First XV
Country Flag
Wales
Club or Nation
Ospreys
superugby.jpg

CHEETAHS 19-51 BULLS

Visitors reign supreme but Hougaard sees red

The Bulls went four points clear at the top of the South African Super Rugby conference on Saturday afternoon with an overwhelming performance against a shell-shocked Cheetahs outfit in Bloemfontein.

Running in six tries altogether, the away side displayed huge determination and physical power to blow their opposition to smithereens - with the 4-try bonus point wrapped up before half-time.

An early penalty a-piece got the scoreboard ticking over - with both Morne Steyn and young fly-half Johan Goosen on target for their respective teams - but the encounter did not remain level for very long.

In the tenth minute the Bulls made their first breakthrough in controversial circumstances.

From a forward thrust, prop Dean Greyling crashed over the whitewash, but with referee Craig Joubert unsure of the grounding the decision was taken upstairs to the TMO. However, despite there being a clear element of doubt, the try was awarded and Steyn added the extras for a 7-point lead.

The visitors were enjoying the majority of possession as the entire team looked to get a slice of the action with ball in hand; but a lack of composure prevented them from extending their advantage as first full-back Zane Kirchner and then Steyn and centre Francois Venter combined to cough the pill up in some sloppy back play.

Greyling's luck seemed to be running out too as the prop - struggling in the scrum - conceded his second penalty in as many minutes after failing to properly engage following a strong hit from opposition tight-head WP Nel.

The Cheetahs decided to take a shot at the sticks from their position on half-way and protege Goosen was on target with his effort to tighten arrears.

The Cheetahs were offering plenty of endeavour and fight, but were unable to create any real damage among the Bulls defence, the visitors seeming comfortable at all times with relatively tame and lateral home attacks.

The same could not be said of their hosts and after another period of Bulls forward pressure a driving pack resulted in prop Werner Kruger barging over for his own five-pointer to brag about to front-row colleague Greyling.

Goosen's third penalty of the half brought the scores to 17-9 in the Bulls favour, but there was only so long the Cheetahs could cling on to Bull coattails as they kicked penalties whilst their opponents ran in tries.

So it proved as within moments the score margin had stretched still further.

With the Cheetahs losing control in midfield, Bulls scrum-half Francois Hougaard pounced on the loose ball and hacked forward with his outside backs chasing the ball being
pursued themselves by a frantic scramble defence.

Although the ball was initially reclaimed by the hosts, the Bulls' superiority at the breakdown won the ball back and, with possession now deep inside Cheetah 22, the ball was spun wide quickly through the hands before reaching left winger Bjorn Basson on the overlap, giving the Springbok speedster a simple run-in under the posts.

Steyn's successful conversion had put the away side firmly in control, but still the Cheetahs clung on - with Goosen nailing another tough kick from wide right with half-time looming to cut the deficit to twelve.

But the home side were dealt the killer blow within moments of the re-start to all but destroy any ambitions they still invested in the game.

From a well-won line-out the Bulls forwards rumbled - eating up metres and setting the platform for attack. From the base, Hougaard distributed to Steyn who fed his outside backs, inviting them to capitalise on a disorganised and bunched Cheetahs defensive line. A delightful step from Wynand Olivier got around would-be tacklers and Akona Ndungane was soon receiving the ball and flying down the right wing before offloading inside to Kirchner, the full-back finishing with ease.

The metronomic Steyn again added the extras and the Bulls jogged off at the interval boasting a significant 31-12 lead.

<dl id="" class="wp-caption alignnone" data-mce-style="width: 310px;" style="color: rgb(136, 136, 136); font-size: 12px; margin-top: 6px; margin-right: 6px; margin-bottom: 6px; margin-left: 6px; border-top-style: none; border-right-style: none; border-bottom-style: none; border-left-style: none; border-image: initial; text-align: center; background-color: rgb(241, 241, 241); padding-top: 4px; border-top-left-radius: 0px; border-top-right-radius: 0px; border-bottom-right-radius: 0px; border-bottom-left-radius: 0px; border-width: initial; border-color: initial; background-image: initial; background-attachment: initial; background-origin: initial; background-clip: initial; padding-right: 4px; padding-bottom: 4px; padding-left: 4px; border-width: initial; border-color: initial; width: 310px; "><dt class="wp-caption-dt" style="color: rgb(68, 68, 68); line-height: 1.4; font-weight: bold; ">
Zane-Kirchner-Scores-120303G300.jpg
</dt><dd class="wp-caption-dd" style="color: rgb(68, 68, 68); line-height: 17px; margin-bottom: 0px; font-size: 11px; padding-top: 0px; padding-right: 4px; padding-bottom: 5px; padding-left: 4px; margin-top: 0px; margin-right: 0px; margin-left: 0px; ">Kirchner enjoyed a consummate performance against his old side</dd></dl>

The visitors' extra physicality in the tight and around the park was marked and was making easy pickings of a light-weight and naive Cheetahs outfit, whose defence and work-rate at the break-down was simply deplorable.

