PDA

View Full Version : Argentina invited to the 3 nations

totem
28-11-07, 03:55 PM
the SANZAR will invite formally The Pumas to Three Nations of 2008. Initially(originally) they would not be a part(report) of the competition, and only they would play with the selected one that remains free.

Prestwick
28-11-07, 05:59 PM
Do you have an actual link to an article about this to back it up?

eoino
28-11-07, 06:40 PM
information?

asado
28-11-07, 06:59 PM
This is all over argentinean newspapers, let's hope it's confirmed soon.

Prestwick
28-11-07, 07:16 PM
Then by all means! Show us these argentinian papers, even if it means you have to spend money to buy them all and take a photo of them all on your kitchen table sir!

We do not doubt your word, but us European and (specifically) Anglo-Saxon folk are very arrogant people who only believe what is printed in the Times or the Age for example.

asado
28-11-07, 07:24 PM
Then by all means! Show us these argentinian papers, even if it means you have to spend money to buy them all and take a photo of them all on your kitchen table sir![/b]

GIYF.

Cardiff_Blue
28-11-07, 07:27 PM
My first post on this forum.

I think it's a good idea to add Argentina in so they can have some tough internationals to practice for big events like the world cup.

Steve-o
28-11-07, 08:07 PM
If this is true I'm happy for Argentine rugby but I don't think this is the best move. Being invited into 6N would probably be better. Although people want rugby to become more international, those who support the 6N teams don't want a non-European team in the competition. Kinda a conflict of interests me thinks. FFS most of the players are there anyway. But that's the thing about common sense, it ain't that common.

Prestwick
28-11-07, 08:13 PM
Welcome to the forum! :)

totem
29-11-07, 12:32 AM
i ll prefer to play in 6nations

Argentina will play in Ciudad de Cabo south africa

Brodizzle
29-11-07, 02:15 AM
First off, the joy of editing :D

but us European and (specifically) Anglo-Saxon folk are very arrogant people
[/b]
Second off, I hope this is true, I hope they are invited to add a team or teams in the Super 14 as well, it'll add some more colour in the SH game (I know, even more colour and variety, how is that possible?) and hopefully drag the Argentinians in Europe away from those evil european money machines...

fcukernaut
29-11-07, 02:48 AM
Then by all means! Show us these argentinian papers, even if it means you have to spend money to buy them all and take a photo of them all on your kitchen table sir!

We do not doubt your word, but us European and (specifically) Anglo-Saxon folk are very arrogant people who only believe what is printed in the Times or the Age for example. [/b]

I did a little research, mainly using the very little spanish I know and the pretty well useless online translators, I found an article that mentioned they wouldn't be in the competition but they would be playing friendlies against the Tri-nations teams. What was more interesting for me was the section on one of the websites in the name of "chicas"...

Cirdo
29-11-07, 03:01 AM
Apparently Hugo Porta was told by some people from SANZAR about it and then he told a newspaper from Argentina. An executive from the UAR and Pichot later confirmed it. It is expected that a confirmation from SANZAR will arrive in the next few days.

And yes, what's being mentioned is that they will play against the one free team and it's being said that they would probably be based in Cape Town.

But there's still the whole deal about the players having no vacations if they actually play those tests during the Tri-Nations.

Brodizzle
29-11-07, 03:05 AM
But there's still the whole deal about the players having no vacations if they actually play those tests during the Tri-Nations.
[/b]
As I said, get your players to **** the NH off and you'll be right :)

toutai
29-11-07, 03:33 AM
hi everyone

first post in here,

im from argentina, and i actually play here.

as part of this, i think it would by great for our rugby to be in any international competition..
More matches, more experience...

BUT ! ,
on the other hand, i dont know if people, here in argentina will adapt to what all this tournaments requires...
Rugby in argentina is not prepare in a culturally way, to be a great business, as futbol ( soccer ) its.

( and i really hope, it would never be :wah: )

totem
29-11-07, 04:09 AM
but we wont play in Argentina

Brodizzle
29-11-07, 04:23 AM
[/b]
That would be a temporary thing I would imagine, once Argentina realise the money making potential it is concievable that they would play thier home games in Argentina...although South Africa is a fairly nice place anyway, mad about thier rugby there so would be a cash cow for your Argentinian Rugby Union.

