• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

15 backs v 15 forwards. Who wins? Discuss.

The backs get slaughtered in anything right, and there's no need to not keep it tight.
Out wide, the backs will have an advantage in handling, but not hugely huge, and a slight advantage in pace. But that would be largely irrelevant.

We saw this in the league Vs union matches in the 90s - when the league teams did have a few ex-union forwards, but scrums were removed and lineouts and mauls were rendered impotent

No one going to put up an argument for the backs?:(

At the top level it's going to be forwards every because of the set piece and low error count. I could see backs winning at lower levels though.

No one going to put up an argument for the backs?:(
No. They're peripheral at the best of times. :)

World Rugby are scraping the barrel a bit with that one. Might have been more interesting to ask the question of 7s where you don't have barrel shaped props or line out giraffes.

I'm with Alpha.

15 XVs, forwards
Sevens, backs

Backs need more space. You would need to play 9s to make it somewhat even.

Ok but what if you have 15 wingers versus 15 props? Who wins?

Depends are we talking 15 Sincklers or 15 Coles?

haha. A mixture of Sinks type of props and Cole type of props, Mako, versus Nadolo, May, Kolbe.

Last edited:
Forwards, just because there are international loose forwards and locks who could be replacement level backs. I don't think any backs could be replacement level tight five. If you could name nine (starters + bench) backs who could play tight five (we'll even go uncontested scrums) I think it could be a game.

Original question, forwards all the way, if you split that 15 into tights and loosies...7 or 8 loosies running killing everything and 7 or 8 tights just walking from breakdown to breakdown, no questions

amended question, and assuming a even mix of coles' and Sincklers...forwards over 40....backs over 80...think they might just run out of gas and the back would turn the last 40 in to a game of sevens

Forwards. Every time just knock on, win the scrum penalty, kick a few meters down the field, win lineout and then just maul to the try line. Rinse and repeat.

Just my musings on favourite players for these teams..

Forwards XV
1. M. Vunipola 2. W. Servat 3. A. Sheridan 4. E. Etzebeth 5. B. Rettalick 6. T. Dusatiour 7. H. Brussow 8. P. Spies
9. M. Bergamasco :) 10. S. Parisse 11. T. Croft 12. J. Burger 13. A. Powell 14. A. Savea 15. L. Nakawara

Backs XV

1. J. Tuisova 2. N. Laumape 3. M. Nonu 4. N. Nadolo 5. I. Folou (o_O) 6. J. Roberts 7. Y. David 8. J. Savea
9. M. Philips 10. Q. Cooper 11. C. Kolbe 12. T. Umaga 13. J Fourie 14. L. Vainikolo 15. N. Milner-Skudder

This was fun to make :D:D Cmon the backs! ;)

If you could name nine (starters + bench) backs who could play tight five (we'll even go uncontested scrums) I think it could be a game.
Interesting. Out of the top of my head: RJvR, Tuilagi, Bastareaud, SBW, Naiyaravoro, Savea (J), Rieko Ioane, could do okish imo.

Side note: Lomu played flanker in XVs as a kid and prop in sevens.

Interesting. Out of the top of my head: RJvR, Tuilagi, Bastareaud, SBW, Naiyaravoro, Savea (J), Rieko Ioane, could do okish imo.

Side note: Lomu played flanker in XVs as a kid and prop in sevens.
I'll raise you a Kris Chesney who played wing, lock and back row in 300 appearances for Saracens up to 2009.

As a back, and as someone who has been told unapologetically that Peter O'Mahoney played wing and Kyle Sinckler played 10 prior to turning pro I'm claiming both for my team. Mauro Bergamasco too.

forwards would destroy the backs
what happens at scrum line out ruck maul time? backs will just stand around doing nothing cos they wont know what to do.
and lets dispell this notion that forwards would run out of puff. backs do fk all and just stand around and wait for tries. forwards are way fitter than backs.

Latest posts