PDA

View Full Version : Saracens v Ospreys

An Tarbh
31-03-08, 06:22 PM
<div align="center">http://www.therugbyforum.com/uploads/Saracens.pngSaracens v Ospreyshttp://www.therugbyforum.com/uploads/Ospreys.png</div>

Well this one has certainly attracted a lot of attention here so now it&#39;s gloves off and let the real match slanging begin.

Can the Ospreys whose squad is bouyed by their grand slam exploits go to Vicarage Rd and take the prize of a home semi-final or will they returning home with their tails between their legs.

Ryan Jones has certainly been talking up their chances as you&#39;d expect of any Welsh rugby player but will he have egg on his face come Sunday afternoon.

You get the impression that Sarries are quietly going about their business and could well get the job done despite the loss of the immense Chris Jack.

So what do we think, Sarries or Ospreys???

Prestwick
31-03-08, 07:22 PM
Wow... Flatter us with your prescense why doncha?!

As for the game, Sarries to challenge properly this time and maybe muddle through...

RC
31-03-08, 07:55 PM
All stupid remarks aside, this is going to be one tough game. Saracens have the forwards to challenge (like we saw last time) and the backs are very dangerous with ball in hand...how can Brent Russel not be considered dangerous?
I, however, feel confident about the game. I believe that we have a great pack which can make us do the grunt work as necessary and with the flip of a switch we can turn on the classy backs play.

I think Ospreys by 8...but we&#39;ve been known for not showing up to some games and if we don&#39;t bring everything this sunday then we&#39;ll be looking to Twickenham for our match against Leicester as our only chance for silverware this year.

Vambo
01-04-08, 09:49 AM
I would love to see Saracens turnover The Ospreys and they are capable of it but Welsh rugby has the wind under it&#39;s sails at the minute and The Ospreys have quality all over the paddock.

gingergenius
01-04-08, 10:31 AM
OK i will shout us on.. but really. Wales won a grand slam with basically the Ospreys team. The best Wales non-Ospreys player was Martyn Williams. A big loss. But oh no, the Ospreys have Marty Holah who&#39;s probably the next best 7 playing in Europe right now. Sarries lack a world class 7 with Richard over-the-Hill and stuffing Leeds means nothing.

I&#39;d love to think we can win it... I suppose we can... but realistically we&#39;d do well to keep it close.

loratadine
01-04-08, 11:30 AM
im expecting a tight first 40, with the ospreys running away in the latter stages im going for

saracens 12
ospreys 33

noikz
01-04-08, 11:43 AM
I can never make a prediction with my own team but whatever the result it&#39;d going to be a corker. I&#39;ve even convinced my football fanatic non-rugby loving mate to get a ticket.

The week is dragging already, roll on the weekend! :bana:

RC
01-04-08, 12:18 PM
I&#39;ve even convinced my football fanatic non-rugby loving mate to get a ticket.
[/b]

Ooh, you shouldn&#39;t mingle with them folk, sir! They be queer folk - their kicking instrument be all the wrong shape, does one not agree? I believes this be the work of the devil, sir. Be weary...be vigilant when nearby these people - they be cursed.

dullonien
04-04-08, 01:37 PM
Teams:

Ospreys

Lee Byrne; Johnny Vaughton, Sonny Parker, Gavin Henson, Shane Williams; James Hook, Justin Marshall; Duncan Jones, Huw Bennett, Adam Jones, Ian Gough, Alun Wyn Jones, Jonathan Thomas, Marty Holah, Ryan Jones (capt).

Replacements: Richard Hibbard, Paul James, Ian Evans, Filo Tiatia, Rhys Webb, Andrew Bishop, Aled Brew

Saracens

B Russell; R Haughton, K Sorrell, A Farrell, K Ratuvou; G Jackson, N de Kock (capt); N Lloyd, M Cairns, C Visagie, H Vyvyan, K Chesney, P Gustard, R Hill, B Skirving.

