• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

1st TEST: South Africa v Lions

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Bull @ Jun 18 2009, 01:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I was a bit worried about the Boks front row but now that the Lions don't even have Sheridan on the bench I'm a lot less worried. Also Jones in front of O'Gara?[/b]

Sheridan being back in England would be the best thing for that Lions team. A very <strike>shrewd</strike> obvious move. I'll stay quiet about Jones getting the nod ahead of O'Choke... *dances around the room*

Anyhew, about as good a team I could have hoped for... Now to look forwards to Saturday! :)

That's the lions team I was expecting to see, thought Martyn Williams might start, but Wallace is a bit more physical so understandable. My only worries are cover for loosehead and centre. If Jenkins get's injured, has Vickery played much at looshead (I know Adam Jones certainly hasn't). I suppose Stephen Jones or Bowe will shift to centre if Roberts or BOD have to come off? Wouldn't be ideal by any stretch, and we really are missing a utility player on the bench. Hook would have been in with a big shout ahead of O'Gara because he can cover centres and fullback.

It's a good looking lineup though, with some quality backs. Not much is gonna get past that midfield (no, not even DeVillers and Spies). The backrow have gotta provide some quality ball, and this is why Wallace has been picked imo. He needs to use his extra physicality to secure the ball, and with Heaslip, Jenkins, O'Connell and Wyn-Jones alongside him I've got every confidence they will.

This should be one hell of a test, I think it'll be close but SA to edge a thriller.

Full confidence here that the Lions will take this first test. The Boks won't know what hit 'em ;)

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Bull @ Jun 18 2009, 01:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I was a bit worried about the Boks front row but now that the Lions don't even have Sheridan on the bench I'm a lot less worried. Also Jones in front of O'Gara?[/b]

Kinda ironic you saying that when Gethin Jenkins is starting, who is miles ahead of Sheridan, and had the upper hand against his opposite SA number (Smit I think) in the Autumn. Just wish Euan Murray wasn't injured :( would've loved to see him out-scrummage Beast again.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Logorrhea @ Jun 19 2009, 12:02 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I'm still pished Ferris wont be around as his power could have made a difference but I really think Williams is too lightweight for the nasty stuff at the breakdown, especially in the opening exchanges. I dont think Wallace will fare much better but at least we know Williams and Jones will come in when the game loosens up in the final 30 or so. Its a pretty good bench to have. They better damn well use it wisely and early.[/b]
Yeah, I agree with that. And Wallace is the only one who can catch Spies on the break!

Still think they should have gone with ROG. Will have to wait for the catch-up test.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (shtove @ Jun 18 2009, 06:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Logorrhea @ Jun 19 2009, 12:02 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm still pished Ferris wont be around as his power could have made a difference but I really think Williams is too lightweight for the nasty stuff at the breakdown, especially in the opening exchanges. I dont think Wallace will fare much better but at least we know Williams and Jones will come in when the game loosens up in the final 30 or so. Its a pretty good bench to have. They better damn well use it wisely and early.[/b]
Yeah, I agree with that. And Wallace is the only one who can catch Spies on the break!
[/b][/quote]

Stop being dishonest.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Hall @ Jun 19 2009, 07:11 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (shtove @ Jun 18 2009, 06:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Logorrhea @ Jun 19 2009, 12:02 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
[/b][/quote]

Stop being dishonest.

[/b][/quote]
Wot! Wallace has the pace.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (shtove @ Jun 18 2009, 08:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Hall @ Jun 19 2009, 07:11 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
[/b][/quote]

Stop being dishonest.

[/b][/quote]
[/b][/quote]
Not nearly as much as Croft though
Though being English places Croft in the overrated/crap players pile, obviously :p

Exactly what I was going to say, Croft is easily the fastest forward in a Lions jersey.

And not even he can catch Spies. Nobody can; not even wings who admittedly have no pace.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Olyy @ Jun 19 2009, 07:51 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (shtove @ Jun 18 2009, 08:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
[/b][/quote]

Stop being dishonest.

[/b][/quote]
[/b][/quote]
Not nearly as much as Croft though
Though being English places Croft in the overrated/crap players pile, obviously :p

[/b][/quote]
Munsterman will be along shortly with all the stats ...

Bowe v Spies could be embarassing - except Bowe would knock the ball out of his hands and score at the other end, running backwards while singing The Black Velvet Band and gargling a pint of guinness.

I wasn't suggesting he could catch Spies, just that Croft is a fairly quick back-rower ;)

No he isn't. He's English. Therefore crap.

What we need is an all Irish XV. Whom all play for Munster...

*cough*

Wallace is a more physical 7 but hes not been that impressive on Tour, had Williams not been injured for those two games I would have expected him to start. Wallace is not the link man Williams is, Williams wins ball on the floor better than any NH 7 and does at times act as an extra back. But saying that Wallace is a good player and is a physical player.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Teh Mite @ Jun 19 2009, 08:46 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
No he isn't. He's English. Therefore crap.

What we need is an all Irish XV. Whom all play for Munster...

*cough*[/b]
Bejasus, you're showin' a bit o' balls - at last.

fighting-irish.gif

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (shtove @ Jun 18 2009, 11:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
[/b][/quote]

Stop being dishonest.

[/b][/quote]
[/b][/quote]

Spies still threat for Lions

Especially for Lions' fans who run this site

Spies will look like this in their dreams

angel-of-death-756354.jpg

Pffff Spies.....overrated. Pretty much we can expect this from the start on saturday:
gallery_5897_117_12469.jpg

Latest posts