• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

152.4cm (5´0) Scrum half vs 16-18 year olds

cclifford85

Academy Player
Hello, im a 15 year old boy from the US, and I started rugby last year and played winger. My coach wants me to play scrum half in D2 this year, which is varsity age players except not the good teams. I really don't want any injuries, considering im 100 pounds (45.3 kilos). I love fishing and go everyday and a wrist/arm injury would be devastating, as well as a concussion. Also if I injure my growth plates, im basically screwed. Opinions? (In the US, idk about the UK, kids in Varsity can be well over 6 feet tall. )

if you're that worried about injury then i wouldn't play, if you do play i would say you're less likely to get wasted if you play as scrum half, wingers are out there on their own sometimes

Stop worrying about growth plates and all that rubbish. Play and develop! You could get injured getting out of bed!

Not being horrible or anything but your question really shows where you are from. That type of question simply wouldnt come out of a country dominated by rugby. There is simply so much money in american sport its affected grass roots. I played full contact from the age of 7(i was a year younger than I was supposed to be too) and I am 6ft 3 and 100kg! Worst injury in my sporting life.....kicking a 'soccer ball' in the street with my brother and i snapped my ankle to bits! S**t happens.

If worrying about injuries is the prime focus of your rugby development then stop playing and go fishing. Injuries happen. If it worries you then it really is not the sport for you.

The big question is do you like Rugby? If not don't play, if you do give it ago.
Honestly 9 is a pretty decent position to avoid injuries anyway, I do know many people who have gotten Wrist injuries before playing rugby.

Look nothing wrong with preferring fishing to Rugby, I love fishing both for reactions and Fish!! (Used to go carp fishing alot) But I don't see why one would really affect the other truth be told. I know a lot of farmers who play rugby and farm on the same day and a injury would be awful for their work, but they do it because they love the game.

I wish I could be more constructive but I can't.

Hello, im a 15 year old boy from the US, and I started rugby last year and played winger. My coach wants me to play scrum half in D2 this year, which is varsity age players except not the good teams. I really don't want any injuries, considering im 100 pounds (45.3 kilos). I love fishing and go everyday and a wrist/arm injury would be devastating, as well as a concussion. Also if I injure my growth plates, im basically screwed. Opinions? (In the US, idk about the UK, kids in Varsity can be well over 6 feet tall. )

Play rugby... it's awesome down the road even in the states for networking and you'll have a hell of a time at uni.

just work on passing and learn how to hide yourself on defense and you'll be fine

Latest posts