PDA

View Full Version : All Blacks look for new coach

esoj
15-11-07, 04:51 AM
well today the nzrfu announced that the ab's top job is now seeking applicants. robbie deans must be a good chance but who else is in with a shot? who would you guys like to see steer the abs over the next few years.

http://tvnz.co.nz/view/page/536641/1448674

O'Rothlain
15-11-07, 01:20 PM
I hear, on good word, that Graham Henry isn't doing anything at the moment. Maybe you guys should give him a call. I believe he took his last team to all new heights in rugby.

shtove
15-11-07, 06:44 PM
Bernard Laporte? You'd only have to match a government pension to bring him to the Dark Side.

danny
15-11-07, 06:46 PM
Big mistake getting rid of Henry. Has to be Deans.

scuubasteve
15-11-07, 07:09 PM
It'll be Deans, with Colin Cooper as Forwards coach.

The NZRU has never re-appointed a coach, regardless of their record.

The only reason they haven't just given the reins over to Deans is because they (the NZRU board) would basically be admitting they were equally to blame for allowing the various costly adventures of the Henry administration.

In saying that, if they were to stick with the current coaching panel it wouldn't bother me one bit. They're a well balanced and astute panel who could get more still out of the AB's.

Either way NZ is in for a strong 4 years of coaching until 2011.

fcukernaut
15-11-07, 07:22 PM
Bernard Laporte? You'd only have to match a government pension to bring him to the Dark Side. [/b]

With his coaching record he would have gotten axed a long time ago if he were head of the AB's. I don't think he's a very good coach to be honest. And he creeps me out.

Ripper
15-11-07, 09:33 PM
Bernard Laporte? You'd only have to match a government pension to bring him to the Dark Side. [/b]

http://www.digitalsportsmania.com/forums/images/smilies/hang.gif yourself

mimic
15-11-07, 10:52 PM
Deans, head coach and backs coach.
Hansen, forwards coach.
Henry, technical advisor.
Mike Cron, scrum doctor.
Fitzy, team manager.

:]

I hear, on good word, that Graham Henry isn't doing anything at the moment. Maybe you guys should give him a call. I believe he took his last team to all new heights in rugby. [/b]

Maybe he should go coach Ireland. Take them to all new heights

..::ERIC::..
16-11-07, 12:02 AM
We should never have fired Mitchell.

diehardkiwi07
16-11-07, 12:24 AM
Now days Graham Henry has the better record then any rugby coach world wide

Brodizzle
16-11-07, 12:29 AM
We should never have fired Mitchell.
[/b]
Your loss, our gain :P

I think the NZRU should take a stand and not fire thier coach after they lose a world cup, look at Henrys record and you will see he is a good coach, I think that Rugby is becoming a little like football where the blame is always placed on the coach and no the players....the coaching tactics in the quarters were fine, it's just that the on field leadership and ability to change to circumstances wasn't there...hell, if a coach wasn't fired perhaps that would halt the vicious cycle and make the pressure lessen come world cup as they know thier jobs aren't neccesarily on the line..

..::ERIC::..
16-11-07, 03:55 AM
Well said. But the NZ fans are far too fickle for that plan. I mean Mitchell was an amazing coach, he just couldn't communicate with the media very well and came off looking like an dope to the public and hence got the ax. Henry again is an amazing coach but as far as the NZRFU is concerned big heads have to roll to keep the public happy.

Caledfwlch
16-11-07, 03:46 PM
As far as I'm concerned, I've never seen a man with such a perpetual scowl on his face i.e. Graham Henry. I have never once seen the man having an au naturale simle on his face. Its like it pains him to do anything other than that scowl.

fcukernaut
16-11-07, 06:44 PM
Well said. But the NZ fans are far too fickle for that plan. I mean Mitchell was an amazing coach, he just couldn't communicate with the media very well and came off looking like an dope to the public and hence got the ax. Henry again is an amazing coach but as far as the NZRFU is concerned big heads have to roll to keep the public happy. [/b]

Except for poor selection policies and his teams continually refusing to play defence properly.

diehardkiwi07
17-11-07, 04:27 AM
Well said. But the NZ fans are far too fickle for that plan. I mean Mitchell was an amazing coach,[/b]

This same coach your talking about ruined 3 top NZ players career's because of his aragance... Not in a million year's would Mitchell (dick head) ever coach the All Blacks again. He is an absolute ARSE!!!