DonBilly
29-11-07, 04:52 AM
This is all over argentinean newspapers, let's hope it's confirmed soon. [/b]

We do not doubt your word, but us European and (specifically) Anglo-Saxon folk are very arrogant people who only believe what is printed in the Times or the Age for example. [/b]

Asado, this means therefore that you will have to copy and translate in English because of course Anglo Saxons only trust what is printed in English. ;)

Prestwick
29-11-07, 05:54 AM
Asado, this means therefore that you will have to copy and translate in English because of course Anglo Saxons only trust what is printed in English. ;)
[/b]

And never the tripe printed in the neo-napoleonic jacobin toilet paper that is the revolutionary french press! Down with Boney! Up with King George! :%#%#:

And when I said "Anglo-Saxon", I did mean all of our colonial..*ahem* brothers too ;)

Brodizzle
29-11-07, 06:14 AM
And when I said "Anglo-Saxon", I did mean all of our colonial..*ahem* brothers too ;)
[/b]
Good thing I am of Scottish stock then :P

candybum
29-11-07, 08:14 AM
they should play in the 6 nations, i think... unless they get a team in the s14 or something, most of their players play up north so the 6 nations should be a better option. By all means i thinks its a great idea! either all,

Steve-o
29-11-07, 08:45 AM
<div class='quotemain'>
[/b]
That would be a temporary thing I would imagine, once Argentina realise the money making potential it is concievable that they would play thier home games in Argentina...although South Africa is a fairly nice place anyway, mad about thier rugby there so would be a cash cow for your Argentinian Rugby Union.
[/b][/quote]
There are definitely positives to this. I just wish for the public of Argentina to have home games. These are very important to create a sense of wholeness with the team. I&#39;m sure if you&#39;ve watched a team you support strongly live you&#39;ll get what i&#39;m saying. But at least talks have began to invest in thier rugby

Prestwick
29-11-07, 09:02 AM
I don&#39;t agree with Argentina joining the Six Nations, for a start, there just isn&#39;t room for an expanded Six Nations in the seasons. This has been cemented thanks to the new deal signed between the English Clubs and the RFU which has no provision for extra internationals in an expanded Six Nations.

Also, on a humanitarian point of view, rugby in Argentina has to profesionalise. They are already committed to this but to help they need to have big games and big competitions on their doorstep to help develop the game in Argentina. Simply sucking more players out of Argentina to Europe won&#39;t help either them or us.

An Tarbh
29-11-07, 09:37 AM
Here&#39;s the link - http://www.ole.clarin.com/notas/2007/11/28/um/01551955.html

Billy don&#39;t tar us all with the same brush ;)

dullonien
29-11-07, 09:40 AM
Agree there Pres, Argentina need to develop rugby in Argentina, not have all their players playing in France/England and playing their home games in Spain. I think they&#39;d struggle to attract supporters from Argentina and it won&#39;t help them as much in the long term.

Playing in the 3 nations (4 nations) makes more sense. They can base themselves from SA for the time being. Then when the times right, move to where they should be playing from, Argentina!

I know this would cause problems with freeing players from clubs etc. all the more reason to create an international calendar though!

Steve-o
29-11-07, 10:14 AM
Agree there Pres, Argentina need to develop rugby in Argentina, not have all their players playing in France/England and playing their home games in Spain. I think they&#39;d struggle to attract supporters from Argentina and it won&#39;t help them as much in the long term.

Playing in the 3 nations (4 nations) makes more sense. They can base themselves from SA for the time being. Then when the times right, move to where they should be playing from, Argentina!

I know this would cause problems with freeing players from clubs etc. all the more reason to create an international calendar though!
[/b]
Lets deal with the reality of the situation. So far an international calender is a TRF pipe dream. Most these guys play in europe, and thier national team is at the level it is due to that fact. If they joined the 3N they&#39;re gonna burn out from rugby all year round. European rugby needs to take responsibility here

Prestwick
29-11-07, 10:28 AM
Yes but seve, you&#39;ve just contradicted yourself. You talk about facing reality and then go on to name a distinct fantasy by saying that there is somehow room for an extended six nations.

by joining the tri nations they will undergo short term pain but as their system adjusts to playing in the south rather than being at the beck and call of the north they will get better.

this argument is irrelevant anyway, it would have to take at least 2 and a half years me protracted and bitter arguments between the unions, the irb and the clubs before this would be even agreed. That is why they will be joining the tri nations.