A Philip Snyman knock-on in the early stages of the second period summed up how the game was going for the hosts and within moments coach Naka Drotske was enforcing some much-needed changes.

The introduction of back-rower Ashley Johnson brought temporary respite with the 3-cap Springbok adding bulk to the pack and a desire to go forward meaningfully with ball in hand and test the Bulls defence.

But as encouraging as the lift in tempo was for the home team, the tenacity of tackle and competition at ruck-time - especially from Bulls flanker Jacques Potgieter - meant the Cheetahs were stopped dead at every phase.

Two quick-fire Steyn penalties kept the scoreboard ticking over and gave it a 37-12 gloss in the Bulls favour, but just after the hour mark referee Joubert ensured their night would not be a completely satisfactory one.

With the Cheetahs attempting to up the tempo again and press forward, centre Robert Ebersohn was caught by scrum-half Hougaard and with the sometime-winger looking to make a statement of defensive intent he lifted his opposition and let him drop on his head.

Despite it's initially inconspicuous nature - replays suggesting the scrummie had displayed no malice in the tackle or driven the player downward - Joubert stopped the game to consult with his assistant referee. With the linesman offering no reason why the man in the middle should not show the transgressor a red card, Hougaard was given his marching orders to once again raise the 'tip-tackle' as the most controversial and talked about aspect of rugby today.

<dl id="" class="wp-caption alignnone" data-mce-style="width: 228px;" style="color: rgb(136, 136, 136); font-size: 12px; margin-top: 6px; margin-right: 6px; margin-bottom: 6px; margin-left: 6px; border-top-style: none; border-right-style: none; border-bottom-style: none; border-left-style: none; border-image: initial; text-align: center; background-color: rgb(241, 241, 241); padding-top: 4px; border-top-left-radius: 0px; border-top-right-radius: 0px; border-bottom-right-radius: 0px; border-bottom-left-radius: 0px; border-width: initial; border-color: initial; background-image: initial; background-attachment: initial; background-origin: initial; background-clip: initial; padding-right: 4px; padding-bottom: 4px; padding-left: 4px; border-width: initial; border-color: initial; width: 228px; "><dt class="wp-caption-dt" style="color: rgb(68, 68, 68); line-height: 1.4; font-weight: bold; ">
Francois-Hougaard-making-a-break-for-the-Bull_2727677.jpg
</dt><dd class="wp-caption-dd" style="color: rgb(68, 68, 68); line-height: 17px; margin-bottom: 0px; font-size: 11px; padding-top: 0px; padding-right: 4px; padding-bottom: 5px; padding-left: 4px; margin-top: 0px; margin-right: 0px; margin-left: 0px; ">Springbok Hougaard may feel hard done by, but might face a lengthy ban nonetheless</dd></dl>

Buoyed by their sudden numerical advantage the Cheetahs poured forward and were soon over the whitewash for their first (and only) try of the day, as composure and discipline finally paid off for Adriaan Strauss - with the captain rewarded for his stirling efforts as he sold a dummy and burrowed over from two yards.

Goosen's conversion curled deliciously through the sticks, but the home fans cheers were soon silenced as the 14-man Bulls were by no means finished.

With the hosts spurred on by a raucous crowd they went all out to get back in the fixture. Possession - despite still being camped in their own 22 - was flung with purpose wide left, but Snyman, trying to find his pace-men, instead picked out replacement JJ Engelbrecht who claimed a misplaced pass and raced away for the Bulls fifth try.

Minutes later they were under the sticks again.

An intricate backline passing move found an on-rushing Kirchner who beat outside tacklers, chipped the ball over despairing defenders and received a fortuitous bounce to allow the former Cheetah to dot down with delight; with Steyn's ninth successful kick of the night rounding off a hugely pleasing display for the Bulls.

Star Man
: JACQUES POTGIETER (BULLS) - His late sin-binning aside, this was a brilliantly committed performance from the Bulls wing forward. He put his body on the line time and time again with countless tackles and competed commendably at the breakdown to provide his team the quality ball they used to kill off their opponents.

5-metre flop
: DAVON RAUBENHEIMER (CHEETAHS) - A lamentable display from the Cheetahs Number 8. Was on the back foot every time he received the ball, provided no grunt or steel for a foundering pack and looked disinterested for large parts of the game. A wonder it took 53 minutes to replace him.

