PDA

View Full Version : The EDF Energy Cup is upon us!

Sir Speedy
25-10-07, 10:36 AM
EDF Energy Cup Weekend: Round 1

Group D Friday 26th October 2007, KO 19:10
Cardiff Blues Sale Sharks

Group B Friday 26th October 2007, KO 19:10
Leeds Carnegie Saracens

Group D Friday 26th October 2007, KO 20:00
Bath Rugby Leicester Tigers

Group B Saturday 27th October 2007, KO 14:15
Worcester Warriors Ospreys

Group C Saturday 27th October 2007, KO 14:30
Gloucester Rugby Newcastle Falcons

Group A Saturday 27th October 2007, KO 15:00
Dragons London Wasps

Group A Saturday 27th October 2007, KO 17:30
London Irish Harlequins

Group C Sunday 28th October 2007, KO 15:00
Bristol Rugby Llanelli Scarlets

I realise some English posters think this tournament is pointless, but nevertheless, the top teams from both Wales and England will be playing with their best players, so please get behind your teams :)

<div align="center">DISCUSSION! PREDICT WINNERS....etc!</div>

RoyalBlueStuey
25-10-07, 10:52 AM
<div align="center">DISCUSSION! PREDICT WINNERS....etc! [/b][/quote]

The bank managers will be the winners and rugby will be the loser.

The EDF Energy Trophy is where it&#39;s at!

Bullitt
25-10-07, 12:00 PM
<div class='quotemain'>
<div align="center">DISCUSSION! PREDICT WINNERS....etc! [/b][/quote]

The bank managers will be the winners and rugby will be the loser.

The EDF Energy Trophy is where it&#39;s at!
[/b][/quote]
What he said. The <strike>Anglo-Welsh</strike> Mickey Mouse cup is a pathetic money spinner taking place at the expense of developing club rugby in England.

RoyalBlueStuey
25-10-07, 12:11 PM
What he said. The <strike>Anglo-Welsh</strike> Mickey Mouse cup is a pathetic money spinner taking place at the expense of developing club rugby in England. [/b]

Hope we stay in the Trophy &#39;til the later rounds...Saints V Waterloo. We&#39;ll drink your beer all afternoon and take it all in, you can happily put 10 tries on us. Everyone&#39;s &#39;appy! Larvely!

Bullitt
25-10-07, 12:16 PM
I&#39;ll make the effort for a jolly north if it comes to that, failing that you can crash here and we&#39;ll have another TRF meetup with the whole gang!

RoyalBlueStuey
25-10-07, 12:19 PM
Hup, hup! Hussah!

Prestwick
25-10-07, 06:08 PM
Good news chaps! The RFU, Premier Rugby and the WRU got together to make a new trophy for the EDF Cup!

http://www.jwodcatalog.com/imgLg/7350002900588.jpg

For the last time Matt: WE! DON&#39;T! CARE!

RC
25-10-07, 06:22 PM
That&#39;s fine, you can carry on not carring and go back to your Guinness premiership that&#39;s so great because..why? Oh yeah, because teams can get relegated which gives OTHERS a chance to move up into the Guinness Premiership. Only, your teams in the National League 1 are so bad that (using this season as a prime example) they will not be able to get promoted...ever.
Northampton will go back up, someone else will go down.
Wow...sounds EXACTLY like the Magners league, only we don&#39;t waste our time shoving one team down a league before bringing them back up the very next season.
:P

Prestwick
25-10-07, 07:22 PM
When I die Matt, I&#39;m going to the Magners League so that I can attone for my sins and eventually gain entrance to heaven.

Want to know why?

Because the Magners League is purgatory.

Also get it right, we have a double header super-dooper special at the start of the season and a big (and rather pointless) cup to win at the end of it! Far bigger than the Ł5 special that the Magners League has!

RC
25-10-07, 08:23 PM
:lol:

f***en, Quality!

Prestwick
27-10-07, 02:52 PM
Massacare at Sixways.

Nuff said

AllezWasps
27-10-07, 03:22 PM
I do not want one RWC player apart from Tom Rees to play in the EDF Cup for Wasps. It is simply not worth it, a cup where Wales sides beat 3rd string English sides until they all f*** up and an English side wins it all.

I won&#39;t bemoan if Wasps win it, but for struggling clubs like Leeds and Worcester and title pushing sides these are matches that take away from important games in the future.

Sky Sports showed a Div1 match on sky sports yesterday, much like the minnows in the RWC, they showed heart, skill and passion. We want the up and coming English sides like Doncaster, London Welsh and Northampton back.

getofmeland
27-10-07, 03:28 PM
Bath 20 - 14 Leicester
Yep, we don&#39;t care about it, unless it means beating the current champions :D

I do not want one RWC player apart from Tom Rees to play in the EDF Cup for Wasps. It is simply not worth it, a cup where Wales sides beat 3rd string English sides until they all f*** up and an English side wins it all.

I won&#39;t bemoan if Wasps win it, but for struggling clubs like Leeds and Worcester and title pushing sides these are matches that take away from important games in the future.

Sky Sports showed a Div1 match on sky sports yesterday, much like the minnows in the RWC, they showed heart, skill and passion. We want the up and coming English sides like Doncaster, London Welsh and Northampton back. [/b]
You forgot the....
Cornish Pirates, Exeter... Always been up near the top of NL1 and always playing some great rugby...

SaintsFan_Webby
27-10-07, 03:31 PM
Thought Cardiff were very impressive on Friday night, even if Sale were missing some big players in the likes of Sheridan, Chabal and White. Be interesting to see how they go in the Heineken Cup when there is actually pressure to win.

As for Worcester this afternoon - I&#39;m both confused and embarassed as to how they managed to stay up at our expense last season. They&#39;re an absolute joke. All credit to the Ospreys for sticking the boot in, but a decent side would actually have taken advantage of the Welsh region&#39;s stumbling set-piece. Great backs, but unless they get some grunt into their pack, they&#39;re going to fall short once again.

fcukernaut
27-10-07, 03:48 PM
Thought Cardiff were very impressive on Friday night, even if Sale were missing some big players in the likes of Sheridan, Chabal and White. Be interesting to see how they go in the Heineken Cup when there is actually pressure to win.[/b]

Sure they put some points on the board, but there if they played against a side that had some sort of imagination, back skills, and some defensive structure they would have lost. Although entertaining, too many times were Cardiff going into contact in one&#39;s and two&#39;s. They were isolating themselves, and for some reason that Irish ref refused to call them for holding on. As well they weren&#39;t committing enough players to the breakdown. They were getting sloppy ball and there should have been many more turnovers from counter rucking. They got off pretty easy. There&#39;s going to come a time when Xavier Rush has to balls up and hit some rucks instead of pretending he&#39;s an outside back.

Surprisingly entertaining affair though, at least when Cardiff had the ball.

Prestwick
27-10-07, 03:53 PM
Bath 20 - 14 Leicester
Yep, we don&#39;t care about it, unless it means beating the current champions :D

<div class='quotemain'> I do not want one RWC player apart from Tom Rees to play in the EDF Cup for Wasps. It is simply not worth it, a cup where Wales sides beat 3rd string English sides until they all f*** up and an English side wins it all.

Sky Sports showed a Div1 match on sky sports yesterday, much like the minnows in the RWC, they showed heart, skill and passion. We want the up and coming English sides like Doncaster, London Welsh and Northampton back. [/b]
You forgot the....
Cornish Pirates, Exeter... Always been up near the top of NL1 and always playing some great rugby...
[/b][/quote]

Anyone but Bedford though...seriously...

