• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

1st TEST: South Africa v Lions

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Cymro @ Jun 21 2009, 02:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Anyone reckon they could drop O'Connell for next match?[/b]
Agree with Tarbh here. AWJ was completely inneffective. He'll be changed ahead of O'Connell.

Otherwise agree with Mites analysis aside form the back row. Wallace and Heaslip were swallowed up by the Bok pack, no doubt, but aside from running in support Croft did sod all in the tight. The only forward I would give more then 5 would be Jenkins.

Williams an 8?

And Stephen Jones was miserable in the first half but good in the second. Like Philips. Poor behind a retreating pack, good when going forward.

I'm still conflicted about Monye. He did do the hard bits well but being incapable of finishing from point blank range? Hold the ball in two hands, or in the one hand not going into contact. Frustratingly basic stuff.

here you've got the highlights of the match Highlights

I can say that O'Driscoll worked amazing in this match, as he has the key role in 2 tries among the three

People seem to be raving about O'Driscolls performance, and yes he was top class, but Roberts was another notch above him. He was quite simply immense in just about everything he did. He created Crofts first try, got the lions in position for the other Croft try and Phillip's try. He was the destructive force which gave BOD the space and time needed for him to weave his magic. Just had another look at his bulldozering run just before Phillips' try, straight off a scrum and it took 3-4 to stop him! His running was quite simply unstoppable, even when Fourie replaced Jacobs. If the Springboks can't stop him next week, he might just drag the Lions to the win.

Pitty Shane Williams isn't in the form he was last year, because having him running support lines alongside Roberts playing like this, with Roberts ability to offload in the takle and Shanes ability to beat the covering fullback so easily could have resulted in tries galore!

The next test should be a cracker as I can't see the Lions wasting so many of their opportunities / the Boks covering takles being so effective next time. The Boks should have improved aswell though. I'm praying the Lions can win, as it would set up a huge game in the final test. I'm actually feeling quite confident that the Lions can pull it off next Sat.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (dullonien @ Jun 22 2009, 02:24 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
People seem to be raving about O'Driscolls performance, and yes he was top class, but Roberts was another notch above him. He was quite simply immense in just about everything he did. He created Crofts first try, got the lions in position for the other Croft try and Phillip's try. He was the destructive force which gave BOD the space and time needed for him to weave his magic. Just had another look at his bulldozering run just before Phillips' try, straight off a scrum and it took 3-4 to stop him! His running was quite simply unstoppable, even when Fourie replaced Jacobs. If the Springboks can't stop him next week, he might just drag the Lions to the win.

Pitty Shane Williams isn't in the form he was last year, because having him running support lines alongside Roberts playing like this, with Roberts ability to offload in the takle and Shanes ability to beat the covering fullback so easily could have resulted in tries galore!

The next test should be a cracker as I can't see the Lions wasting so many of their opportunities / the Boks covering takles being so effective next time. The Boks should have improved aswell though. I'm praying the Lions can win, as it would set up a huge game in the final test. I'm actually feeling quite confident that the Lions can pull it off next Sat.[/b]

Shane Williams

You know? world shakes when you spell his name

I am not hyperdiagnosing his power by saying "world shakes" he is the God of rugby

I think the matches are different, far different from normal when he plays there

But what about O'Driscoll, even if you hate him he makes you applause him by his brilliant play

I was reading the comments before and after the game and I was surprised.. I think those british and ir**h members didn't watch the same game that I watched. This is ridiculous, their comments are based only on the last 20 minutes when De villiers (The caoch) made BIG mistakes with his silly substitutions which could cost the Boks that easy encounter against those tamed little lions without any claws.

-Do I have to post your stupid posts before the game again about:
*Your weak scrum ( almost all members were agreed that the bok's scrum will be crumbled and don't cry and blame Vickery because Beast was a real BEAST that day and your scrum became stable and steady only when Beast and Smit left the pitch)
* Where was your Number 8 hero (the big joke) Heaslip? was he really in Durban that day?
* I felt ashamed when some of you had the courage to compare that red-hair lock (the captain) with Boks' locks who taught him what a second row have to do in beautiful game called "Rugby union".

