+ Post a Reply

• New Zealand
    • 3,067 posts
    • Mentioned
      10 Post(s)
    New Zealand

2017 Blues squad named

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/s...r-rugby-season

Dare I say it, but this looks a particularly strong Blues squad, particularly with Augustine Pulu at half back, and SBW in the midfield , lots of other exciting additions, and many players from their regions. Auckland came close to the NPC semi finals this year, Counties were in the premiership semifinals, and North Harbour won the Championship
    Like this topic? Share it:

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

• New Zealand
    • 241 posts
    • Mentioned
      0 Post(s)
    Blues
    Where is lolagi Visinia?

• New Zealand
    • 3,067 posts
    • Mentioned
      10 Post(s)
    New Zealand
    Quote Originally Posted by jessta View Post
    Where is lolagi Visinia?
    Good question; I know he is off contract, and has also been quite injury prone, limiting his chances for Auckland in the Mitre 10 cup. He's not listed with the other departing players either. Maybe he's in the development squad ... Tried a google search, but didn't come up with anything really

• England
    • 2,105 posts
    • Mentioned
      6 Post(s)
    British Irish Lions
    http://www.planetrugby.com/news/toul...-winning-prop/

I see Faumuina's signing with Toulouse has been confirmed for 2017/18. Big loss for the Blues and ABs.

• New Zealand
    • 1,755 posts
    • Mentioned
      6 Post(s)
    New Zealand
    Whats happening with Tuipulotu?
    Has he had some kind of mental breakdown?

Super Moderator

• New Zealand
    • 7,535 posts
    • Mentioned
      13 Post(s)
    Hurricanes
    Quote Originally Posted by The Jones Boy View Post
    Whats happening with Tuipulotu?
    Has he had some kind of mental breakdown?
    Apparently looks like he might have taken PED's.

• 7 posts
    • Mentioned
      0 Post(s)
    [QUOTE=jessta;821715]Where is lolagi Visinia?[/QUOTE Hopefully he has given up rugby.... Will win you 2 games but cost you 4
    When will Rugby Refs be accountable

• New Zealand
    • 2,720 posts
    • Mentioned
      7 Post(s)
    strongest blues squad in a long time. Blues finished last season arguably the strongest team, that makes them a serious threat this year.

I would almost bet my house on SBW having a good season. The long layoff has probably done him some good. Pulu & Manu are also very good signings.

The Visinia thing is interesting. I think the guy has huge potential but yes obviously is prone to some errors.

Much will depend on Ihaia West.

IMO going from their form late last season and the signings made in the off season they are arguably looking like the strongest NZ team.

Much will depend on Ihaia West. because willing super rugby requires a genuine world class 10, I think west has been slow to establish himself in super rugby but did finally show he has what it takes the later half of last year. he genuinely looked on a level with the big 3 (Crud, Barrett, Lima).
    "The laughing bear, drives a motorcycle" - Israel Dagg, Sep - 2011
    Cometh the hour, cometh the Don!

• New Zealand
    • 2,720 posts
    • Mentioned
      7 Post(s)
    seeing double

• New Zealand
    • 1,755 posts
    • Mentioned
      6 Post(s)
    New Zealand
    Quote Originally Posted by Larksea View Post
    strongest blues squad in a long time. Blues finished last season arguably the strongest team, that makes them a serious threat this year.

I would almost bet my house on SBW having a good season. The long layoff has probably done him some good. Pulu & Manu are also very good signings.

The Visinia thing is interesting. I think the guy has huge potential but yes obviously is prone to some errors.

Much will depend on Ihaia West.

IMO going from their form late last season and the signings made in the off season they are arguably looking like the strongest NZ team.

Much will depend on Ihaia West. because willing super rugby requires a genuine world class 10, I think west has been slow to establish himself in super rugby but did finally show he has what it takes the later half of last year. he genuinely looked on a level with the big 3 (Crud, Barrett, Lima).
    SBW is a huge boost for the Blues. He's a calm professional and he will rally the youngsters.
    Tana has been building toward better results. Last season we finished last from the Kiwi franchises, again, but we were no easy beats anymore and we could have nicked a few of those games against Kiwi opposition.