TVH11
27-10-07, 04:33 PM
well ospreys just beat a very poor wocester side. was an entertaining game on the whole, but a practically first string ospreys side gave (which i presume) a second string wocester side a woopin. a shame really , cause they didn&#39;t deserve it. I thought the game really showed the difference in playing styles between Wales and England. Ospreys played a very open and expansive game, shown through all tries (7 in total) being scored by backs! with Wocester playing a very forward orientated game, despite only scoring once , which came from a cross kick. good start for welsh teams so far. but obviously we&#39;ve gotta take into consideration that the england national players aren&#39;t back yet, but the style of rugby i don&#39;t think will change much. oh well looking forward to tonight and 2morro&#39;s macthes now!!!!

SaintsFan_Webby
27-10-07, 04:49 PM
Nope, Worcester are just ****. I&#39;m pretty sure they weren&#39;t missing too many players, they really are that poor.

RC
27-10-07, 04:52 PM
They can&#39;t be consistently that poor.
I mean, for the Saints to have gone down last season Worcester must have put up a few good performances.
I saw saints beat Leicester last season and it was an absolute cracker...how did this relegation happen if the warriors are that bad?
I&#39;m not criticising, or stirring **** here, i&#39;m just curious as to how this all came about for your boys, Webby.

SaintsFan_Webby
27-10-07, 05:09 PM
We didn&#39;t have a pack last year, plus we had a horrible injury list. This year we&#39;re carving up NL1 with a team that is actually better than the one that got relegated.

Could suprise a few people when we&#39;re back up next year. Well perhaps not suprise, just catch somewhat cold...

O'Rothlain
27-10-07, 05:38 PM
So, is this Anglo-Welsh thing picking up momentum or something? I watched Sale v Cardiff last night. Good match...if you were a Blues Fan. Chabal would not have allowed such nonsense.

fcukernaut
27-10-07, 06:08 PM
So, is this Anglo-Welsh thing picking up momentum or something? I watched Sale v Cardiff last night. Good match...if you were a Blues Fan. Chabal would not have allowed such nonsense. [/b]

Well certainly a full strength Sale pack would have forced the Cardiff backrow into doing some more of the hard yards instead of them being out wide, playing with the backs.

Prestwick
27-10-07, 10:40 PM
So, is this Anglo-Welsh thing picking up momentum or something? I watched Sale v Cardiff last night. Good match...if you were a Blues Fan. Chabal would not have allowed such nonsense. [/b]

Is it gaining momentum? Survey says....no.

I could also say "if Sale had their best team out..." but sadly due to injuries and other factors (such as resting players by not playing them in the EDF), the only way Sale can play Blues with a strong team is if they met in the HEC.

They can&#39;t be consistently that poor.
I mean, for the Saints to have gone down last season Worcester must have put up a few good performances.
I saw saints beat Leicester last season and it was an absolute cracker...how did this relegation happen if the warriors are that bad?
I&#39;m not criticising, or stirring **** here, i&#39;m just curious as to how this all came about for your boys, Webby.
[/b]

Seriously, I watched a fair few Warriors games live last year and they were for the most part abysmal, struggling against even Italian side Viadana.

When the mightly titans of recent failure (Worcester, Saracens & Northampton) met at Sixways it was a kind of embarrasing sight to see. It was like the special needs rugby teams of London, the West Country and the Midlands meeting up for some fun and flailing of arms. Seriously...those days were dark man. English Rugby needs Worcester and Northampton to get back to their best.

RC
27-10-07, 10:46 PM
<div class='quotemain'> So, is this Anglo-Welsh thing picking up momentum or something? I watched Sale v Cardiff last night. Good match...if you were a Blues Fan. Chabal would not have allowed such nonsense. [/b]

[/b][/quote]

All depends on what survey you&#39;re referring to i suppose...

Prestwick
27-10-07, 10:53 PM
<div class='quotemain'> <div class='quotemain'> So, is this Anglo-Welsh thing picking up momentum or something? I watched Sale v Cardiff last night. Good match...if you were a Blues Fan. Chabal would not have allowed such nonsense. [/b]

[/b][/quote]

All depends on what survey you&#39;re referring to i suppose...
[/b][/quote]

The correct survey..

DC
28-10-07, 03:28 AM
the guinness premiership promotion relegation system right now is an absolute joke.

you send one team down they destroy everyone and then they come right back up and you repeat that forever..

if club rugby really wanted to be sorted over there you&#39;d drop 1 team one year and promote 2 the next and there you go problem solved.

SaintsFan_Webby
28-10-07, 08:49 AM
the guinness premiership promotion relegation system right now is an absolute joke.

you send one team down they destroy everyone and then they come right back up and you repeat that forever..

if club rugby really wanted to be sorted over there you&#39;d drop 1 team one year and promote 2 the next and there you go problem solved. [/b]

Are you Rob Andrew in disguise?

1 - Promoting more teams than you relegate throws the whole league structure into chaos.

2 - Teams like Worcester and Leeds have not been around the top flight for that long. Ugly as their styles are, had you thrown them into the GP too early they would have crashed and burned.

3 - If you knew anything about National League 1, you&#39;d know that teams such as Doncaster, Exeter and Cornish Pirates have been steadily building a head of steam for a number of years now. As such, it won&#39;t be long (mabye no longer than next season in fact) before the relegated team does not simply walk away with the league.

Please don&#39;t make sweeping statements about something unless you have really focussed on it and know exactly what you&#39;re talking about.

We&#39;re only creaming the rest of the league this year because we are one of the most financially profitable clubs in England and have been able to keep a lot of internationals on our books. Had our squad from last year dispersed, you wouldn&#39;t be seeing the same situation.

RC
28-10-07, 08:59 AM
The English survey..

[/b]

Amended.

gjohn85
28-10-07, 11:51 AM
<div class='quotemain'>

The English survey..

[/b]

Amended.
[/b][/quote] Brilliant Matt!! :cheers:

DC
28-10-07, 04:11 PM
<div class='quotemain'> the guinness premiership promotion relegation system right now is an absolute joke.

if club rugby really wanted to be sorted over there you&#39;d drop 1 team one year and promote 2 the next and there you go problem solved. [/b]

Are you Rob Andrew in disguise?

1 - Promoting more teams than you relegate throws the whole league structure into chaos.

2 - Teams like Worcester and Leeds have not been around the top flight for that long. Ugly as their styles are, had you thrown them into the GP too early they would have crashed and burned.

3 - If you knew anything about National League 1, you&#39;d know that teams such as Doncaster, Exeter and Cornish Pirates have been steadily building a head of steam for a number of years now. As such, it won&#39;t be long (mabye no longer than next season in fact) before the relegated team does not simply walk away with the league.

Please don&#39;t make sweeping statements about something unless you have really focussed on it and know exactly what you&#39;re talking about.

We&#39;re only creaming the rest of the league this year because we are one of the most financially profitable clubs in England and have been able to keep a lot of internationals on our books. Had our squad from last year dispersed, you wouldn&#39;t be seeing the same situation.

[/b][/quote]

1. No it wouldnt, throwing 1 down this season and bringing up the top 2 the next year and then promoting and relegating 2 and 2 each year after that would solve your problem. Add 1 week to the season and there you go, youve got a decent promotion relegation system where a team other than a GP team can actually get promoted.