- How can you claim that you deserve to win after you were hugely dominated in scrums,rucks and lineout ? You just were able to return in the game due the bad choices of South Africa coach.

-What's the hell about the lions' centres ? IMO I didn't see anything special from Roberts and the lad who Bismarck almost smashed his head, frankly South African centres were somehow weak in defence, they were far away from their familiar form (By the way I heard Jean was injured for long time) so please stop this propaganda. They just exploited that weakness which made a huge damage to the boks.

- I want to pass a message to that red-hair lock and all people who agree with his interview: yes the penalties cost you the game but penalties is a part of the game and the strength,maturity and the vigilance of South African forwards forced you to commit penalties. So stop the ....

=> For lions fans: I repeat... if de villiers (the coach) didn't spoil the game with his stupid substitutions, then you wouldn't have had the courage even to come in and argue this thread.

+++ Thanks To Springboks you have made the game better you are the best team ever +++

I apologise for mistakes, my English is poor and I'm trying my best to approve it.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (shtove @ Jun 22 2009, 09:34 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Steve-o @ Jun 22 2009, 07:48 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Then Heaslip obstructed Matfield in the Phillips try, it's quite obvious especially from the 2nd angle behind the post.[/b]
Ah, so Heaslip did do something yesterday!

Watched the match again - after the maul try on 48, the Boks had one serious attack and scored no points.
[/b][/quote]

True but I am sure the Boks will be a little more match fit and secondly I don't think they will be as silly to replace 7 players in 8 mins again.

Will be a big one in Pretoria.

Pretoria is a bit of a bogey ground i feel. People say it is the most 'intimidating' ground... This is true, but only when the Bulls play. Not the Springboks.

Because it's such a massive place for the Bulls, the rest of the Springbok team don't really feel at home their because they play there during the Super 14...

I think South Africa has a crap record at Loftus...

Graham Rowntree a credit to the game what a Gent and good sport with some humour rolled in. My concern for the Lions is Gatland and Edwards as they are way to arrogrant to the point of being a negative for the Lions.

They seem to think they have achieved it all since winning one grand slam. When they brought Wales to SA last year and got beaten twice they still claimed to be the better side, we the travelled to Wales beat them in their backyard and they still claimed to be the best side hhhhhmmmmmmm.........

I love Wales as they are my NH team but Gatland and co are quickly putting me off them.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Jer1cho @ Jun 22 2009, 08:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Pretoria is a bit of a bogey ground i feel. People say it is the most 'intimidating' ground... This is true, but only when the Bulls play. Not the Springboks.

Because it's such a massive place for the Bulls, the rest of the Springbok team don't really feel at home their because they play there during the Super 14...

I think South Africa has a crap record at Loftus...[/b]

Hey bru 71% record there is not to shabby. Can't blame the Boks as no one likes going to Pretoria not even the Boks who are not part of the Bulls LOL.

Oh man, where to start.....

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Sebastian_Chabal @ Jun 22 2009, 01:23 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
-Do I have to post your stupid posts before the game again about:
*Your weak scrum ( almost all members were agreed that the bok's scrum will be crumbled and don't cry and blame Vickery because Beast was a real BEAST that day and your scrum became stable and steady only when Beast and Smit left the pitch)
* Where was your Number 8 hero (the big joke) Heaslip? was he really in Durban that day?
* I felt ashamed when some of you had the courage to compare that red-hair lock (the captain) with Boks' locks who taught him what a second row have to do in beautiful game called "Rugby union".[/b]
* Maybe you should look back at the thread again, as it was many of the South African members who were concerned with their front row. Although a few members expected the Lions to have a slight upper hand scrum time, no-one was claiming that the Boks scrum would 'crumble'! And no, the Lions scrum became stable when Adam Jones came on to the field, not when Beast and Smit left (they were still there for the first two scrums, one of which went backwards!).
* Yes, Heaslip was poor, but he was behind a retreating pack. I don't see you having a go at the SA members for claiming Spies would destroy the Lions. Both were pretty anonymous, but that makes Spies worse imo, if he can't shine when his front 5 are dominating by that margin, something's wrong. Yes, fine he did some good work around the field, but so did Heaslip.
* I don't recall anybody claiming O'Connell was as good as the Boks second rows. All the player for player comparisons done on the first few pages put Botha and Matfield clearly ahead of O'Connel and Jones.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>
- How can you claim that you deserve to win after you were hugely dominated in scrums,rucks and lineout ? You just were able to return in the game due the bad choices of South Africa coach.[/b]
Yes they were, but then the Lions dominated in the backs. PVD made some bad decisions, I agree, but the Lions comeback started before the bench was emptied. Du Plessis looked like he needed to come off, as he was starting to pick fights, and the Beast was going backwards scrum time at the hands of Jones.

