• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

1995 Rugby World Cup Research

Jimmaay93

Academy Player
Hello fellow rugby lovers!

I'm a history student at Bath Spa University and I am looking at researching the 1995 Rugby World Cup. I would like to look at the impact and influence of Nelson Mandela on the tournament, players and commentators opinions and in a broader aspect Did the victory for South Africa unite the country?

Any suggestions, opinions, sources would be most welcome.

Thank you in advance for any responses

They made a documentary about it. Called Invictus.

:cool:Yes, I know it's not a documentary

The book "30 Bullies" by Alison Kervin has a whole section dedicated to that World Cup and I'm pretty sure that there's a fair bit about the impact that it had to the country. I believe that she was there for the duration of the tournament and her insight is really useful.

Also see the 30 for 30 ESPN documentary "The 16th Man".

I always love how the brawl between Canada and South Africa is conveniently left out of the touchy feely narrative that surrounds the retelling of this particular RWC.

I always love how the brawl between Canada and South Africa is conveniently left out of the touchy feely narrative that surrounds the retelling of this particular RWC.

Weren't South Africa minutes from being knocked out in the semis against France because of the brawl? Imagine if the game had been cancelled, what would the rugby world look like now?

Research the food poisoning, South Africa really outdid themselves there...

The book "30 Bullies" by Alison Kervin has a whole section dedicated to that World Cup and I'm pretty sure that there's a fair bit about the impact that it had to the country. I believe that she was there for the duration of the tournament and her insight is really useful.

Also see the 30 for 30 ESPN documentary "The 16th Man".

Thank you very much, I shall check both of these out!

Thank you!
I am going to look at how the tournament has been romanticised through films like Invictus. I knew the team were known for their great physicality and it may be interesting to see what black South Africans thought of their countries rugby team being so physical at the time.

Latest posts