Replacements: F Ongaro, C Johnston, T Ryder, D Barrell, M Rauluni, A Powell, F Leonelli

danny
04-04-08, 03:19 PM
I think Ospreys will have far to much for Sarries all over the paddock. I cant see any phase of the game where Sarries will be superior. The loss of Jack in the second row is a big one and without him I cant see the Forwards competing for 80 minutes. Interesting to see how Farrell will handle Henson after being embarrased by him in the EDF cup. Ospreys by 20-25 points.

Prestwick
04-04-08, 04:04 PM
Ooh, you shouldn&#39;t mingle with them folk, sir! They be queer folk - their kicking instrument be all the wrong shape, does one not agree? I believes this be the work of the devil, sir. Be weary...be vigilant when nearby these people - they be cursed.
[/b]

STOP MOCKING SARACENS FANS !!

Seriously though, you have to wonder looking at that teamsheet. Census Johnston is one of our most destructive players...so why is he on the bench?! What did Adam Powell do to warrant him being dropped? Ditto Scabs?!

Baffling. Almost as if Ashton chose the squad!!

Prestwick
06-04-08, 12:36 PM
WOOOIOOOOOOOOO!!!!!! WELCOME TO THUNDERDOME MOTHERf***ERS!!!!!!!

Incredible Schalk
06-04-08, 01:13 PM
Quite a few smug Ospreys fans will have egg on their faces :P

Bullitt
06-04-08, 01:25 PM
Even I, the man who hates Saracens almost as much as I hate mushrooms, will admit that was a cracking game of rugby. Total domination bu the Sarries pack against <strike>Grand Slam Winning Wales&#39;</strike> Ospreys attempts, Hill fully deserving the MOTM award - I&#39;ve never seen Marty Hollah get dominated like that before. The reall diffewrence came in when Farrell limped off and Powell came into the line... Maybe now the over-rated, pan-faced mutant may not get shoe-horned into the lineup lineup and Sarries may continue to use their youngsters. Jackson and Horton also had standout performances imo.

Munsters pack was immense yesterday, but they will struggle to overcome Sarries if they can keep that sort of momentum up in the next round. The only thing that will be against them now will be the number of injuries picked up.

shazbooger
06-04-08, 01:35 PM
I&#39;d say Munster would he happier playing Sarries then they would have been Ospreys. Plenty for both sides to look forward to. Should be a cracking game.

Sir Speedy
06-04-08, 01:39 PM
o.O - Oh-My-Gucking-Fod....

Didn&#39;t see the game, but holy crap! Congratulations Sarries fans and Prestwick.

Prestwick
06-04-08, 01:52 PM
CAN&#39;T TALK DRINKING WITH GOD BRB KTHNXBAI

noikz
06-04-08, 02:02 PM
Congrats to Sarries, well deserved victory. So much pressue forcing the O&#39;s to make an abundance of schooboy errors, not one of them stood up when it was needed.

Good luck in the semi. :)

RC
06-04-08, 02:18 PM
Quite a few smug Ospreys fans will have egg on their faces :P [/b]

Get over yourself. You won&#39;t find pretentiousness around our way. There was no smugness there was simply confidence and given our form i don&#39;t see how you could have argued with that.

Congrats to Saracens you won the match that mattered, i haven&#39;t seen the game yet but it sounds like they were the better team and hats off to them for that.
Good luck against Munster as well!

shtove
06-04-08, 02:42 PM
Anyone catch Greenwood&#39;s tribute to Hill? Get a room!

Munster are going to have a feast at Coventry - Sarries bones will be picked clean and strewn across the pitch.

Will Jack be back? Would be great to see him go up against POC.

gingergenius
06-04-08, 03:38 PM
Just got back thanks to all the Wembley traffic, but WORTH IT!!!!!!!!!!

What a game, absolute cracker.

Richard Hill was awesome, he&#39;s one of best English players of all time absolute sickhead. Vyvyan, de Kock, Jackson and Haughton all had big games too.

Ospreys were destroyed at scrumtime and their back row didn&#39;t show up. Sonny Parker can&#39;t catch a cold, hook , byrne and williams were stifled and poor old henson looked a class act all on his own though.

AWESOME Sarries performance, especially defence, Ratuvou, Powell and Leonelli all quality... I&#39;m definitely going to Coventry for the semi.

