Good idea for axed SA Super rugby teams to join Pro12?

+ Post a Reply
  1. #1
    Senior Member

    unrated's Avatar

    • South Africa
    • 319 posts
    • Joined: Dec 2010
    • Mentioned
      2 Post(s)
    Sharks

    Good idea for axed SA Super rugby teams to join Pro12?

    http://www.sport24.co.za/Rugby/Super...poser-20170419

    This guy is making an interesting point. I personally think it's great idea that if the Cheetahs and kings get axed to join the pro 12. That's if the pro 12 is willing to take them. Saru can then focus their money in the remaining 4 teams in super rugby while the cheetahs and kings will be generating their own tv income. I'm sure pro 12 matches will be popular in Sa if a South African side is involved. The Cheethas will also be very competitive in such a league. This seems like a win win situation as surely there would be added interest from home fans of the pro 12 to see two Super rugby sides play against their clubs.
    Like this topic? Share it:

  2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement
    Join Date
    Always
    Posts
    Many
     

  3. #2
    RIP #J9

    TRF_heineken's Avatar

    • South Africa
    • 8,253 posts
    • Joined: Apr 2010
    • From: Polokwane, South Africa
    • Mentioned
      47 Post(s)
    South Africa
    Utopia...

    It sounds very nice but I think it's more complicated than that. I don't think SARU, as an entity can sign a contract with whoever is in charge of the PRO12, while SARU is still under contract with SANZAAR. This is a clear conflict of interests, and could lead to a financial, administration, and legal nightmare should this happen.

    Remember that the Kings and the Cheetahs in this context are SUPER RUGBY FRANCHISES. They have an obligation towards SANZAAR and SARU. They were created with the sole purpose of competing in the Super Rugby tournament. essentially they belong to Super Rugby.

    I think there is a lot more speedbumps to get over before this will happen...

  4. #3
    Senior Member

    Bruce_ma_goose's Avatar

    • Scotland
    • 1,163 posts
    • Joined: Jun 2016
    • Mentioned
      3 Post(s)
    Italy
    Probably completely fanciful and the travelling would be a pain. But at least fans of rugby in South Africa could see games at normal kickoff times against some of the strongest sides in Europe in the league with the highest concentration of test players in the league.

    Pro12 seem to be holding out for some impossible dream of a competitive team joining with loads of money behind it at a time when they are failing to find buyers for Edinburgh and NG Dragons. I think they'd be sceptical of what two "second string" SA sides can bring to the table financially.

    The guy quoted in the article clearly has a vested interest, but he is right on one point. It wouldn't hurt the SA negotiating position to show that they had a viable alternative to Super Rugby.

  5. #4
    Senior Member

    • New Zealand
    • 1,844 posts
    • Joined: Nov 2013
    • From: Currently residing in London, UK
    • Mentioned
      6 Post(s)
    New Zealand
    South African super rugby home games are at normal times

  6. #5
    RIP #J9

    TRF_heineken's Avatar

    • South Africa
    • 8,253 posts
    • Joined: Apr 2010
    • From: Polokwane, South Africa
    • Mentioned
      47 Post(s)
    South Africa
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruce_ma_goose View Post
    Probably completely fanciful and the travelling would be a pain. But at least fans of rugby in South Africa could see games at normal kickoff times against some of the strongest sides in Europe in the league with the highest concentration of test players in the league.

    Pro12 seem to be holding out for some impossible dream of a competitive team joining with loads of money behind it at a time when they are failing to find buyers for Edinburgh and NG Dragons. I think they'd be sceptical of what two "second string" SA sides can bring to the table financially.

    The guy quoted in the article clearly has a vested interest, but he is right on one point. It wouldn't hurt the SA negotiating position to show that they had a viable alternative to Super Rugby.
    How would travelling be more of a pain than in Super Rugby? The travelling to Europe is a shorter flight and there is no jetlag to contend with from South Africa. And if we enter 2 teams, the possibility could be that they are in the same pool, and then the European teams will have a 2 week tour to SA. Which is basically the same as what the NZ and AUS teams have now.

    As for times. That has never really been a problem for the fans. My typical Saturday starts with I wake up around 7 am, make some coffee, and then get clean and dressed, with the first game usually starting just after 8 am if they play in NZ/Japan. If they play in Australia, it's usually around 11 am - 2 pm, so it's perfect when you're having a midday braai, and is a good "warm-up" match for the local games which starts at 3 pm with the last one usually starting at 8 pm. The games in Argentina is sometimes a bit more difficult as it runs between 10 pm up to 2 am...

    So travelling and times isn't going to be factors if they are going to consider this at all...

