Six Nations rest weekends are unnecessary and spoil the tournament - discuss

+ Post a Reply
  1. #1
    Junior Member

    • England
    • 3 posts
    • Joined: Feb 2017
    • Mentioned
      0 Post(s)
    Harlequins

    Six Nations rest weekends are unnecessary and spoil the tournament - discuss

    1. Rest weekends mean the tournament loses all momentum just when itís hitting peak intensity. Incredibly disruptive, deflating and drawn-out.
    2. They mean players are away from clubs for an unnecessarily long period.
    3. They are unnecessary because if itís all about the 22 and not the 15, then we should be reconciled to injuries keeping players out of the 22 as well as the 15. If you can't recover in a week, well it's hard lines.
    4. If you must have some sort of rest system, then have three matches on the first and last weekends, with two matches on every weekend in between. At least then the tournament doesnít die for a fortnight. Twice.
    Like this topic? Share it:

  2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement
    Join Date
    Always
    Posts
    Many
     

  3. #2
    Senior Member

    Which Tyler's Avatar

    • England
    • 1,144 posts
    • Joined: Nov 2015
    • From: Tewkesbury
    • Mentioned
      3 Post(s)
    Bath
    I like rest weekends as they allow teams and coaches to regroup and rethink. Player welfare is also important to me.
    I'm much less fond of there being 2 rest weekends, with only 1 match between them; so I'd happily experiment with doing away with the first one; so a bout of 3 matches, a rest, then the final 2. It's certainly an experiment that makes more sense than bonus points.
    A man who cannot change his mind, cannot change anything

  4. #3
    Junior Member

    • Ireland
    • 12 posts
    • Joined: Feb 2017
    • Mentioned
      1 Post(s)
    I agree that a week off, 1 week of games, then another week off is too much. Though I say that as a spectator. I understand player welfare and it must be grueling to be training week in and week out, in addition to getting battered in front of 70,000 people. The week off also allows, as mentioned, for coaches and players to regroup and re-assess themselves and also just grab a general breather. I am in favour of a 1 week break. I mean, the WC is week after week, so surely having less breaks in our European tournament only conditions the teams to withstand the intensity of the WC?

  5. #4
    Senior Member

    Tallshort's Avatar

    • Poland
    • 4,024 posts
    • Joined: Jul 2011
    • From: Nottingham
    • Mentioned
      5 Post(s)
    Leicester
    You need them for the players sake and they should continue for that reason alone.

  6. #5
    Junior Member

    • England
    • 3 posts
    • Joined: Feb 2017
    • Mentioned
      0 Post(s)
    Harlequins
    But player welfare need not be put at risk - you just accept that many players will not play every game, an approach that has already gained traction anyway.
    You do I suppose run the risk of players self-certifying their fitness to play, when they aren't, but surely in the modern age of highly professional fitness, physio and medical staff that's v improbable?

  7. #6
    Member

    Goodey's Avatar

    • 89 posts
    • Joined: Mar 2013
    • From: The last place you look
    • Mentioned
      0 Post(s)
    Leicester
    I'm not going to make the players have an even more intense schedule than they currently have, but do agree that it kills the momentum of the tournament.

    Having two games each week is an interesting idea. Then there's always some rugby to follow and players if anything get more time off. The problem is that it's a bit unfair to have your rests at the ends of the championship if other teams get them in the middle.

    Example tournament

    Week 1: Scotland v Ireland, England v France

    Week 2: Italy v Wales, France v Scotland

    Week 3: Wales v England, Italy v Ireland

    Week 4: Ireland v France, England v Italy

    Week 5: Scotland v Wales, Italy v France

    Week 6: England v Scotland, Wales v Ireland

    Week 7: Scotland v Italy, France v Wales, Ireland v England

    So using the order of this years' draw, Italy would play 4 weeks in a row with breaks in week 1 and 6, while England would have breaks in weeks 2 and 5 and so have a happy 2 back to back fixtures at most.

  8. #7
    Junior Member

    • England
    • 3 posts
    • Joined: Feb 2017
    • Mentioned
      0 Post(s)
    Harlequins
    Quote Originally Posted by Goodey View Post
    The problem is that it's a bit unfair to have your rests at the ends of the championship if other teams get them in the middle.
    Yes agreed not perfect, but not a terrible idea? If I remember correctly did there used to be - at one time - no break in the Five Nations, because one team got a break each weekend anyway?

    For me possibly the biggest downside of my devil's advocate 'no break' option, is that it will widen the pool of players too far: you end up diluting a teams' identity and cohesion cos the personnel is constantly changing and unsettled.
    Last edited by Ravenglass; 15-02-17 at 01:34 PM.