All images courtesy of www.supersport.com & www.planetrugby.co.uk

FOLLOW ME ON TWITTER @ThomasODavies

Heineken do you know the bulls supporters commenting on News 24? Either they are the most convincing trolls of all time or your boys up in Pretoria have combined inbreeding and internet :(

They are the reason we all hate you guys :p

Kirchner had a consummate performance? that must be a first
Tell me about it. He had a couple of dodgy moments in the first half, but he was altogether solid and his second try in particular was class... (Which is a shame cos secretly I can't stand him ;) )

You think that's bad, when he scored vs Italy in 2010 I was disappointed.

Heineken do you know the bulls supporters commenting on News 24? Either they are the most convincing trolls of all time or your boys up in Pretoria have combined inbreeding and internet :(

They are the reason we all hate you guys :p

What do you mean?? I never read the comments on there, so please do tell...

Lol

You know, i don't think it's JUST Bulls supporters that had a bad attitude in those posts... can't see anything wrong a bit of smack talk... especially when it's coming from all sides...

The difference perhaps is that the Bulls Supporters are boasting, especially after the weekend's big win, and teams like the Sharks, Cheetahs and Lions all lost, which is more firepower to rub salt into the wounds...

If people want to post on there, they should be ready to take the flak that comes with it... I don't post on there because most of those people can't spell in the first place, and secondly, their rugby knowledge is far below par... so Never argue with an idiot, it's pointless and they bring you down and beat you out of experience...

There will always be people who are blind when it comes to the national team. Nobody with a little bit of rugby sense will seriously suggest to pick a full club-team for the national team. In SA it's always a debate. I see some really stupid comments. No Stormers should be selected because they haven't won anything in 11 years... Ridiculous! To be honest, the Bulls have some amazing talent and I see Jacques Potgieter, Francois Venter, JJ Engelbrecht, Francois Hougaard and the 2 props as serious candidates to be long-term Springboks. They lost a ton of experience but have always played the same style of rugby, throughout the organisation. The youth teams play exactly the same, which makes it easy for youngsters to fit in.

There will always be people who are blind when it comes to the national team. Nobody with a little bit of rugby sense will seriously suggest to pick a full club-team for the national team. In SA it's always a debate. I see some really stupid comments. No Stormers should be selected because they haven't won anything in 11 years... Ridiculous! To be honest, the Bulls have some amazing talent and I see Jacques Potgieter, Francois Venter, JJ Engelbrecht, Francois Hougaard and the 2 props as serious candidates to be long-term Springboks. They lost a ton of experience but have always played the same style of rugby, throughout the organisation. The youth teams play exactly the same, which makes it easy for youngsters to fit in.

true, but players should be picked on merit... some young players are showing potential... loo kat young goosen brilliant... give him a shot, steyn is crap in anycase... and please don't come with he goosen is too young for the international level... you have to start somewhere... when did carter make his debut for the all blacks??? 20??? was taht too young??? players today, reach their prime at a much younger age... low 20s... banana is crap... hy is klaar, but he will probably bt the bok winger again.... jdv is also done... but he will be there... experience mos ne... crap... experience is nothing but being cool under pressure... you need time to gain that...hence experience... if you calm under pressure from the work go, who needs experience/time ?!?!?

true, but players should be picked on merit... some young players are showing potential... loo kat young goosen brilliant... give him a shot, steyn is crap in anycase... and please don't come with he goosen is too young for the international level... you have to start somewhere... when did carter make his debut for the all blacks??? 20??? was taht too young??? players today, reach their prime at a much younger age... low 20s... banana is crap... hy is klaar, but he will probably bt the bok winger again.... jdv is also done... but he will be there... experience mos ne... crap... experience is nothing but being cool under pressure... you need time to gain that...hence experience... if you calm under pressure from the work go, who needs experience/time ?!?!?

of course, you once again didn't watch any games other than the Hurricanes match... Morne Steyn played brilliantly! he overshadowed Goosen in the game and got his backline away with ease...

JDV was good on defence and attack, so i can't understand why you would say crap without merit, when you are actually talking about merit! KOM FOKKEN BY!!

of course, you once again didn't watch any games other than the Hurricanes match... Morne Steyn played brilliantly! he overshadowed Goosen in the game and got his backline away with ease...

JDV was good on defence and attack, so i can't understand why you would say crap without merit, when you are actually talking about merit! KOM FOKKEN BY!!
again attacking the man...
i'm telling you, Goosen behind the "crapper" forwards of the cheetahs showed more potential than "scared-morne" did behind the big bulls forwards... you have to stop being biast and stop attacking people criticising your players... I know what I'm talking about...

the bulls will do much much much better with a running flyhalf.... but goosen or lambie or jantjies in that bulls outfit at 10...

