PDA

View Full Version : The Big Prediction Poll

feicarsinn
29-10-07, 12:43 PM
ok so at the dawn of another EC campaign who really can lift that trophey in 9 games time. no bias if possible

feicarsinn
29-10-07, 12:55 PM
i voted stade btw unbeliveable talent in that squad such as hernandez, corleto, both bergamascos, parisse, simon taylor, beauxis, dominici, and so on..

Caledfwlch
29-10-07, 02:53 PM
NORTHAMPTON SAINTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SaintsFan_Webby
29-10-07, 02:58 PM
NORTHAMPTON SAINTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! [/b]

Wishful thinking of the highest order.

Would you like it explaining why I would bet my life on us not winning it this year, or would you just like to go away and do some research?

Caledfwlch
29-10-07, 03:09 PM
Of course I know its wishful thinking. But no harm hoping.

SaintsFan_Webby
29-10-07, 03:37 PM
Of course I know its wishful thinking. But no harm hoping. [/b]

I still don't think you get it, but I'm quite amused at the idea so I'll hold off explaining why we definately won't win.

SecondRow04
29-10-07, 04:59 PM
i went for ospreys, they also have a pretty decent squad, looked impressive in there first round edf cup match so ill back them lol

Get In Lads!
03-11-07, 01:29 AM
I quite fancy Gloucester, not sure why, just a hunch.

My hopes for the Scottish teams certainly isn't high...

nam97
03-11-07, 04:12 AM
Toulouse. With Dusautoir, Nyanga, Ellisalde, Kelleher, Jauzion, Fritz, Heymans, Clerc, Poitrenaud to name the big guns, they have an awesome team and a history of performing well. Hard to go by them, even if they have a few holes here and there (esp. at 1st5/8). Don't really care though, as long as it's not an English or Irish team.

Oh yeah, and to whomever it may concern... Northampton will NOT be taking part in this tournament this year sadly, hence wishful thinking doesn't really count.

feicarsinn
04-11-07, 07:44 PM
HEY WHATS WRONG WITH THE IRISH

Cymrurugbyfan
04-11-07, 08:20 PM
Is it possible for someone to vote for the same team twice? Or are there really that many deluded people who think the Ospreys can win? :P

ecks tartan army
04-11-07, 08:21 PM
voted Ospreys as they looked great today in their EDF match. hopefully their early-season jitters are behind them and we can see a Celtic side lift the cup again.

as for scottish sides, i can see (ok, i hope) Glasgow can spring a surprise - possibly scraping through as best runners up? (we should have had Saracens twice down there last season!)

RC
04-11-07, 08:25 PM
I voted Ospreys because i honestly believe we have the team capable of putting together such a campaign.

However, whoever else (non-osprey supporting) that voted O's has some serious faith in us considering we've never reached QF's.
But at home we are going to be immensely strong. I mean, we've only lost once at home since May '06.

An Tarbh
04-11-07, 08:37 PM
HEY WHATS WRONG WITH THE IRISH
[/b]

Well the fact that Leinster and Munster won't come out of their pools and Ulster's form has sunk to a new low I think that says what's wrong with the Irish.

Both Munster have Leinster have the potential to get out of their group and go far in the tournament but there's a big difference between potential and application.

Yes Munster have been there and got the t-shirt but last year showed the hunger wasn't quite there, maybe such a failure will spur them on to better things this year and maybe ROG and POC will realise they're playing in red and put in the performances that they don't seem to be capable of when wearing green and the same can be said for Leinster, if the pack can secure 40% of the ball then the backs can do the rest. There's too many ifs regarding both these teams for them to be considered serious contenders.

No need to shout btw.

stormmaster1
05-11-07, 09:01 AM
gotta go with a side that has some big game mentality and winning experience on big occaisions. I think that composure and mentality will let down the strong campaigns from the welsh regions and gloucester. The Irish aren't looking too strong so i'd have to go for the french, or wasps or tigers. I'd hate to jinx my own team or be biased so i'll go for Stade. they have enough to win it.

