• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

08-09 Gloucester Line-up

O

ollybarkley

Any other Gloscester fans see this as a possible line-up for this season for Gloucester

How's this for a Gloucester line-up for this season...

1) Nick Wood
2) Jeremy Paul
3) Nieto
4) Bortolami
5) A.Brown
6) Narraway
7) Qera
8) Delve
9) Cooper
10) Lamb
11) Vanikolo
12) Barkley
13) Allen
14) Simpson-Daniel
15) Morgan

16) ***terall
17) Collazo
18) P. Buxton
19) Strokosch
20) Lawson
21) Tindall
22) W.Walker

Unused subs
Azam
W.James
Forrester
A.Hazell
Baldshaw
Watkins
Foster

I think Forrester should be able to challenge for the no.8 jersey soon, i rate him really highly he's an excellent play but he's had a bad bought of injury iirc

Any other Gloscester fans see this as a possible line-up for this season for Gloucester

1) Nick Wood
2) Jeremy Paul
3) Nieto
4) Bortolami
5) A.Brown
6) Narraway
7) Qera
8) Delve
9) Cooper
10) Lamb
11) Vanikolo
12) Barkley
13) Allen
14) Simpson-Daniel
15) Morgan

16) ***terall
17) Collazo
18) P. Buxton
19) Strokosch
20) Lawson
21) Tindall
22) W.Walker

Unused subs
Azam
W.James
Forrester
A.Hazell
Baldshaw
Watkins
Foster
[/b]
***terall will be starting hooker with Azam off the bench, Jeremy Paul has left the club(thank god). Cooper is a distant 2nd behind Lawson and will continue to be based on last years pathetic displays.Centres will rotate between Allen, Barkley and Tindall. Watkins if we are really desperate.

<div class='quotemain'>

1) Nick Wood
2) Jeremy Paul
3) Nieto
4) Bortolami
5) A.Brown
6) Narraway
7) Qera
8) Delve
9) Cooper
10) Lamb
11) Vanikolo
12) Barkley
13) Allen
14) Simpson-Daniel
15) Morgan

16) ***terall
17) Collazo
18) P. Buxton
19) Strokosch
20) Lawson
21) Tindall
22) W.Walker

Unused subs
Azam
W.James
Forrester
A.Hazell
Baldshaw
Watkins
Foster
[/b]
***terall will be starting hooker with Azam off the bench, Jeremy Paul has left the club(thank god). Cooper is a distant 2nd behind Lawson and will continue to be based on last years pathetic displays.Centres will rotate between Allen, Barkley and Tindall. Watkins if we are really desperate.
[/b][/quote]

Didn't know Paul had left the club. Did rate him as a player, but I suppose he's a bit older and slower nowadays. Prefer ***terall to Azam any day of the week..and twice on Saturdays.

I think Forrester will be in the mix for a spot on the bench and has been very unlucky with injuries. I think he has tremendous ability, and could certainly play his way into the line-up if he stays healthy. If he did, I think he would play 8 and push Delve to the bench.

In the backs I think Ryan will try and stick with Lamb at 10, but Barkley will most likely get some time in games there, especially in close games. Just see us wanting a more dangerous attacker at 13 than Tindall offers at this point, and if I'm Anthony Allen, I'm looking at the England 13 jersey as a real open chance right now, whereas 12 has a host of players in the queue for it... Flutey, Barkley, Geraghty, Flood, etc

The real question in my mind is FB.... do we endure another season of Baldshaw (hope not). Think it's between Walker and Morgan, with again Morgan getting the edge because he is younger, faster and a better attacking option, especially if the mid-field is the creative trio of Lamb, Barkley, and Allen.

But those are my thoughts..... we'll see what Dean Ryan rolls out

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ollybarkley @ Aug 21 2008, 08:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>

1) Nick Wood
2) Jeremy Paul
3) Nieto
4) Bortolami
5) A.Brown
6) Narraway
7) Qera
8) Delve
9) Cooper
10) Lamb
11) Vanikolo
12) Barkley
13) Allen
14) Simpson-Daniel
15) Morgan

16) ***terall
17) Collazo
18) P. Buxton
19) Strokosch
20) Lawson
21) Tindall
22) W.Walker

Unused subs
Azam
W.James
Forrester
A.Hazell
Baldshaw
Watkins
Foster[/b]

OOOPs... forgot about Greg Somerville coming over from NZ.... tooo bad for Carlos Nieto.