Steve-o
29-11-07, 11:47 AM
Yes but seve, you&#39;ve just contradicted yourself. You talk about facing reality and then go on to name a distinct fantasy by saying that there is somehow room for an extended six nations.
this argument is irrelevant anyway, it would have to take at least 2 and a half years me protracted and bitter arguments between the unions, the irb and the clubs before this would be even agreed. That is why they will be joining the tri nations.
[/b]
It always seems like the european clubs bully the national teams up there. And i believe that it won&#39;t change when/if Argentina join the 3N. We&#39;ll probably face a depleted Puma&#39;s side most of the time.
BTW Prestwick pull your head out of where ever your sticking it and quit with these fetish eastern european names. Have some respect. Doos.

DonBilly
29-11-07, 12:09 PM
<div class='quotemain'>
[/b]
It always seems like the european clubs bully the national teams up there. And i believe that it won&#39;t change when/if Argentina join the 3N. We&#39;ll probably face a depleted Puma&#39;s side most of the time.
BTW Prestwick pull your head out of where ever your sticking it and quit with these fetish eastern european names. Have some respect. Doos. [/b][/quote]

That&#39;s why the real issue is not actually addressed with this invitation. What needs to be addressed is the creation of professional clubs/provinces in Argentina. From this platform the argies could be involved in the SH competitions.

Steve-o
29-11-07, 12:29 PM
Yeah, i agree with you DonBilly. That&#39;s why I think joining the 3N would be "jumping the shark" at the moment. Cause at this moment the Puma&#39;s player platform is europe. Does anybody know what is currently the situation of domestic rugby there? Any significant tournaments?

Prestwick
29-11-07, 01:05 PM
BTW Prestwick pull your head out of where ever your sticking it and quit with these fetish eastern european names. Have some respect. Doos. [/b]

And going through yet another two or three years of butthurt between club and union is worth it just to see Argentina for a couple of years only for them to move down south again?

Having Argentina in the tri nations won&#39;t solve everything overnight but it is a start as regular home internationals in their own time zone would ignite interest in the sport on a whole new level. Remember that Argentina still managed to put together strong sides against Ireland in the Summer internationals last year and consistently for the summer internationals of the last few years and the level of support there already is phenominal.

Effectively, by doing this, you are creating a firm platform precisely for a professional league structure.

Waiting an extra few years for Argentina to spend a few years in an expanded Six Nations will only compound the problem of no exposure in Argentina itself and all its best players being cherry picked by the Northern Hemisphere.

In the end its a case of chicken and the egg. In this case, the chicken must arrive before the egg can be laid!

Finally, for your information:

I am current sticking my head into a Poweredge 860 and
Seve is actually a Spanish name which is distinctly Western European.

:bana:

dullonien
29-11-07, 01:06 PM
Are you so sure that an international calendar is &#39;just a TRF pipe dream&#39;. The IRB are meeting this week to discuss creating that exact same thing. Fine it may take a while for it to be implemented, don&#39;t expect it any sooner than 3-5 years, but it&#39;s in the works supposedly.

Now the inclusion of Argentina in the 3/4 Nations may just mean the IRB have to take this idea more seriously than they currently are, stop talking and start acting.

The future (long term) for Argentina is in an expanded 3 nations, I have no doubt about that. It&#39;s just unhealthy for a national team to play home games in another country (long term) imo, hence why an expanded 6 nations is a no starter.

Argentina need to get into a majour competition (4 nations) asap, they are in the limelight at the moment, already proving that they deserve it during the world cup. Leave it a few years while they build their domestic leagues in Argentina and I&#39;m worried the chance will have been lost.

Something needs to be figured out, there must be a way this can work. Argentinian and waorld rugby needs it.