Gavin
06-11-07, 04:37 PM
I voted for Munster. They may not be one of the best four sides in the Heineken Cup but they always are up there in the end. With the horrible World Cup for Ireland I hope the Irish players, especially Ronan O'Gara, David Wallace and Paul O'Connell will stand up and be counted - to be fair all the Irish players need to stand up!

We have an averagely good backline this year with experience running from 1 to 22.

Incredible Schalk
11-11-07, 09:50 AM
I quite fancy Gloucester, not sure why, just a hunch.

My hopes for the Scottish teams certainly isn't high...
[/b]

After the way the player against Ulster this could be an excellent prediction :cheers:

An Tarbh
11-11-07, 10:04 AM
Ulster's performance and league position needs to be taken into account though, still a more than decent bet but no point on getting carried away by 1 result, Ravenhill is no longer the fortress it once was.

feicarsinn
11-11-07, 08:25 PM
ulster are at the moment, probably the worst irish province. they've been genuinley awful of late propping up the ML and just ****e in general

scuubasteve
13-11-07, 12:49 AM
I gave Clermont the nod.

These guys have got an awesome coaching team and some great off-season signings. I think they'll be a big improvement from last season (which wasn't so bad anyway!). I also think they've got a personal point to prove in many ways, as Stade Francais and Stade Toulouse both get the wraps when it comes to French super clubs. It's a bit of a hunch, but I'd like to see some fresh jersey colours come finals time.

After week one though, there's more proof that it's gunna be a cracker of a comp! Have to say Gloucester opening 25mins was some absolutely sexual rugby !!

stormmaster1
13-11-07, 08:39 AM
I gave Clermont the nod.

These guys have got an awesome coaching team and some great off-season signings. I think they'll be a big improvement from last season (which wasn't so bad anyway!). I also think they've got a personal point to prove in many ways, as Stade Francais and Stade Toulouse both get the wraps when it comes to French super clubs. It's a bit of a hunch, but I'd like to see some fresh jersey colours come finals time.

After week one though, there's more proof that it's gunna be a cracker of a comp! Have to say Gloucester opening 25mins was some absolutely sexual rugby !! [/b]

To really fancy Glos for the cup i'd have to see them play great against a top pack. It's much easier to play sexy rugby when the forwards are on top.

lestat
17-11-07, 12:27 PM
For the people who clicked "other" what teams do you think will win it this year

Crackdown
18-11-07, 11:45 PM
Bristol! -_-

eoino
25-11-07, 09:29 PM
Munster, waow you can never predict them... If they realy realy want to lift the cup, they defo will.

totem
28-11-07, 03:48 PM
Stade de France for me

stormmaster1
30-11-07, 09:29 AM
Munster, waow you can never predict them... If they realy realy want to lift the cup, they defo will. [/b]

they really really want it every year. twice they've been the best side in Europe, but O'Gara failed them at the first attempt. I'm unsure whether they've got the class to win it this year. we will see.

Jaime
15-12-07, 06:21 PM
Waspsss

shtove
15-12-07, 07:09 PM
Wasps buggered up both their Clermont matches - looks like a talented backline has been smoking something odd and giving away points just when they can't afford to. Not a HEC winning mentality. Clermont may take the whole competition, but they'll have to do serious damage to Munster, which is iffy.

I guess a French team is favourite, but which one?

Cardiff may have what it takes.

So I'll vote for ... Munster.

mackers
16-12-07, 02:39 PM
i'd love to see london irish get into the final if they keep up the standard they were playing at before yesterday then we could do it

otherwise toulouse ftw (y)

Canuck-Backrow
23-12-07, 04:12 AM
Who'd have thought Gloucester would do so well? Surely they are a contender for the cup now

danny
23-12-07, 11:08 AM
Who'd have thought Gloucester would do so well? Surely they are a contender for the cup now
[/b]

We are in a great position at the moment and have a very talented side and squad but we will only know when we play one of the big boys (Clermont, Toulouse etc) :)

Sir Speedy
24-12-07, 11:01 AM
Since Stade have literally bombed out of the tournament, it's Toulouse for me. Or Cardiff, I'd like to see them make the final!

stormmaster1
24-12-07, 12:03 PM
Since Stade have literally bombed out of the tournament, it's Toulouse for me. Or Cardiff, I'd like to see them make the final! [/b]

Toulouse look good imo. they're cantering at the moment. No big perfromance as yet.