1)Nieto
2)***terall
3)Somerville
4)Bortolami
5)Brown
6)Delve
7)Qera
8)Forrester
9)Lawson
10)Lamb
11)Vanikolo
12)Barkley
13)Allen
14)Simpson-Daniel
15)Bailshaw

16)Azam
17)J.Forster
18)Buxton
19)Strokosch
20)Cooper
21)Walker
22)Morgan

And Tindall retires lmao

Those would be my picks lol....yes...Iain Balshaw at 15 lol

canuck-backrow and Olly Barkley are the same people. Can someone please close this daft thread. Surely two Gloucester fans cant know so little about their players and their positions.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (danny @ Sep 4 2008, 01:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
canuck-backrow and Olly Barkley are the same people. Can someone please close this daft thread. Surely two Gloucester fans cant know so little about their players and their positions.[/b]

Sorry mate, but I'm not the same bloke as canuck-backrow. I'm a number 10 for one thing.

Sorry to disappoint you.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Rinkadink @ Sep 4 2008, 03:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Is Azam retiring after this season?[/b]

I wouldn't mind....

I think the combination of ***terell and MacMillan will serve us well after this season, as MacMillan will have another year to learn before he is ready to play regular 1st division rugby behind ***terell.

Also heard disappointing news that Tindall was named Captain, which means he is a lock to start in the 13 jumper, which is too bad. I really don't think he rates a starting place at this point in time. Prefer a midfield of Barkley and Allen, but there are that core group of people who still seem to believe that Tindall is the same type of player he was back in 2003. But maybe Barkley and Tindall can reignite some of their past magic when they played together at Bath.

Only time will tell, I just think with so many good attacking options wide like JSD, Morgan, Vanikola, Balshaw, and Foster that a midfield player like Tindall would not be a wise selection, preferring instead to the subtle running and intelligence of Allen at 13. But alas.. maybe Lamb and Barkley will just be throwing miss passes to cut Tindall out of the attack to get the ball wide.

Gloucester is being the theme of the day not for us for BBC too as they have recently declared that no Gloucester is for sale, and citates the words of its chairman

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_unio...ter/7597007.stm

And also some traumas suffer Adam Eustace so serious that Gloucester will be playin' without him.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/rugby_unio...ter/7596708.stm

Thsese links get you to the BBC Sports letters about the themes mentioned above

gloucester_logo.jpg

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ollybarkley @ Sep 4 2008, 09:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Rinkadink @ Sep 4 2008, 03:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Is Azam retiring after this season?[/b]

I wouldn't mind....

I think the combination of ***terell and MacMillan will serve us well after this season, as MacMillan will have another year to learn before he is ready to play regular 1st division rugby behind ***terell.

Also heard disappointing news that Tindall was named Captain, which means he is a lock to start in the 13 jumper, which is too bad. I really don't think he rates a starting place at this point in time. Prefer a midfield of Barkley and Allen, but there are that core group of people who still seem to believe that Tindall is the same type of player he was back in 2003. But maybe Barkley and Tindall can reignite some of their past magic when they played together at Bath.

Only time will tell, I just think with so many good attacking options wide like JSD, Morgan, Vanikola, Balshaw, and Foster that a midfield player like Tindall would not be a wise selection, preferring instead to the subtle running and intelligence of Allen at 13. But alas.. maybe Lamb and Barkley will just be throwing miss passes to cut Tindall out of the attack to get the ball wide.
[/b][/quote]
If you actually watched any Gloucester games from last season you would have seen that Tindall was our outstanding centre. He has earned the right to be captain. Allen is a very good player but he is an out and out inside centre. Tindall gives us go forward when we need it. I watched every home game exept Munster last season and went to over half of our away games and this view is shared with every true fan I know. You cant have a backline made up of one dimensional players you must have balance and Tindall gives us that. Also Azam will start against Leicester. Ps It would be good to see you there but I dont think that will happen.

Nope.. won't see me there, but I will be watching on the tv, thanks to Setanta.

Will have to agree to disagree about Tindall. IMO he is too slow and limited a player to play the attacking system we are best suited for. Tindall is big strong back, but his passing skills are poor, his vision is none existent and his defensive range is not what it once was. Allen would be a better fit for the #13 shirt, especially given that is an opening both at Gloucester and for England, again IMO. In terms of needing to take the ball at the line with force, we can always run Vainikolo through the mid-field to accomplish this, or use one of our pacy back-rows to do it for us.

And Barkley, Lamb, Allen, and James Simpson-Daniel are most certainly not one dimensional players. They each offer options as both runners and playmakers, with Lamb and Barkley also adding a kicking option as well.

But hey.. it's all subjective as to how we see things. :cheers:

I think Tindall is a good player, I just think at this point in time, Allen might offer us something more, and for his career it might be a good move.

Latest posts