Incredible Schalk
29-11-07, 01:13 PM
i ll prefer to play in 6nations

Argentina will play in Ciudad de Cabo south africa
[/b]

Because they would win it? ;)

O'Rothlain
29-11-07, 02:30 PM
I hope with this comes some sort of scheme to add at least 1 Super 14 franchise team out of Arg. But, I&#39;m probably looking to far off in the future, so don&#39;t post that as a response...I&#39;m just mumbling out loud.

el_tk
29-11-07, 08:36 PM
Long term Argentina have to play in the 3N. But the UAR have to sort themselves out and get a professional structure in place. They already have the clubs and they need to ride the wave of positive publicity from the RWC.
It&#39;s simply not feasible for them to have their top players playing a full NH season and then spending the summer playing 3N

Cirdo
29-11-07, 09:59 PM
This blog (http://www.periodismo-rugby.com.ar/) is reporting that Argentina has received a proposal to participate in next year&#39;s Currie Cup (presumably with the Argentina A team). It also says that in the future two teams from Argentina will be invited.

Again, this has not been confirmed. But that&#39;s not just some fan&#39;s blog, it&#39;s a blog by a long-time journalist from Argentina who&#39;s been involved with rugby for many years.

Steve-o
30-11-07, 06:38 AM
Oh ye of little faith. Dullonien i&#39;m not sure that grabbing the bull by the horns "while they can" is the right mentality. Argentina have produced quality players for YEARS and I have no doubt they will again. Argentina IMO have a quality starting XV but thier squad lacks depth. They need to sort out thier domestic rugby before they try and conquer the SH.

Can i have a link as evidence for this meeting about a world calender? Sounds like an interesting read.

Also I just wanna say that I&#39;m in anyway angry about a 4N tournament, change is good. But my major concern is the players. Thier endurance is gonna be tested to the MAX.

dullonien
30-11-07, 10:12 AM
They mentioned the IRB meeting on Scrum V last week.

Here&#39;s a link (http://www.irb.com/newsmedia/mediazone/pressrelease/newsid=2021332.html#rugby+lays+foundations+continu ed+growth) to an article on the IRB website. Unfortunately they came to the conclusion that the current calendar is the best way foreward. Idiots!

stormmaster1
30-11-07, 10:26 AM
IMO the 6N for Argentina couldn&#39;t work for the home nations, so it won&#39;t happen whether Argentina could play in spain or not.

For regular international games the 3N is a better choice. The problem is the players playing a NH domestic season and SH internationals.

Long term the best solution is either a global season, or to play domestic rugby in the SH. S14 sides probably won&#39;t want too many foreigners in the sides as they primarily exist to provide for the national team, so Argentina needs it&#39;s own proffesional side. Setting up a proffesional side in Argentina won&#39;t be easy however, as the Argies are proud of their amateur status.

I suspect the way forward wil be plughing into the 3N with tired players, trying to make the best of it, suffering in the short term whilst trying to iron out how to work it in the Long run.

Steve-o
30-11-07, 11:58 AM
They mentioned the IRB meeting on Scrum V last week.

Here&#39;s a link (http://www.irb.com/newsmedia/mediazone/pressrelease/newsid=2021332.html#rugby+lays+foundations+continu ed+growth) to an article on the IRB website. Unfortunately they came to the conclusion that the current calendar is the best way foreward. Idiots!
[/b]
Thanks for the link mate, it was very interesting. They made some good points, and i&#39;m happy to see they gonna steadily intregrate Argentina into regular international rugby. As long as there is summer and winter, there won&#39;t be an international calender IMO.

dullonien
30-11-07, 02:33 PM
As long as there is summer and winter, there won&#39;t be an international calender IMO. [/b]

Well, it seems to have mostly dissapeared from Wales! Didn&#39;t have any snow last year (hoping we have some this year) and we didn&#39;t have any summer.

Could this be the first positive outcome of global warming! (joke, just incase someone didn&#39;t realise.)

asado
30-11-07, 05:23 PM
Last news is that this isn&#39;t going to happen anytime soon.

