+ Post a Reply

• England
    • 1,260 posts
    • Mentioned
      4 Post(s)
    Bath

Proposals to restructure the Champ's and Challenge cups

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/rugby-uni...xtures-change/

EPCR want to play all 6 pool rounds on the trot, in December and January - pushing back the 6N by a couple of weeks.
    I agree entirely, though I'm not sure why they want the 6N pushed back (not that I object to that bit either) and have long advocated 2 blocks of 3 weeks, rather than 3 blocks of 2. The only real question (for me) is player welfare playing that increased intensity for 6 weeks.
    A man who cannot change his mind, cannot change anything
    Like this topic? Share it:

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

• New Zealand
    • 6,863 posts
    • Mentioned
      12 Post(s)
    Leinster
    Trying to fix their own **** up in the way they scheduled the knockout stages is all this is. Don't fancy it, rounds 3 and 4 are the best part of this competition and you lose the intensity with that format.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tigs Man View Post
    Ringrose is a talent

• England
    • 519 posts
    • Mentioned
      0 Post(s)
    Harlequins
    Smacks of A) knee-jerk reaction to diminished interest last season following the WC and B ) attempting to mask their utter failure to promote their charges (the competitions) in any way whatsoever.

Overall and in my excessively lofty opinion, they want more cash from the telly God.

They can go to hell until they start drumming up some interest outside of the week in week-out fans.
    Last edited by Ddanno; 14-10-16 at 05:00 PM.
    "There are plenty of chips in England. Whenever you buy a meal there are chips on the side. I donít have to go looking for chips too hard"

• England
    • 996 posts
    • Mentioned
      0 Post(s)
    I'm sure the various league sponsors would be thrilled to have a 6 week mid season hibernation in addition to the diminished fixtures during international windows. (Can't access the article so may be talking rubbish).

Wish rugby leant itself to midweek fixtures. Then again with modern squad sizes maybe it could.

Referee Coach and Advisor

• New Zealand
    • 4,877 posts
    • Mentioned
      59 Post(s)
    Tasman
    What a stoopid idea. They want to play the pool stages and quarters in a 7 week block, and then have a four month gap to the semis and finals, and they think this will help with momentum? It will kill momentum!!

Why not go the whole hog and just run the Aviva/Pro12/Top14 to a conclusion earlier in the season (during which teams qualify for the RCC/Challenge Cup) then have the whole EC in a nine week block at the end of the season?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Old Hooker View Post
    I'm sure the various league sponsors would be thrilled to have a 6 week mid season hibernation in addition to the diminished fixtures during international windows. (Can't access the article so may be talking rubbish).

Wish rugby leant itself to midweek fixtures. Then again with modern squad sizes maybe it could.
    We do that with the Mitre 10 Cup because we have to fit a 12 week competition (10xRR + S + F) into 11 weeks. Ten rounds are played in nine weeks by, each week, having two teams take a turn playing a midweek fixture with two four day turnarounds on the trot (usually Saturday - Wednesday - Sunday)
    Last edited by smartcooky; 14-10-16 at 09:00 PM.
    If you don't like my posts, my opinions, or my directness, or if your perception is that I post biased views, then put me on your ignore list.
    This will be of benefit to both of us; you won't have to take umbrage at my posts, and I won't have to waste my time talking to you... simples!

• Germany
    • 341 posts
    • Mentioned
      1 Post(s)
    Perpignan
    The break between the group stage and the knock-out stage is too long as it is, increasing it makes it even worse. Just as the June Internationals make it hard to care about the rest of the regular season in Super Rugby (and to some extent the play-offs), the long wait for the quarter finals really doesn't help. I principally like having weekend fixtures only, but it stretches everything out far too much.
    USA Perpignan and Melbourne Rebels supporter

• New Zealand
    • 119 posts
    • Mentioned
      0 Post(s)
    Germany
    Quote Originally Posted by Which Tyler View Post
    The only real question (for me) is player welfare playing that increased intensity for 6 weeks.
    In contrast to say, the AI's or RWC's, which are nicely interspersed with low-intensity rugby for the sake of player welfare? Is this really an issue?

• England
    • 3 posts
    • Mentioned
      0 Post(s)
    Saracens
    Quote Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
    What a stoopid idea. They want to play the pool stages and quarters in a 7 week block, and then have a four month gap to the semis and finals, and they think this will help with momentum? It will kill momentum!!

Why not go the whole hog and just run the Aviva/Pro12/Top14 to a conclusion earlier in the season (during which teams qualify for the RCC/Challenge Cup) then have the whole EC in a nine week block at the end of the season?

- - - Updated - - -

We do that with the Mitre 10 Cup because we have to fit a 12 week competition (10xRR + S + F) into 11 weeks. Ten rounds are played in nine weeks by, each week, having two teams take a turn playing a midweek fixture with two four day turnarounds on the trot (usually Saturday - Wednesday - Sunday)
    Great idea and one I created a season structure with.

My idea would be to remove June internationals and play them as one block in Sept and Oct, the same time as the RWC, followed by domestic leagues, then 6N, then euro clubs.

+ Post a Reply
To reply to this topic you just need to register for a user name (it's free!)
Already a member? You need to login at the top right of this page to post a reply.