View Full Version : Gwent Dragons vs Glasgow

30-03-08, 05:35 PM
Originally posted by BBC Sport

Dragons 14-20 Glasgow
http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/44515000/gif/_44515210_newport_glasgow_203x152.gif Dragons (14) 14
Tries: Wyatt
Cons: A Thomas 3

Glasgow (10) 20
Tries: M Evans 2
Con: Parks
Pen: Parks

A memorable brace of tries from wing Max Evans was enough to secure Glasgow victory over Newport-Gwent Dragons at Rodney Parade.

Evans' first-half try was a team effort, but his crucial second-half score came from the individual skill of Dan Parks.

The fly-half's pin-point cross-kick sent Evans over to ensure victory.

Dragons skipper Colin Charvis' knee survived the contest, putting his plans to quit at bay for the moment.

Glasgow took the game to the Dragons from the outset with half-backs Sam Pinder and Dan Parks setting their backs free at every opportunity.

The approach brought the best out of sibling wings Thom and Max Evans, the latter claiming the first try after 19 minutes following some excellent inter-lay between forwards and backs.

Parks' conversion was soon followed by his penalty after referee Alain Roland told Dragons skipper Charvis to warn his players about a series of offences, including tripping.

Dragons fly-half Aled Thomas provided some nice touches, but was also guilty of poor defence in the opening quarter.

The Welsh region also struggled to make the most of their chances despite the attacking talent at their disposal.

However, that all changed after Thomas kicked two penalties. The scores gave Paul Turner's side some confidence and they began to attack with more purpose.

Centre Rhodri Gomer-Davies drew two defenders to create the space for Kevin Morgan and Gareth Wyatt to combine in a manner with which their followers from the days in which they starred for Pontypridd would be familiar.

http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/shared/img/o.gif Morgan's final pass set Wyatt free down the right and the wing was too quick for the cover defence.

Thomas was unable to convert the 31st-minute try, but added a penalty to send his side into the break 14-10 ahead.

Parks closed the gap 15 minutes in the second period after prop Rhys Thomas was caught offside, but the visitors were soon back in trouble.

Dragons flanker Joe Bearman's speculative punt was harmless until full-back Bernardo Stortoni knocked on, but the hosts blew the opportunity amid more indiscipline.

At the other end Parks' long pass to unmarked Stortoni was judged forward as Glasgow sought to get back into the lead.

When they did so it was spectacular as Parks' cross-kick from one touchline found Max Evans a few feet from the other and the wing went over unopposed for his second try.

Parks converted, but failed with a drop-goal attempt after 70 minutes to leave the outcome finely balanced.

Paul Emerick cut replacement |Hefin O'Hare down before snaffling possession at the subsequent ruck to help the Dragons find themselves in Glasgow's 22.

That was the start of a desperate late assault from the hosts and despite the best efforts of the likes of replacements Martyn Thomas and Michael Owen the Dragons could not break free while Glasgow defended superbly.

Newport-Gwent Dragons: Morgan, Wyatt, Davies, Smith, Fussell, A. Thomas, A. Williams, Pattison, S. Jones, R. Thomas, A. Jones, Charteris, Bearman, Ringer, Charvis (capt).
Replacements: M. Thomas for Morgan (62), Emerick for Smith (62), W. Evans for A. Williams (57), Robinson for Pattison (67), Daly for S. Jones (57), Sidoli for Charteris (72), Owen for Ringer (57).

Glasgow: Stortoni, T. Evans, Morrison, Gibson, M. Evans, Parks, Pinder, Va'a, Hall, Low, Palepoi, Turner, Brown, Barclay, Beattie.
Replacements: O'Hare for T. Evans (67), Barrow for Gibson (48), Gregor for Pinder (56), Tckachuk for Va'a (52), Thomson for Hall (52), Eddie for Palepoi (70). Not Used: MacFadyen.

Att: 4,500

Ref: Alain Rolland (Ireland).

30-03-08, 06:20 PM
I watched the last 15 minutes of this match and from how that went i'm glad i didn't see anymore.
Glasgow looked more dangerous than the two, but neither ever looked like scoring...even when Dan Parks dropped back for a drop goal...

30-03-08, 06:45 PM
I managed to see the whole match but you are right it wasn't anything special. The tries where quite good but apart from that thigns where a bit of a mess.

lineens weegie army
30-03-08, 07:44 PM
but still, a great result for Glasgow. first magners away win since Ravenhill last May, and to do it again our bogey team makes it even sweeter.

Oh, and it makes the Glasgow v Edinburgh battle even better. Edinburgh were 'expected' to win this weekend, and Glasgow loose. getting tight now, meaning the 1872 Cup game is absolutly vital!

Who really scored Glasgow's tries, ive seen Max's name above and in other places, but some reports say it was Thom. ?