2. Sure they may have crashed and burned, but think about what it would do for them.. Think of the sheer amount of money a club like that would make and what they could do with that money, and the fan support they could even build up. Sure they might suck but look at what playing better teams have done for the likes of Canada, they tour europe get the **** beat out of them every year. But you better believe they are getting better.

3. Of course they simply wont walk away with it, theyll maybe lose 1 game and still get promoted. Northampton are undefeated right now, last year Leeds whooped pretty much everyone, it really wasnt close at all. You are already essentially up 6 points already on Doncaster (game in hand)

You decide what helps a team more, finishing second or third in the national 1 every year, or actually having a chance to play in the GP and improve against the better teams?

Either way they need a FA Cup like tournament instead of the EDF a tournament where any team can participate. That would develop club rugby as well.

SaintsFan_Webby
28-10-07, 05:19 PM
Either way they need a FA Cup like tournament instead of the EDF a tournament where any team can participate. That would develop club rugby as well.
[/b]

This quote shows me that you have not researched English club rugby well enough yet to talk about it in depth.

Go back 3 or 4 seasons and we had a competition exactly like this!

The EDFCBGJJOOHG Cup simply replaced it once the RFU heard the sweet sound of money approaching. Bit of background research and you would already have known this.

Just to clear up some other points: 1 more team in the league would require 2 more weeks to be added to the season. Where exactly would you plan on placing these in the already overcrowded schedule? One season&#39;s worth of cash also means squat if you can&#39;t build a squad good to enough to compete at the top level in the long term. And as for Leeds running away with the league - they really didn&#39;t. It wasn&#39;t until late in the season that they opened up any sort of gap. Doncaster and Rotherham were up their arse most of the way.

Crackdown
28-10-07, 05:51 PM
DC your ideas for the league are half-baked at best, I disagree with pretty much everything you said - you obviously aren&#39;t familiar with ND1 rugby at all.

Good win for Bris today though. B)

Cymrurugbyfan
28-10-07, 06:18 PM
DC your ideas for the league are half-baked at best, I disagree with pretty much everything you said - you obviously aren&#39;t familiar with ND1 rugby at all.

Good win for Bris today though. B) [/b]

Yeh, Llanelli&#39;s set-piece was terrible, but we looked slightly better with our replacements on and a losing bonus point still puts us in the running with two guaranteed bonus point wins with Saracens and Leeds at Stradey Park. :rolleyes:

Bullitt
28-10-07, 06:23 PM
I saw saints beat Leicester last season and it was an absolute cracker...how did this relegation happen if the warriors are that bad?[/b]

Worcester didn&#39;t waste Shane Drahm&#39;s talent at fullback last year.

Prestwick
28-10-07, 06:29 PM
<div class='quotemain'>

The Correct/English survey..

[/b]

Amended.
[/b][/quote]

Same thing. :lol:

Crackdown
28-10-07, 06:48 PM
<div class='quotemain'> DC your ideas for the league are half-baked at best, I disagree with pretty much everything you said - you obviously aren&#39;t familiar with ND1 rugby at all.

Good win for Bris today though. B) [/b]

Yeh, Llanelli&#39;s set-piece was terrible, but we looked slightly better with our replacements on and a losing bonus point still puts us in the running with two guaranteed bonus point wins with Saracens and Leeds at Stradey Park. :rolleyes:
[/b][/quote]

Yup, was disappointed that we let that last minute try in (though it was deserved), Leeds will be a pushover (sorry to the fans), we demolished them last week with their strongest side out - methinks it&#39;ll be a long season for them and Wuss. Sarries could be interesting depending on what side they put out, we&#39;ll have to wait and see.

Thought the ref was crap today - should have been a card the other way in the first half too for repeat offences in and around the scrum.

RC
31-10-07, 08:39 PM
So hands up who hates Justin Marshall.

I really wish this guy wasn&#39;t at the Ospreys. I would have rather kept Spice than have to have that idiot who - for some reason - doens&#39;t actually spend the game at scrum half.

Prestwick
31-10-07, 10:29 PM
Thats the "magic" of Justin Marshall.

Bit of a handy tip to the Hairsprays coach, if you see that there is an All Blacks greats testimonial match, hide Justin&#39;s passport.

gjohn85
02-11-07, 10:23 PM
I like Justin Marshall, he adds experience & gives the Ospreys that extra strength in their squad. Marshall & Phillips are two different styles of players & where Lyn Jones keeps swapping who starts & who comes on keeps the competitiveness strong.

If the Ospreys do well in the HC this year, this will be one of their main weapons.

As for Jason Spice, he is a basic scrum half, he plays well, but never seems to create much. Spice is a decent 2nd choice scrumhalf, but not a 1st choice scrum half.

getofmeland
03-11-07, 09:18 AM
Friday Results

Llanelli Scarlets 59-19 Leeds
Sale 25-10 Bath

Crackdown
03-11-07, 05:05 PM
No surprise in the Leeds game but Sale doing a number on Bath will dampen their spirits.

Cardiff mangled by Leicester today (some awful refereeing and even worse commentary on the BBC), should make for an interesting group.

RC
04-11-07, 09:19 AM
Cardiff were absolutely shocking - deserved the hammering.

The Dragons just lost to Newcastle 29-24 i believe.
Does anyone know anything about that game? Sounds like it was quite close and might have been a good one.

Crackdown
04-11-07, 10:08 AM
Newcastle Falcons 29 Newport Gwent Dragons 24
Newcastle Falcons marched one step closer to the semi-finals of the EDF Energy Cup at Kingston Park on Saturday, with a bonus point victory over Welsh side Newport Gwent Dragons.
Scoring four tries in a match full of incident, there was drama right until the final whistle as a never-say-die Dragons side pushed the hosts all the way.

But in the end a gutsy Falcons side held out, meaning that victory in their final pool match at Wasps would all but book their place in the final four of the competition.

Sporting their blue, red, white and green kit in aid of the Wooden Spoon Society, the Falcons welcomed back World Cup hero Mathew Tait to first team action, with the 21-year-old centre combining with John Rudd for an early foray down the left wing after Newport fly half Aled Thomas had missed with his first penalty attempt on eight minutes.

The deadlock was broken moments later as home fly half Toby Flood stroked over a penalty from 30 metres after hands in the ruck, before the first try finally arrived midway through the opening half.

When it came it was a well-crafted score, Tait’s drifting run and inside pass to Flood freeing captain Joe McDonnell to bash a hole in the fringe defence before popping off the ground to Flood, whose flip pass fed in Jones for a jinking score.

Flood added the extras from in front of the posts, and it got better for the Falcons when their Welsh opponents were reduced to 14 men with the sin-binning of flanker Joe Bearman for killing the ball on the floor.

From the resulting line out Newcastle grabbed their second try as Kiwi openside Brent Wilson piled over the line from a well organised and powerful rolling maul – the point of attack shifting effectively to free up Wilson for his barrelling finish.

Flood’s touchline conversion sailed through for a 17-0 lead, and it seemed there was no way back for Newport on the half hour when lock Andrew Hall joined Bearman in the sin bin for yet more skulduggery at the ruck.

But not only did the 13 men fight gamely to stop the Newcastle rolling maul, they poached a shock try as scrum half Lee Dickson’s attempted offload was picked off by fullback Martyn Thomas, who sped home despite the attentions of England speedster Mathew Tait behind him.

Aled Thomas converted to narrow the gap to ten at the interval, but the Falcons came flying out of the blocks for the second half as Ollie Phillips grabbed their third try of the night as he gathered a Toby Flood cross kick in the right corner to dive over.

