2009 international XV revisited

Discussion in 'General Rugby Union' started by stormer2010, Dec 7, 2009.

1. stormer2010

stormer2010 Guest

http://www.sarugby.com/news/News/article/sid=12757.html

My picks

15 Kearney with Mils a clear second
    14 Sivivatu has 11 on his back but I would start him. Bowe unlucky and Jane is proving himself a serious contender. Heymans noted
    13 O'Driscoll with Smith catching up during the AIs
    12 Roberts and an unlucky Nonu
    11 Habana is the best winger of 2009 for me even if he hets little ball going through the hands playing for the Bokke
    10 Carter has shown he is still the best. If I could fuse Giteau and Steyn..
    9 du Preez with a battle between Genia and Phillips for a spot on the bench
    8 Heaslip grudgingly. Spies, Read and Parisse I can't pick between. Probably Parisse
    7 Brussouw ahead of the IRB player of 2009 who takes the bench in my team. Moody impressed
    6 ? in the absence of any stand-outs maybe Elsom or might pick McCaw out of position but that wouldn't be fair
    5 Matfield although he looked a little lacklustre towards the end. O'Connell
    4 ? I'll be unfair and pick O'Connell out of position. No real stand outs otherwise for me
    3 Jones. Castrogiovani
    2 du Plessis for excellent work in the scrums and line-out as well a turn-over count for most flankers to be envious of. Hore second
    1 Jenkins. Robinson edging Barcella, Woodcock and the Beast.

2. Forum Ad Advertisement

3. I'd have to pretty much agree with that whole list. Although while I so desperately want Nonu to be good (which he could be) a lack of consistency, hands, and creativity will keep him out of "world class."

4. Nickdnz

Nickdnz Guest

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (stormer2010 @ Dec 7 2009, 10:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
    I'd pick McCaw over Brussow with Brussow on the bench. I'd also put Mils in over Kearney. I don't think they are bias decisions, I just believe they have a slight edge. They do however both have 80+ caps, so give time and Brussow and Kearney could become better. Other then that I'd think tha list is pretty good. I also think there are several players who could be chosen however do not/have not played for their national team for some reason or another that could be on the list, however judging on current internationals I'd say the list, minus openside flanker and fullback, is pretty spot on.

5. stormer2010

stormer2010 Guest

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Nickdnz @ Dec 9 2009, 09:01 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
    I'd pick McCaw over Brussow with Brussow on the bench. I'd also put Mils in over Kearney. I don't think they are bias decisions, I just believe they have a slight edge. They do however both have 80+ caps, so give time and Brussow and Kearney could become better. Other then that I'd think tha list is pretty good. I also think there are several players who could be chosen however do not/have not played for their national team for some reason or another that could be on the list, however judging on current internationals I'd say the list, minus openside flanker and fullback, is pretty spot on.
    [/b][/quote]

Well if I had to pick a side to play for my life, yes, I would without a second thought pick McCaw to start. Just thought Brussouw had a better year (.. even with McCaw winning the IRB player of the year) even when the Bokke looked out of sorts in the AIs he stood out as one of the better players and this while alot of the opposition where sealing the ball by going off feet unpunished. Mills had a good Super series and ended the AIs well but Kearney just edges it this year IMO. Props might be contentious (especially Jones missing the entire AIs but he really impressed while he played this season) as well but if the refs don't know what is going on in the scrum I won't feel to bad about being a bit in the dark as well.

6. shazbooger

shazbooger Guest

I'd add a few more Irish players. I'm not bias but I think they are better.

7. Bullitt

Bullitt Guest

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Logorrhea @ Dec 9 2009, 11:22 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>

[​IMG]

And Peter de Villiers isn't racist...

8. Charles

Charles Guest

Dusautoir at 6 wouldn't be a travesty...He's not flashy or spectacular but he does the dirty work proper, and he's been a good captain for France.

9. shazbooger

shazbooger Guest

So a New Zealanders wants more Kiwis, an Irishman wants more Irish players, a Frenchman wants more French players but none of us are bias.

The only people we can trust are the English posters. They are the only ones that DO NOT want to select their own players.