• 7 posts
    • Mentioned
      0 Post(s)
    Yeah Its a better squad, however they played their best two games last year when it didnt mean anything...that worries me. Trouble is like THE JONES BOY said, there are no easy games.... at tleast this year there is a chance that all 5 teams form NZ make it, unlike last year.
    When will Rugby Refs be accountable

• New Zealand
    • 1,755 posts
    • Mentioned
      6 Post(s)
    New Zealand
    Its a new season and one where Tana has his troops bedded in now and a platform to go forward from.
    The Blues were the last of the 5 Kiwi franchises last year, but there wasn't a lot in it.
    If they can turn some of the home results around then it will change everything because they will find themselves still in some kind of touch with the leading pack at the halfway stage instead of being out of sight down the back straight playing for pride with a lot of travelling to get through.
    Early games, like the first up match with the Rebels away in Melbourne are a must win target for the troubled franchise.
    Tana needs to get another 10 points this season (including at least one win more than last season against Kiwi opposition) on top of what the Blues managed last season. That might only put them in 4th out of 5 positions in their own conference but a little incremental growth is a big step in such a difficult league. It gives them something to build on again for the next season as the kids grow into their roles.
    Last edited by The Jones Boy; 16-02-17 at 05:21 PM.

• New Zealand
    • 1,755 posts
    • Mentioned
      6 Post(s)
    New Zealand
    Yeah yeah I know its only pre-season but...
    This came without Jerome Kaino, Sonny Bill Williams, Patrick Tuipulotu and James Parsons

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/s...in-over-chiefs

• New Zealand
    • 2,720 posts
    • Mentioned
      7 Post(s)
    Chiefs missing some key players too but my early feeling is that the blues are going to make the finals this year, be top 2 in the NZ conference.

Tana's influence is clearly starting to make a positive impact and the squad is looking stronger, arguably the strongest squad on paper right now.

lock is going to be interesting, They have PTP but they need a couple more players to stand up. I rate Tupou, good potential but this year will be a big test for him. Will be interesting to see what they do at fullback, I wonder if Nanai will get a run there on a regular basis. They have lots of options in Midfield which may force the likes of Moala or Ranger out to the wing. O’Donnell is an interesting signing, looked pretty good in the 10's.

• England
    • 2,105 posts
    • Mentioned
      6 Post(s)
    British Irish Lions
    I don't rate West at Fly half: too inconsistent. Blues aren't going improve a great deal without a decent flyhalf.

• New Zealand
    • 2,720 posts
    • Mentioned
      7 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Blindside View Post
    I don't rate West at Fly half: too inconsistent. Blues aren't going improve a great deal without a decent flyhalf.
    West has potential. He was very good towards the end of last year. its fair to say that he has taken his time to get up to speed at super level but they guy has the goods. Out played the likes of Cruden & Barrett at times last year. having SBW there is going to be a big bonus for West. With the depth the squad has if west struggles Francis is likely to get a go. He was very impressive at 12 last season.

• New Zealand
    • 1,755 posts
    • Mentioned
      6 Post(s)
    New Zealand
    He's only young, he's maturing into the role. He certainly has talent. Tana must rate him because he's still in the mix. I'm worried that size wise he's a bit little.

• South Africa
    • 1,976 posts
    • Mentioned
      1 Post(s)
    Stormers
    Would we see SBW and RR as centers and 1st choices?
    That could be awesome

• South Africa
    • 826 posts
    • Mentioned
      7 Post(s)
    Stormers
    Quote Originally Posted by Gena_ZA View Post
    Would we see SBW and RR as centers and 1st choices?
    That could be awesome
    I wonder if it was between Moala and Ranger who would play 13 and who would shift to the wing? I would guess Moala at 13, which is still pretty sexy.

+ Post a Reply
To reply to this topic you just need to register for a user name (it's free!)
Already a member? You need to login at the top right of this page to post a reply.