For the ones who can read spanish: http://www.rugbyfun.com.ar/

Prestwick
30-11-07, 06:28 PM
Also, its been agreed that Argentina will not play after the Six Nations in the recent iRB loya jurga on the international season...

jabali
30-11-07, 06:48 PM
<div class='quotemain'>
[/b]
[/b][/quote]

Answer to the second or third post:

http://www.irb.com/newsmedia/mediazone/pre...ontinued+growth (http://www.irb.com/newsmedia/mediazone/pressrelease/newsid=2021332.html#rugby+lays+foundations+continu ed+growth)

And also, I agree with whom I am responding: that will be temporary. Arg in 3N (4N) requires a huge change in structure and organization. OF COURSE it will not happen in 1 year. In the long term, professional rugby in Arg will born and grow, stadiums will be build, and a regular calendar will be established.
I am so so so happy that Arg will be part of the southern hemisphere tournament, even when the real thing will occur in 3 or 4 years to now.

GO PUMAS!!!

esoj
03-12-07, 04:58 AM
defintely doesn&#39;t seem like this will happen anytime soon.

http://tvnz.co.nz/view/page/536641/1480756
Argentina set to remain isolated
Dec 3, 2007

There&#39;s no guarantee Argentina will be part of the Tri Nations, even five years down the track.

New Zealand Rugby Union Deputy CEO Steve Tew is back in the country and reflecting on last week&#39;s all-encompassing meeting of rugby&#39;s stakeholders in the UK.

"Having Argentina join the SANZAR showpiece is certainly an option, but it might not be the final result," Tew said

Tew admitted that the IRB is taking a long-term view to developing Argentinean rugby.

scuubasteve
04-12-07, 01:53 AM
Why can&#39;t they just play an Argentinian based Pumas teams on the Tri-Nations bye weekends? They can play against second string sides of the SANZAR team until 2010, when the contract is renewed.

These would be one off tests and would carry no competition points. The SANZAR teams reserves get a run and Argentinean rugby continues to remain in the headlines.

Over this same 3 year period the 16 team "Club de National" club comp can move towards professionalism. By 2010 these sides will include a reasonable proportion of the top Argentinian players and a true 4 Nations comp can begin.

On a side note, despite the history and success of amateur rugby in Argentina, it will be very cool to have some kind of pro club repesentation from a new part of the world.

I have to say the Cardenales club shirt is one of the nicest I&#39;ve seen:

http://www.worldrugbyshop.com/departments-...ome-jersey.html (http://www.worldrugbyshop.com/departments-shop-by-country-argentina-cardenales-cardenales-home-jersey.html)

While the Argentinean Rugby revolution we all are hungry for may take some time, it&#39;s very refreshing to see the IRB and the Tier 1 nation actually putting some effort.

jonny215
08-12-07, 01:16 PM
I agree with what Martin Johnson said as well; would be good to see at least Argentinian team in the Super 14

redunderthebed
09-12-07, 04:38 AM
<div class='quotemain'>
[/b]

And never the tripe printed in the neo-napoleonic jacobin toilet paper that is the revolutionary french press! Down with Boney! Up with King George! :%#%#:

[/b][/quote]

Pommy *******. :D

I heard that there is going to be a 10 nation world series rugby tourney a la tri-nations and 6 nations each year and Argentina will be involved.

But i think Argies in the tri-nations will be the best solution.

tuargentino45
12-12-07, 02:13 AM
We deserve that... Go pumas! La verdad ke no los merecemos... Y para mas tambien che... Saludos... From Argentine!... Bye

semental
12-12-07, 04:04 AM
argentina deserves it. There is a great rugby culture here in argentina. And the performance in the world cup 07 shows it

Rhinos Flanker
16-12-07, 06:49 AM
Im so glad the Pumas finally get a chance at a international competition other than the WC
Even if they dont win it, they get the experience

I would have loved the 6N but then again we are not Northern Hemisphere or Europeans

Reason I wouldnt mind the 6N is because I know we can beat all the teams if we play good
the Tri we can Beat them playin our asses off and not making mistakes like we did against south Africa this past WC...
still happy though haha

Jaime
16-12-07, 05:47 PM
If all best Pumas play in Europe,logical is that they play the 6N.

Also think that Pumas on 3N are not team for to opposite NZ,SA or Australia.

gmichel28
17-12-07, 08:24 PM
Welcome Pumas!

manuelele
19-12-07, 06:52 PM
In spain, sports newspapers say that they will play in Valencia,(a city from spain).