Incredible Schalk
24-12-07, 06:41 PM
Probably at the moment its ..

1-Toulouse
2-Gloucester
3-Wasps- but its hardly guranteed they will get through in the "group of death"

danny
24-12-07, 07:18 PM
its all about a home draw in the Qs. There are never many away wins in the knockout stages so get a home draw and you are nearly there at the holy grail. To be honest I just cant see Gloucester winning the cup this year. We have got to be the biggest chokers in rugby as we are great in all the rounds exept the finals.

Incredible Schalk
24-12-07, 08:03 PM
its all about a home draw in the Qs. There are never many away wins in the knockout stages so get a home draw and you are nearly there at the holy grail. To be honest I just cant see Gloucester winning the cup this year. We have got to be the biggest chokers in rugby as we are great in all the rounds exept the finals.
[/b]

Good point, was it 5 years ago they finished top of the Premiership by a country mile but lost to Wasps in the final?! anyway that was a long time ago, they are an entertaining side but when they come up against the more controlling sides with bigger packs they might struggle. Until then they are looking good.

danny
24-12-07, 09:06 PM
<div class='quotemain'>
[/b]

Good point, was it 5 years ago they finished top of the Premiership by a country mile but lost to Wasps in the final?! anyway that was a long time ago, they are an entertaining side but when they come up against the more controlling sides with bigger packs they might struggle. Until then they are looking good.
[/b][/quote]

If anyone can f*** it up its Gloucester. The only time we have performed in a final in the last twenty years was against Northampton in the League cup and they are bigger under achievers than us. Talent wise we are as good as anyone. Mentally I reserve judgement, unfortunatly.

grievzy
24-12-07, 09:26 PM
I think we&#39;re forgetting saracens.

Top of their hec group, semi&#39;s of anglo-welsh and currently sitting in 3rd place in premiership.

I reckon they have a chance of at least the semi&#39;s, maybe even final.

Sir Speedy
25-12-07, 07:16 PM
<div class='quotemain'> Since Stade have literally bombed out of the tournament, it&#39;s Toulouse for me. Or Cardiff, I&#39;d like to see them make the final! [/b]

Toulouse look good imo. they&#39;re cantering at the moment. No big perfromance as yet.
[/b][/quote]
I think the job they did over Leinster could be considered &#39;impressive&#39; after that team shocked Leicester the week before. To get the losing BP against Leicester at Welford Road isn&#39;t an easy thing to do, and they beat them in terms of points in their two games 5 - 4. The game against Leinster in Ireland could define Toulouse&#39;s season in Europe, and I think Toulouse will win, unless Leinster show up on the day.

jaydoss
30-12-07, 11:35 AM
Toulouse will win again an english team like the wasps! :rahh: :rahh:

Incredible Schalk
03-01-08, 09:16 AM
I think we&#39;re forgetting saracens.

Top of their hec group, semi&#39;s of anglo-welsh and currently sitting in 3rd place in premiership.

I reckon they have a chance of at least the semi&#39;s, maybe even final.
[/b]

Not so sure about Saracens. Watched them against Newcastle, who are hardly a great side and they were definetely second best to the Falcons. They should advance but i dont think they can win it.

YoNeL
07-01-08, 07:29 PM
biarritz

Dozzy_X
07-01-08, 11:17 PM
toulouse will be tough to stop when on form.

D.Carter
12-01-08, 03:45 PM
for me osprey have a nice team with a good game they have their luck

pikedoo
20-01-08, 07:23 PM
toulouse will win...they did great performances so far this season and have a great team with many different options to react to the other teams

RC
20-01-08, 08:21 PM
Does that loss to endinburgh count as one of those great performances?

Sir Speedy
21-01-08, 08:04 AM
Toulouse haven&#39;t lost to Edinburgh this year. They beat them twice in Europe.