Dmx#1
17-11-07, 04:41 AM
<div class='quotemain'>
Well said. But the NZ fans are far too fickle for that plan. I mean Mitchell was an amazing coach,[/b]

This same coach your talking about ruined 3 top NZ players career&#39;s because of his aragance... Not in a million year&#39;s would Mitchell (dick head) ever coach the All Blacks again. He is an absolute ARSE!!!
[/b][/quote]

For once (and probably the last time) i agree with you diehardkiwi07. Mitchell is a asshole. I wish Graham Henry would come back, I can&#39;t see the AB&#39;s having the same form (prior to rwc) under anyone else.

Hamster
17-11-07, 05:46 AM
Making a very big mistake getting rid of Henry. He&#39;s a very good coach, one loss which due to controversial circumstances (not his fault they lost and suss reffing). Keep him again and they&#39;ll win the next wc. They NZ team he coached were the best ever and.. so freakin good they shouldve won 2007 wc.

Henry doesn&#39;t deserve to be sacked.

nik
18-11-07, 12:54 AM
IMO the coach is responsible for choosing what style rugby his team plays. Henry and Co introduced an all out attacking/expansive style of play which the ABs have playing for the past 4 years.
Now my question is, why did the ABs completely change their style of play in the 2nd half of the quarter-final from what they have been playing over the last 4 years? Did they not have belief or faith on their own attack? They could not adjust to different situations when they were on the back foot.
You can&#39;t blame the ref. Yes the ref made a couple of errors, but the ABs made more errors.

Looking at 2004, 2005 and 2006, the ABs played most of their best rugby at the end of the year tours. The players had been through entire season of rugby, Super 12/14, tri nations, npc and yet play their best at the end of the year. This year the AB players probably only played half the amount of games then previous years. Reconditioning just ruined the players routine since they began their professional AB careers.

Prestwick
18-11-07, 01:10 AM
I think they should keep Graham Henry on. Me, Webby and IBB were chatting about this and we all agree that he&#39;s got the hunger for another four years. Fair enough he might be a little bit old by then but Bobby Robson is 74 and he&#39;s only just considering retiring from coaching in football. My opinion, the NZRFU should have faith in Henry much like how the RFU had faith in Sir Clive Woodward. Who knows, maybe we&#39;ll be calling him "Sir Graham" in four years time? If he isn&#39;t re-hired, we might never know :(

What would happen to anyone else in or outside of New Zealand who would want the job if Graham Henry was re-hired. Would there be a fall out with potential coaches moving to coach teams abroad or what?

I Bleed Black
18-11-07, 03:54 PM
I think they should keep Graham Henry on. Me, Webby and IBB were chatting about this and we all agree that he&#39;s got the hunger for another four years. Fair enough he might be a little bit old by then but Bobby Robson is 74 and he&#39;s only just considering retiring from coaching in football. My opinion, the NZRFU should have faith in Henry much like how the RFU had faith in Sir Clive Woodward. Who knows, maybe we&#39;ll be calling him "Sir Graham" in four years time? If he isn&#39;t re-hired, we might never know :(

What would happen to anyone else in or outside of New Zealand who would want the job if Graham Henry was re-hired. Would there be a fall out with potential coaches moving to coach teams abroad or what?
[/b]

Good question.... If Graham stays put (and I hope he does) the 3 future coaches of the All Blacks after Henry (in probable order) may be something like Deans, Gatland and then Pat Lam.

Now Deans may get the pip and head overseas, although most intl coaching spots are now filled. But my point is that the allure of the ABs coaching position is such that I believe that always accept the job when offered later in the future. I just hope the NZRFU handles the whole affair with integrity so that whoever dips out this time doesnt end up completely disillusioned in NZ Rugby.

Kind of nice to know we also have depth in our coaching stocks!

Prestwick
18-11-07, 04:38 PM
Now I remember! So who are Deans and Pat Lam? Who have they coached and what are their track records?

fcukernaut
18-11-07, 06:07 PM
Now I remember! So who are Deans and Pat Lam? Who have they coached and what are their track records? [/b]

Pat Lam is a relative nobody in terms of coaching experience. He just took a very good Auckland squad to an undefeated NPC season. He has already come out and said he doesn&#39;t want the job now because he doesn&#39;t have enough experience. He&#39;s looking for a Super 14 gig right now but in the future could certainly get a look.

Robbie Deans is the genius being the Red & Black machine. What&#39;s he have now 6 Super 14 titles? He&#39;s one of the best domestic coaches on the planet. He&#39;s also very good at player development. Often times he takes players who were outcasts in other teams and turns them into All Blacks. Apparently he is also an insider on the new Stellenbosh laws, which could be a serious advantage should they find their way into the international fray. He was also John Mitchell&#39;s assistant coach during the 2003 RWC, so he has some experience as to what it takes to win.