BOPB94
23-12-07, 05:13 PM
In spain, sports newspapers say that they will play in Valencia,(a city from spain).
[/b]
argentina can&#39;t stay alone, it &#39;s a great team, the tri nations must open their tournement

HKING
23-12-07, 08:42 PM
Sorry, I think it was a bad Idea for the IRB to allow this. The competition between the Americas and Canada could have become a great venue for developing the region with more RUGBY!!

Is that not the goal to grow the sport anound the world.

Guys we know this is a great game, because it puts the winning of the game on every player on the field. You might have one or even two superstars they are no match for all fifteen pistons driving the engine of a well oiled rugby machine.

Anyway my 2 cents.

King

PS Could the USA Eagles matched the Pumas I feel they could if they matched each year in developing a new Americas Cup of Rugby. Yeah I know we lost the Grand Daddy of trophies but what a North American Tri-Nations Event(I would spend money to see an international game here in the states).

zaki94
25-12-07, 11:23 AM
It&#39;s very good Argentina is a very good team

Hernandez,Contepomi,Corletto...

Camp0
28-12-07, 10:32 PM
do they really have that many players available (with the skill), that they can make 2-3 super 14 sides.

i know sa barely have the players to compete with 5 teams...

how strong will they be if 5 of the current lineup retire? contipomi, pichot and a couple of forwards?

Rhinos Flanker
29-12-07, 04:42 PM
Sorry, I think it was a bad Idea for the IRB to allow this. The competition between the Americas and Canada could have become a great venue for developing the region with more RUGBY!!

Is that not the goal to grow the sport anound the world.

Guys we know this is a great game, because it puts the winning of the game on every player on the field. You might have one or even two superstars they are no match for all fifteen pistons driving the engine of a well oiled rugby machine.

Anyway my 2 cents.

King

PS Could the USA Eagles matched the Pumas I feel they could if they matched each year in developing a new Americas Cup of Rugby. Yeah I know we lost the Grand Daddy of trophies but what a North American Tri-Nations Event(I would spend money to see an international game here in the states).
[/b]

yeah
NO

no offense
but USA is not or never will be on the rugby level Argentina is
Canada? the same
Uruguay? the same
those are the 3 "best" teams after the Pumas in the Americas
they should just let the sport "grow"
while the pumas grow with the rest

Matpel
21-02-08, 10:30 AM
Argentinas deserves to play in the 3 nations

Iain A
04-03-08, 10:11 PM
good news that Argentina are going to be in a competition, i was hoping they would be included in either the 6 nations, or the tri nations, maybe this will be a stepping stone to one or the other, they had a great world cup, but need to play in regular competion. :) :) :bravo:

redunderthebed
05-03-08, 03:43 AM
I heard on Fox Sports News that the IRB said it would be another 4 years before Argentina joins a major competition. I personally think its pressure to get the argentine union to get a professional league up and running etc. :)

goranski
05-03-08, 02:38 PM
what do they have to do win the World Cup first!?

Prestwick
05-03-08, 03:39 PM
Yes.

rodri_arg91
28-03-08, 08:20 PM
As an argie, i believe that it&#39;s a great idea to include Argentina in the tri nations. After all, it&#39;s the only top-ten country which does belong to an annual international competition. It&#39;s hard to mantain a good level of rugby without a first level tournament like the 6 nations or the 3 nations.
It&#39;s completely fair to include it in a competition like this... But on the other hand, it&#39;s not as simple as it seems. We don&#39;t have a professional structure here, we still have amateur local competitions and it&#39;s very difficult to get into a tournament like the tri-nations when so many important players are in Europe. It will be extremely difficult to keep up with New Zealand, Australia and South Africa and mantain a good level of rugby.
Maybe, the six nations tournament would benefit Argentina much more. Argentina could play at the same level than the European nations and even fight for the title. But we don&#39;t belong to the Northern Hemisphere. I heard that there could be a chance of staying in Spain during the six nations, and play the Argentinian local matches there...but i&#39;m not sure.

Anyway, it&#39;s good to get the recognition we deserve... Regards from Argentina.