Respect to the Ospreys for genarally being good losers.

Prestwick
06-04-08, 06:20 PM
My view of the match as seen from the South Stand, specifically that of Hugh Vyvyan vs The Ospreys/Wales:

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/7Ze-xQoEfOU&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/7Ze-xQoEfOU&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

Just kidding! Although when we scored our try, I lept to my feet and screamed in a scratchy voice "WELCOME TO THUNDERDOME OSPREYS! WOOOOO!" Great game and Henson and Jones did try their hearts out. Idiot award jointly shared by Lee Byrne and Adam Powell and gaffe of the day award has to be James Hook for trying to catch a ball by holding his hands behind his back.

All in all a successful day: Saracens through to the Semi-Final, God gets man of the match and me and Steve (I Bleed Black) got to dance around like idiots again :D

dullonien
06-04-08, 06:33 PM
Congratulations Sarries, you were by far the best team on the day. O&#39;s missed a handfull of opertunities and generally didn&#39;t respect the ball atall. Hill was awesome today, though I think one of the Sky commentators had a hard on for him the entire match lol.

Will this be the end of Lyn Jones? Should be.....

danny
06-04-08, 07:11 PM
I think after todays disapointing display by the Welsh teams it has brought a bit of reality back to their game. The real quality and pedigree of Welsh rugby is probably somewhere between Today and the grand slam .

RC
06-04-08, 07:35 PM
Will this be the end of Lyn Jones? Should be..... [/b]

http://www.sc.iitb.ac.in/~janas/Fcros.jpg
http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/dayart/20061107/450election_cantwell_fingers.jpg
http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n90/cmlaurias/mm1003.jpg
http://cache.viewimages.com/xc/2661550.jpg?v=1&c=ViewImages&k=2&d=6E41E83E90A345BDE9AA9B05974D573EA55A1E4F32AD3138

Sir Speedy
06-04-08, 07:38 PM
Indeed. :lol:

stormmaster1
06-04-08, 08:50 PM
Congratulations Sarries, you were by far the best team on the day. O&#39;s missed a handfull of opertunities and generally didn&#39;t respect the ball atall. Hill was awesome today, though I think one of the Sky commentators had a hard on for him the entire match lol.

Will this be the end of Lyn Jones? Should be..... [/b]

On Hill: the guy&#39;s awesome, nice to see him play again at such a high level. He&#39;s the most sung about unsung hero for a reason.

On Lyn Jones: he won&#39;t go if the Ospreys beat the tigers at the 4th attempt to get some silverware.

Good luck iun the Semis Sarries!!!

dullonien
06-04-08, 09:11 PM
On Lyn Jones: he won&#39;t go if the Ospreys beat the tigers at the 4th attempt to get some silverware.[/b]

Not quite so sure. The Heineken was the main objective for the O&#39;s this year, the EDF will be scant consilation IF they manage to win (after todays abysmal performance they will either come out guns blazing or wilt under the pressure again). The managment, especially Cuddy will be very unhappy with the investment ploughed in (I know the O&#39;s are making profit, but Cuddy invested in the core of the team before that).

The problem is, Gatland and Edwards have shown what is capable with the Ospreys team, shown that they can play in an organized and patient manner, yet for the O&#39;s they tend to play like headless chicken; a bunch of individuals. That is surely the coaches fault, he is the one who should mould them into a team, and Lyn has failed to do that.

stormmaster1
06-04-08, 09:26 PM
<div class='quotemain'>On Lyn Jones: he won&#39;t go if the Ospreys beat the tigers at the 4th attempt to get some silverware.[/b]

Not quite so sure. The Heineken was the main objective for the O&#39;s this year, the EDF will be scant consilation IF they manage to win (after todays abysmal performance they will either come out guns blazing or wilt under the pressure again). The managment, especially Cuddy will be very unhappy with the investment ploughed in (I know the O&#39;s are making profit, but Cuddy invested in the core of the team before that).

The problem is, Gatland and Edwards have shown what is capable with the Ospreys team, shown that they can play in an organized and patient manner, yet for the O&#39;s they tend to play like headless chicken; a bunch of individuals. That is surely the coaches fault, he is the one who should mould them into a team, and Lyn has failed to do that. [/b][/quote]

But his failings were there to see before. Silverware could prolong his stay.