10. MunsterMan

MunsterMan Guest

Logo, just be sure to explain it nice and slowly for Mite next time you make a joke.

11. Bullitt

Bullitt Guest

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MunsterMan @ Dec 9 2009, 01:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
    Oh dear, irony was never wasted on you, was it...

12. Charles

Charles Guest

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Logorrhea @ Dec 9 2009, 02:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
    I get your point but 6 happens to be the position to fill and is probably the only position where France have a world class player.

Coincidence I tellz ya ! :D

13. MunsterMan

MunsterMan Guest

Mite, Logo's irony was lost on you, I was even tempted to lower myself to posting a face palm pic for about 3 seconds. Of course you will never admit you failed to see the obvious sarcasm in his post, so I don't know why I'm writing this. Weather is terrible these days isn't it?

JMFL for #8 based on the form he showed in the AI's, shame he won't get to own the oppositions whole back row on a regular basis until 2012 though, if he is still around.

No real standout wingers, although Habana is a good shout, I'd have Corey Jane or Tommy Bowe ahead of Sivivatu though.

#4 lock is tough as well, Romain Millo-Chluski owned Botha and Matfield, but possibly didn't do enough over the 12 months, Shaw has a good 2nd Lions test, not much else, after his 6N and AI performances, you can't really not pick O'Connell so moving him there is a good shout, but not much grunt in an O'Connell/Matfield pairing. Lineout would kick ass though!

#3 is tough to call, Castro missed a few games in the 6N, and Jones had a great second Lions test but didn't dominate in the 6N. Euan Murray missed too much, I'd give it to Jones.

#6 is tough as well, probably Rocky, you could put Harinordoquy there though which would possibly be a better option even of he played 8 most of the year.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Charles @ Dec 9 2009, 11:46 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
    Dussatoir is quality, but he is up against Brussow and McCaw for the Openside flanker position, tough competition. Would walk into a European team.

14. Bullitt

Bullitt Guest

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MunsterMan @ Dec 9 2009, 01:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
    Oh FFS...

15. Charles

Charles Guest

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MunsterMan @ Dec 9 2009, 03:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
    Dussatoir is quality, but he is up against Brussow and McCaw for the Openside flanker position, tough competition. Would walk into a European team.
    [/b][/quote]

Imanol plays Openside (7) or 8.

Dusautoir plays mainly/only blindside (6).

16. <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Charles @ Dec 9 2009, 09:15 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
    Nordokee plays 7? That's a tall-ass 7.

17. MunsterMan

MunsterMan Guest

Yeah I'm confused, I though Imanol was a 6/8 (although wears 7 when playing 6 coz he's french) and Dussatoir an Openside. They certainly play that way.

18. King_D'Arcy

King_D'Arcy Guest

D'Arcy at 12.

The rest don't matter, you've already won

19. ChiefsFan

ChiefsFan Guest

In France and SA the openside flanker plays in 6.

20. Charles

Charles Guest

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ChiefsFan @ Dec 9 2009, 11:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
    Hmmm, no.

We used to play with a left (6) and right (7) flanker (same for the centres), but now we play with OS (7) and BS (6).

This may have something to do with how we define the roles in France as well. Blinside is mainly a defensive role: tackling and stealing balls. Openside is more attack oriented, support the play, and you have to be a very technique player.
    THis definition might be heavily influenced by the Betsen Magne pairing actually...

21. stormer2010

stormer2010 Guest

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Charles @ Dec 9 2009, 01:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
    Think Dusautoir is terriblt underrated much as i think is the case with Danie Rossouw and Juan Smith in SA and a young Cheetahs player Frans Viljoen is our best 7 IMO(6 internatioanl) but won't get a call up for the Boks unfortunately.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ruggersp @ Dec 9 2009, 08:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
    Nordokee plays 7? That's a tall-ass 7.
    [/b][/quote]

I have to admit i am thoroughly confused re the flankers. Harinord.. is a great player as is Dusautoir as is Millo at lock. Think I might have been bias against some French players because of Lievremont's selection policies seeming to lean towards rotation which damage the reps of players at an international level somewhat IMO.

Enjoyed this thread? Register to post your reply - click here!