VAMOS LOS PUMAS CARAJO!

paretrooper
06-04-08, 11:29 PM
I for one support the idea of an exspanded super rugby comp the likes of Aussie ceo O&#39;neil
has throwin about. a 26 week comp just like the NRL haveing teams based in argie, japan,usa
aswell as the SANZA countrys with internationals played mid week just like the STATE OF &#39;&#39;O&#39;&#39;
or a window for tests in the middle of the comp.and allowing players to play for any team
and who still can be selected for tests for there home nation.

KZNSharksFan
07-04-08, 05:40 AM
I for one support the idea of an exspanded super rugby comp the likes of Aussie ceo O&#39;neil
has throwin about. a 26 week comp just like the NRL haveing teams based in argie, japan,usa
aswell as the SANZA countrys with internationals played mid week just like the STATE OF &#39;&#39;O&#39;&#39;
or a window for tests in the middle of the comp.and allowing players to play for any team
and who still can be selected for tests for there home nation.
[/b]

Say goodbye to NPC, Currie Cup. Over a hundred years of tradition down the drain for the Currie Cup as well as the loss of a superb player development programme. NZ and SA will end up like Aus (god forbid) with no intermediate step from club to real first class games

paretrooper
07-04-08, 10:33 AM
but you could have those comps as a feeder to the pro comp i don&#39;t know sorry how the Currie cup works
and i am not degradeing it. but we have tryed to make the NPC a pro comp but the money is not here
and club rugby is sufering.imo you can make the NPC like a colt team to the pros. nothing changed
played the same way.have them as a warm up game to the big game. god forbid i do not want to
change the history of the comp but if we do not think out of the box we in the south will become
a feeder to the rich northern clubs. sorry sir but there needs to be a change to stop the rot of the top
players of SA,NZ, AUST going to the north. as far as i see it the south has the best most hardest
comp in the game. but if we don&#39;t change we will bleed players to the big money.

Steve-o
07-04-08, 12:55 PM
First you have figure out why they are leaving.
IMO and from reading many interviews of SH players up in the north is:
1) Money
2) To experience a different rugby culture

The first point is not a rugby problem, it&#39;s a socio-economic problem. People in Europe, in any profession or job, generally have better salaries and better living conditions than anywhere in the world.

The 2nd point can not be replicated. Languages, culture, climate of Europe is unique.

We need to keep our competitions like the CC strong and put them high on the priority list. South Africa has many other competitions to develop talent, the CC is our premier domestic competition.

Canadian_Rugger
19-04-08, 02:34 PM
WHat you need is to develop an actual feeder system into the big leagues. In North America every pro sport has a feeder system of progression In Hockey it goes you play Midget AAA when your 15 years old in the hope you get scouted to play in the Canadian Hockey League which is a semi-pro professional league with three seperate leagues spread around the country. This league is an under-21 league with the hope that players who are good enough get drafted to the NHL. The CHL does very well and is very popular teams regularly get 4 to 5000 fans a game and its very successful. Canada also has around 60 tier AAA junior teams in the country one for each city/region. After this if you haven&#39;t gone to the NHL you enter a feeder system which is professional hockey but broken down into AAA, AA, A tier leagues with the hope that you get notice and get a call up to one of the big 30 NHL teams.

s33f
10-05-08, 04:23 PM
There are even some talks of inviting them into an extended S14

Eche_17
27-06-08, 02:28 AM
Well, in Argentina the news say that the Argentinian Rugby Union had received like six million pounds or something like that...to make the rugby structure better.

Congrats for these posts including news of Argentina

fakucarp
30-06-08, 09:15 PM
I prefer that Argentina entered the "Six Nations" because the schedules are better suited to the stars can participate in this tournament. But this will be very difficult to materialize

Go Pumas!!!

gushernunez
18-05-09, 12:34 AM
Hello all:

So many has been said about this matter and what speciallized press is saying over here is that the IRB want&#39;s Argentina to go PRO in order to be included in any anual competition, you name it 6N or 3N. But this is not the only problem, distance is a BIG issue, for anyone that&#39;s being on a south emisphere flight we&#39;re talking about 10 to 12 hs flight! that&#39;s a lot.
If we play overseas (that is, the arg. team gathers outside for the game) means the UAR looses money, the players suffers from traveling... not a good deal.
this applies for europe and south emisphere.