Last edited by a moderator:
Hmmmmm, hate to get involved here but there is a seriously negative stigma behind South Africa's "10 man rugby" style of play but I've always felt it was a little unfair.

South Africa play our best rugby when we adopt that style. It may not be pretty but it's how South Africa wins, we need to accept the fact that South African players don't have the flair of Aus or NZ players. It's not because we don't have the talent, it's because that's how we were coached from a young age. Aussie and NZ youth play touch at Schools where as all I ever remember playing in High School was Kopperstamp (maybe someone can help me out with the English word), we have to accept that if we want to be the force in world rugby we can be, we have to play to our strengths and not copy a style of play we perceive to be better.

South African teams have large strong forwards who can dominate in line-outs and deliver safe reliable ball, which combined with a reliable kicker with big match temperament and a back-line with an airtight defence will win us games and really that's the bottom line.

Does it matter that Morne is bad behind a weak forward pack? Is South Africa ever going to get dominated up front? We certainly shouldn't be.
If Heyneke selects a team full of bulls players and we start winning again I honestly don't care.

I'm not a bulls fan but I am a South African fan and I say play to our strengths. If you would prefer us to play like NZ then go ahead and support them, no-one is stopping you.
Johan Goosen may well be our next flyhalf but he is still untested at a high level, and Lambie has proven to be unreliable in front of posts in pressure situations. These young fly-halfs still need time to mature.

Hmmmmm, hate to get involved here but there is a seriously negative stigma behind South Africa's "10 man rugby" style of play but I've always felt it was a little unfair.

South Africa play our best rugby when we adopt that style. It may not be pretty but it's how South Africa wins, we need to accept the fact that South African players don't have the flair of Aus or NZ players. It's not because we don't have the talent, it's because that's how we were coached from a young age. Aussie and NZ youth play touch at Schools where as all I ever remember playing in High School was Kopperstamp (maybe someone can help me out with the English word), we have to accept that if we want to be the force in world rugby we can be, we have to play to our strengths and not copy a style of play we perceive to be better.

South African teams have large strong forwards who can dominate in line-outs and deliver safe reliable ball, which combined with a reliable kicker with big match temperament and a back-line with an airtight defence will win us games and really that's the bottom line.

Does it matter that Morne is bad behind a weak forward pack? Is South Africa ever going to get dominated up front? We certainly shouldn't be.
If Heyneke selects a team full of bulls players and we start winning again I honestly don't care.

I'm not a bulls fan but I am a South African fan and I say play to our strengths. If you would prefer us to play like NZ then go ahead and support them, no-one is stopping you.
Johan Goosen may well be our next flyhalf but he is still untested at a high level, and Lambie has proven to be unreliable in front of posts in pressure situations. These young fly-halfs still need time to mature.

Give this man a Bells!

again attacking the man...
i'm telling you, Goosen behind the "crapper" forwards of the cheetahs showed more potential than "scared-morne" did behind the big bulls forwards... you have to stop being biast and stop attacking people criticising your players... I know what I'm talking about...

the bulls will do much much much better with a running flyhalf.... but goosen or lambie or jantjies in that bulls outfit at 10...

Why?? Our Fly Halves play to our structure, and that's why we are so successful and win... that's more than what any other SA team, or the Hurricanes can say and all of them have running fly halves...

By the Way - if Morne Steyn wasn't running then he'd never be in position to catch the bloody ball!!

Morne Steyn didn't kick away the ball as much in this game and actually got his backline away on numerous times... he can play running rugby when it's necessary, and I agree with you 100% SomeOke... you sum it up brilliantly.

It's clear that Icemn has a vendetta against the Bulls and their players, you can see it on his posts and signature... so I'm wasting my breath talking to this toothless khayelitsha traitor...

let's move on...

it annoys me how people think that playing ugly rugby is ALWAYS bad when it is proven that some of the most successful teams in rugby history have played that style

Steyn is the best goal kicker in world rugby, and I've lost count the amount of matches Italy have lost because they don't have a world class goal kicker, same with Georgia in the World Cup who would have been a lot closer had Kvirikashvili not messed up his kicks big style

@Icemn: I have a stat for you .. . number of Bulls Super Rugby ***les 3, number of South Africa World Cup ***les 2

for sides with in your opinion such a crap systems that is quite impressive I think

and also don't equate the selection policy of Pieter de Villiers to the entire South African system

THANK GOD someone has finally said this on TRF, it's as if some think that rugby should be judged.... aka. synchronized swimming and the artistic appeal of their style of play.

Latest posts