Still though the Dragons, captained by ex-Falcons skipper Colin Charvis, would not lie down, and they grabbed a lifeline ten minutes in to the half as prop Rhys Thomas emerged from under a heap of bodies with the ball over the Newcastle line to again rein the gap to ten.

A back spasm saw Flood leave the field as an all-Tait centre pairing took shape for the first time with Alex joining brother Mathew from the bench, but despite an early big smash tackle from the England Under-19s star he was soon back under his own posts as Dragons scrum half Andy Williams spun over the line for their third try.

Thomas’s conversion took the scores to 22-19 as the Falcons just kept their noses in front – Steve Jones nearly breaking the line with a nice show-and-go while Geoff Parling’s rampaging run down the right threatened to produce a bonus point score.

Newcastle’s cause was done no favours with the second-half sin-binning of Mathew Tait for killing the ball as a tense finale ensued, but on the back of good forward pressure there was not too long to wait for the fourth try.

From line out ball on the 22 the hosts set up the rolling maul, before fly half Jones produced a sublime pop pass for bullocking winger John Rudd on the crash ball. The former Northampton man bulldozed his way through the first tackler, sprinting 20 metres before being hauled down by the last man. Undeterred, Rudd rose to his feet to fall over the line, sparking jubilant scenes in front of a packed South Terrace.

Jones’ conversion looked to have sealed the deal at 29-19, but there was still time for high drama as Dragons prop Rhys Thomas grabbed a second try straight from the restart as persistent pick-and-go work paid off.

With the seconds ebbing away the Falcons pack looked to be running the clock down, before firing a pass back to Jones who spilled the ball on his own line, frantically hacking clear as the onrushing attackers beared down on the loose ball.

Thankfully some semblance of control was restored as a game defensive effort in the last minute forced the Dragons to knock-on out wide, as the Falcons took a major step towards the semi-finals.

Newcastle Falcons:

Tries: Jones, B Wilson, Phillips, Rudd
Cons: Flood 2, Jones
Pens: Flood

Newport Gwent Dragons:

Tries: Rhys Thomas 2, Martyn Thomas, Williams
Cons: Aled Thomas 2[/b]

Sounded like a good game, I didn&#39;t realise it was on S4C otherwise I would have watched/recorded it - wish there was a website/listing where I could find all the rugby that&#39;s shown on Sky... I only recently found out that Eurosport shows the French leagues.
:wall:

RC
04-11-07, 12:01 PM
That sounds like it would have been a good game. Will have to catch the highlights on ScrumV tonight.

But all that aside, a few hours to go until my Ospreys put one over the London Irish.
Wooh!

RC
04-11-07, 04:01 PM
Who is the referee in this Ospreys vs London Irish match?
He is one of the worst i&#39;ve ever seen - he doesn&#39;t like calling penalty against L.I. but he&#39;s more than happy to pick up on "penalties" that Ospreys seem to be commiting.

2 great tries by the Ospreys though, although making some very silly mistakes conceding penalties they are looking much stronger throughout.
London Irish are lucky to have 16 points at the end of the first half.

Half time: Ospreys 20 - 16 London Irish

AllezWasps
04-11-07, 04:37 PM
Wasps 29 - 26 Gloucester

18 point comeback by Wasps, looks like the Internationals have made an impact already.

leicester fox
04-11-07, 04:43 PM
tigers looked much better with their world cup players back. ospreys ran away with this 2nd half and have been great to watch at times. Hensons hairs awful!

loratadine
04-11-07, 04:58 PM
henson is f***ing lush mate... jealous?

good win for our boys sets us up nicely now for the hc!!

shane williams is scoring for fun recently... good to see.

RC
04-11-07, 04:59 PM
The referee continued to show how inept he was during the second half as well.
We demolish London Irish in the scrum - we come out the victims. London Irish get isolated and hold on - nothing. We get isolated and hold on - instant penalty. London Irish come in straight off their feet - nothing. We do the same Jon Thomas gets threatened with a yellow card.
Bull****.
But then we began to play. We played perfect rugby. We played open, expansive, beautiful rugby and the Irish just didn&#39;t stand a chance.
Shane got himself a hatrick, Hook continually tore the field apart, Tiatia was immense throughout. Henson was exemplary in his defence, didn&#39;t step a foot wrong once again.
Hook does another crossfield kick leading to yet another try.
Tiatia and Phillips team together to do the same try that they did last week where Filo takes the ball in the lineout and drops it to Phillips who runs straight through the middle of the line out.

As many silly errors as we made we made up for it with brilliant rugby the rest of the time.
It was one of our most complete performances i&#39;ve seen in a long time.
Forwards dominated - backs dominated.
Everything looked like it was going to lead to a try in the second half...hence the reason we ended up scoring 5 tries in the 2nd 40mins.

A 7 try bonanza and 5 well earned points.
What an absolute storming game.

Full Time: Ospreys 51 -16 London Irish

leicester fox
04-11-07, 05:20 PM
henson is f***ing lush mate... jealous?

good win for our boys sets us up nicely now for the hc!!

shane williams is scoring for fun recently... good to see.
[/b]
His hairs so greasy he could be French :P you do look a seriously strong outfit this year, I&#39;m still backing tigers for everything as I do every year though!

dullonien
05-11-07, 02:30 PM
Missed all but the O&#39;s game this weekend, was setting fire to rockets. Ospreys showed why I think they will be crowned kings of europe this year. They have quality from 1-15, and with creators like Hook and finishers like Shane, gonna take a good team to beat them (granted there are a few).

If Bishop hadn&#39;t messed up a few times, there would have been another 2 or 3 tries, sure he&#39;ll get it right next week if he plays.

stormmaster1
05-11-07, 02:51 PM
Missed all but the O&#39;s game this weekend, was setting fire to rockets. Ospreys showed why I think they will be crowned kings of europe this year. They have quality from 1-15, and with creators like Hook and finishers like Shane, gonna take a good team to beat them (granted there are a few).

If Bishop hadn&#39;t messed up a few times, there would have been another 2 or 3 tries, sure he&#39;ll get it right next week if he plays. [/b]

They look good, and certainly have a talented squad, but i couldn&#39;t tip them to win Europe untill they come up against a side with a top pack and a top defence playing at a higher intensity. If they win a big test and show some real character then maybe....... but i think the french sides and Leicester will have too much up front for them.

SaintsFan_Webby
05-11-07, 02:53 PM
The things that makes me unsure of the Ospreys conquering Europe yet are twofold:

1 - the front 5. They have some undoubted quality in the lock positions, so the receiving end of the lineout shouldn&#39;t, in theory, see too many problems. However, to my knowledge they don&#39;t seem to possess a hooker at the top of his game. This could be a problem. On top of this, lame though they are, the Worcester scrum had the Ospreys pack on the backfoot almost the entire match. Teams like Leicester, Stade Francais etc, could absolutely wreck the Ospreys set-piece.

2 - although they play some lovely rugby when they get the ball in space, do the Ospreys have the ability to grind out the tough wins when necessary? Again this comes back to what I perceive as weakness amongst the front five (more the front row than anything). Opponents like Leicester, Wasps and Munster are able to do the nitty-gritty when it matters. Are the Ospreys yet? I&#39;m not sure.

Actually, I&#39;ve thought of something else. Amongst the backs I see the possibity of temprement standing in the way of reaching potential (Marshall, Henson, Byrne). And they don&#39;t have a decent 13.

