• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

1st time playing hooker, tips?

P

paella

I might have to stand in as hooker this weekend, it'll be my first match of the season and I haven't played for about a year. I used to play loosehead/flanker.

Any tips? I don't really want to know how to kill the other guy, just things to watch out for and any does and don'ts.

Thanks.
P.

Hey,

Playing hooker you are expected to perfom several key roles, the most obvious of all is hooking the ball in the scrum on your put in try to hook with either the heal or inside of your right foot striking the ball back firmly! against the head I tend to use the right foot again or just try boring in on there hooker (might not be good if you dont want to get stick back on your ball). Another one to try once or twice in a game is to kick the ball as hard as you can to there side (depends on there second row and number eight/flankers ability) this can really put them under pressure or just send the ball straight out the back for your scrum half to contest for. Basically against the head the name of the game is disruption. On your ball you want a solid base you will need to work as one with your props and speak to them LOTS!! Your in control in that scrum so make sure everyone knows it! Agression is another important thing as you probably know from your time at loose head it's the best place to get in the face of your oppo.

Lineouts are another vital part of your game (if your team chooses to have you throw the ball in). Concentrate on where the ball is headed I myself reapet the call twice so I know and evey one else knows where I'm throwing it (our No 4 makes the call I reapeat it) 2 balls go flat and hard if they have a particularly tall jumper at the front try tucking it into your jumpers chest just make sure he knows your gonna do this. for the 4 ball you have to lob the ball almost like a basket ball shot the higher the better obviously dependant on wind just make sure it gets over there 2 jumper. Once the ball is been thrown your job is not over you are most likely going to be doing one of 4 things next:

A: Joining a maul following the lineout
B: Pouncing on a loose ball that could have been knocked your side of the lineout or theres so stay aware
C: Support the srum half on a looping run
D: Get in support of your back line (If they havnt already knocked it on)

Open play is a funny one hooker should be a master at all trades or atleast thats my views. very similar to your flanker role you should be hungry for the ball in defence aggressive fast and supporting the pack in contact situations rucks and mauls. When in attacke you have options depends on your strengths and the strengths of the team if you know your going to be spinning it out to your backs all the time get behind your centres, at the breakdown if not already involved in the ruck/maul/tackle and either be first to the next break down or take the pass from your centres. always be looking for the space defend the blind sides. It wil all seem to fall into place when your playing and alot of it you will do natrually.

Just consentrate on putting pressure on there S/H at the lineouts and breakdowns make his life hell give him no space or quater. Beat your opposite man, win your own put in at the scrum, throw the ball in straight and you have done your job. The rest is all a bonus!

Any questions feel free to ask.

FRU

Latest posts