Sir Speedy
06-04-08, 09:29 PM
After the Welsh Grand Slam success and the fact the Ospreys have been on fire these past few weeks, I&#39;m finding it hard how you think Lyn Jones has a chance at retaining his job by winning a worthless Cup after today&#39;s failing. :huh:

gingergenius
06-04-08, 09:58 PM
After the Welsh Grand Slam success and the fact the Ospreys have been on fire these past few weeks, I&#39;m finding it hard how you think Lyn Jones has a chance at retaining his job by winning a worthless Cup after today&#39;s failing. :huh:
[/b]

perhaps it&#39;s me but the Welsh seem to have a failing with patience for coaches.

I mean England are frustratingly the polar opposites but still....

I saw today a team with too many individuals, whose confidence had turned to arrogance and who didn&#39;t like it when the going got tough.

It&#39;s all very well playing outstanding rugby at the millennium stadium. Come to a ****ty stadium like Vicarage Road, in Watford on a snowy day and prove your real mettle. I don&#39;t mean to be harsh but the Ospreys played it like they expected Sarries to roll over and let them through... I know that&#39;s what the Wales guys got last time they were in London but it doesn&#39;t happen often.

The one big dick in the Ospreys team who seems to have sorted himself out is Gavin Henson. If you&#39;d told me in 2005 that the next time Wales won a Grand Slam he&#39;d be the one who didn&#39;t let it get to his head, and I&#39;d have slapped you. Gatland and Edwards have done a real treat on them. He was Wales&#39; 3rd best player in the 6N by such a long way. He&#39;s the best centre in Europe by such a long way. I can&#39;t tell you how much of a c*** I thought he was a few years ago, and how highly I rate him now. Perhaps if Gatland and Edwards now have a go at Hook (incidentally not even in the Wales team..) then he&#39;ll start playing properly again.

RC
06-04-08, 10:30 PM
Woah woah woah!

I haven&#39;t seen the game, so yeah, you may be right about the whole complacency thing.

But you cannot comment on the Lyn Jones issue. I mean, failing to have patience? Ospreys have only ever had one coach! We have long be promised more and more by Lyn and yet the only thing he can achieve is winning the Magners league (which isn&#39;t enough) and a promise that if we were good last year, we&#39;re gonna be **** this year.
Trust me, we are not being too hasty when we say Lyn Jones should be gotten rid of. The man is a Premiership coach not a regional one, he should not be guiding the likes of world class players such as Shane and Henson, Hook and Ryan Jones!
Think of how the Ospreys boys must feel after spending 6 weeks with Warren and co. only to go back to him...

http://cache.viewimages.com/xc/56451432.jpg?v=1&c=ViewImages&k=2&d=17A4AD9FDB9CF19390335F8FA9CA92A67BC6D440D2F432BA 6B49E290EC96DE79

Prestwick
06-04-08, 10:47 PM
But you cannot comment on the Lyn Jones issue. I mean, failing to have patience? Ospreys have only ever had one coach! [/b]

Exactly our point I..er...

http://img377.imageshack.us/img377/3198/erjr7.jpg

...I&#39;ll get back to you on that.

I haven&#39;t seen the game, so yeah, you may be right about the whole complacency thing.[/b]

It wasn&#39;t really blatant and obvious but it was little things like Ryan Jone&#39;s cheeky comment about us not scoring even if we were still playing now two weeks on. Also, they kept trying to skip the basics and be incredibly flash. Shane Williams straining out with his leg trying to land a Hook pass on his foot to chase when it never remotely looked on, Hook messing around in his own 22 with catching balls from behind, Byrne acting goalie, (some of) these kind of things are alright if you&#39;re playing for Wales with momentum and points on the board, but if your team are ten points down in the biggest match ever in your Region&#39;s post 1996 history then....well, the mind boggles.

