• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

2009/2010 Heineken Cup Draw

M

MunsterMan

Heineken Cup Pools Draw 2009/10 will be streamed live

The draw for the composition of the six Pools of four teams each for the 15th Heineken Cup tournament will take place in Paris Tuesday at 12 noon local time and will be streamed live on ercrugby.com
Leinster will be defending the ***le they won at Murrayfield last month when the 2009/10 competition kicks-off on the weekend of 9 / 10 / 11 October and climaxes in the 2010 final at Stade de France on Saturday, 22 May, 2010.

The draw will be made by ERC Chairman Jean-Pierre Lux and will be streamed live on ercrugby.com.

Timings 12 noon French time / 11am UK and Ireland

Heineken Cup 2009/10 Teams and Tiers
TIER 1
Munster, Leicester Tigers, Leinster, Toulouse, Bath Rugby, Biarritz Olympique Pays Basque
TIER 2
Cardiff Blues, Stade Français Paris, Gloucester Rugby, Perpignan, Ospreys, London Irish
TIER 3
Northampton Saints, Sale Sharks, ASM Clermont Auvergne, Scarlets, Ulster Rugby, Newport Gwent Dragons
TIER 4
Harlequins, Glasgow Warriors, Edinburgh, Benetton Treviso, Brive, Viadana

Heineken Cup Pool Draw Format

Key Principles
• For the purpose of the draw the 24 qualified teams are ranked based on their ERC European rankings and are divided into four Tiers. Rankings are based on European performance over the past four seasons in the Heineken Cup and knock-out stages of the European Challenge Cup.

• Each Pool will have one team from each of the four Tier levels.

• No two teams from the same country will be drawn in the same Pool except for the seventh club from England (Harlequins based on European Ranking) which will be drawn into a Pool with another English team.

• The winner of the Heineken Cup (Leinster) will be seeded in the first Tier and will be drawn into a Pool first.

http://www.ercrugby.com/eng/12_12775.php

----------------------------------------------------------

Gloucester, Dragons and Brive please! :D But it will be Cardiff, Clermont and Quins. Group of death once more <_<

that's normally the beauty of the HEC getting to play all the different teams but we seem to get stuck with Embra and Munster with Clermont, mind you those Munster Clermont games are usually a treat, not so with Edinburgh Leinster.

Heres hoping for Munster, Stade , Sale and Quins just to stick it to yas again :p

That aside I suppose the best possible draw from a Leinster perspective would be someting like Gloucester, Dragons and Brive. Can't see us getting an Italian side really and if wedo we get stuck with a french and and english team

As a Blues fan, a good pool to me would be Bath, Cardiff Blues, Ulster and Treviso. Bath seem to be in a shambles atm, and they're really gonna miss Lipman and Crockett imo, Ulster are nowhere near as good as they used to be and the Blues would most likely trample all over Treviso.

Guys, you might want to buy tickets for the 2010 final in Paris.

Seriously, half have gone already!!!

There's no point praying for weaker sides to join Llanelli because the likelihood is we're screwed no matter what happens. :(
Biarritz as top seeds would make things a little easier though, but I have a feeling Munster are going to pop up. :wah:

BUT HURRAY. WE WON'T GET CLERMONT NO MATTER WHAT!
emotawesomexg7.gif

Edit:
Mod Prestwick says:

I_detect_fail.jpg

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Sir. Speedy @ Jun 8 2009, 05:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
BUT HURRAY. WE WON'T GET CLERMONT NO MATTER WHAT!
emotawesomexg7.gif
[/b]

Because, lets face it, you're not going to get anything anyway..
emotawesomexg7.gif

EDIT:
Mod Sir. says: At least we're in the European cup. Nyeh nyeh nyeh! :bleh!:

Scarlets will be a tough side next year. Made some good signings so far and got rid of the problems in the background!

You have the unfair advantage of being a super-mod.

Grant me the same abilities as you and war can officially be declared. ;)

Back on topic:

Munster, Cardiff, Clermont, 'Quins

...is the ultimate pool of death. Munster would still probably win though. ¬_¬

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Thingimubob @ Jun 8 2009, 05:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
As a Blues fan, a good pool to me would be Bath, Cardiff Blues, Ulster and Treviso. Bath seem to be in a shambles atm, and they're really gonna miss Lipman and Crockett imo, Ulster are nowhere near as good as they used to be and the Blues would most likely trample all over Treviso.[/b]
Nah you can't get that draw actually. Ya need to have a french team in you group because they can't be placed together and there are 6 of them

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (feicarsinn @ Jun 8 2009, 06:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Thingimubob @ Jun 8 2009, 05:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
As a Blues fan, a good pool to me would be Bath, Cardiff Blues, Ulster and Treviso. Bath seem to be in a shambles atm, and they're really gonna miss Lipman and Crockett imo, Ulster are nowhere near as good as they used to be and the Blues would most likely trample all over Treviso.[/b]
Nah you can't get that draw actually. Ya need to have a french team in you group because they can't be placed together and there are 6 of them
[/b][/quote]

Ahaa now I see
Well swap Brive for Treviso and bobs your uncle :D
though French teams aren't fun to play in France usually...

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Prestwick @ Jun 8 2009, 05:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Guys, you might want to buy tickets for the 2010 final in Paris.

Seriously, half have gone already!!![/b]
Got mine already. Bringing the kids to euro disney and taking in a game on the Saturday regardless of whos playing. Was sitting with a bunch of Toulouse lads supporting Leinster in Edinburgh, so wouldnt mind returning the favour.

Anyhoo, please give us an Italian team!

You guys want Viadana, they were absolutely awesome hosts and Parma was a great city!

Well The regulars Leinster, Munster, Clermont, Toulouse, Leicster, Stade and Cardiff should all be there or there abouts. If the Ospreys could play to their potential *hah* they'd be in with a shout but theyre the favourites pretty much.

Draw has just finished in Paris.

Here's the pools

Pool 1
Munster, Perpignan, Northampton, Treviso

Pool 2
Biarritz, Gloucester, Dragons, Glasgow

Pool 3
Leicester, Ospreys, Clermont, Viadana

Pool 4
Bath, Paris, Ulster, Edinburgh

Pool 5
Toulouse, Cardiff Blues, Sale, Harlequins

Pool 6
Leinster, London Irish, Scarlets, Brive

Thought Pool 4 was bad then I saw Pool 5. Ouch.

Leinster gotta be happy in my view....but shave my nostrils and call be an inverse badger, Munster have a non group of death. And their first Italian team in donkey's-years.

Latest posts