Basically, I can quite easily see the Ospreys doing a New Zealand in the European Cup - they&#39;ll play lovely rugby against teams they are expected to beat, but they might come unstuck when someone doesn&#39;t let them have their own way.

Crackdown
05-11-07, 04:40 PM
All went a bit pete tong for Bris against Sarries - though it was far from our best side and we are focusing on the Heineken Cup rather than this. Still it&#39;s disappointing and according to match reviewers both sides looked like they weren&#39;t taking the competition seriously, which isn&#39;t good really.

RC
05-11-07, 05:53 PM
Webby, you&#39;ve made many very good points there.
Ospreys are a young franchise and have not had to pull together very often to get those necesary wins. We haven&#39;t had the experience of how to close a big game - even if we do have the potential.

I&#39;m not happy with our front row. I never have been. Granted we&#39;ve got great receivers in the lineout but Huw Bennet is **** at throwing the ball in so there&#39;s no point of those boys being there when we&#39;ve only got a success ratio of 75%.
And yes, we were under the kosh for the entrie game against Worcester.

However, i ask you not to underestimate Bishop. As long as Parker isn&#39;t playing, then we&#39;ve got a centre who is very strong and a solid defender and very rarely does a match go by where he doesn&#39;t cause the other team trouble. The only problem is he hardly ever gets a chance to prove himself against the other bigboys because Lyn "The Dumbass" Jones always choses Sonny Boy!

But yes, ultimately, we shall not be considered worthy until we actually clout a heavyweight and prove ourselves as one first. Otherwise we&#39;re gonna be QF&#39;s at best and no one will acknowledge the danger we possess...at least not until next time around.

And i&#39;m sick of saying, "There&#39;s always next time."

fcukernaut
05-11-07, 09:09 PM
And i&#39;m sick of saying, "There&#39;s always next time." [/b]

You&#39;re sick of it, I think there&#39;s a phrase that every kiwi is sick of "four more years".

Now did you say Filo Tiatia plays for the Ospreys? Jesus, if so you really weren&#39;t kidding about the Ospreys buying all your childhood All Blacks...

I&#39;ve got a question though regarding Leicester, they played a fairly expansive game against Cardiff, was that an aberation and the fact they were playing against a poor defensive outfit, or do they truely try to put points on the board and play some nice rugby?

Bullitt
05-11-07, 09:21 PM
It&#39;s all lies. They&#39;re an English side, all they dare do is boot the ball high in the air and take the three points.

How dare you imply any of our glorious boring sides considered attempting any of this so-called "nice rugby"?! What sort of ideas do you want to be putting about?!?!?!?!?!?!

RC
05-11-07, 09:26 PM
Now did you say Filo Tiatia plays for the Ospreys? Jesus, if so you really weren&#39;t kidding about the Ospreys buying all your childhood All Blacks...

I&#39;ve got a question though regarding Leicester, they played a fairly expansive game against Cardiff, was that an aberation and the fact they were playing against a poor defensive outfit, or do they truely try to put points on the board and play some nice rugby?

[/b]

Yup, Filo plays for us now. Hell, he&#39;s our captain and consistently one of the best players on the team!
As i said, all your childhood All Blacks are here!
(I don&#39;t know whether to laugh or cry)

And yes, Leicester went out and played some nice rugby against a noone-too-shabby Cardiff team.

Cymrurugbyfan
05-11-07, 10:31 PM
I&#39;d be happy to have Tiatia with the Scarlets if you (RC) had any power with the Ospreys to release him. :P He&#39;s had so many MotM awards recently it&#39;s hard to keep count! :o

stormmaster1
06-11-07, 08:06 AM
<div class='quotemain'> Now did you say Filo Tiatia plays for the Ospreys? Jesus, if so you really weren&#39;t kidding about the Ospreys buying all your childhood All Blacks...

[/b]

Yup, Filo plays for us now. Hell, he&#39;s our captain and consistently one of the best players on the team!
As i said, all your childhood All Blacks are here!
(I don&#39;t know whether to laugh or cry)

And yes, Leicester went out and played some nice rugby against a noone-too-shabby Cardiff team.
[/b][/quote]

tigers playing nice rugby? I agree, but most others might want to keep quiet or risk being branded heretics.

Seriously though, with players like Murphy, Murphy, Rabeni, Varndell, Hipkiss and Tuilagi there&#39;s always the risk that the backs might do something good.

Bullitt
06-11-07, 11:57 AM
In Varndells case, it&#39;s not a serious risk.

In fact, it&#39;s such a minor risk, I would rule it out of the equation completely. :bleh!:

Crackdown
06-11-07, 12:53 PM
:lol: I can see fcukernaut reeling from the realisation that English sides actually play rugby and not 15-man mauls...

fcukernaut
06-11-07, 03:53 PM
:lol: I can see fcukernaut reeling from the realisation that English sides actually play rugby and not 15-man mauls... [/b]

I&#39;m not an idiot, I do realize there will be clubs who can and do play running rugby. Especially with the diversity of the types of players in the European leagues, there are bound to be a clash of styles. I don&#39;t know enough about Euro leagues to comment on it and without Super rugby for another 2 months I&#39;m looking for a team to adopt to make the games more interesting. And so my question still needs to be answered, do the Leicester consistently unleash their backs or do they stick with the boot of their trailer park first-five (loving the handlebar on Goode, fantastic)? I suppose a follow up question would be who else in the GP or ML utilize their backs consistently? And which teams I need to avoid if I don&#39;t want to watch a ten man game?

SaintsFan_Webby
06-11-07, 04:01 PM
Don&#39;t watch Worcester. Arguably the most exciting team in the Guinness Premiership over the last couple of seasons has been Gloucester.

Bullitt
06-11-07, 04:21 PM
As Webby says, Gloucester are generally the best all round sde at the moment in the whole hemisphere. A good mix of power forwards and slippery wiesels in the backs.

This season, Bath are proberbly playing the best running rugby (although remember this is northern style running, no set moves featuring 37 passes and 16 offloads to gain 25m, we&#39;re talking 2 passes and 90m gains here).

Leicester are generally an up-yer-jumper side, but Hipkiss and Tuilagi can be worth the entrance fee alone.

Saracens are, um, Saracens. Very exciting, in a dull sort of way.

Worcester are crap.

Leeds are a rugby league side. Not that they are particularly skillful, more so that nobody turns up at the breakdown to contest the ruck so they get turned over. A lot.

Sale will come good when St. Andre stops having a hissy fit over not getting the France job or if Mallender doesn&#39;t poach all their players to Northampton.

Irish are a bit poo this year. Pitty really as they were immense at the end of last season.

The Bristol XV have a combind age of 1500 years.

Wasps - everybody hates them.

Newcastle - Don&#39;t bother.

Quins - A bit posh for my taste.

RC
06-11-07, 09:44 PM
Ospreys - try to use forwards. Fail. Utilise backs where Marhsll f***s about with the ball until someone kicks him up the arse and the QUALITY players get hold of it, throw the ball around wildly hoping to get it out to shane and pray he can tear the field apart once again.

Cardiff - Use forwards and backs equally - backs are ageing fools tho and so their two centres (both no.13&#39;s playing with different numbers on their backs) run striaght ...everytime.

Dragons - Use back row forwards as backs - then give it to the wingers who proceed to run the ball into touch.

Scarlets - Utilise backs - try to act all tactical because they&#39;ve got peel and jones, but they just end up panicing and giving it to Mark Jones on the wing and hope his speed can get them passed the gain line.