-What's the hell about the lions' centres ? IMO I didn't see anything special from Roberts and the lad who Bismarck almost smashed his head, frankly South African centres were somehow weak in defence, they were far away from their familiar form (By the way I heard Jean was injured for long time) so please stop this propaganda. They just exploited that weakness which made a huge damage to the boks.[/b]
Watch the game again! Whether the SA midfield were poor defensively or not, all Roberts and BOD could do was play what was in front of them (the best 12 in game apparently /jk). Fourie had no impact after coming on and Roberts still made inroads, hmm.

- I want to pass a message to that red-hair lock and all people who agree with his interview: yes the penalties cost you the game but penalties is a part of the game and the strength,maturity and the vigilance of South African forwards forced you to commit penalties. So stop the ....[/b]
Agree wholeheartedly, as do many other Lions fans (An Tarbh etc.)

I apologise for mistakes, my English is poor and I'm trying my best to approve it.[/b]
No need to apologise, your English is great.

Sorry to have missed so much of the Lions discussion...
Anyway, my two cents on the match: Keep the all-Welsh front row and keep Kearny at Fullback.
I think that proved to work out much better.
If we (the Lions) can play like the second half for 2 halves, then we can beat the boks.

Yeah pretty good, though too generous for Monye. He's there to finish, if he cant do that why is he there?

LATEST NEWS: "Lord" Vickery has been institutionalized after he was found crying in a locker after his pounding on Saturday :lol2tn:

Brian Moore's article was interesting. Didnt understand a bit of it, but interesting none the less.

Weren't the scrums just orgasmic in the first half. I cant stand the poms in particular Phil Vickery. It was great to see him get dominated.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Hendo Magpies @ Jun 22 2009, 01:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Weren't the scrums just orgasmic in the first half. I cant stand the poms in particular Phil Vickery. It was great to see him get dominated.[/b]

ummm...ok, good for you

think people have been a bit harsh on Byrne, he did come off before half time with an injury, can't really fault him for that. I didn;t think he did too much wrong before he went off either. That said, I was very impressed by Kearney when he came on, and wouldn't mind him starting at Fullback next week. Am hoping Shane or Fitzgerald have a big game tomorrow because I really don't really rate Monye and think one of them should get a chance (atm, my choice would be Fitzgerald).
Does make me wonder though how different the game would have been if injured players like Ferris, O'Leary, Murray Shanklin and Halfpenny had been fit. No point thinking about 'ifs' too much though.

To be honest there arent many you would miss too much. I'm not sure if Murray was ever going to make the test side and while Ferris would have been there or there abouts, Croft was always Sky's favourite and that means a lot.

Shank's and Halfpenny wouldnt have made any difference over other players already sitting on the bench.

O'Leary and Flannery were the biggest losses in my opinion. O'Leary would have offered the physicality of Philips (close to it) but has better distribution. At worst he would have offered a real alternative at scrumhalf. Flannery would have been a shoe-in for the test side. The form hooker in the NH. He is probably the biggest loss.

Boks have their players missing too though. If's and Buts work both ways.

Latest posts