Gatland and Edwards will have watched this game with worry. Ironically, Henson was the only Wales guy who knuckled down from the off and gave it his all, the others, including Ryan Jones were seriously caught on the hop and paid for it in 19 points shipped.

noikz
07-04-08, 12:49 PM
Leonelli&#39;s killer try:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=R6TR5s6Updo

redunderthebed
07-04-08, 01:05 PM
Hell yeah our conquest of europe shall go forward! :D

Jonah
07-04-08, 01:09 PM
I reckon there are more Kiwis than poms / welsh in both of teams

Prestwick
07-04-08, 01:19 PM
Jonah, only one kiwi on the field for Saracens today, and even he has British citizenship now! :lol:

Jer1cho
07-04-08, 01:29 PM
Man, that was wierd to watch with old laws. To be perfectly honest, i am starting to like these new ones... Something exciting happens, then the stupid ref stops play, and there is a goal kick. Awesome buid up, but no great flow finish...

Prestwick
07-04-08, 01:35 PM
What the hell are you talking about? It was a great game with sublime flow and it was riveting to watch! I did watch the &#39;new&#39; laws earlier however...by watching St Helens vs Hull FC in the Superleague...

Jer1cho
07-04-08, 01:46 PM
What the hell are you talking about? It was a great game with sublime flow and it was riveting to watch! I did watch the &#39;new&#39; laws earlier however...by watching St Helens vs Hull FC in the Superleague...
[/b]

Uh, i never said it was&#39;nt good. Just got me frustrated at so many stopages. I thought it was an awesome game.

SaintsFan_Webby
07-04-08, 01:49 PM
In even more good news for Saracens, Andy Farrell put himself out for the rest of the season. Now they have no excuse not to play someone decent like Powell over a guy who seems to only make the team because of the cash splashed out on him.

Prestwick
07-04-08, 01:55 PM
Indeed, and as more good news, new guys like Don Barrell, Noah Cato and Alex Goode have good chances of starting in the First XV for the remaining GP games or making the bench. If Leonelli is still injured by the 27th, what are the chances of Cato being on the bench as a replacement for Scarborough?

EDIT: Just phoned up Matt at work to inform him of how much of a loser he and his team is and indeed are.

redunderthebed
07-04-08, 04:41 PM
all is well :D

Prestwick
07-04-08, 04:42 PM
all is well :D [/b]

The birds are singing...

Bullitt
07-04-08, 04:43 PM
EDIT: Just phoned up Matt at work to inform him of how much of a loser he and his team is and indeed are. [/b]

:bravo:

f0n3d

RC
07-04-08, 09:15 PM
Honestly! I was coming to the end of my shift when my boss haneded me the phone raising his eyebrows.
I answered cautiously, unsure of whether i was going to have an angry kooga/canterbury rep on my ass when all of a sudden i get some londoner mocking me. For quite a while!
*******!

I reckon there are more Kiwis than poms / welsh in both of teams [/b]

Wow, such a valid contribution!
Stop sticking your head into topics with the purpose of trying to stir up **** when you know f*** all about what&#39;s going on, ok?
You&#39;ve only gone and made a fool of yourself. :lol:

Prestwick
07-04-08, 09:16 PM
*sings to &#39;Bread of Heaven&#39; at RC*

Who beat the Ospreys
Who beat the Ospreys
Whooo beeeeaaaat theeee oooosspreeeeys?

Theeee miiiightyyy Saaaraaaacens!

It was pretty awesome phoning up RC at work and even though he pleaded with me to call back after he leaves work next week, I pledged to annoy him tomorrow too.

gjohn85
08-04-08, 10:04 AM
Congrats to Sarries, you where the better team & deserved the win.

This game is the reason that Lyn Jones has to go. He has got any man management skill, His tactics where completely wrong, handling errors where woeful & they never looked much threatening on the attack.

I think Jones is a decent coach but there he should be an assistant coach.

I Bleed Black
10-04-08, 07:52 PM
Well ***** me.....

What a great game.... and though I have neither the insight of RC or Prestwick in relation to knowing the teams. It was amazing to be at the game and to witness a packed out stadium full of rocking fans.

Saracens truly stood up and some of those hits going in on defense had me out of my chair. Impressive performance considering they were playing half a Grand Slam winning team.

All the best Sarries... May see you at the final!