SaintsFan_Webby
06-11-07, 09:49 PM
To be fair, the Scarlets actually just give the ball to Regan King when in doubt.

Crackdown
06-11-07, 09:56 PM
I&#39;m not an idiot, I do realize there will be clubs who can and do play running rugby.[/b]

:P I think you take me too seriously, other sides you might consider:

Northampton: underachievers and even worse than Worcester which resulted in them getting ejected from the Prem last season (despite having magicians and superstars like Carlos Spencer).

Cornish Pirates: up and coming club who will be in competition for the Prem in a few seasons time - play quite attractive rugby.

Exeter Chiefs: similar to above except been around the park for much longer.

Forgot to mention whatever you do don&#39;t decide to follow Barf - more disliked than the pests. :ph34r:

Bullitt
06-11-07, 10:24 PM
Northampton: underachievers and even worse than Worcester which resulted in them getting ejected from the Prem last season (despite having magicians and superstars like Carlos Spencer).[/b]Having watched both this year, I&#39;d say Saints are better then Leeds and Worcester this year. And Quins.

Wooo! 9th best!!! :bana: :bana: :bana:

leicester fox
06-11-07, 10:51 PM
In Varndells case, it&#39;s not a serious risk.

In fact, it&#39;s such a minor risk, I would rule it out of the equation completely. :bleh!:
[/b]
Don&#39;t let Austin Healey here you saying that. He thinks he&#39;s the Brian habana of English rugby :blink: He&#39;s quite exciting either way but lets face it, he&#39;s not going to become anywhere near Habana for few years, or centuries.

Crackdown
06-11-07, 10:57 PM
I&#39;d say the Saints are probably better than Leeds and Wuss at the moment too - not sure about Quins though.

Bullitt
06-11-07, 11:26 PM
They&#39;ve got a win over Quins this season. So by rule of averages, Peanut Butter Jelly Time!!!

fcukernaut
06-11-07, 11:37 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE("rinkadink")</div>
:P I think you take me too seriously, other sides you might consider[/b]

I thought it came off too harsh, because that wasn&#39;t my intention. Damn the internet and my poor attempts to articulate my self. :D

As for your National League One reports, thank you but I have no real use for them though as I&#39;m stranded in the middle of barren rugby wasteland. If it weren&#39;t for Setanta Broadband and Media zone I&#39;d be completely rugby free barring Total Rugby on Sunday mornings. Yet I do find it highly disturbing that you think of Carlos Spencer as a "superstar", he is just a product of media hype and not for his true footballing talents. He is one of the most error prone players I have ever witnessed.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE("leicester fox")</div>
Don&#39;t let Austin Healey here you saying that. He thinks he&#39;s the Brian habana of English rugby :blink: He&#39;s quite exciting either way but lets face it, he&#39;s not going to become anywhere near Habana for few years, or centuries.[/b]

I don&#39;t know about Bryan Habana but that sidestep he put on the weekend was a thing of beauty.

Crackdown
06-11-07, 11:45 PM
One of our Bris wingers, Lee Robinson makes mincemeat of Varndell every time he plays - also put a crunching tackle on him at the start of the season that had him down for a couple of minutes. The thing with Carlos is when he&#39;s good there&#39;s not many better but when he&#39;s busy passing to nobody or being way too speculative he&#39;s a liability.

Would I be happy with my club paying his wages considering his performance? No. I&#39;m sure a lot of Saints fans would disagree though...

*Edit*
Thought I&#39;d sneak in a quick video of Lee: Click Here (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BQwP3bdgLio)

Prestwick
07-11-07, 05:56 AM
One of our Bris wingers, Lee Robinson makes mincemeat of Varndell every time he plays - also put a crunching tackle on him at the start of the season that had him down for a couple of minutes. The thing with Carlos is when he&#39;s good there&#39;s not many better but when he&#39;s busy passing to nobody or being way too speculative he&#39;s a liability.

Would I be happy with my club paying his wages considering his performance? No. I&#39;m sure a lot of Saints fans would disagree though...

*Edit*
Thought I&#39;d sneak in a quick video of Lee: Click Here (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BQwP3bdgLio) [/b]

He didn&#39;t make mincemeat of anyone in Saracens this weekend past :lol:

Crackdown
07-11-07, 08:02 AM
<div class='quotemain'> One of our Bris wingers, Lee Robinson makes mincemeat of Varndell every time he plays - also put a crunching tackle on him at the start of the season that had him down for a couple of minutes. The thing with Carlos is when he&#39;s good there&#39;s not many better but when he&#39;s busy passing to nobody or being way too speculative he&#39;s a liability.

*Edit*
Thought I&#39;d sneak in a quick video of Lee: Click Here (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BQwP3bdgLio) [/b]

He didn&#39;t make mincemeat of anyone in Saracens this weekend past :lol:
[/b][/quote]

He made some good breaks and defence was solid, one of the few Bristol players that turned up! :rahh:

We are really disappointed because it&#39;s clear the team weren&#39;t interested in the game and would rather be somewhere else (even though it was our 2nd string, we do have some depth now, unlike post-bankruptcy) - the Prem is the most important in some ways but I hope they don&#39;t decide the same for the HC.

stormmaster1
07-11-07, 08:05 AM
if the question is who in the GP uses their backs the most in the most exciting way it probably is Glos. Leicester are like most rugby teams. Their backs get unleashed once the forward battle is won and the opposition is on the back foot. Most teams have a back 3 who have enough pace to look good given the opportunity. the difference is who has the fly half and centres capable of creating the space, given that most GP sides go for power and defensive ability first.

loratadine
07-11-07, 05:58 PM
The Bristol XV have a combind age of 1500 years[/b]

bit like the national side eh? :rolleyes:

Moderator Prestwick says:

http://img137.imageshack.us/img137/323/magnersleagueuo9.jpg

Bullitt
07-11-07, 06:37 PM
Not far off!

Cymrurugbyfan
18-11-07, 04:40 PM
Fri, 30th Nov 07, 19:30 GA - Dragons v Gloucester Rugby - Rodney Parade

Fri, 30th Nov 07, 19:40 GB - Bath Rugby v Cardiff Blues - Recreation Ground - BBC Wales

Fri, 30th Nov 07, 19:40 GB - Leicester Tigers v Sale Sharks - Welford Road

Sat, 1st Dec 07, 14:30 GD - Llanelli Scarlets v Saracens - Stradey Park - BBC Network

Sat, 1st Dec 07, 15:00 GA - London Wasps v Newcastle Falcons - Adams Park

Sun, 2nd Dec 07, 15:00 GD - Bristol Rugby v Leeds Carnegie - Memorial Stadium

Sun, 2nd Dec 07, 15:00 GC - London Irish v Worcester Warriors - Madejski Stadium

Sun, 2nd Dec 07, 15:10 GC - Harlequins v Ospreys - The Stoop - BBC Wales

The final round of the EDF Cup will be around in a fortnight. In the meantime, Welsh fans will be watching the Wales v South Africa game (I&#39;ll be in the stadium, wuuhuu).
Anybody want to predict winners for the above fixtures? Or shall we all moan about how worthless the competition is, despite the matches being played with some full-strength squads and watched by many spectators?

stormmaster1
19-11-07, 08:04 AM
Can&#39;t guess at a lot of the fixtures as some are meaningless with neither side able to progress in the competition (e.g. Bristol v Leeds).

I can see the finalists being Leicester, Wasps, Ospreys and Llanelli. The best chance of another side going through is Saracens. llanelli need to win without conceding a bonus point. Not an easy job, but i think they can do it.