Ripper
20-11-07, 11:53 PM
Robbie Deans is a no-no in my books, we would just end up like we did in 2002 with the Crusaders team in Black.

9. Elis 10. Carter 11. Rocokoko 12. Brett 13. Laulala 14. Hamilton 15. Panadol

Would be his first choice backline, bank on it. So&#39;alilio may as well go to France now because Tuialili would be starting at 8. This is the same guy who picked Ben Blair ahead of Christan Cullen and get&#39;s into little ego cockfights with players.

Pat Lam is just as retarded. Henry at the moment is the only choice IMO - No one else is experienced enough and Deans is apparently hated by the NZRFU (Which is good)

I hear, on good word, that Graham Henry isn&#39;t doing anything at the moment. Maybe you guys should give him a call. I believe he took his last team to all new heights in rugby.[/b]

Who knows, he could take Ireland to the Quarter Finals, isn&#39;t that seen as the holy grail of Rugby on the Emerald Isle?

esoj
27-11-07, 06:45 AM
and then there were 4

http://tvnz.co.nz/view/page/1320238/1464728

The big four have been confirmed- well the big two really- and already prominent rugby people are taking sides.

Robbie Deans and Graham Henry, along with Colin Cooper and Ian Foster, have been advised their applications for the post of All Black coach will be taken a step further. They will be interviewed for the hottest sports job in New Zealand.

sambãd5
27-11-07, 09:46 AM
imo, henry is a must. hes got a record of 42-6 or something. i mean come on, give the dog a bone. hes gotten blamed for all the wrong reasons. yes i can say, that if we had of had beaten the french, we wouldnt have won against england or south africa. they were 2 very good teams. but people said, reconditioning this and that.... rotation this that, and all the rest of it. imo if graham realised that a carter mcallister 10-12 would have been ideal (which it turned out to be) and given these guys more time togeather, that would have been more successful. he knows this. however if it had have been deans, it would have been carter and maguer.

and as ripper said. hamilton, ralph and tuialili will be licking there chops at this. they clearly arnt and i really belive that it will be a heavy cantab based all blacks side if he does make it. and as mitchel (who was one of our worst coaches) with DEANS at his side had a big cantab based side, which DIDNT work. i mean, no cullen? the way he played ma&#39;a and tana.

ive given up on the allblacks in world cups, if deans is coach, they wont even be worth following.

however if i was henry, i wouldnt have even gone for the coaching position. i would have been too ****ty at the nzrfu about how hes been slagged of by them. sadly, even though there is a huge public outcry for henry to stay, i think deans has already got his new all blacks coaching jersy on.

O'Rothlain
27-11-07, 02:29 PM
and then there were 4

The big four have been confirmed- well the big two really- and already prominent rugby people are taking sides.

Robbie Deans and Graham Henry, along with Colin Cooper and Ian Foster, have been advised their applications for the post of All Black coach will be taken a step further. They will be interviewed for the hottest sports job in New Zealand.

[/b]
Wait, so even though they fired Henry, they are actually reconsidering?

redunderthebed
27-11-07, 03:19 PM
<div class='quotemain'> and then there were 4

[/b]
[/b][/quote]

My sentiment exactly oh well they will eventually sort this out. <_<

esoj
28-11-07, 05:20 AM

[/b]
[/b][/quote]

this is where it gets a bit grey. they allowed him to reapply so they obviously think he is still capable of the job but the nzrfu also wanted to see other applicants for the job,so in a way he was fired but not completely.

in my opinion it will be a shootout between deans and henry for the job. henry has the record of success but also a world cup failure while deans seems to be very much the heir apparent with his exploits with the crusaders and turning down of other offers like the wallabies job.

Fushitsusha
28-11-07, 06:23 AM
imo, henry is a must. hes got a record of 42-6 or something. i mean come on, give the dog a bone. hes gotten blamed for all the wrong reasons. yes i can say, that if we had of had beaten the french, we wouldnt have won against england or south africa.
[/b]

I don&#39;t know about South Africa but New Zealand would&#39;ve steam rolled England if they hadn&#39;t of lost to France.

diehardkiwi07
28-11-07, 06:17 PM
I don&#39;t know about South Africa but New Zealand would&#39;ve steam rolled England if they hadn&#39;t of lost to France.
[/b]

Not to sure on that prediction, England would have punished NZ with the boot, i dont think NZ had an answer for that. Australia and NZ might have been good to watch slug it out in the final both with exactly the same style

Ripper
30-11-07, 07:57 PM

[/b]
[/b][/quote]

They never really fired him, they just let his contract expire.