Second is our vision of the game... we play rugby not just as the incredible sport that it is, it&#39;s a way of living and thinking... (and a little secret, It&#39;s also good bussines for a few, to keep it amateur), and since is not a cheap sport for people who practice it it&#39;s a good way of classist elitism (did I write it correctly?... elitism?) ;)
So bottom line is... the players and some managers are working to put Argentina in an annual competition, so
It will be long &#39;till we can play in any competition.
and let&#39;s face it... we are not particularly close to the big nations to ease things.
Never the less Argentina HAS to be in an annual competition no one can doubt that Argentinian rugby is competitive.

Hummble... my oppinion

Vamos Los Pumas Carajo!

uli85
18-05-09, 01:35 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (gushernunez @ May 18 2009, 12:34 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> ('index.php?act=findpost&pid=396352')</div>
Hello all:

So many has been said about this matter and what speciallized press is saying over here is that the IRB want&#39;s Argentina to go PRO in order to be included in any anual competition, you name it 6N or 3N. But this is not the only problem, distance is a BIG issue, for anyone that&#39;s being on a south emisphere flight we&#39;re talking about 10 to 12 hs flight! that&#39;s a lot.
If we play overseas (that is, the arg. team gathers outside for the game) means the UAR looses money, the players suffers from traveling... not a good deal.
this applies for europe and south emisphere.

Second is our vision of the game... we play rugby not just as the incredible sport that it is, it&#39;s a way of living and thinking... (and a little secret, It&#39;s also good bussines for a few, to keep it amateur), and since is not a cheap sport for people who practice it it&#39;s a good way of classist elitism (did I write it correctly?... elitism?) ;)
So bottom line is... the players and some managers are working to put Argentina in an annual competition, so
It will be long &#39;till we can play in any competition.
and let&#39;s face it... we are not particularly close to the big nations to ease things.
Never the less Argentina HAS to be in an annual competition no one can doubt that Argentinian rugby is competitive.

Hummble... my oppinion

Vamos Los Pumas Carajo![/b]

Good opinion there mate. But why do you say it&#39;s a good business for some people to keep argentinian rugby amateur? I think they just fear the professionalism becomes rugby like football, and loose the tradition, amateur spirit and the love of the players for their clubs.

rugbierbanger
18-05-09, 11:44 PM
I guess that just a part of the national rugby should be professional, the sevens team, the Jaguars, the u-21 and the Pumas themselves, but not the clubs or tranfers

gushernunez
19-05-09, 12:05 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (rugbierbanger @ May 18 2009, 08:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> ('index.php?act=findpost&pid=396537')</div>
I guess that just a part of the national rugby should be professional, the sevens team, the Jaguars, the u-21 and the Pumas themselves, but not the clubs or tranfers[/b]
Good opinion there mate. But why do you say it&#39;s a good business for some people to keep argentinian rugby amateur? I think they just fear the professionalism becomes rugby like football, and loose the tradition, amateur spirit and the love of the players for their clubs.

thanks...
yes, to both of you, I said what I&#39;ve said because there&#39;s a lot of small money and business related such as buffet service, and such that will change if rugby at a club level goes pro, plus, right now picture something like this... suppose your club needs to do some mainteinance duty or simple a paint job, lots of clubs specially small ones give this to "know people" or "friends" if a club goes pro this is over you see? is not just fear to loose tradition, amateur spirit and love for your club.
Ask a ANY professional player that was once amateur if they ever forgot what they felt for their original clubs?
Pichot, Ledesma, are just two examples in many, many cases of players that passed trough professional rugby in France, England, Italy.. they all went back to their clubs after their "pro" affair and finish their carreers back in their clubs, continue trainning kids, or managing or just being there watching the match every saturday.
How many players like Rodrigo Roncero, Juan Martin Hernandez just to mention two; catches a fligth whenever they can to get back to their families, friends and you see them otuside the field just like everybody watching "the guys" playing?
However I have to say... in many many cases the fear of loosing amateur misticism is true, at a certain point I feel it too, it&#39;s a risk but in life like in rugby (if anybody ever played it) there comes a point where you have to take risk.
Anyway...
thank you both for your reply