An Tarbh
21-01-08, 03:51 PM
well they&#39;ve been poor away from home, although their excuse about the young scientists being a bit rowdy in Dublin and disturbing them was entirely justified :wacko:

so they&#39;ll be hoping the draw is kind to them tomorrow.

RC
21-01-08, 11:49 PM
Toulouse haven&#39;t lost to Edinburgh this year. They beat them twice in Europe. [/b]

Quite right, there.
They were just PERFORMING terribly.

Matt123
22-01-08, 07:59 PM
I think Munster will have too much nous about them for every side bar possibly Toulouse. They can always compete up front and now with Howlett, Mafi, Tipoki etc. they have a very good back line too. While I would love to see Saracens win it, and I think they will get to the semis, I just think they lack the experience to go and win it.

Munster or Toulouse.

stormmaster1
23-01-08, 09:47 AM
I think Munster will have too much nous about them for every side bar possibly Toulouse. They can always compete up front and now with Howlett, Mafi, Tipoki etc. they have a very good back line too. While I would love to see Saracens win it, and I think they will get to the semis, I just think they lack the experience to go and win it.

Munster or Toulouse. [/b]

But Munster look very beatable, especially by Glos or Ospreys on a fast dry pitch.

An Tarbh
23-01-08, 12:11 PM
Munster&#39;s record in England is poor to say the least, Leicester aside, so they&#39;ll hardly be going to Kingsholm full of confidence, where they&#39;ve lost twice in recent seasons and it has to be remembered as well they&#39;ve lost both their proper away games so far so definitely an uphill task for Munster.

Gloucester are favourites but the one thing Munster will take is that they seem to be ****ting it, Dean Ryan looked gutted in his interview when he knew he&#39;d gotten Munster. The one thing you can never afford to do with Munster is give them any psychological edge.

Incredible Schalk
23-01-08, 12:41 PM
<div class='quotemain'> Toulouse haven&#39;t lost to Edinburgh this year. They beat them twice in Europe. [/b]

Quite right, there.
They were just PERFORMING terribly.
[/b][/quote]

It might have seemed it by as we have seen this year at Murrayfield Edinburgh are very tough to beat as Leicester and Leinster have found out to their cost. So to win in Edinburgh was a good result and there performance last weekend was excellent.

Charles
04-02-08, 05:43 PM
Toulouse all the way, except if they have more key players out injured. They have the squad , the flair and the will to go through steamrolling any side. But there&#39;s a lot of rugby to play till the QF so (Top14 and 6N)...

stormmaster1
05-02-08, 10:58 AM
Toulouse all the way, except if they have more key players out injured. They have the squad , the flair and the will to go through steamrolling any side. But there&#39;s a lot of rugby to play till the QF so (Top14 and 6N)... [/b]

Toulouse are the best team left in the competition, but that doesn&#39;t mean they&#39;ll win.

Charles
05-02-08, 11:28 AM
Yep, that doesn&#39;t.

*fingers crossed*

An Tarbh
08-02-08, 04:10 PM
well they&#39;ll certainly come through the quarter final no bother but if it&#39;s an away tie against Perpignan that won&#39;t be the easiest tie for them even though they&#39;d be expected to get the win.

spampy
10-02-08, 03:29 PM
I think that this year Toulouse will win the HC....

David Gilmour
26-02-08, 07:44 AM
Ospreys have a chance, probably;)

dullonien
26-02-08, 08:26 AM
If Wales continue winning, I wouldn&#39;t bet against the Ospreys lifting the Heineken cup considering the amount of Welsh players they have, their confidence will the sky high! There&#39;s also the added advantage of if they win their quarter final, they&#39;ll be playing in Wales for the final two games.

Sir Speedy
29-02-08, 05:02 PM
Their biggest challenge will come after the quarter finals. Saracens have been really crap recently, so I can see the O&#39;s walking over them in the EDF and Heineken Cup.

erwanseb
03-03-08, 01:25 PM
Toulouse is really coming good this year, having removed the weaknesses of the past 3 years.