  9. #8
    Senior Member

    The Alpha Bro's Avatar

    • Ireland
    • 6,361 posts
    • Joined: Dec 2010
    • From: Toulouse, so far from Gary! :(
    • Mentioned
      11 Post(s)
    Leinster
    Asking any side to play three tier 1 internationals in 15 days is too much just look at the AI's, Aus and SA were awful in their third and foirth games even by their standards and NZ weren't up to the standard they expect against France. This would make luck of the draw an even bigger factor than it already is.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tigs Man View Post
    Ringrose is a talent

  10. #9
    Senior Member

    • England
    • 937 posts
    • Joined: Sep 2015
    • Mentioned
      0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Goodey View Post
    I'm not going to make the players have an even more intense schedule than they currently have, but do agree that it kills the momentum of the tournament.

    Having two games each week is an interesting idea. Then there's always some rugby to follow and players if anything get more time off. The problem is that it's a bit unfair to have your rests at the ends of the championship if other teams get them in the middle.

    Example tournament

    Week 1: Scotland v Ireland, England v France

    Week 2: Italy v Wales, France v Scotland

    Week 3: Wales v England, Italy v Ireland

    Week 4: Ireland v France, England v Italy

    Week 5: Scotland v Wales, Italy v France

    Week 6: England v Scotland, Wales v Ireland

    Week 7: Scotland v Italy, France v Wales, Ireland v England

    So using the order of this years' draw, Italy would play 4 weeks in a row with breaks in week 1 and 6, while England would have breaks in weeks 2 and 5 and so have a happy 2 back to back fixtures at most.
    Of course the old 5 Nations games used to be every fortnight. I didn't mind that, it's the uneven rhythm of the current tournament I don't like.

    Really like Goodey's suggestion of 2 matches per week for 6 weeks followed by 3 on the last week.

    If you played over 5 consecutive weeks would player welfare really be that much of an issue? Its an intense period for sure, that's why they call them test matches, but provided player's workloads are controlled over longer periods, then why not? 2/3rds of the players in any match day squad are either going to be subs or likely to be subbed, so won't be playing whole games. And wouldn't playing consecutively mean far less emphasis on the physical during training? And is playing on 5 consecutive weekends really so bad anyway for top professionals with access to the very best medics and facilities?

  11. #10
    Senior Member

    • Germany
    • 274 posts
    • Joined: Mar 2015
    • From: Germany
    • Mentioned
      1 Post(s)
    Perpignan
    Wouldn't it make more sense to give them some rest before and after the tournament?
    USA Perpignan and Melbourne Rebels supporter

  12. #11
    Senior Member

    Which Tyler's Avatar

    • England
    • 1,144 posts
    • Joined: Nov 2015
    • From: Tewkesbury
    • Mentioned
      3 Post(s)
    Bath
    Quote Originally Posted by Ravenglass View Post
    But player welfare need not be put at risk - you just accept that many players will not play every game, an approach that has already gained traction anyway.
    You do I suppose run the risk of players self-certifying their fitness to play, when they aren't, but surely in the modern age of highly professional fitness, physio and medical staff that's v improbable?
    Errr... what? so you want ever larger squads, giving ever more advantage to England (and France) over the others? Quite apart from that; you'd be simply wrong if you're expecting coaches to rest a player because they're tired - what you'd actually see, is the same players playing the same number of games, carrying injury and tiredness, with the rugby becoming a competition of who can stay on their feet the longest (or have enough depth to actually replace the knackered - which is only England and France).

    As for your improbable statement - I can only assume that you haven't been following rugby for long. Players self-certifying as fit when they're not is a problem spanning the last several decades; and the professionalism of medical staff is completely irrelevant to the situation; especially if they're being lied to by players who don't want someone else taking their place (and appearance money) from them.
    A man who cannot change his mind, cannot change anything

  13. #12
    Senior Member

    • England
    • 937 posts
    • Joined: Sep 2015
    • Mentioned
      0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Alpha Bro View Post
    Asking any side to play three tier 1 internationals in 15 days is too much just look at the AI's, Aus and SA were awful in their third and foirth games even by their standards and NZ weren't up to the standard they expect against France. This would make luck of the draw an even bigger factor than it already is.
    Isn't that more to do with the AIs being at the fag end of the SH season when everyone's knackered and meaningless in the context of a competition? Players generally seem to do OK in RWCs where the games come thick and fast. It's just that they've prepared properly for them.

+ Post a Reply
To reply to this topic you just need to register for a user name (it's free!)
Already a member? You need to login at the top right of this page to post a reply.