Cymrurugbyfan
26-11-07, 08:04 PM
The semi-finalists should be Llanelli, Ospreys, Leicester and Wasps.

Llanelli&#39;s chances: Hammered by Leicester in the Euro semi last year, destroyed by Wasps in Stradey Park, beaten in Stradey and had 50 points put on us by the Ospreys last year.

Ospreys chances: Lost to Llanelli at home earlier this year with a weaker pack, lost to Leicester twice to years ago in the Heineken Cup and against them in the final last year, haven&#39;t faced the Wasps recently to tell.

Leicester: Guinness Premiership champs and EDF holders. Certain to qualify?

Wasps: European winners last year and are in brilliant form recently. Teh winz?

Anybody know how the pairings for the semi&#39;s works? We may see an all-Welsh final if Llanelli beat Saracens and don&#39;t face the Ospreys. Our chances are made easier by having the semi&#39;s in Cardiff :D

stormmaster1
27-11-07, 09:03 AM
Given Saracens recent performance in Biarritz, Llanelli beating them, scoring 5 tries and winning by 8 points or more may not be too easy. If Saracens hold firm at Stradey, even without a win i think they&#39;ll fancy their chances of ending their trophy drought.

Cymrurugbyfan
27-11-07, 03:02 PM
I saw highlights of the Biarritz match, while Saracens played well, Biarritz have a tendancy of playing an &#39;off&#39; game. Think back to Northampton last year, really, after beating Northampton home and away, they should&#39;ve blown them away in the quarters. But I&#39;m glad they won though, I hate Biarritz :P
I&#39;m not going to say we WILL definately beat them, but I&#39;ll say I&#39;m confident ;)

stormmaster1
28-11-07, 07:59 AM
I saw highlights of the Biarritz match, while Saracens played well, Biarritz have a tendancy of playing an &#39;off&#39; game. Think back to Northampton last year, really, after beating Northampton home and away, they should&#39;ve blown them away in the quarters. But I&#39;m glad they won though, I hate Biarritz :P
I&#39;m not going to say we WILL definately beat them, but I&#39;ll say I&#39;m confident ;) [/b]

Will you still be as confident if it&#39;s chucking it down with rain/sleet/snow and you need the 4 tries?

Sir Speedy
28-11-07, 03:31 PM
If you had phrased the question differently there could have be two logical answers, but when you ask me will I be as confident when the chances of scoring are slimmer, then the only feasible answer is &#39;no&#39;.
P.S. Is it forecast to be "chucking it down with rain/sleet/snow"?
Also, I am "Cymrurugbyfan", just a different account.

stormmaster1
29-11-07, 09:32 AM
If you had phrased the question differently there could have be two logical answers, but when you ask me will I be as confident when the chances of scoring are slimmer, then the only feasible answer is &#39;no&#39;.
P.S. Is it forecast to be "chucking it down with rain/sleet/snow"?
Also, I am "Cymrurugbyfan", just a different account. [/b]

I&#39;m split between who i want to win the match. As an Englishman it&#39;s always good to see our sides win in Wales, and it&#39;s also been good to watch Saracens go away from their previous policy of attempting to buy success and really build a quality team. That said having a 50/50 split English/Welsh in the semi&#39;s is great. Assuming Llanelli do get through, i think the competition could be seen as less mickey mouse as there will be the top two welsh sides of recent years and the top two English sides of recent years too.

Cymrurugbyfan
29-11-07, 02:34 PM
That said, Phil Davies and Simon Easterby will be popping some heads and busting some jaws if we lose in Stradey Park to Saracens, so for the safety of our very talented players, I hope we win. :(

We don&#39;t even need the 4 try bonus point to progress anyway, we&#39;ll be level on points then, and the winner of the match between the two teams will go to the semi&#39;s. So a win, while denying them a bonus point, will suffice.

stormmaster1
30-11-07, 09:17 AM
That said, Phil Davies and Simon Easterby will be popping some heads and busting some jaws if we lose in Stradey Park to Saracens, so for the safety of our very talented players, I hope we win. :(

We don&#39;t even need the 4 try bonus point to progress anyway, we&#39;ll be level on points then, and the winner of the match between the two teams will go to the semi&#39;s. So a win, while denying them a bonus point, will suffice.

[/b]

My mistake. For some reason i had it in my head that you needed 5 points. I think it could be one of the rounds more interesting matchups. I think regardless of who gets through, the semis will be looking very interesting.

On another mathc: do Falcons have a chance versus Wasps. I hope they win, because we always lose to wasps in knockouts.

Sir Speedy
30-11-07, 11:17 AM
Pool A

1 Newcastle Falcons 2 7
2 London Wasps 2 7
3 Gloucester Rugby 2 4
4 Dragons 2 4

Pool B

1 Leicester Tigers 2 6
2 Cardiff Blues 2 5
3 Sale Sharks 2 4
4 Bath Rugby 2 4

Pool C

1 Ospreys 2 10
2 Harlequins 2 5
3 Worcester Warriors 2 4
4 London Irish 2 1

Pool D

1 Saracens 2 10
2 Llanelli Scarlets 2 6
3 Bristol Rugby 2 4
4 Leeds Carnegie 2 1

These are the pools as they stand (Sorry for the bad layout, I copied and pasted it from the EDF Energy Cup Site. The first number after the team names is for how many matches played and the second number for how many points the team has).

Pool A: Looking at the EDF website, Wasps will play the Falcons at home with probably their best side out. So, to be fair, the Falcons will need to play the best game they&#39;ll play this season to deny the Wasps a semi-final spot.
Possible Winners: Newcastle and London Wasps.
My Winner: London Wasps

Pool C: The Ospreys need to beat the Harlequins away to hold onto first place in the pool. The Harlequins need to win, deny the O&#39;s a bonus point, and get 4 try bonus point themselves to reach the semi&#39;s. That would take some effort.
Possible Winners: Ospreys and Harlequins.
My Winner: Ospreys

Pool B: Cardiff play the impressive Bath at the Recreation Ground, Cardiff need to win and hope that Sale beat Leicester at Welford Road to advance. Sale can qualify if they beat Leicester while Cardiff lose to Bath. Bath could also qualify if Sale beat Leicester without a bonus point while they beat Cardiff with 4 tries. Leicester need a win against Sale, just that and they&#39;re through. Since Leicester are, well, Leicester, they should be the winners of this pool.
Possible Winners: All of them.
My Winner: Leicester

Pool D: Pool D is quite simple. If Llanelli beat Saracens at Stradey Park while denying them a losing bonus point, they advance. Although, Llanelli would need the 4 try bonus point if the Sarries collect the losing one. If the Saracens, sitting at the top of the table with 10 points, win the game, they&#39;ll advance.
Possible Winners: Saracens and Llanelli Scarlets.
My Winner: Llanelli Scarlets.

stormmaster1
30-11-07, 12:06 PM
Good analysis Speedy. completely agree.

Cymrurugbyfan
01-12-07, 03:09 PM
Congratulations Saracens, with the help of a 16th man (the ref) you are going to win the match. I hope that c**t get&#39;s an encounter with a group of Scarlet supporters.

SaintsFan_Webby
01-12-07, 03:15 PM
Congratulations Saracens, with the help of a 16th man (the ref) you are going to win the match. I hope that c**t get&#39;s an encounter with a group of Scarlet supporters. [/b]

Can&#39;t blame the referee for the Llanelli front-row folding time and time again.