The forward won&#39;t be bullied anymore and they have a lot more depth at the back.

drannoc
03-03-08, 05:28 PM
toulouse have a very good roster for hoping win the cup this year . Hope the 6 nation won&#39;t injured players

Pericle
04-03-08, 01:40 PM
tolouse has the best roster, but as all french teams they could made a wrong match against every team.
the surprise:
Welsh&#39;s future 6N champions of Ospreys could make an extraordinary double.

1 Tolouse
2 Ospreys
3 Munster
4 Gloucester
5 Saracens
6 Perpignan
7 Cardiff Blues
8 london Irish

iank36
04-03-08, 07:57 PM
QF

London Irish v Perpignan
I&#39;d say Irish in this one, however it will be very close, and is a tough call.

Gloucester Rugby v Munster
Again, tough call but even I&#39;d say Gloucester. Munster aren&#39;t as formidable away (two of three away games lost...) whereas Gloucester tend to be fairly solid at home.

Saracens v Ospreys
The Ospreys for this one I&#39;d say. Sarries won their group, but had probably the easiest group.

Toulouse v Cardiff Blues
Toulouse have performed at home this year and I think would be too strong for Cardiff

SF

London Irish v Toulouse
I&#39;d have to say Toulouse here, I think they&#39;ll be too good for Irish.

Ospreys v Gloucester
I&#39;d go for Gloucester repeating their win in Wales before.

F
Toulouse v Gloucester
I think it&#39;s certainly the case that Toulouse can beat Gloucester, however whether they will on the day or not...and I think Gloucester will come through to win this.

I look forward to seeing just how wrong it&#39;s possible to be!

dullonien
29-03-08, 12:28 AM
I&#39;m honestly struggling to see the Ospreys losing. They are looking impressively formidable. They beat Ulster by almost 30 today, without playing all that well. They can turn it on at any point, they can bully teams in both attack and deffence, and in Shane Williams, they have probably the best winger in the world atm (scored another 2 tonight).

Their confidence will be sky high, espcially aginst Saracens, after hammering them in the EDF. Then after that, it&#39;ll be Millenium stadium all the way, with all of Wales behind them.

Edit. Hopes I haven&#39;t jinxed it.

RC
29-03-08, 09:34 PM
Dullonien, you haven&#39;t jinxed us against Sarries that&#39;s for sure.
It&#39;s the semi&#39;s that might be difficult.
But at least we can sit back and relax as Farrell fumbles around with the ball getting knocked over by henson and parker; Jackson gets taught a lesson in playing fly half by Hooky; and Brent Russell continually runs without any clue of where he&#39;s going before he knocks the ball on.
:P

Incredible Schalk
03-04-08, 07:10 AM
Dont get to smug, Saracens away will be tough and there are still several other gifted teams in the competition after that. Tolouse, the favourites,Perpignan,London Irish and Munster all have a great chance to win it. Although granted Sarries have been poor recently, they scored 66 points at the weekend so we&#39;ll see.

RC
03-04-08, 09:33 PM
Dont get to smug, Saracens away will be tough and there are still several other gifted teams in the competition after that...Although granted Sarries have been poor recently, they scored 66 points at the weekend so we&#39;ll see. [/b]

Ok, so people seem to have problem tasting this pinch of salt i&#39;m handing out...even when i throw in an obvious smiley face.

Ok from now on i&#39;m gonna have a big "TONGUE IN CHEEK" warning so all those who feel threatened by my remarks of Ospreys&#39; undoubted superiority can breathe at least a little sigh of relief.
<_<

dullonien
04-04-08, 09:03 AM
He might of been commenting on my post RC. And he&#39;s right if he was, I posted that in a moment of madness. I am worried, not too much about Sarries, but one of Gloucester, Munster, Tolouse always hold huge threat. But I do believe Ospreys are the best team in Europe atm, and if they play to their potential, will be very hard to beat.

RC
04-04-08, 06:42 PM
Ah, well if he was commenting on your post i apologise.

M Two One
05-04-08, 08:03 PM
Some disappointing disrespectful displays by a few London Irish players against Perpignan today.

peppers07
05-04-08, 08:33 PM
i cant predict it all i know is it wont be Saracens or Cardiff

Sir Speedy
06-04-08, 07:18 PM
^^ - Aharharhar.