at Old Trafford and that was it... hooked for life.
I tried watching the shamateur code but back then but it was such a poor spectacle that I found it unwatchable. With the advent of &#39;open&#39; professionalism and the return of players like Jifffy, Gibbs, Quinell, Tait, Inga, etc, etc I took more of an interest in Rugby Union and it was the lions tour to South Africa that converted me into a fan.
I now watch and love both codes of rugby and really enjoy the differences between them. League is still my first love though.

Incredible Schalk
15-01-08, 07:25 PM
only since the 2003-2004 Top 14 season when I seen Biarritz play. [/b]

Biarritz made you get into the sport :blink:

maybe you should see a psychiatrist ;)

I started watching in 1999 when Scotland won the 5 nations, until the last couple of years i only really watched the 6 nations and the world cup. But now im a fully fledged rugby fan.

Gavin
15-01-08, 07:34 PM
I&#39;ve been watching rugby since I was five years old, mostly due to the fact that I started playing rugby at the age of four / five

sambãd5
15-01-08, 09:27 PM
<div class='quotemain'>
only since the 2003-2004 Top 14 season when I seen Biarritz play. [/b]

Biarritz made you get into the sport :blink:

maybe you should see a psychiatrist ;)
[/b][/quote]

:lol:

being the only union fan in my family, it took me untill 2000 to find the joys of rugby. i can remember my 1st match i watched. wellington vs taranaki. inspiriational stuff from tito and f***ing awesome game. and i was like, its taken me this long to switch codes?!?!! then being 10 i didnt really support a team and supported wellington for a while, but then came to my senses around 2003 when i watched auckland npc carve up. with quite possibly the best try ive seen. the one where they were down by 1 or 2 pts and they were right on the line and they passed the ball to atinga i think it was and the whole team goes DROP KICK!!! DROP KICK!!! and he fakes a drop kick, side steps and dives at the line, scores a try and knocks himself out on the posts in the process.

but was into league since i can remember. my dad is a league fan, 1st game i went to was warriors vs roosters which we won :cheers:

Incredible Schalk
15-01-08, 10:06 PM
Sorry just noticed that i have basically repeated myself in both posts :lol:

stormmaster1
19-01-08, 03:13 PM
I was playing rugby at school in 1995. watched a little of the world cup but missed most of the big matches. Then got tickets to see Wales play the All Blacks at Wembly. Went to support Wales. Came out supporting New Zealand after one too many chorus of "if you&#39;re English and you know it slit your wrists".

The next year i watched highlights of the HEC on telly, and persuaded my folks to get tickets to the HEC final in cardiff. Loved the atmosphere amongst the tigers fans. We got mullered but i had a great time and 2 years later we got a family season ticket and been following Tigers since.

polonius
20-01-08, 08:18 AM
I remember following Wilson Whineray&#39;s All Black side which toured the UK in 1963-64. The first international I can recall seeing was the 1967 game at Twickenham between England and the All Blacks and I started playing the following year, aged 12.

Sadly, although I had (still have) a deep passion for the game, I never had much talent.

Boggle
22-01-08, 02:20 PM
Being born into a rugby loving south african home I was put infront of the televised rugby games since birth.

I have vague early memories of currie cup matches when I was about 4 or 5.

My first real solid memory was when I was about six years old my uncle took my cousin and me to Newlands to watch a WP vs. EP game where WP obliterated the poor men from the east by 60 to 3 or something.

22-01-08, 10:51 PM
i&#39;m like you, been watching rugby since i can remember, i have vague memories of the 87 RWC.

Captain Morgan
22-01-08, 11:08 PM
I think RWC 1995 but can not remember it that well, the first time i showed a real big interest would have been RWC 1999 where i went to a few of the games.

stormmaster1
23-01-08, 09:35 AM
Access to decent matches is key. My entire family followed rugby much more once my Dad stopped being tight and dished out for Skysports. Actually getting to watch our favourite teams was key before we started going to more games.

cagiuce
12-03-08, 02:22 PM
My first match was at the RWC 95.

Do you remember Jonah Lomu....

gingergenius
12-03-08, 02:33 PM
first ever live match was:

Harlequins vs Wasps at the Stoop.

can&#39;t remember which year, but it was amateurs and Rob Andrew was Wasps&#39; fly half, David Pears 10 for Quins and Quins won. I believe there was a temporary stand in which I was sitting, so it was before they built the big new stand at the Stoop..

jeffb
12-03-08, 04:28 PM
Been watching Wigan since 76/77. Even went to Featherstone, when we got relegated.

Jeff

coyley
13-03-08, 12:00 PM
Have played it all my life but only really started watching it consistently in the last 2 years, thanks to Sky!

camelback
22-04-08, 04:29 PM
My first match was at the RWC 95.

Do you remember Jonah Lomu....
[/b]
Ooooh yeah. I started to watch rugby a little before that, but the RWC 95 was my first great competition, and Jonah Lomu my god ^^

On the semi against the english team.. poor poor mike Catt.

nick_w
22-04-08, 05:34 PM
first ever live match was:

Harlequins vs Wasps at the Stoop.

can&#39;t remember which year, but it was amateurs and Rob Andrew was Wasps&#39; fly half, David Pears 10 for Quins and Quins won. I believe there was a temporary stand in which I was sitting, so it was before they built the big new stand at the Stoop..
[/b]

Funny that, my first match was Wasps against Quins, all be it in 1997 this time around at Loftus Road.