  7. #6
    Senior Member

    saulan's Avatar

    • South Africa
    • 643 posts
    • Joined: Feb 2012
    • Mentioned
      11 Post(s)
    Stormers
    Quote Originally Posted by TRF_heineken View Post
    And if we enter 2 teams, the possibility could be that they are in the same pool, and then the European teams will have a 2 week tour to SA.
    That assumes that the Pro12 would switch to a grouped tournament, which I don't think they'd want to do. Right now it is home and away everyone playing everyone. I don't think they would sacrifice their structure for our leftover Super Rugby teams.

    Again, for the travel side of things, it would be less travel for the SA teams, but for the current Pro 12 teams, that's a significant increase in travel that they have not had to deal with in the past. I think that there wouldn't be an issue with the affordability of it because, well, European clubs have money, but they may use it as an obstacle for the plan on the side player fatigue or something like that.

  8. #7
    RIP #J9

    TRF_heineken's Avatar

    • South Africa
    • 8,253 posts
    • Joined: Apr 2010
    • From: Polokwane, South Africa
    • Mentioned
      47 Post(s)
    South Africa
    Quote Originally Posted by saulan View Post
    That assumes that the Pro12 would switch to a grouped tournament, which I don't think they'd want to do. Right now it is home and away everyone playing everyone. I don't think they would sacrifice their structure for our leftover Super Rugby teams.

    Again, for the travel side of things, it would be less travel for the SA teams, but for the current Pro 12 teams, that's a significant increase in travel that they have not had to deal with in the past. I think that there wouldn't be an issue with the affordability of it because, well, European clubs have money, but they may use it as an obstacle for the plan on the side player fatigue or something like that.
    Well, yeah, that's my thinking if they expand...

    But if they leave their structure as it is now, then the possibility is even more possible of having the NH teams having a 2 week tour in SA.

  9. #8
    Senior Member

    unrated's Avatar

    • South Africa
    • 319 posts
    • Joined: Dec 2010
    • Mentioned
      2 Post(s)
    Sharks
    The Cheetahs are only a Super Rugby franchise until they get kicked out. They said once a decision has been reached they will explore all available options. The pro 12 is a option if they are keen to change the tournament a bit. Surely the addition of a Super Rugby team will create extra fan interest in the pro 12 and in South Africa. All the teams will benefit from the extra TV money that they will receive and fans that never watched this tournament might develop an interest. If the Cheetahs don't join another tournament and only keep on playing in the Currie cup the they will become nothing more than the likes of the griquas and the Pumas, all their players will leave. I think the Cheetahs leadership knows this and will try and make a plan.

    the Currie cup will also get more attention as it could pit some of the big four SA Super rugby sides vs a financially stable pro 12 cheetahs side who can afford to keep their players. The Cheetahs has always had some of the best players but then they get bought by one of the big four in Sa. If the Cheetahs can pull this of them not only will they be competitive in the pro 12 but also back at home.
    Even though to me it seems like it will benefit all parties involved it still depends on the pro 12 organizers willingness to accommodate a Super Rugby team.

  10. #9
    RIP #J9

    TRF_heineken's Avatar

    • South Africa
    • 8,253 posts
    • Joined: Apr 2010
    • From: Polokwane, South Africa
    • Mentioned
      47 Post(s)
    South Africa
    Quote Originally Posted by unrated View Post
    The Cheetahs are only a Super Rugby franchise until they get kicked out. They said once a decision has been reached they will explore all available options. The pro 12 is a option if they are keen to change the tournament a bit. Surely the addition of a Super Rugby team will create extra fan interest in the pro 12 and in South Africa. All the teams will benefit from the extra TV money that they will receive and fans that never watched this tournament might develop an interest. If the Cheetahs don't join another tournament and only keep on playing in the Currie cup the they will become nothing more than the likes of the griquas and the Pumas, all their players will leave. I think the Cheetahs leadership knows this and will try and make a plan.

    the Currie cup will also get more attention as it could pit some of the big four SA Super rugby sides vs a financially stable pro 12 cheetahs side who can afford to keep their players. The Cheetahs has always had some of the best players but then they get bought by one of the big four in Sa. If the Cheetahs can pull this of them not only will they be competitive in the pro 12 but also back at home.
    Even though to me it seems like it will benefit all parties involved it still depends on the pro 12 organizers willingness to accommodate a Super Rugby team.
    I think when the Lions were replaced by the Kings in 2013, they provided a good model of what to do if you get "relegated" from Super Rugby. The Cheetahs should use that model, and maybe try to improve on it. If they can't join another tournament, maybe have some sort of tour all by themselves.

+ Post a Reply
To reply to this topic you just need to register for a user name (it's free!)
Already a member? You need to login at the top right of this page to post a reply.