Was a great match to watch as a neutral, especially considering how the conditions could potentially have hampered things. Some brilliant handly from both sides.

Prestwick
01-12-07, 03:19 PM
I&#39;m sorry, I can&#39;t stop laughing. We&#39;re so awful and yet we&#39;re in the semi-finals! :lol:

It is even more hilarious when the only decent player of the 2nd half on the Saracens side was Cencus Johnston who seemed to run rings around most of the Scarlet&#39;s backs with his amazing running and dazzling kick and chases. Not back for someone who is 17st.

EDIT: In fact this match makes an even bigger mockery of the EDF (paper) Cup when a team as disinterested and crap as Saracens STILL manages to beat a team virtually exploding with talent and passion like Scarlets. Its like one of those WWF wrestling matches where the hero spends 40 minutes kicking the **** out of the bad guy, only for the bad guy to win in the last moment.

I am the bad guy, so I&#39;m going to go lord it now in front of some booing Welsh kids.

Cymrurugbyfan
01-12-07, 03:25 PM
Sorry SaintsFan, I think I can blame the referee. The Saracens offended twice at that scrum: Raulini didn&#39;t put the ball in straight (and by Moore&#39;s reaction, it really wasn&#39;t straight, and that they had lost the ball, it was with Llanelli clearly yet the moron decided to give them a penalty try. Completely baffling to be honest.

SaintsFan_Webby
01-12-07, 03:28 PM
Not one professional scrum-half ever puts the ball in straight. It&#39;s shocking that 99% of the time it doesn&#39;t get pulled up, but Peel would have been doing exactly the same all match. The referee got feeding calls wrong for both sides by not giving any.

stormmaster1
02-12-07, 08:32 AM
Sorry SaintsFan, I think I can blame the referee. The Saracens offended twice at that scrum: Raulini didn&#39;t put the ball in straight (and by Moore&#39;s reaction, it really wasn&#39;t straight, and that they had lost the ball, it was with Llanelli clearly yet the moron decided to give them a penalty try. Completely baffling to be honest.

[/b]

It&#39;s more difficult to control the ball when the opposition loosehead folds in the scrum. I reckon it was a 50:0 decision. it went against you, but things do tend to when your scrum goes backwards that quickly.

Cymrurugbyfan
02-12-07, 02:56 PM
Well, we need to get some decent forwards. Llanelli have some of the best backs in Europe, yet our forwards aren&#39;t giving them a good enough platform.
Hopefully after we sell Stradey and after the building of the new stadium we&#39;ll have enough money to buy some decent forwards. Deacon Manu? ....

At the moment, the London Wasps, Leicester and Saracens are through. And the Ospreys are going through if the score stays 3 - 6 in their favour.
Although they have THREE people sin-binned, so if the Harlequins don&#39;t get at least two or three tries here then the Ospreys can call themselves very lucky.

stormmaster1
03-12-07, 07:55 AM
Well, we need to get some decent forwards. Llanelli have some of the best backs in Europe, yet our forwards aren&#39;t giving them a good enough platform.
Hopefully after we sell Stradey and after the building of the new stadium we&#39;ll have enough money to buy some decent forwards. Deacon Manu? ....

[/b]

Got to agree. their back play in appalling conditions was brilliant at times. the tries were very well taken, but if you are going to struggle at scrum time it will cost you, especially in poor conditions. I also thought that their defence needs to get more physical.

Cymrurugbyfan
03-12-07, 12:29 PM
Semi Finals:

Leicester Tigers v London Wasps

Ospreys v Saracens.

So...it&#39;ll be an Ospreys v Tigers final again? I wouldn&#39;t fancy picking Wasps or Tigers in their game, that should be quite good.

Prestwick
03-12-07, 01:11 PM
Semi Finals:

Ospreys v Saracens.

So...it&#39;ll be an Ospreys v Tigers final again? I wouldn&#39;t fancy picking Wasps or Tigers in their game, that should be quite good.
[/b]

I don&#39;t know, the Hairsprays wern&#39;t exactly that hot against &#39;Quins yesterday. The Gaffer (Alan Gaffney) really picked a team that could just about handle Scarlets and almost got his fingers burned for it...not that I&#39;d know considering that the BBC coverage barely acknowledged that there was another team at Stradley Park on Saturday afternoon other than Scarlets. However, for the Semi-Final I think he might just name his strongest side. It all depends on how well Saracens do in the HEC. If we&#39;re through home & dry to the knock outs then say bye bye to any chance of a serious squad to play the Hairsprays in April.

I&#39;m going to go out on a limb and say that its going to be a Tigers - Saracens final, but only if Gordon Ross & Glenn Jackson have their kicking boots on and Census Johnston plays at center. The way he destroyed the Scarlet&#39;s backline was beautiful :lol:

Speaking of the "brilliant" back play, I would say that most of the time Scarlets were laterally passing to nowhere and Saracens were too busy digging their way to China. There were some alright tries but each try that the Scarlets scored could have easily have been fouled up by sloppy play by thheir backs!

stormmaster1
03-12-07, 01:55 PM
<div class='quotemain'>
Semi Finals:

Ospreys v Saracens.

[/b]

I don&#39;t know, the Hairsprays wern&#39;t exactly that hot against &#39;Quins yesterday. The Gaffer (Alan Gaffney) really picked a team that could just about handle Scarlets and almost got his fingers burned for it...not that I&#39;d know considering that the BBC coverage barely acknowledged that there was another team at Stradley Park on Saturday afternoon other than Scarlets. However, for the Semi-Final I think he might just name his strongest side. It all depends on how well Saracens do in the HEC. If we&#39;re through home & dry to the knock outs then say bye bye to any chance of a serious squad to play the Hairsprays in April.

I&#39;m going to go out on a limb and say that its going to be a Tigers - Saracens final, but only if Gordon Ross & Glenn Jackson have their kicking boots on and Census Johnston plays at center. The way he destroyed the Scarlet&#39;s backline was beautiful :lol:

Speaking of the "brilliant" back play, I would say that most of the time Scarlets were laterally passing to nowhere and Saracens were too busy digging their way to China. There were some alright tries but each try that the Scarlets scored could have easily have been fouled up by sloppy play by thheir backs! [/b][/quote]

I&#39;ve never seen coverage on the BBC that didn&#39;t heavily favour the Welsh sides over the English. seems to be the way it is.I can&#39;t believe its Tigers v Wasps AGAIN. We always beat them untill it&#39;s a knockout competition.

loratadine
03-12-07, 02:03 PM
the bbc just support entertaining rugby ;)

Bullitt
03-12-07, 02:10 PM
The BBC couldn&#39;t care less about rugby, there far more interested in sports with stupid shaped balls.

RC
23-12-07, 12:49 AM
Ospreys should breeze through to the final.

Prestwick
23-12-07, 11:57 AM
the bbc just support entertaining rugby ;) [/b]

Indeed, the way that the BBC just couldn&#39;t stop going on about how Census Johnston cut to ribbons the Scarlets back line prooves this! :lol:

Wake up sunshine, the BBC are playing you and the Welsh nation for fools. Mark my words, the luvvies at Television Center HQ in London would like nothing better than to bin Scrum V and the Magners League coverage and spend the money on Jonothan Ross or Match of the Day.

Ospreys should breeze through to the final. [/b]

Not likely Matt, Ospreys are going to have a nasty surprise when they arrive at the Millenium Stadium.....

...because Chris Chesney will have taken a huge stinking dump in the toilets of the Ospreys changing room beforehand :D