Was playing since 1996, but on general Hiatus at the moment due to professional ties (to unfit).

Charles
22-04-08, 05:35 PM
First memory is the French tour to NZ in 94, aged 12, but as my father was a fan I&#39;ve probably seen a lot more before, although I can&#39;t remeber. Been watching as much games as possible ever since.

blackpudding
29-04-08, 03:57 AM
I started playing in 1969. Watched then very rarely some Super 8 films of french Rugby in our clubhouse.
In 1978 I started travelling to France and Britain to watch some 5 Nations matches.
A big thing were the IRFB cenntenary matches in 1986 British Lions vs South Africa and Rest of the World vs
South Africa.
On our tour to RWC 1991 we lived in the same hotel with the later Worldchampions, that was a great experience.
Today I watch international Rugby from my sofa. Thanks to the Internet, I am able to get a lot.

Gay-Guy
29-04-08, 11:23 AM
Probably 1976 has my earliest memories as a six year old under my fathers influence.

I am proud to say that I had taught my girl when she was about 3 that the team in black was our team and that we always win! :lol: She is now 6 and she always says when I watch the All Blacks "Thats our team daddy...eh daddy....the black one.....we always win". Really makes me proud to hear her so well trianed at a young age on what is really important :cheers:

blackpudding
29-04-08, 12:30 PM
I have to correct my post. It was Overseas XV vs Rest of the World. I uploaded some pictures in the gallery. :huh:

ShaheenJ
29-04-08, 12:53 PM
Hi, I&#39;m from Cape Town, South Africa. And I can remember watching rugby since I was little (probably 6 years old). My dad was a huge Western Province and Springbok fan XD. So I followed in his footsteps hehe... I also have vague memories of RWC 87. Of course during that time South Africa was still in isolation and we couldn&#39;t participate.

I&#39;ve been a rugby fanatic since my dad introduced me to a bunch of vhs tapes he recorded... :)

Dennis1985
12-05-08, 05:22 PM
I am watching rugby since the world cup 2003. The first match I saw was New Zealand beating Italy 70:7. After I saw the All Blacks making the Haka, i got interested.

twjb1
12-05-08, 09:17 PM
Watched League since 1993 My first game was Wigan vs St. Helens at knowsley road but Wigan won so i ended up supporting them. Botica and Tuigamala were fantastic.

Got into Union after the 1995 WC

nako87
03-06-08, 12:34 PM
Since the top16 final in 2001

Thingimubob
03-06-08, 08:00 PM
My Dad has always been a big rugby fan, and his stories of being drunk in Cardiff after the 78 Grandslam are always fun to hear. My first real memory was Scott Gibbs dancing through the English defence in the 32 - 31 victory in Wembley. Remember the teachers in my primary letting us watch the opener to the &#39;99 world cup (Wales v Argentina I think). Losing to Samoa, then Australia, French players crying out of delight after beating the All Blacks (remember that bit, just not much of the match itself) and the final being really boring. My first ever international was in like December (I think) in &#39;99, when I wen;t to Wales v Canada. After that, I remember Shane scoring his first try in 2000 against Italy, kind of lost interest after that, and it picked up again in the 2003 WC. We were doing Rugby in a P.E. Lesson on the Monday after Wales lost to England in the quarter finals, so we were all copying Shane&#39;s juggling act before Stephen Jones&#39;s try. 2005 Grandslam was when I really started paying attention to Rugby, but didn;t start supporting a Club &#39;till I went to a couple of Cardiff Blues games at the start of to 06 - 07 season. When teh beat the Wasps was probably teh game that turned me into a Blues fan :D Great game that was. Have been to every Blues Home game, and one away game this season, so I&#39;m obviously a devoted fan. :D
Think I&#39;ve been to the most Wales games out of my mates, let&#39;s see, Wales v Canada 99, Wales v USA 2000, Wales v French Barbarians 2000 (first ever time they played a game under the closed roof), Wales v Italy 2004, Wales v France 2004, Wales v Romania 2004, Wales v Japan 2004, Wales v Argentina 2007, Wales v Japan RWC 2007. 9 in all, not bad for a 15 year old :P
Only started playing at the start of last season, we only managed 3 games at our club last season (players leaving and other teams canceling...), but have managed a few for my school, nearly all off the bench. It&#39;s strange, I&#39;ve played my my favorite position (Wing) for every club game, but only once for the school, when we beat a touring Canadian Side 24 - 7. Have played Fullback for a French team called Faye Camp once. They were soooo rubbish...
Am stepping up to Youth next season, and are in National League Division BC. So the worst of the worst because we&#39;re really young for a Youth team.

SecondRow04
03-06-08, 08:32 PM
Ive been playing for about 6 years now, hadn&#39;t watched it before so started watching abit of the world cup 2003, got into rugby seriously in about 2005 and followed the guinness prem season 05/06. Now i cant get enough rugby and watch nearly every game that is on T.V.

It is a big part of my life now lol