George North's Concussion

+ Post a Reply

• England
    • 1,037 posts
    • Mentioned
      3 Post(s)
    Bath

George North's Concussion

Sorry, I can't remember which thread we were discussing it in; and there's no obvious thread titles; so I thought I'd start a new one.
    IRB feedback: http://www.worldrugby.org/news/215539
    Please note, I've only started skim reading it - and it look like my home-made theory about the HIA just being an excuse to assess GN's neck with the HIA being a tick-box formality was pretty close to the mark.

The robust head injury protocols defined within the Tournament Player Welfare Standards were not fully adhered to at the match in question. Prioritisation by the medical staff given to evaluating a potential spinal injury to North, was advanced as the principal reason for the non-compliance of head injury protocols.
    The non-application of the protocols resulted in North not being immediately and permanently removed from the field of play as he should have been, without requiring a Head Injury Assessment (HIA).
    Last edited by Which Tyler; 09-01-17 at 02:58 PM.
    A man who cannot change his mind, cannot change anything
    Like this topic? Share it:

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

• England
    • 2,670 posts
    • Mentioned
      8 Post(s)
    Bath
    I find it astonishing that Saints seriously thought they could pretend he passed the assessment or wasn't knocked out. Shameful.
    What is the sin bin? Is it some kind of Catholic skip area?

• England
    • 1,519 posts
    • Mentioned
      0 Post(s)
    Northampton
    Quote Originally Posted by ragerancher View Post
    I find it astonishing that Saints seriously thought they could pretend he passed the assessment or wasn't knocked out. Shameful.
    If you've ever seen a player interviewed about the HIA they all state you can pass these easily after being unconscious . That's why they brought in the camera replays, but they weren't working because of tigers crappy wifi.
    This is my signature. I really should change it.

• England
    • 1,037 posts
    • Mentioned
      3 Post(s)
    Bath
    Quote Originally Posted by living sacrifice View Post
    If you've ever seen a player interviewed about the HIA they all state you can pass these easily after being unconscious . That's why they brought in the camera replays, but they weren't working because of tigers crappy wifi.
    If you believe that story about the wifi - which the IRB clearly don't; given that tehy don't mention the wifi "issues" at all, but do specifically state that Saints medical staff were busy assessing GN's neck when they should have been carrying out the HIA - which even Saint's medical staff say wasn't completed properly (allegedly because of a completely unprovable wifi issue... and the medic who's one job was to stay put and watch a screen, but went AWOL instead)

• England
    • 1,519 posts
    • Mentioned
      0 Post(s)
    Northampton
    Quote Originally Posted by Which Tyler View Post
    If you believe that story about the wifi - which the IRB clearly don't; given that tehy don't mention the wifi "issues" at all, but do specifically state that Saints medical staff were busy assessing GN's neck when they should have been carrying out the HIA - which even Saint's medical staff say wasn't completed properly (allegedly because of a completely unprovable wifi issue... and the medic who's one job was to stay put and watch a screen, but went AWOL instead)
    Think you're looking for a conspiracy that's not there.
    This is my signature. I really should change it.

• England
    • 1,037 posts
    • Mentioned
      3 Post(s)
    Bath
    That or I'm not defending my club because they're my club and I'm biased.

Which part of my comment do you think isn't true? Did the IRB mention the failed wifi? or did they not mention that the HIA was very much secondary to the neck assessment? or maybe Saints' medical staff haven't said that GN shouldn't have returned to the pitch? or maybe the HIA wasn't rushed after all, merely taking approximately half the usual time despite being a secondary concern.

My criticisms have nothing to do with club loyalties; my concern is for player safety - I've condemned my club in the past (before there even were HIAs) for leaving concussed players on the pitch; and condemned my club in the very same weekend (IIRC) for doing basically the same thing with Taulupe Faletau and using an HIA as an excuse to examine him for a different injury (eye) and not treating the HIA with the respect it deserves. Fortunately in that example, Faletau wasn't concussed, and there was no video evidence that he had lost consciousness.

+ Post a Reply
To reply to this topic you just need to register for a user name (it's free!)
Already a member? You need to login at the top right of this page to post a reply.